(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

My artistic perspective is that Palworld does do plagiarism. Especially since many of the model rigs seem extremely (extremely) similar to Pokemon models.

I think a lot of people who say "plagiarism is fine if it's against a big company we hate" will never get the usual artist perspective. That is, artistic communities do not just see merit and care about artistic integrity to some material purpose.

ie. us saying that Palworld's plagiarism is bad is not to defend Game Freak/The Pokemon Company. It is to defend the concept that making new things should matter, and that an asset flip topping games like Elden Ring is a horrible omen for the industry.

Mass consumers don't care, but all of the friends I know who are artistic, really do. Because we hate plagiarism period. Against anyone.

Also, artists are not the same as companies. Former or current artists that work at Game Freak often show that they love their designs which have now been ripped off. Which is extremely disrespectful from the Palworld devs for shamelessly stealing, and for those of you who just say "well lol big company". Individuals created and loved Pokemon that they made.

Consider this: If every single artist working at Pocket Pair did designs, that's still a hundred for 4ish developers, IIRC. Most Pokemon artists make < 10 designs that actually make it into the games. They aren't shitting these out.

It's also not just plagiarism, but also a creatively bankrupt game with almost no original assets. Then you have the fact that Pocket Pair has several Early Access titles, and is releasing a Hollow Knight "based" game next quarter.

Then you have all the AI Art/Crypto shit, and it kind of makes my blood boil that some of you would just turn your cheek to that.

I played Palworld for a few hours and Legends Arcues back to back, as I felt that a lot of the appeal in Palworld could be found in Arceus. For instance, Arceus is not a base builder, but both are IMO addicting because they so heavily reward doing tasks such as catching the same creatures over and over. And I'll be honest, Legends Arceus is just way better. Because it's a cohesive original experience by artists. It's also ridiculous when people say "Palworld is a kick in the balls Pokemon needed, they should have evolved the formula,"

They did. It just came out 10 months before Scarlet/Violet (which also did major changes tbh), and then somehow you all forget???

My artistic perspective is that Palworld does do plagiarism. Especially since many of the model rigs seem extremely (extremely) similar to Pokemon models.

I think a lot of people who say "plagiarism is fine if it's against a big company we hate" will never get the usual artist perspective. That is, artistic communities do not just see merit and care about artistic integrity to some material purpose.

ie. us saying that Palworld's plagiarism is bad is not to defend Game Freak/The Pokemon Company. It is to defend the concept that making new things should matter, and that an asset flip topping games like Elden Ring is a horrible omen for the industry.

Mass consumers don't care, but all of the friends I know who are artistic, really do. Because we hate plagiarism period. Against anyone.

Also, artists are not the same as companies. Former or current artists that work at Game Freak often show that they love their designs which have now been ripped off. Which is extremely disrespectful from the Palworld devs for shamelessly stealing, and for those of you who just say "well lol big company". Individuals created and loved Pokemon that they made.

Consider this: If every single artist working at Pocket Pair did designs, that's still a hundred for 4ish developers, IIRC. Most Pokemon artists make < 10 designs that actually make it into the games. They aren't shitting these out.

It's also not just plagiarism, but also a creatively bankrupt game with almost no original assets. Then you have the fact that Pocket Pair has several Early Access titles, and is releasing a Hollow Knight "based" game next quarter.

Then you have all the AI Art/Crypto shit, and it kind of makes my blood boil that some of you would just turn your cheek to that.

I played Palworld for a few hours and Legends Arcues back to back, as I felt that a lot of the appeal in Palworld could be found in Arceus. For instance, Arceus is not a base builder, but both are IMO addicting because they so heavily reward doing tasks such as catching the same creatures over and over. And I'll be honest, Legends Arceus is just way better. Because it's a cohesive original experience by artists. It's also ridiculous when people say "Palworld is a kick in the balls Pokemon needed, they should have evolved the formula,"

They did. It just came out 10 months before Scarlet/Violet (which also did major changes tbh), and then somehow you all forget???
This sums up my thoughts. It really doesn’t even matter how good or bad Pokemon is, or if Game Freak need “motivation”. It’s about artistic integrity. There’s no way you can look at this thing and not immediately see Goodra with Lilligant’s flower:
IMG_8103.jpeg

I also don’t think it really matters whether or not Nintendo have taken any action. Anyone with eyes can see the similarities, and these sort of cases are take time and can be hard to prove from a legal standpoint. Regardless of whether or not they decide to do something I still think it’s a bad thing.

