Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
dead thread l0l. Anyway, I would like to elaborate more on the Pokemon that were brought up in the survey + some interesting Pokemon rn, since there's no more SS tours for me until champs.

:regidrago: - When we talk about a threat on team preview, I think Regidrago fits the definition. Regidrago is a really controversial Pokemon, some people calling for a ban as they think this Pokemon affects negatively the metagame, while others are indifferent or don't think Regidrago requires a ban. When it comes to set, this Pokemon can technically run a bunch of sets including Haban Berry, Assault Vest, Choice Band, and Custap Berry making it a pretty unpredictable Pokemon in some cases. Regidrago can hide its sets well while building which makes guessing sometimes a trouble, though, all of its sets share one popular counter: Fairy-types. Unlike Genesect (that required Fire-types to check it), Regidrago counters are actually pretty popular and are naturally run on every team (Sylveon, Fini, Togekiss: literally 3 S rank Pokemon), additionally some Steel-types also do the job, Celesteela comes in mind. In the teambuilding side, people have no trouble checking it as every team naturally has one. Though the problem comes from picking. Regidrago wraps the picking meta around it. Players can sometimes be forced into harsh 50/50s into picking the Regidrago counter or not, or picking the Regidrago or not as it most likely 2-1s the opposing team. For these reasons, I voted that Regidrago nearly affects negatively the metagame but I don't really think its worthy a ban yet. A suspect would be interesting but yea, I'm not really behind that for the time being.

:Zygarde: - Zygarde is the opposite of Regidrago as it is more problematic trying to fit something that beats it. It has a lot of sets that can cover like all of the metagame. Unlike Regidrago it can beat Fairy-types which is why it's pretty annoying building against it. Assault Vest Zygarde can defeat Togekiss, Sylveon, and Scarf Fini without Ice Beam on top of beating most special attackers in the metagame tho this makes it lose to strong physical dragons or other dragons with Haban Berry. Haban Berry Zygarde keeps positive matchups against Steel-types, loses against most Fairy-types but defeat slower haban Dragon-type Pokemon. Rocky Helmet has a positive Urshifu matchup with breaking swipe to say the least, and then we have the Toxic set which can defeat most slow Pokemon that can't one shot it. This makes it pretty annoying to deal with during teambuilding as common counters aren't that popular though they do exist; such as Glastrier and Darmanitan-Galar. Zygarde sets aren't too hard to read on preview, though they still can be troublesome if the builder hides them well, this makes Zygarde mostly a nuisance in teambuilding and not in picking. I also voted that it nearly affects negatively the metagame, but I also don't think its worthy a ban yet. A suspect would also be interesting, but I don't know between this or Regidrago which deserves it more, but eh I also don't think it's necessary.

:Urshifu: Pretty balanced and healthy Pokemon, losing popularity even. Its forms are pretty distinguishable on Team Preview and it really doesn't cause many teambuilding problems. Both forms shares weaknesses, and each form has good separate counters. I do think Urshifu-RS currently is the better form and I like it a lot, ID Press is a really cool set that can defeat most physical Pokemon or even stallish Pokemon with the help of Taunt or Rest (as we call it gn bear). I think people should try and run Banded Urshifu (Specially Urshifu-SS) more as it packs more immediate power and can surprise a lot of Pokemon specially with Ice Punch. Pretty balanced and healthy mon.

:Spectrier: I don't think this Pokemon really worry anyone at this point, it's falling off and I don't see it rising in the next weeks/months even. Maybe more usage for its Specs set? but otherwise doesn't really impact the metagame.

Now, now, if we're talking about trends, it's mostly DFS that is taking over and I don't see that changing soon but even if we shake up the metagame by potentially suspecting Regidrago or Zygarde I don't really think anything is changing. There's, to be honest, plenty of room for creativity and other types to pair your Dragons, Fairies, and Steels with!!

:Celesteela: Surely, nobody knew that I like this Pokemon. Anyway, Celesteela is a pretty neat Pokemon as it can invalidates most DFS cores due to its raw bulk and great typing. Most popular set is Leech Seed stall but I think offensive Celesteela should be able to beat stuff that seed stall doesn't.

:Aromatisse: Pretty much the Fairy that counters other Fairies. It also beats most Dragons unless they're av 4 attacks!!! and defeat a pretty big portion of the metagame mostly Choice locked Pokemon and Pokemon that can't reliably 2HKO it. It has a pretty high skill gap that's why it's less used but I think people should start toying more with Aromatisse as it is a really great Pokemon. As they used to say back in the day, ban encore amirite.

:Steelix: I don't think Steelix is amazing but its underappreciated. Band is a good set that can defeat a lot of Fairies and Steels. Plus it has sturdies so it can also actually defeat Darm-G, it also reliably beat Zeraora unlike Aggron! It does lose to a lot but I think it's pretty underrated right now and deserve more usage.

:Haxorus: Unnerve band Haxorus is actually really good. It defeats a lot of slower haban dragons (Regidrago, Goodra, and most Zygardes), can also defeat some Steel-types like metagross (only w/ counter), and Heatran and slower bulky Pokemon. Choice Scarf is neat to beat Zeraora and like Dragapult but it loses the matchup against bulky haban dragon.

:Tapu Lele: Another fairy that can beat others fairies. Use ID+Stored power!!!!

ok I wasted an hour which is what I needed and I'm bored now. But SS is really fun gen imo, and I do enjoy it. s/o Here Comes Team Charm!, Close, DenisTheMenace, pqs, and Itchyy for building with me when I first started to get into SS.

this thread is dead but just dropping some personal rankings for fun/anyone who cares. Not going too in depth.

Top 10:
1. :tapu fini: Tapu Fini
This thing is insane rn, beating a lot of the meta, forces a setguess vs lots of mons and just overall solid and balanced
My favourite sets are scarf and specs, bc they threaten with trick
2. :zygarde: Zygarde
The setguesses are also real with this mon. I have it higher than drago because of this. Forcing a 2-0 is nice but zygardes versatility and ability to beat some fairies is better imo
My favourite sets are ddance haban and wp.
3. :regidrago: Regidrago
Here it is, the mon that has been terrorising 1v1 for a while now. Forcing a 2-0 is extremely threatening in preview and regidrago beats way too many things it shouldn't.
My favourite set is av outrage
4. :celesteela: Celesteela
Best steel type atm, and the mon that really reinforced the dfs meta, it has many soft 3-0s at preview, especially against dfs. Setguess is also pretty annoying
My favourite set is sitrus
5. :sylveon: Sylveon
A solid fairy type, and does very unique things compared to others. Hyper voice is great.
My favourite sets are custap and babiri yawn
6. :metagross: Metagross
2nd best steel atm and its not even close. This mon is just extremely solid and bulky and beats a lot between all its sets.
My favourite set is av
7. :darmanitan-galar: Darm-g
Hits hard af and the 50/50 setguess makes playing against it hard. I have some team that are 3-0d by fast mons just to make people think i'm scarf
My favourite sets are band and scarf (adamant scarf and jolly band are hype af btw)
8. :urshifu-rapid-strike: :urshifu: Urshifu r/s
Putting them both together because i can't decide whats better. The setguess is pretty easy tbh. They both beat, and lose to different things. Overall, i'd say urshifu-s is better, but urshifu-r is more fun to use.
My favourite sets are scarf and id shifu s and id shifu r.
9. :aromatisse: Aromatisse
This mon is extremely good and both sets have advantages and disadvantages. Beating choice users, even with trick is extremely good. Moonblast is very good on it and it can bullshit its way through some mu's with spatk drop.
My favourite set is wiki
10. :zeraora: Zeraora
Bulk up is very good, fake out is great, insanely techable, I just should use it more tbh.
My favourite set is lo fake out.

