Announcement 1v1 Suspect - One More Time (Kyurem-Black)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my battles, (I played about 80 with Kyurem-Black on my team) Kyurem-Black saw maybe 20 battles, really only taking precedence over my other (granted, bulky) options when it would guarantee a matchup that another couldn't or when I didn't want to guess about for their power levels. At the end of the day, Kyurem-Black felt like dead weight on my team. My exploration into a special scarf set ultimately made me disappointed. However, my experience with Kyurem-Black has only been playing against it (which gives me little information other than I have two other pokemon that beat it, even if they shouldn’t have) and playing with UOP’s first bulky Icium and UOP’s special scarf set. I know I haven’t played things perfectly, and looking back on laddering, there are sets that win against particular pokemon I was struggling against. Therefore, I am not yet knowledgeable enough to make a definitive decision, so the following is how I’ve perceived it from my usage.

The pros of Kyurem-Black seem to be:
  • Bulky
    • Really fits the meta well
  • A variety of sets of varying viability
    • Bulky physical variants are hard to break
    • Scarf special brings unpredictability (though lacks raw power)
    • Theoretically could be a bulky choice specs from 120 special attack
  • Conventional sets beat annoying pokemon
  • Makes sets change
    • Outrage on Mega Gyarados means there’s one less slot for crunch or earthquake
    • Allows other pokemon’s checks to play more reliably
      • Magnezone has a better match-up against Mega Gyarados lacking earthquake
Cons look like
  • Lack of a spammable physical ice stab
  • Loses (most of the time) to bulky waters and steels
    • (These sets are not mine. Kyurem-Black sets are UOP's and sets here are the compendium's)
I know these are all sets that aren't mine, I'm looking at the first tier
Band looks like the only one that wins this matchup, depending on RNG
the goal here being 66% or higher, otherwise momentum is lost to iron defense and rest/slackoff. EDIT: Kyurem-Black also doesn't get taunt, making this a complete loss.
  • Has strong check relevant in the metagame that aren’t super easy to patch up against in entirety
    • Terrakion
    • Magearna
  • Has quite a few checks that have little to no change in playstyle from A and B tiering
    • For example Adamant Mega Lopunny beats it 90+% of the time
      This set breaks some of Mega Charizard-X, which normally beats Mega Lopunny
  • Large opportunity cost to break its own counters
  • Limited movepool
    • This thing doesn't learn earthquake, thunderbolt, flamethrower
Ultimately what it comes down to is whether it’s predictable on the ladder. Seeing the same name, knowing how it went last time, and thinking about the damage they brought out makes a big difference. After 2 rounds of outright losing to a set, if you don’t have an answer to it, you won’t get anywhere for elo.

I’m a lowly ladder player, so I have no gauge on what happens in tournaments, as far as unpredictability goes. It doesn’t seem to have the problematic two-sets-that-beats-everything, and the opportunity cost it incurs to break its counters seems too much, at least for ladder. If anything, it seems to be a lure to set up your other pokemon but ends up being dead weight for what they cannot beat. It comes down, like a lot of pokemon, to execution, and at this point, I have not seen the execution to make it look oppressive.

Last edited:
In my battles, (I played about 80 with Kyurem-Black on my team) Kyurem-Black saw maybe 20 battles, really only taking precedence over my other (granted, bulky) options when it would guarantee a matchup that another couldn't or when I didn't want to guess about for their power levels. At the end of the day, Kyurem-Black felt like dead weight on my team. My exploration into a special scarf set ultimately made me disappointed. However, my experience with Kyurem-Black has only been playing against it (which gives me little information other than I have two other pokemon that beat it, even if they shouldn’t have) and playing with UOP’s first bulky Icium and UOP’s special scarf set. I know I haven’t played things perfectly, and looking back on laddering, there are sets that win against particular pokemon I was struggling against. Therefore, I am not yet knowledgeable enough to make a definitive decision, so the following is how I’ve perceived it from my usage.

