Resource 1v1 Sample Teams

This is the first team i have posted so feedback is encouraged.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Last Resort

Wobbuffet (F) @ Focus Band
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Encore

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Me First
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance
Truly an undefeatable team, very easy to use and super strong. I am now scared to face this team on ladder, as I know most players will be spamming it and there are literally no counter teams to it. I would advice removing this team from the thread, for I am afraid the metagame will be ruined

Since there have been so many People posting sample teams, and the pciture at the start of this thread is so nice, I'd like to submit my own sample team, one that i have created together with my friend 1 EAST. It's based around Kyurem-Regular. Since this is my first sample team i come up with, i'm of course open for all suggestions to make the team better.

Estuella-Astoth (Kyurem) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Glaciate
- Noble Roar
- Roost
- Earth Power

Kor-Maroth (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Estoom-Ozzoth (Zeraora) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Outrage
- Plasma Fists
- Bulk Up

Now, I say bait, because the Groundium-Z Kyurem, which most people especially on ladder don't really excpect to run Groundium (different in tours probably) beats Magearna and Aegislash, which defintely not everybody knows, especially on ladder. My Team also offers 3 counters to Dragonite and Zeraora and Mawile both beat Mega Gyara. I apologize this team has trouble against Metagross, especially bulky Metagross Mega. Kyurem has chance of living Metagross's Meteor Mash or Iron Head (IF METAGROSS DOES RUN LOW ATTACK before people tell me i'm not calcing properly) And OHKO back with Tectonic Range. Zeraora on the other hand can bulk up on Metagross, and win like that, unless it's high HP Metagross.
Zeraora is also a counter to both Zards. (There are properly unconventional sets that have a chance on Zeraora (Not going mega will o wisp physically defensive zard x MAYBE) but generally zeraora wins zards, I've calced Max HP/defense zard Y, and it takes around 98-116% from plasma fists, which will after fake out always be enough. Now Magearna is pertty interesting, since Kyurem has a chance to OHKO max HP Magearna with Z Move. But it might not might be the best counter. Ghostium Z Aegislash is won by Kyurem For sure tho, as Kyurem Outspeeds and 2HKOs. I'm submitting this team with swords dance now here, but i have previously run Taunt and Fire Fang, that can be changed on situation. (Possibly sniping O-O)
*edited*
So i've been notified very recently about different gyarados calcs than i did before. there appears to be a slight chance gyara lives zeraora,so don't catch me on saying zera is a 100%counter

Last edited:
thanks i will be moving the team there.
I'm sorry you got an answer that didn't help out.
Now, your team is still in stableprince's post refering to you and your team is truly not great. Instead of blindly bashing your team, i will give reasons to help making you improve. I hope this leads to you understanding the Metagame better, and you can post better teams in the future

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Last Resort

Now, very interesting idea of using Diancie here, but Lopunny is much better at using powerful Normal type moves, even STAB boosted.
Also, predicting Diancie, it's mostly going to face steel types, since they make Diancie's quad weakness, and Last Resort is not very effective on those.
Also Diancie misses a good Part of her best moves like STAB Moonblast, Earth Power, that may not provide same base power, but STAB, and much better coverage. Using a physical Rock Type Pokemon to counter both Zards, you'd be better off using Tyranitar Mega, if you don't want to run mixed diancie.

Wobbuffet (F) @ Focus Band
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Encore

Wobbuffet is pretty interesting, and using it with focus sash would be great. Focus band however only provides a 10% chance to live a move OHKOing, and praying for a 10% RNG is going to drop GXE and ladder rapidly. Also the Moveset is generally questionable. Encore seems not very useful, since wobbuffet does not benefit from locking enemy pokemon into a status move, because it can only deal damage when beeing damaged by damage-dealing attack (The damage in this sentence does a lotta damage). Safeguard is also uselss, with every speed trapper or popular sleep user beeing faster than wobbuffet anyways. Wobbuffet is just not as great as it used to be in gen 3/4, sorry m8.

