Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

What happens if a dynamaxed Pokemon activates a red card? will it get phased out and will it be able to dynamax again for the remainign turns if it is send out again?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
A few more notes:

This is what i have been wondering. Does it change it to a pure grass/fairy/ect, or does only 1 of its types change?
Galarian Stunfisk turns into pure Grass on Grassy Terrain and pure Electric on Electric Terrain. I haven't seen the other terrains.

If you are regular size and have only 0 PP moves and click "Fight", it makes you Struggle so you can never click Dynamax.
If you are already Dynamaxed and run out of moves, you Struggle while staying big.

Screen Cleaner does not affect Safeguard.
Screen Cleaner does remove screens from opposing side.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Is Fishious Rend boosted by Strong Jaw? If so, does the boost apply before or after Fishious Rend's doubling effect?

If you dynamax with a substitute up, does your substitute remain? I'm more wondering if your dynamax'd pokemon will actually stay on the field since substitute usually replaces your pokemon entirely.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Not really able to test damage boost by Choice Band right now, but this is what happens re: locking you into a move:
While Dynamaxed and holding Choice Band, you aren't locked into any move at all and can pick any of your moves freely.
If you locked yourself into a move with Choice Band before Dynamaxing, you get locked back into it once Dynamax wears off.

Do we know if Contrary lowers your stats when using Max Moves that increase stats? I ask because in Gen 7, omniboost Z moves like Z-Celebrate didn't lower stats for Pokemon like Malamar.
Dynamaxed Contrary Inkay using Max Airstream gets a Speed drop instead of a boost.

Last edited:
Im thinking about the trolling in max raid battles. Does perish song works on max raid battles? Can i heal pulse raid boss. What happens if setup and kill everyone with earthquake? Can i target my team mates? What are the raid boss random effects?

Not really able to test damage boost by Choice Band right now, but this is what happens re: locking you into a move:
While Dynamaxed and holding Choice Band, you aren't locked into any move at all and can pick any of your moves freely.
If you locked yourself into a move with Choice Band before Dynamaxing, you get locked back into it once Dynamax wears off.

Dynamaxed Contrary Inkay using Max Airstream gets a Speed drop instead of a boost.
Out of curiosity, if you lock yourself into a move with Gorilla Tactics, does the same effect apply? Or are you locked in while Dynamaxed?

Out of curiosity, if you lock yourself into a move with Gorilla Tactics, does the same effect apply? Or are you locked in while Dynamaxed?
Gorilla Tactics still applies the lock properly, from what I've heard.

That makes me think that Choice items, and Choice items specifically, might be disabled during Dynamax. SURELY they would not be nuts enough to actually let you buff moves to be stronger than Z moves with no disadvantage.

Gorilla Tactics still applies the lock properly, from what I've heard.

That makes me think that Choice items, and Choice items specifically, might be disabled during Dynamax. SURELY they would not be nuts enough to actually let you buff moves to be stronger than Z moves with no disadvantage.
Even if you don't get the boost while dynamaxing a choiced pokemon is still great because you can change your attack without switching and get any buffs those come with, and after the d-max is over you still have whatever buffs you accrued on the choice locked pokemon.

Last edited:
But can you pick another move on the turn you Dynamax?

Anubis

HONK
But can you pick another move on the turn you Dynamax?
Yes, you can pick any move on the Dynamax turn.

I noticed incidentally: Super Fang on a Dynamaxed mon did less than usual: Dynamax Corviknight with ended up with 166/249 HP, may need more testing.

I noticed incidentally: Super Fang on a Dynamaxed mon did less than usual: Dynamax Corviknight with ended up with 166/249 HP, may need more testing.
That's damage equal to half the base HP. Looks like it ignores the Dynamax boost.

Endeavor would be worth testing then. If it follows the same route as Super Fang, it should reduce the target's HP to (User's HP + Target's Dynamax HP boost)

Last edited:
Yes, you can pick any move on the Dynamax turn.

Deals 1/3 instead of 1/2. Makes sense -- doesn't make the move useless vs Dynamax, but doesn't let the mechanic be trivialised by it.

Is that on a level 0 Dynamax or higher?

I would guess that Leech Seed etc also ignore the Dynamax boost.

Anubis

HONK
What happens if a dynamaxed Pokemon activates a red card? will it get phased out and will it be able to dynamax again for the remainign turns if it is send out again?
The Red Card is activated, but nothing happens to the Dynamaxed mon. The message is "The move was blocked by the power of Dynamax!"
I suspect other phazing moves may be blocked too if someone wants to test them.

Also noting that Life Orb seems to use the base HP as well. Dynamaxed Mimikyu went from 97-> 84/262, base HP 131.

Is that on a level 0 Dynamax or higher?
Should be level 0. It has no bars.

Also noting that Life Orb seems to use the base HP as well. Dynamaxed Mimikyu went from 97-> 84/262, base HP 131.
That pretty much settles it. Dynamaxed HP is not part of any calculation that involves a percentage of HP.

Which makes sense, as it would be way too easily countered otherwise (Endeavor pending judgement).

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
Someone asked this on Hoeen's stream:
Dynamax Golisopod's Emergency Exit still removes it from battle, and it comes back regular sized. Likely Wimp Out is the same way.

I happened to run into Eiscue in the Battle Tower, and its Ice Face doesn't regenerate while Hail is up. It did come back when it used the move Hail and the weather started.

I happened to run into Eiscue in the Battle Tower, and its Ice Face doesn't regenerate while Hail is up. It did come back when it used the move Hail and the weather started.
I hear the screams of those who were planning to use Hail stall =(

Have you run across Perish Body Cursola to see its activation rate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)