Some underrated mons:
:cresselia: Cresselia
bulky trick is nice, stored power isn't really
:tapu-bulu: Tapu bulu
Finally getting praise, seed is really cool, esp with taunt disable
:arcanine: Arcanine
becoming underrated, this mon beats a lot of things most fires don't and is techable
:venusaur: Venusaur
Custap is very unexpected and venusaur is just a very good speed trap
:whimsicott: Whimsicott
Babiri whims 3-0s a lot of dfs. Thats pretty much it.
:sawk: Sawk
A very different sturdy mon. Bad overall, but 3-0s way too many teams
:celebi: Celebi
Can run a lot, np custap is fire and it can run trick as well as leech seed
:gyarados: Gyarados
Actually pretty usable atm, band is good, just waiting for a decent dd set.
:steelix: Steelix
Band doesn't hit too hard but still better than C-. Usable vs current meta as well.
:jellicent: Jellicent
I love this mon. trick can bullshit its way through mu's and stall can also bullshit its way through mu's.
:torkoal: Torkoal
People obviously aren't using wp smh.
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
Magic guard stored power
:relicanth: Relicanth
Weakness policy yawn is very good. Insane def also helps it against a lot. I run yawn protect liquidation head smash.

Feel free to ask questions, and remember this is just my opinion.

Weakness policy yawn is very good. Insane def also helps it against a lot. I run yawn protect liquidation head smash.
The cool thing is I thought of this set almost as soon as I got into 1v1, so yeah. Nice.

Bulky trick is very nice, and I feel like that's something Cofagrigus and Runerigus can use pretty well. I would definitely say both are underrated, and Runerigus can run band trick very nicely with poltergeist. Another fun bulky trick mon is Dusknoir, and it also works pretty well with trick poltergeist. I'd recommend trying them out, very fun to use.

this thread is dead but just dropping some personal rankings for fun/anyone who cares. Not going too in depth.

Top 10:
1. :tapu fini: Tapu Fini
This thing is insane rn, beating a lot of the meta, forces a setguess vs lots of mons and just overall solid and balanced
My favourite sets are scarf and specs, bc they threaten with trick
2. :zygarde: Zygarde
The setguesses are also real with this mon. I have it higher than drago because of this. Forcing a 2-0 is nice but zygardes versatility and ability to beat some fairies is better imo
My favourite sets are ddance haban and wp.
3. :regidrago: Regidrago
Here it is, the mon that has been terrorising 1v1 for a while now. Forcing a 2-0 is extremely threatening in preview and regidrago beats way too many things it shouldn't.
My favourite set is av outrage
4. :celesteela: Celesteela
Best steel type atm, and the mon that really reinforced the dfs meta, it has many soft 3-0s at preview, especially against dfs. Setguess is also pretty annoying
My favourite set is sitrus
5. :sylveon: Sylveon
A solid fairy type, and does very unique things compared to others. Hyper voice is great.
My favourite sets are custap and babiri yawn
6. :metagross: Metagross
2nd best steel atm and its not even close. This mon is just extremely solid and bulky and beats a lot between all its sets.
My favourite set is av
7. :darmanitan-galar: Darm-g
Hits hard af and the 50/50 setguess makes playing against it hard. I have some team that are 3-0d by fast mons just to make people think i'm scarf
My favourite sets are band and scarf (adamant scarf and jolly band are hype af btw)
8. :urshifu-rapid-strike: :urshifu: Urshifu r/s
Putting them both together because i can't decide whats better. The setguess is pretty easy tbh. They both beat, and lose to different things. Overall, i'd say urshifu-s is better, but urshifu-r is more fun to use.
My favourite sets are scarf and id shifu s and id shifu r.
9. :aromatisse: Aromatisse
This mon is extremely good and both sets have advantages and disadvantages. Beating choice users, even with trick is extremely good. Moonblast is very good on it and it can bullshit its way through some mu's with spatk drop.
My favourite set is wiki
10. :zeraora: Zeraora
Bulk up is very good, fake out is great, insanely techable, I just should use it more tbh.
My favourite set is lo fake out.

Some underrated mons:
:cresselia: Cresselia
:tapu-bulu: Tapu bulu
Finally getting praise, seed is really cool, esp with taunt disable
:arcanine: Arcanine
becoming underrated, this mon beats a lot of things most fires don't and is techable
:venusaur: Venusaur
Custap is very unexpected and venusaur is just a very good speed trap
:whimsicott: Whimsicott
Babiri whims 3-0s a lot of dfs. Thats pretty much it.
:sawk: Sawk
A very different sturdy mon. Bad overall, but 3-0s way too many teams
:celebi: Celebi
Can run a lot, np custap is fire and it can run trick as well as leech seed
:gyarados: Gyarados
Actually pretty usable atm, band is good, just waiting for a decent dd set.
:steelix: Steelix
Band doesn't hit too hard but still better than C-. Usable vs current meta as well.
:jellicent: Jellicent
I love this mon. trick can bullshit its way through mu's and stall can also bullshit its way through mu's.
:torkoal: Torkoal
People obviously aren't using wp smh.
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
Magic guard stored power
:relicanth: Relicanth

Feel free to ask questions, and remember this is just my opinion.
surprised to see no mention of togekiss in the top 10, do you think it’s fallen off?

surprised to see no mention of togekiss in the top 10, do you think it’s fallen off?
I really do, yeah. Togekiss is probably 8-11th for me depending on the day. Scarf togekiss just isn't too strong really, even though trick roost is nice. Twave maranga is definitely the better set. One of my problems is togekiss quite often beats one of a mon's sets, but loses to the other, causing a setguess. Losing quite often to bad flinch luck is also another reason it's not top 10 for me. Twave maranga seems extremely solid but can fall short in practice. Last but not least, there are many established counters for togekiss, proving the effect it's had on the meta long-term. Even though it goes well in the dfs meta, there are much better fairies to run.