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Me First
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance

Now this one's pretty interesting. The first question that came up when i saw this was the question for a stab move. There's better physical Fairy Pokemon (Play Rough) namely Mawile, Azumarill and more others.
Psyco Cut is also pretty interesting, but just dosen't work here. Trying to cover Absol's fighting type weakness with 2 Anti-Fighting Moves, is in theory good, but dosen't work with Kommo-o Infernape and Lucario all outspeeding and possibly (kommo-o i'm not sure) or surely (Lucario/Infernape) OHKOing your Absol. Things would've been different with possible sucker punch option. The Reason with Absol is here, that it wins basically nothing. It has speed trap sleep immunity, but looses to both zards, all tapus, gyarados, dragonite, magearna, zeraora, talonflame.
It might win aegislash and serp (don't catch me on this one dragonmirror if u look to bash me, i haven't calced i'm just assuming)
but there are better Pokemon( Dark Types even) that win both of them.

Now, I've tried to improve that team/ build a team after your type choice, trying to stay as similar to you as possible. Here we go

Ujoth (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Eok-Baroth (Sableye-Mega) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Metal Burst
- Foul Play
- Recover

Shub-Arboz (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

So i don't say this is the best team ever, and hopefully i don't get bashed by people saying me what this team looses too (I'm not perfect)
Mega Sableye serves as Absol having Magic Bounce, Victini is a not very Punching bag like Wobuffet-Psychich Type that supports Diancie taking out Lucario and such. this team probably looses to Aggron (As i said, it's not a perfect team) but it's somewhat balanced with Diancie and gives examples on Meta Pokemon, and contains typical meta team elements (a scarf sweeper, a more defensive pokemon and physical/special balance)
I hope this helped in some way. I made this team at 0:22 my time, so please if somethings' wrong with it, just make improve suggestions.

Three teams I think could easily be sample teams without losing to common threats, like Flynium SD LandoT for Dragonmirror's, Crunch Mgyara/CB Garchomp/Petaya Gren for Kentari's or CB Dragonite/Type Null for WoA's.
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 40 Def / 32 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 212 HP / 12 Atk / 176 SpD / 108 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electroweb
- Zap Cannon
- Metal Sound
- Flash Cannon

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 104 HP / 180 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 20 SpA / 24 SpD / 216 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Pain Split

Whimsicott @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 88 HP / 228 Def / 192 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 192 HP / 136 Atk / 28 Def / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 152 Def / 148 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blast Burn
- Hidden Power Electric
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge

Tapu Fini @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 228 HP / 96 Def / 68 SpA / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Brine
- Moonblast

The teams are pretty straightforward, and are good for beginners both in their simplicity and it's introduction to the 1v1 meta in the form of some of it's best Pokemon.
The first is a simple team, but with no real counters using some of the best pokemon in the tier.
Gyara bulks most attacks, then dds up to KO back. 144 Spe evs allow it to outspeed Jumpluff and Metagross at +1.
Charizard tanks a Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon, and boosts up with Flame Charge to KO with Outrage. Belly Drum lets Zard beat stall mons like Type:Null and Slowbro.
Magnezone is also useful as a stallbreaker using Metal Sound and deals with the bulky waters the other two struggle with like Tapu Fini.
The second is really interesting, luring Metagross with Babiri whimsi and introducing players to stall in the format.
The speed EVs allow Gyara to boost up against Specs greninja and outspeed at +1 while still tanking with it's HP investment. Taunt lets it beat stall mons.
Magearna is Magearna, has really good synergy with Gyara and beats the other fairy types and steel types that Gyara struggles with.
Whimsicott rounds out the team, beating metagross and stall mons like Smeargle with its priority Taunt. Babiri berry beats the steel types that beat Magearna like sub Metagross.
The third is just another solid team, good matchups all around.
Flyinium Dragonite's speed let it hit 351 at +1, outspeeding Jumpluff. Espeed and EQ round out the set, letting it beat threats like Magnezone and Heatran
CharY's EVs let it beat every MGyara set with HPElectric -> Solar beam/Blast Burn while tanking every +1 attack and always outspeeding. CharY also deals with key threats like Slowbro.
Tapu Fini catches a lot of stall mons that beat the other two with Taunt and Z Nature's Madness. It's EVs let it bulk something, I don't remember what since I stole this set from Mace lmao

Last edited:
Made a decent team outta the shit mess that is "my teambuilder and my brains"

Meloetta @ Normalium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Beam
- Uproar
- Psyshock

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpD / 196 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 180 HP / 176 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Arm Thrust
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

MHera speed creeps most Heatran spreads and tanks Modest Greninja Z-Cannon... Meloetta is max speed for Specs PZ, and std anti-DNite Zard.. Might lose to Scarf Fly DNite, but otherwise a decently solid team

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Stop the single line posts and teambuilding.
If you're having any second doubts about your sample team submission, I'd suggest deleting it and getting advice on the team from people in the 1v1 Room on Pokemon Showdown, the teambuilding channel in the 1v1 discord, or posting it in the Team Bazaar and Showcase thread.

