AAA Almost Any Ability

Supreme Overlord should be banned. It makes Houndstone way more OP than it is. It also makes any other mon OP.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Supreme Overlord should be banned. It makes Houndstone way more OP than it is. It also makes any other mon OP.
This is honestly a huge surprise to me. Even with a Choice Scarf, Houndstone is still underwhelmingly slow, let alone the fact that a CB set sounds like it just gets rolled by all the fast offense in the tier at the moment. I think the drawback of needing at least a couple of your Pokemon to be fainted to have real power keeps it manageable right now, especially with Fur Coat available as an ability, but I'm interested in seeing what other people's experiences using/against Supreme Overlord are.

Last edited:

LordBox

you should love yourself... NOW!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This is honestly a huge surprise to me. Even with a Choice Scarf, Houndstone is still underwhelmingly slow, let alone the fact that a CB set sounds like it just gets rolled by all the fast offense in the tier at the moment. I think the drawback of needing at least a couple of your Pokemon to be fainted to have real power keeps it manageable right now, especially with Fur Coat available as an ability, but I'm interested in seeing what other people's experiences using/against Supreme Overlord are.
Imo Houndstone is pretty bad and not particularly useful. Even with a scarf, like mentioned, its still slower than the likes of Fluttemane, Iron Bundle, Pult and Chien-Pao and can die to Tera Dragonite ESpeed given a bit of chip or similarly to Cereludge Shadow Sneak with any form of boosting move. Even removing faster threats, it kind of gets sat on by Fur Coat Avalugg (+1 252 Atk Giratina Poltergeist vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Avalugg: 142-168 (36 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO) and defensive Ting-Lu ( +1 252 Atk Giratina Poltergeist vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Abomasnow: 183-216 (35.6 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO) even with max boosts, although can break through. Scarf is almost basically mandatory on it as well as otherwise you're outsped by everything so you can't run Band to break through these more easily. In all fairness I've only really encountered Houndstone on more lower ladder teams without any real plan except to just spam their broken shit and hope Houndstone goes ham but hey maybe it could be broken on a team designed around taking out its counters, but I doubt it'd go too far except on like a HO team.

In terms of Supreme Overlord in general, is there a way to actually tell if someone is using Supreme Overlord other than calcing damage because I can't really tell otherwise. I'd imagine that it isn't that worth it with the many offensive boosting abilities currently flying around in the meta and needing half your team dead to get a boost on-par with is quite limiting as an offensive mon. That being said it might have some usage on HO teams to work as a final cleaner, which might be a neat idea to test, but otherwise I don't think its been particularly overbearing yet and I haven't been reverse sweeped by a Supreme Overlord yet.

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
Houndstone seems like it'll have a niche if it can effectively use stuff like surge surfer to boost its speed on electric spam teams, though that'd be taking surge surfer away from another worthy mon.

LordBox

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
After some testing, I've come back to dump some funny sets that could potentially have some usage and have mostly been ripped off others

Armarouge @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Expanding Force
- Armor Cannon
- Trick
- Destiny Bond

Essentially, just offbrand Choice Scarf Azelf from the last gen. It finds usage as a scarfer with its high power moves able to let it outspeed and kill the likes of Fluttermane with some chip and Iron Bundle but really the main reason this set is used is to stuff Dragonite, that Aerilate ESpeed is just too damn overpowered and also stuffs other threatening priority like Triage abusers or Shadow Sneaks from Cereludge. Trick allows it to cuck defensive mons like Avalugg and such against bulkier stall or balance teams that it might not find as much use against. Granted this doesn't have much power and even with a Scarf can be outsped by things like Pult, but it does some nice things (mainly just stuffing up annoing Priority) which could be worth using.

Annihilape @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rage Fist
- Drain Punch
- Protect

Credit all goes to Isaiah for showing me the light and honestly, this is kinda busted. PHeal + Protect allows it to stick around while this combined with max bulk investment + Bulk Up makes this set annoyingly bulky while also very threatening with jacked up Rage Fists tearing through everything. It can sit on bulky mons like Ting-Lu if it lacks Whirlwind and Avalugg and even faster offensive mons don't like having to deal with this Annihilape as it can easily tank a powerful hit and then just hit back like a truck and kill it in return. The few ones that could kill it normally can get lured and baited with Tera into Water allowing the Monkey to tank a single hit from Fluttermane (252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Clawitzer Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Abomasnow: 208-247 (49 - 58.2%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO) and soak up Tera Water Iron Bundle Hydro Pump (252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Clawitzer Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Abomasnow in Heavy Rain: 202-238 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO) while anything less absurd than these like DLand non-Specs Iron Moth will just get soaked and the Ape will kill in return. Overall, pretty busted with both its bulk and capacity to fuck shit up with its absurd Rage Fists + Bulk Up.

Flutter Mane @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Hadron Engine
Tera Type: Ghost / Fairy
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind / Taunt / Mystical Fire

Credit all goes to Sandchan for showing me this set. A slight deviation on the usual Fluttermane sets, now with the ability to absolutely fuck up IceScales Corv. The most common answer to Fluttermane so far is definitely IceScales Corv, which while with some good play can be worn down and played around, can at the worst still annoy and block Flutter for quite a bit. This set essentially trades Lorb recoil for the ability to kill Corv fairly reliably, Hadron engine gives a similar boost to what Sheer Force usually would while also jacking up TBolt to the point where it can reliably 2HKO Corv with some chip or SR (252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Clawitzer Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ice Scales Corviknight in Electric Terrain: 177-209 (44.2 - 52.2%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery). Being able to break through Corv is no joke against some teams as many rely on Corv as their main Flutter check and being able to break through Corv without too much effort I found in testing to be pretty devastating. Granted, it does give up both a moveslot for TBolt and also forces Lorb recoil onto Flutter, but for those who already put TBolt/Mystical Fire on their Flutters to help against its checks, it doesn't matter much and Lorb recoil generally isn't too important although can be annoying at some times. I've even tried just using Choice Specs to get rid of the recoil and just cleanly 2HKO Corv and can be quite surprising, although does lose some of its performance against more dedicated Flutter checks and sturdier IceScales walls. This set admittedly is a bit flawed as losing a moveslot does hurt against some of the more bulkier IceScales walls and Flutter checks but the ability to demolish its most common check can be very nice and is worth considering.

