OMPL VIII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Now that we have our first piece of OMPL information in the manager choices, I'd like to post my manager rankings.

1. Jrdn
Jrdn did an great job last OMPL, with his team The Head Honchkrows having an incredible 5-1-1 regular season. They entered playoffs the clear frontrunner of the tournament, but got eliminated in a super unfortunate semifinals matchup vs the klinks. Just based on managers, I think jrdn has the best chance of winning this ompl because of his superior OM knowledge, knowing his way around which players to actually draft, and actually being able to play this year (16k jrdn is a gigantic steal LOL). Just based on managers, this is going to be one of my favorite teams to watch this year. If I were a player, I'd want to end up on this team for so many reasons.

2. Funbot28
Funbot and the magearnas' season was cut short last year because of a couple unfortunate ties and losses right before playoffs. Although they started out the season at the top, they quickly fell off as the klinks gained momentum and took their spot. However, being this team's assistant manager last year, the team dynamic was incredible and Funbot's spot as a top OM player and builder means as a player, you get a ton of support. This is the team to be on if you're looking to break into the OM scene. I'm excited to see how funbot does this year, and I have a ton of hope that they'll do better now, especially with funbot able to play (again, 16k is a steal asf).

3. xavgb
Stresh is one of my favorite OM players, and for good reason. As a multi-meta threat, I'm excited to see how he'll hold up managing this year, since I think this is his ompl non-playing debut. Coming off a decent 4-3 season with the mags last year, I think stresh will be one of the best managers to be with because of his knowledge and incredible play across all of the main metagames. On this team, you'll get a ton of support as a player, and you'll almost definitely have a good season (also, 16k xavgb. lol.)

4. OM Room
Last year's tyrantrums, lead by Drampa and OM, had a decent tie-filled season that ended in a playoff loss vs Ransei's jolteons. OM just barely sits below the top half of managers, but don't count him out. He's a great player and a great guy to be around, so I expect this team's morale to be pretty high no matter how their season goes. I can definitely see an OM-lead team going all the way, but he might struggle a bit vs the top 3. As for a 16k manager price? It depends. I'd personally value OM a little under that, but I wouldn't call his decision to buy himself heinous.

5. chazm
I think chazm is a good manager, but he definitely falls short in some aspects and that puts him pretty far below the "top 3" managers above. He had an incredible season last year and he was at the top of the mix and mega field, however, I think he struggles when trying to support non-mnm players (and he should only be buying non-mnm players, 16k is underpay for chazm and I'm excited to see what he brings to mnm this year). I have no doubt that this is a team to watch out for this year as I trust chazm's drafting skills, but only time will tell.

6. Catalystic
I don't know much about cata other than his near-ghosting ban (go zyg and 1k here). He didn't have a great season on the klinks krows last year, and he ended up going 1-5 vs a good mnm and a mediocre stab field. His only victory last year comes from a mnm match vs non-om player tony, which let's face it, isn't a great feat. I don't think cata will be a bad manager, but I don't think he'll lead his team to anything particularly stellar, but that all depends on his draft plan.

7. The Immortal
Let's face it. TI's draft plan last year was not good, and it showed with his team sitting near the bottom of the rankings at the end of the season. He made us wait like half an hour for a couple of mediocre picks, and spent half of his budget two players who didn't really live up to their expectations. I don't really trust TI's meta knowledge to fully support his team, and as a player I'd be a bit bummed to end up on his version of the blisseys this year, unless something really turns around. Also please stop with the plew plew meme. It's garbage.

8. SBPC
I don't really know this guy. At all. From his signup post, I can assume that he'll be pretty good NFE support, but honestly how much support does that metagame need, there's like 8 viable mons lol. I'm assuming he'll be decent at NFE because he's a roommod (and he'll probably snatch up all of the good NFE players because nobody really knows who's good at that tier), but I really can't say anything for sure. I don't trust his ability to support players of the big 4 OMs. Will he buy himself? Who knows. If I was drafting, would definitely spend less than 16k on my NFE budget since it doesn't seem like you really need anything special to play it, and I'm sure he could snag some better NFE players for way less than 16k because they're all relatively unheard of in the OM comunity.

Now, let's see who didn't get picked as a manager.

The big ones: Chloe, Mamp, Ham, Mark K, willdbeast
Personally, I think chloe got shafted the most, since she had a great playoff run last year. I'd be excited to see the klinks in action again this year, but I guess that won't be an option.
Mamp would definitely run a fun team. He did decently well last ompl coming in with a 4-3 record, but I think this could've been way better. I'm disappointed I won't be able to see him managing, but we'll see how he does playing if he decides to pick up gen 8.
Ham is a super solid player and I'd trust him as a manager. Not sure how his team would do, but I could definitely see a team lead by him getting to playoffs.
Mark had a very unfortunate season last year, tying with TI and the blisseys for last. Unfortunately he won't be managing again this year, but I definitely think he learned some valuable managing lessons, and he'd do a way better job this time around.
willdbeast got robbed. free the new era bedroom blisseys

Last edited:
7. The Immortal
Let's face it. TI's draft plan last year was not good, and it showed with his team sitting near the bottom of the rankings at the end of the season. He made us wait like half an hour for a couple of mediocre picks, and spent half of his budget two players who didn't really live up to their expectations. I don't really trust TI's meta knowledge to fully support his team, and as a player I'd be a bit bummed to end up on his version of the blisseys this year, unless something really turns around.
I agree. TI was clearly the inferior choice of Blissey manager and without his corrupt machinations he would have never gotten chosen.

