Resource SS OU Viability Ranking Thread [Update: Post 102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Rises
  • :Aegislash: from A- to A: Aegislash's special and mixed attacking sets are strong offensive options in the metagame that provide respectable defensive utility as well. Aegislash is able to check Kyurem, Clefable, and Alakazam while dishing out large amounts of damage. Overall, it took a while for Aegislash to develop into a clear-cut threat, but now it is peaking and seeing consistent usage in the metagame.
  • :Rhyperior: from B+ to A-: Rhyperior is an amazing addition to the tier; it provides an Electric immunity and a great check to Fire types like Volcarona and Rotom-Heat. With a potent Choice Band set and a threatening Swords Dance set, Rhyperior is capable of dealing out great deals of damage. Rhyperior has been surging in usage and popularity recently and it shows no signs of slowing down to its offensive and defensive place in the tier.
  • :Mantine: from B to B+: Mantine is an alternative Defog option that can counter Volcarona, use Haze to check bulky sweepers, and provide a Water immunity for Pokemon like Urshifu-Rapid Strike.
  • :Primarina: from B- to B+: Primarina is a great win condition with the Substitute + Calm Mind set, easily sweeping unprepared teams. It is able to take advantage of many set-up opportunities and also soft-check Pokemon like Urshifu and Volcarona.
  • :Zarude: from UR to B: Zarude's Bulk Up + Jungle Healing set is a fast, naturally bulky win condition that has a chance to sweep with some support and is challenging to revenge kill from high levels of health.
  • :Cobalion: from UR to B-: Cobalion is an interesting option as a Stealth Rock setter that is capable of soft-checking a number of common options such as Kyurem, Crawdaunt, and Rillaboom all while countering Bisharp and resisting Wicked Blow. It has great speed and can generate momentum with Volt Switch, too.
  • :Slowking: from C- to C: Slowking is a pivot that works similarly to Slowbro with Regenerator, Teleport, and Future Sight, but provides more special bulk than physical bulk.
  • :Centiskorch: from UR to C-: Centiskorch is a Heavy Duty Boots abusing win condition with Coil. It has an awkward defensive profile, being able to check things like Clefable and some Kyurem, but it also has to worry about some stronger physical attackers. Overall, Centiskorch is a fringe option at best, but it remains viable in SS OU.
  • :Druddigon: from UR to C-: Druddigon can see usage as a Stealth Rock lead on specific hyper offensive builds with a respectable movepool and some helpful abilities.
  • :Indeedee: from UR to C-: Indeedee functions as a Psychic Terrain setter for teams wishing to abuse Expanding Force.
  • :Lycanroc-Dusk: from UR to C-: Lycanroc-Dusk is a strong physical attacker with a great speed stat, but it is very fragile.
Drops
  • :Toxapex: from S to A+: Toxapex has slowly, but surely, fell from grace. It is still a great Pokemon, but with a number of common Pokemon abusing it such as Kyurem, Reuniclus, Calm Mind + Thunderbolt Clefable, Alakazam, and Spikes users, it is easy to see why it is no longer considered one of the best Pokemon in the tier. Couple this with stiff competition from Amoonguss, who counters more common Pokemon, as a Regenerator Poison type in the tier, and you get Toxapex dropping slightly in the viability rankings.
  • :Alakazam: from A- to B+: Alakazam struggles in a metagame with more Aegislash, Corviknight, and Blissey than ever. It does not get many set-up opportunities without support and it fails to turn those opportunities into consistent kills as well, which is problematic for something so fragile.
  • :Pelipper: from B to B-: Rain teams have seen a drop in usage recently, thus hurting Pelipper's viability.
  • :Kingdra: from B to B-: Read Pelipper. Kingdra is a staple on these Rain teams and falls accordingly.
  • :Bisharp: from B- to C+: Bisharp is a viable option on hyper offensive teams, but Urshifu is far more common and also checks Bisharp, thus making it a struggle to integrate Bisharp onto teams.
  • :Grimmsnarl: from B- to C+: Grimmsnarl can provide screens support on hyper offensive teams, but this type of hyper offensive has been falling in usage over the last few months.
  • :Rotom-Wash: from C+ to C: There are very few, if any, sightings of Rotom-Wash in OU recently. It struggles to find a niche in a metagame filled with Grass and Dragon types, especially when it does not check much when compared to competitor Rotom-Heat.
  • :Barraskewda: from C+ to C-: Fringe option on dying-out Rain teams.
  • :Araquanid: from C to UR: Sticky Webs are never really seen anymore, unfortunately.
  • :Shuckle: from C to UR: Read Araquanid.
  • :Jellicent: from C- to UR: Besides checking Urshifu-Rapid, there is very little reason to ever use Jellicent, which has fallen off completely.