This sums up my thoughts. It really doesn’t even matter how good or bad Pokemon is, or if Game Freak need “motivation”. It’s about artistic integrity. There’s no way you can look at this thing and not immediately see Goodra with Lilligant’s flower:

I also don’t think it really matters whether or not Nintendo have taken any action. Anyone with eyes can see the similarities, and these sort of cases are take time and can be hard to prove from a legal standpoint. Regardless of whether or not they decide to do something I still think it’s a bad thing.
It's definitely a green Goodra (with Meganium's head) but that's not Lilligant's flower.

I've thought we can avoid this discussion in OI of all places but....

I have a lot of take and I may get myself hunted as heretic by saying all these, but I'll just drop one take:

Honestly, I'd say let the companies sort it out, I'm curious if Nintendo will sue them and if they will win or possibly lose*. But it's not our place to be mad for them.

*Yes, face it, what the law says may not be the same as what "ethics" say, and so many others have also posited differently on "plagiarism" and other things and may call it legally distinct, even after watching the model comparisons. Let's leave all that to the court, not law graduates of University of Twitter. And that's if they wish to pursue lawsuit.

Don't try to moral grandstand for small artists, I am a small fanartist in circle of art friends myself, you're making me shamefully anxious.:pikuh:

Can we actually talk about Pokémon?

Last edited:
The absolute funniest outcome of this discourse would be if Masuda/Ohmori/some other major Pokemon developer figure with a social media dropped a post that said "Just played Palword for 20 hours, fantastic game! Keep an eye on this team, they have a ton of potential"
Honestly, if it was like, Riot or Valve or even Blizzard, I could have seen this actually happening for lulz since several of their PR tends to meme on social medias.

Nintendo? Not in the slightest lol.
Honestly, when I started this topic, I was mostly complaining about the attitude of people online. The stuff was just fresh and I wasn't expecting the blowup it had.

Now that my youtube feed is infested by stuff about Palworld, even I am starting to regret my life choices :row:
(Btw I actually agree with your opinion for what that matters)

Last edited:

I have a lot of take and I may get myself hunted as heretic by saying all these, but I'll just drop one take:

Honestly, I'd say let the companies sort it out, I'm curious if Nintendo will sue them and if they will win or possibly lose*. But it's not our place to be mad for them.

*Yes, face it, what the law says may not be the same as what "ethics" say, and so many others have also posited differently on "plagiarism" and other things and may call it legally distinct, even after watching the model comparisons. Let's leave all that to the court, not law graduates of University of Twitter. And that's if they wish to pursue lawsuit.

Don't try to moral grandstand for small artists, I am a small fanartist in circle of art friends myself, you're making me shamefully anxious.:pikuh:

Can we actually talk about Pokémon?
How dare you have a sane and mature take! We should all be personally invested in this fight that has only tangential relation to most of us. This will destroy our favorite franchise/be a great fight against evil corporations/I just hate Pokemon because of dexit so fuck them. :mad:

In all seriousness, if you have strong thoughts about this and you don't have some sort of horse in it, it really doesn't matter. There is a major lack of touching grass on all sides here. We just need to chill and let the powers that be work things through.

How dare you have a sane and mature take! We should all be personally invested in this fight that has only tangential relation to most of us. This will destroy our favorite franchise/be a great fight against evil corporations/I just hate Pokemon because of dexit so fuck them. :mad:

In all seriousness, if you have strong thoughts about this and you don't have some sort of horse in it, it really doesn't matter. There is a major lack of touching grass on all sides here. We just need to chill and let the powers that be work things through.
Nah, because it is a real issue that the general public is okay with a plagiarizing asset flip. That's a bad look for the medium as a whole.

