Metagame SCL II UU Discussion

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Week 3 is up!

[SHO] Poek vs LNumbers [BRE]
- hasn't been very impressive but he'll be trying at least
[GIB] bb skarm vs Highways [FOX]
- better builder and more consistent battling
[DYN] KSt3ve vs Lyss [TER]
- above
[TMS] pokemonisfun vs TDK [PLA]
- TDK has had to face lackluster teams so far and I think if he tries to pull something like Golurk it will fall flat against the active community member pif. That being said, if pif doesn't pull matchup like last week I don't see him winning.

[SHO] Poek vs LNumbers [BRE]
[GIB] bb skarm vs Highways [FOX]
[DYN] KSt3ve vs Lyss [TER]
[ISL] pdt vs Lily [SPA]
[TMS] pokemonisfun vs TDK [PLA]

Lyssa

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
1/4 last week, 3/8 total (doing amazingly)

[SHO] Poek vs LNumbers [BRE] - have no clue honestly. Clark got mu'd hard 2/2 weeks, i think he could've maybe ran away with a win because St3ve rushed the game a fair bit but realistically his odds of winning were really low. He did stall in a super unfriendly stall meta though, and against someone who uses mons that own that playstyle even harder, so there is also that. Poek was just having fun with mono CBs after week was over so we pmuch don't know what the shogun's uu are up to. Clark has a good shot, especially if he is able to solve the teambuilding problems he has been having, but my gut is telling me to bold Poek.

[GIB] bb skarm vs Highways [FOX] - Highways has been playing well, even last week against Lily there was so little he could've done better, that reuniclus was pretty much always winning and that's what it's supposed to be doing. Contrary to week 1 though i didn't love his team (although even something else wouldn't have saved him from the reuni bar some dark types in there), but i'm 100% sure they can bounce back and produce some more week 1 style of heat. My game against Skarm last week felt a bit weird, unsure if it was nerves or he's uncomfortable playing against HO but he tossed the tools he needed to secure the game after that insane t1. Bolding Highways cause his play has been a lot more solid but hoping for a cool game with cool teams.

[ISL] pdt vs Lily [SPA] - this is a weird one. in normal circumstances i'd bold pdt against everyone but Lily just feels like someone who'd do well vs him and has also been fairly motivated despite her team not doing well. Expecting an insanely chaotic game knowing that both players are not afraid to take risks, and they have been playing well so far so i hope this matchup will deliver.

[TMS] pokemonisfun vs TDK [PLA] - heat mu between two 2-0 players. I liked pif's team from last week and was surprised the game ended up being that close considering the MU reuniclus got there. He has been definitely doing well, especially in the builder since he got two decent mu leads imo, but I think he can step up his game a bit more. Carson had a tapu bulu last week which should be enough for me to bold against him, but unfortunately pif also believes in tapu bulu so that point nullifies. Jokes aside he's unpredictable in the builder and i consider him to be better than pif as long as he doesn't cc into skarmory, so i'm gonna bold him here.

Last edited:

umbry

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
[SHO] Poek vs LNumbers [BRE] | idk haven't liked teamchoices from either of them

[GIB] bb skarm vs Highways [FOX] | wanna trust freitas to finally get a win here but could go either way

[DYN] KSt3ve vs Lyss [TER] | cool game, steves good but reis been better imo

[ISL] pdt vs Lily [SPA] | passion said lily will win and I trust passion with my life also this is a pretty cool highlight

[TMS] pokemonisfun vs TDK [PLA] | both have been impressive, close one

Looking forward to the games!

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
wow 7/8 so far go me

[SHO] Poek vs LNumbers [BRE] - both brought kinda ass teams both weeks but to poek's credit one of those was him dicking around with mono cb so that's w/e. assuming they both bring poop again i think poek is just the better player of the two

[GIB] bb skarm vs Highways [FOX] - both players didn't rly play poorly last week at all tbh but the matchup was just god awful for them, i think highways is more likely to bring something that gets the right call but being down 0-2's def a killer to the motivation sometimes. def a lot closer than it would've been if this was a week 1 matchup but i still favour highways

[DYN] KSt3ve vs Lyss [TER] - 2-0, farming, has looked solid in both wins where kst3ve has left cause for concern in both games - he did pick up a nice win against clark yday but it was a very rushed game on his end and shouldn't have ever gotten to the point it did idt. lyss has just brought better teams and has looked better in play even if she's still a lil rough around the edges

[ISL] pdt vs Lily [SPA] - pdt is making me play in the morning so

[TMS] pokemonisfun vs TDK [PLA] - just rate tdk higher than everyone else in the pool, but i've def been a believer in pif and he has looked really good. unless he crashes and burns this is prob the only time i will not bold him but ya tdk is very good at pokemon every1 knows that

sorry for low effort i am tired
go team

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
My week 3 game vs TDK https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-650655

I will try to go over this live on twitch sometime on Tuesday

Lead and Match Up

1664073241080.png

I get basically the exact match up I was hoping for although I took a bit too many precautions which made my match up merely "OK", not necessarily good. The idea is that I have a breaker that can make progress all by itself in conjunction with Wish support so it lives forever vs fat. So Mamoswine vs no Ice resist should be good theoretically + he reveals non Levitate Weezing and specially defensive Skarmory later, but my issue is that Mamoswine can't come in easily against anything. However, SD Cobalion is also very good after Quagsire somehow dies.

Anyways, considering the length of this game, this won't be formatted as nicely but I will try to put as much content as possible on a turn by turn

t1 - I'm anticipating my opponent to lead with Tangrowth to try and make progress with Knock off quickly, Chansey doesn't really mind losing it's item vs stall (although Power Whip and body press hurt a lot more), so I am planning to use Chansey to scout it's set and paralyze Tangrowth to help my odds later.

t2 - rocks help progress obviously

t3 - I will SD here to permanently scare Mantine but my lack of Stone Edge means I will just try to bluff it

t5 - Chansey better than Tang on Quagsire bc I can't heal Toxic on Tangrowth

t6 - probably could have statused him, my idea was I didn't wanna get corrosive gassed but I am planning to let Chansey get knocked by Tangrowth anyways, staying in might be better, but Toxic damage does hurt because Natural cure won't work vs Ngas weezing, I am pretty happy to see it still though because it makes Mamo extremely good

t8 - i could have scouted for toxic but assumed it was Haze mantine since that's common on stall, not sure he really needed haze with quag though so maybe could have scouted

t11 - i actually did want slowking burned so i could avoid being toxiced

t14 - the way to make progress? knock stuff off to make mamo's life easier later, getting rid of skarm's lefties is obviously huge for mamo

t16 - pretty lucky toxic miss here for me although he gets me later anyways as i can't really tolerate spikes

t17 - this is called a pivot btw, when you try to bait your opponent to use a move to get a mon in safely by switching twice in a row - switching to cobalion can't beat skarm but it baits bpress which slowking switches in safely in, i still end up getting toxiced so whatever, i do learn he is spdef skarm at the end of this though

t25 - which is what motivates me to flame, he probably thinks he can take a flame and heal later, which he can, so i just flame right away to put him in 2hko range and force him out. if i defog first, he could just spam roost and let poison slowly kill me - move order matters.

t30 - scouting to see if chansey is faster than tang to activate natural cure before gweezing comes in

t34 - same thing but scouting his chansey now - i end up thinking he is faster but later on he reveals its a tie

turns until t42 - the cycle here is actually benefitting me - all that's happening is me slowly bleeding out his defogs, he has to switch up strategy which he does now by staying in with slowking with mantine. not to reveal sets, but slowking can't touch mantine.

turns trying to burn skarmory until t53 - this was important for mamo to sweep later

t60 - later on, i would try to icicle crash/knock here since the recover is beyond obvious, almost no risk to go for flinch/item removal, but i didn't feel the need to go for it yet, protect is a bit of a surprise

t62 - i let quag heal but get rid of the status on my chansey finally

t67 - sludge bomb gweezing doesnt kill tang anyways although its a bit risky considering he has ngas, worked out tho

t70 - i'm sure the wish was unpleasant for him to see, it gets rid of all the progress he made on cobalion, but he probably expected it considering how i was playing

t73 - i anticipated mant but this works kekkity

turns until t79 - i was trying to get a burn on skarm again although didn't get it now, defogging eventually became more important

t93 - losing rocky helmet aint great, i didn't really know what his moves were, never guessed it was sd tang until the end, i'd try to respect his tang more but i have little else to take the knock anyways

t94 rlly didn't see double knock coming but it makes sense as it was risk free, he had quag in the back anyways

t100 - bit surprised he let me knock his mantine, i was trying to catch skarm to pressure it here i think, that said, he probably though i was already pressuring him and he had to make concessions OR he could keep SR off permanently anyways

t103 - actually quite critical - do i let tang get toxiced in exchange for getting rid of chansey's eviolite (and mamo gets even stronger?) - i choose not to since toxic is obvious and cobalion gets a tad more guaranteed progress here. yes a knocked chansey is great but tang put in a lot of work too

t106 - he didn't have to give up the helmet on tang, unsure why he did

t112 - his skarm is para and I have rocks, finally tryna make progress with mamo - maybe he should have stayed in with chansey here but getting rid of protect quag's leftovers is good for me, i can 2hko it later with eq

t118 - pretty interesting that he evaluates my SR is more annoying than his 2 spikes, it doesn't put anything in range afaik, quagsire is still 2hko by eq even with rocks off, but i suppose it makes his play easier. in general, stall would prefer to play with no hazards than mutual hazards because switching to counters is more important for stall

t128 lucky scald burn although he didn't have to go tang, i assume he wanted progress with it, but my cobalion does counter his set and he already took my spiny headgear off

t132 and 133 - i get some progress off mantine, not sure why he let me, maybe he was trying to toxic me in which case i agree with his play although i got lucky, i did say i thought he was haze before though and he never toxics the whole game

t134 - tried to get leech seed recovery

t142 - the sequences with SR now are more effective since he might be full para on a defog turn

t158 - efficient aromas are hot but mamo can predict to get a kill finally and i do so, however, mamo is too weak now and needs wish support, probably will get toxiced later

t168 - which i accepted on this turn although i dodge the toxic entirely - i decide to slow play it and attack later, not wanting to trade eviolite for toxic

t178 - i just want a bit of damage on quag to put it in 2hko range of icicle crash

t184 - i could be more ambitious here, i doubt quag stays in after i try to giga its ass

t194 - not much to say here but to be clear - after skarmory dies and still at this point, I have an overwhelming advantage. I would expect to win this position basically all the time against anyone so it's extremely disappointing it went wrong for me

t196 - probably could have softboiled in case i miss twave, harder to heal chansey, but still not that hard

t200 - the big error is here - now cobalion cannot be healed on chansey anymore and it's a bit too difficult for me to keep chansey low. i had to keep cobalion above 100 hp in order to have a safe advantage. at the end of this turn, i think most, but not all, of my advantage has slipped. it might have been better to go chansey, even on turn 200, which is a sad concession but still maintains a big advantage. or tang on turn 200.

t204 - should giga to keep mantine low, poor play by me

t209 - tough 50 50, but tougher for tdk - he gets it right

t210 - another tough turn for him, he gets it right and now slowking is hard to heal, but still over 100 hp

t211 - another tough turn for him which he gets right again

t212 - another very good turn by tdk which lets him heal chansey, i heal something too but it's not as important as i cant heal cobalion. i decide to launch a mamo attack instead

t214 - an echo of turn 200 - damage on chansey that i can't really preserve in exchange for one of my win cons being critically injured, by toxic now, knock off superior here

t215 - yet another good turn by tdk although it was pretty safe since icicle crash wont ko, at this point, i don't think i have an advantage anymore, i think tdk has a small advantage

t219 - a tough 50 50 for me now - i want to heal cobalion but am too worried to die to stoss and decide to get a mamo attack

t220 - finally get some turns right starting here

t222 - no clue why quagsire was sacked here, however, it makes more sense when i realize his tang didnt have sludge bomb, maybe this should have tipped me off, my tang is actually a big threat for him, i think i reclaim a big advantage here again

t226 - i believe tang is so good i heal it over mamo (again, too scared to heal cobalion) - but he starts outplaying me again

t234 - smartly prevents a mamo attack

t249 - i get another mamo attack and he correctly predicts around it

t253 - he starts outplaying my tangrowth again

t259 - yet another chance to knock his chansey but he still fucking outplays me, it's so infuriating, at this point, may as well just flip coins instead of making my own choices, nobody can predict a fair coin

turns until 264 - finally i start outplaying again and keep weezing low + get my own rocks up

t275 - should i crash again? maybe. but chansey could come in and then mantine could come in and my mamo could no longer heal on anything + it's toxiced, so i basically only get one more shot with him AND i don't get a singleko with it. not what I wanted to have, thought I had an advantage still so I could play it safer.

