Other 1v1 DLC2 Crown Tundra Speculation Thread [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Recently, we received news about DLC2 Crown Tundra and you can find the official video here:

In addition, a list of the Pokemon that are confirmed in DLC2 Crown Tundra can be found in the following image:

For a list of all of the movepool changes, check out here. The most notable of these changes can be found in this post here as well. In addition, this post shows them by generation here. Finally, a list of DLC move tutor compatibility for unreleased Pokemon can be found here.

Here is a link to the tiermaker with all of the new relevant Pokemon (do note: it is missing some alternate forms of Pokemon being released, so feel free to discuss them in posts independently of your tier list if you would like to).

Some topics for discussion for those interested in posting are:
  • Which Pokemon do you think will be broken?
  • Which Pokemon do you think are being overrated?
  • Which Pokemon are you most excited to see returning?
  • Which currently released Pokemon do you expect to improve?
  • Would you go Chomper here?
  • What else are you excited about? What are you worried about? And what other observations do you have?
I hope everyone enjoys posting. Remember to adhere to normal forum rules!

pqs

Banned deucer.
With DLC less than a month away I wanted to talk about the new old Pokemon joining. For reference, this list below is all of the full evolution of the Pokemon confirmed to be returning.
1601682877760.png

I stole made a tiermaker if anyone else wants to make one here is the template, but this is my personal opinion on the mons and why.

1601682869509.png

Quickbanned Uber:
n/a

Top tier:
Multiscale is just such a fantastic ability that in tandem with its amazing movepool and options make it one of the most versatile Pokemon in the tier. Oh and did I mention that it gets Dual Wingbeat in this gen #nomorefly
I think its typing is just perfect for the meta, it's the Steel-type SS 1v1 really needs, in tandem with a Fire-typing which is great for opposing Steels and is just generally really nice.
Victini has always been a metagame staple in any gen it's been allowed in due to its strong versatility and very good stat spread of 100 across the board letting it run a myriad of moves and EV spreads. I think it'll be great due to how de power crept SS is and how techable Victini is just because of its raw stats and movepool. It also gets Encore and Scorching Sands in this gen, notably.
Like the other top tiers, just an insanely versatile threat, with more coverage than needed. Download is a crazy good ability that a lot of Pokemon need to EV for if they want to overcome it.
The two nukes of the meta. They get Rising Voltage and Expanding Force respectively now, which is a crazy threat to deal with. Though pretty linear compared to the rest of the Pokemon, they excel at the one thing they're meant to do: OHKO a shitton of stuff.

Pretty good:
Just does plain old Raikou stuff, Pressure stall with a great speed tier along with the option to run CM + attacks is just great, and it even got new moves this gen like Scald which could be interesting.
Pressure stall 2 but this time it's bulky instead of fast. Also has the ability to CM stall opponents if it wants to.
Super versatile, will probably be even better once Dragonite and Victini are out (hopefully).
Just plain old Registeel. Not much to say. Gets Body Press now which is cool.
Big Choice Specs nuke. I think Trick will be really nice in this meta for stallbreaking.
Big Choice Band nuke, with the added bonus of letting people get tourbanned again for saying the phrase.
I think this will be super anti meta with all the Steel and Fire types roaming around.
Grassy Glide + Play Rough is super epic tbh, Grassy Seed can make it tech a bunch of things and it can even beat Dragonite with the right spread.
Big nuke, Steel type is very nice as well.

Mid:
will add later

Probably has a niche:
will add later

Unviable:
not gonna explain this lol

Sanshokuinsumireko

I got the baddest bitches in anime
my-image (2).png

That look's good enough

Which Pokemon do you think will be broken?
Prob dnite

Which Pokemon do you think are being overrated?
IDK so i'm going to say blaziken or heatran.

Which Pokemon are you most excited to see returning?
archeops because I'm bored with durant.
Magmortar because now nolenot won't get 3 sleep turns on people.

Which currently released Pokemon do you expect to improve?
probably pult

Would you go Chomper here?
since it's getting scale shot I would happily go chomper into the dnite match up.

What else are you excited about? What are you worried about? And what other observations do you have?
My new sleep schedule.
My new sleep schedule.
my sleep schedule is going to be like zio's.

Here Comes Team Charm!

Perhaps the stars
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Encore Donphan seems really interesting: stall tends to be a hard counter to offensive Sturdy mons of any kind and it's nice to have something against those. I could even see an Encore/Rock Polish set getting use but at that point you're really spreading your moves thin.

My guess is that it'll be kinda bad on the first few days when people are still spamming rilla/ursh, then becomes great when koko/heatran/victini take over, and eventually settles down in some comfortable mid-tier niche when people figure out non-choiced sets for the new pokemon and ban koko.

clerica

fly me up to Jupiter
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dlc time! I'm not a fan of making tier lists for metas that haven't started yet so I'll just be focusing on the three mons I'm most excited to see that won't be banned
Note these include sample sets and I don't guarantee their viability or usefullness

Victini
Predicted Rank: S-
:ss/victini:
New Moves: Mega Punch, Mega Kick, Fire Spin, Swift, Power Swap, Guard Swap, Speed Swap, Mystical Fire, Baton Pass, Encore, Future Sight, Blaze Kick, Expanding Force, Scorching Sands,
Specs (Victini) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Blue Flare
- Psychic
- Scorching Sands/Other

Band (Victini) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt/Other

Shuca (Victini) @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 196 SpA / 80 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psychic
- Glaciate
- Encore
Victini is a mon that I think everyone is incredibly excited to see in gen 8. It benefitted immensely from the new movepool changes picking up Encore and Scorching Sands, both of which will be incredibly useful. Encore will be fantastic on non-choice sets, allowing it to lock any stall mon like Cress and wear it down. Scorching Sands provides Victini a special move to deal with Heatran, allowing Victini to invest less to beat Heatran which required quite a bit of investment in the past. I don't see this mon being broken at the start of dlc and it will like run choice items for the most part. However, as time goes on and the meta settles, I see it shifting from a pure offensive mon and utilizing its amazing bulk as well as its offensive prowess. One concern I do have is it could become a bit of a Jirachi situation when the meta finally settles. If Lele, Melmetal, and Dnite all get banned Victini will be the best mon in the meta in my opinion. As people begin to realize just how many options Victini has it could become a frightening mon to prep for and face in tours. Alas, we won't know until we get there so it stays in S- in my projected rankings.