Tauros-Paldea-Fire @ Choice Band
Ability: Orichalcum Pulse
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Raging Bull
- Earthquake

Ok, now this isn't very good, I'll admit but it does do one thing well and that's making big funny calcs. For reference Tera Fire FB allows you to 2HKO Fur Coat Palossand ( +1 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Perrserker Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Palossand in Sun: 252-299 (67.3 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and allows you the ability to potentially one shot Fur Coat Avalugg (+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Perrserker Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Avalugg in Sun: 348-411 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO) if it hasn't Tera'd already which is pretttyy insane. Raging Bull here is to allow you to spam without killing yourself if you don't need sheer power of FB and EQ I put it in for the ability to slap Pex, although Tera Fire can already break through it as well. Cereludge can also do similar things with the added bonus of Shadow Sneak and with a bit of extra power if you for some reason need it, in exchange however it has a lot weaker secondary STAB if it needs spam in face of resist when non-Tera'd or against PrimSea, although Iron Bundle doesn't take kindly to banded Shadow Claw either and also is weak to SR while Tauros is neutral, although both will probably kill themselves very quickly with accumulated recoil anyway. Is this set particularly good? No, its speed means it really can't do much against much of the fast offensive meta which can easily kill it in revenge and it'll quickly rack up recoil, but what it can do is pretty funny and isn't the worst thing I've ever seen so I decided I'd put it here.

I've also seen Fur Coat Iron Hands, PH SD Baxculibur, Triage Iron Valiant, Purifying Salt specially defensive Pex, Good as Gold on [insert Ghost type mon here] and IceScales Bellibolt pop up as noticeable, but I haven't really tested any of these to really say if they're particularly good, although Good as Gold is annoying as all hell to play against. Hopefully some of these sets actually prove to not be complete garbage and useful for some.

Of all the things that are new I'm legitimately surprised at the sheer lack of Good as Gold abusers. And as the worlds #1 Gholdengo fan I will not stand for this heresy.

Ceruledge @ Leftovers
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bitter Blade
- Bulk Up
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

As LordBox said at the end of his post, this is damn annoying for the opponent to deal with. Taunt, Encore, Parting shot, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Will-o-wisp after TERA, Defog, and Memento all provide setup opportunities and most pokemon that have these moves aren't equipped to deal with this set. allowing for up to 3 bulk ups, one on the switch-in, one when they try to disable the setup, and one on the switch out. Assuming they don't have literally a healthy Dark, sometimes Water type, usually one with a super effective priority move, or a Dazzling mon (Flutter Mane) this usually wins, or comes close to it on the spot.

Speaking of underused ablilites:

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Wind Rider
Tera Type: Fighting
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

There are perhaps better pokemon to use (Braviary comes to mind) but I chose Scizor because it beats both Flutter Mane and Chien-Pao with Ice Shard. For those that don't know: "Boosts the Pokémon's Attack stat if Tailwind takes effect or if the Pokémon is hit by a wind move. The Pokémon also takes no damage from wind moves."
List of Wind moves or in this case immunities:
Gust / Whirlwind / Blizzard / Icy Wind / Sandstorm / Twister / Heat Wave / Air Cutter / Tailwind / Hurricane / Petal Blizzard / Fairy Wind / Springtide Storm / Bleakwind Storm / Wildbolt Storm / Sandsear Storm

This allows you to setup on specs/scarf Kilowattrel using Hurricane with essentially a 4-turn shift gear, this could also work on a pokemon that switches in after getting tailwind setup for it, allowing for 4 attacking moves. All-in-all I feel as if Wind Rider is definitely off the radar and needs to be considered, though it's fair not to have noticed it yet it's on garbage Brambleghast.

Isaiah

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
I made a personal (unofficial) VR ranking the Paradox mons based on my experiences building/playing/spectating so far:

Triple Anything Goes
:Annihilape: Annihilape (Poison Heal, Regenerator) - This isn't a Paradox mon, but it might as well be; Rage Fist is the stuff of nightmares.

S
:Flutter Mane: Flutter Mane (Sheer Force, Mold Breaker) - there are other possible abilities like poison heal, triage, etc., but I think those are all niche and don't actually do anything in practice. Realistically, all you need with Flutter Mane is Moonblast / Shadow Ball and then w/e combination of coverage for Steel-types and Taunt/setup you need.

:Iron Hands: Iron Hands (Poison Heal, Fur Coat, Regenerator) - I'm actually gonna throw this opinion out there and say I think Iron Hands is top 2 paradox mons rn (yes, even better than Iron Valiant). It's THICC and checks a lot of random physical attackers (even the ones using Ground coverage), and I'd go as far to say it's really consistent.

A+
:Iron Bundle: Iron Bundle (Primordial Sea, Adaptability, No Guard?) - The only reason this mon isn't S is because Hydro Pump sucks.

:Iron Valiant: Iron Valiant (Adaptability, Sheer Force) - I thought this mon would be a lot better when theorycrafting it before official release, but so far it doesn't seem to do much outside of breaking fat cores. In a meta where perhaps Flutter Mane (and maybe Dragapult, somehow?) is gone, I could see it getting away with a lot more.

A
:Scream Tail: Scream Tail (Pixilate, Magic Bounce) - Even though this only has 65 SpA, Pixilate Boomburst is still really strong on a Stealth Rock (or Calm Mind) / Wish / Protect set, and it has the bulk and typing to mid-ground a lot of Fighting-types.

:Great Tusk: Great Tusk (Mold Breaker, Poison Heal) - This mon is really strong, and I only see it getting better as the tier develops further. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a suspect test at some point.

A-
:Iron Moth: Iron Moth (Desolate Land) - Does a decent job of checking Iron Bundle, but otherwise it's not that fast and is outclassed by the faster, stronger special attackers in general.

:Roaring Moon: Roaring Moon (Regenerator?, Magic Guard?, Protean?) I think this mon is pretty mid and haven't found a set I think is actually good yet, but it has a lot of stats and in theory scarf regen beats elemental attackers (like aramarouge).

:Iron Treads: Iron Treads (Regenerator) - For me, this mon's issues that it pretty much has to burn your regen slot to be consistent (or perhaps it will end up being good with immunity abilities later on, who knows), and even then the weakness to Ground is glaring.

