Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but in addition to ignoring Unnerve, Teatime also ignores Magic Room and Klutz. I tested in-game and under Magic Room, my Polteageist ate its Petaya Berry, the opponent's Swirlix ate the Salac Berry I tricked onto it, and the Milcery I gave Klutz ate the Ganlon Berry I tricked onto it.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Neutralizing Gas as an ability cannot be acquired via another effect (thanks to Cracticus for helping to test).
  • Using Skill Swap with or against Neutralizing Gas causes it to "But it failed!"
  • Using Role Play against Neutralizing Gas causes it to "But it failed!"
  • Using Entrainment with Neutralizing Gas causes it to "But it failed!"
  • Worry Seed, Simple Beam, and Entrainment can all override Neutralizing Gas when used against it
  • Gastro Acid successfully suppresses Neutralizing Gas
    • This allows us to test other abilities that would normally be suppressed by Neutralizing Gas's ability-stopping property, by suppressing Neutralizing Gas itself
  • Wandering Spirit does not interact with suppressed Neutralizing Gas
  • Mummy will override a suppressed Neutralizing Gas
  • Receiver fails to take suppressed Neutralizing Gas on faint (I think this is Receiver failing to acquire Neutralizing Gas, and not simply missing the timing; normally when NGas faints it displays a message indicating it wore off, but it doesn't do that while affected by Gastro Acid)
  • Trace cannot copy a suppressed Neutralizing Gas
Of course, moves like Skill Swap or Role Play work just fine in trading abilities around with other targets while Neutralizing Gas is active (they just won't do anything until Neutralizing Gas leaves the field).

Last edited:
Neutralizing Gas as an ability cannot be acquired via another effect.
  • Using Skill Swap with or against Neutralizing Gas causes it to "But it failed!"
  • Using Role Play against Neutralizing Gas causes it to "But it failed!"
  • Using Entrainment with Neutralizing Gas causes it to "But it failed!"
  • Worry Seed, Simple Beam, and Entrainment can all override Neutralizing Gas when used against it
  • Gastro Acid successfully suppresses Neutralizing Gas
    • This allows us to test other abilities that would normally be suppressed by Neutralizing Gas's ability-stopping property, by suppressing Neutralizing Gas itself
  • Wandering Spirit does not interact with suppressed Neutralizing Gas
  • Mummy will override a suppressed Neutralizing Gas
  • Receiver fails to take suppressed Neutralizing Gas on faint (I think this is Receiver failing to acquire Neutralizing Gas, and not simply missing the timing; normally when NGas faints it displays a message indicating it wore off, but it doesn't do that while affected by Gastro Acid)
Of course, moves like Skill Swap or Role Play work just fine in trading abilities around with other targets while Neutralizing Gas is active (they just won't do anything until Neutralizing Gas leaves the field).
Would the edge scenario of Mold Breaker Skill Swap/Role Play/Entrainment cause them to work against Neutralizing Gas?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How does parental bond work with max moves? Does it work at all?
It didn't do anything special when I tried with Max Darkness and Max Starfall :(

SadisticMystic asked what would happen if a Pokemon's Dynamax level was set to 255 since they allocated an entire byte to it. The game simply treats it as a 2x HP boost and not a 14x HP boost, and looking at the Pokemon's summary screen crashes the game.

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
The location of Technician in the base power modifiers used to be after several other effects, including Battery and Auras. However, Game Freak moved this check forward in Generation 8. Technician is now the first modifier checked in the list of base power modifiers.
  • 100 Attack level 50 Corphish with Technician and an ally Steely Spirit using Metal Claw into a 110 Defense Mewtwo: 43 damage
  • 100 Attack level 50 Corphish with Technician and an ally Power Spot uses Metal Claw into a 110 Defense Mewtwo: 36 damage
  • 75 Sp. Atk level 50 Charjabug with Technician, an ally having its Battery, using Charge Beam into 111 Sp. Def Mewtwo: 39 damage
  • 70 Sp. Atk level 50 Corphish with Technician, an ally with Fairy Aura using Draining Kiss into 85 Sp. Def Spritzee: 36 damage
  • 100 Attack level 50 Corphish with Technician, an ally with Fairy Aura using Spirit Break vs 88 Def Spritzee with ally Aura Break: 25 damage.
^Note the last two tests required hacking, which was done by Anubis. Anubis helped me test the first 3 as well, as well as the test below. SadisticMystic has verified the numbers show Technician happens first.

