Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

Looking for some help building a solid singles team with Exploud on it. Looking to avoid playing Togekiss, Excadrill, or any Rotoms simply because.... i do not think they are cool.

Any help greatly appreciated. Or resources greatly appreciated!
I’ll try to help you here, but just know that Exploud isn’t the best Pokémon out there lol, and some things pretty much outclass it as well.

What Exploud can do, pretty much unlike anything else out there, is that it can fire off strong stabbed, Scrappy Boombursts, which honestly is pretty neat. Exploud doesn’t have the greatest defenses, so I would try to avoid using setup moves and go for the Specs set here. The set would besomething like this:

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Timid nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Surf / Hydro Pump

Basically you don’t need to worry about having coverage moves for Ghosts, so all of Exploud’s coverage moves should be geared toward hitting things that resist Boomburst (or Rock and Steel types)

For teammates, I would suggest Dual Screens Grimmsnarl here, as Grimmsnarl can help Exploud live a lot more attacks than normal. Also, Charizard might be good here as well; Charizard can switch into Fighting moves aimed at Exploud, and Charizard can also take on most Steel Pokémon well that would switch into potential Boombursts.

I hope this helps; feel free to ask more things if necessary!

I’ll try to help you here, but just know that Exploud isn’t the best Pokémon out there lol, and some things pretty much outclass it as well.

What Exploud can do, pretty much unlike anything else out there, is that it can fire off strong stabbed, Scrappy Boombursts, which honestly is pretty neat. Exploud doesn’t have the greatest defenses, so I would try to avoid using setup moves and go for the Specs set here. The set would besomething like this:

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Timid nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Surf / Hydro Pump

Basically you don’t need to worry about having coverage moves for Ghosts, so all of Exploud’s coverage moves should be geared toward hitting things that resist Boomburst (or Rock and Steel types)

For teammates, I would suggest Dual Screens Grimmsnarl here, as Grimmsnarl can help Exploud live a lot more attacks than normal. Also, Charizard might be good here as well; Charizard can switch into Fighting moves aimed at Exploud, and Charizard can also take on most Steel Pokémon well that would switch into potential Boombursts.

I hope this helps; feel free to ask more things if necessary!
Thanks ill consider the options! Is Toxtricity something that just outclassess Exploud?

What do you guys think of this rillaboom set? Im rough drafting teams right now but the idea is to partner with hawlucha so far. I might even just partner with cinderace and give it grassy seed. The idea is a fake out lead that pivots into the sweeper then comes back for revenge kills if theres anything left. Life orb is just a placeholder right now.

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

What do you guys think of this rillaboom set? Im rough drafting teams right now but the idea is to partner with hawlucha so far. I might even just partner with cinderace and give it grassy seed. The idea is a fake out lead that pivots into the sweeper then comes back for revenge kills if theres anything left. Life orb is just a placeholder right now.

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn
So maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't the opposing pokemon just recover his HP back from Fake Out because of Grassy Terrain?

So maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't the opposing pokemon just recover his HP back from Fake Out because of Grassy Terrain?
The target will still flinch though so worth it to stop things like First Impression from Durant. There are probably better examples but the best one I can think of right now.

I would rather have something like Superpower for added coverage over Fake Out myself; if Fake Out could be used anytime after the first turn it might make more sense to have Fake Out.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm so glad we're finally free to use our new toys on cart, here's some quick impressions on what I faced on cart today after reaching master ball (took a break around the top 2k range to give an idea, so this is not the very top of the ladder either lol)

-As expected, Cinderace and Rillaboom are freaking everywhere. You better be prepared for these two if you're gonna ladder!

-As expected, Porygon2 is our lord and savior. It's so god damn bulky, checks a ton of stuff, and if you Dynamax it, attacks bounce off like ping pong balls lmao

-Been noticing a drop in Mimikyu, which aligns with the early home usage (more on that later lol). The new Gmaxes and Urshifu are pretty annoying for it, though its not like Mimikyu is bad or anything, its still a big threat! The Kee Berry set in particular seems to be the dominant one, which makes sense.

-For some reason, I saw TWO Pincurshin teams today o_O. They're all based around Rising Voltage, which is admitly pretty freaking strong (it does over 50% to physically defensive Porygon2 as an example, and thats without an offensive item). One of them even Memento'd into Rotom-W, who actually still gets the boost from Riisng Voltage since that move checks to see if your foe is grounded! I sorta want to try to meme with it on a Trick Room team, but not sure yet.

-I've been LOVING WP Dragapulat at the moment. I saw too many teams seem to think that "oh Cinderace will solve my Dragapult issues", but you can totally EV Dynamax Dragapult to survive LO Max Darkness, which is perfect for a WP sweep often times!