:Slither Wing: Slither Wing (Tinted Lens, Orichalcum Pulse) It's kind of like having a Buzzwole. I think this will get better as the tier develops, but right now has a tough time against Fairy Tera Fur Scales users.

Below ZU
:Brute Bonnet: Brute Bonnet (Don't, Use) - This mon is good if you're doing a 5v6 ladder challenge.

:Sandy Shocks: Sandy Shocks (Don't, Use) - This mon is good if you're doing a 5v6 ladder challenge.

:Iron Jugulis: Iron Jugulis (Don't, Use) - This mon is good if you're doing a 5v6 ladder challenge.

:Iron Thorns: Iron Thorns (Don't, Use) - This mon is good if you're doing a 5v6 ladder challenge.

Ban the Ape
on why its broken
1668994025151.png
Annihilape @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Anything / poison / water / steel / Anything / Anything / Dont use ghost or fight
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Bulk Up
- Rage Fist
- Drain Punch

This mon is super super broken and constricting. It feels almost unbeatable(?) if youre not playing explicitly HO and are able to throw fast nuke after fast nuke at it youre gonna be down or lose flat out.

So why is it so good anyways? From first glance, he doesnt stick out too much. Rage Fist is quite an intresting move but otherwise, hes not that fast, not that strong, etc.
It comes down to his bulk actually being very solid when invested into, Rage Fist being a very broken move, Ghost/Fighting having possibly the best 2 type coverage in the game, and sprinkled in with the power of tera mixups.
He can snowball very hard as a poison heal user, but that however isnt unique. Like other historically good poison heal users (snorlax), hes quite unkillable when properly invested into and starts setting up bulk ups. But the main difference is in that he has unparalleled damage output and snowballing with Rage Fist, and that in turn makes playing around him very hard.
With his typing, bulk, and poison heal he can come in for free on a myriad of defensive pokemon to both stack up more Rage Fists, and start bulking up. None of our defensive guys can do anything to this mon. They all get setup on and lose, or end up boosting Rage Fist to lose the next time, or more commonly both.
He can do this on almost all if not all of our fur coat users. Especially when factoring in the very PP-stallable 8 recovery moves.
He comes in for free on common defensive staples like Corviknight, Iron hands, Tinglu, Etc.

Okay so hes pretty bulky, and the poison heal mon can setup on defensive guys? What about the offensive counterplay then?
Well, first off you need a strong supereffective special attack coming from a faster mon to OHKO the ape. If you dont OHKO it, it will OHKO you in return, and pheal it all back and beat you next time. Physical attackers will flat out not win if they come in on a Bulk Up.
Okay well in a meta dominated by mons like Flutter Mane it shouldnt be too difficult right?
The first issue is, getting the revenge killer in. Its quite hard to switch into ghost/fighting coverage, especially with most strong special attackers being quite frail. So you need a pivot, one thats very very bulky to not be immediately threathened by the +1/+2 Ape to get the slow pivot off. And thats quite a narrow pool already. But the worst part is to get the pivot off, moves like flip turn/volt switch/u-turn all feed his Rage Fist more.

But okay, we have the Revenge Killer in here, now time to kill the Ape. This is where Tera comes in, If you Tera to any type that grants you Neutral damage, not even resisted damage to the Revenge Killer you will always live the attack and kill them back. Of course, you always have the option to tera into a resisted type, especially with the limited pool of revenge killers there are you can adequately prep for them. But for many of these calcs, you dont even need to tera.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Misdreavus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow: 416-494 (98.1 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Misdreavus Moonblast vs. TERA Normal 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow: 208-247 (49 - 58.2%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (tera water) Delibird Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow in Heavy Rain: 404-476 (95.2 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (tera water) Delibird Hydro Pump vs. TERA Water 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow in Heavy Rain: 202-238 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow: 348-410 (82 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. TERA Normal 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow: 174-205 (41 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow: 307-363 (72.4 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Adaptability Gallade Moonblast (Iron Valiant) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow: 304-360 (71.6 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Volcarona (Iron Moth) Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow in Harsh Sunshine: 160-190 (37.7 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Aegislash-Blade (Gholdengo) Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marshadow: 206-246 (48.5 - 58%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO

Afterwards with protect and poison heal, and maybe one pivot in and out later, the ape is back to full
Gg, you have lost your revenge killer who was also likely your main breaker. The ape has come back in later, you are 6-0d.
While you may think now other counterplay options open up because of this tera type change, the ape's huge bulk and bulk up and poison heal let him still perform his job just as well vs the same defensive mons, and its really hard to take advantage of a smart tera type like water, poison, or steel.
This guy also accomplishes the same calcs and feats of live the move > ohko back > get back up to full vs all the physical attackers, they just have it even harder having to contend with bulk up boosts.
He's only somewhat manageable right now because of the heavy hyper offense meta we have, where he admittedly doesnt shine. But he does farm anything less than HO for pretty much free.
He also has some intresting regen sets, but those i feel are not as good, but still noteworthy.

Anyways please let me know if i missed anything, any counter arguements, etc. Ban this ape plz

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
Iron Hands (Poison Heal, Fur Coat, Regenerator) - I'm actually gonna throw this opinion out there and say I think Iron Hands is top 2 paradox mons rn (yes, even better than Iron Valiant). It's THICC and checks a lot of random physical attackers (even the ones using Ground coverage), and I'd go as far to say it's really consistent.
No mention of unburden on this is criminal

LordBox

A-
:Iron Moth: Iron Moth (Desolate Land) - Does a decent job of checking Iron Bundle, but otherwise it's not that fast and is outclassed by the faster, stronger special attackers in general.
Btw have you tried using utility on Iron Moth instead of running it primarily as an attacker, which I assume is what you're doing. Credits to Sandchans for this set as well.

Iron Moth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Desolate Land
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Morning Sun
- Fiery Dance
- Toxic Spikes
- U-turn

Not the best attacker, but it was never going to be with the monsters in the tier like Flutter and Iron Bundle and really I was mainly using it to check Iron Bundle and thought I'd prefer the utility of TSpikes which can be very annoying for some FurScale mons and U-turn pivot can be quite valuable and still keeps some decent offensive utility with DLand Fiery Dance, discharge and bulk investment could even be options but I haven't used it much. Still not great but nice and I prefer it over full offensive sets.