If you don't want to be in these conversations, that's fine, but trying to shut them down doesn't make you superior or more rational.

Nah, because it is a real issue that the general public is okay with a plagiarizing asset flip. That's a bad look for the medium as a whole.

If you don't want to be in these conversations, that's fine, but trying to shut them down doesn't make you superior or more rational.
Here's my other take, and I'm atheist from Arceus by now.

Palworld satirises not just Pokémon, but the Mon genre as a whole and its values (love your partner, that kind of thing), so they take the representative artstyle and design philosophy. They butcher the genre to mockery in such audacious manner, I can't be mad over that. And remember, no corporation can copyright artstyle.
The supposed asset flips are to be discussed in court if they wish, I'm also waiting for that eagerly, but I'll not second guess whether they will 100% or lose. People has raised that probability and byofrog is hardly unbiased as other forums dissected his comparison videos.

This is all pretend issue. Look at Hogwarts Legacy again and how does that help the ideological movement other than painting yourself as big target? And Pokémon fandom has cried wolf so many times, this actual wolf of clone appears and nobody cares now. It's karma that Pokémon fandom has piled up, and you're tainting the actual anti AI Art movement or anything supposedly for artist in this.
No, they did NFT and it went nowhere. Square Enix did too, what other lawn grown CEO don't?

My (also fan) art friend circle actually clowned the fan artists who goes against this game for that "plagiarism", pretending that Palworld is a problem and their merch shop isn't. To paraphrase my senpai: "aka a big fucking hypocrite."
I know how fanworks work, free exposure for IP we love, yadda yadda, but I know to be self aware in this.
Corporations won't love you, you don't need to defend them, let them sort this thing out themselves. Nor you need to chase this virtue signalling scraps. None of you (and I also include the other side, I have seen how vicious the counter is) look rational right now (and heck, by caving in, I don't either. Altissimo in OI server actually called me out on that).

... I should be drawing rockpuppy Iwanko right now.
Oh, and no, I don't plan to buy the game, I think it's not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

I could have phrased my point better. If you're going on about this because of the blatant plagiarism and artistic integrity as a whole, that is a perfectly good reason to complain about this. This whole thing is honestly pretty scummy and even if it was for the lulz, there is a part of me conflicted about buying and supporting this behavior even ironically. It belittles art from a creative standpoint and a business standpoint.

It's the people who treat this as a team sport who the scorn is for. If you are just against this because it is stealing from Pokémon and that is your reason for it, that is childish. The franchise has it's own lawyers who can protect it from this blatant theft. It doesn't need the fans to be personally offended for it. On the same ground, the people who support it because it is stealing from Pokémon because they don't like the franchise are just as childish. Yes, what Palworld has done is almost certainly illegal, and if you don't care because you think "big franchise means anything to hurt it is OK," well these guys look like they're doing the same thing to Hollow Knight which doesn't have the same corporate backing behind it. It is abjectly terrible, and frankly these guys do deserve any lawsuits they get.

The main thing is it isn't a fight much of us have a personal stake in. If you do, and I would say connection with artists who understandably are miffed at such a major plagiarism case, then yeah, go right ahead. If not, I'd say save your outrage for other fights.

Also anyone who says it's just art style copying should just look at some of the models and comparisons artists made on Twitter. It's not. It's blatant theft in some cases. Edit: Apparently there's been some modification of those models by those artists, so this might actually might not be the case that it was blatant plagiarism. Double Edit: Wait, it's just scaling? Unless they modify the proportions that doesn't matter. Ignore what I said. It's still plagiarism.

Last edited:
Palworld satirises not just Pokémon, but the Mon genre as a whole and its values (
It's not a parody. The developers have gone on record that it's not a parody. Also, they're releasing a Hollow Knight clone that- you might have guessed this one- has a base builder next quarter. Where is the parody there? Where was the parody in Craftopia?