t276 - i rlly should use a coin at this point

t277 - salamence is idiotic, i forgot i lost hdb

t305 - i think i was quite a lot worse up until this point, but letting me para mantine gives me some hope to both kill it with para hax but also like, it's just much less reliable, i dont think he had to let it get para. he had many chances to go tang and heal with regen

t310 - he lives life on the edge for whatever reason, i get the one full para i needed and my posiiton seems okay again, although not amazing. i want chansey to die on something as i wish, then cobalion gets healed by forcing something out.

turns until mamo dies on t318 - very depressing, i get basically the bare minimum from this interaction, knocking chansey off, at least this puts it in cobalion range if it's slightly hurt, which means i can try the wish tactic on turn 310

t319 - not a bluff, just a panic by me as i make the move with probably 1 or 2 seconds on the timer

t320- defog to die and set up the tactic i talked about

t323 - this isnt making progress, chansey maybe better

t327 - try for the tactic and don't get it

t344 - chansey a bit obvious - what i could try here instead is go cobalion. he actually has one problem in addition to the cobalion sweep, my tang might sweep him if chansey dies as well, although i would need to play perfectly against synthesis and my remaining sludge bombs or get a lot of para hax.

t354 - idk if iron head or sd (or even cc) is better here, i may try to calculate it a bit more in depth later, regardless, i don't get enough and i lose

Overall...

It was a very difficult game made more painful because I knew I was much better at more than one point, I was extremely happy both right after Skarmory and right after Quagsire died. Definitely the critical error in my view was on turn 200 after Cobalion went into Stoss range without sufficient concessions from TDK. But besides that, all the credit in the world to him for playing extremely soundly against my Tangrowth in particular, winning I'd say at least 80 or 90% of the 50-50s my play induced. Also credit to him for keeping Chansey's Eviolite until the very end of the game, which was related to him outplaying Tangrowth.

This game also unfortunately lost my team the week. Part of the disappoint is numbed because were already 0-5, although that's not a particularly good reason, but to be honest, it doesn't numb it that much. I've seen 0-5 turn to 5-5 before and that's no longer possible because I played worse this game.

Despite that, I did have a very difficult start to this tournament, not necessarily because I played the top 3 seeds in the first 3 weeks (although that's part of it), but because I always had difficulties with TDK, Poek and PDT anyways - before this tournament, I lost to them respectively in uu classic, uu champs, and uupl. So while I probably would have been happy before the tournament started to go 2/3 in the group, I am pretty disappointed now after a loss.

Next week I'll have to pick up my efforts again, I do think these posts help me compartmentalize and forget about the loss until my next game, which will be brand new of course. Thanks for the support to my friends.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
My week 3 game vs TDK https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-650655

Lead and Match Up

View attachment 454939

I get basically the exact match up I was hoping for although I took a bit too many precautions which made my match up merely "OK", not necessarily good. The idea is that I have a breaker that can make progress all by itself in conjunction with Wish support so it lives forever vs fat. So Mamoswine vs no Ice resist should be good theoretically + he reveals non Levitate Weezing and specially defensive Skarmory later, but my issue is that Mamoswine can't come in easily against anything. However, SD Cobalion is also very good after Quagsire somehow dies.

Anyways, considering the length of this game, this won't be formatted as nicely but I will try to put as much content as possible on a turn by turn

t1 - I'm anticipating my opponent to lead with Tangrowth to try and make progress with Knock off quickly, Chansey doesn't really mind losing it's item vs stall (although Power Whip and body press hurt a lot more), so I am planning to use Chansey to scout it's set and paralyze Tangrowth to help my odds later.

t3 - I will SD here to permanently scare Mantine but my lack of Stone Edge means I will just try to bluff it

t6 - probably could have statused him, my idea was I didn't wanna get corrosive gassed but I am planning to let Chansey get knocked by Tangrowth anyways, staying in might be better, but Toxic damage does hurt because Natural cure won't work vs Ngas weezing, I am pretty happy to see it still though because it makes Mamo extremely good

t8 - i could have scouted for toxic but assumed it was Haze mantine since that's common on stall, not sure he really needed haze with quag though so maybe could have scouted

t14 - the way to make progress? knock stuff off to make mamo's life easier later, getting rid of skarm's lefties is obviously huge for mamo

t16 - pretty lucky toxic miss here for me although he gets me later anyways as i can't really tolerate spikes

t17 - this is called a pivot btw, when you try to bait your opponent to use a move to get a mon in safely by switching twice in a row - switching to cobalion can't beat skarm but it baits bpress which slowking switches in safely in, i still end up getting toxiced so whatever, i do learn he is spdef skarm at the end of this though

t25 - which is what motivates me to flame, he probably thinks he can take a flame and heal later, which he can, so i just flame right away to put him in 2hko range and force him out. if i defog first, he could just spam roost and let poison slowly kill me - move order matters.

t30 - scouting to see if chansey is faster than tang to activate natural cure before gweezing comes in

t34 - same thing but scouting his chansey now - i end up thinking he is faster but later on he reveals its a tie

turns until t42 - the cycle here is actually benefitting me - all that's happening is me slowly bleeding out his defogs, he has to switch up strategy which he does now by staying in with slowking with mantine. not to reveal sets, but slowking can't touch mantine.

turns trying to burn skarmory until t53 - this was important for mamo to sweep later

t60 - later on, i would try to icicle crash/knock here since the recover is beyond obvious, almost no risk to go for flinch/item removal, but i didn't feel the need to go for it yet, protect is a bit of a surprise

t67 - sludge bomb gweezing doesnt kill tang anyways although its a bit risky considering he has ngas, worked out tho

t70 - i'm sure the wish was unpleasant for him to see, it gets rid of all the progress he made on cobalion, but he probably expected it considering how i was playing

turns until t79 - i was trying to get a burn on skarm again although didn't get it now, defogging eventually became more important

t93 - losing rocky helmet aint great, i didn't really know what his moves were, never guessed it was sd tang until the end, i'd try to respect his tang more but i have little else to take the knock anyways

t94 rlly didn't see double knock coming but it makes sense as it was risk free, he had quag in the back anyways

t100 - bit surprised he let me knock his mantine, i was trying to catch skarm to pressure it here i think, that said, he probably though i was already pressuring him and he had to make concessions OR he could keep SR off permanently anyways

t103 - actually quite critical - do i let tang get toxiced in exchange for getting rid of chansey's eviolite (and mamo gets even stronger?) - i choose not to since toxic is obvious and cobalion gets a tad more guaranteed progress here. yes a knocked chansey is great but tang put in a lot of work too

t112 - his skarm is para and I have rocks, finally tryna make progress with mamo - maybe he should have stayed in with chansey here but getting rid of protect quag's leftovers is good for me, i can 2hko it later with eq

t118 - pretty interesting that he evaluates my SR is more annoying than his 2 spikes, it doesn't put anything in range afaik, quagsire is still 2hko by eq even with rocks off, but i suppose it makes his play easier. in general, stall would prefer to play with no hazards than mutual hazards because switching to counters is more important for stall

t128 lucky scald burn although he didn't have to go tang, i assume he wanted progress with it, but my cobalion does counter his set and he already took my spiny headgear off

t132 and 133 - i get some progress off mantine, not sure why he let me, maybe he was trying to toxic me in which case i agree with his play although i got lucky, i did say i thought he was haze before though and he never toxics the whole game

t142 - the sequences with SR now are more effective since he might be full para on a defog turn

t158 - efficient aromas are hot but mamo can predict to get a kill finally and i do so, however, mamo is too weak now and needs wish support, probably will get toxiced later

t168 - which i accepted on this turn although i dodge the toxic entirely - i decide to slow play it and attack later, not wanting to trade eviolite for toxic

t178 - i just want a bit of damage on quag to put it in 2hko range of icicle crash

t184 - i could be more ambitious here, i doubt quag stays in after i try to giga its ass

t194 - not much to say here but to be clear - after skarmory dies and still at this point, I have an overwhelming advantage. I would expect to win this position basically all the time against anyone so it's extremely disappointing it went wrong for me

t196 - probably could have softboiled in case i miss twave, harder to heal chansey, but still not that hard

t200 - the big error is here - now cobalion cannot be healed on chansey anymore and it's a bit too difficult for me to keep chansey low. i had to keep cobalion above 100 hp in order to have a safe advantage. at the end of this turn, i think most, but not all, of my advantage has slipped. it might have been better to go chansey, even on turn 200, which is a sad concession but still maintains a big advantage. or tang on turn 200.

t210 - another tough turn for him, he gets it right and now slowking is hard to heal, but still over 100 hp

t212 - another very good turn by tdk which lets him heal chansey, i heal something too but it's not as important as i cant heal cobalion. i decide to launch a mamo attack instead

t214 - an echo of turn 200 - damage on chansey that i can't really preserve in exchange for one of my win cons being critically injured, by toxic now, knock off superior here

t215 - yet another good turn by tdk although it was pretty safe since icicle crash wont ko, at this point, i don't think i have an advantage anymore, i think tdk has a small advantage

t219 - a tough 50 50 for me now - i want to heal cobalion but am too worried to die to stoss and decide to get a mamo attack

t222 - no clue why quagsire was sacked here, however, it makes more sense when i realize his tang didnt have sludge bomb, maybe this should have tipped me off, my tang is actually a big threat for him, i think i reclaim a big advantage here again

t226 - i believe tang is so good i heal it over mamo (again, too scared to heal cobalion) - but he starts outplaying me again

t259 - yet another chance to knock his chansey but he still fucking outplays me, it's so infuriating, at this point, may as well just flip coins instead of making my own choices, nobody can predict a fair coin

turns until 264 - finally i start outplaying again and keep weezing low + get my own rocks up

t275 - should i crash again? maybe. but chansey could come in and then mantine could come in and my mamo could no longer heal on anything + it's toxiced, so i basically only get one more shot with him AND i don't get a singleko with it. not what I wanted to have, thought I had an advantage still so I could play it safer.

t305 - i think i was quite a lot worse up until this point, but letting me para mantine gives me some hope to both kill it with para hax but also like, it's just much less reliable, i dont think he had to let it get para. he had many chances to go tang and heal with regen

t310 - he lives life on the edge for whatever reason, i get the one full para i needed and my posiiton seems okay again, although not amazing. i want chansey to die on something as i wish, then cobalion gets healed by forcing something out.

turns until mamo dies on t318 - very depressing, i get basically the bare minimum from this interaction, knocking chansey off, at least this puts it in cobalion range if it's slightly hurt, which means i can try the wish tactic on turn 310

t319 - not a bluff, just a panic by me as i make the move with probably 1 or 2 seconds on the timer

t344 - chansey a bit obvious - what i could try here instead is go cobalion. he actually has one problem in addition to the cobalion sweep, my tang might sweep him if chansey dies as well, although i would need to play perfectly against synthesis and my remaining sludge bombs or get a lot of para hax.

t354 - idk if iron head or sd (or even cc) is better here, i may try to calculate it a bit more in depth later, regardless, i don't get enough and i lose

Overall...