Blaziken
Predicted Rank: A
:ss/blaziken:
New Moves: U-turn, Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Heat Crash, Coaching, Scorching Sands
Life Orb (Blaziken) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Bulk Up/Willo/Other

Liechi Reversal (Blaziken) @ Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Bulk Up/Endure

Mixed???? (Blaziken) @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Overheat
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Work Up
Blaziken is the mon I'm most personally excited about. Although it sadly doesn't get Dual wingbeat, Blaziken has an impressive movepool with moves like Brave Bird, Low Sweep, Counter, and Dual Chop to name a few of its offensive options alongside other support options as well. What I expect to see at the beginning is some kind of life orb set like the first one I listed. This is pretty standard and leaves options for tech 4th moves like the moves I mentioned above and will leave plenty of room for creativity. As time goes on I expect to see Blaziken become something like a fire type Zeraora in a sense. Doesn't have one set that is insane but can be teched for pretty much anything. Maybe that will come in set variety like the second set I listed or a surge in bulkier sets but only time can tell. The biggest issue I have with Blaziken is that it is kind of weak in terms of pure offensive power. Take for instance its matchup vs Melmetal (who I will get to later). In order to live a single hit from band adamant Melmetal Blaziken needs to either run 252 defense evs with Bulk Up or run 16 hp evs Will-O-Wisp. With the Bulk Up spread that is fine because you can ko back the following turn with a Flare Blitz. However, if Melmetal runs Iron Defense with Body Press you no longer ko it and you have to keep bulking up (or run Laser Focus like a chad) and Melmetal can just finish you off with a Body Press or two. With the Willo-O-Wisp set, you still fail to oko Melmetal the following turn reliably even with 252 adamant. Well, how do we beat Melmetal then? Mixed Blaziken! Overheat can easily take care of Melmetal and solve our problem. This is just an example of the issue with Blaziken. It's too weak to do everything it wants in one set so it has to get super techy to beat what it wants to beat. This doesn't make it bad at all and it will still have good overall sets just like Zeraora. It just won't be as insane as some of the other mons and that's why I'm keeping it in A in my rankings. It has the options to make it really good later on, but it will take someone special to unlock that potential.
Note: These are very VERY rough spreads and will likely not reflect the meta at all
252+ Atk Choice Band burned Melmetal Earthquake vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 258-304 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Melmetal Earthquake vs. +1 0 HP / 252 Def Blaziken: 254-300 (84.3 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 390-460 (82.6 - 97.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (Melmetal is at 94% after 1 burn turn)
+1 0+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 476-562 (100.8 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. +2 0 HP / 252+ Def Melmetal: 198-234 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 87.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Melmetal: 510-603 (107.5 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Latios
Predicted Rank: B+
:ss/latios:
New Moves: Psycho Cut, Mystical Fire, Air Slash, Breaking Swipe, Agility, Tri Attack, Baton Pass, Future Sight, Aura Sphere, Dual Wingbeat, Scale Shot
Specs (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Recover

Anti Genesect (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 216 SpA / 116 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Mystical Fire

Latios (M) @ Haban Berry
EVs: 64 Def / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Recover/Rest
I honestly don't know what to expect from this Latios this gen but it looks neat. With Trick being such a valuable tool this gen, expect to see a lot of specs sets with some combination of Trick, Draco Meteor, Psychic, and a fourth similar to the Rotoms and Gardevoir. What sets it apart though is its very good 130 base special attack (stronger than Hydreigon) which is paired well with its 110 speed which allows it to outspeed new threats like Chomper and Zapdos. What sets it apart from other trick users is it has a combination of solid bulk with all of its other great stats. Latios's good defensive stats allow it to be more flexible than most other Trick users. An example of this coming in handy is with the anti Genesect set I listed that utilizes this bulk and Mystical Fire to lure and beat Genesect for not much of a cost. Tech like this is where I see Latios getting interesting. Similar to Charm Gardevoir, I hope to see some bulkier setup options with Latios to give it that extra dimension. That's what the third set I listed hopes to be similar to. It outspeeds Garchomp with max special attack and the rest is dumped into defense. I adore using sets like these because they are often beat what were previously check while also adding that surprise factor to the mon on the preview. The set I listed is definitely not optimized in the slightest and likely isn't good but it's an example idea of what I hope to see in terms of variety between sets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a Brief Talk on Melmetal
:ss/melmetal:
Melmetal being back in the meta worries me a substantial amount. I've been talking with people quite a bit on whether or not Melmetal will be fine in the post dlc meta, and almost everyone I have talked to about this seems to agree that Melmetal is way too strong to be unbanned. What makes Melmetal amazing is its brute strength which revolves around Double Iron Bash. For those of you who do not remember this is a multi-hit steel move that combined has a total base power of 144 not including stab. This alone allows it to tear through anything that doesn't resist it as well as a good chunk of mons that do resist it. Additionally, Melmetal has access to other solid coverage options like Earthquake, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Superpower, and Darkest Lariat. On top of that, Melmetal also has an incredibly solid defensive stats that allow it to take hits from supereffective moves such as standard choice band Rhyperior, life orb Landorus, Sawk, and a variety of other mons that appear to check it. Essentially, to beat Melmetal you need to either use a fire type like Victini and Heatran or use some kind of steel type that can resist and 2ko it like Kartana or Urshifu. That may seem like a decent amount of checks at first glance, but keep in mind that its a very limited type of mon that can beat Melmetal. Similar to Magearna at the beginning of the first dlc where it warped the meta into Magearna+fire type+fire beater, Melmetal will do something similar with Melmetal+fire type+Melmetal check beater. So although we have Melmetal checks returning, most of Melmetal's checks can be countered by a similar group of mons. If Melmetal does in fact return, expect to see teambuilding being restricted to revolve around this which would severely limit the development of the meta when it is most important, especially if there is any chance of dlc 2 being in championships. Because of all of this Melmetal should stay out of dlc 2 and should stay banned.
0 Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 318-374 (67.5 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Analysis Spread Rhyperior)
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 422-498 (97.2 - 114.7%) -- approx. 87.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 64 Def Melmetal: 398-470 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sawk: 440-522 (151.2 - 179.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 244 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Melmetal: 398-471 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 424-500 (132.9 - 156.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 360-426 (76.2 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 484-572 (135.1 - 159.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 244 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Melmetal: 398-470 (84.3 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 344-408 (113.5 - 134.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Alright! These have been my thoughts on the three mons I'm most excited for this dlc. I would encourage all of you to make a similar post but I specifically challenge Nalei and Le Creme Brule to share their 3 most anticipated mons of dlc because I would love to hear what they have to say. It doesn't have to be much, I just want to know what exciting stuff we can expect to see from them. I also encourage them to challenge others to share their top 3 as well after they share their own to keep the discussion going n_n. That's it for now because it's way too late at night for me to be thinking. Bye!

Lastly, I would like to thank pqs for some of these sets and theorycrafting for these mons, zio for advice on how to write, and ExplodingDonkey for letting me flood his dms

Last edited:

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Man... I really got challenged by smely socks to comment on the DLC Metagame

Ok...
1. Heatran
Tier: SSSSSSS++++
Bro it's Heatran, it beats so much shit just base. U got shit like specs, balloon, scarf (with eruption [cringe] wtf). I think this will be a very strong pokemon in the metagame, maybe one of the best (don't correct me [i don't care enough])

2. Zapdos
Tier: SSSSSSSS++++-
Idt its as good as Heatran but this shit kinda shlaps, eerie impulse is poggies, also it has flying stab now.