The idea that Palworld is parody is just make believe. It's literally just bullshitting lmfao, I played Palworld and the game isn't some derivative piece aimed at dissecting the concepts of Pokemon. It's just Ark with a Pokemon mod + some Rimworld.

This is all pretend issue. Look at Hogwarts Legacy again and how does that help the ideological movement other than painting yourself as big target?
Acting like people shitting on Hogwarts was a bad thing is funny to me, you're just making it even harder for me to care about what you're saying.
My (also fan) art friend circle actually clowned the fan artists who goes against this game for that "plagiarism", pretending that Palworld is a problem and their merch shop isn't. To paraphrase my senpai: "aka a big fucking hypocrite."
None of this makes sense. For one, fanart is not plagiarism, it's actually the opposite of what Pocket Pair did. Plagiarism is not taking a character and redrawing it and advertising it as a redraw of said character, it's changing the character 10% and claiming it's your original work. Which is implied when you publish a work, for any smartass that will say "teehee well they didn't say 'we did it all!' in some article".
Corporations won't love you, you don't need to defend them, let them sort this thing out themselves.
I do not care about the well-being of Game Freak, The Pokemon Company, or Nintendo. I do not care about the bad faith interpretation that being against Palworld is jumping at some legal defense or something.
Nor you need to chase this virtue signalling scraps.
"virtue signalling" "Look at Hogwarts again" starting to get a pretty good look at the certified "Palworld Defender".

and you're tainting the actual anti AI Art movement or anything supposedly for artist in this.
me when I'm just saying shit

I also think it's funny that your proof that fan artists don't take issue with plagiarism is your said-to-be fan artist group who all got mad at fanartists publicly saying it's bad. Like, even in that scenario, you are admitting quite a few fanartists think it's bad.

And no, that doesn't keep things ambiguous, some people are just wrong.

I think it's funny that some people like you just claim to be like "ooh stop trying to protect the companies" while you are gesturing wildly at Hogwarts too, you are very much "for the love of God don't criticize the companies!!!" lmfaooo.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I think I stand with at least some other people when I say that I probably don't know enough about Palworld and even if I did, I don't have too much interest in talking about it beyond a post I already made elsewhere on the forums. This is Smogon Forums, not insert Pal name here Forums, after all. That doesn't mean we can't draw connections between Pokémon and something that was at least partially inspired by it.

The most likely way I see this playing out isn't with any lawsuits, but with the much more simple solution of "Palworld isn't going to be accepted for a hypothetical Nintendo port in the future". Simple as that. Especially with discussions around Nintendo's future hardware still being prominent in the news, I would imagine that regardless of the plagiarism allegations, they wouldn't want a game that's inspired by Pokémon but has actual loaded weaponry among other things to be avaliable on the same platform(s) as the actual Pokémon franchise's games. The idea, of course, being that they wouldn't want anyone in Pokémon's (supposedly) target audience- that is to say, young children- to accidentally stumble upon this game instead, whether it be by accident or on purpose.

For the sake of discussion, though, let's say Pokémon and/or Nintendo does eventually take legal action against... whatever the company's name is, I legitimately have never heard of them before this game launched. I can only handle talking or even hearing so much about AI before I have to tell myself to leave the room in an effort to keep my mental wellness in a positive state, but there would be a number of questions to ask here. Was generative AI ever actually used? If so, what evidence exists to support it? Regardless of if AI was used, is there any evidence of potential wireframe plagiarism from Pokémon or any of Nintendo's other I.Ps for the sake of other games the company made prior to Palworld? And through all of this, is the character design of Palworld's characters and game world, quote, "different enough" to allow Palworld's developers to argue Fair Use in the court of law? Like I said, I don't want to talk about this more than I feel is necessary, but regardless of that, these are all questions I don't feel I have nearly enough information or education regarding this matter to answer. I feel confident in saying other people can and will know more about this discussion than myself, and me continuing this post would be a direct insult to their knowledge and research.