Additionally, it was previously known that Fishious Rend's 2x multiplier was a base power multiplier, but we didn't know if it more like Assurance and Acrobatics (moves with custom base power) or more like Facade or Brine (a proper base power modifier). Thanks to Rollout Storage, we can verify which Fishious Rend is by using a Rollout into a Mimikyu once and 4 other times into normal targets (creating a 16x Rollout Storage BP multiplier) and checking if the base power is merely 85*16 (this means Fishious Rend's 2x effect is like Acrobatics) or 85*16*2 (this means Fishious Rend's 2x effect is like Facade). From testing, it turned out that the base power was only 85*16, so Fishious Rend is a move with custom base power.
  • 16x Rollout Storage-boosted Fishious Rend from level 10 Bonsly with 24 Attack into a switched in Reshiram with 236 Defense: 16 damage
Would the edge scenario of Mold Breaker Skill Swap/Role Play/Entrainment cause them to work against Neutralizing Gas?
After first nullifying Neutralizing Gas with Gastro Acid, Mold Breaker Skill Swap and Role Play are still unable to take Neutralizing Gas. Entrainment doesn't really apply because you already can use it on Neutralizing Gas; it's just that if a Neutralizing Gas itself uses Entrainment on another Pokemon, that will fail (and so Mold Breaker doesn't interact).

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
PS Admin
Some notes on a couple of the new G-Max moves released in Series 4 of Battle Stadium:
  • If Garbodor obtains Corrosion, it can poison Steel- and Poison-types with G-Max Malodor (normally, G-Max Malodor respects poison immunities).
  • Machamp's G-Max Chi Strike boosts the user's critical hit stage by 1.
    • It boosts both the user and its ally's crit rate in doubles.
    • G-Max Chi Strike has no indicator in the Y-info screen.
    • Multiple G-Max Chi Strike can grant multiple critical hit rate stages.
  • Video of above 3
    • G-Max Chi Strike is totally independent from Focus Energy. You can have Focus Energy and gain additional crit rate from G-Max Chi Strike, or vice versa.
    • The crit rate from G-Max Chi Strike is copied by Psych Up (same as Focus Energy)
    • Simple does not increase the crit rate obtained from G-Max Chi Strike. For example, using Simple G-Max Chi Strike once while Gigantamaxed, then Cross Chop afterwards does not have a guaranteed crit rate.
    • The effects of G-Max Chi Strike cannot be Baton Passed (this is unlike Focus Energy).

Last edited:

ani ibi procidat

Banned deucer.
Good-Evening ! I have been attempting recently to understand the mechanics of the move «Slack Off» but with largely no successful. I think there must be a complication that I do not understand ! Has any of you done some researches on this concept ?

Has any testing been done on how Mirror Armor and Magic Bounce interact? Because I had a weird thing with it on Showdown where it reflected a move reflected by Magic Bounce and wanted to know if that is the correct behavior or a bug?

Has any testing been done on how Mirror Armor and Magic Bounce interact? Because I had a weird thing with it on Showdown where it reflected a move reflected by Magic Bounce and wanted to know if that is the correct behavior or a bug?
Which move was it? If it reflected Screech or something like that, this behaviour might actually be reasonable. If it reflected something like Stealth Rock instead, then something REALLY messed up.