3. Dragonite
Tier: B (Banned)
Bro... It's dnite in a meta w/o KyuB (free KyuB) and no megas and multiscale.

4. Entei
Tier: S
nvm this isnt 2v2, C+ / B-, decent fire option

5. Nidoqueen
Tier: Unranked
This pokemon is bad and u should just use nidoking or a better fat mon

6. Zygarde
Tier: Really good
We out here w dat MIXED technology (Please Ban Power Construct) Uh EZ ass Sludge Wave + TArrows or smn

7. Garchomp
Tier: Super really good
Bro it like lives fairy moves n u know kills them, also bodies like Heatran and Zapdos w some Swords Dance Technology

8. Kartana
Tier: Pretty good
It hits a lot of stuff really hard, and it has some solid matchups against prospective high tiers

9. Celesteela
Tier: Quite good
Stall and Semi Offensive both seem pretty good w/o Z moves in the game

10. Suicune
Tier: Quite nice
It's really fat man, got CM, got ways to kill things.

OK so now i'm done here. smely socks has to do 7 more because i'm angry, and uhhh D2TheW has to make 2 predictions / say 2 mons he's excited for (only 2 because i feel bad that he got xsc and nalei in ssnl)

D2TheW

Amadán
OK so now i'm done here. smely socks has to do 7 more because i'm angry, and uhhh D2TheW has to make 2 predictions / say 2 mons he's excited for (only 2 because i feel bad that he got xsc and nalei in ssnl)
OK

Returning mons:
Heatran
heatrans.png

Heatran is back baby and I can't wait. A phenomenal typing for the upcoming meta, obviously great stats and a movepool to match, Tran is gonna be as good as it always is. It beats strong returning mons like Lele and Bulu, current top tiers like Rilla and (most) pz and some returning banned mons like Toge, Rachi and (God forbid) mimikyu. It'll probably stick to its old air balloon set but scarf eruption sets (eruption doesn't require quiet nature anymore lets go) and other stuff like chople will probably be solid too. Tran will do what it always does, be a fantastic glue mon that can be specced for whatever you want.

The nidos
:nidoking: :nidoqueen:
The King and Queen are back let's go. Idc how viable they are, nido is always good and I can't be convinced otherwise.

Victini
:victini:
Yep Tini is gonna be fire

The tapus
:tapu koko: :tapu lele: :tapu bulu: :tapu fini:
Tapu koko is broko, rising voltage is an absolutely ridiculous nuke, cb sets have 2 great stabs and cc, it can also run shit like taunt, id, cm, charge and whatever else it wants lmfao.
Lele is similar, absurdly powerful with specs expanding force, scarf will be more than solid too and it can break stall with taunt and calm mind. Just stupid.
Bulu stronk, glide is helpful but whether it's better or worse than Rilla is hard to predict and will depend on the meta around it.
Fini is looking at the moves the other terrains got with envy, misty explosion lmfao. It's also got good competition with prim. Fini has taunt, bulk and speed but prim has far superior power with better spatk, torrent and hydro cannon. Fini will be fine but nowhere near the level of its siblings.

Dragonite
:dragonite:
Dnite is Dnite and Dnite is busted.

Mons in the current meta:
Ferrothorn
:Ferrothorn:
Ferro looking good, countering the fairies and most steels that want to check them.

Dragapult
:dragapult:
Pult will probably be one of the better dragons while ladder is spamming band koko, specs lele and band bulu, sub disabling as always. When more optimised sets are figured out though, its gonna dip again.

Urshifus
These guys are fucked lol, fun while it lasted.

Also, don't free melmetal thanks, tagging pazza and Potatochan to give their thoughts, mubs out

Thanks zio for convincing boat to do this
Haven't really played SS that much since Cinderace got its HA, but I'll give my take on what I believe will be four of the top 10 mons, in no particular order.
Keep in mind that my takes are probably as bad as my playing ability so...

The Four
:ss/dragonite:
:choice scarf: :choice band: :weakness policy::choice specs:
Dragonite doesn't have to deal with Mega Charizard X and Mega Gyarados at the expense of its best items. I think it'll use sets similar to what it does in ORAS, notably Choice and Weakness Policy. I'm personally a fan of Weakness Policy due to multiscale making it extremely difficult to take down without a Super-Effective move, and even then, it can tank most pretty handly. The threat of WP also makes resist berry sets even more formidable, as opponents might go Weak move -> SE Move and mispredicting the set. This can allow Dragonite to get a DD and two moves off. Overall a really good mon. Whether it'll be too much for the metagame to handle depends on what stays and what doesn't.

:ss/tapu lele:
:choice scarf::choice specs:
Yeah, Tapu Lele is stupid. Specs Expanding Force does almost as much as Psych-Z from last gen, and that's even with the Terrain Nerf. For the few moments it'll have in the metagame, I believe bulky scarf will be its best set. You don't really need SpA investment to 2HKO the majority of the metagame, which enables you to invest primarily in defenses to beat a great majority of the metagame. I wouldn't be surprised to see expansions to include CM and Resist Berry.

:ss/victini:
:choice specs::choice band::shuca berry:
Yeah, smely socks has convinced me how good this mon is. Movepool expansions along with Band V-Create taking lives is great. Choice Specs is also amazing due to its STABs, along with the new addition of Scorching Sands to combat Heatran. I'd like to see how this works out on release.

:ss/blaziken:
I predict like 15 sets lmao
There's a reason no one wants to unban this in ORAS. Blaziken is an extremely customizable mon that I believe, as the metagame progresses, will show itself to be a huge threat in tour. Great STABs, Speed Boost, and a plethora of different options. I can't wait to see how this adapts to a ladder environment.

Re: Day 0 Bans and Unbans:

I think I've expressed that I'm of the belief in handling these quite liberally, similar to how lower tiers have handled DLC drops. If there's a Pokemon that has a reasonable unban case, unban it or schedule a suspect for when the metagame is more developed. There has been consistent evidence in 1v1 and other tiers that Pokemon will never be considered again, especially if they never have been in the metagame prior. Of course, I'm not referring to Pokemon such as Lunala, a case of a Pokemon being obscenely broken on paper, or Mew, a pokemon that was obscenely broken in its time in the metagame along with the upcoming metagame giving hardly, if any good justification to give it a second shot. I'm talking about Pokemon such as Melmetal, Marshadow, and Zygarde-Complete. Sure, they could be broken, but there's always a chance they won't be, and it doesn't hurt to give them that chance. It's been quite evident that matchup charting and "[Gen 8] 1v1 + (Insert Banned mon here) Tournaments" will never give the full picture as to how a Pokemon will fare on a ladder. We don't have any tournaments that'll include DLC2 for a while, so worst-case scenario, the quickban slate gets extended another week or two, which I personally don't feel is a bad thing.