Honestly it is rather telling how commonly Palworld is defended as a parody of Pokémon when that's contradictory to official statements saying it's not a parody, literally word for word. That's a fairly critical failure on the part of the developers if they weren't trying to parody Pokémon, yet are commonly seen as doing so despite that genuinely not actually being the intent behind the game. It's not supposed to be a parody...but it looks like one anyway.

It's not a parody. The developers have gone on record that it's not a parody. Also, they're releasing a Hollow Knight clone that- you might have guessed this one- has a base builder next quarter. Where is the parody there? Where was the parody in Craftopia?

The idea that Palworld is parody is just make believe. It's literally just bullshitting lmfao, I played Palworld and the game isn't some derivative piece aimed at dissecting the concepts of Pokemon. It's just Ark with a Pokemon mod + some Rimworld.

Acting like people shitting on Hogwarts was a bad thing is funny to me, you're just making it even harder for me to care about what you're saying.

None of this makes sense. For one, fanart is not plagiarism, it's actually the opposite of what Pocket Pair did. Plagiarism is not taking a character and redrawing it and advertising it as a redraw of said character, it's changing the character 10% and claiming it's your original work. Which is implied when you publish a work, for any smartass that will say "teehee well they didn't say 'we did it all!' in some article".

I do not care about the well-being of Game Freak, The Pokemon Company, or Nintendo. I do not care about the bad faith interpretation that being against Palworld is jumping at some legal defense or something.

"virtue signalling" "Look at Hogwarts again" starting to get a pretty good look at the certified "Palworld Defender".

me when I'm just saying shit

I also think it's funny that your proof that fan artists don't take issue with plagiarism is your said-to-be fan artist group who all got mad at fanartists publicly saying it's bad. Like, even in that scenario, you are admitting quite a few fanartists think it's bad.

And no, that doesn't keep things ambiguous, some people are just wrong.

I think it's funny that some people like you just claim to be like "ooh stop trying to protect the companies" while you are gesturing wildly at Hogwarts too, you are very much "for the love of God don't criticize the companies!!!" lmfaooo.
I didn't say it's parody to Pokémon. I said it's satirising the whole Mon genre and tropes, which Pokémon happens to monopolise, be it affectionately or deconstructively (it's looking like both as there are consequences if you do indulge in those things). They don't need explicit confirmation to say they are deconstructing the whole premise of a trope, Puella Magica Madoka didn't need to point out they satirised magical girl genre. Those that take these at face value are showing that their Mon virtue that Pokémon has instilled so much is being challenged. And no, I didn't use the parody argument as excuse to the copying (the law system is different to begin with), I'm using it to attack those virtues that sent people with torches and pitchforks.

Right now, I see that people took the AI accusations without enough proof. This has become tribalistic toxicity that I should've expected but somehow didn't. With how past debates like this spanning decades ago with Digimon and so on, I say, you all cried wolf too much. These people never learnt, and has the gall to append actual issue this time.

My art friends don't really care about it, while I chose to wait if there's interesting development in legality as it does intrigue me. But at least we know to have our place and not grandstanding without actual moral ground. Something others forgot to check in this insanity.
I said those two points because first, it's counterproductive to what you claim you fight for, and second, you look foolish that someone in OI server had to drop the term "sheeple" to me (I'm not EN native btw).

Whether it's "wrong" or not are to be decided in the court. I have studied thesis writing (and wrote two, even) and learnt about plagiarism and I think this legally looks not as cut and dry as it seems, but I'll wait for the court. Unlike many other people apparently.

And yes, you said shit. Steam requires them to disclose any use of AI in their games, particularly genAI. The most oft-quoted "evidence" to this is the CEO showing amazement at BuzzFeed using Midjourney to make fakemons. Nevermind that tweet is 6 months after the first trailer. I hate "AI" Art (it's not even intelligent) and can go to ramble about all these things that would be so off-topic, but this is why I said those, as these people made up things or not ascertain closer just to piss on.