BDrum Unburden Iron Hands also yes can be cool on HO teams and I've had some success bullying low ladder with it on screens HO. Also yes the Ape is OP and probably needs to go. PHeal set is just far too powerful and can sit on balance and stall almost oppressively. Although, I will say Tera also plays a good part in this being OP being able to soak fat hits by Tera'ing its type defensively as mentioned, but even without Tera it might still be a bit too oppressive as it also lessens options to nuke the Monkey. Too bad since RegenVest and other regen variants I feel aren't that bad especially with Tera gone but oh well, unless someone creates a brand new set that can counter the PHeal very well and also has value generally. I still say Tera should go first but oh well.

Also thoughts on this https://pokepast.es/66672e7b0ce1a9e5 for a screens HO? Haven't really seen any HO or screens HO on ladder that much or here so I decided to try my hand at a screens HO team, not very good but it worked a bit for ladder, mainly just BDrum Unburden sweeping low ladder though. Dazzling Volc is specifically here to stuff Aerilate Drag which would completely annihilate it otherwise, with a +2 Hurricane able to OHKO Drag and also stuffing other priority like Sucker Punch from WHITEBEARD and Shadow Sneak from Cereludge. Originally was using TDebris on Dragapult but switched to MBounce to stop hazards getting down on Dragapult and Prankster taunts I suppose. Also I cope in believing in Sandy Shocks, it just needs Tera Ice trust me

Also newer edition of the HO team with credit going to Grim_Blazer for the newer sets, now with Prankster Chi-Yu and using PHeal Monkey https://pokepast.es/d13862aaae987c95, similar team but just with a bit of modification and managed to get to 1400 from around 1200 using it on an alt. Also, Houndstone is pretty useless on this and I'm just trying to find something cool to slap Supreme Overlord on, currently mixed Pult with Supreme Commander seems interesting so far.
1669012210647.png

Last edited:
initial thoughts 2 electric (terrain) boogaloo:

i was initially too lazy to post my teams and nothing has changed since then except for the fact that i am under the influence so i'll be posting them and then give my thoughts again on the state of the meta

:iron-valiant::iron-treads::corviknight::dragonite::roaring-moon::flutter-mane:
this was my initial team that i tweaked while playing with on the ladder, kinda shit though. valiant punishes passive play heavily and shits on bulky teams but struggles a lot in the current meta. regen moon can be a decent check to some stuff i.e. psea bundle and mane (if tera) but honestly kind of niche and also lacks any other meaningful utility outside of pivoting. not too many thoughts on the team, think the rest should be self explanatory.

:iron-bundle::ting-lu::iron-hands::iron-treads::dragonite::flutter-mane:
basically the concept here is just get up some hazards and throw out some attacks till things are in +1 espeed/+6 iron hands range. performs pretty well but has some matchup dependency. also i lost to an fc oricorio that shit made me cry

:corviknight::dragonite::great-tusk::flutter-mane::sandy-shocks::chi-yu:
ima be real i played like 8 games w/ this and played like shit and got rewarded for it. basically the game plan here is to lead either corv or tusk, click screens and taunt or rocks respectively and then (hopefully) win within the next 15 turns. chi-yu is pretty cool as an unburden sweeper bc it outspeeds basically everything and has decent enough bulk behind screens to get to +2, and the coverage shits on most things especially after tera into psychic. hadron engine is actually fucking nuts on mane, and behind screens it has a decent amount of longevity even vs stuff like dnite espeed. brick break on tusk is pretty much better than cc in most scenarios for this team, prevents you from losing to opposing screens as easily and cc hits nothing that headlong rush doesn't, except fc corv which takes nothing from it anyways. sandy shocks is lowkey bad i dont remember why i put it on the team

other thoughts: after playing a decent number of games with a good variety of teams vs a lot of different playstyles i've concluded the following:
- tera should be priority 1 for next ban/suspect, can be pretty coinflippy in a lot of scenarios and difficult to predict given how variable it can be. basically it's either a "click to gain a signficant power boost" or a "click to instantly win a matchup" or in many cases a "click to win the game" button and although it requires a bit more thought than, say, dmax from both the user and the opponent it's still fundamentally a broken mechanic and makes it hard to accurately gauge the power of other pokemon when tera itself is an enabler of a lot of stuff (see: annihilape, dnite, etc) that otherwise wouldn't be so difficult to play around.
- :annihilape: annihilape is really scary, i find myself having to play around it a lot more compared to other pokemon, even stuff like mane. the reward mechanic for rage fist is extremely lopsided and it's especially broken in aaa with ape having so much more longevity compared to a standard meta, especially if you're not using some ho team or a very specific dedicated check. whether aaa follows ou and bans ape entirely or just bans the move is up in the air, but i think most people are in agreement that it's not really healthy, although i think it'd be a lot easier to deal with if tera was gone.
- :flutter-mane: flutter mane is absurdly hard to play around and tera only makes it more unbearable to deal with. there is nothing more for me to say about this, i'm sure everyone else's ladder experience should reflect this whether you're using it or playing against it.
- :dragonite: i have developed a terrible tic in my hand that compels me to type out the word "dragonite" whenever i'm building a new team. about as suspect worthy as last gen i think, but with so much broken stuff running around idt it's the first mon that should go.
- i don't think there's anything else that's egregiously broken besides maybe bundle but i think tera should be gone before deciding anything regardless. everything else is barely being held together by corv being fat and iron hands also being fat and tera avalugg also also being fat.

tl;dr: ban tera lol

UT

Come one come all, it's happening again
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Hey look, more active tiering!
:sv/annihilape:
Annihilape has been quick banned!
Quick ban...UTIsaiahbeautsThe Number ManTotal
AnnihilapeBANBANABSBAN3-0-1 BAN

Rage Fist is a fair and balanced move. With AAA providing multiple different avenues for increasing its longevity, Annihilape can fairly easily boost Rage Fist to 300 BP. Poison Heal + Bulk Up is the most notorious set; Rage Fist means you want to avoid directly attacking Annihilape unless you are sure you can OHKO, and Poison Heal + Bulk Up punishes you for not attacking it. Beyond that, Choice Scarf Regenerator can also make the most of its longevity, aggressively switching into weak or resisted hits (or both, hi Corviknight's U-turn) and then firing off fast and powerful attacks. Finally, it also has great synergy with Tera, as it can dodge a super effective OHKO to live another day (and usually OHKO the attacker back).