Here's are some other things I'll drop:
/tour create gen81v1, elimination,,2, [Gen 8] 1v1 DLC2 Prototype Tournament
/tour rules !Obtainable Moves, +Nidoran-Male, +Nidoran-Female, +Nidorina, +Nidorino, +Nidoking, +Nidoqueen, +Zubat, +Golbat, +Jynx, +Electabuzz, +Magmar, +Omanyte, +Omastar, +Kabuto, +Kabutops, +Aerodactyl, +Articuno, +Zapdos, +Moltres, +Dratini, +Dragonair, +Dragonite, +Crobat, +Smoochum, +Elekid, +Magby, +Raikou, +Entei, +Suicune, +Treecko, +Grovyle, +Sceptile, +Torchic, +Combusken, +Blaziken, +Mudkip, +Marshtomp, +Swampert, +Beldum, +Metang, +Metagross, +Regirock, +Regice, +Registeel, +Latias, +Latios, +Spiritomb, +Gible, +Gabite, +Garchomp, +Aron, +Lairon, +Aggron, +Swablu, +Altaria, +Lileep, +Cradily, +Anorith, +Armaldo, +Absol, +Spheal, +Sealeo, +Walrein, +Relicanth, +Bagon, +Shelgon, +Salamence, +Electivire, +Magmortar, +Uxie, +Mesprit, +Azelf, +Heatran, +Regigigas, +Cresselia, +Victini, +Audino, +Tirtouga, +Carracosta, +Archen, +Archeops, +Cryogonal, +Tornadus, +Thundurus, +Landorus, +Genesect, +Tyrunt, +Tyrantrum, +Amaura, +Aurorus, +Carbink, +Zygarde, +Diancie, +Volcanion, +Tapu Koko, +Tapu Lele, +Tapu Fini, +Tapu Bulu, +Nihilego, +Buzzwole, +Pheromosa, +Xurkitree, +Celesteela, +Kartana, +Guzzlord, +Poipole, +Naganadel, +Stakataka, +Blacephalon
/wall **Check https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-dlc2-crown-tundra-speculation-thread-spoilers.3671341/ for all the information about DLC2 and the new moves.**
/wall **Please DO NOT bring moves pokemon do not naturally learn / don’t newly learn in the DLC. I will disqualify you if you do.**

Anyway, shoutouts 2v2MR. As always, thanks for reading and have a nice day. Mubs out.

pazza

Banned deucer.
let me play pokemmo in peace bruv
D2TheW
1601993240889.png

TITANS
:dragonite: - Dragonite is back and some could argue even better than it was in SM. Gaining actually Flying-type STAB within Dual Wingbeat makes it a whole lot better and allows Choice Band Dragonite to beat Sturdy Pokemon such as Sawk. Multiscale is an incredible ability that allows Dragonite to tank about almost anything, and in SWSH the power creep lowered since no more Megas or Z-Moves, making Dragonite even harder to kill. It has a wide movepool, great stats, and an amazing ability. Dragonite will either be suspected and banned or a top tier mon.

:victini:- Victini is cool. Now it can Encore so it can break through some stall pokemon. Can still run Choice Band/Specs/Scarf sets or even something like Passho or Shuca Berry sets as lures. I'm excited to Victini in the meta.

:Blaziken: - Blaziken has a great movepool and pretty epic ability of Speed Boost. I don't think it'll be broken, but it will be interesting to see how it can use Speed Boost to deal with the Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko. Finally this thing got CC so I don't need to miss HJK anymore kek. Will be fun to use this mon.

:Tapu-Koko:- shit is busted. There is like 0 Electric resists in this meta and all of them are Dragon-types which get murked by Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam or Iron Defense Shuca Berry. Tapu Koko is just too fast and hits really hard. Gaining Physical STAB and Close Combat helps it out a lot allowing it to run a Physical set. Voltage Rising is actually insane and hits even harder than Electrum Z with Choice Specs. Hopefully this thing gets either Quickbanned or suspected early.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Abomasnow in Electric Terrain: 180-213 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Abomasnow in Electric Terrain: 204-240 (63.5 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Tapu-Lele:- Pretty linear mon, basically just runs Specs/Scarf and Expanding Force to blow up shit. Moonblast uses to own Dark-types and Focus Blast for Steel-types or maybe some sort of Charm Babiri set with Reflect? Idk, I don't think Lele is as busted as Koko since it only has 1 set tbh.

some cool stuff I noticed

:Heatran: - Heatran going to be really good with all of the Tapu's being top tier, Rillaboom still being good, and being a Fire-type so it can own Registeel. Can run a variant items from Specs, Scarf, Shuca, Balloon, you name it Heatran can use it.

:Cresselia: - Woo I'm super pumped about this thing since it gets Cosmic Power AND Stored Power. A stall mon that actually has offensive pressure?? Will be cool after the meta settles down.

:Garchomp: - pog...

:Registeel: - There's like what 2 or 3 viable Fire-types in the meta? Registeel will be good af

:zapdos: :suicune: :enteI: :Moltres: :aerodactyl: :raikou: - The PP stallers are back. They might be good since Gen8 is kinda similiar to the old gens since there aren't Z-Moves or Mega Evolutions, so if you aren't running a resist berry, your prolly running a Choice item.

to end this post I have realized that 0 council members have made a post here yet pog. Nalei Waylaid :psyangry: (and the others but i forgot whose on council lol)

ok lads here for a quickie. Happy to see discussion of DLC, I have some add both on other posts and my comments on how the meta looks. Perserving a proper mega post for when the tier is actually formed.

my sleep schedule is going to be like zio's.
:v4:I wish you luck brave soldier

stop asking me to make a post everyone will make fun of me for saying dnite and lele should be free
you are correct, I'll touch on both later and while I think lele is p disputable at least atm dnite is crazy

:Victini: I want to agree w/ the general hype of Victini. It's gonna run rampant in this meta killing base 100s w/ proper bulk investment is the most annoying shit ever. I feel like if it really wants to it can beat almost anything albeit it can't run everything at once so there will be a fair amount of opportunity cost in switching shit up, seems insane tho.

:Blaziken: Ugly pokemon. At least until bans, just feels super susceptible to cheese but I won't deny it'll be p good once stuff settles. At least when the meta drops and people are spamming dnite vic lele cress necro chomper it'll have a rough time. Once shit settles who knows but I'm still skeptical, that typing isn't the greatest in terms of bulking hits and 120/110 offenses won't be scoring many non-super effective OHKOs. I think it'll be tech city which ig is personal opinion if you think those mons are good or bad but personally, I prefer reliability over banking on MU.

aight some quick thoughts of my own on shit I don't want in the tier very long.