Any posts without an actual sample submission are going to be deleted, as this thread's purpose is solely for the sake of sample teams and submitting them.

Here Sir or Lady i also apologize. I'll post a real sample team then. Feedback... (you guys will rip the team and bash it like u always do anyways so just tell what to do better) So

Serperior @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Cannon

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Sample Teams have finally been updated!

With this update, however, comes new rulings:
  1. Sample team submissions without descriptions will be deleted on the spot. If you're not going to bother explaining why your team is one of the best for beginners to use, don't expect much results. Some of the teams below may not have descriptions; this is mostly due to the fact that they were submitted long before the enforcement of having descriptions, and were reviewed by the VR Council to be good enough, despite the lack of explanation.
  2. Back and forth conversations about teams will be deleted on the spot. This thread is solely meant for the submission of potential sample teams, not oneliners critiquing them about how certain mons could be optimized or what 3-0s a given team. If you wish to engage in discussion about a certain sample team submission, you have options between the 1v1 room, the discord, or the Team Bazaar.
  3. You may make as many sample team submissions as you like, since waiting for the VR Council to vote on teams individually may end up taking a long time, as we've seen with the lull in changes to the sample teams. That said, you must still adhere to rule 1 and provide detailed descriptions for each team you submit.
With all that out of the way, here are the submissions that have been approved:

Lancer Fr's Triple Bulk Balance
type-null.png
tyranitar-mega.png
mawile-mega.png

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 140 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Confide
- Iron Defense
- Rest

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 184 HP / 100 Atk / 56 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Earthquake

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 112 Def / 124 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Metal Burst
I currently use this team only when I am placed above the 1700 elo bar but not below it, it is very important for me to know that because this team is very effective when you are not badly classified in the ladder and very difficult to 3-0, it took me a lot of concentration and days to think about a good synergy between it and also allowed me to remain in the 1800 bar for a while with account malbarr974. Type: Null is almost never used, I am one of the only players who probably uses it, but what some people don't know is that it has a huge potential to handle the majority of the most used unless Gyarados-M doesn't walk around with Mold-breaker because Type-null's special ability is "battle armor" blocking critical hits. M-Tyranitar is mainly here to handle taunt or something like that that might disrupt Mawile and Type: Null.
WailJesus's Dragon Fairy Steel Offense
metagross-mega.png
tapu-fini.png
haxorus.png

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
EVs: 96 HP / 160 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Ice Punch
- Magnet Rise
- Substitute

Tapu Fini @ Tapunium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 12 SpA / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Brine
- Moonblast
- Taunt / Calm Mind

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Iron Tail / Poison Jab
- Earthquake
This team is built around Magnet Rise Mega-Metagross, an excellent Pokemon due to it's immense attack and it's ability to counter a large portion of the metagame. Maximum speed is crucial on this set as it allows you to defeat opposing Metagross and to Magnet Rise before the opponent attacks. 96 EVs in HP allows Metagross to survive Adamant Scarf Landorus-T's EQ, meaning it can defeat all of the metagame's top ground type threats using Magnet Rise with the exception of Zygarde-C. Substitute functions as an excellent utility move as it allows you to create more favourable matchups against opposing Steel types such as Magearna or Aegislash. Tapu Fini excels in that it beats many threats that Metagross can't handle, namely Water and Fire types. Guardian of Alola is Fini's primary damaging move, removing 3/4 of the opponents HP meaning it is easy to finish off with a boosted Brine attack. 152 EVs in Defense along with a bold nature allows Fini to bulk 2 Thunder Punches from a 252 Attack Metagross while 96 Evs in speed ensures that it will outspeed fast Magearna. Taunt prevents this team from being vulnerable to stall mons, but Calm Mind may also be ran to avoid pressure from Slowbro. The final team slot goes to Haxorus, creating the powerful Dragon/Fairy/Steel team core. Haxorus' primary function on the team is to defeat mons that Metagross and Tapu Fini struggle against, such as Zeraora, Charizard-Y and Z-Conversion Porygon-Z. 252 EVs in Speed means it will outspeed any mon with 150 base Speed or less, as well as other scarf users such as non-timid Porygon-Z and Tapu Lele. Maximum Attack is mandatory in order to defeat glass cannon Pokemon before Haxorus itself gets attack. Outrage is Haxorus' primary attack, with the other moveslots going to powerful coverage moves.
stableprince569's Double Choice Offense
sawk.png
tapu-fini.png
victini.png