The pros of Kyurem-Black seem to be:
  • Bulky
    • Really fits the meta well
  • A variety of sets of varying viability
    • Bulky physical variants are hard to break
    • Scarf special brings unpredictability (though lacks raw power)
    • Theoretically could be a bulky choice specs from 120 special attack
  • Conventional sets beat annoying pokemon
  • Makes sets change
    • Outrage on Mega Gyarados means there’s one less slot for crunch or earthquake
    • Allows other pokemon’s checks to play more reliably
      • Magnezone has a better match-up against Mega Gyarados lacking earthquake
Cons look like
  • Lack of a spammable physical ice stab
  • Loses (most of the time) to bulky waters and steels
    • (These sets are not mine. Kyurem-Black sets are UOP's and sets here are the compendium's)
I know these are all sets that aren't mine, I'm looking at the first tier View attachment 161676
Band looks like the only one that wins this matchup, depending on RNG
the goal here being 66% or higher, otherwise momentum is lost to iron defense and rest/slackoff. EDIT: Kyurem-Black also doesn't get taunt, making this a complete loss.
View attachment 161680
  • Has strong check relevant in the metagame that aren’t super easy to patch up against in entirety
    • Terrakion
    • Magearna
  • Has quite a few checks that have little to no change in playstyle from A and B tiering
    • For example Adamant Mega Lopunny beats it 90+% of the time
      View attachment 161673 This set breaks some of Mega Charizard-X, which normally beats Mega Lopunny
  • Large opportunity cost to break its own counters
  • Limited movepool
    • This thing doesn't learn earthquake, thunderbolt, flamethrower
Ultimately what it comes down to is whether it’s predictable on the ladder. Seeing the same name, knowing how it went last time, and thinking about the damage they brought out makes a big difference. After 2 rounds of outright losing to a set, if you don’t have an answer to it, you won’t get anywhere for elo.

I’m a lowly ladder player, so I have no gauge on what happens in tournaments, as far as unpredictability goes. It doesn’t seem to have the problematic two-sets-that-beats-everything, and the opportunity cost it incurs to break its counters seems too much, at least for ladder. If anything, it seems to be a lure to set up your other pokemon but ends up being dead weight for what they cannot beat. It comes down, like a lot of pokemon, to execution, and at this point, I have not seen the execution to make it look oppressive.
Very well formulated piece! I just wanted to add that I too feel that it feels somewhat of a deadweight when not running scarf. I've made several ladder accounts for the suspect and tried using KyuB but ultimately a gyarados, Magearna, charizard has gotten me the farthest and I'm pretty close to reqs.
The problem is although true counters are limited, the amount of kyurem checks running around in the meta is absurd. People say it's a complete problem, but it literally has no effective options to kill magearna with (groudium Z has a chance to KO but not garunteed; and if it has any defensive investment it can't)
Also one thing I thing to note is adamant scarf and specs. Adamant scarf beats mega gyarados a large portion of the time, and specs can catch a lot of opponents off guard

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Got something bigger and better coming soon, but in the mean time, here's a quick rebuttal.
Lack of a spammable physical ice stab
UOP Haban vs. first gyarados
UOP band vs. Mega Slowbro
Limited movepool
I could very well go into the facts that Ice Beam and Freeze Shock are more than sufficient for KyuB, that (most) Haban sets aren't meant to beat Gyarados, that Band isn't meant to beat Mega Slowbro, or that KyuB has one of the most expansive movepools in the meta, but that's not the underlying issue with this argument. The issue is that it focuses on what KyuB doesn't do rather than what it does do. Imagine saying that Mega Salamence would be better if it learned Boomburst, but it doesn't, so it's not broken. It doesn't form any coherent point.
Terrakion: Beats KyuB, ZardX, ZardY, Porygon-Z, Mega Venusaur, Heatran, Naganadel, Mega Tyranitar, Victini, Blacephalon, (some celesteela), Ferrothorn, Mega Pinsir and Chansey
It only beats some non-Grass attack Mega Venusuar, beats Naganadel only under the condition that it's a really fat variant which aren't common, and unless you're really running Fightinium or Band (which ruin its capability to hard counter Zard), it's not beating Ferrothorn.
Also looking at this top 50 usage, which should logically be viable mons, there's a lot of them that actually beat Kyurem-Black with varying consistency
A) Usage doesn't equal viability, and scarcely resembles it at lower ratings. Amazing mons like Mega Slowbro, Landorus-T, and Jumpluff are used less than C- rank Mega Alakazam.
B) Varying consistency is key. You can't tell what set KyuB is at team preview which results in huge guessing games unless you bring one of its few near-counters like Magearna or Terrakion. If you're not convinced that you can't tell what set KyuB is at team preview, here's an old post of mine: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-metagame-discussion.3587523/page-31 (yes the first half is about Deoxys, Kyub is right below).

Alright, I probably won't get reqs, but I'll post my opinion on kb now that it's been a few days into the suspect.