Beyond just Rage Fist, it has numerous other positive traits; unresisted STAB coverage, high BP moves, good bulk for an offensive mon, and access to pivoting. Rage Fist is clearly what takes a good set and makes it broken, but it still has enough positive traits to support the broken move.

Similar to the Electrify ban last generation, when you set up incentives so your opponent's best play is to not attack, bullshit happens. As a result, and with how easy it is to accumulate Rage Fist boosts, Annihiape has been determined to be uncompetitive and is banned from AAA!

Tagging Kris to implement.

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
I took Greybaum's Godly Gift stall and turned it into AAA teams:

:Toxapex::Avalugg::Brambleghast::Corviknight::Skeledirge::Ting-Lu:
https://pokepast.es/ad03c9ffb7af787f
Almost mon for mon the same team, just replaced Florges with Avalugg bc it's much bulkier. Try to get Fairy-type Avalugg ASAP since Pure Fairy typing is broken. The idea is just spam hazards and prevent them from being removed yourself.

:Toxapex::Florges::Great Tusk::Corviknight::Skeledirge::Ting-Lu:
https://pokepast.es/c8992e6d00ab3f02
I realized that hazard spam is hard to turn into a wincon if the opponent has a bunch of Heavy-Duty Boots mons, so I modified the team to have at least one Knock Off user (Great Tusk). Basically, get Great Tusk to turn into a Ghost-type ASAP so you can spinblock, then run the same gameplan as with the first version of the team.

E: This team exists too, if you want:
:Scream Tail::Toxapex::Great Tusk::Blissey::Toedscruel::Corviknight::
https://pokepast.es/36ab9b5ae64f4b80

UT

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Hello friends, big news today.

The AAA council has voted to implement Terastal Clause (which bans Terastalizing) and immediately suspect test removing it. Short version, we will be starting a Tera suspect test shortly!

The reasoning behind a quick ban and suspect test is to allow the upcoming AAA Kickoff Tour to proceed with Terastal Clause implemented, giving us the unique chance to see the metagame with Tera (the ladder) and without Tera (the tour). In terms of your experience on the suspect ladder, it should be exactly as normal; Tera will still be allowed. The only difference will be in the voting stage, where we will be voting whether or not to remove Terastal Clause. But we will make sure to spell that out clearly when voting begins.

I do encourage people to participate in the tour to get a feel for both environments, but that is not a part of the suspect process/requirements at all.

In the mean time, good luck getting reqs, please feel free to articulate your thoughts on Tera and the metagame as a whole, and happy laddering!

Edit: suspect thread here.

Not the right call to have a Tera suspect when there are still a bunch of broken shit in the Meta game right now that needs more attention than Tera.
Basically everything unbanned this gen that was banned before and new Drought/Electric Surge, and of course a bunch, and or course Pokemon like Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane.
Now we're gonna have to wait even longer to have that shit banned when Tera is kind of mid and people only think its broken because inherently broken things make it look broken.

Armarouge @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Armor Cannon
- Trick
- Destiny Bond

Trick allows it to cuck defensive mons like Avalugg and such against bulkier stall or balance teams that it might not find as much use against.
I-I don't think Avalugg is ... Armarouge wil- ... Look there is no world where Avalugg is staying in against an Armarouge unless it's sacking or purposely trying to get tricked. If you ever somehow get Armarouge to trick a scarf onto Avalugg, I don't think you've outplayed or crippled them so much as you have nerfed your self, because chances are they wanted that choice scarf trick out of the way for something else.

Avalugg is a physically defensive ice type ... Armarouge is a special attacking fire/psychic type under psychic terrain that resists the only 2 attacks Avalugg would ever click. Like imagine the level of spite someone would have to have to specifically bring a well baked, terra-dark Avalugg to counter this very specific set on this very specific pokemon that also gets aura sphere.

Sorry, just finding the scenario absurdly funny to imagine.

Any other ice type: exists

Armarouge:
SpanishClosedAvians-max-1mb.gif

Avalugg: stands menacingly in a dark alley

Armarouge: "Oh no, please don't hurt me! Here take my money ... and my scarf too!"

Last edited:

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
Not the right call to have a Tera suspect when there are still a bunch of broken shit in the Meta game right now that needs more attention than Tera.
Basically everything unbanned this gen that was banned before and new Drought/Electric Surge, and of course a bunch, and or course Pokemon like Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane.
Now we're gonna have to wait even longer to have that shit banned when Tera is kind of mid and people only think its broken because inherently broken things make it look broken.
Hi there, we totally agree the metagame isn’t done being balanced! However, where we disagree is whether or not Tera is the biggest issue.

Quite frankly, Tera changes a lot. Iron Bundle being able to 2HKO Chansey, Flutter Mane being able to beat Scales Corv, Kingambit being able to set up on Iron Hands—all of these mons are significantly more broken and less consistently answerable due to Tera.

When we’re looking up and down the watch list, and seeing that almost every mon on there is strongly enabled by Tera, we had to decide did we want to potentially ban 10-15 things first, or see if Tera was the root issue? And this is before even considering the mindgames and 50/50s Tera causes which, in my opinion, are even more unhealthy.

Ultimately, we’re going to live with this meta for something like three years. A two week delay in other tiering to potentially address the most significant problem, and therefore allow us to better tier, seems like a reasonable trade off to me, and the council as a whole.

We’re still going to be aggressive about tiering, we want a balanced metagame just as much as you do! And there is room for reasonable disagreement about the best path to get there. But we’re trying, we’ll hopefully have an answer on Tera soon, and then we’ll have even better information on tiering everything else.

LordBox

I-I don't think Avalugg is ... Armarouge wil- ... Look there is no world where Avalugg is staying in against an Armarouge unless it's sacking or purposely trying to get tricked. If you ever somehow get Armarouge to trick a scarf onto Avalugg, I don't think you've outplayed or crippled them so much as you have nerfed your self, because chances are they wanted that choice scarf trick out of the way for something else.