:Dragonite: This mon is way better than it was in previous gens. There's no megas which is super helpful for it, no more mdos, mmaw, mgard, or mgross. In gen 5 kyub has like 5,000,00% usage, for the love of god please look at kyub in bw Kaif. In gen 4 it doesn't have Multiscale. Shit can no longer drop it w/ Icium or similar z-moves. It also got Dual Wingbeat giving it proper physical flying stab which is quite ludicrous. Overall the meta looks super kind to Dragonite there's not really much that impedes it and it can get over most of what impedes it. There are two ways to beat Dnite a majority of the time imo w/o being reliant on the mon meant to beating it and they are the following.
a) stall it. dd is usually not going to be enough to deal w/ beasts such as cress/regi
b) speed control. dropping dnite's speed gives you an opportunity to KO dnite while also dodging a potential 2HKO.
I find issue w/ these two solutions tho. Stall is p bad in SS. Trick/Taunt are around every corner and you also have shit that obliterates it like Urshi-SS. This leaves w/ two options, go w/ some sort of speed control or specifically tailor smth to dnite. Both are not going to be very useful outside of beating dnite which to me screams it's a horrible presence for the tier. People talk about the influx of new fairies but I think you have to account for the fact some don't even win.
:Primarina: 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 212 Def Primarina: 218-260 (60 - 71.6%) -- approx. 2HKO 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Primarina: 240-284 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Primarina: 192-228 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- approx. 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (96, 97, 99, 99, 100, 102, 103, 103, 105, 106, 108, 108, 109, 111, 112, 114) you'll need icy wind
:Togekiss: clicking counter should just win w/o an ih flinch
:Sylveon: 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 418-492 (106 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO and you need min 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Sylveon: 332-392 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO for it to not be a roll, should just come down to yawn turns but this MU is anything but reliable, smth to keep in mind.
:Azumarill: 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 12 Def Azumarill: 260-308 (64.3 - 76.2%) -- approx. 2HKO 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 24 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 279-328 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO however charm should win unless you come across ghandi special dnite/get crit/super high rolls w/ tpunch
:Gardevior: Has to be wary of WP/band since +2 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 278-328 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (meaning any move that breaks multiscale followed by an espeed wins) and band kills w/ two espeeds even through traced multi, scarf vs scarf comes down to a speed tie
:Tapu Koko: Koko walls you w/ seed/id/ballon otherwise it will be catching an eq
:Tapu Lele: will not be taking an iron head w/o fair investment and even w/ fair invest wp smashes you
:Tapu Bulu: You have to run bulky seeds w/ rock tomb which still gets smashed by special/decrept wp
:Tapu Fini: should win? I honestly have no clue what fini will run w/o z so this one we'll have to see

overall seems like the meta has to bend over backwards to beat dnite and I'm not a huge fan of that. Expect a proper post at some point if I feel the same when DLC drops

:Melmetal: yuh it's just so hard to kill and it's absurdly strong. gonna piggy back off smely socks 's post and say that this mon is absurd and should not remain in the tier.

various other stuff

:Necrozma: free my boy it has hella counterplay now :pray: mainly urshi-ss, everything getting eerie impulse, pressure stall w/ cm being a hard wall to both stall+specs it's not hard to check in building.

:Suicune: :Raikou: :Zapdos: I think Pressure stall will be decent, probably w/ Raikou as the best since it doesn't really rely on Pressure as much. These mons look clean.

aight brief post as I said, peace

5 minute post cos i’m bored
don’t expect it to be good

Which Pokemon do you think will be broken? Ubers stuff and idk we‘ll need to see if something like Lele is actually op
Which Pokemon do you think are being overrated? Not sure yet but i think Heatran will be great and used a lot and Registeel will always be critbait but yeah not necessarily overrated.
Which Pokemon are you most excited to see returning? Heatran Registeel Koko Blaziken
Which currently released Pokemon do you expect to improve? Probably pult as d2 said but yeah the meta’s gonna completely shift
Would you go Chomper here? My brain not capable of answering such a question
What else are you excited about? What are you worried about? And what other observations do you have?
I am very happy about the soon to be 50+% dnite usage. Also worried about the same thing. lol

1602177411589.png

made a few updates ^

Just want to start out by saying I am super excited for post dlc and I’m gonna grind the shit out of the ladder. Anyway on to my ranking.

S TIER

:Dragonite: This thing is going to be a beast. The set I’m going to run the most is weakness policy dragon dance. This set is going to plow through like, everything that doesn’t resist it. Of course band and scarf are going to be viable too but wp dd is going to wreck havoc.

:Garchomp: I was thinking of putting this in the tier below but I settled for top tier. I think it’s going to be the same as sm apart from SD Z Crystal but sd will still be solid. Scarf and Band are going to be amazing like always and I think it’s pretty self explanatory why this will be good.

:Victini: Yes, I am part of the Smely Victini train. I’m convinced after bans settle Victini will be at the top of the metagame once bans settle. Band is gonna be crazy with V-Create and Bolt Strike stuff. Not to mention it can stall break with taunt sets. Overall just a beast.

:Tapu Koko: Just like Chomper I was on the fence about koko. Yes, I know that it can deal monstrous damage to like, everything but the thing is, the other Tapus are going to be everywhere as well. Being the fastest Tapu, it won’t get its terrain up some unless of course you’re up against scarf lele. But this won’t be too much of a hindrance considering it’s damage output.

:Tapu Lele: I think this will be the best pokemon in the metagame and possibly the first one to be banned. Pretty self explanatory with scarf and specs expnading force yatta yatta yatta.

A+ TIER

:Melmetal: This thing wasn’t on pqutie’s tier maker so I blame him. Anyways, this thing bolsters insanely high attack and defense and I think AV is going to be a nightmare to kill. It’s also great counterplay to the tapus outside of like specs koko because haha funny iron bash go brrr. But this thing is definitely counterable with things like Victini, Lando Incarnate, and just overall special threats that can hit it super effectively.

:Landorus: Disclaimer: LANDORUS THERIAN ISN'T CONFIRMED YET STOP USING IT IN PROTOTYPE TOURS. With that out of the way Landorus has easily shot up to number 1 on my list for anti-meta threats. With all of the steels and fires roaming this thing is a frickin beast. Not to mention scarf sludge wave can beat all of the tapus including scarf koko so thats great. It likes to run Scarf or Lorb mostly but specs can work if you have an answer to scarf lele on your team. Too bad it doesnt get like hurricane but I feel like I’d get tilted just clicking it and besides I haven’t really come across an mu where I was like “Aw dag! Wish I had hurricane!”. I think this thing will be n S-Tier by the time bans are settled as it’s great counterplay to non-shuca victini. I’m also going to use this on like 70% of my teams :eyes:

I might add some more mini analysis’s later but for now that’s all.

ik it makes ppl mad that registeel is in such a low tier. ill THINK about moving up once i see what it can do.

fr tho i kinda wanna be a part of the vr council (don’t tell anyone)

Last edited:

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey hey, let's talk about Tapu Lele!