It was a very difficult game made more painful because I knew I was much better at more than one point, I was extremely happy both right after Skarmory and right after Quagsire died. Definitely the critical error in my view was on turn 200 after Cobalion went into Stoss range without sufficient concessions from TDK. But besides that, all the credit in the world to him for playing extremely soundly against my Tangrowth in particular, winning I'd say at least 80 or 90% of the 50-50s my play induced. Also credit to him for keeping Chansey's Eviolite until the very end of the game, which was related to him outplaying Tangrowth.

This game also unfortunately lost my team the week. Part of the disappoint is numbed because were already 0-5, although that's not a particularly good reason, but to be honest, it doesn't numb it that much. I've seen 0-5 turn to 5-5 before and that's no longer possible because I played worse this game.

Despite that, I did have a very difficult start to this tournament, not necessarily because I played the top 3 seeds in the first 3 weeks (although that's part of it), but because I always had difficulties with TDK, Poek and PDT anyways - before this tournament, I lost to them respectively in uu classic, uu champs, and uupl. So while I probably would have been happy before the tournament started to go 2/3 in the group, I am pretty disappointed now after a loss.

Next week I'll have to pick up my efforts again, I do think these posts help me compartmentalize and forget about the loss until my next game, which will be brand new of course. Thanks for the support to my friends.
your posts are an inspiration and very informative. I love reading them every week and tdkaka is cringe for using stall!!

Week 3

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Cobalion           |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 2    | Salamence          |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 3    | Togekiss           |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Azelf              |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Tangrowth          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 3    | Chansey            |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 3    | Slowking           |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 8    | Amoonguss          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Hippowdon          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Skarmory           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Zarude             |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Rotom-Wash         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Necrozma           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Conkeldurr         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Hydreigon          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Excadrill          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Moltres            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Seismitoad         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Thundurus-Therian  |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Weezing-Galar      |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Quagsire           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Mantine            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Centiskorch        |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Gastrodon          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Jirachi            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Krookodile         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Reuniclus          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Tapu Bulu          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Suicune            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Crobat             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Scizor             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Salazzle           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Zygarde-10%        |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Primarina          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Nihilego           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Dhelmise           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Slowbro-Galar      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Mamoswine          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
Week 3 stats are above, not going to write too much because idt many actually cared last time, but I still think it's worth keeping track of usage stats for those still interested, plus since I post predicts I might as well do this too. There isn't particularly much to really report this week apart from Togekiss's surge in usage with 3 uses and winning all 3 games. It is a great benefactor of the current metagame as a check to the dragons, offensive threat to the Grasses, and taking advantage of Cobalion main Steel-type. Primarina also tanked a bit as the hype has died down. There's been a lot of para spam based teams so far to enable threats like the aforementioned Togekiss and Thundurus-T, it is a strong playstyle so I expect to see it keep up for a while. Stun Spore Amoonguss in general has become mainstream to avoid being setup bait for Cobalion. In general there's lots of one usage Pokemon which shows all the different options being used and diversity in the teambuilder, which is great to see.

Current record is 8/10 for predicts

[TER] Lyss vs Bushtush [SHO]- Bushtush is in after Poek seemingly not caring anymore, especially with a team that looked reminiscent of pre-October shifts a year ago. Bush is a great player but idk how dedicated and involved he is with UU atm so I will bold Lyss who is like 3-0 I think and has used a lot more diverse playstyles. Still it is anyone's game..
[BRE] LNumbers vs pokemonisfun [TMS]- Clark came back with a more meta-suited team Week 3 compared to the first 2 weeks but it didn't really show too much considering he faced a Centiskorch and Gastrodon. pif is very dedicated and put up a good fight last week against TDK and is mixing it up with team compositions, pretty confident bolding pif here.
[PLA] TDK vs pdt [ISL]- closest game of the week imo, TDK had a very controlling game against pif and won a lot of the 50/50s but used cringe stall. I liked pdt's team a lot last week and he took advantage of the potency of para spam. I think either can really take the win and flipped a coin and landed on TDK so I will bold him.
[FOX] Highways vs KSt3ve [DYN]- Highways got brutally lucked vs skarm and idk how his motivation is doing rn while steve has been holding his own well. Highways is the more proven player here so bolding him but Steve can definitely take it as well if he gets a good matchup and how the Foxes's prep goes.
[SPA] Lily vs bb skarm [GIB]- another hard matchup to decide, both have been doing well right now. Lily may be more motivated with the Spartan's current record while skarm likely wants a more legit win after the game last week. I think both have had weird games where they either won or lost based on matchup or hax involved. I think Lily has been more involved with the meta in general but close game either side can take it.

Lyssa

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
1/4 again last week, 4/12 total lol i suck at this.

[BRE] LNumbers vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - Both of them could've been cleaner last week. pif's coming from a tough loss in probably the best game we had in SCL so far, where he unfortunately got outplayed from a really good position. Props to him for his prep though, 3/3 weeks he got mu leads (in my opinion at least) and has been using some different teams compared to what we are used to see from him, although i wasn't the biggest fan of his team from last week. Clark's team seemed a lot more in touch with the meta, riding the Togekiss wave we have seen rising. That said, i still wasn't super convinced by how close clark's game especially considering poek's questionable choices in the builder, not even talking about the centiskorch but i don't know what that lycan set was. pif has been both prepping and playing better imo, last week he still had a pretty solid early to mid, so gonna bold him here.

[PLA] TDK vs pdt [ISL] - heat mu. Carson had an impressive game last week, don't have much else to say since even though that team choice was highly sus in my eyes, he made it work. pdt had a great team and got a nice win against lily, could definitely see him winning and i know he probably really wants to end TDK's winstreak and claim back his #1 title. i am still gonna be bolding Carson though, his play from last week was just far better than everyone elses this far.

[FOX] Highways vs KSt3ve [DYN] - i'm very sorry St3ve but i REALLY am rooting for freitas to pickup his very deserved win here. He has been playing well, with some slight mistakes here and there but nothing big, got mu'd once and got lucked extremely hard last week in probably the biggest robbery i've seen in the past year handsdown. St3ve should've definitely have won against me last week if he took his time and thought things through, the salazzle double was unnecessary and i'd imagine nerves and anxiety played a huge part there too. He's still doing ok, his early game was overall decent and was able to put himself in a solid winning position, he's definitely capable of doing better than what he showed last week if he takes his time and doesn't crumble, it just hasn't really happened yet. bolding freitas and hoping he's finally able to break this curse because he doesn't deserve to be winless atp in the tour.

[SPA] Lily vs bb skarm [GIB] - Lily has been bringing teams i liked week 2 and 3, idk how much she could've done last week and i need to rewatch that game, it still looked pretty hard but she's not playing bad. bb skarm hasn't convinced me in the last 2 weeks, the hydra and excas sets felt weird and he was only really able to out that position thanks to luck.

Last edited:

umbry

DPL Champion
idk i lost count

[TER] Lyss vs Bushtush [SHO] | Sorry rei you are getting eaten theres nothing I can do about it and theres nothing you can do about it.

[BRE] LNumbers vs pokemonisfun [TMS] | I'm happy clark got back on the board last week, he loaded a far better team than what hes used in previous weeks but his game didnt come without some missteps along the way which couldve costed him the game had he faced a real lycanroc set. His opponent is pif, who has looked quite good so far and I've been a fan of the way he approached his games and also of his analysis posts (great work btw). I'd favor pif here because of recent performances but clark could take it if he shows up with a well prepared team.

[PLA] TDK vs pdt [ISL] | Both seem to be in pretty good form and I liked most of the teams both players brought. Carson is the clear #1 in the pool to me right now, especially after last week's performance, and it's going to take more than just a slightly favorable matchup to take him down. I wouldn't be surprised if pdt took this game, his flashy teams and aggressive style of play probably give him the best chances anyone would have in the pool, he might just end stunting a little bit too hard and tdk is pretty good at punishing overly aggressive plays, really looking forward to catching this one live.

[FOX] Highways vs KSt3ve [DYN] | I was originally going to predict freitas but I just saw steve's post in the scl thread and honestly there's no coming back now you gotta win dude.

[SPA] Lily vs bb skarm [GIB] | Idk, haven't really been a fan of skarm's play and teams in his last 2 games and he also got pretty lucky last week. Lily is struggling a little although I don't really think it's a player issue as all her games pretty much had a sizeable advantage for one of the players at teams preview, her team last week was fine tbh it just didn't roll the right matchup and ended crumbling against pdt's offensive threats. Lilys scl team is also doing pretty terrible so im not sure how much time she wants to put into her game this week but id assume not much, whereas gibles finally winning a week should give skarm and hari a big boost in morale so imo they'll be more motivated to step it up this week.

lol i predicted against all the duckies this week dont hate me friends :(, hoping to see some good games btw :D!!

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

Lead and Match Up

View attachment 454939

Overall...

TDK was kind enough to answer some questions I had about our week 3 game, I copy and paste his answers he gave me here for anyone interested:

1) what did you think of MU?

Mamoswine was one of two Pokemon I was fearful with this team, the other being Azelf, so I was a bit uneasy seeing preview. I felt like I had a lot of tools to make progress given the matchup, but I wasn't sure if I had the ability to not let Mamoswine collect a KO whenever you got it in.

2) any reason you let mantine get knocked t100?

I valued getting hazards off at that point in time quite a bit, and losing my Boots on Mantine was bad, but felt inevitable. Given the state of the game, I felt you may try to aggressive Leech Seed my Skarmory and prevent it from being healthy and having a free turn. I weighed the options here and felt it was in my best interest to Defog.

3) any reason quags was sacked t222?

At this point in time, I was terrified of Mamoswine coming in. If I gave it any chances, it would put to the point where I'd no longer be able to recover and just lose. I initially clicked Scald pretty quickly, thinking that my Weezing switch was very telegraphed, but canceled shortly after to think through it some more. If I block Tangrowth from getting Regenerator off, you would have been in a very bad shape. I also considered that even if you were to kill Quagsire, I could still win from here. Quagsire was mostly designated to switch into Mamoswine and stall turns and force you to take as much damage as possible, so it wasn't an essential piece, but was still important. Even if Quagsire were to fall to Giga Drain, I could cancel out the Regen with Weezing as you were forced out. Ultimately I clicked Scald again and Quagsire died.

4) how important do you think it is to hide movesets like you did with sd tang?

In certain situations it can be very crucial. In our game, I hid SD Tangrowth as long as I could because I felt it to be pretty likely that 1. you expended your Sludge Bombs to kill my Weezing, 2. Salamence because you didn't think it was important, and/or 3. I got to block Tangrowth from healing via Regenerator. If I were to have a situation unfold like this, I thought in the early game that I could at the very worst force you to trade your Mamoswine to stop an outright Tangrowth sweep. Obviously it didn't come into play quite like I had envisioned early on, but did help me out in the end.

5) how do you make decisions that lead to outplaying in 50/50s such as starting on turn 209?

In this game, once my Skarmory died, I felt like I was playing from behind, but still could win. I knew I had to make certain things happen to come out on top and a lot of it would come down to pretty much just a guessing game. I tried to think through your thought process and figure out what moves you were likely to make based on the flow of the game thus far. A lot of it was just gut feelings and there wasn't a lot of "well he could do x or y so z covers both", but rather just guess work. I rarely think there are straight up 50/50s in Pokemon, but it wouldn't be terribly inaccurate to say that a lot occurred in this game, as there were a lot of turns where the game would be won or lost without a "correct" play.