Run gleam over fire blast on scarf btw, you'll be happy you did.

nolenot

Banned deucer.
Sylveon sets (personal ranking)
1. Custap (8 speed evs) :sylveon:
Its really good Also outspeeds 4 ev and no speed evs sylveon
2. Custap (4 speed evs):sylveon:
Beats no speed sylveon Custap
3. Yawn babiri (192 total speed taken with EVs from bulk):sylveon:
This set is fuckin cracked bro it beats garde ( i think) and it beats the 190 sylv set that beats garde only downside is that it dies to a lot more stuff cuz its more fail still sylv tho soo itys really strong (it has a lot of special defence)
3b. Custap (192 speed)
bro they expect you to be slow cuz custap but then you outspeed their slow ass custap user with -speed nature because they are using mixed rhyperior and you win its sick bro and reallly helps with slower matups where being fsater allows you to play safe or just outright win because you also have custap and are normally faster and you get then down to endure and then u endure and they endure and then you go firts and win trust its rly good also beats garde and 191/190 speed yawn slveon)
4. Yawn babirio (high bulkd 191 speed):sylveon:
Its pretty good just get 2 turns of da sleep. Basically custap but instead of endure 50/50s you have luck based 66/33s
Also outspeed a fuuccuj ton of useful benchmarks also lives litterally everthing yo
5a. Yawn babiri (190 total speed taken from bulk):sylveon:
Betas garde but loses to 191 speed sylveon so it kinda sucks ://////////////
Im gone
5b. Specs:sylveon:
Just kills a lot of stuff and ikts unexpected. its pretty good as a suprise set está muy e/pico ahora. it is tied with the custap sylvoen with 190 taken from the some of the the bulk
6. Slow yawn:sylveon:
Only noobs use this. This shit is dumb bro dont use this use the fast one even less points if its not even babiri
7. Custap (191 speed taken from spetak):sylveon:
Beats garde but also sometimes doesnt cuz now its weak as FUCK lmaooooooo
8. Custap (190 speed taken from spetak):sylveon:
This is the shit without the the
9. Pixie plate (qa):sylveon:
LMAOOO its not fuckin 2015 anymore+it doesnt even beat crustle band kills i anyways and custap beats that anyways

ok so people are actually posting in this thread, didnt think that would happen
anyways here's my thoughts on the current meta
(also these are just my opinions so my bad if u have different opinions)

honestly i dont have a problem with much in teambuilding rn, like yea sure regidrago is super restricting and forces u to run a fairy/some steel/scarf unnerve haxorus but like it's not that boring to run a bulu on the team, it's a really fun mon and u still have 2 other slots to build around. u could also just not have a completely reliable regidrago check like an ice type since regidrago needs super specific sets to beat certain ice types and those sets are not very common on ladder, u could get cteamed but switching between 3-4 teams is never a bad option while laddering. currently cuz of CLC people who are participate have to run necrozma and tang, u can just take advantage of that and use volcarona :100:

alr time to talk about actual pokemon

:SS/tapu fini:
this pokemon is pretty fun and extremely easy to build around since it has so many sets, it also has pretty straightforward matchups as well as clear counters so u don't have to worry that much about it while building. i have seen the recent rise of specs and it's pretty cool tbh, it lures out scarf metagross as well as some mons that think they can live 2 hits but just get epicly trolled. someone also made a WP max spdef set which lures out things like energy ball specs prim, naganadel and volcanion. the reason this is mon is so good is cause of the set variety and the easiness of new players to use/build around it, the typing is also just absolutely great

:SS/togekiss:
bro this mon is probably the most hated mon on SS besides drago rn loooooool, i personally dont really have any problems with this thing but even if u resist it's attacks it'll just bullshit through your way until u die. scarf is cool cuz u beat some stall mons and guarantee beat shit like zygarde and all (scarf iron tail/sludge wave zygarde), but twave maranga tho, shit just needs to either survive a hit and click twave or just outspeed and twave and thats basically gg, the amount of times u get para'd and flinched dude LOL, for some reason i dont see it being used alot as it should which is weird. babiri counter is a pretty funny option cuz it lures a few steels and they don't even expect it. anyways im not really saying it deserves a ban, im just saying watch out for it cuz it will decimate u at some point, it also has a few counters so it's not really ban worthy

:SS/regidrago:
this thing, people complained about it alot. this thing is genuinely insane, it can tech for alot of things that counter it, it's only counters being fairies, some specific steel types and scarf unnerve haxorus. i mean sure it's super restricting in the builder as well as preview cuz it can basically 2-0 every team u have (unless mono fairy kekw) and even look like a 3-0 if u don't have a fairy on your team, so basically the problem with this is that it forces u to run fairies. but fairies arent that boring to use in general and even if u think they are, u can't tell me mons like bulu, azuma and koko are boring like bruh. anyways AV and haban drago are really cool and fun sets to build around and probably the most recommended sets, custap is decent cuz it can lure a bunch of shit but if the opponent expects it then it'll be a rough time predicting, band is ok, it can lure steels and chople ferro

:SS/zygarde:
bro this thing is broken, it can tech for so much shit, even some fairies goddamit. i honestly feel like this is the most restricting mon while building 1v1, even absolute monstrous special attackers like specs prim has to 50/50 damage rolls against AV zyg like mate, what the heck. even a few ice types can get absolutely owned by yache zygarde, even after all of that, people on ladder don't even run the good zygarde sets, like I've seen some random lefties sub dd zygarde bruuuuuh lol. i can see the potential of special WP zygarde doing things but for now it's pretty cool of a mon. i think the most used actually viable zygarde is haban but i dont really like haban that much, i think my favourite set is probably subtox or rocky helm, WP and AV are pretty cool too since they have more different matchups than the rest of the sets

skipping sylv cuz i don't have much to say about it, i guess it's a fun mon to build around and somewhat restricting in the builder

:SS/metagross:
pretty cool mon tbh, really cool typing and it has a massive variety of sets, it can bulk for quite a few things and beat quite a few things. scarf is underrated and most people just either forget about it while building or don't think of it in preview and it just lures them out and wins, band is cool, it doesn't need to run a bunch of attack to beat things cuz of band and doesn't need to run a bunch of speed cuz it's not scarf, u just run a bunch of bulk and dominate with it. AV is cool, it beats a bunch of special attackers and can bulk for other shit while beating all those special attackers. WP is epic, u just need to live a super effective hit and u kill em back with a mmash/psychic doing alot of damage. i feel like a stall set could have some potential but other than that this mon has been looked into alot which is epic