heatmoron

Banned deucer.
while I am pleased to see that Centiskorch has received some of the attention it deserves, I still don't think it deserves to be ranked this low. It's definitely no world breaker, but AV Centiskorch is in my opinion the greatest counter to the dangerous Volcarona, not to mention being able to take hits from specially offensive pult and any hydreigon set (including specs meteor). Access to Flash Fire, Leech Life, and its considerable special bulk make it an ideal candidate to counter volc, and I think it should be ranked in C or C+ because of its ability to check a considerable portion of the meta, (beats clefable, checks rotom-heat, pult, etc...)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
AV Centiskorch is in my opinion the greatest counter to the dangerous Volcarona, not to mention being able to take hits from specially offensive pult and any hydreigon set (including specs meteor).
It was really only ranked due to the Coil set, which has seen sporadic usage on the ladder and in tournament games such as this one.

Using Centiskorch without Heavy Duty Boots seems like it is not worthwhile and while it is true that it checks Volcarona, Stealth Rocks hinder its effectivness greatly and it absolutely does not serve as a long-term answer to many other Pokemon, especially due to it being incabaple of switching-in whenever SR is set. This coupled with it lacking breaking power makes it unviable without the HDB + Coil set we alluded to and deserving of the C- ranking.

It was really only ranked due to the Coil set, which has seen sporadic usage on the ladder and in tournament games such as this one.

Using Centiskorch without Heavy Duty Boots seems like it is not worthwhile and while it is true that it checks Volcarona, Stealth Rocks hinder its effectivness greatly and it absolutely does not serve as a long-term answer to many other Pokemon, especially due to it being incabaple of switching-in whenever SR is set. This coupled with it lacking breaking power makes it unviable without the HDB + Coil set we alluded to and deserving of the C- ranking.
As a Centiskorch user since Day 1, I agree with this assessment. The lack of physical bulk and physical Ground coverage, as well as low speed and power (Centiskorch has to invest mostly in bulk), really limit Centiskorch's usability. RestTalk (Rest over Coil) is cool and useful for stuff like stalling out PP, but Coil actually gives it the option to threaten some stuff and function as a better answer to certain physical threats.

Centiskorch can absolutely fit on certain teams but (unless Gamefreak switches the Defense and Special Attack COME ON) it's definitely only niche for now.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
RISES

1602106427636.png
B- --> B
Is there any other Pokemon in the tier that can fulfill the Spikes + SR HO lead better? It's the best Pokemon for the job, not to mention its versatility when it comes to other sets (albeit I haven't experimented much with them).

1602106454809.png
B+ --> A-
Tangrowth is seeing a lot of usage in OLT, mostly due to the rise of Excadrill + Tyranitar teams. I'd argue it's even better than Amoonguss due to its resistance to Earthquake, but that might be pushing it. When compared to other B+ rank Pokemon, Tangrowth is far more viable than the likes of Scizor and Slowbro.

1602106473475.png
B+ --> A-
Pretty disrespectful that the GOATCrab is down this low. Crawdaunt gives you an incredible matchup versus stall teams, and checks very important offensive threats like Volcarona. Absurdly strong priority, access to the strongest Knock Off, incredible ability to wallbreak, and potentially even sweep makes the GOATCrab at least A-.

DROPS

1602106508210.png
A --> A-
Only makes sense with the rise of Tangrowth. These Pokemon are very similar, and right now the metagame prefers the ability to better check Excadrill and Tyranitar, while not needing as good of a sponge for rain teams. Tangrowth and Amoonguss are equal viability imo.

1602106539644.png
B --> C+
Quagsire is really only found on stall teams, and even then it's a fringe pick. With Toxapex using Haze pretty much everywhere on defensive teams, it's hard to justify using Quagsire with its much worse bulk. Even if you're looking for a bulky water to absorb Electric-type attacks, just use Gastrodon. When I look at the Pokemon that currently reside in the B tier, Quagsire just seems out of place.