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch

Tapu Fini @ Tapunium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 12 SpA / 24 SpD / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Brine
- Icy Wind

Victini @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Flame Charge
stableprince569's MewTran Bulky Balance
whimsicott.png
mew.png
heatran.png

Whimsicott @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute
- Moonblast / Taunt / Encore

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Overheat
- Calm Mind
- Fake Out

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 96 HP / 180 SpA / 104 SpD / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Rock Tomb
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

All other submissions have either been rejected or are still in the process of being voted on.

Tired of teams that lose to common mons being posted, here's a gucci sample team:
EVs: 232 HP / 232 SpD / 44 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Will-O-Wisp

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 28 SpD / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Reflect
- Calm Mind

Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Overall a very solid team built around the versatile CharX Lele core, with Serperior rounding out a ton of matchups and acting as solid coverage. Beats pretty much every meta set using some good stuff too, great MUs across the board. Plus, these mons are good for new players and one could pick this up and smash up ladder.

I'm officially re-submitting this sample team by me, which has updated EVs for newer threats and ignoring some older ones... https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-double-drag-mag-bulky-offense.3649014/ (detailed description included in the RMT)

Edit: For the sake of proving that my team is not as "outdated", I tried laddering with it on a fresh, brand new alt..

The 125th game was me losing to Dragonmirror , so other than that, this is how far I got...... I could have gotten more, but hax got me into a very irritable mood (Sorry, Joker 1v1 , for letting it out on you), and so couldn't bother climbing any further.....

Last edited:

PA

Purgatory.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
~~ Whispers in the Wind (Bulky Offense~~)

This is a core based around Meloetta and Mawile as they both synergise really well with each other. The given EV's for Meloetta is used to beat both Zard's, Mew and Magearna props to ryyjyywyy for pugging me with the set.
Mawile checks Gyarados-Mega, Kommo-o, Magnezone and other Dragon-types bar Garchomp.
Suicune beats Garchomp opposing Mawile-Mega, Gyarados-Mega and the other Fire- and Ground-types prominent within the tier such as Volcarona, Landorus-Therian and etc. Overall, this is a very solid team with no glaring weaknesses whatsoever. Alternatively, you can make Meloetta Uproar instead of Calm Mind to beat sub Zard X.

Last edited:
GrenWings Balance (if you need a more serious name then fine)
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Clefable @ Psychium Z
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Magic Coat
- Reflect
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Overheat
- Quiver Dance

This team is using three OU Pokemon all with very distinctively 1v1 movesets and strategies.
Greninja is using a recharge move, because in 1v1 it doesn't matter that you need to recharge if the foe has fainted and the game is over. Clefable's stall is almost entirely dependent on the fact that in 1v1 they can't simply swap out for a better matchup. Volcarona's strategy of getting to swarm and using Z-move would be practically trolling in a regular metagame, as that would take a lot of hp and your Z-move, but in 1v1 this doesn't matter

The general idea behind this team is that Clefable would beat most things that would be able to outspeed and kill Volcarona, while Volcarona would be able to outspeed and kill anything that can beat Clefable. Greninja is here to fill in gaps in this strategy.

I will not explain Greninja or Volcarona's EV spreads, as they are self explanatory. Clefable's defense is calculated to be able to successfully set up Z-Reflect and stall out Mega Charizard X, while the rest is put into Special Defense.

Greninja's Hydro Cannon is the highest power move in the set, for hitting Pokemon like Heatran. Its Ice Beam is for Pokemon like Naganadel and Mega Altaria. Gunk Shot is primarily for Tapunium Tapu Fini. Hidden Power Ground is specifically for beating Magnezone by turning into a Ground-type in order to be immune to Electric attacks. Its Life Orb is to boost all of its damage.