-This goes without saying, but Cinderace (and the fighting spam in general) has massively impacted usage, with stuff like Snorlax realllly tanking in usage atm. Of course, this is early stuff.

-Speaking of usage stats, here's the showdown usage stats from June 20th to June 30th for the DLC, and I suggest checking home for usage stats too, they're WILD in this unstable world atm! https://www.smogon.com/stats/2020-06-DLC1/gen8battlestadiumsingles-1760.txt

-Oh and it goes without saying, this ladder opened up less than 3 days ago, so things aren't exactly stable at the moment rofl

-An example I saw on Home tonight: 25% OF BLISSEY RUN ASSAULT VEST?! I figured Blissey would be better than Chansey since it can make better use of Dynamaxing, but seeing Blissey this offensive is insane lmao

-Galarian Slowbro also is #26 in usage. I haven't seen it, and that really screams new toy syndrome to me, but I wouldn't mind seeing arguments otherwise!

-I just want to say: its hilarious to see Rotom-S having higher usage than Aegislash and Tyranitar atm on home. I mean, those two do not like the newcoming mons but... man imagine showing someone that last gen!

- I tried.. Stealth Rock Sash Cobalion lol. I tried it because I wanted an SRer that could use Twave. It seems sorta neat, but Close Combat also fails to 2HKO Porygon2 which is pathetic lmao. I'm gonna try out SD Bounce later too with Weakness Policy!

EDIT: If anyone is interested, this is what I used to get to master ball. I'm not submitting it to the bazzar because its very... rough draft-ish right now, its getting some heavy edits soon lol

https://pokepast.es/3d48827d8b6ce8ab

Last edited:
Counter is everywhere too. I'm wondering what is the best choice of ability for P2? I dunno I must be doing something wrong, it's not performing well for me. Using the bold/max def/hp, recover/foul play,discharge/ice beam and download. This is my first time using this mon though, I made it at the end of gen 7 then never got a chance to use it. Really loving that they allowed us to use transfer pokemon for this generation.

Hey I don't know if this is going to be my final team, but I will like to know you guys thoughts on this team.

https://pokepast.es/02672cc980638bb4
Ok, some thoughts:
For Dragapult, something to consider is EVing it to survive a Max Darkness from LO Cinderace. I believe that Dynamaxed Dragapult needs a minimum of 20 HP and 84 Defense EVs to survive a Jolly LO Max Darkness from Cinderace, so you could factor that into your set here. I would suggest two spreads here. The first is an EV spread of 252 Atk, 172 HP, and 84 Spe EVs with a Jolly nature here; this enables Dragapult to outspeed base 120 speed Pokémon and enables it to survive the Max Darkness from Jolly Cinderace. The second set has EVs of 220 Spe, 180 Atk, 84 Def, 20 HP, and 4 SpD with an Adamant nature. This set also outspeeds base 120 speed Pokémon while also having about the same physical bulk as the first set; the difference is that this second set has slightly more power than the first set at the cost of some special defensive bulk that the first set possesses more of.

That Togekiss definitely wants Super Luck with Scope Lens there lol; I’m not sure if that was a misclick or not there.

I would recommend using Magnet Pull on Magnezone over Analytic here; your team has a lot of physical attackers which could face trouble from Corviknight/Skarmory, so it could be good to trap them with Magnezone here.

I hope this helps! There may be more things that I haven’t thought of, so I may come back to this later.

Hey y'all, I'm new to here and competitive Pokemon in general! I hopped into BSS for this first time and managed to hit max ball in two days, feeling pretty chuffed with my self!

One thing that was a constant headache for me was Rillaboom, I brought ferrothorn onto my line up in an attempt to secure a better match up into him. In most cases I just hoped I had screens up and/or they were paralyzed so that Togekiss or Cinderace could pick up the knockout. Anyone found a good remedy into him or just general tips, because right now I live in fear :s

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Ferrothorn is a decent switch-in, so are things like Scizor / Volcarona etc. but trying to limit number of times you need to switch into Rillaboom is the most important thing. Ferrothorn can switch into any non-Superpower move, but they could just click U-turn and bring in Cinderace and you're in trouble now, lol. By extension of Cinderace existing, U-turn Rillaboom really has no safe switch-ins.

Togekiss, Cinderace, Dragapult, etc. are all great offensive checks. I do agree with your assessment about not being comfortable switching them in because they are still taking tons from Wood Hammer or they could get predicted and get hit with a Knock Off in case of Dragapult.