Related to my last post, I still think Urshifu should be S rank and Rillaboom should be A+ rank, but I'm glad to see Primarina move up.

:smogduck:

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
1602106508210.png
A --> A-
Only makes sense with the rise of Tangrowth. These Pokemon are very similar, and right now the metagame prefers the ability to better check Excadrill and Tyranitar, while not needing as good of a sponge for rain teams. Tangrowth and Amoonguss are equal viability imo.
I disagree; we actually were discussing the potential of moving Amoonguss up to A+ rank even.

Amoonguss has seen more usage than Toxapex recently and also does a great job of checking a few common things. First off, it is the best answer to non-Acrobatics Rillaboom, Urshifu-Rapid, and Zeraora the tier has to offer currently, which are both very common. Second off, the AV set, which is surging in usage, still checks these Pokemon while also soft-checking Aegislash, Dragapult, and most Calm Mind Clefable. Finally, the AV set is a great reaction to the uptick in Trick usage, being able to punish Trick users with the Assault Vest that permanently cripples them.

Amoonguss will always run into issues against opposing Grass types like Ferrothorn or trying to do much against specific bulky Pokemon like Blissey, Corviknight, and even the aforementioned Toxapex, but it does a great job countering some very common Pokemon, spreads status as well as anything in the tier, and serves as a great teambuilding utility. I do not believe it should fall now or anytime soon.

Tangrowth rising does prompt different team compositions, but that does not detract much from Amoonguss usage regardless, especially with the rise only being short-lived currently.

What is slowbro-g still doing on the VR?

As a defensive pivot is worse than amoogus and toxapex, and its fellow slowtwins. Offensively it has quickclaw + quick draw cheese strategies but thats hardly consistent. I've used the bro on tr but i doubt thats a good strategy either.

Maybe the bro has a niche i cant figure out but to me it just seems like a poor option

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Here's a possibly controversial one:

A+ → A
Zeraora's main purpose is as a speedy revenge killer and pivot and Dragapult is a direct competitor in this regard. Looking at the usage stats in Snake, Dragapult has been used a whopping 102 times (51%) in five weeks, while Zeraora has only been used 37 times (18.5%). I think there are good reasons for this discrepancy in usage. Amoonguss and Tangrowth are as common as ever and force Zeraora to use Volt Switch to make progress. Additionally, the surge of Ground-types like Rhyperior and Gastrodon make Zeraora's life harder too. The fact that the vast majority of Clefable are physically defensive (due to Urshifu) is another point against Zeraora and in favor of Dragapult. Even against offensive teams Zeraora is not as good as it once was since it struggles against offense staple Rillaboom. Finally, the rise of Magnezone has provided Zeraora with more competition as an Electric-type that pressures Corviknight, Skarmory, and Mandibuzz. Naturally, it still has a lot of admirable qualities that set it apart and make it a great Pokemon, such as its top Speed stat, Electric immunity, and Knock Off, but I don't think it's quite at the level of the other A+ ranks any longer, especially its direct competitor Dragapult, which befits the current metagame more and is more moldable to the needs of your team.

Frankly, I believe Dragapult is quite clearly the #2 Pokemon in the metagame right now, but I won't nominate it for S since the gap between it and Clefable is far too big. Perhaps the creation of an S- rank could be considered?

:togekiss: B+ ----> A-

In my opinion, Togekiss being ranked at B+ is a sin. This Pokemon has immense utility or sweeping potential depending on what set is being ran. With some physical defense, it is a fantastical counter to Ursihu-S quad-resiting close combat and resisting wicked blow. Not to mentions its flying type serves as a great switch-in to Rillaboom and scares it out with air slash/flamethrower. If pivoted in properly, it can also scare out Amoonguss and Tangrowth. On this defensive set it has to run HDB, but it has roost so Togekiss can stay healthy. Its scarf set, in my opinion, is not the best, but is good on some teams. On HO, it is able to weaken things with fast air slash flinches, opening up room for HOs many sweepers. It can also be ran as a strong revenge killer on bulky offense or balance teams. It also has access to nasty plot, allowing it to set up and potential sweep weakened teams. Although Clefable might out class it as a fairy, Togekiss can serve an important role on many teams. I have enjoyed using running its physdef set and spdef wish-port Clef on the same team because when paired with ground type like Hippo, they can create a strong defensive core with wish for longevity.