Avalugg is a physically defensive ice type ... Armarouge is a special attacking fire/psychic type under psychic terrain that resists the only 2 attacks Avalugg would ever click. Like imagine the level of spite someone would have to have to specifically bring a well baked, terra-dark Avalugg to counter this very specific set on this very specific pokemon that also gets aura sphere.

Sorry, just finding the scenario absurdly funny to imagine.

Any other ice type: exists

Armarouge:View attachment 467786

Avalugg: stands menacingly in a dark alley

Armarouge: "Oh no, please don't hurt me! Here take my money ... and my scarf too!"
Ok I admit... Avalugg as an example of a wall probably wasn't a great example lol

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
ok i've played a bit trying to feel out the metagame and if i want to participate in the ongoing suspect test, here's some thoughts

:iron-bundle: this needs to go ASAP it's strong as hell forces very specific counterplay that often can just be flip/u-turned on and i never have the confidence to run it because i've missed half the hydro pumps i've used, this mon is nothing good for the metagame who tf gave this hydro and not surf and also gave it insane stats.

:flutter-mane: has felt surprisingly manageable but i would chalk that up to how crazy things are right now, its offensive sets are extremely potent but can be walled out by things like ice scales or regenvest. fat/stall can manage these sets but it has plenty of room to adapt imo though at the cost of effectiveness into offense.

:iron-hands: glue mon in the sense you can give it like ten different viable abilities and it will pull its weight every time. regen, poison heal, unburden, triage, all extremely powerful. can do whatever it wants for the most part since its bulky enough to randomly live hits.

honestly building is really strenuous rn because there's so many things you need to cover for, HO is really strong but if you fixate on it too much you often lose to fatter teams. also been seeing a lot of sets that just throw random abilities on pokemon and hope it works out, i.e. dazzling roaring moon/flutter mane or scrappy body press garganacl. MU fish galore.

w.r.t. terastal idk what to even think of it, honestly of the things that i found were too powerful/uncompetitive while playing somehow being able to change type at will and gain extra STAB/free Adapt was only like, barely top 5??? it's a dumb mechanic that idt is going to stick around in the long term but it honestly feels necessary to keep up with the ludicrous power of the metagame as it stands. i don't fully agree with the suspect test for it first but also it is a new mechanic so experimenting with it more on ladder while keeping the tournament more controlled wrt individual mons makes a lot of sense

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
:iron-bundle: this needs to go ASAP it's strong as hell forces very specific counterplay that often can just be flip/u-turned on and i never have the confidence to run it because i've missed half the hydro pumps i've used, this mon is nothing good for the metagame who tf gave this hydro and not surf and also gave it insane stats.
I agree with everything said here, especially the part about missing Hydro Pumps. I've been getting insane luck in AAA recently in literally everything EXCEPT hitting Hydro Pump with Iron Bundle. I have about a 50% hit rate recently, and I'm not exaggerating for once >:( Who :Smogjynx: 'd this birb??? But it does put insane pressure on any team due to its Speed tier and (when it hits) powerful offense. Encore also makes recovery against it terrible, as you get locked in and use up 1/4+ of your now limited rather limited PP.

tl;dr too fast too strong too good coverage just like it is in half the other other (other?) metas

:sv/baxcalibur:
This bad boi breaks the back of the bastions of bulk. And other words starting with b.
For all the sets below I put Swords Dance or Dragon Dance. Band and Scarf seem like not terrible options as well, but just generally inferior to the sets that can change up moves, especially since dual STAB gives very little to Baxcalibur.

Ice Shard Spam (Baxcalibur) @ Life Orb / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

This is the most basic set. I named it Ice Shard Spam. It spams Ice Shard against anything faster which will likely be frail enough to die and Icicle Spear against anything slower which will die because it's an absurdly powerful attack unless you low roll the number of hits. Earthquake is coverage. This is the set I've mostly been using.

Moldy Coats (Baxcalibur) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake

Mold Breaker beats Unaware, Fur Coat, and Dazzling clones, all of which are a pain for Baxcalibur. Not having to worry about randomly dying to a random Dazzling mon makes it much more reliable, and breaking through Fur Coat and Unaware gives it what I have seen referred to as 'the largest power boost in the meta', you know, in very specific circumstances. This set does announce its presence which means that your opponents, if they're not idiots (which you can't actually assume, especially on ladder) will know what's up and try other means to defeat you.

The Winter Soldier (Baxcalibur) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

No, I did not choose this ability for the theme. It did work out nicely though, honestly. This final set is intended to be both an answer to Iron Bundle and to generally provide a single use answer to Pokemon such as Iron Man, sorry, Moth for bulky offensive or offensive teams. Because Baxcalibur has such naturally high Attack it can largely get away without a boosting ability, and Ice Scales combined with being a non-Ice weak Dragon gives it a good niche as a tank that can set up against
The main downside to this set is you're using up your only Ice Scales user on a Pokemon that isn't actually a wall. Because of that many teams just won't be able to fit this in the current metagame because of that reason unfortunately, but I still enjoy it.
Adamant Nature lets you outspeed Iron Bundle at +1! By literally 1 point o_O.

:sv/kilowattrel:
Kilowattrel @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Primordial Sea
Tera Type: Water / Flying
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Hurricane
- Roost / U-Turn

Ooooh look it's bad Zapdos! That's what y'all are saying, right? Honestly this Pokemon has a similar offensive movepool, and obviously the same typing as Zapdos, but its statline is rather different, so I don't think it plays similarly at all. It has 70/70/60/105/60/125 base stats, giving it pretty terrible bulk, great Speed, and usable Special Attack. This is much more of a fast birb than a tanky Zapdos-like one.

That being said I have to admit I haven't actually uh... tested this set. So be nice and test it for me ok :D

I agree with everything said here, especially the part about missing Hydro Pumps. I've been getting insane luck in AAA recently in literally everything EXCEPT hitting Hydro Pump with Iron Bundle. I have about a 50% hit rate recently, and I'm not exaggerating for once >:( Who :Smogjynx: 'd this birb??? But it does put insane pressure on any team due to its Speed tier and (when it hits) powerful offense. Encore also makes recovery against it terrible, as you get locked in and use up 1/4+ of your now limited rather limited PP.

tl;dr too fast too strong too good coverage just like it is in half the other other (other?) metas

:sv/baxcalibur:
This bad boi breaks the back of the bastions of bulk. And other words starting with b.
For all the sets below I put Swords Dance or Dragon Dance. Band and Scarf seem like not terrible options as well, but just generally inferior to the sets that can change up moves, especially since dual STAB gives very little to Baxcalibur.