I'll try to logically explain a couple turns after the fact:
209: I have not revealed my attack yet, while you most likely correctly deduced it was Strange Stream, both Strange Stream and Sludge Bomb would KO Tangrowth from the range you were at. Even if you were to stay in, you are not going to completely knock my Weezing out of the game, unless I Pain Split on Sludge Bomb, so my thought process is that you value your Tangrowth too much here and feel ahead, so you don't need to take an unnecessary risk.
210: I Strange Stream because I felt you would never attack here, always TP or Slack, and I could get some damage or fish for a confusion.
211: You needed to Earthquake to guarantee extra damage on Quagsire, so I went to Mantine here hoping for the best.
212-216: Knew you wouldn't risk Mamoswine, because again, you probably felt you were ahead, so I doubled to Chansey. I was always willing to trade Chansey's Eviolite for a Toxic on Mamoswine, so I stayed in and was hit with an Earthquake instead. Then gut feeling to go Tangrowth instead of Quagsire, and had to pivot to Quagsire on 216 because Crash could kill.
234: I realized having Weezing in on Chansey was bad, given that you were Wish + Mamoswine was poisoned, so I had to make a switch that covered Mamoswine.
249: I felt you would Crash here predicting me to pivot to Tangrowth on a Knock Off.
250-263: My thought process here is to try to avoid my Chansey from getting Knocked so it can still eat hits from Mamoswine, but also prevent the rest of my team from being taken out of commission by Tangrowth. After I got Weezing in, I got a couple turns wrong as you go Cobalion in on a Pain Split. I knew it was possible here but I wanted to play safely and not risk my Weezing getting knocked out by a Seismic Toss or anything.
312-315: I STossed here because I didn't want to risk my Weezing dying here as you made a good midground TWave. After this, I anticipated a Soft Boiled, which is why I went to Weezing. Given that you Wished, I had anticipated you to switch out, as Salamence was still alive and could Defog to save Chansey later in the game, and you weren't going to risk your Chansey, despite it almost running out of PP. Mamoswine was quite free for you. Chansey then eats the Knock Off.

316-318: You correctly EQ on my first stay in, which pretty much turns the following turns into straight up guessing games. I knew Icicle Crash was a high upside, low downside play on 317 so I Softed praying to not get flinch, and correctly called that. The next turn I didn't want to risk my Chansey; even getting flinched would be the end and I didn't want to push my luck of avoiding two Crash flinches, without considering the fact you needed to Earthquake to kill Chansey. I did, in the moment, consider that you would Earthquake though. Ultimately it worked out, but in hindsight, I should have went to Mantine instead. If you did Icicle Crash, the game was over and I would not have been able to do anything about it. Tangrowth was a necessity to not lose to Cobalion on the spot. After Mamoswine was dead, I felt I was very much favored, and then once your Chansey lost the speed tie, it was over barring some big luck.

Lily

is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
2/4 last week and 9/12 total (3/5 / 10/13 if u count me bolding pdt against myself...)

[TER] Lyss vs Poek [SHO] - i love poek but it's 3-0 vs 0-3 i can't rly fight that

[BRE] LNumbers vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - pif has looked super good, last week's game was tough and it was clear that in the longer game he was having trouble / starting to crack but clark was having the same issues in his stall game as well. I think this will be pretty close tbh but I favour pif especially since he's in great form.

[PLA] TDK vs pdt [ISL] - leo is probably bursting a blood vessel every time someone bolds tdk but even still i will do it. he has looked so much stronger than the rest of the pool to me. pdt absolutely obliterated me last week and tbf his tendencies will probably make carson yell bad words at his screen but i think i favour carson anyway

[FOX] Highways vs KSt3ve [DYN] - highways has struggled a fair bit, i don't think any of his games have really been poorly played necessarily but he's definitely been having trouble either in execution or in the builder - some bad luck has gotten in the way too ofc, he def should've won last week in a fair world, but hey that's the price of focus blast ig. st3ve on the other hand rlly messed up last week in a game i don't think he ever should've lost, salazzle tossed lyss like a salad but he doubled into it for no reason and ate a stun spore which rly set him up for a loss. makes it a lil tough to bold him until he can sharpen those edges out

gl all go team :D

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
My week 4 game vs Lnumbers: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-652239

It was clearly a short affair, to the point where I will try to go a bit more in depth each turn. But obviously these type of games happen when it's HO, let alone HO vs HO.

I won't go over this game on twitch as there wasn't too much content but I'll try to pick another SCL game or maybe swiss or some other nice game to review on my twitch later this week, on Wed/Tuesday as usual.

Thanks guys for the support.

1664719058386.png

MU and lead

I didn't expect clark to HO, I thought he'd bring something like Chandelure or another mid speed tier but strong attacker to take advanatge of some of the bulky things I've been running. I figured HO would minimize my weakness to those mons but I end up rolling an even better MU than expected as many of my mons can sweep.

It seemed quite crucial to prevent rocks from going up on my side of the field, more so than me getting my own rocks. I have a couple of Sash users including Polteageist. I assumed he was no hazard control and simply boots on his three rocks weak mons so I didn't really think rocks were needed but still lead with Exca to try and stop his skarm from getting them up. Fortunately, he turns out to be a set where I can prevent hazards - he lacks both Weak Armor and Rocky Helmet, both of which could be issues in stopping hazards. Nevertheless, custap berry + brave bird suicide meant he had a chance to set up SR still, in which case I think I'd still be favored (depending on his sets) but it certainly would have been more of a game. Anyways, obviously I have a nice advantage on MU because Polteageist can autowin but let's just go turn by turn.

Also, FYI, I didn't have to lead exca, polt was an option too to just completely try and win but I figured he was max speed taunt and felt like i had better odds than starting with the 50-50.

T1

As discussed, Excadrill seems like a fine way to start the game to try and get Rocks up, so I do so. I know he is going to set up hazards but I can at least spin once and go from there if needed on turn 2. He does set up hazards as expected here, they have many many functions in competitive singles as most of you already know, the most important use here is to break focus sashes which I may have and put some of my mons in range of moves, like Necrozma OHKOing Gyarados with a boost after rocks.

T2

So I need to get rocks off for reasons I mentioned in t1. But I choose to Rock Tomb for a few reasons. First of all, I wanted Skarmory to be slower than Polteageist in case he wasn't weak armor. Second, I thought I could spin the next turn anyways because Excadrill will still have it's sash - Spin right away could break sash to rocky helmet Skarm, which is unlikely but possible still. Third, I figured the only way he guarantees rocks up is if he's weak armor AND body press which sounds ridiculously awful and impossible (and body press would be weak anyways). I didn't remember he could be custap berry at all until he revealed it.

If he was weak armor, I figure okay he's faster than me, but that's fine because I can spam spin and there is minimal chance he's Helmet and armor, so he can never get hazards up. What will happen is he eventually kills my billy, I have SR, he has no hazard, he has like a 50 or 60% Skarm at like -3 or 4 def but max speed. I was planning to go Moister Cloyster after that and attack (and kill him) - he either has to break my Sash or set up SR and let me keep my sash. A bonus scenario is if he taunts me so I keep sash and he doesn't get hazards but that wasn't very likely. I was thinking at this point, I should have a solid advantage no matter because Poltegeist can set up on Cobalion if necessary to just win as I did in the game

He ends up using BB and revealing no weak armor, which makes me extremely happy, as I know I can guarantee rocks off now (actually this isn't correct, since he is Custap, which again I didn't know about, there are ways he can keep rocks up vs me, killing himself with bb as I try to spin).

T3

Obviously I need to spin now to get rid of hazards, he continues chipping away at Exca which makes sense.

T4

I briefly considered spinning again on turn 4 just for extra speed to make sure absolutely nothing can set up on me but again I have several sash users so I feel fine just getting more damage on Skarm. He continues to chip, trying to pu thimself in custap range

T5

I completely forget custap exists. I honestly don't remember what I clicked this turn but I believe I clicked rock tomb. This was the critical turn of the game, where he could have set up hazards. yes it's true, I could/should have spun as custap is super obvious on sturdy skarmory, which probably safely won me the game, but it's not like he really had any chance if polt comes in on -2 speed Skarm with an intact sash. He should have hoped for me to choke which I did by not spinning here. Skarmory easily OHKOs Polt with max attack BB at -1 def so I couldn't set up on it.

That said, even after potentially abusing choke, I still had a very very good MU for reasons I don't really want to disclose, but maybe you can guess looking at my team.

T6

I calced my polt outspeeds and KOs everything so I go for it. Even Gyarados should die to Stored Power if I get the Weak Armor boost from BB skarm. I outspeed everything as well so I know I should win bar a very unusual set like ghost berry necrozma, but like, I know I should go for this anyways. The Taunt on Polt doesn't really stop me but there was nothing at that point, except maybe hope for like white herb and brave bird crit. But again, I'm sash

T7 to 10

Not much to say, obviously I click the strongest move each time to hit what's in front of me.

Conclusion

I'm obviously happy about the result of the game as my team has been on a downslide since winning week 1. It's especially nice to win because I was very active in clark's scl team last year to try and support, although idk if I helped much besides moral support, so it's nice to know I can win games for myself too.

It does help my confidence again after a really painful and sad loss last week to TDK, which frankly just hurt to go over live and type about, and seeing my good position wasted, repeatedly.

I mentioned earlier a few months ago I thought the tier was fun because HO was being used less, but that was a very artificial decision, HO is still quite good and people didn't use it only because they just forgot about it/even big tournaments are never enough of a sample size/bias by top players. I believe this prediction is kind of coming out as true now, with multiple people using and succeeding with HO now, albeit this game was a mirror. That said, I don't think this tier is that much worse competitively, I just like it a bit less.

The tournament is not even half over yet and there's a lot more work to be done, and I believe there's a lot of room for improvement still, even as this short game showed, I forgot about a basic mechanic in custap berry. I'm still happy that I'm playing in an official for the first time in a few years and always I'll be doing what I can to represent UU players well, in both a playing and supporting role.

Thanks all for the support as usual.

Last edited:
Week 4

Code:
| 1    | Hydreigon          |    5 |  50.00% |  80.00% |
| 1    | Gyarados           |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 3    | Excadrill          |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Scizor             |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 3    | Celesteela         |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 3    | Salamence          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 3    | Thundurus-Therian  |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 3    | Zygarde-10%        |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 3    | Cobalion           |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 3    | Necrozma           |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 11   | Nihilego           |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 11   | Amoonguss          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 11   | Polteageist        |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 11   | Chansey            |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Hatterene          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Keldeo             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Cloyster           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Nidoqueen          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Rotom-Wash         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Tangrowth          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Vanilluxe          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Skarmory           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Weezing-Galar      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Slowking           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Heracross          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Swampert           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Chandelure         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Tapu Bulu          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Crobat             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Froslass           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Azumarill          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
Weeks 1-4

Code:
| 1    | Salamence          |   18 |  45.00% |  38.89% |
| 2    | Cobalion           |   16 |  40.00% |  68.75% |
| 3    | Hydreigon          |   10 |  25.00% |  70.00% |
| 4    | Tangrowth          |    9 |  22.50% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Amoonguss          |    9 |  22.50% |  55.56% |
| 4    | Nihilego           |    9 |  22.50% |  55.56% |
| 4    | Chansey            |    9 |  22.50% |  44.44% |
| 8    | Primarina          |    8 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Scizor             |    8 |  20.00% |  25.00% |
| 10   | Excadrill          |    7 |  17.50% |  85.71% |
| 10   | Diggersby          |    7 |  17.50% |  42.86% |
| 10   | Skarmory           |    7 |  17.50% |  28.57% |
| 13   | Gyarados           |    6 |  15.00% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Zygarde-10%        |    6 |  15.00% |  33.33% |
| 15   | Rotom-Wash         |    5 |  12.50% |  80.00% |
| 15   | Azelf              |    5 |  12.50% |  80.00% |
| 15   | Necrozma           |    5 |  12.50% |  60.00% |
| 15   | Thundurus-Therian  |    5 |  12.50% |  40.00% |
| 15   | Slowking           |    5 |  12.50% |  20.00% |
| 20   | Togekiss           |    4 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 20   | Celesteela         |    4 |  10.00% |  75.00% |
| 20   | Jirachi            |    4 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 20   | Reuniclus          |    4 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 20   | Slowbro-Galar      |    4 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 20   | Crobat             |    4 |  10.00% |  25.00% |
| 20   | Hippowdon          |    4 |  10.00% |  25.00% |
| 27   | Conkeldurr         |    3 |   7.50% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Tapu Bulu          |    3 |   7.50% |  33.33% |
| 27   | Dhelmise           |    3 |   7.50% |  33.33% |
| 27   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    3 |   7.50% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Zarude             |    3 |   7.50% |   0.00% |
| 32   | Nidoqueen          |    2 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 32   | Seismitoad         |    2 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 32   | Keldeo             |    2 |   5.00% |  50.00% |
| 32   | Polteageist        |    2 |   5.00% |  50.00% |
| 32   | Weezing-Galar      |    2 |   5.00% |  50.00% |
| 32   | Krookodile         |    2 |   5.00% |  50.00% |
| 32   | Quagsire           |    2 |   5.00% |  50.00% |
| 32   | Zarude-Dada        |    2 |   5.00% |  50.00% |
| 32   | Azumarill          |    2 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 32   | Mamoswine          |    2 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 32   | Starmie            |    2 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Hatterene          |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Cloyster           |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Vanilluxe          |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Moltres            |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Mantine            |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Scolipede          |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Raikou             |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Golurk             |    1 |   2.50% | 100.00% |
| 43   | Heracross          |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Swampert           |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Chandelure         |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Froslass           |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Centiskorch        |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Gastrodon          |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Suicune            |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Salazzle           |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Rhyperior          |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Xurkitree          |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Haxorus            |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Umbreon            |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
| 43   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |

Weekly usage stats + predicts post is here, from now on I'll be including the cumulative usage stats overall in a spoiler below as well to keep track for those interested. I'll primarily cover trends week-by-week though.
- hyper offense had a massive surge in usage this week, being used by half of all starters, which is an insane number considering how hyper offense has just been solid for the most part. Both Gyarados and Salamence in particular have begun to show insane dominance on hyper offense teams, using their great defensive utility and snowball potential to quickly take games with a boost. The decline of Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon as well as the ability to exploit Skarmory with Taunt from the former and Fire Blast from the latter has made these Pokemon difficult to answer. Beyond these two, we see uses of Pokemon like Necrozma, Polteageist, and even Dragon Dance Hydreigon on other hyper offense teams used.
- I hinted at this earlier but these two Pokemon have taken a giant dip lately. Hippowdon is being exploited too much lately on teams while the hype regarding Primarina has worn down and its flaws like lower Speed and somewhat awkwardness in the builder are beginning to show. Primarina is still very solid but Hippowdon has pretty much fallen off from its S tier top dog status, it should not be getting this little usage and still be represented as something at the top.

I went from 8/10 to 9/15 in predicts based on last week, hoping to bounce back this week

[DYN] KSt3ve vs Lily [SPA]- Steve had a dominant win last week and owned Meru in his winpost although DD Mence just kinda autwon. Spartans finally won a week so Lily may be more motivated to win. I think Lily is the more solid player despite Steve's better record so will go with her here although she should def not underestimate Steve's unpredictability in the builder.
[ISL] pdt vs bb skarm [GIB]- pdt has cemented himself as top 3 of the starting pool easily and beat TDK last week, it makes it pretty hard to bold anyone else against him at this point. skarm could take it though.
[SHO] Poek vs KM [FOX]- go KM. Poek finally got a W using a pretty cool hyper offense with DD mixed hydreigon which has made me want to try it out on my own teams. KM meanwhile is in and hopefully doesn't self sabotage bringing a random NU Pokemon. I think poek may have found his groove with hyper offense and while KM can definitely take this my gut leans poek. Sorry KM but rooting for you to win!
[TMS] DugZa vs Lyss [TER]- I'm surprised pif is sitting this week out. DugZa is very good at Pokemon although I do not know how in sync they are with current UU although they prob can just get a pif team lying around or something. Lyss ran into DD Hydreigon which took her by surprise but still is very capable, will go with her based on recent playing.
[PLA] TDK vs Fakee [BRE]- arguably top 1-2 in the pool against someone I do not know much about in the current UU climate, bolding TDK I don't really want to write too much else here.

umbry

DPL Champion
gm speedrunning predictions very late in the week :(

[DYN] KSt3ve vs Lily [SPA] | meru support looking unstoppable rn.

[ISL] pdt vs bb skarm [GIB] | both are 3-1 and on a good campaign, imo pdt has looked a lot better and also has better support.

[SHO] Poek vs KM [FOX] | already happened but luckily i predicted this matchup ahead of time.

[TMS] DugZa vs Lyss [TER] | unsure why pif isn't playing he's probably just busy this week. I think dugza is a good all around player but lyss is more proven in uu.

[PLA] TDK vs Fakee [BRE] | uh...yeah...idk much about fakee in uu but the breakers have been lacking when it came to building so far while carson is 3-1 and has been pretty solid.

good luck and have fun everyone :D!

Lily

UU Leader
last min just so i can say i did these every week

[ISL] pdt vs bb skarm [GIB] - both are owning i just want to bold pdt i don't really have much reasoning

[SHO] Poek vs KM [FOX] - already won, i would've bolded poek anyway for the record though

[TMS] DugZa vs Lyss [TER] - i'm sorry lyss i'm such a fake friend i just feel like dugza is gonna randomly pop off

[PLA] TDK vs Fakee [BRE] - pretty surprised fakee is in but ig clark's been struggling, he's pretty solid and seems to pick up a lot of wins but i will continue to bold tdk until i have reason not to though

Week 5

Code:
| 1    | Cobalion           |    6 |  60.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Salamence          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 2    | Slowking           |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 2    | Primarina          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 2    | Diggersby          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 2    | Thundurus-Therian  |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 2    | Hydreigon          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 2    | Scizor             |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 9    | Amoonguss          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Mamoswine          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Hatterene          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Celesteela         |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Nihilego           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Zygarde-10%        |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Dhelmise           |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Chandelure         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Zarude-Dada        |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Azumarill          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Keldeo             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Excadrill          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Togekiss           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Nidoqueen          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Crobat             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Mandibuzz          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Torkoal            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Darmanitan         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Venusaur           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Swampert           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Slowbro-Galar      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Tangrowth          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Necrozma           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Suicune            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Skarmory           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
Overall Stats

Code:
| 1    | Cobalion           |   22 |  44.00% |  63.64% |
| 2    | Salamence          |   21 |  42.00% |  42.86% |
| 3    | Hydreigon          |   13 |  26.00% |  61.54% |
| 4    | Amoonguss          |   11 |  22.00% |  63.64% |
| 4    | Nihilego           |   11 |  22.00% |  54.55% |
| 4    | Primarina          |   11 |  22.00% |  45.45% |
| 4    | Scizor             |   11 |  22.00% |  27.27% |
| 8    | Tangrowth          |   10 |  20.00% |  60.00% |
| 8    | Diggersby          |   10 |  20.00% |  40.00% |
| 10   | Chansey            |    9 |  18.00% |  44.44% |
| 11   | Excadrill          |    8 |  16.00% |  87.50% |
| 11   | Thundurus-Therian  |    8 |  16.00% |  37.50% |
| 11   | Zygarde-10%        |    8 |  16.00% |  37.50% |
| 11   | Slowking           |    8 |  16.00% |  37.50% |
| 11   | Skarmory           |    8 |  16.00% |  25.00% |
| 16   | Celesteela         |    6 |  12.00% |  66.67% |
| 16   | Gyarados           |    6 |  12.00% |  66.67% |
| 16   | Necrozma           |    6 |  12.00% |  50.00% |
| 16   | Zarude-Dada        |    6 |   12.00% |  33.33% |
| 20   | Togekiss           |    5 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 20   | Rotom-Wash         |    5 |  10.00% |  80.00% |
| 20   | Azelf              |    5 |  10.00% |  80.00% |
| 20   | Slowbro-Galar      |    5 |  10.00% |  40.00% |
| 20   | Crobat             |    5 |  10.00% |  40.00% |
| 20   | Dhelmise           |    5 |  10.00% |  20.00% |
| 26   | Mamoswine          |    4 |   8.00% |  50.00% |
| 26   | Jirachi            |    4 |   8.00% |  50.00% |
| 26   | Reuniclus          |    4 |   8.00% |  50.00% |
| 26   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    4 |   8.00% |  25.00% |
| 26   | Hippowdon          |    4 |   8.00% |  25.00% |
| 31   | Nidoqueen          |    3 |   6.00% | 100.00% |
| 31   | Conkeldurr         |    3 |   6.00% | 100.00% |
| 31   | Hatterene          |    3 |   6.00% |  66.67% |
| 31   | Keldeo             |    3 |   6.00% |  66.67% |
| 31   | Azumarill          |    3 |   6.00% |  33.33% |
| 31   | Tapu Bulu          |    3 |   6.00% |  33.33% |
| 37   | Seismitoad         |    2 |   4.00% | 100.00% |
| 37   | Chandelure         |    2 |   4.00% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Polteageist        |    2 |   4.00% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Weezing-Galar      |    2 |   4.00% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Krookodile         |    2 |   4.00% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Quagsire           |    2 |   4.00% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Swampert           |    2 |   4.00% |   0.00% |
| 37   | Suicune            |    2 |   4.00% |   0.00% |
| 37   | Starmie            |    2 |   4.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Mandibuzz          |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Cloyster           |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Vanilluxe          |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Moltres            |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Mantine            |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Scolipede          |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Raikou             |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Golurk             |    1 |   2.00% | 100.00% |
| 46   | Torkoal            |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Darmanitan         |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Venusaur           |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Heracross          |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Froslass           |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Centiskorch        |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Gastrodon          |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Salazzle           |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Rhyperior          |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Xurkitree          |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Haxorus            |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Umbreon            |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |
| 46   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |   2.00% |   0.00% |

Doing something a bit different this week. Inspired by Expulso's great post in the NU VR thread, I decided to use the cumulative stats and see how our UU VR would look like if solely based off of SCL stats. I typically assigned each rank to cover certain ranges of stats, primarily in the higher levels. For example, 13-10 uses is A+, 9-6 is A, and 5-4 is A-, with 3, 2, and 1 falling in line with the B ranks. The result was...
9DD26DCA-56FB-4E1B-9B7C-353D63861F27.jpeg

Some first impressions:
-Quite accurate for the most part, A+ makes sense with Hydreigon, Diggersby, Primarina, Nihilego, Tangrowth, and Amoonguss all being metagame defining Pokemon that are putting in lots of work in-game. A rank has defining threats like Slowking, Skarmory, and Gyarados, whereas A- features Pokemon that can fit there like Togekiss, Azelf, and Galarian Slowbro. It's not 100% perfect and similar to the actual VR but most of the rankings make sense, Tapu Bulu in the same rank as Conkeldurr and Keldeo is pretty whack though.
-Necrozma sits at 6 uses and ranks at A in this VR, while it's currently B on the actual VR. My placement could leave it up for debate on A or A- but it's still a 2 subrank jump at minimum. I've always found Necrozma to be very underrated, it's set diversity on hyper offense ranging from offensive Stealth Rock to Autotomize+ Meteor Beam to Dragon Dance to even Calm Mind makes it unpredictable to face. With only 2 real Dark-types in the metagame, Necrozma has an easy time matching up into most teams and running them over. Certainly underranked for a while, hopefully this coming VR update will feature a formal rise on the VR for Necrozma.
-Hippowdon sits at A- right now while being S flat on the VR. Very crazy to see at first glance but a huge status and spikes vulnerability is really wearing down Hippowdon. It has gotten like maybe 1 use over the last 3 weeks, everyone is running sets and lures to punish it and more Ground-types like Excadrill are being experimented with. Hard to say if it'll be making a comeback now.
-In terms of the 0 usage stuff, they make sense. Most are very niche Pokemon hard to use or just not that good in the current environment. Only Noivern really sticks out as something that should have been used at least once, imo it's still a solid revenge killer and can be scary to face on heavy offenses and spikes but I get why it's being dropped over Scarf Hydreigon lately.