Clefable's Psychium Z is to turn either Reflect into Z-Reflect for a +1 to Defense and a half to Physical Damage taken, or Magic Coat into Z-Magic Coat for a +2 to Special Defense with +4 priority. Moonblast is to chip away foes, Moonlight is for recovery.

Volcarona's Bug Buzz powered into Savage Spin Out while under Swarm's 1.5 times damage boost is its main way of winning, but Bug Buzz can also bypass Substitute. Overheat is to beat Steel-types like Magearna and Mega Mawile, Substitute is to get Volcarona into Swarm Range, and Quiver Dance is to boost its damage, tankiness, and speed.

Assuming no hax was involved, all three Pokemon get one shot by Choice Band Donphan and stalled out by Noble Roar Kyurem. There are a few matchups that would be good to know:
Greninja does not reliably beat Charizard
Clefable will have to predict if it is a Mega Charizard X or a Mega Charizard Y
Greninja's Ice Beam does not reliably beat Kommo-o
Greninja has no Dark Type moves, so it will not beat Pokemon like Mew and Aegislash
Clefable can use base Reflect then Z-Magic Coat to have a boost in both sides of bulk
Remember that Volcarona's Bug Buzz bypasses Substitute
Volcarona's Z-Quiver Dance can also potentially win a pp war, but only usually if the opponent misplays

Last edited:
I don't mean any disrespect to stableprince569 , but I think his MewTran sample team should be removed.

• At a glance, it seems to weak to Choice Specs Greninja, which is its most used set. You could argue that any anti-weakness berry could be used on Whimsicott, but that's just the beginning of the issues that plague that team.

• Most of the match-ups, particularly of the top used ones, hinge on it having the right move at the right time as far as that team is concerned, this causes that team to lose to other Pokemon, most of which are clumped together, which makes it tougher to counter a given team. Like, you need Encore Whimsicott to lock opposing Stall Pokemon onto their moves, but then you lose to Mega Gyarados. On the other hand, if you don't have Encore, you end up getting 3-0d by Pokemon like Mega Slowbro.

• Other Pokemon whose match-ups are based on having the right moves at the right time include but are not limited to: Kommo-o(Taunt and Flamethrower are both common on the same set, which makes the match-up vs this team hinge on Whimsicott having Moonblast), GoA Tapu Fini (Taunt is common, and again, Whimsicott needs to have Taunt to nail this matchup) and Porygon-Z (which again needs Taunt or Encore on Whimsicott to beat it against Recover Z-Conversion Porygon-Z)

Also, the worrisome number of 3-0s this team has is just sad.
| 7 | Greninja | 7.33488% | 51856 | 8.084% | 17922 | 17.046% |
| 23 | Meloetta | 4.05986% | 10373 | 1.617% | 4006 | 3.810% |
| 38 | Hoopa-Unbound | 2.15853% | 10663 | 1.662% | 3921 | 3.729% |
| 44 | Tyranitar-Mega | 1.75676% | 10733 | 1.673% | 3056 | 2.907% |
| 46 | Pheromosa | 1.75436% | 9088 | 1.417% | 3060 | 2.910% |
| 65 | Jumpluff | 1.16793% | 8848 | 1.379% | 2661 | 2.531% |
With many others being situational 3-0s.

• From a newcomer's point of perspective, a sample team is usually their first point of entry into the 1v1 experience, and if they end up not having many wins with the team they select, they might end up losing interest in that tier.

See, I am not trying to nitpick here. It is common knowledge that it is a herculean task to beat a team which can work in all settings, but I think we can make a case that teams should not lose to most commonly used sets of the top 60-70 commonly used Pokemon, so as to not have a glaring weakness to Pokemon that you are most likely to face on ladder.

P.S: I didn't mean to hurt or point fingers at any1. Just an honest feedback/suggestion from a player who cannot get 1v1 from his psyche!! If you wanna get offended on purpose, though :
:fukyu:

Chickenpie2

red:active
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bulu Balance

Prof Layton (Tapu Bulu) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Descole (Necrozma) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Stored Power
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

Don Paolo (Donphan) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Gunk Shot

Prof Layton (Tapu Bulu) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Descole (Necrozma) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Photon Geyser
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

Don Paolo (Donphan) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Play Rough

Been using this team since around Ladder Tournament 2 last year, its old but gold and hopefully still relevant. This team is based around Tapu Bulu, which has one of the most hardhitting moves. Even with a typically poor typing in Grass, Tapu Bulu has no trouble smashing its way through, OHKOing most targets with a +2 Z-Wood Hammer. Another perk of Tapu Bulu is that it has the coveted combination of Rock Tomb -> Taunt, allowing it to beat out faster stall Pokemon like Mew and Deoxys-S. Also mandatory Mega Gyarados check.