If you are only going to throw "Palworld Defender" as insult, we are not going to see in same grounds. This is why fandoms can't have nice things. I feel so ashamed I'm drawing my basic kawaii scraps for this fandom when it's so toxic the Psychic Z Move "Light That Burns The Sky" can't remove it.
Also anyone who says it's just art style copying should just look at some of the models and comparisons artists made on Twitter. It's not. It's blatant theft in some cases.
It gets even better now that the one making first comparison accusing PW for that "blatant theft" is outed for having scaled the models manually to fit it.

Last edited:
I didn't buy Palworld and I don't think I will have the time to play/pay for it, but I'm so happy that others companies try to use the concept of Pokemon + other game (What I've heard, it's a mix between Pokemon + Arc + Fortnite construction ?), so MAYBE Game Freak / Nintendo will start to use your brain to improve the game.

I don't need 9 generations of game tell me that Evil team is bad (Team Star a bit different), being kind is normal. We need a revolution, Legend Arceus & Scarlet / Violet (despite some huge flaws) did go in a right direction, but we need more. Much more. As a reminder, Pokemon is the biggest franchise in a world when we talk about money. Better than Star Wars, Mario Bros, Mickey Mouse, Harry Potter and others.

I think that move renaming as a whole is a little thing that annoys me more than it should.

Since gen 1, we had the moves Intimidation (Glare) and Ténèbres (Night Shade). In gen 2, they added the Dark Type (Ténèbres in French) m. In gen 3, they added abilities, including Intimidation (Intimidate).

Then years after in generation 6, they decided that it was too confusing, renaming them into Regard Médusant (Astonishing Glare) and Ombre Nocturne (Night Shadow).
Those were okay translations I guess. I understand the need and Regard Médusant is a great name at least for the pun.

But in gen 8, they did a couple of renaming for... No reason? At least I can't find any. And the names became terrible. Worst offenders are Fléau which became Gigotage (from Flail to Wriggling) and especially Vol-Vie (Absorb) which became Vole-Vie (from Life Theft to Steals Life). The conjugaison was not needed, it sounds worst, and every time I read it, it just looks like they made a typo.
Funny I found this because I can't find anyone else mentioning the change from Fléau to Gigotage. I believe that the change was made because Fléau was a mistranslation of the English move. Flail in english can refer to the weapon (Fléau) but Flail also means to wave or swing wildly. This action is what the name is referring to in English, and not the weaopn. I think whoever translated the move into French originally thought it was referring to the weapon. I think they changed it to gigotage to reflect the intended definition. This is the only possible explanation I can come up with, seems wild they would wait 8 generations to change it.

Funny I found this because I can't find anyone else mentioning the change from Fléau to Gigotage. I believe that the change was made because Fléau was a mistranslation of the English move. Flail in english can refer to the weapon (Fléau) but Flail also means to wave or swing wildly. This action is what the name is referring to in English, and not the weaopn. I think whoever translated the move into French originally thought it was referring to the weapon. I think they changed it to gigotage to reflect the intended definition. This is the only possible explanation I can come up with, seems wild they would wait 8 generations to change it.
I mean in English gen 8 inexplicably changed Vice Grip to Vise Grip for no reason. In spite of the fact that it uses American spelling every where else and only the UK (and maybe Australia?) use vise instead of vice to refer to the tool.

I mean in English gen 8 inexplicably changed Vice Grip to Vise Grip for no reason. In spite of the fact that it uses American spelling every where else and only the UK (and maybe Australia?) use vise instead of vice to refer to the tool.
I promise I'm not following you to different threads to contradict you haha, but my understanding was that vise is the American spelling? I've only ever seen it in texts by American authors, at least, and when I went to check a couple of dictionaries, they both listed vise as the American spelling of vice. I also have this quote to back me up:

"In American English, a vice is an immoral habit or practice, and a vise is a tool with closable jaws for clamping things. But in British English, the tool is spelled like the sin: vice."
(Bryan A. Garner, Garner's Modern English Usage, 4th ed. Oxford University Press, 2016)

If it's not standard to you, then I imagine vise must be dying out in the US, with vice becoming the global standard, which makes it especially weird to bother changing Vice Grip so recently!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 15)