Before the suspect, I honestly wasn't sure how kb would preform. I was for unbanning it, but I could see why it could be ban worthy. However, now that it's in the teir, I can safely say that I'm 100% in favor of UNBAN. I'll explain my reasoning later, but let's first bust some myths that are in the favor of ban.

1. KB has no viable counters.

This has been debunked by others already. Read Dom's and UnleashOurPassion's posts on this topic. 8 mons in the S and A ranks beat it consistently (Gyarados, Magearna, Lele, Meloetta, Metagross, Slowbro, Gardevoir, and Mew), while other 'mons like Mawile, Aegislash, Haxorus, and if you wana go there, yes Terrakion beats it too. Some other mons like the 'Zards and Porygon can beat it as well

2. KB is too versatile.

another point I disagree with. Yes, it has many sets (Ground-z, Electric-z, Ice-z, scarf, etc), but most of these sets are pointles (Ground-z only has around a 18% chance to OHKO Mag with a little spdef). In fact, I'd say the only viable sets are Bulky band, Ice-z, and scarf, all lose to the aforementioned mons (although Band may be able to beat Gyarados). So while yes, KB does have a multitude of sets, they don't help KB beat any of its checks/counters (except for Gyara).

These are the 2 main reasons I find KB to not be broken, but I'll mention a few other points. But first, since all of you guys are probably bored, go take a break. Take a walk, eat something, or watch this video:

Back? Ok, good. here are some other points I want to bring up

3. KB shouldn't have been banned in the first place.

This is true. However, I feel that using this as an argument to unban KB is weak, as it doesn't really say anything about its strengths/weaknesses in the metagame, or why it should be unbanned

4. KB fits into the metagame perfectly.

I agree KB fits in really well currently. However, the meta is constantly shifting (even if there hasn't been something banned/unbanned recently) so something popular now may be not as popular in in a few weeks. This could mean that some KB checks aren't as popular as they were. Because of this, I don't really see this as a good pro-unban argument.

Keep in mind, I'm still Pro-unban, I just feel that these 2 last arguments are weak arguments to make (even if I agree with them).

TL;DR: I feel that KB is not broken and should be UNBANNED because I feel that it has a good amount of stable counters (mons that can beat all or most sets), and it has a limited amount of viable sets.

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Built a bunch of KyuB sets, so here they are: https://pokepast.es/4cc9b6a1fc60f96e If you're looking for a more in depth analysis of what each sub-set does, open the spoiler below.
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Rock Slide / Iron Head / Fly
General offensive. Max speed helps against opposing KyuBs and max atk is good for some rolls

EVs: 200 Atk / 92 SpD / 216 Spe
Lonely / Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
Same set as above, but with SpD calced for Primarina

EVs: 200 Atk / 92 SpD / 216 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Iron Head / Fly
- Rock Slide / Iron Head / Fly
Same set as above, but not having Ice Beam means different natures

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty / Lonely / Naive / Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earth Power / Fly
- Rock Slide / Fly
- Iron Head / Fly

EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 184 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt / Earth Power / Rock Slide / Fly
Bulky Scarf beats stuff like Band Victini, Zard Y, and Tapu Lele

EVs: 244 HP / 24 Atk / 48 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt / Rock Slide / Fly
- Earth Power / Rock Slide / Fly
Same set as above, but without Ice Beam, there's little need to hit the 110 Speed tier

EVs: 172 HP / 28 Atk / 92 Def / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam / Rock Slide / Iron Head / Fly
Physically bulky Scarf brings a bit more power and speed and still beats ScarfChomp and BandTini

EVs: 16 HP / 84 Atk / 192 Def / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam / Iron Head / Fly
Same set as above but no Fusion Bolt, so it's not calced for Primarina

EVs: 236 SpA / 92 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam / Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Flash Cannon

EVs: 196 SpA / 96 SpD / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Bolt
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Fire] / Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Flash Cannon

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam / Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast / Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Flash Cannon

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Outrage
- Earth Power / Ice Beam / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute
- Fusion Bolt / Ice Beam / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute
Lives opposing KyuBs Outrage

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Earth Power / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute
- Fusion Bolt / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute
- Ice Beam / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute
Lives Zard X Outrage

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Impish Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Outrage
- Icy Wind
- Hone Claws
Icy Wind is only to be used in conjunction with Hone Claws. Beats Mew

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Icy Wind
- Hone Claws
- Earth Power / Fusion Bolt / Laser Focus / Substitute