Offensively it has quickclaw + quick draw cheese strategies but thats hardly consistent.
Spoken like a lad who hasn't gotten outplayed by a Belly Drum Skillbro that rolled the dice, outsped your +6/+6 Dragapult, and OHKOed it.

Anyway, back to some more VR stuff, I have a few noms to make:

:Dragapult: from A+ to S

No matter how the Sword and Shield OU meta evolves, there will always be two constants: Clefable will be extremely good, and Dragapult will find some way to adapt and remain incredibly consistent in the face of an inconsistent meta. Pult is a country mile better than everything except itself and Clefable but Clefable is a country mile better than anything else in this tier. I really do think it deserves a rise to S, though: its usage both in tournament play and on the ladder attest to just how incredibly consistent it is across all levels of play. With Zeraora's best defensive answers trending more than ever nowadays, the one thing that can actually threaten to revenge kill Pult isn't really as much of an issue nowadays.

Whether it's with its flagship Specs set, the DD set that every other HO team runs, or its newer but truly incredible pivot set with Boots, Hex, and either Will-o-Wisp or Thunder Wave, Dragapult will almost always be a threatening presence from team preview onwards. It should most certainly rise; it is clearly a top-tier threat in every way, shape, and form and is a much better mon than everything else, except Clefable. The metagame may have shifted, but Dragapult continues to shift in response, and it'll most certainly continue to do so in the Crown Tundra DLC to boot.

:Crawdaunt: from B+ to A-

Crawdaunt may not appreciate the Amoonguss/Tangrowth spam nowadays, but it certainly isn't a sitting duck against either of them simply because of how hard Knock Off hits the first time, and how hard Crunch (which IMO is definitely the better option currently; CC doesn't hit anything that Crawdaunt's STABs don't already clown on) hits thereafter. Swords Dance Crawdaunt is insanely threatening after a boost and hits for a tremendous amount of damage, while the immediate power of Choice Band ensures that Crawdaunt has virtually zero safe switchins in OU, barring maybe bulkier Primarina variants, and it continues to provide Offensive teams with a very reliable, very consistent anti-Volcarona countermeasure. The lobster is awesome in this meta despite the anti-Zeraora countermeasures that it doesn't really appreciate and should rise a bit as a result.

:Rhyperior: from A- to A

I know Rhyperior just rose and that this might be a stretch, but Rhyperior is downright phenomenal in this meta and IMO should probably rise even further. I have plenty of experience with the Choice Band set, which has all the tools it needs to devastate anything in the unfortunate predicament of having 178 Speed or less. When Amoonguss started trending a ton, Rhyperior didn't give much of a damn because it just clicks Heat Crash for an easy kill. When Tangrowth started trending, some players started running Megahorn to easily 2HKO it or at least force it into Stone Edge range after a Regenerator heal. When Specially Defensive Tyranitar with Thunder Wave continued its trend of being a legitimately good Rocker, Rhyperior didn't particularly care because TTar is just another target for Rhyperior to either cleanly OHKO with Earthquake or turn into an opportunity to start playing around the switch it would inevitably force.

:Slowbro-Galar: from C to C+

I don't think it's anything more than a gimmick, but Screens+Belly Drum G-Bro (or, as I prefer to call it, Skillbro) is a thing that exists, and 44% of the time G-Bro is able to effectively just turn on its Action Replay, blatantly cheat by ignoring its Speed stat, and claim an undeserved kill. I think this set is the only unique thing that G-Bro has to offer at this point (Pex and Amoonguss give it some HEFTY competition as a defensive Poison type with Regenerator), and Grimmsnarl - the thing that enables this absurdly degenerate set - is in C+ as well, so I think G-Bro should at the very least share the same subrank as Grimmsnarl.

:Rillaboom: from A to A+

I will die on this hill. Rillaboom is Offense's Clefable: it offers so much for Hyper Offense teams that you'd have to be out of your mind to NOT run it. I don't think it's necessarily an S-rank threat anymore, but A+ absolutely reflects how essential it is for its currently-great archetypes (even if HO is a bit inconsistent and as such sees only limited tournament play) as well as how much it actually threatens the current metagame should it opt to run the correct coverage options. Tangrowth and Amoonguss are trending, and while they threaten most Rillaboom variants the Grassy Seed+Acrobatics sets tear past them instead. Rillaboom really doesn't mind these trends too much; it has the tools to adapt, and it continues to do so.