Hopefully this post sparks more discussion since this thread has been pretty dead lately after the hype that comes with week 1 wears off. I'll do another post like this when the tour finishes but hopefully this was enjoyable to read and see how current stats translate into a visual VR.

Predicts time, currently 13/20. I managed to get 4/5 right last week.

[BRE] Fakee vs pdt [ISL]- I didn't see much of it but I think Fakee played an impressive game vs TDK and used Thundurus to their advantage a lot. pdt has been very dominant though and is top 3 in the pool and I don't see that changing for a bit, likely hungry for a comeback after Islanders losing last week. Fakee can take it but bolding pdt.
[TER] Lyss vs TDK [PLA]- TDK used inner focus bat which is weird but otherwise has been dominant and managed to beat a Cobalion with a Mandibuzz which is impressive because Mandibuzz sucks. Generally considered to be top of the pool rn idt I can bold anyone else against TDK anymore tbh.
EDIT: I meant not using inner focus Crobat sorry I typed it wrong it was a long day yesterday.
[FOX] watashi vs pokemonisfun [TMS]- third foxes UU slot and only on week 6, usually not a good sign to rapidly change out slots. I think regardless of who was playing I would've bolded pif here, I see him as more stronger than any of the foxes's UU players.
[SPA] Lily vs Poek [SHO]-close game, poek has had 2 dominant back to back wins with hyper offense and I would not be surprised if he kept loading it during this tour. I think Lily can come up with some stuff that matches well into hyper offense but Poek could also bring a cracked threat that's unpredictable to account for. rooting for Lily so bolding her.
[GIB] bb skarm vs KSt3ve [DYN]- been more impressed with skarm as a player so will keep it short and bold him.

Last edited:

umbry

DPL Champion
[BRE] Fakee vs pdt [ISL] | Fakee had what was a rough debut last week, they did roll a good matchup (perhaps aided a little bit by carson only loading 3 mons and a half) and had a pretty significant advantage at different points in the game, then it just seemed like pressure got to them and the game ultimately ended in a 50/50. Can't really fault them honestly it's pretty brutal being subbed in a tier they're not super familiar with and having to play tdk as their first opponent, what's even more brutal is doing so and getting pdt the following week, who has also been doing extremely well and in general is someone who I rate highly as well. Hard to go against pdt here.

[TER] Lyss vs TDK [PLA] | Regardless of whatever it was that tdk loaded last week, his play has just been brilliant, his way of forcing opponents into awkward sequences and just getting all those key turns right is something we've seen happen multiple times this season already and I still can't really get my head around how he does it so consistently. On the other hand lyss is coming off a loss and is looking to bounce back here, she has been holding her own fine so far though she's still really prone to nerves and it has shown it can really hold her back sometimes. If lyss can keep her focus throughout the entire game then she's certainly up to the challenge but tdk would still be favored vs anyone just by how dominant he's been. HL btw.

[FOX] watashi vs pokemonisfun [TMS] | Cool to see pif back in action, he was having a pretty good tournament before subbing out last week. The foxes however are not doing so hot and are still yet to win a single uu game, we are now seeing watashi start in uu for the first time in this tournament which is cool, he's a very talented player and it's surely going to be an exciting game to watch. pif has been doing a really good job in preparing his games the weeks he has played which is why I favor him here but I can also see this game swing the other way if the foxes' core steps it up in the builder.

[SPA] Lily vs Poek [SHO] | Both won last week and had a good showing. I rate both players about the same rn and I feel they also have pretty similar preferred styles so this game will likely come down to who preps better. Poek has been bringing a wide variety of hyper offenses filled with wild picks such as esteemed underused threat dragon dance hydreigon, really hoping to see a centiskorch here again tbh but probably not gonna happen :(. Lily also has a knack for bringing unconventional stuff though usually she chooses a bulkier approach for more stability, as well as fitting more mons that are on the vr... both can be very unpredictable but I feel like lily is more likely to do a better job in preparation and to grab a win here.

[GIB] bb skarm vs KittenSt3ve [DYN]

glhf everyone :sphearical:!

Last edited:

Lily

UU Leader
1/4 week 4, 4/4 week 5, 14/20 overall

[BRE] Fakee vs pdt [ISL] - upset for sure and i have no real reason to do this because pdt is doing very well but my gut is telling me to bold fakee. he did well to make his game vs tdk very close last week, i admittedly didn't watch it but like it looked close as shit at the end. pdt on the other hand has just been owning and logically will continue here but for some reason i feel like he'll slip up here.

[TER] Lyss vs TDK [PLA]- if tdk uses viable mons this week he's gonna have a much easier time than otherwise but yea nothing i can say here that i haven't already, skillwise he's just better than everyone else and lyss's motivation seems a little bit shot. i don't wanna bold against either :(

[FOX] watashi vs pokemonisfun [TMS] - zacian crowned is not legal in this tier unfortunately so edge for pif. close overall though, will be a challenge for pif i think considering the data on watashi in ss uu is minimal and he's liable to bring some absurd bullshit if he wants to.

[GIB] bb skarm vs KSt3ve [DYN] - two similar records and two similar players imo, think skarm's a little better as a player and the combination of him + hariyana has led to generally good teams & mostly ok play, but i think kst3ve is super creative and he's been pretty solid at getting good matchups overall altho he is misplaying them a little bit. if he can tighten up a little bit and take advantage of his good builder skills i think he'll take it. should be a very fun one tho i think

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
My week 6 game (5th game overall, I was subbed out week 5) vs watashi: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-654749

As usual, I will try to go over this live Tuesday or Wednesday. Another shorter game so I will try to go through each and every turn.

MU and lead

1665964553264.png

I have to say, I was extremely pleased with the MU as I have fairly solid counters to most of my opponent's HO. I had EQ on AV Tangrowth for Toxtricity and nearly max Defense Umbreon fo Gyarados, which were probably Watashi's best bets to break my team. There are a few HO mainstays that break stall better which Watashi didn't use - NP Azelf in particular and NP Thundurus are scary but didn't show up, luckily for me. For the 5th time out of 5 games this tournament, I felt very happy with the MU and was quite confident going into this. I end up choosing to lead with Celesteela. I figured he wants to get Rocks like usual and although Tangrowth made sense, I didn't want to reveal EQ or PowerWhip miss chance. Umbreon might have been a good option too in retrospect to just sit vs his whole team. I'd Foul Play on the SR, then scout his turn 2 with Wish. I regret not doing this in retrospect beause Umbreon is harder for him to set up on than Celesteela - Cele invites Gyara and Toxtr, Umbreon doesn't.

Turn 1 - hurting exca is pretty freaking obvious in as he is most likely getting rocks. for beginners: why would he rocks when I can obviously defog with mence? many reasons, but exca's only real purpose in this MU is to keep rocks up 100% (and rocks off his own side) even at the cost of it's life, this puts things like Umbreon in 2HKO range of Gyarados

Turn 2 - leech was supposed to catch toxtricity or gyara -in retrospect I do regret this a bit, it seems unlikely he would risk even minor chip on his main win conditions

Turn 3 - example of opponent doubling- I couldn't protect here because I don't have it! Which is unusual for a Celesteela. I don't think Watashi knew this. I'm going to credit his play here, often times when there is a "safe" protect to scout something, you often shouldn't use it anyways. Why? Because the next turn, the double switch becomes painfully easy for the opponent. I think watashi was thinking about this, protect yields me minimal benefit since I don't need chip on steela, so they kind of know the logic in green above, so they knew I was switching out. Anyways, obviously this is all predictions and not foolproof, but if there is a logical explanation for flcl's play, this is it

Turn 4 - close combat is painfully obvious since my main switch in is quagsire, i go mence here, i figure i don't need it for anything tbh, as my celesteela can always trade itself for opposing scizor

Turn 5 - tang to cover a rock move, easily at -1 attack

Turn 6 - how did i know to knock here? well, normally, HO players don't often preserve their suicide lead. the main exception is vs slow fat stall teams like mine. i also realized from turn 2, celesteela wasn't valued much by my opponent, so i figured they might switch to it here. opponent keeping exca alive is fairly important to keep rocks off for him / on my side

Turn 7 - trying to catch a double but more importantly, umbreon doesn't take net SR damage unlike chansey because of leftovers. w/o meteor beam (no herb), steela cant hurt me too much

Turn 8 - no reason not to protect, he has no Umbreon counter anyways, lycanroc is the strongest thing he has to weaken umbreon so he's not switching out to abuse the protect

Turn 9 - why not mence here? well, I already risked it once plus quags is much safer

Turn 10 - obviously heal

Turn 11 - umbreon is a counter to gyarados here so I go to it. Foul Play has a good shot to KO after a dd boost. Why not inner focus umbreon? well, synchronize was important to keep rocks off in the hippo match up, as I figured I could bait hippo to toxic itself eventually.

Turn 12 and 13 - obviously I need to foul play, especially as it has a chance to KO. I could also cycle between wish and protect until he dds twice, then foul play 100% KOs, but then I basically just lose to a flinch because gyara will be at +3 instead of +2 attack after killing umbreon, plus, fp has a 50% shot to KO a standard gyara anyways at +1

Turn 14/15 - I feel this is a critical error from me although it didn't end up mattering much. I probably should have went celesteela to kill the gyara instead of tang. Why? Well my AV EQ tangrowth is the only thing stopping Toxtricity from sweeping (these run shift gear drain punch). I still have mence and quags for scizor so I don't think I need Celesteela as much. Honestly, I don't know why I did this, except maybe I thought Tangrowth was slightly less prone to hax (ice fang freeze/flinch chance is less than waterfall flinch chance because the miss chance + thaw chance + independent event (.9*.9=81% chance to not get flinched nor frozen not factoring in miss/thaw). Still, Toxtricity is a big enough threat and these odds are small enough in difference I think celesteela was better

Turn 16-20 - I cant let gyara get to +3 or else it sweeps even celesteela and I lose bar pwhip miss on quags, hence the mence and quag dance here. still this is pretty awful. i make some super basic predictions and my opponent obliges - why? well at this point, after umbreon died, my position is pretty terrible and he doesn't feel like he needs to predict to win anymore, he pretty much wants to rely on toxtricity and if it ends up killing or mauling chansey, celesteela can also sweep

t21/22 - regen so I have a shot against toxtricity, it kos tang from here without regen

t23 - i hope for a shift gear here but boomburst is a perfectly fine play here for opponent, not just to catch tangrowth but even if chansey stayed in, i think he'd still be able to beat it later since i'm weakened. basically at this moment i lose the game - everything else from here is just execution. i suppose i could have bluffed draco or eq on mence on turn 25 for example, but after missing that last opportunity, i really am just dead in the water. The rest of the game is just opponent cleaning up

Conclusion -

To be blunt, I almost cried after this game. I was extremely sad. There are a few things to keep in mind from it, I probably should have led Umbreon, I had a chance to bluff at the end, and overall I wish I used Umbreon a bit more and didn't let him get some good turns like turn 3. This game is pretty depressing honestly, hopefully I will be able to keep my emotions a bit better in check win or lose in the future. Thanks as usual for the support.