I personally think that Tapu Lele will be a very good Pokemon utilising a Bulky set that allows it to beat stuff like CB Garchomp and Specs Landorus.

Ok, I really don't see why people think Blaziken is going to be so good. It has to deal with the Tapu Koko it doesnt kill, the Zygarde it can't, the Dnite that OHKOs it, and the lele, victini, garchomp, and suicune that take fat dookies on it.

tagging smely socks

Hey hey, let's talk about Tapu Lele!

I personally think that Tapu Lele will be a very good Pokemon utilising a Bulky set that allows it to beat stuff like CB Garchomp and Specs Landorus.

Ok, I really don't see why people think Blaziken is going to be so good. It has to deal with the Tapu Koko it doesnt kill, the Zygarde it can't, the Dnite that OHKOs it, and the lele, victini, garchomp, and suicune that take fat dookies on it.

tagging smely socks
how long did it take you to type that?

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Don't really have much of anything to do nowadays so I figured I'd take a crack at theorycrafting the DLC2 meta. Bear in mind of course there's no telling what the galar birds and regis could entail, as well as anything else they might be keeping hidden from us.

Starting off, the returning mons:
No formatting = viable but not dominant
Red strikethrough = falls off
Green strikethrough = won't be used immediately but may become viable later on
Blue circle = dominant
Blue question mark = possibly dominant

1602387606841.png

- :dragonite: No surprise here, Dragonite reigns supreme with its new Flying STAB, as well as a plethora of sets to choose from.
- :aggron: This one seems to be more of a hot take so I'll explain: basically band just kos everything. Not only that, but you also have the option to act as an antistall with Taunt. I don't think it'll take long for players to adjust to it, nor do I think it'll necessarily be the very top of the meta, but I'm confident it will do great.
- :latias: Latias has the resources to both ko things, stall, and screw things over with Trick. It has the full package to take on just about anything it wants. The only issue is that it naturally experiences a lot of opportunity cost to switch between each set. Because of this, I feel it'll be more of a tour threat than a ladder threat.
- :victini: Another Pokemon that can do just about anything it wants. Not really much of a surprise to anyone so I won't go in depth here.
- :genesect: While most would say it is easy to Download-proof mons, I'm thinking physical Genesect will actually have some decent merit to it, thanks to Extremespeed no longer being locked to Hasty. Additionally, I think the nature of the meta will allow it to expand out to sets besides your average choice options, though I'm sure early on that choice will be pretty much all that's used. Ultimately, I feel Genesect will be assuredly great, though I think it'll be more of a slow burn before people bring out its full potential.
- :tapu koko: To nobody's surprise, Tapu Koko will absolutely be a dominant presence in the meta. Similar to Latias, it has all the resources to successfully operate under just about any archetype it wants, though Koko of course has the added benefit of Electric Surge providing it that extra kick to make Specs Rising Voltage hit just about as hard as the cursed Z-Thunder of its time in SM. Whether or not it's something that will need to be banned is something that will have to be seen; I would imagine it'll bank on how much people do their best to develop it into something banworthy.
- :metagross: Metagross is an interesting one. With exceptionally tanky stats, the freedom to run almost any item of its choosing, and a wide variety of moves at its disposal, I can foresee this Pokemon keeping people on their toes. That said, similar to Latias, it suffers from considerable opportunity cost when choosing between each set, in addition to not really having as great of a set of resources to fill as many archetypes as Latias can. Ultimately, it's one that I can see doing well, particularly in tournaments, but probably won't dominate the meta by any means.
- :garchomp: Garchomp's a killer mon with a great speed tier and a newfound (viable) multihit + speed control move with Scale Shot, as well as a great appreciation for the lack of HP Ice's existence. With that said, it's understandably not as versatile as many of the above mons, and will more than likely fluctuate in viability based on how the meta develops around it, so realistically it'll be one to keep an eye on, but not necessarily fear.
- :archeops: Basically just what Archeops does in every gen, but with Dual Wingbeat now. Similar to Aggron, I think it'll be relatively easy to adjust to it if you get sick of losing to it, but ofc the reason why Archeops isn't quite as assuredly good is because of the over-reliance on hitting Head Smash, as well as how easy it is to screw it over with a Scarf. You could always clap back with your own Scarf, but that comes at the expense of every KO you needed Band for.
- :landorus: Much like Garchomp, Landorus greatly appreciates HP Ice no longer existing. All things considered, however, I don't feel it will be significantly dominant; I feel that any attempts at building it will be spread too thin, trying to cover as much as you can in a single set, but never necessarily being able to cover all too much at once. The main reason I drew attention to this mon is rather for the Therian forme below.
- :landorus-therian: As usual, the dog is better than the man. The added power and Intimidate works wonders for Lando-T. All things considered, the options it has between Band, Scarf, AV, and setup all make it a tough Pokemon to account for. That said, much like Latias and Metagross, I can foresee Lando-T doing better in keeping people on their toes in tours, rather than being a scourge of the ladder.
- :pheromosa: Pheromosa's got it all; power, speed, and a killer set of moves to choose from. I can easily foresee people running Specs with Blizzard out of desperation to cover Dragonite, though physical sets all come with their share of benefits as well. While being checked by a Scarf is a major weakness, I can very feasibly see some (crazy) people running their own Scarf to get around them. Additionally, tactically bulked sets that make use of Lunge/Skitter Smack can take advantage of Pheromosa's deceptively bulky nature. In a sense, it's similar in potential to how I described Landorus-Therian.
- :kartana: Kartana just bops things as usual. This Pokemon will singlehandedly (swordedly?) force things to bulk up considerably on the physical end or die trying. Mostly die- Band alone already shreds near everything, but there's also the added setup factor with double dance, synthesis, and Sacred Sword bypassing defenses or Leaf Blade getting a crit sooner or later. My only concern that holds this mon back from being assuredly dominant is that it's also pretty susceptible to Scarves, and simultaneously not really that great at making use of its own Scarf.
- :naganadel: Naganadel is a Pokemon whom I have no doubt in my mind will thrive, though the main matter I foresee with this one is that it is rather one-dimensional. You're pretty much just using STABs + Fire Blast for everything. Not to mention going the setup route with Nasty Plot means you need to sacrifice one of your moves between either your Poison STAB, Fire Blast, or Laser Focus, which is incredibly useful for breaking past special boosters. Additionally, it suffers from the same issues as Kartana in being susceptible to Scarves while not being that great of a Scarf user itself.