Will there be one last slate before DLC drops considering we are all giving nominations now? Anyway I'm seconding a lot of these and giving a few nominations of my own.

1602180563733.png
A+--> S-: Absolutely. This mon has been dominants no matter what stage the meta is in and always has the ability to adapt to whatever trend occurs, such as it going from a specs set to a hex+ wisp set or it incorporating dragon darts for volcarona and blissey. Its such a versatile Pokémon and while it may not be on clefs level, it should have its own S- rank.
1602180690108.png
B+ --> B or B-: Ditto is only really a gimmick on stall teams which surged in OLT. Now that it is over and we are back to our balance metagame ditto is less splashable and less useful. Its certainly viable but i don't consider it on the same level of other B+ mons like mantine, gengar, tangworth, togekiss, and crawdaunt.
1602180800519.png
B-->C+: Quagsire similarly only fits on stall teams and competes with things like toxapex and gastordon which are far better than it on balance. Rillaboom dominance ruins this thing and the return of grasses like tangrowth and amoongus means that quags passivity isnt too desired anymore. It should go to the C ranks as it is on the same level as many things there.
1602180889490.png
B- --->C+: This mon has severe competition from many offensive waters like crawdaunt, primarina, and urshifu rapid, who are all much desired over keldeo. Furthermore, rillaboom, amoongus, and zeroara dominance means that keldeo is a suboptimal pick in the current meta. It should fall to C+ to reflect its viability in the metagame at the moment.
1602181081618.png
C---> B-: Pretty large jump, but quick draw and quick claw hax are legitimate and can sweep an unprepared team. It should definitely not belong with other things like wash tom and cloyster in C.
1602181141176.png
A---> A+: While the return of bulky grasses and metal birds gives rilla trouble, it has cemented itself as one of the best offensive mons in the tier. It absolutely is metagame prominent and should be up there with other top mons in the metagame as well.

Just gonna post my opinion about Aegislash:

:aegislash: A --> A+

I think A is a understatement for Aegislash, Aegislash should go to A+ due to it's ability, Stance Change. I feel it is too underrated, only 1% of usage in the WCoP and it has an average of 60% winrate. I feel a bit pissed off by the fact that it's only 1% usage there. Everyone knows Aegislash turns into it's Blade Forme when about to attack, and Shield Forme when it uses a move that doesn't attack the user, 2 of these Formes, has the ability to change a whole game, and I don't think alot know that, in Shield Forme, you could say he turns into a steel-type Toxapex, and in Blade Forme, he does alot of damage, which is completely why he was Ubers in Gen 7 and 6. Fortunately, he got nerfed. It is reasonable but I think it is still a major threat. When paired with mons that could easily destroy it's threats like Scarf Hydreigon which outspeeds Dragapult, it destroys the opposing team. If this mon is paired with some hazard support, It puts lot, and by a lot, I mean so many, mons in a OHKO or 2HKO range. Some of you maybe like, you should get rid of Toxapex too! Well guess what? It depends. If you are Specs Aegislash, you put it in the range of a 2HKO Guaranteed, according to this calc: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 168-198 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. This mon completely checks walls that have alot of Defense invested, and less in SpD, if it is Special Aegislash, and for Physical Aegislash, the opposite. Aegislash is a great mon to use on your teams that are walled by Pokemon like Toxapex, and Corviknight because it easily puts them into a 2HKO range, again if it is a Special Aegislash and if the team is walled by Pokemon with alot of SpD invested, then it's recommended to use Physical Aegislash. The whole point is: Aegislash has the ability to switch into a Defensive form and a Attack form in Battle, which makes it awesome and fun to use, and also a great threat at times. I had been spamming Specs Aegislash for a few times in Ladder, and I am completely honest here, it does pretty great. There were alot of Toxapexes, that tried to wall it, but little did they know, it completely took over and made it very rough for them. Not alot of pokemon can switch into Aegislash's attacks. However, this mon has alot of weaknesses, and I think it's biggest one is Urshifu, Urshifu completely takes care of this with Wicked Blow. Other than that, this mon provides a great support, because it can destroy alot of mons that can wall pokemon like Urshifu who can sweep just using Wicked Blow as long as there is no Fairy-type there to wall the move. I think this mon deserves way more than atleast 3% of usage in tournaments like WCoP. That concludes it! More of my opinions on this Viability Ranking soon! Maybe after DLC2?