Week 6

Code:
| 1    | Cobalion           |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 2    | Celesteela         |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Rotom-Wash         |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Azelf              |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 3    | Amoonguss          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 3    | Gyarados           |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 7    | Hydreigon          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 7    | Primarina          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 7    | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 7    | Nidoqueen          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 7    | Scizor             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Diggersby          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Excadrill          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Tangrowth          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Salamence          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Rhyperior          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Slowbro-Galar      |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Zarude             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Golisopod          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Toxtricity         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Slowking           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Politoed           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Tornadus           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Kingdra            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Seismitoad         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Mesprit            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Marowak-Alola      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Porygon2           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Cresselia          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Conkeldurr         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Scolipede          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Necrozma           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Krookodile         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Chansey            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Umbreon            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Quagsire           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
Overall Stats

Code:
| 1    | Cobalion           |   27 |  45.00% |  62.96% |
| 2    | Salamence          |   23 |  38.33% |  39.13% |
| 3    | Hydreigon          |   15 |  25.00% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Amoonguss          |   14 |  23.33% |  64.29% |
| 5    | Primarina          |   13 |  21.67% |  53.85% |
| 5    | Scizor             |   13 |  21.67% |  30.77% |
| 7    | Tangrowth          |   12 |  20.00% |  58.33% |
| 7    | Diggersby          |   12 |  20.00% |  41.67% |
| 9    | Nihilego           |   11 |  18.33% |  54.55% |
| 10   | Excadrill          |   10 |  16.67% |  80.00% |
| 10   | Celesteela         |   10 |  16.67% |  60.00% |
| 10   | Chansey            |   10 |  16.67% |  40.00% |
| 13   | Gyarados           |    9 |  15.00% |  55.56% |
| 13   | Slowking           |    9 |  15.00% |  33.33% |
| 15   | Rotom-Wash         |    8 |  13.33% |  87.50% |
| 15   | Azelf              |    8 |  13.33% |  75.00% |
| 15   | Thundurus-Therian  |    8 |  13.33% |  37.50% |
| 15   | Zygarde-10%        |    8 |  13.33% |  37.50% |
| 15   | Skarmory           |    8 |  13.33% |  25.00% |
| 20   | Necrozma           |    7 |  11.67% |  42.86% |
| 20   | Zarude-Dada        |    7 |  11.67% |  42.86% |
| 22   | Slowbro-Galar      |    6 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 22   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    6 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 24   | Nidoqueen          |    5 |   8.33% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Togekiss           |    5 |   8.33% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Crobat             |    5 |   8.33% |  40.00% |
| 24   | Dhelmise           |    5 |   8.33% |  20.00% |
| 28   | Conkeldurr         |    4 |   6.67% |  75.00% |
| 28   | Mamoswine          |    4 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 28   | Jirachi            |    4 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 28   | Reuniclus          |    4 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 28   | Hippowdon          |    4 |   6.67% |  25.00% |
| 33   | Seismitoad         |    3 |   5.00% |  66.67% |
| 33   | Hatterene          |    3 |   5.00% |  66.67% |
| 33   | Keldeo             |    3 |   5.00% |  66.67% |
| 33   | Krookodile         |    3 |   5.00% |  33.33% |
| 33   | Quagsire           |    3 |   5.00% |  33.33% |
| 33   | Azumarill          |    3 |   5.00% |  33.33% |
| 33   | Tapu Bulu          |    3 |   5.00% |  33.33% |
| 40   | Rhyperior          |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 40   | Scolipede          |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 40   | Chandelure         |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 40   | Polteageist        |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 40   | Weezing-Galar      |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 40   | Umbreon            |    2 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Swampert           |    2 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Suicune            |    2 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Starmie            |    2 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Golisopod          |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Toxtricity         |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Mandibuzz          |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Cloyster           |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Vanilluxe          |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Moltres            |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Mantine            |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Raikou             |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Golurk             |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 49   | Politoed           |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Tornadus           |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Kingdra            |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Mesprit            |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Marowak-Alola      |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Porygon2           |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Cresselia          |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Torkoal            |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Darmanitan         |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Venusaur           |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Heracross          |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Froslass           |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Centiskorch        |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Gastrodon          |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Salazzle           |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Xurkitree          |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Haxorus            |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |

Dead thread gg. A bit disappointing the excitement for SCL died like Week 4 and there's like 4 consistent posters in here only, but I sorta expected this. There's only so much you can care about a tour you don't have stakes in. Still, it's been fun keeping up and seeing new trends in building and even trying them out on the ladder in my spare time.

Most of the stuff used this week has been standard but we've still seen some cool mons and sets being used as well.
put in overtime in Lily's game vs Poek, actually underspeeding Alolan Marowak under Trick Room and neutralizing it while also being a deadly revenge killer with First Impression. This Pokemon has been gaining traction in the UU community lately as a solid spiker that is quite tough to switch into, so a use in an official tour between two top players is cool to showcase Golisopod's merits.
was another underrated threat used in watashi vs pif, matching up well into the slower archetypes pif uses, especially with a mixed shift gear set that beats chansey. A lot of players see this as just a worse thundurus which is not true at all as its overwhelming power facing common balance teams and useful defensive typing vs cobalion prove that Toxtricity still has a useful and underutilized niche in UU right now. Lastly, Choice Scarf
aka ragzelf was very useful in KSt3ve's game vs bb skarm, denying Scolipede the ability to do anything other than set one spike as well as revenge killing his hyper offense sweepers like dragon dance salamence as well as a +2 Necrozma. Cool to see a considered suboptimal or niche set on Azelf since it is already naturally fast put in work and save the game.

Predicts time- currently 16/25. Not the best but its positive so I'll take it.

[ISL] pdt vs KSt3ve [DYN]- pdt is tied for the best record rn and has been dominant throughout the entire tour with cool teams. Steve did well making the best out of scarf azelf in his match last week and if prep goes well can potentially win but pdt is a tough opponent.
[SHO] crying vs Santu [GIB]- no idea who to bold. crying made it far in slam and idt I've seen Santu play cg UU. I'm ngl I really don't know what to say so bolding randomly.
[TMS] pokemonisfun vs Lily [SPA]- think Lily is the underdog here and could def pull a win vs pif, I wasn't a fan of the last game for 2 reasons. One is using synchronize Umbreon because you really open yourself to Gyarados too much, I get the reasoning for it and I'm sounding a lot like estarossa right now but with ice fang existing for Gyarados while taunt being viable for Skarmory, Umbreon is like the best counter around since Mandi is a shitmon so might as well use it to actually beat the Pokemon you mean to check when putting it on stall. Other issue was loading stall in the first place which everyone will prep when facing pif for as seen by the shift gear toxtricity. Those were just my thoughts I don't intend to come off as overly critical and sorry if it seems that way. Idk I've got a gut feeling that Lily can pull off a win and take advantage of pif's usual stuff although he is still a great player and can def mix it up as seen with the hyper offense week 4. Highlight matchup for me as seen by me writing a lot.
[PLA] TDK vs watashi [FOX]- yeah. watashi beat pif though pif loading stall wasn't the best move since everyone will prep for it facing him, still could win but hard to bold against TDK.
[BRE] LNumbers vs Lyss [TER]- Lyss has been on a downturn these last 3 weeks into a 3-3 record so idk how her motivation is doing but she's still more in tune with the meta than clark from what I've seen so bolding her.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
My week 6 game (5th game overall, I was subbed out week 5) vs watashi: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-654749

As usual, I will try to go over this live Tuesday or Wednesday. Another shorter game so I will try to go through each and every turn.

MU and lead

View attachment 459178

I have to say, I was extremely pleased with the MU as I have fairly solid counters to most of my opponent's HO. I had EQ on AV Tangrowth for Toxtricity and nearly max Defense Umbreon fo Gyarados, which were probably Watashi's best bets to break my team. There are a few HO mainstays that break stall better which Watashi didn't use - NP Azelf in particular and NP Thundurus are scary but didn't show up, luckily for me. For the 5th time out of 5 games this tournament, I felt very happy with the MU and was quite confident going into this. I end up choosing to lead with Celesteela. I figured he wants to get Rocks like usual and although Tangrowth made sense, I didn't want to reveal EQ or PowerWhip miss chance. Umbreon might have been a good option too in retrospect to just sit vs his whole team. I'd Foul Play on the SR, then scout his turn 2 with Wish. I regret not doing this in retrospect beause Umbreon is harder for him to set up on than Celesteela - Cele invites Gyara and Toxtr, Umbreon doesn't.

Turn 1 - hurting exca is pretty freaking obvious in as he is most likely getting rocks. for beginners: why would he rocks when I can obviously defog with mence? many reasons, but exca's only real purpose in this MU is to keep rocks up 100% (and rocks off his own side) even at the cost of it's life, this puts things like Umbreon in 2HKO range of Gyarados

Turn 2 - leech was supposed to catch toxtricity or gyara -in retrospect I do regret this a bit, it seems unlikely he would risk even minor chip on his main win conditions

Turn 3 - example of opponent doubling- I couldn't protect here because I don't have it! Which is unusual for a Celesteela. I don't think Watashi knew this. I'm going to credit his play here, often times when there is a "safe" protect to scout something, you often shouldn't use it anyways. Why? Because the next turn, the double switch becomes painfully easy for the opponent. I think watashi was thinking about this, protect yields me minimal benefit since I don't need chip on steela, so they kind of know the logic in green above, so they knew I was switching out. Anyways, obviously this is all predictions and not foolproof, but if there is a logical explanation for flcl's play, this is it

Turn 4 - close combat is painfully obvious since my main switch in is quagsire, i go mence here, i figure i don't need it for anything tbh, as my celesteela can always trade itself for opposing scizor

Turn 5 - tang to cover a rock move, easily at -1 attack

Turn 6 - how did i know to knock here? well, normally, HO players don't often preserve their suicide lead. the main exception is vs slow fat stall teams like mine. i also realized from turn 2, celesteela wasn't valued much by my opponent, so i figured they might switch to it here. opponent keeping exca alive is fairly important to keep rocks off for him / on my side

Turn 7 - trying to catch a double but more importantly, umbreon doesn't take net SR damage unlike chansey because of leftovers. w/o meteor beam (no herb), steela cant hurt me too much

Turn 8 - no reason not to protect, he has no Umbreon counter anyways, lycanroc is the strongest thing he has to weaken umbreon so he's not switching out to abuse the protect

Turn 9 - why not mence here? well, I already risked it once plus quags is much safer

Turn 10 - obviously heal

Turn 11 - umbreon is a counter to gyarados here so I go to it. Foul Play has a good shot to KO after a dd boost. Why not inner focus umbreon? well, synchronize was important to keep rocks off in the hippo match up, as I figured I could bait hippo to toxic itself eventually.

Turn 12 and 13 - obviously I need to foul play, especially as it has a chance to KO. I could also cycle between wish and protect until he dds twice, then foul play 100% KOs, but then I basically just lose to a flinch because gyara will be at +3 instead of +2 attack after killing umbreon, plus, fp has a 50% shot to KO a standard gyara anyways at +1

Turn 14/15 - I feel this is a critical error from me although it didn't end up mattering much. I probably should have went celesteela to kill the gyara instead of tang. Why? Well my AV EQ tangrowth is the only thing stopping Toxtricity from sweeping (these run shift gear drain punch). I still have mence and quags for scizor so I don't think I need Celesteela as much. Honestly, I don't know why I did this, except maybe I thought Tangrowth was slightly less prone to hax (ice fang freeze/flinch chance is less than waterfall flinch chance because the miss chance + thaw chance + independent event (.9*.9=81% chance to not get flinched nor frozen not factoring in miss/thaw). Still, Toxtricity is a big enough threat and these odds are small enough in difference I think celesteela was better

Turn 16-20 - I cant let gyara get to +3 or else it sweeps even celesteela and I lose bar pwhip miss on quags, hence the mence and quag dance here. still this is pretty awful. i make some super basic predictions and my opponent obliges - why? well at this point, after umbreon died, my position is pretty terrible and he doesn't feel like he needs to predict to win anymore, he pretty much wants to rely on toxtricity and if it ends up killing or mauling chansey, celesteela can also sweep

t21/22 - regen so I have a shot against toxtricity, it kos tang from here without regen

t23 - i hope for a shift gear here but boomburst is a perfectly fine play here for opponent, not just to catch tangrowth but even if chansey stayed in, i think he'd still be able to beat it later since i'm weakened. basically at this moment i lose the game - everything else from here is just execution. i suppose i could have bluffed draco or eq on mence on turn 25 for example, but after missing that last opportunity, i really am just dead in the water. The rest of the game is just opponent cleaning up

Conclusion -

To be blunt, I almost cried after this game. I was extremely sad. There are a few things to keep in mind from it, I probably should have led Umbreon, I had a chance to bluff at the end, and overall I wish I used Umbreon a bit more and didn't let him get some good turns like turn 3. This game is pretty depressing honestly, hopefully I will be able to keep my emotions a bit better in check win or lose in the future. Thanks as usual for the support.
do not cry! You are doing great. You are my best friend, my pal, my homeboy, my rotten soldier, my sweet cheese, my good time boy.

you will win!