Necrozma was originally Psychium Z with Prismatic Laser / Photon Geyser to better deal with Kommo-o, but it’s interchangeable with the standard Aguav Berry Double Dance Stored Power set, as they both have the same functionality of stalling out hyper offensive Pokemon, while also being able to beat out typical stall Pokemon like Clefable and Mega Slowbro. It’s kind of a midground play that works well when in doubt. Its also my primary Dragonite check.

Donphan is the star of not only this team, but 1v1 has a whole, for me and my experiences at least. One of my friends used to run mono FEAR Donphan just for the shizzles and giggles. Band Phan is one of my favourite sets, its so much fun to just wreck stuff without them expecting it, and it really embodies the one shot wonders of 1v1, where Choiced items can be abused the heck out of to destroy anything of your desire. Like with Necrozma, this set changes a lot, depending on who and when I’m playing. Earthquake is pretty much the only must, the rest cycle between Stone Edge for Mega Charizard Y, Ice Shard for Landorus-T, Jumpluff and Garchomp, Fire Fang for Genesect (and the ever irrelevant Mega Scizor), Superpower for Air Balloon Heatran, Play Rough for Kommo-o, and famously Gunk Shot for other Tapu Bulu, or similar Pokemon (noticeably a Celebi in tour).

Possible threats include:
- Steel types that can beat Donphan (by utilising Magnet Rise/Air Balloon) like Mega Metagross, Magnezone, Aegislash, Taunt Heatran, Celesteela and PhysDef Mega Mawile that can tank Earthquake. Z-Calm Mind on Necrozma can help in negating the SpDef drops from Metal Sound.
- Serperior in particular can be a hassle as well, though Tapu Bulu and Necrozma can both potentially outplay.
- A Mega Gardevoir set that beats Tapu Bulu would 3-0 as well, but I've yet to meet one. (most people run bulky I guess)

Last edited:

pqs

Banned deucer.
Porygon-Z + 2 Megas Balance
porygonz (1).gif
altaria (1).gif
metagross (1).gif

Porygon2 +1 (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam
- Conversion
- Nasty Plot

Fluffykins (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 232 HP / 120 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Return
- Confide
- Roost

Both Mags Die (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 104 Atk / 252 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Iron Head / Meteor Mash
- Substitute
- Earthquake
With Porygon-Z's versatility in the metagame, I decided to make a team around it. Porygon-Z allows this team to beat threats like Metagross-Mega (which Altaria would 50/50 otherwise), Slowbro-Mega, Aegislash, and Primarina. Use Porygon-Z versus Pokemon you know you'll outspeed that you are able to OHKO or Z-Conversion up and kill in a couple turns with Shadow Ball. Nasty Plot is used to win against bulkier Pokemon such as Venusaur-Mega and Chansey. Porygon-Z's evs allow it to outspeed Sawk and Metagross-Mega, 40 HP evs allow Porygon-Z to not get boosted against by download. 252 SpA is used for as much power as possible.

Next, Altaria-Mega was on my mind as it quite frankly dominates the current metagame right now and beats so many top threats. Altaria-Mega wins versus both Charizard formes, Gyarados-Mega, Dragonite, Greninja (modest ice beam in your favor), Zeraora, Zygarde-Complete, Kommo-o, and much more. Use Altaria-Mega versus Physical-attacking Pokemon (which this meta has a surplus of) and Cotton Guard up to +6 and then Roost/kill with Return/Hyper Voice/Frustration. Altaria's evs tank Modest Greninja's Ice Beam most of the time and the rest is invested into defense.

Finally, Metagross-Mega was chosen after finding threats and trying to find a Pokemon that beats them. With Metagross-Mega on this team, you can beat faster fairy types that would otherwise just OHKO you with their Fairy-moves. Metagross-Mega allows this team to beat Magearna, Tapu Lele, Gardevoir-Mega, and Steel-type threats that this team also has a disadvantage to such as Magnezone and Heatran. Use Metagross-Mega versus almost anything that can't OHKO it as its HP is great and can almost 2HKO anything with its Tough Claws-boosted moves. Metagross's Speed and bulk allow it to tank a Timid Naganadel's Fire Blast and a Modest Greninja's Dark Pulse, while the rest of the EVs are dumped into attack.