Some noteworthy mons that I don't feel will dominate:

- :zapdos: I'm sure Zapdos will do great, but I simply don't feel it'll fit among the very top. Its bulk simply isn't up to the task of dealing with the power level of the mons described above, as well as everything else, and if you do go out of your way to make it hyper bulky, now you've gone and made it too slow to cover other threats! Attempting to EV it to cover everything is a task that will simply be in vain, which is why I feel base Zapdos will be no higher than A rank at best.
- :heatran: I know a lot of people are excited about Heatran, but I just don't think it has what it takes to dominate the meta. You've simply just got way too many mons that either clean KO it, bulk it and either KO or set up, or have some other crafty tricks to get around it, while Heatran just isn't equipped to do the same back to them. If we were just dealing with the mons we have right now, that'd be another story, but ultimately I just feel Heatran doesn't have that great of a matchup spread against everything else it's returning alongside.
- :tapu lele: I'm sure I'd get plenty of stares if I just said out of nowhere that Lele wouldn't be that great, but hopefully after reading everything above this point it makes sense why Tapu Lele is here. While Psychic Surge with Expanding Force is definitely a force to be reckoned with, there are simply just too many resists and mons that just KO it returning for it to really make good use of it, especially with consideration to the AV culture we have going on right now. Don't get me wrong, this thing is still hitting like A rank minimum, I just don't feel it'll be as dominant as some may think it will be, let alone banworthy.

Moving on, we have the Pokemon that are currently usable!
1602397747478.png

Simply put, I don't think anything we have currently is going to dominate the meta when DLC2 comes. The top tiers will still be relatively solid, though they're going to be absolutely swamped with competition. I'm feeling upper Cs to lower As all around in this batch, with Dragapult being the unsuspecting champion of the bunch, at least until Dragonites start bulking banded Dragon Darts.

And lastly, we have the mons up for being unbanned upon DLC's arrival! While not all of these are necessarily guaranteed to be unbanned, I just took the ones that looked like they have a nonzero chance of being unbanned.
1602398200028.png

- :marshadow: While being the least likely to be unbanned of the bunch, Marshadow's been taking some hits as time goes by; fairies are rising up, physically bulky mons that can KO it are getting better, and now there's a whole slew of mons coming to cause it trouble. Even if it doesn't get unbanned a couple weeks from now, it will assuredly be something to consider later on. Considering the meta I've described above and below, Marshadow definitely has some steep competition, though of course it's still very well capable of doing anything it pleases with much less opportunity cost per set than any other mon I've presented. If allowed into the meta, this is something I can definitely foresee enforcing widespread adaptations in order to beat specifically it, though to what extent exactly is something that would have to be seen.
- :magearna: While Magearna absolutely despises many of the returning Fires and Grounds, it still has plenty of tricks up its sleeves, especially with moves like Encore and Trick at its disposal. With that said, I feel Magearna will actually be more of a slow burn like Genesect, since people are likely just gonna jump straigt to choice once it's freed, and progressively build to the more tactical sets that'll make it shine in tours.
- :melmetal: Unlike Magearna, this big lugnut can actually just eat a lot of the heavy hitters returning, though this comes at the expense of versatility. Mel's pretty much always gonna be using the same set of moves and items, which'll result in it being rather predictable, especially when you look at its teammates and notice a suspicious weakness to special attackers. Despite this, Melmetal is still pretty well equipped to just muscle past a lot of its checks, in addition to the plethora of matchups that it already wins through virtue of just being Melmetal. This could very well be something that needs to be banned, though, like with Tapu Koko, it'd have to be something where people develop it to the point where a ban is necessary, since theorycrafting alone can only go so far.
- :necrozma: Necrozma is very nicely built to do just about whatever it wants, similar to Tapu Koko, though it isn't limited to just STAB power, as it has a massive arsenal of options at its disposal, in addition to the 160 BP nuke that it can fire off as it pleases without being put on what is effectively a timer like Koko. Despite this, it does still have issues with Substitute, as well as being Trick locked if you're not using Specs. The opportunity cost between each set hurts, though I feel Necrozma will make do quite nicely.
- :jirachi: I feel Jirachi will still be alright. Great speed and bulk with plenty of setup options and Encore after all, though I do feel that its overall damage output is relatively low, so unless you're using a Trick of your own, it'll be notably susceptible to other Pokemon's Tricks. In general I feel people will wanna look at all the shiny new Steels and the returning Magearna and Melmetal before looking back at Jirachi, so it'll likely be some time before Jirachi gets attention once more.
- :togekiss: 80 speed just ain't gonna cut it anymore, and all the berry Counters in the world aren't gonna make Togekiss as good as it was in the DLC1 meta. It may very well see some use once things have settled down and potential bans on Tapu Koko and Melmetal have gone through, but until then, Togekiss likely won't be seen very much at all.