With that said, good luck to all teams! (except TI)

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hey, so under a week ago I was approached by Ransei, the host of this tournament, asking if I'd be able to manage this year around. Obviously, my answer was a yes. I enjoy these tournaments, and am very passionate about the OM community, despite the leadership attempting to force me out time and time again.
[2020-03-26]
[23:20:39] Ransei: do you plan to manage with the same team as last year/have the same co-manager or have you came up with different plans
[23:20:53] Chloe: i plan to manage the klinks again
[23:20:58] Chloe: pigeons doesnt wanna manage afaik
[23:21:05] Chloe: so i might find a new co
[23:21:12] Ransei: ah
What disheartens me even more is that less than a week later, I find out, after previously being asked out of nowhere if I'd be managing, that I am no longer a choice for manager. Now I'd truly understand this if I'd previously had terrible runs in OMPL, but I've managed three times and achieved 1st/6 in 2016, 3rd/8 in 2018 and 2nd/8 in 2019 respectively. I'm passionate about managing for a section's premier league, whose leadership clearly doesn't want me here.

I'm told that I'm not a better choice than any of the managers, which makes no sense. I have consistent results every year, I've shown dedication to this community time and time again. The only thing that's happened since that Ransei PM a week ago, is me questioning the format selection of the tournament. This understandably put TI in kind of an awkward position, which he got a lot of criticism for, so he flipped his position and allowed the managers to decide.

If it wasn't clear enough, The leadership always intended to include me prior to our disagreement over formats. Here is TI involving me in choosing the art for the tournament lol. Why would he do this if he planned to exclude me. It makes no sense. It was a last second decision, in which he let personal biases get in the way of.

I don't blame Ransei for this at all, since I'm sure it was 100% Ransei's intention to initially include me in this tournament, but TI in all his great wisdom, after being forced to argue with the community, decided last second to exclude me. If I'd done something wrong, I'd also understand this, but I haven't. I've just been shafted, because I dared to disagree with TI on anything. Thank you for reading.

Hey, so under a week ago I was approached by Ransei, the host of this tournament, asking if I'd be able to manage this year around. Obviously, my answer was a yes. I enjoy these tournaments, and am very passionate about the OM community, despite the leadership attempting to force me out time and time again.

What disheartens me even more is that less than a week later, I find out, after previously being asked out of nowhere if I'd be managing, that I am no longer a choice for manager. Now I'd truly understand this if I'd previously had terrible runs in OMPL, but I've managed three times and achieved 1st/6 in 2016, 3rd/8 in 2018 and 2nd/8 in 2019 respectively. I'm passionate about managing for a section's premier league, whose leadership clearly doesn't want me here.

I'm told that I'm not a better choice than any of the managers, which makes no sense. I have consistent results every year, I've shown dedication to this community time and time again. The only thing that's happened since that Ransei PM a week ago, is me questioning the format selection of the tournament. This understandably put TI in kind of an awkward position, which he got a lot of criticism for, so he flipped his position and allowed the managers to decide.

If it wasn't clear enough, The leadership always intended to include me prior to our disagreement over formats. Here is TI involving me in choosing the art for the tournament lol. Why would he do this if he planned to exclude me. It makes no sense. It was a last second decision, in which he let personal biases get in the way of.

I don't blame Ransei for this at all, since I'm sure it was 100% Ransei's intention to initially include me in this tournament, but TI in all his great wisdom, after being forced to argue with the community, decided last second to exclude me. If I'd done something wrong, I'd also understand this, but I haven't. I've just been shafted, because I dared to disagree with TI on anything. Thank you for reading.
Have you called the police?

i don't play OMs but the immortal sounds like a massive clown and loser, sorry you have to deal with this chloe
Hi! Since you're not from here, I feel the need to provide you with a real response and perhaps it will change your opinion. Chloe has no involvement in Other Metagames. She does not contribute to this section whatsoever. Perhaps that is the reason she was not selected from a pool of more than enough qualified, involved, and deserving candidates. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you try out some of our formats!

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hi! Since you're not from here, I feel the need to provide you with a real response and perhaps it will change your opinion. Chloe has no involvement in Other Metagames. She does not contribute to this section whatsoever. Perhaps that is the reason she was not selected from a pool of more than enough qualified, involved, and deserving candidates. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you try out some of our formats!
I have substantial involvement in the section, know the player pool much much better than you, I participated thoroughly in OMGS, made it fairly far in M&M Open, AAA Open and STAB Open, but please feel free to tell me how I don't contribute to this section. I manage for OMPL every single year, I do well every year, the community wants me to manage. I was OM leader with you for years, but please feel free to tell me how I don't contribute to this section.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
wasn't she literally the om tier leader for years? hasn't she had and listed three successful ompl teams on this thread??
i'm sure the other managers are more than qualified, but why are we outright lying

Perhaps that is the reason she was not selected from a pool of more than enough qualified, involved, and deserving candidates.
7. The Immortal
Let's face it. TI's draft plan last year was not good, and it showed with his team sitting near the bottom of the rankings at the end of the season. He made us wait like half an hour for a couple of mediocre picks, and spent half of his budget two players who didn't really live up to their expectations. I don't really trust TI's meta knowledge to fully support his team, and as a player I'd be a bit bummed to end up on his version of the blisseys this year, unless something really turns around. Also please stop with the plew plew meme. It's garbage.
:smogthink: free chloe

isn't TI the guy who only has his smogon status because.... he knows how to code? not to mention that the rumor has it that he's done some pretty shady stuff with his power in the past with bots and the like :smogthink:... I just think its funny and sad to see somebody openly disrespect and lie about somebody who worked so hard to make this subforum what it is today. its pretty obvious that chloe is far more qualified than many of these managers, and it's just going to lower the overall quality of the tour.

Ransei, why are you just letting this happen? Don't you get a say in all of this? Don't just be a puppet leader, you're the host, he's a manager, and you're a whole co-leader of Other Metagames. Step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)