• Machamp's G-Max Chi Strike boosts the user's critical hit stage by 1.
  • It boosts both the user and its ally's crit rate in doubles.
  • G-Max Chi Strike has no indicator in the Y-info screen.
  • Multiple G-Max Chi Strike can grant multiple critical hit rate stages.
  • G-Max Chi Strike is totally independent from Focus Energy. You can have Focus Energy and gain additional crit rate from G-Max Chi Strike, or vice versa.
  • The crit rate from G-Max Chi Strike is copied by Psych Up (same as Focus Energy)
  • If your crit rate is boosted by Focus Energy and G-Max Chi Strike, and you then use Psych Up, do you lose those boosts? What if you use Transform?
  • If you copy your opponent's G-Max Chi Strike boosts via Psych Up, then use it yourself, what happens on your "fourth" boost?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
PS Admin
  • If your crit rate is boosted by Focus Energy and G-Max Chi Strike, and you then use Psych Up, do you lose those boosts? What if you use Transform?
  • If you copy your opponent's G-Max Chi Strike boosts via Psych Up, then use it yourself, what happens on your "fourth" boost?
  • Transform copies G-Max Chi Strike critical hit boosts.
  • Using Psych Up on a Pokemon without Focus Energy or any G-Max Chi Strike boosts will reset the Psych Up's user's crit rate for those effects to 0.
  • If you have +3 G-Max Chi Strike boost, then use G-Max Chi Strike again, the user will not gain any additional critical hit boosts (capped at +3).
Additionally:
  • Topsy Turvy fails to invert a +3 boosted crit rate from G-Max Chi Strike.
  • If G-Max Chi Strike is used with an ally Contrary Pokemon, the crit rate is still increased.
  • The effects of G-Max Chi Strike cannot be removed via Haze nor Clear Smog.
Thanks to Cracticus for helping test.

Out of curiosity, when Parting Shot triggers an Eject Pack, do both Pokémon switch out? I seem to remember most other move-related switches being capped at one per move (with U-turn into Emergency Exit or Eject Button, for example, only one of the two takes place - I think U-turn is blocked and the other effect is allowed to trigger), but Showdown appears to let both Pokémon switch in this case, so I was curious to know if that was cartridge-accurate! I've actually only tested on Nexus and not main Showdown, but I assume it's the same for both!

Edit - SadisticMystic: oh, fantastic! Thank you so much for testing that!! C:

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
There are a few important Hackmons specific mechanical interactions that I don't think have been tested this generation.

1. In previous generations, if you have Eviolite on an NFE Pokemon with Imposter and it transforms into a fully-evolved Pokemon, it keeps the Eviolite boosts. For example, if Eviolite Imposter Munchlax transforms into Kyurem, it still gets a 50% boost to its defenses after it is transformed. The same is true for other species specific items like Light Ball: the only exceptions are Ditto's signature items. Is this still the case in this generation?

2. In SM, moves that change their own typing override abilities that change your move's types. For instance, if a Normalise Dragapult uses Multi-Attack while holding a Ghost Memory, the attack will still be Ghost-type. Is this still the case?

3. Does a Levitate Pokemon still take damage from Spikes if it's phazed in by a Mold Breaker Pokemon?

When does Blunder Policy process? Apparently if Dragon Darts misses one opponent, it hits the other one twice, and then Blunder Policy activates.

Does this mean that you can use Magician on a Brutal Swing to steal a Blunder Policy and have it activate because it missed the next target?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Does this mean that you can use Magician on a Brutal Swing to steal a Blunder Policy and have it activate because it missed the next target?
It announces the misses, then does damage, then steals the Blunder Policy, and nothing else happens. [link]
A different setup. [link]

A few extra things I'll dump here from the mechanics server, asked by SadisticMystic and TI:
- You can't use Last Resort if the last move you have is faded out and unclickable. [link]
- GMax Moves and Max Moves derived from hacked Max moves all end up with "---" base power (including Max Flare which has BP 100). [link]
- Hacking on Struggle and using it as a Max Move is still blocked by Protect. [link]

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
PS Admin
2. In SM, moves that change their own typing override abilities that change your move's types. For instance, if a Normalise Dragapult uses Multi-Attack while holding a Ghost Memory, the attack will still be Ghost-type. Is this still the case?

3. Does a Levitate Pokemon still take damage from Spikes if it's phazed in by a Mold Breaker Pokemon?
I can't test 1) but with respect to the others:

2) It still has the same order as Generation 7. Notice the difference here between "check" and "set" - the "set" of 22) will override 21).
21. check for move type changing due to Aerilate/Pixilate/Refrigerate/Normalize/Galvanize/Liquid Voice
22. set move type for Hidden Power/Judgment/Multi-Attack/Natural Gift/Revelation Dance/Techno Blast/Weather Ball/Z-Weather Ball
23. check for move type changing due to Electrify/Ion Deluge/Plasma Fists
Based on these tests in Gen 8:
  • Plasma Fists + Pixilate + Normal-type move: Fairy-type
  • Plasma Fists + Pixilate + Weather Ball: Electric-type
  • Plasma Fists + Pixilate + Weather Ball + Sunny Day: Fire-type
  • Plasma Fists + Liquid Voice + Hyper Voice: Water-type
  • Plasma Fists + Multi-Attack (no memory): Electric-type
  • Plasma Fists + Multi-Attack (Grass Memory): Grass-type
3) It still has the same behavior from previous generations. A Mold Breaker Dragon Tail forcing in Levitate Rotom will cause Rotom to become poisoned from Toxic Spikes.