Last edited:
gotta say this update was pretty damn good

→ A+
→ S

agree with amoonguss rising. spore is just damn good and people underestimate how nice the poison typing and special bulk is. but the main reason I use this over tang on a lot of teams is it's not clef bait. agree with above pult posts too: I think pult is one of the catch all be all mons. the utility and resistances this mon brings can never not benefit your team. even sets like DD LO still glue up the majority of your team's weaknesses when you're building hyper offense for example.

→ A+

personally think kyurem could rise to a+. specs kyurem has always been a dishonest pick, you can just freeze your way past its soft counters and stuff like spdef ttar and blissey just gets blown away/pressured by focus blast. the dd set is probably even more annoying and dishonest. just clicks substitute dragon dance with ease in this meta full of passive picks and either nets multiple kills/a lot of damage or pp stalls your team to the point where a teammate can have a field day. either roost or earth power in the last slot, either way both options are excellent.

→ B

jirachi should rise. this is another dishonest pick. just clicks cosmic power a million times till it stored power sweeps you. moonblast will destroy any attempt to beat it with urshifu, crawdaunt, or hydreigon. other counterplay like excadrill, wisphex pult, or aegislash will just activate weakness policy then it can freely kill you or go for wish on a sack. obviously not an invincible sweeper like it sounds like I'm makin it to be, stuff like spdef corv, rhyperior, combo of hazepex+switch, mantine, thunder wave hax, trick, or phazing can stop it but I think it's worth a rise. it can still use sets like calm mind thunder which are not bad.

→ A-

this may be controversial but drop ferrothorn? sure it's a hard stop to annoying mons like amoonguss and primarina but I feel like ferrothorn is much more threatening towards bulkier teams and even then not so much. clef literally sits in front of it. pex can scald burn + knock and the opponent will just force defogs with corv the minute you go for extra layers. spikes are great but there are way too many boots users. once it's knocked off, I almost find it deadweight outside of suiciding for spikes layers because almost every team has something like rilla, amoonguss, or tang to prevent leech recovery. but I think the main problem with ferrothorn is pretty much every premiere offensive threat in ou breaks through ferrothorn smh. with the limited amount of breakers we have in the tier, ferrothorn checks close to none of em.... yes spikes are valuable, but I don't think this mon will be close to good as the rest of A rank until we get a greater pool of threats coming dlc2 ferrothorn can be useful versus.

Last edited:
:Lycanroc-Dusk: → B-/C+

Lycanroc-dusk is a severely underrated threat in this metagame. It is a great lead rocker with a sash and endeavor/priority to pretty much go one for one against many teams, and it also provides an amazing counter to volcarona, no matter how many quiver dances, and makes a great blissey partner, if the volcarona has safeguard, blissey can teleport out and force a switch. Another great set from lycanroc is sword dance life orb, which along with its great coverage and tough claws boost. After a sd, psychic fangs will ohko common physical walls such as toxapex, amoongus, and kommo. It also has close combat which will ohko strong physical mons such as ferrothorn, rhyperior, and urshifu-s (which you will live a banded sucker punch from full hp). While lycanroc may not be the fastest mon in the metagame, at +2, after only a small bit of chip, its able to kill threats such as dragapult and zera, and even ohkos frailer mons such as alakazam.

Lycanroc does have a few flaws tho, as without crunch it cant touch slowbro or aegislash, and it isnt able to ohko fat mons that arent weak to its moves like clefable, hippodown, tangrowth, or skarmory.

Strong priority users do well too, such as rillaboom, banded urshifu (if you arent on 100% health), and scizor do very well vs it too

Overall, lycanroc-dusk is a great late game cleaner once its checks are chipped or removed and should be moved up

:Rillaboom:
:Magnezone:
A to A+
Offense is at its peak right now. Rillaboom has seen massive usage and supports its team incredibly with great speed control, passive recovery, and by being a fantastic wallbreaker.
Magnezone should also rise with its fantastic STAB combo letting it abuse top threats like Clef and Corv. It also is #1 partner to Rilla and has several great sets. Super great rn as well
Edit: I also now have replays!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1206289300
In this game, Rilla and Mag don't even need to attack! Simply the threat of a Glide or Tbolt lets them pivot for momentum! Also it displays how ridiculous Urshifu really is. Once Clef is removed, it cleans house.
Team:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic
- Fiery Dance

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Iron Head

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Teleport

Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt

I'll add more replays if I find them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)