:SS/celesteela:
the word epic is how you describe this, the set variety is insane, steel/flying is probably one of the coolest typings, it is soooooo bulky and can tech for quite a bit. sometimes it can look like a 3-0 to certain DFS teams and is restricting most of the time in preview. custap is ok, it can lure a few mons, sitrus is probably among the best sets, the thing is already so bulky and with the help of sitrus + leech seed, it just seems invincible. occa leech stall is probably the most common set and it deserves to be that popular, it can live hits from shit like band gdarm and OHKO it back while also stalling out slower mons with leech seed. something nice about occasteela is that because it's so popular, some people won't even expect the other sets and u can just simply bait them and it's also relatively easy to build around. it really does deserve to be called the best steel type in current meta

:SS/darmanitan galar:
this thing is really good, scarf can beat alot of things, shit like fast mons with okay bulk just die to the set and it can beat alot of the top tiers, band is for the slower but bulky mons that don't die to scarf and some of the omega bulky stall mons, gimpact can finish the mons that resist icicle and flare while still living EQ. salac can beat some of the annoying custap mons that beat the choices sets as well beating some other choiced things that outspeed scarf. all of these sets i mentioned now dont run any sort of bulk, but bulky gdarm sets can tech for a bunch of shit like AV gdarm exists and it beats the annoying af specs zone as well as luring in some custap mons that seem like they're gonna beat it, shit can also EV to tank stone edge from adamant garchomp (thanks murman) without the help of any sort of items, so u just safely run scarf as your item to outspeed band chomper while living scarf. i feel like lure sets are really nice on this thing even tho scarf, band and salac are still viable

i dont want this post to take an hour long to read so here's some quick analysis

VOLCANION: pretty cool mon, sometimes u can see it get soft 3-0's on preview as well as having a bunch of bulk as well as attack to deal with and tech for shit, sitrus wil o wisp is probably my favourite set

ZERAORA: i used it to lure gdarm in SSNL but unfort didn't get a chance to click it, it can tech/bulk for a bit even tho it doesn't have the best stats which makes it a good lure to use it in tours, favourite set is probably bulk up LO

AROMATISSE: this thing is actually quite fun to use, it's hard to use but if u can get used to it then it can help u win alot of games, my favourite set is probably max spd rocky helm

NAGANADEL: specs is pretty cool and can beat alot of the top tiers, life orb protect can beat some of the custap users, life orb nasty plot beats stall users, bulky naga is an option cuz of regieleki but that shit is beyond irrelevancy

DRAGAPULT: has a decent variety of sets, can run physical, special, stall and WP sets, all of the sets are really fun to use. my favorite set is probably sitrus curse

TAPU LELE: custap isnt really good, i guess it can fit on a small amount of teams, seed lele is pretty cool, it can tank a bunch of things and can beat some stall mons as well as being able to boost with CM, specs is decent, it gets a decent bit of coverage so, stall WP is really nice, it's probably my favourite set it can beat AVglast and a few other mons that it usually won't beat

NECROZMA: solid mon tbh, gets okay coverage, specs is nice but i dont really like it, i prefer using LO more cuz of CM+Moonlight, sitrus stall is also pretty cool and people usually expect specs so it's nice to use sitrus stall or LO

ENTEI: i really like this mon, it can fit on a bunch of teams and can pair up pretty nicely with fini which makes it even better, AV and pressure stall are different enough to confuse people and be pretty restricting in team preview, my favourite set is probably pressure stall cuz of the amount things it can outspeed and bulk

:SS/glastrier:
GLASTRIER:
this thing is actually pretty cool, it doesn't beat everything reliably but can shut down some of the tier/most common sets of the top tier mons with AV as well as luring the choiced sets like gdarm with custap, it's hard to build around/play with cuz of some of the non reliable matchups but it can still beat alot of things

:SS/swampert:
SWAMPERT:
this thing genuinely needs more attention, yawnpert can beat alot but it needs to take a hit to go down too so AVpert can take advantage of that and just click counter/mirror coat which is pretty nice cuz u can lure people who are expecting different sets

:SS/tyranitar:
TYRANITAR:
godzilla is so bulky, AV can lure fairies and things like chople counter are just so great, should be used alot more tbh

:SS/jellicent:
JELLICENT:
ive seen it get used a bit cuz of the recent sample submission but this mon is pretty forgettable while building and can 3-0 a good amount of teams with stall

:SS/registeel:
REGISTEEL (AV):
i didn't add this thing because of stall, stall is used quite a bit but AV tho, bro I've forgotten about this thing so many times while building LOL, i think this shit just 3-0's 1/3 of my teams, this thing can decimate some DFS teams cuz they forget it existed

:SS/darmanitan:
DARMANITAN:
the fact that it has trick and can check many different types of stallers and has a massive attacking stat, but isn't used as much people would expect on ladder, it fits on a few teams and definitely should be used more

:SS/relicanth:
RELICANTH:
its funni, that's all. no but seriously tho, this thing can really beat a bunch of shit with yawn sets, u can run liechi endure+yawn with it and WP yawn+protect with this, flail with endure liechi is really fun to use and this thing can do a whole bunch of damage after the WP/Liechi boost

:SS/tapu bulu:
TAPU BULU:
FINALLY getting the love it deserves, really fun mon to use and probably among the most underrated mons of all time, it fits in so many teams without u even realising, seed just bulks a whole lot of shit and it's a fairy so ofc it's good

Last edited:
ok so people are actually posting in this thread, didnt think that would happen
anyways here's my thoughts on the current meta
(also this are just my opinions so my bad if u have different opinions)

honestly i dont have a problem with much in teambuilding rn, like yea sure regidrago is super restricting and forces u to run a fairy/some steel/scarf unnerve haxorus but like it's not that boring to run a bulu on the team, it's a really fun mon and u still have 2 other slots to build around. u could also just not have a completely reliable regidrago check like an ice type since regidrago needs super specific sets to beat certain ice types and those sets are not very common on ladder, u could get cteamed but switching between 3-4 teams is never a bad option while laddering. currently cuz of CLC people who are participate have to run necrozma and tang, u can just take advantage of that and use volcarona :100:

alr time to talk about actual pokemon

:SS/tapu fini:
this pokemon is pretty fun and extremely easy to build around since it has so many sets, it also has pretty straightforward matchups as well as clear counters so u don't have to worry that much about it while building. i have seen the recent rise of specs and it's pretty cool tbh, it lures out scarf metagross as well as some mons that think they can live 2 hits but just get epicly trolled. someone also made a WP max spdef set which lures out things like energy ball specs prim, naganadel and volcanion. the reason this is mon is so good is cause of the set variety and the easiness of new players to use/build around it, the typing is also just absolutely great