Ice Shard Spam (Baxcalibur) @ Life Orb / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

This is the most basic set. I named it Ice Shard Spam. It spams Ice Shard against anything faster which will likely be frail enough to die and Icicle Spear against anything slower which will die because it's an absurdly powerful attack unless you low roll the number of hits. Earthquake is coverage. This is the set I've mostly been using.

Moldy Coats (Baxcalibur) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake

Mold Breaker beats Unaware, Fur Coat, and Dazzling clones, all of which are a pain for Baxcalibur. Not having to worry about randomly dying to a random Dazzling mon makes it much more reliable, and breaking through Fur Coat and Unaware gives it what I have seen referred to as 'the largest power boost in the meta', you know, in very specific circumstances. This set does announce its presence which means that your opponents, if they're not idiots (which you can't actually assume, especially on ladder) will know what's up and try other means to defeat you.

The Winter Soldier (Baxcalibur) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

No, I did not choose this ability for the theme. It did work out nicely though, honestly. This final set is intended to be both an answer to Iron Bundle and to generally provide a single use answer to Pokemon such as Iron Man, sorry, Moth for bulky offensive or offensive teams. Because Baxcalibur has such naturally high Attack it can largely get away without a boosting ability, and Ice Scales combined with being a non-Ice weak Dragon gives it a good niche as a tank that can set up against
The main downside to this set is you're using up your only Ice Scales user on a Pokemon that isn't actually a wall. Because of that many teams just won't be able to fit this in the current metagame because of that reason unfortunately, but I still enjoy it.
Adamant Nature lets you outspeed Iron Bundle at +1! By literally 1 point o_O.

:sv/kilowattrel:
Kilowattrel @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Primordial Sea
Tera Type: Water / Flying
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Hurricane
- Roost / U-Turn

Ooooh look it's bad Zapdos! That's what y'all are saying, right? Honestly this Pokemon has a similar offensive movepool, and obviously the same typing as Zapdos, but its statline is rather different, so I don't think it plays similarly at all. It has 70/70/60/105/60/125 base stats, giving it pretty terrible bulk, great Speed, and usable Special Attack. This is much more of a fast birb than a tanky Zapdos-like one.

That being said I have to admit I haven't actually uh... tested this set. So be nice and test it for me ok :D
Can confirm, primordial sea killowatrel gets clowned on by silly pengiun

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
i am done with suspect reqs (see here for thoughts on tera), here's what i've found out about the meta so far

:dragonite: this is the same problem as always, you basically need either a fur coater or bulk up corv to not lose to this. pretty self-explanatory, can't see this staying for long (similar to every other gen)

:iron bundle: this thing is cracked. i'm not entirely sure how it will perform post-tera ban if it happens, since this means it can no longer 2HKO scales corv and evio chansey - if tera stays get this thing gone AF, if tera gets banned i think it's still borderline but will likely stay.

:iron hands: playing against a team with iron hands in the back is terrifying. it's kommo-o but significantly bulkier and also does more damage, having coverage options for stuff like clodsire and avalugg is great, balance sets like pheal and regen are also good. overall this is a great mon with a lot of flexibility, i don't think it's massively banworthy but checking drum sets without relatively stally mons like unaware clodsire and fc whirlwind hippo is kind of rough, so i could see unburden ban being a possibility again.

:cyclizar: shed tail might be balanced? i honestly don't know. it sort of enables cracked offensive stuff in the same vein that BH did but you've got an actual drawback here in needing to use cyclizar (orthworm barely counts), which has average-at-best BST and is basically just a shed tail bot that can knock or spin in a pinch. good alternative on offense/HO if you don't fance running screens or veil, don't currently see it being busted atm.

:ting lu: bulky bastard mark 7 (good defensive type, 155/125/80 bulk) that also gets good support options. i have yet to see stallbreaker sets (it gets all of sand tomb/ruination [nature's madness clone]/taunt), however using this as a spikes bot that also dissuades setup is likely the best and easiest application for the time being. ruination is underexplored i feel, being able to pressure corv's roost PP is useful and enables a lot of teammates in balance wars.

:iron valiant: it's pretty good, sheer force lacks good switchins (cc/moon/tbolt/psy, tera elec) and combined with shed tail is sometimes just a delete button. i've tested some different tera types and i think electric is the best, since you turn the 3HKO on scales corv into a 2HKO and can also emergency live a dnite espeed/do at minimum 90 back. this is likely it's best set due to furscales however.

:flutter mane: i don't think this is too oppressive, just because most of the common stuff already being used (blobs, scales corv, pult, delibot, dnite) can soft-check it. mostly works as a cleaner / against more offensive teams imo as it doesn't have mind-boggling power to take down bulkier cores. might get banned when the offensive stuff that keeps it in check does, no strong feelings about this currently though

:great tusk: i was using this with moldy band for a while, it's just not really there. furscales being allowed holds banders back, especially since most fur coat users tend to be bulkier than scales users, so you can't just muscle through with a damage-boosting ability like you can with specs stuff. the highest attack fire-types (to abuse orichalcum pulse), flareon and ceruledge, being relatively slow and struggling to get in doesn't really help much either.

