Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I did tests on Koraidon's Attack boost from Orchalcum Pulse!

My methodology was as follows: I saved in front of a level 53 Veluza (A Psychic / Water) that had a Defense stat of 86. My Koraidon (Fighting / Dragon) had an Attack stat of 209 at level 68. I would use Collision Course (a 100 BP Fighting move), then capture the Veluza and see how much HP it had lost. Here are the raw results below

The range from these 15 tests was 120 HP at the lowest, to 138 HP at the most

This seems sorta close to a 1.3x Attack boost to me?
At the very least, it certainly does NOT match 1.5x, its lower than that!

So someone mentioned earlier that Battle Bond can only activate once per battle. However, just to make sure, do we know whether the boost are retained when switching Greninja out after Battle Bond has activiated and back in? I doubt they are, but I wanna check.

Do we know by what percent Sharpness raises the power of cutting moves?

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Protosynthesis Mechanics Testing Results

- To figure out what kind of boost Protosynthesis gave, I tested in a double battle with a Koraidon and a Scream Tail. The Scream Tail had 147 Speed, and the Koraidon had either 219 Speed or 221 Speed depending on what I was testing. Scream Tail was able to outspeed the 219 Sped Koraidon after the Protosynthesis boost, but not the 221 Speed Koraidon. This suggests to me that Protosynthesis boosts a given stat by 1.5!

- I tested which stat Protosynthesis would boost on a Scream Tail that had an identical Speed and SpD stat. Special Defense was boosted every time, which appears akin to how Beast Boost works.

- The Protosynthesis boost, while announced in the ability activation (so the game mentions that Scream Tail got a Speed boost), appears to be "invisible". That is, it doesn't got as a stage boost on the Pokemon status screen. So I think it avoids stage boosts all together.

- Regardless, the boost disappears upon switching the Pokemon out. I tested this by seeing of the Scream Tail could outspeed my Cyclizar again after it switched back in, and it could no longer do so. Note that I used a booster energy to get the boost here, if the sun was up it would have gotten the boost again.

-
If Protosynthesis is activated via the sun, the sun needs to stay in effect for it to keep working. When I set up Rain Dance, I got a message saying "the effects of Protosynthesis have worn off..."

- This is already pretty well known, but I figure its worth repeating here: Booster Energy is a 1-use, consumable item. So if you switch out the mon, you are not getting that Protosynthesis boost back without some sun!

- Protosynthesis activated by Booster Energy can NOT be gotten rid up by weather changes. It stays until the Pokemon switches out. Weather is basically no longer a factor once booster energy kicks in.

-Speaking of sun: I sent out a Koraidon and Scream Tail with Booster Energy out in a double battle. Protosynthesis activated via the sun, and the booster energy was NOT consumed. You don't get a double boost, and you don't lose your booster energy!

- If a sun activated Protosynthesis wears off, booster energy will be immediately consumed to bring the boost back!

Last edited:

- Regardless, the boost disappears upon switching the Pokemon out. I tested this by seeing of the Scream Tail could outspeed my Cyclizar again after it switched back in, and it could no longer do so.
Can I get clarity on this one?
Is it a one time boost period? That is switching out & back in means even if conditions are met, it will not happen again?
Or did you just mean switching out, then back in while Sun is not out caused it to not happen.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Does the boost end when Sun ends or does it last until you switch out? I know other Weather/Terrain Based Abilities only work when the Weather/Terrain is active, but other Weather/Terrain Based Abilities don't have activation messages. (other than healing damage every turn)

Does changing your Type by Terastallizing to or from Rock affect your Special Defense in Sandstorm and if you take damage? (Same for Ice affecting your Defense in Snow)
Does Terastallizing to or from Grass affect Powder Moves? Does Terastallizing to or from Flying affect if you're affected by Spikes and Arena Trap?
Ect. with other Types immune to certain things.

I'm mostly wondering if you keep those kinds of advantages if changing your immunity to stuff because it would be a downside to Teralizing if you lost a Spore or Spikes Immunity.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
- I tested which stat Protosynthesis would boost on a Scream Tail that had an identical Speed and SpD stat. Special Defense was boosted every time, which appears akin to how Beast Boost works.
For anyone out there with access to hacking: does Beast Boost work like this too, or is it still a +1?

Theorymon

Can I get clarity on this one?
Is it a one time boost period? That is switching out & back in means even if conditions are met, it will not happen again?
Or did you just mean switching out, then back in while Sun is not out caused it to not happen.
Sorry about that, that as bad wording on my part. I used a booster energy to get that boost, not the sun. I have edited the wording to reflect that better.

Does the boost end when Sun ends or does it last until you switch out? I know other Weather/Terrain Based Abilities only work when the Weather/Terrain is active, but other Weather/Terrain Based Abilities don't have activation messages. (other than healing damage every turn)
Just tested this. It turns out, sun activated Protosynthesis wears off the MOMENT the sun goes away. You even get a special message akin to "the effects of Protosynthesis have worn off...".

To add to this, the booster energy will be consumed the MOMENT sun activated protosynthesis wears off, so the boost comes back.

Booster Energy activated Protosynthesis on the other hand, is not impacted by weather changes at all.

I've added this to the OG post as well. I'm glad you and Jibaku made me test that, I didn't expect for the two different activations of Protosynthesis to work differently!