:SS/togekiss:
bro this mon is probably the most hated mon on SS besides drago rn loooooool, i personally dont really have any problems with this thing but even if u resist it's attacks it'll just bullshit through your way until u die. scarf is cool cuz u beat some stall mons and guarantee beat shit like zygarde and all (scarf iron tail/sludge wave zygarde), but twave maranga tho, shit just needs to either survive a hit and click twave or just outspeed and twave and thats basically gg, the amount of times u get para'd and flinched dude LOL, for some reason i dont see it being used alot as it should which is weird. babiri counter is a pretty funny option cuz it lures a few steels and they don't even expect it. anyways im not really saying it deserves a ban, im just saying watch out for it cuz it will decimate u at some point, it also has a few counters so it's not really ban worthy

:SS/regidrago:
this thing, people complained about it alot. this thing is genuinely insane, it can tech for alot of things that counter it, it's only counters being fairies, some specific steel types and scarf unnerve haxorus. i mean sure it's super restricting in the builder as well as preview cuz it can basically 2-0 every team u have (unless mono fairy kekw) and even look like a 3-0 if u don't have a fairy on your team, so basically the problem with this is that it forces u to run fairies. but fairies arent that boring to use in general and even if u think they are, u can't tell me mons like bulu, azuma and koko are boring like bruh. anyways AV and haban drago are really cool and fun sets to build around and probably the most recommended sets, custap is decent cuz it can lure a bunch of shit but if the opponent expects it then it'll be a rough time predicting, band is ok, it can lure steels and chople ferro

:SS/zygarde:
bro this thing is broken, it can tech for so much shit, even some fairies goddamit. i honestly feel like this is the most restricting mon while building 1v1, even absolute monstrous special attackers like specs prim has to 50/50 damage rolls against AV zyg like mate, what the heck. even a few ice types can get absolutely owned by yache zygarde, even after all of that, people on ladder don't even run the good zygarde sets, like I've seen some random lefties sub dd zygarde bruuuuuh lol. i can see the potential of special WP zygarde doing things but for now it's pretty cool of a mon. i think the most used actually viable zygarde is haban but i dont really like haban that much, i think my favourite set is probably subtox or rocky helm, WP and AV are pretty cool too since they have more different matchups than the rest of the sets

skipping sylv cuz i don't have much to say about it, i guess it's a fun mon to build around and somewhat restricting in the builder

:SS/metagross:
pretty cool mon tbh, really cool typing and it has a massive variety of sets, it can bulk for quite a few things and beat quite a few things. scarf is underrated and most people just either forget about it while building or don't think of it in preview and it just lures them out and wins, band is cool, it doesn't need to run a bunch of attack to beat things cuz of band and doesn't need to run a bunch of speed cuz it's not scarf, u just run a bunch of bulk and dominate with it. AV is cool, it beats a bunch of special attackers and can bulk for other shit while beating all those special attackers. WP is epic, u just need to live a super effective hit and u kill em back with a mmash/psychic doing alot of damage. i feel like a stall set could have some potential but other than that this mon has been looked into alot which is epic

:SS/celesteela:
the word epic is how you describe this, the set variety is insane, steel/flying is probably one of the coolest typings, it is soooooo bulky and can tech for quite a bit. sometimes it can look like a 3-0 to certain DFS teams and is restricting most of the time in preview. custap is ok, it can lure a few mons, sitrus is probably among the best sets, the thing is already so bulky and with the help of sitrus + leech seed, it just seems invincible. occa leech stall is probably the most common set and it deserves to be that popular, it can live hits from shit like band gdarm and OHKO it back while also stalling out slower mons with leech seed. something nice about occasteela is that because it's so popular, some people won't even expect the other sets and u can just simply bait them and it's also relatively easy to build around. it really does deserve to be called the best steel type in current meta

:SS/darmanitan galar:
this thing is really good, scarf can beat alot of things, shit like fast mons with okay bulk just die to the set and it can beat alot of the top tiers, band is for the slower but bulky mons that don't die to scarf and some of the omega bulky stall mons, gimpact can finish the mons that resist icicle and flare while still living EQ. salac can beat some of the annoying custap mons that beat the choices sets as well beating some other choiced things that outspeed scarf. all of these sets i mentioned now dont run any sort of bulk, but bulky gdarm sets can tech for a bunch of shit like AV gdarm exists and it beats the annoying af specs zone as well as luring in some custap mons that seem like they're gonna beat it, shit can also EV to tank stone edge from adamant garchomp (thanks murman) without the help of any sort of items, so u just safely run scarf as your item to outspeed band chomper while living scarf. i feel like lure sets are really nice on this thing even tho scarf, band and salac are still viable

i dont want this post to take an hour long to read so here's some quick analysis

VOLCANION: pretty cool mon, sometimes u can see it get soft 3-0's on preview as well as having a bunch of bulk as well as attack to deal with and tech for shit, sitrus wil o wisp is probably my favourite set

ZERAORA: i used it to lure gdarm in SSNL but unfort didn't get a chance to click it, it can tech/bulk for a bit even tho it doesn't have the best stats which makes it a good lure to use it in tours, favourite set is probably bulk up LO

AROMATISSE: this thing is actually quite fun to use, it's hard to use but if u can get used to it then it can help u win alot of games, my favourite set is probably max spd rocky helm

NAGANADEL: specs is pretty cool and can beat alot of the top tiers, life orb protect can beat some of the custap users, life orb nasty plot beats stall users, bulky naga is an option cuz of regieleki but that shit is beyond irrelevancy

DRAGAPULT: has a decent variety of sets, can run physical, special, stall and WP sets, all of the sets are really fun to use. my favorite set is probably sitrus curse

TAPU LELE: custap isnt really good, i guess it can fit on a small amount of teams, seed lele is pretty cool, it can tank a bunch of things and can beat some stall mons as well as being able to boost with CM, specs is decent, it gets a decent bit of coverage so, stall WP is really nice, it's probably my favourite set it can beat AVglast and a few other mons that it usually won't beat

NECROZMA: solid mon tbh, gets okay coverage, specs is nice but i dont really like it, i prefer using LO more cuz of CM+Moonlight, sitrus stall is also pretty cool and people usually expect specs so it's nice to use sitrus stall or LO

ENTEI: i really like this mon, it can fit on a bunch of teams and can pair up pretty nicely with fini which makes it even better, AV and pressure stall are different enough to confuse people and be pretty restricting in team preview, my favourite set is probably pressure stall cuz of the amount things it can outspeed and bulk

:SS/glastrier:
GLASTRIER:
this thing is actually pretty cool, it doesn't beat everything reliably but can shut down some of the tier/most common sets of the top tier mons with AV as well as luring the choiced sets like gdarm with custap, it's hard to build around/play with cuz of some of the non reliable matchups but it can still beat alot of things

:SS/swampert:
SWAMPERT:
this thing genuinely needs more attention, yawnpert can beat alot but it needs to take a hit to go down too so AVpert can take advantage of that and just click counter/mirror coat which is pretty nice cuz u can lure people who are expecting different sets