:iron treads: regenvest is kinda bad lol

:corviknight: bulk up scales

LordBox

Been playing some more and guess I'll dump some more sets because wynaut. Quality not guaranteed for users™

Garganacl @ Leftovers / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales / Fur Coat(?)
Tera Type: Water / Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Iron Defense / Heavy Slam
- Body Press / Stealth Rock

Theorycrafted with DeepFriedMagikarp, and is overall pretty cool, until Tera gets banned that is. Salt Cure is super annoying, sticking around literally forever unless you switch out, yeah even if Garganacl dies it still sticks around I believe, and is the main appeal for using Garganacl as you just spam Salt Cure to constatnyl chip away at your opponents. With IceScales + IDef + Body press this thing can turn into a bulky late wincon by boosting up with IDef and spamming Body Press and Salt Cure, with Tera Water allowing it to tank Bundle, although Fairy is probably generally better if you have strong Bundle answers in your team. While I prefer IceScales as you can boost up with Iron Defense, Tera Fairy + Fur Coat and max physbulk can make Garganacl very physically bulky as well, although you'll basically fully need to rely on your team to answer special threats. Without Fur Coat, dont rely on this as your main physical sponge as its physbulk is rather lackluster without Fur Coat or a Iron Defense boost and can get worn down or nuked easily. If you don't want to run this as a wincon, you can always slap Stealth Rocks for extra Utility as well. In terms of issue, it can get nuked physically if running IceScales and you dont have a Iron Defense boost and is reliant on Tera as otherwise Rock obviously sucks as a defensive typing (although even non-Tera this thing nearly made me lose with one of my balance teams). It also hates TSpikes if not running Boots or just Toxic in general as well every defensive mon that doesn't have PHeal or is Poison/Steel does. Overall can be irritating and can work well against some balance teams.

Dragapult @ Spell Tag / Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dragon Darts
- Tera Blast
- Draco Meteor

Full credit goes to DeepFriedMagikarp for this set, and is overall pretty cool as well. Similar to Iron Valiant, this Pult set is designed to work well against FurScale walls that are perhaps a bit too specialised in one side of the spectrum, although does lack a bit less power compared to Valiant in exchange for having the extra speed to still retain usage against offensive threats like Bundle/Flutter which might ordinarily chase out Valiant if not scarf. The choice between Spell Tag and Life Orb depends on the choice between recoil and extra power. The recoil actually is rather annoying as you can end up killing yourself pretty quickly, especially if you take another chip from just a single attack or hazards, and can put you in range for attacks coming from even weak attack stats like Corviknights BB/Iron Head. It does offer you a bit more power, especially on your Dragon moves which can be nice for 2HKOing Chansey on the switch which could otherwise cripple you with status but pick your poison. Issues with this set apart from the recoil w/ Lorb is that is really doesn't like things surviving a hit and being able to potentially kill it with a hit or cripple it with status and also that it is a bit reliant on Tera to break through things like IceScales Corv. Overall cool option that preserves usefulness against offensive threats while being able to more easily break some annoying defensive mons like IceScales Corv or FurCoat Hippowdown/Avalugg compared to if invested all into one side but does suffer from quite a fair few issues so use it with care.

Great Tusk @ Choice Band
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner

This was mentioned in Guzzler's post above and I've also seen it before but I don't think anyone has shared a set so here it is! I'm not too sure if I'd agree with their point on it "not really being there" though. The main gimmick of this set is to act as a breaker while trying to not being stopped by pesky FurCoat mons which could otherwise soak up its hits fairly well, destroying FurCoat Iron Hands and also non-Tera Avalugg, able to OHKO and 2HKO them with a Headlong Rush and CC respectively and the ability to spam pretty powerful Knocks can always be appreciated with the limited distribution of Knock Off. Mold Breaker also carries niche usage in not being stopped by some stray Earth Eater/Levitate mon. While Adamant is usually best to make sure you get the most out of the attacks you can get off, Jolly is an option to beat Cereludge and also turn the tables on non-Scarf Gholdnego. That all being said, this thing isn't just an insta-delete button on all things like you'd expect it to be, even if ignoring the FurCoat of some mons. Without an actual damage boosting ability, its hits can still be soaked up by neutral/resist FurCoat mons that aren't entirely dependent or boosted PHeal mons like Curse Dondozo and its main stabs both having common immunities can make it even more predication reliant than a normal Choiced mon. Its speed and typing can also get it forced out by a variety of offensive mons and hard to get on the field with the death of pivot everywhere, although this is somewhat expected of a wallbreaker. Overall, can be nice as a breaker and I did find some decent success with on a balance team paired with some rare pivot, but can be dicey to get on the field and use at times.

Dondozo @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Grass / Ground / ???
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wave Crash
- Facade / Earthquake
- Curse
- Protect

Saw a bit of this set on ladder, although I don't think anyone has shared this set here so might as well. Now I admit, I haven't actually tested this mon that much as it doesn't fit in too well on my teams but I can see it working pretty well on better teams that aren't mine. Not too much to say here, with PHeal + Curse and good bulk, this thing can turn into a bulky wincon while also can work as a physical sponge (although, dont fully rely on it) and despite the full bulk investment, a Curse boost or two can actually make this thing hit harder than it should. Tera typing is tentative and change as you please, and the choice between Facade / EQ depends on if you wanna lose against the rare Grass types in the tier or lose to DLand Cereludge which isn't too common either with Orichalcum Pulse existing. I also tried a specially bulky variant on a screens HO team as offbrand Ape but eh just sticking with Defense investment most of the times will be better. Also, Bulk Up Great Tusk w/ Knock, EQ and Rapid Spin can be cool (thanks to Isaiah for the set) and can provide decent utility with Knock and Spin as well.

IceScales Clodsire is also pretty cool w/ SR, Toxic, Recover and Poison Jab but I won't go into depth as I haven't really tested it, but from what I've seen I'd say it's only really useful on stall imo. Also can we please ban Iron Bundle so I stop having to slap DLand Moth on every team? I hate this penguin with a burning hatred holy shit. It is somehow the most useless and broken mon in the tier at the same time, it has immense power to break through many mons even IceScales mons (partly due to Tera) with great speed but actually using it feels like online gambling now only with Showdown Elo and GXE on the line. The absolute anxiety that is clicking Hydro Pump against Fluttermane cannot be qualified by any number known to man.

Hopefully people actually find some use from these sets and they aren't complete trash.

Do you want a splashable solution to Dragonite Espeed abuse?

I present to you:

hellnaw (Flutter Mane) @ Psychic Seed
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball/thunderbolt
- Substitute

Swap into the Espeed abuser of your choice, and tap substitute. You're pretty much gaurenteed to force out d-nite, and kill or chunk whatever comes in.

Psyshic seed allows you to beat Iron bundle 1v1 as well, while the terrain makes you immune to priority and the sub beats most scarfers

252 SpA Iron Bundle Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Flutter Mane in Rain: 135-159 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)