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
[SHO] crying vs Santu [GIB] - if Santu is given a viable team he should have a better chance of winning, crying has more creative and interesting builds and can pilot a favorable matchup to victory. Assuming even matchup, Santu will win. In order for crying to win, I think she needs to be more aggressive in-game and punish Santu's playmaking ability.

[TMS] pokemonisfun vs Lily [SPA] - this one is more a toss-up than it seems at face value. Lily's play and building has improved vastly over the past year, and I don't think she is getting enough credit for that. In my opinion, pif is a more difficult opponent to face for me personally, so I favor pif in the playing category even though they are both very strong in preparation. I think in order for Lily to win this game she needs to bring a team that will throw off one of the most experienced uu players, and she needs to pilot that team without getting too aggressive or taking unnecessary risks, which is easier said than done. With that said, this is probably the game this week to which I'm most looking forward.

[PLA] TDK vs watashi [FOX] - TDK is inarguably in the top portion of the pool so far, he has shown a greater level of playing and aggressiveness that is hard to achieve during an official tournament, but I think he needs to refine some of his builds a bit. I will acknowledge that a lot of his matchups have been even/playable, but I'd argue in some of his games where his matchup has been not that great, it was due to playing ability that he was able to win (one example of this happening is his game vs. Fakee). watashi played well last week and has good, as well as unpredictable, support, but I think it will come down to whether watashi draws a favorable matchup and/or how comfortable he is playing those different matchups with the team that he is given.

[BRE] LNumbers vs Lyss [TER] - I think that Lyss needs to be less careful in her games, which may not make sense at first, but she tends to be very calculated and careful when she plays her games, which leads to losses such as the game vs. Poek. To be completely honest, I have not been a fan of the builds that clark has been using, but he is still a solid player and can pull out this matchup. I think Lyss' builds have been more appealing to me and I rate them around equally in terms of playing ability.

Last edited:

Lily

UU Leader
2/4 last week, 16/24 overall

[ISL] pdt vs KSt3ve [DYN] - i am kinda rooting for steve tbh but it's impossible for me to bold him against an increasingly dominant pdt. until pdt gives reason to bold against him i don't see myself doing that again. good job to steve for beating skarm last week tho that game was an absolute shitshow and tbh it never should've been that close considering he had scarf azelf against ho.

[SHO] crying vs Santu [GIB] - santu's my dude and i think he's gonna do great if he's given good teams, tho considering his teammates brought 252 def cobalion last week i'm not sure if that'll happen. to be honest i'm pretty surprised skarm is benched, his games have been shaky for sure but 3-3 is not a bad record. still tho i favour santu over crying since there's no uu support on the shoguns and while crying can and does build for herself, she tends to end up with concerning skill swap stakataka stalls which tend to flop i think. still should be a fun one

[PLA] TDK vs watashi [FOX] - unexpected jerk matchup! watashi did beat pif last week altho he needed (? it's a bit hard to say how the game would have gone otherwise) some luck to do so in a very unfavourable matchup. tbh i am concerned about the decision by the foxes to use that kind of lead drill ho vs pif in general given stall is def something in his repertoire. use spikes or something! tdk did defeat lyss in what looked like a very clean game last week. HOWEVER, he DID just lose to watashi's zacian crowned in draft league finals. this may either kill his motivation or drive it further. excited to see how this plays out

[BRE] LNumbers vs Lyss [TER] - reina has been struggling a fair bit but clark has been struggling harder. at the very least i trust reina to bring a better team than clark assuming she stops using dhelmise and i'm not sure if there'll be enough of a gap in play for clark to make up the deficit.

Week 7

Code:
| 1    | Scizor             |    5 |  50.00% |  80.00% |
| 2    | Nihilego           |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Hippowdon          |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Excadrill          |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 2    | Azelf              |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 2    | Amoonguss          |    4 |  40.00% |   0.00% |
| 7    | Rotom-Wash         |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 8    | Milotic            |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Thundurus-Therian  |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Tangrowth          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Keldeo             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Mandibuzz          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Cobalion           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Diggersby          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Skarmory           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Zygarde-10%        |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Mamoswine          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Necrozma           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Regieleki          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Sylveon            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Primarina          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Zarude             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Reuniclus          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Conkeldurr         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Salamence          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Ditto              |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Noivern            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Celesteela         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Slowking           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Hydreigon          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Chansey            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Togekiss           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
Overall Usage

Code:
| 1    | Cobalion           |   29 |  41.43% |  62.07% |
| 2    | Salamence          |   24 |  34.29% |  41.67% |
| 3    | Amoonguss          |   18 |  25.71% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Scizor             |   18 |  25.71% |  44.44% |
| 5    | Hydreigon          |   16 |  22.86% |  62.50% |
| 6    | Nihilego           |   15 |  21.43% |  53.33% |
| 7    | Excadrill          |   14 |  20.00% |  64.29% |
| 7    | Tangrowth          |   14 |  20.00% |  57.14% |
| 7    | Primarina          |   14 |  20.00% |  57.14% |
| 7    | Diggersby          |   14 |  20.00% |  35.71% |
| 11   | Azelf              |   12 |  17.14% |  58.33% |
| 12   | Rotom-Wash         |   11 |  15.71% |  72.73% |
| 12   | Celesteela         |   11 |  15.71% |  54.55% |
| 12   | Chansey            |   11 |  15.71% |  36.36% |
| 15   | Thundurus-Therian  |   10 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 15   | Slowking           |   10 |  14.29% |  30.00% |
| 17   | Gyarados           |    9 |  12.86% |  55.56% |
| 17   | Zygarde-10%        |    9 |  12.86% |  44.44% |
| 17   | Skarmory           |    9 |  12.86% |  33.33% |
| 20   | Necrozma           |    8 |  11.43% |  50.00% |
| 20   | Hippowdon          |    8 |  11.43% |  37.50% |
| 22   | Togekiss           |    6 |   8.57% |  83.33% |
| 22   | Slowbro-Galar      |    6 |   8.57% |  50.00% |
| 22   | Lycanroc-Dusk      |    6 |   8.57% |  50.00% |
| 25   | Nidoqueen          |    5 |   7.14% | 100.00% |
| 25   | Conkeldurr         |    5 |   7.14% |  80.00% |
| 25   | Keldeo             |    5 |   7.14% |  60.00% |
| 25   | Mamoswine          |    5 |   7.14% |  60.00% |
| 25   | Reuniclus          |    5 |   7.14% |  60.00% |
| 25   | Zarude             |    5 |   7.14% |  40.00% |
| 25   | Crobat             |    5 |   7.14% |  40.00% |
| 25   | Dhelmise           |    5 |   7.14% |  20.00% |
| 33   | Jirachi            |    4 |   5.71% |  50.00% |
| 34   | Mandibuzz          |    3 |   4.29% |  66.67% |
| 34   | Seismitoad         |    3 |   4.29% |  66.67% |
| 34   | Zarude-Dada        |    3 |   4.29% |  66.67% |
| 34   | Hatterene          |    3 |   4.29% |  66.67% |
| 34   | Krookodile         |    3 |   4.29% |  33.33% |
| 34   | Quagsire           |    3 |   4.29% |  33.33% |
| 34   | Azumarill          |    3 |   4.29% |  33.33% |
| 34   | Tapu Bulu          |    3 |   4.29% |  33.33% |
| 42   | Milotic            |    2 |   2.86% | 100.00% |
| 42   | Rhyperior          |    2 |   2.86% |  50.00% |
| 42   | Scolipede          |    2 |   2.86% |  50.00% |
| 42   | Chandelure         |    2 |   2.86% |  50.00% |
| 42   | Polteageist        |    2 |   2.86% |  50.00% |
| 42   | Weezing-Galar      |    2 |   2.86% |  50.00% |
| 42   | Umbreon            |    2 |   2.86% |   0.00% |
| 42   | Swampert           |    2 |   2.86% |   0.00% |
| 42   | Suicune            |    2 |   2.86% |   0.00% |
| 42   | Starmie            |    2 |   2.86% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Regieleki          |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Sylveon            |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Golisopod          |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Toxtricity         |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Cloyster           |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Vanilluxe          |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Moltres            |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Mantine            |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Raikou             |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Golurk             |    1 |   1.43% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Ditto              |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Noivern            |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Politoed           |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Tornadus           |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Kingdra            |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Mesprit            |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Marowak-Alola      |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Porygon2           |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Cresselia          |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Torkoal            |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Darmanitan         |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Venusaur           |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Heracross          |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Froslass           |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Centiskorch        |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Gastrodon          |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Salazzle           |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Xurkitree          |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Haxorus            |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 52   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |   1.43% |   0.00% |

This has been a pretty weird week in terms of usage. Hippowdon skyrocketed this week and Scizor got way more usage than it should have while typical top stuff like Cobalion, Hydreigon, and Salamence got a lot less usage this week. We also saw a lot of non standard Pokemon and sets being used; one that pops out is
. In pdt vs KSt3ve we saw a more offensive variation using Competitive as the ability on a Spikes team to punish Defog attempts from Salamence, having instant recovery in Recover to distinguish itself from Primarina and affording to run Heavy-Duty Boots while using its raw bulk to take hits from Pokemon like Azelf and Amoonguss even and spread burns. Meanwhile, in pif vs Lily, a more defensive set with what I presume to be Marvel Scale was used, being able to absorb Stun Spore from Amoonguss, cripple Celesteela and the aforementioned Amoonguss with Scald, and scout Keldeo's attacks and take hits from Diggersby with its solid defense. Another neat set that was used was Calm Mind + Rest + Snore
, used by watashi in watashi vs TDK, where it pretty much won from preview. This set is outright demonic without a Tangrowth and can really shit on teams relying on Chansey or Amoonguss to face Primarina as well as special attackers that need to deny it Calm Mind boosts like Nihilego and Thundurus. Swords Dance + Bug Bite
is a cool set that is being used more, appearing in pdt vs KSt3ve as well as UU swiss finals. People are beginning to give up on super bulky do nothing Scizor sets and use more offensive variations with SD + BP + Roost and Bug Bite or Dual Wingbeat (idk if the 4th was roost by pdt it could've been another attack). It's a set I've been interested in trying out myself. Other uncommon and cracked sets used include Nasty Plot + Stored Power Rotom-W, Toxic Scizor, Curse Hippowdon, AV Slowking, and Toxic Reuniclus. It's cool to see all the innovation even if some sets don't end up working out in-game.

Onto the predicts, currently 17/30.

[FOX] watashi vs LNumbers [BRE]- I liked the team clark brought today a lot but watashi has beaten two of the top players in the pool right now and lean towards him based on that as clark is only beginning to make a comeback.
[TER] Meru vs pdt [ISL]- I'm surprised Meru hasn't been put in earlier to give Lyss a break but now Meru is up against current best record pdt. Although Meru is a good player I think the Islanders have much stronger UU support and playing than the terrors so I favor pdt here.
[SPA] Lily vs TDK [PLA]- TDK suffered the unfortunate fate of facing CM + Snore Primarina without a Tangrowth last week but is still considered top 3 in the pool right now. Rooting for Lily but hard to bold against TDK with the record disparities.
[GIB] Santu vs pokemonisfun [TMS]- pif brought 4 unviable Pokemon (regieleki, milotic, sylveon, and scizor) and won so that's super impressive right there. He seems to have collected himself back after Week 6 so I see him taking this with his greater familiarity in the tier. Free hariyana though that would've been a fun match to see.
[DYN] KSt3ve vs crying [SHO]- crying brought some insane crack last week and I honestly do not know how to react to that so I will be bolding Steve this week, think this is the first time I did in this tour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)