:SS/tyranitar:
TYRANITAR:
godzilla is so bulky, AV can lure fairies and things like chople counter are just so great, should be used alot more tbh

:SS/jellicent:
JELLICENT:
ive seen it get used a bit cuz of the recent sample submission but this mon is pretty forgettable while building and can 3-0 a good amount of teams with stall

:SS/registeel:
REGISTEEL (AV):
i didn't add this thing because of stall, stall is used quite a bit but AV tho, bro I've forgotten about this thing so many times while building LOL, i think this shit just 3-0's 1/3 of my teams, this thing can decimate some DFS teams cuz they forget it existed

:SS/darmanitan:
DARMANITAN:
the fact that it has trick and can check many different types of stallers and has a massive attacking stat, but isn't used as much people would expect on ladder, it fits on a few teams and definitely should be used more

:SS/relicanth:
RELICANTH:
its funni, that's all. no but seriously tho, this thing can really beat a bunch of shit with yawn sets, u can run liechi endure+yawn with it and WP yawn+protect with this, flail with endure liechi is really fun to use and this thing can a whole bunch of damage after the WP/Liechi boost

:SS/tapu bulu:
TAPU BULU:
FINALLY getting the love it deserves, really fun mon to use and probably among the most underrated mons of all time, it fits in so many teams without u even realising, seed just bulks a whole lot of shit and it's a fairy so ofc it's good
Relicaaaaaaannnnnnth!!!!!!!

Relicaaaaaaannnnnnth!!!!!!!
thats it (Relicanth) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 9 Spe
- Head Smash
- Liquidation
- Endure
- Yawn
only set worth using imo. liquidation can be changed for other coverage but i like getting def drops. Endure is for the urshifu mu.
252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 21-25 (5.1 - 6.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 307-361 (75.9 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

thats it (Relicanth) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 9 Spe
- Head Smash
- Liquidation
- Endure
- Yawn
only set worth using imo. liquidation can be changed for other coverage but i like getting def drops. Endure is for the urshifu mu.
252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 21-25 (5.1 - 6.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 307-361 (75.9 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
ah yes, nice endure, stab liquidation is nice, in fact, i like this over equake (which i usually use), thx

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been building and playing some SS specially for champs and I've noticed that Zygarde seems a bit problematic. Since the last survey from nearly two months the metagame developed more than how much it did in World Cup. I opened the discussion yesterday in the Metagame-Discussion channel on Discord and seems like some people do support a suspect, so why not discuss it officially. Zygarde - more precisely with Power Construct is a big threat in the 1v1 metagame allowing it to tank multiple hits - even super effectively when you combine both forms. This form change allows Zygarde to run a lot of widely viable set such as Assault Vest, Haban Berry, Weakness Policy, and SubToxic Lefties to name a few. The main trait that distinguish it from other threats or "S ranks" in the metagame is how hazy its counters are. For example, when its comes to the second best thing Regidrago running a Fairy-type is sufficient, even popular Steel-types like Celesteela and Metagross can overpower it, another example is Tapu Fini who also has many and viable checks without the need of set guessing much. However, for Zygarde it becomes more tricky. All of its sets combined can cover a big portion of the metagame even Fairy-type Pokemon.

1) Sets

• Zygarde sets can defeat many "standard" checks. Assault Vest + Skitter Smack takes care of a lot of Fairy-type Pokemon mainly Tapu Fini, Togekiss, and some Sylveon, Naganadel on top of the obvious stuff it should check. Weakness Policy can be EVd to defeat Primarina, and Fini too with the help of Twaves+Espeed. Haban Berry effectively beat all Dragon-type Pokemon (Except Haxorus) but makes Zygarde drop to fairy-type Pokemon. Subtoxic defeats most slower Pokemon by just living a hit and locking them into subtect, Zygarde can perform this strategy better than other Pokemon as it is bulkier plus Power Construct heals it and gives it more bulk. Its typing is also perfect for the current metagame as it is able to beat the popular Steel-type without worrying about immunities due to Thousand Arrows (such as against Celesteela), it also surely beats Electric- and Fire-type Pokemon like Zeraora, Volcanion, and Entei. But having a great matchup against these Pokemon isn't a problem, the main problem is that it can beat Pokemon that can usually check it (Primarina, Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele, Regidrago) just by changing it set around while keeping overall great matchups which means that its sets have little to no opportunity cost. This makes Zygarde extremely restricting in the builder as sometimes you have to run multiple (see, 2) Zygarde checks to be able to beat all of its sets effectively.

• Zygarde can hide its sets effectively which makes picking also restricting. As we said, sometimes a team has to run more than one Zygarde checks because the Fairy-type Pokemon (Tapu Fini, even with Ice beam!!!) can't beat all Zygarde sets which forces a lot of predictions when it comes to picking. Popular core of Zygarde+Celesteela/Metagross or Zygarde+Aromatisse/Fini can hide Zygarde sets pretty well while also covering Ice-type Pokemon which are the best Zygarde checks. Predicting the preview and picking is a fundamental part in 1v1, but Zygarde forces a lot of 50/50s due to its different sets which is something that we should stay far away from the metagame. Will my Fairy-type lose to Zygarde? Or will my Dragon-type lose to Zygarde?
2) Current Metagame

Current metagame trends make Zygarde a more broken Pokemon. Zygarde plus Regidrago are two of the best Pokemon that shares the same primary type but lose to different stuff. The Ice-type Pokemon can lose to Regidrago, the Fairy-type can lose to Zygarde, and the Dragon-type can lose to both. Steel-types that can beat Regidrago loses to Zygarde. This makes teambuilding extremely restricting. The main reason Zygarde is the restrictive Pokemon is because Regidrago have known checks and counters, it automatically loses to Fairy types, it loses most of the time to Celesteela and Metagross. Its main unknown checks are Dragon types and to an extent Ice types. Dragon types are afraid of Haban Berry which is a popular item while Ice types are afraid of Custap or Weakness Policy which are items that are rarely run due to high opportunity cost since AV and Haban are more valuable. On the other side, as said, Zygarde checks and counters aren't really definitive, making it more restrictive that its other Dragon typed competitor.

That's it for now, I can't think of more reasons without being repetitive but I'll gladly discuss and respond to others. Though, people can say like picking Zygarde is also hard since you know which set you have and don't know what your opponent is thinking which makes it also makes it a prediction-based for the user too, but this can be evaded when the builder has in mind what the team structure is trying to achieve.

I think the main broken element is Power Construct, because thanks to it Zygarde can heal and give itself back more bulk which allows it to live multiple super effective hits from Fairy- and Dragon-types Pokemon, plus it allows it to better Toxic stall foes. With the removal of Power Construct Zygarde is heavily nerfed and manageable.