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Careful Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Icy Wind / Rock Tomb
- Laser Focus / Hone Claws
- Fusion Bolt / Earth Power / Hone Claws / Substitute / Ice Beam
SpD beats stuff like Zard Y and Porygon-Z. Icy Wind or Rock Tomb with Laser Focus beats Tapu Lele

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Careful Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Earth Power / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Rock Tomb
- Fusion Bolt / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Rock Tomb / Substitute
- Ice Beam / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Rock Tomb / Substitute

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 232 HP / 52 SpD / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Earth Power / Hone Claws / Substitute
- Fusion Bolt / Hone Claws / Substitute
- Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute
Speedy; lives P-Z Hyper Beam

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 220 HP / 64 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute
Speedy; lives Garchomp Outrage and Victini V-Create

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Icy Wind
- Hone Clawa

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Icy Wind
- Hone Claws

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Earth Power / Hone Claws / Substitute / Outrage
- Fusion Bolt / Hone Claws / Substitute / Outrage
- Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Substitute / Outrage

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Icy Wind
- Hone Claws

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpD / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Noble Roar
- Roost
- Laser Focus / Hone Claws
Noble Roar+Roost can beat most Magearna, Fini, and Primarina. High PP move in last slot is required to stall out Magearna

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 8 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Roost
SubRoost beats Magearna. The rest of the Iciums are SubRoost variants of the other sets

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 44 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute
- Roost
- Earth Power / Fusion Bolt / Ice Beam / Laser Focus / Hone Claws

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Careful Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute
- Roost
- Earth Power / Fusion Bolt / Ice Beam / Laser Focus / Hone Claws / Rock Tomb

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute
- Roost
- Earth Power / Fusion Bolt / Laser Focus / Hone Claws

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Impish Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
Lives KyuB and Zard X Outrages

EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 48 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
Lives Zard Y BBurn and Lele Shattered Psyche

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt / Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Earth Power
- Iron Head / Earth Power

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast / Earth Power / Fusion Bolt
Lives Genesect Specs Flash Cannon

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Fusion Bolt
- Focus Blast / Fusion Bolt
Lives Porygon-Z Hyper Beam

Kyurem-Black @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Laser Focus
- Icy Wind / Earth Power / Substitute / Hidden Power [Fire]
Laser Focus+Draco beats some unique stuff like Slowbro. Outrage is useful for Chansey and the like

EVs: 208 HP / 48 Def / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Laser Focus
- Icy Wind / Earth Power / Substitute / Hidden Power [Fire]

Lonely Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Laser Focus
- Fusion Bolt

EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Laser Focus
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Icy Wind / Earth Power / Substitute

Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Laser Focus
- Icy Wind / Substitute / Fusion Bolt / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power / Substitute / Fusion Bolt / Hidden Power [Fire]

EVs: 208 HP / 48 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Laser Focus
- Icy Wind / Substitute
- Earth Power / Substitute

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 48 Def / 168 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam / Fly
- Earth Power / Fly
Lives hits as strong as Specs Naga and Band Victini

Kyurem-Black @ Haban Berry
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Laser Focus
- Ice Beam / Earth Power / Hone Claws / Substitute
Crit Fusion Bolt OHKOs almost all Gyarados. EVs outspeed it and optimize rolls

Kyurem-Black @ Roseli Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 48 Def / 120 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Tomb
- Fusion Bolt / Ice Beam / Outrage / Hone Claws
- Earth Power / Ice Beam / Outrage / Hone Claws / Substitute
Anti-Gardevoir

Kyurem-Black @ Roseli Berry
EVs: 44 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpD / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Tomb
- Ice Beam / Outrage
- Fusion Bolt / Outrage / Earth Power / Ice Beam / Hone Claws / Substitute
Faster to beat Dnite

Kyurem-Black @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 56 Def / 44 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam / Hone Claws / Substitute
Beats Lopunny

Kyurem-Black @ Groundium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 236 Def / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Bolt
Beats most Metagross and Magearna

My 2 cents on KyuB :