Threats
  • Hoopa-Unbound has access to Gunk Shot and Ice Punch which both can to OHKO Altaria-Mega.
edit; added ev desc

Last edited:

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
RegiSerp Primarina Offense

Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Amnesia
- Seismic Toss
- Rest

Primarina @ Primarium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpA
Relaxed Nature / Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Aqua Jet
- Encore / Substitute

The team is built around the infamous Registeel + Serperior core. The two mons cover eachothers weaknesses with Serperior beating Taunt Gyarados, Zygarde-C and Garchomp that Registeel struggles with using its standard SubSeed set, while Registeel covering Specs Naganadel, Genesect, and Specs Greninja, Counter is used to bait threats such as Mega Lopunny and Choice Scarf Garchomp, while Amnesia is used to stall out special attackers, Seismic Toss to do consistent damage and Rest for recovery. Defensive Primarina fills in as the counter for both Mega Charizard forms as well as Kommo-o, Sawk, and Incineroar. Moonblast and Sparkling Aria are used for powerful STAB attacks, Aqua Jet for priority, Encore is used to beat stall pokemon such as Mega Slowbro by locking them into Calm Mind or Amnesia. Substitute can also be used to guarantee a Torrent boost against Pokemon that do not already put Primarina into Torrent range, such as Mega Metagross and Zygarde.

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Double Steel Lures

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 240 HP / 20 SpA / 104 SpD / 144 Spe
Calm Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Flamethrower

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 96 HP / 180 SpA / 104 SpD / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Rock Tomb
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
EVs: 160 HP / 80 Atk / 76 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

This is a team I have been using for ages, and have found a lot of tour and ladder success with it.

Kommo-O is EV'd to survive Timid Specs Ice Beam from Greninja, letting it OHKO back with Close Combat.
144 EVs in Speed let Kommo-O outspeed Raikou after Clangerous Soulblaze. The rest goes into SpA to boost it's damage minimally.

Heatran uses Grassium Z to lure and OHKO the common water types of 1v1 such as Primarina and Tapu Fini. It uses enough speed to outspeed base 100s after Rock Tomb, and its moveset lets it beat many of the most prominent threats in 1v1 such as Charizard and Magearna.

Metagross uses enough speed to outspeed Garchomp. The Spdef and hp EVs let it survive dark pulse from Timid Specs Greninja. The rest goes into attack to improve its offensive capabilities. Hammer Arm lets the team lure and beat Porygon-Z.

I find this team is really straightforward and easy to pilot. It is also a good introduction for newer players into the idea of a lure team. This team effectively lures many common Pokemon in 1v1, including Tapu Fini, Primarina, Porygon-Z, and Greninja. This makes it easier to know what your opponent is picking, perfect for new players.

ravioli (Serperior) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 4 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

acii (Crustle) @ Rockium Z
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Rock Blast
- Counter
- Shell Smash

maki (Victini) @ Psychium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 100 SpA / 12 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Glaciate
- Blue Flare
- Psychic

The team's core is Serperior+Crustle. Serperior helps crustle beat some of its main counter, including Mega Gyarados, Primarina, and Zygarde. In return, Crustle defeats Charizard X and Y, Greninja, and Naganadel. Victini wraps up the team nicely by cleaning up Dragonite, Sawk, Kommo-o, and Venusaur.
Serperior's evs allow it to tank a banded Garchomp's outrage, while keeping enough speed to outspeed base 110's.
Crustle's evs enable it to live an adamant ZardX outrage after a wisp to ensure that Crustle will always beat Bulky Wisp ZardX.
Victini can absorb a burnt adamant Dragonite's Z-Outrage + an Earthquake + E-speed, ensuring that it can wisp into 2ko with glaciate.

The team does lose to Registeel, Pyukumuku, Stally Deoxys-Speed, and 50/50s opposing Crustle with both Victini and our Crustle.
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 9.50.27 AM.png

Overall a great team, was spamming it on ladder and went 38/2 (one of those losses was cause my internet cut out)

thanks to acii for helping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)