Nyaaaaaa~ (for the fans)

Now's a better time than ever to share this, here's an example of a stupid zyg that beats most sylveons pretty reliably:

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 80 HP / 132 Atk / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Skitter Smack
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect
- Substitute

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1387960786-oswqfioa1fo1klzp6xcmpi72btr37ehpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1387962049-sm1k12cgq7uc4ow3ax46xrzgkl9cpn9pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1387962483-ey4syn2814vcla69bda8bxda1a4ygggpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1387962802-wrrdh4dsiv83hchfpzix6ms5nipqfuypw

Zygarde sets ranking:

1. AV :zygarde:
Nah this is broken, i was tripping first time i made this list. Itail is a good option on it but breaking swipe is prob better.
2. Sub toxic :zygarde:
This set just beats a lot. Can pp stall a dumb amount of mons and beats most things that can't ohko it.
3. Haban dd :zygarde:
This set is really good and usually isn't guessed into. Beating dragons is nice as well.
4. weakness policy :zygarde:
kinda just does its thing

Side note: Necrozma is fucking bad. Even though its restricting in builder, it is so hard to click against so many teams and its mus vs the vr are awkward af. Best set imo is stored power (even though its inconsistent af). Just waiting for someone to make a wp set that abuses its ability.

Side side note: Celesteela is broken and aromatisse is very very good, both having 2-1s vs most teams

Last edited:
Something has come to my attention recently because of all the clc laddering i've been doing. Quick draw is extremely uncompetitive.
:ss/slowbro-galar:
Slowbro-Galar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quick Draw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

This fucker has a 30% chance to turn a losing matchup into a winning matchup (Quick claw is banned with a 20% chance while not having access to a boosting item). This was very apparent while i was laddering for metagross, because with all sets, you need to pray that they don't get quick draw and destroy you with fire blast. On top of this, this mons typing and bulk is overall solid, so it can usually have 2 turns, meaning 2 opportunities to hit quick draw. Overall, I think it is very uncompetitive, especially on ladder where a bad player can use it, get lucky, and kill your elo.

Pros:
-30% chance of winning losing mu's
-good vs dfs
-taking 1600+ players elo with your 1200 elo
-already good typing
-did i mention it has a 30% chance to win losing mu's?
-destroy my clc laddering
-30% chance to win losing mus

Cons:
-Bad abuser (not true)
-You can't use if you are a decent person and don't like stealing people's elo because of pure luck
-Bad if you are unlucky

Something has come to my attention recently because of all the clc laddering i've been doing. Quick draw is extremely uncompetitive.
:ss/slowbro-galar:
Slowbro-Galar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quick Draw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

This fucker has a 30% chance to turn a losing matchup into a winning matchup (Quick claw is banned with a 20% chance while not having access to a boosting item). This was very apparent while i was laddering for metagross, because with all sets, you need to pray that they don't get quick draw and destroy you with fire blast. On top of this, this mons typing and bulk is overall solid, so it can usually have 2 turns, meaning 2 opportunities to hit quick draw. Overall, I think it is very uncompetitive, especially on ladder where a bad player can use it, get lucky, and kill your elo.

Pros:
-30% chance of winning losing mu's
-good vs dfs
-taking 1600+ players elo with your 1200 elo
-already good typing
-did i mention it has a 30% chance to win losing mu's?
-destroy my clc laddering
-30% chance to win losing mus

Cons:
-Bad abuser (not true)
-You can't use if you are a decent person and don't like stealing people's elo because of pure luck
-Bad if you are unlucky
agreeing

qd is a remnant of a mechanic that we attempted to remove from 1v1 for good reason
it exacerbates the rng of an already partially luck based format
tmk the only argument presented against banning qd (and glowbro in general) is that its restricted to one mon, while the items banned covered rng across the board - however, given that glowbro can be put onto a team built around it or that it supports well, the claim that it isnt on the same scale is somewhat moot

i would support a ban on the mon (because for some reason people hate complex bans :?), since its pretty evident that it introduces a frustrating rng mechanic not inherent to the game (which i consider uncompetitive)

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
BDSP will be here in a week or so, but it won't have Home compatibility until at least Arceus is out. Regardless, I would still like to bring up Pokemon that will be neat for 1v1.

According to leaks, the entire Gen 4 National Dex will be available in game. You can figure out what that means here. Most of the completely new Pokemon are trash, besides a few exceptions:

Traditionally Good 1v1 mons include:
  • Golem
  • J̸͚̤̖̪͚̊͒̌̍̒ù̴̘̮m̸̛͖̤̽̃͋͜p̷̛̘̔̑͐l̴̰̆u̵͈͖̥̞̯͆̈́̇f̵͉̬̺̣̹͊̋̒͘f̶̫̜̓͐͗̌͜͠
    ̴͔̊̆̑͋͠
  • Donphan
  • Smeargle
  • Slaking
  • Deoxys Speed
  • Deoxys Defense (I doubt it's gonna be allowed, but-)
  • Infernape
  • Empoleon
  • Manaphy
  • Shaymin
(assuming Deo-N/A, Darkrai, Shaymin-Sky, and Arceus are banned)

These have a history of success in non-Z move metagames, and without mega evolutions should probably find some kind of niche. I highly suspect both Deoxys Defense and Speed will not survive banhammers, as the weaker metagame Gen 8 will make the stall variants horrible to contend with. I suspect Slaking will suck due to Endure spam (and to a lesser extent Protect) but who knows (edit: actually, I’m thinking Slaking won’t be that bad. Endure is a thing but Custap isn’t universal, and I think the tradeoff of having custap will be a weaker overall metagame, accentuating Slaking’s power. Either way, it won’t be super consistent vs anything that can viably run custap). Smeargle will do smeargle things, probably force the metagame to be faster, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I also suspect Golem and Donphan will be outclassed by Zygarde, but there's always going to be a place for powerful Sturdy mons in the metagame somewhere. Frankly, I don't think Infernape will be very relevant, as the top tiers right now pretty soundly handle it. I think maybe if Empoleon can find a way to handle stall Togekiss while guaranteeing the matchups it has due to typing, and potentially threaten the FDS cores, it will be the better of the two.

From this the Pokemon I most obviously see having success are Jumpluff, Manaphy, and Shaymin. Jumpluff's 110 speed is pretty excellent in Gen 8, and outside of Rillaboom (and potentially Shaymin), prominent Grass types are lacking (Kart and Ferro exist too). There will naturally be sleep counterplay that will rise up, but further pressure on teambuilding to accommodate for as many Pokemon as possible, something Gen 8 has had a problem with throughout its entire lifetime, will definitely suck and could make it easier to exploit teams in general. Manaphy I easily see as being successful, with its comparatively excellent bulk and speed + tail glow and coverage options allowing it to beat the S and S- rank mons. It may be strapped for EVs, and therefore not completely as consistent as it would like to be, but I think the threat will at least always be there. Shaymin, for similar reasons, will also be nice, adding another Leech Seed attacking staller to the midst, but having better speed + coverage than many of their contemporaries.