Ok, some thoughts:
For Dragapult, something to consider is EVing it to survive a Max Darkness from LO Cinderace. I believe that Dynamaxed Dragapult needs a minimum of 20 HP and 84 Defense EVs to survive a Jolly LO Max Darkness from Cinderace, so you could factor that into your set here. I would suggest two spreads here. The first is an EV spread of 252 Atk, 172 HP, and 84 Spe EVs with a Jolly nature here; this enables Dragapult to outspeed base 120 speed Pokémon and enables it to survive the Max Darkness from Jolly Cinderace. The second set has EVs of 220 Spe, 180 Atk, 84 Def, 20 HP, and 4 SpD with an Adamant nature. This set also outspeeds base 120 speed Pokémon while also having about the same physical bulk as the first set; the difference is that this second set has slightly more power than the first set at the cost of some special defensive bulk that the first set possesses more of.

That Togekiss definitely wants Super Luck with Scope Lens there lol; I’m not sure if that was a misclick or not there.

I would recommend using Magnet Pull on Magnezone over Analytic here; your team has a lot of physical attackers which could face trouble from Corviknight/Skarmory, so it could be good to trap them with Magnezone here.

I hope this helps! There may be more things that I haven’t thought of, so I may come back to this later.
Thank you these were just thoughts before I make my team. I will probably get a good idea one the 7th pass.

Anyone here think Hippo, Clef, and Corvi is a reliable defensive trio for a BSS team.
I don’t think it’s bad, but I don’t ‘love’ this trio. In particular, I think there are better options than Clefable right now. I think that this trio could struggle with some Water-typed Pokémon and some hard hitting specially offensive Pokémon, which isn’t the best thing for a defensive trio. There may be better options than what I can think of right now, but I think that Assault Vest Rillaboom could fit in well here alongside Corviknight and Hippowdon here; Rillaboom could tank some special hits while simultaneously dealing with the vast majority of Water Pokémon (watch out for Gyarados though). If you use Rillaboom, be sure to do these things: use High Horsepower instead of Earthquake on Hippowdon, have a good switch-in for Fire moves, and have something that can deal with Gyarados. For the last two things, Rotom-W could work here.

I hope this helped, and feel free to experiment with other things as well!

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Grassy Terrain halves Earthquake damage, but not High Horsepower damage.

In return, the 5 BP is pretty small. The miss chance is very unsavory though, so I wouldn't do this automatically on every team.

Can someone help me with my team?
https://pokepast.es/02b02efff93925df
This is just a rough concept, but I really want to use Runerigus because I think it's a super cool mon and could perhaps wall Cinderace. Any suggestions?
I admire trying to use Runerigus lol, it's one of my favorite designs. Anyways, here's a couple things on first pass:

- If you're running Runerigus to wall Cinderace I would suggest a more defensive set, and Weakness Policy is kind of wasted on it without Trick Room support. Things that come to mind are Will-o-Wisp, Rocky Helmet, Stealth Rock, even Iron Defense perhaps.

- I personally feel as though scarf Rillaboom is outclassed by bulky with Grassy Glide. It still is able to revenge kill a lot of weakened targets, it doesn't lock you into a move, it hits harder, and it can take hits better.

- If you're running AV on Rotom don't run Will-o-Wisp. It's literally useless unless you absorb a Knock Off or Trick or something. Dark Pulse maybe, or even Electroweb for speed control?

- As good as banded Urshifu is in OU, he's kind of a momentum killer in BSS. If you've used it and liked it then cool, but I would be cautious. If you do keep him, I would suggest Jolly over Adamant. The ability to outspeed Mimikyu, opposing Urshifu, and Excadrill is huge.

- I don't really get the max speed investment on Corviknight. It seems unnecessary to me. Lum Berry could probably be swapped for Rocky Helmet or leftovers too. Maybe even Shed Shell to escape Magnezone since you don't have U-Turn or Body Press.

Hope I could help!

marilli

With you
Speed investment on Corviknight is perfectly fine. This set isn't meant to wall things, but provide offensive pressure while neutering defensive responses with Taunt. Personal opinion is that with the Cinderace and the offensive DLC updates, the Iron Defense Body Press set is pretty low in viability as it gets bullied around by Cinderace way too much to be a reliable defensive wall - that's an opinion and you can have different opinion on it. I would not use G-max Corviknight because the Speed boost is much more valuable - that's a fact. If you take off Weakness Policy on that Runerigus, Corviknight can use it to flip the matchup vs Cinderace - one of the biggest deterrent to using Corviknight right now. Don't bother with Shed Shell - most Magnezone aren't even Magnet Pull.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)