Looks like Symbiosis is bugged again; big surprise there. Indeedee sets Psychic Terrain, consumes its Psychic Seed, Oranguru uses Symbiosis to send over a Repel, and Indeedee consumes the Repel immediately, treating it as another Psychic Seed bonus. This doesn't happen in USUM. No clue if it works with any other items that can't normally be consumed.
This was patched at some point, as I can't reproduce this in version 1.1.1.

Other stuff:
Pokemon in the semi-invulnerable state are considered to be ungrounded for purposes of things like Terrain benefits. For example, a Dragapult affected by Yawn in the middle of Misty or Electric Terrain will always fall asleep mid-Phantom Force, mid-Fly, or mid-Dive. I tested this with Fly, Dig, Phantom Force, Bounce, and Dive in Gen 8, and I know this is the behavior of Sky Drop in Gen 7 as well.

If a Pokemon is Dynamaxed and meets the conditions for Struggling (e.g. Encore + Disable, Encore + Taunt on a status move, etc.), then the Dynamaxed Pokemon will Struggle. For effects that are completely removed or disabled during Dynamax (e.g. Torment or Choice items), you can't force a Dynamaxed Struggle that way.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
PS Admin
If a Pokemon with Mirror Armor uses a move like Screech into a Pokemon with Magic Bounce, the following happens:
  1. Message that Mirror Armor Pokemon used Screech
  2. Magic Bounce announces and plays the Screech animation
  3. Mirror Armor announces and lowers the Magic Bounce Pokemon's Defense
So using Mirror Armor Screech into Magic Bounce will ultimately cause the Magic Bounce user's Defense to be lowered.

SadisticMystic discovers that the item Metronome behaves unusually with two-turn moves like Fly, Dig, or Solar Beam (independently verified by me). On the first turn of using these moves, their Metronome counter increases; that is, the Solar Beam used on turn 1, fired turn 2 will always have the ~1.2x damage multiplier applied to it. On subsequent uses, however, it increases at a normal rate. Some examples:

116 Attack level 60 Hitmontop, using Dig into an Arcanine with 197 Defense:
1st Dig: 58 damage
2nd Dig: 64 damage
3rd Dig: 77 damage
4th Dig: 79 damage
5th Dig: 88 damage

92 Sp. Atk level 72 Solrock, using Solar Beam into an Arcanine with 215 Special Defense:
1st Solar Beam: 18 damage
2nd Solar Beam: 21 damage
3rd Solar Beam: 24 damage
4th Solar Beam: 25 damage
5th Solar Beam: 28 damage

So you can see here that Dig and Solar Beam's first hits are being Metronome boosted (Metronome 1), but it still continues to linearly boost after the 1st Solar Beam (it doesn't skip to Metronome 3). Notably, this instant boost will not apply to two-turn moves that skip their charging turn (i.e. Solar Beam in sun with Metronome does not start as Metronome 1).

This does not apply to other moves like Rollout or Outrage while holding the item Metronome; they do not immediately get a boost.
59 Atk level 50 Seedot using Metronome Rollout into 105 Def Meowstic produced:
1st hit: 7
2nd hit: 17
3rd hit: 42

117 Attack level 50 Kommo-o using Metronome Outrage produced:
1st hit: into 124 Def Vileplume, 67 damage
2nd hit: into 109 Def Snorlax: 98 damage
3rd hit: into 124 Def Vileplume, 94 damage

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
PS Admin
Does this work with Corrosion too? If pokemon with Corrosion uses Dragon Tail, can a sent out Steel-type be poisoned with Toxic Spikes?
Nope, Corrosion doesn't apply the same way; setting up Dragon Tail Corrosion still doesn't Poison grounded Steel-types on switch-in.

Tangentially related; a grounded Poison-type holding Heavy-Duty Boots will still absorb Toxic Spikes on switch-in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)