Last edited:
Since we're in the hacking phase of this, I suppose it's worth asking about abilities for Pokemon that aren't actually available right now.

We know from the ability search function that every ability is viewable with description, but how many of these are actually implemented?
This extends from more obvious suspects (Primordial Sea, Desolate Land, Delta Stream, Neuroforce, various other mega-only abilities etc) to less obvious (Motor Drive, as an example )

Some Revival Blessing interactions i want to know about:

• Magic Guard / Rock Head: Do they block the hp removal part of the move?
  • Emergency Exit: Does it manage to revive the mon before switching out? Is one able to go inmediately to the dead mon upon switching in?
  • PP: Does reviving a mon give it any pp?

Reactions: R8
Is Close Combat now boosted by Iron Fist? Is Headlong Rush also really boosted by that ability now? Only mons still in the game ATM that gets the ability are Crabominable and Pawmot. Try hacking those moves onto them and see the results.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Tablets of Ruin is an "aura" that reduces Attack of everyone except the user, while Vessel of Ruin reduces Sp. Atk instead. How do they interact with Mold Breaker?

On the topic of the Dark Quartet Legendaries that's how I call them, how much do their "auras" reduce the stats of the rest of the Pokémon on the field? (0.??x)

I did tests on Koraidon's Attack boost from Orchalcum Pulse!

My methodology was as follows: I saved in front of a level 53 Veluza (A Psychic / Water) that had a Defense stat of 86. My Koraidon (Fighting / Dragon) had an Attack stat of 209 at level 68. I would use Collision Course (a 100 BP Fighting move), then capture the Veluza and see how much HP it had lost. Here are the raw results below

The range from these 15 tests was 120 HP at the lowest, to 138 HP at the most

This seems sorta close to a 1.3x Attack boost to me?
At the very least, it certainly does NOT match 1.5x, its lower than that!
I made the calc (see screenshot) and got 90-106.
So yeah that would be about 30%.

Attachments

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Gigaton Hammer leaves the user struggling on the 2nd turn if Encored in to the move, but is able to use the move normally again on the 3rd turn, but struggling again after that etc.

Good as Gold blocks Life Dew, Defog, and Perish Song (only from itself) but doesn't block Haze, will edit in more if I get access to other notable stuff, but most standard targeted status moves, like Encore, Entrainment, Helping Hand, and Role Play for example, seems to be blocked. Mold Breaker bypasses it normally.

Mortal Spin also spins away hazards beside the binding moves outlined in its description and targets both opponents in a double battle.

Toxic Debris is triggered on physical moves, stacks up the regular 2 layers of tspikes, and if hit by a teammate in a double battle it still sends the tspikes to the opposing side.

Rage Fist seems to boost power by 50 BP per hit, triggering on each multi-hit move as well (5 hits=300 BP). No idea if this caps out, I don't think I have anything strong enough to tank that powerful hits. Confusion self-damage also seems to count as a hit. Switching out and fainting does not reset the boost.

Glaive Rush's effects does not persist to the next pokemon if the user switches out.

Last edited:
Two small things about Battle Bond:
  • Since Battle Bond is no longer a form changing ability, can it be copied by an opposing Pokémon?
  • Since Ash-Greninja doesn't exist, does triggering Battle Bond still modify Water Shuriken to hit only 3 times with increased BP?

Do we know if any of the Dexited moves have the Cut Move or Wind Move flag added? I'm mostly asking since moves in Gen VIII seemed to have their flagged checked off even for impossible interactions due to one or both moves not being usable. Or have they finally stopped doing that?

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Now that Pokémon have unique sizes, do they also come with enough of a Weight difference to affect the damage they can take from Low Kick and deal with Heavy Slam?
If the Ruin abilities work like Auras, do they stack? Just how big is the defense reduction if 2 Chien-Pao are in the field?
Does Rage Fist power-up if the user is behind a substitute?

EDIT: Also, this is only semi-battle related, but can Gimmighoul’s (currently unobtainable I think) roaming form evolve and get boosted by Eviolite? Asking for Little Cup legality reasons.
The game data says yes.
Gimmighoul-1 - 45/30/25/75/45/80 (Total: 300) - Ghost/Ghost - Run Away/Run Away/Run Away
Evolutions:
Level: 0
Condition: UNKNOWN_54
Parameters: [999, 0, 0, 0]
Species: Gholdengo
Form: 0

Source? I haven’t seen anyone confirm this yet; did you test it yourself?

EDIT: Also, this is only semi-battle related, but can Gimmighoul’s (currently unobtainable I think) roaming form evolve and get boosted by Eviolite? Asking for Little Cup legality reasons.
Who, me? No sir, I don't want no trouble.
Nintendo Ninjas.jpg

I was just watching it, but basically, the method behind it was getting two Wild Gallade, both at Lv. 35, with Atk stats of 104 and 108 respectively iirc.
Then, the player pulled up on a Cetoddle, hit it with Aqua Cutter, ran, put the other Gallade on the lead, and attacked the same Cetoddle.

The result was a 50ish% difference on the Sharpness Gallade. I assume we can't post screenshots tho.

It sounds consistent with that Fillet Away example posted earlier too. (Even though it's kinda surprising it didn't boost to +3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)