Thanks for reading-

Somewhat opinionated predictions about DLC 2 Metagame
my-image (1).png

Pokemon are roughly ordered within tiers
I feel like I will need some explanation to avoid getting lynched alive:
Let's start with the 3 banned mons:
:dragonite: I hope I don't need to explain too much on this one. Multiscale is super broken as an ability and dnite was already argued for a ban in SM where it had harder counters such as magearna, mmaw and mgyara. Imagine a metagame where no good Mold Breaker mons exist, Dnite can just run WP+Coverage to beat basically all of its counters AND it learned a good flying STAB move. No. Get this out.
:tapu-koko: was banned in SM and as we've seen from mons like Zeraora, you don't really need Z moves to strive in SS. This mon's moveset is absurd, Charge + Wild Charge + Rising Voltage just makes me shiver at the potential.
:tapu-lele: This one is a little less agreed on but cmon, Expanding Force is just so insanely busted. Scarf Specs CM whatever, this mon will struggle to find real counters.
Now onto Top Tiers
:victini: 252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Primarina: 340-400 (93.6 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
yeah, uhhh, yeah... It's kinda hard for me to imagine the metagame with Victini as its best mon but it's just so good. Base 100 spread is insane especially defensively, but most mons with that spread struggle offensively; not Victini. V-Create being 180 BP basically means the mon has fucking Huge Power or something, it's absurd. Primary counters to it would technically be Water types but having a 130 BP Electric coverage makes this mon so insanely good. Vic just has every single card right
:genesect: This will be amazing early on even when people only spam Specs. I think SS is the right metagame for people to push and discover sets such as Occa Shift Gear, mixed, Metal Sound etc. making Genesect have one of the biggest potential thresholds in the meta. Its super carried by its typing defensively and its coverage offensively. Download is cool.
:latios: Draco Meteor hits super hard and Latios reaches such a good speed tier for the dlc2 meta at 350. It got Mystical Fire so it doesn't need Hidden Power anymore. I think Modest Choice Scarf will actually be its best set, since it beats Victini with Surf, Genesect and Kartana with Mystical Fire, Draco on everything else.
:kartana: huge damage, if you don't outspeed this thing and OHKO you will most likely die. Few counters include Scarf Latios, Genesect and Aggron.
:garchomp: this mon is very strong, but I feel it will suffer most because of the match-up split between Band and Scarf.
:pheromosa: Jolly reaches 441 Speed and Adamant reaches 410 attack. Tell me how many mons on that list can tank CB HJK/Lunge/Pjab/Outrage. Exactly, very very few. Go ahead, keep sleeping on phero.
High Tiers
:blacephalon: This just has a great MU against top tiers. I think a mon with Chandy's offensive typing that is super fast and has even higher special attack can just shred through stuff very easily.
:registeel: :cresselia: these are just the same mon with diff typing. ID+Amnesia+Body Press vs Cosmic Power+Stored Power like damn, who tf is gonna OHKO these? Not putting them top tier cuz crit moment
:naganadel: Latios but you sacrifice bulk for a better speed tier and a better typing. It's still amazing but it really depends whether this is gonna strive and Latios is gonna fall off or vice versa. I am still very much unsure which one will be the case but I'm more leaning towards Latios being better early dlc and Naganadel overtaking it later.
:zygarde: Super good mon that hard suffers from the amount of good dragon types in the tier that simply outspeed and OHKO.
:aggron: I think I should actually move this higher tbh. Band Head Smash OHKOs a whole lot of shit, and with how Choice-oriented this meta seems to be, Metal Burst looks VERY good. Taunt will also be very cool. I think this is one of those mons that isn't top top tier but still metagame warping.
Mid Tiers
:heatran: :tapu-bulu: :blaziken: :zapdos: :raikou: EXTREMELY overhyped but when you get down to it they simply do not have good match-up spreads against the real good Pokemon of the metagame. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Glide isn't really that good cause most things that outspeed it also resist grass, so it's mostly looking forward to Play Rough on stuff. I think Wood Hammer will still be the staple and grassy glide will be a more niche option to beat stuff like Nihilego (this kinda sad tbh 252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Grassy Glide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa in Grassy Terrain: 261-308 (91.9 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO). Seed stall won't be good cuz, uh, just run rilla. Zapdos and Raikou have Pressure, cool, but most shit just raw outspeeds or runs, like, Scarf. Victini also runs flame charge on CB which is annoying. Heatran and Blaziken are p cool but Victini just outclasses them and beats them individually so mostly I doubt they're gonna be worth running.
:latias: worse latios
:nihilego: Will not be Top Tier but good typing duo and insanely high special bulk will make this very threatening and anti meta
:landorus: woo you beat Victini, Pheromosa and Registeel and... that's abt it. Will kinda be too niche to thrive but still decent nonetheless
:diancie: a fairy type that doesn't beat the most prominent dragons: Latios (it needs Specs), Garchomp (it needs super bulky WP), Naganadel (needs like AV or something lol), Zygarde ("slower garchomp")
:volcanion: cool typing, it will probably 3-0 certain ladder teams
:archeops: run aggron smh
:celesteela: sub seed, ig? Typing is pretty cool but a lot of top tiers run fire/electric coverage, and stuff like zygarde exists, so it's hard for it to thrive. Would be better in a more passive meta
:xurkitree: 173 base SpA is what will carry this mon as soon as koko gets banned. Has a bunch of potential but its EVs will have to be stretched thin for it to work
:suicune: lol shit downspeeds and dies
:metagross: a good steel! with, again, bad top tier mus.
:tapu-fini: just use prim, z nature's madness doesn't exist anymore
:sceptile: serperior moment. Tbh I should've moved this to niche cause it isn't good lmao

Will be Niche + unusable
this is pretty self explanatory and agreed upon, mons below this rank will be seen once on a Joker PL team, a couple thousand times in 5luke ladder games and that one time I feel like trolling smely socks in a bo5. Can't wait for VG Jungle to come CRYING at me saying that Cryogonal is SO GOOD because if you run 252+ defense choice scarf blizzard you can beat Garchomp.

I can't wait for DLC to drop this metagame seems super fun except for the fact that everyone and their mom will be coinflipping between band/specs and choice scarf during teambuilding so set scouting will be super cancer
mubs out

Attachments

Rellia

love this view
is a Tiering Contributor
hello everyone, Jirachirelia here! I am here to spread some Tapu Fini propaganda, as I think it is being a little bit slept on atm. here is a song and enjoy :)

:sm/tapu fini:

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Icy Wind
- Trick

aight so if you've ever played me in gen 7 then you know I use Tapu Fini a lot, so I wanted to make a set for it now that it is coming back in DLC2!

In this gen, I decided to make a bulky specs set which can beat a lot of the other DLC2 mons, most notably Marshadow, Latios, Blaziken, Heatran, Landorus, Garchomp, Excadrill, Tapu Koko (offensive and not Modest lol), and the scarf Kartana matchup is even in Fini's favor! Tapu Fini's great defensive stats of 70/115/130 help it eat lots of different neutral/super effective hits. It should beat most Dragonites with two Icy Winds and Victini with a Specs Hydro, but as the meta develops there will probably be sets to beat this lol. Hydro Pump is super strong when it hits, Moonblast is the more reliable STAB, Icy Wind helps the Dragonite matchup, and Trick is there to mess with stall mons like Registeel and Cresselia. I did some calcs which showcase Fini's bulk and also its somewhat surprising power, so look at those if you want! I'm not gonna say that Tapu Fini is gonna be a top tier mon since it loses to some big threats like Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Genesect, and probably Magearna. It is also a water type that can lose to Victini which is not great, but I think that there is definitely a spot for it in the meta.

48+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Tapu Fini: 288-342 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- approx. 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Tapu Fini: 176-210 (51.1 - 61%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 284-336 (82.5 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Rising Voltage (70 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 222-264 (64.5 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Tapu Fini: 149-177 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- 8.6% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Tapu Fini: 282-334 (81.9 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 258-304 (75 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Tapu Fini: 230-272 (66.8 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Pheromosa Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Tapu Fini: 240-284 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 283-335 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Tapu Fini: 306-360 (88.9 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 271-321 (96.4 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marshadow: 408-480 (127.1 - 149.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 184 SpD Melmetal: 240-283 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 144-170 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 288-340 (74.6 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Victini: 428-506 (125.5 - 148.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 344-408 (114.2 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 426-504 (118.9 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 278-330 (66.1 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete: 278-330 (43.7 - 51.8%)

140+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 256-302 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Finally, I probably messed something up as I don't make many posts like this ever, so sorry if there is something wrong!! Also big thanks to smely socks for making tours for me to test this and Akumajou for discussing the set with me :3 kk rellia (chad mode) out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)