What I feel pushes Kyurem-B over the edge is the fact that it can prepare for almost any Pokemon a person's team need. Apart from a few choice counters like Terrakion, Magearna (discounting the Noble Roar Roost, coz I fail to see the set beat anything other than that), and Mega Lucario to name a few, Kyurem-B is able to tank hits from anything and return damage in full. And yes, I am talking about BandSpecs Kyurem-B. People have been stating that there is an opportunity cost involved in running other spreads and moves to counter specific Pokemon. I say, my team is able to handle said "opportunity cost", so Kyurem-B can do what it does best - wreck havoc on the meta. This is also what sets it apart from other Pokemon - its ability to tackle any Pokemon (bar a few) to support its teammates in the teambuilding phase. This also puts immense teambuilding pressure, since it is not easy to guess at Team Preview what KyuB it would be, though u can hazard a guess based on team composition. This in turn leads to immense teambuilding pressure, for you are forced to run more than one counter, or one of the few sureshot counters lest you risk losing to one of its many sets. Having said that, there are set-dependant counters, and Kyurem-B can be taken care of once the set is known, but on balance, since it puts a lot of pressure on both teambuilding and picking stages of the game, I would like to see it go, and will be voting Ban

Last edited:

pazza

Banned deucer.
kyub should be banned.

1. it has too many sets and the only thing that really counters it 100% of the time aren't even that viable

2. it beats its counters with its other sets

3. it's pretty centralizing like Kowa tried saying
KowaTheSabiiToday at 1:52 PM

KyuB has so many hard counters, and increases the viability of so many Pokémon

the fact that one pokemon can make so many more pokemon viability or lowers their viability is just something.

4. it has really good stats. high power, pretty bulky and ok speed, with an amazing movepool and a pretty good ability for 1v1

okay bye

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
1. KB has no viable counters.

This has been debunked by others already. Read Dom's and UnleashOurPassion's posts on this topic. 8 mons in the S and A ranks beat it consistently (Gyarados, Magearna, Lele, Meloetta, Metagross, Slowbro, Gardevoir, and Mew), while other 'mons like Mawile, Aegislash, Haxorus, and if you wana go there, yes Terrakion beats it too. Some other mons like the 'Zards and Porygon can beat it as well
Gyarados loses to Laser Focus Haban and Weakness Policy, Magearna loses to Groundium and Noble Roar, Tapu Lele loses to fast Band/Icium and SpD Icy Wind, Meloetta(?) loses to most sets, Slowbro loses to Dragonium, Mew loses to Icy Wind, Mawile loses to Groundium and sometimes Specs, Aegislash loses to most Sub variants, Haxorus loses to PhysDef and/or Haban, Zards don't counter it by any stretch, and P-Z loses/wins on a set-dependent basis to KyuB. There's ways to beat Metagross and Gardevoir with KyuB too, but they're more niche than anything I've mentioned which is pretty niche. Mons that near-counter KyuB exist, but are so few in number that being expected to bring one puts massive strain on teambuilding.
2. KB is too versatile.

another point I disagree with. Yes, it has many sets (Ground-z, Electric-z, Ice-z, scarf, etc), but most of these sets are pointles (Ground-z only has around a 18% chance to OHKO Mag with a little spdef). In fact, I'd say the only viable sets are Bulky band, Ice-z, and scarf, all lose to the aforementioned mons (although Band may be able to beat Gyarados). So while yes, KB does have a multitude of sets, they don't help KB beat any of its checks/counters (except for Gyara).
See my post directly below yours. No one of those sets is outclassed by another. Each has a different list of wins and losses than every other. To say that bulky Band, Icium, and Scarf are its only viable sets is absolutely laughable. KyuB's worst sets are better than half of the meta, so while using Haban or Roseli for example might not be optimal by KyuB standards, the sets stand on their own as decent Pokemon, not even counting the lure potential of them.

I'm pro-ban, but these arguments are also bad so even though I agree with pazza's conclusion of keeping KyuB banned, here goes:
2. it beats its counters with its other sets
*It beats its checks with other sets. Saying that something beats its counter is an oxymoron.
3. it's pretty centralizing like Kowa tried saying
KowaTheSabiiToday at 1:52 PM

KyuB has so many hard counters
"KyuB has so many hard counters"
A) Wrong
B) This doesn't support keeping KyuB banned
and increases the viability of so many Pokémon

the fact that one pokemon can make so many more pokemon viability or lowers their viability is just something.
Every Pokemon in the meta influences the viability of every other Pokemon in the meta. This isn't anything unique to KyuB. That said, there's still an important point to made in here in that KyuB warps the meta and teambuilding around it unhealthily.
4. it has really good stats. high power, pretty bulky and ok speed.
This applies to Slaking and Regigigas too... These traits can contribute to a Pokemons viability, but don't mean anything unless that potential can be realized. That said, KyuB has more than enough tools to utilize its stats with a wide movepool and a great ability so-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)