I also think there are a few nontraditional mons that I think could see usage across Gen 8, but this would just be pure theorycrafting at this point.
  • Staraptor
Staraptor has always been kinda screwed over by the powers that be but maybe, maybe it can do something this gen. Base 100 speed might allow Staraptor to run Adamant, which could give serious power to a reckless choice band set. I can't see this being more than a B tier mon, but I think it could be better than it ever has been.
  • Ambipom
Ambipom found a relatively nice niche in Gen 7, using Fake Out into Breakneck Blitz and the fact that it could run Adamant and still outspeed base 100s to break both Charizard forms and plenty of bulky offense. I think, with the weaker relatively bulk, it could replicate this success with something like a Life Orb set. Calcing a little bit, the damage output has many current sets in in KO range, but it could be EVed for. Ambipoms viability will probably depend on how viable it is to defend against it + everything else in the meta. Similar to Slaking, it will be screwed over by Endure, but unlike Slaking, it can always play around it, as per usual.

Regieleki, Celesteela, and Magnezone kinda shits on these; their viability seems limited. But I think there's something to be said about the niche of having hyper-offensive normal types; the only good one right now is PZ, which is not physical.

If you're going to respond to this, I'd ask that you also use Hide tags, for the people who would rather not be spoiled as to who is coming back.

Last edited:
1636671067018.png

Art by *Swords Of Death* and Google Images.

Welcome to the 1v1 Meme Set Compendium thread! This thread is used to showcase interesting sets that don't care about the boring 1v1 metagame. As with any resource, these notes should be kept in mind:

- post smartly; this is a set dump thread where you just throw in whatever random set you like using on ladder, this is meant to be a resource dedicated to sorting out the Pokemon that you love to use in the current metagame.
- words only go so far when it comes to making a convincing case to show you set; showing calcs and replays says a lot more about a Pokemon's interaction with others than simple speculation.
- discussion isn't frowned upon, but if it's a one-line response to someone's post or something, it'd probably be better just to bring it up to the person in pms or the room or somewhere that won't clutter the thread.
-remember, this is a place for meme sets, but don't throw in random sets like special Scizor (unless you actually believe it isn't total garbage), it probably won't get added to the compendium.

Other 1v1 resources like the Sets VR, Sample Teams, and the Sets Compendium will be coming soon! Just bear with me as I try to put everything together.

This is the link to the current Compendium LINK.
The pokemon in the Compendium will be shifted around once a proper tier list is created. Post any set you like as long as it follows the rules!
If you have any questions my username is Swords Of Death on showdown and I'll try to answer them if I am on.

Also thanks to Rosa for moving this post here so I didn't get into any trouble!

11/12/21: Corvikinght ID BP added
11/12/21: Necrozma CB added
11/12/21: Politoad added
11/12/21: Ninetales added
11/12/21: Corviknight WP added
11/12/21: Dubwool added

11/14/21 Relicanth added
11/14/21 Chandelure added
11/14/21 Shuckle added
11/14/21 Drifblim added
11/14/21 Durant added
11/14/21 Cofagrigus added
11/14/21 Runerigus added
11/14/21 Alcremie-Caramel-Swirl added
11/14/21 Alcremie-Mint-Cream added
11/14/21 Sylveon added
11/14/21 Tapu Lele added
11/14/21 Tapu Fini added
11/14/21 Pelipper added
11/14/21 Zapdos added
11/14/21 Moltres-Galar added
11/14/21 Articuno added
11/14/21 More Funny Names, Olivia Rodrigo edition added

11/15/21 Mamoswine added

Last edited:
View attachment 384733
Art by *Swords Of Death* and Google Images.

Welcome to the 1v1 Meme Set Compendium thread! This thread is used to showcase interesting sets that don't care about the boring 1v1 metagame. As with any resource, these notes should be kept in mind:

- post smartly; this is a set dump thread where you just throw in whatever random set you like using on ladder, this is meant to be a resource dedicated to sorting out the Pokemon that you love to use in the current metagame.
- words only go so far when it comes to making a convincing case to show you set; showing calcs and replays says a lot more about a Pokemon's interaction with others than simple speculation.
- discussion isn't frowned upon, but if it's a one-line response to someone's post or something, it'd probably be better just to bring it up to the person in pms or the room or somewhere that won't clutter the thread.
-remember, this is a place for meme sets, but don't throw in random sets like special Scizor (unless you actually believe it isn't total garbage), it probably won't get added to the compendium.

Other 1v1 resources like the Sets VR, Sample Teams, and the Sets Compendium will be coming soon! Just bear with me as I try to put everything together.

This is the link to the current Compendium LINK.

The pokemon in the Compendium will be shifted around once a proper tier list is created. Post any set you like as long as it follows the rules!
If you have any questions my username is Swords Of Death on showdown and I'll try to answer them if I am on.

Also thanks to Rosa for moving this post here so I didn't get into any trouble!
Love the idea of Banded 252+ Haxorous, will use for sure ^^

One of the riolus is evolite, it deals with taunt users better because if the opponent taunts t1 it needs to survive a single hit (you dig t1 and 3), which it surprisingly does (heatran, spectier, tapu koko (I had a game where it lived dazzling gleam), etc). also here's a fun calc.
0 SpA Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 SpD Eviolite Riolu: 240-283 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The second set is a normal set but it has magnet rise for choice users like haxorus and darmg.
The third set is just dig copycat but with toxic so its good against pokemon that learn recovering moves (besides rest). Others have mentioned this so I will remove that set.

DUBwool (Dubwool) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press
- Counter
- Body Slam

Beats any Shifu dark set by counting their close combat or wicked blow by countering, sitrus berry allows you to beat wicked blow. Dubwool makes for a good defensive Pokemon in general which could be good for the set compendium. The fluffy ability paired with incredible defensive potential with cotton guard and decent sp def makes it an incredibly fun Pokemon to use. Also decided to give it a name as awkward and cheesy as the other names in the set compendium.

DUBwool (Dubwool) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press
- Counter
- Body Slam

Beats any Shifu dark set by counting their close combat or wicked blow by countering, sitrus berry allows you to beat wicked blow. Dubwool makes for a good defensive Pokemon in general which could be good for the set compendium. The fluffy ability paired with incredible defensive potential with cotton guard and decent sp def makes it an incredibly fun Pokemon to use. Also decided to give it a name as awkward and cheesy as the other names in the set compendium.
wyd when they click bulk up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)