2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there might still be a chance if we all get dumped out in the next round and Italian teams go far. But I think it's realistically not very likely.

I think there might still be a chance if we all get dumped out in the next round and Italian teams go far. But I think it's realistically not very likely.
Man city should get a favorable match up and if arsenal don't get real madrid or barca, then they have a chance to advance if they aren't all injured. Chelsea need a good run of form, not like what they have now, to have a good shot going through. Juventus are hitting their stride which is scary, but Roma look like a round of 16 exit. The scary part for england is what happens in the europa league. That is where italy is making up the points

Nice to see Augsburg snatch the result they needed late to progress. Also I think Tottenham can go far in Europa league with all the attacking options available and a much improved back line, while Borussia Dortmund should pick up the slack after a under-par performance against PAOK and the group stage overall.

All 3 italian teams made it through in europa league which puts pressure on england to do well in europa league as well. Props to Molde for knocking out 2 powerhouse teams and topping a group with 3 pretty good teams (don't berate me for saying celtic are good, in europa league they are a threat in the group stages). Dnipro goes from finalists to eliminated in the group stages, monaco have fallen further. Other notable exists- Apoel, az alkmaar, Besiktas, ajax, paok, bordeaux, club brugge, legia warsaw

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
England needs to make roughly 1 point more than Italy to stay in top 3 next season. Right now they are ahead .3 points, so Italy will take their spot if it stay like that. I expect both teams from Rome to get eliminated next round, which leaves Juve and Napoli. While Napoli is a contender for the EL title, Juve's performance will depend heavily on the draw. But as long as United, Tottenham, and Liverpool perform at least okish in the EL England should be fine. It's a close race though.

Nvm forgot about Fiorentina lol

Look here for more details.

England needs to make roughly 1 point more than Italy to stay in top 3 next season. Right now they are ahead .3 points, so Italy will take their spot if it stay like that. I expect both teams from Rome to get eliminated next round, which leaves Juve and Napoli. While Napoli is a contender for the EL title, Juve's performance will depend heavily on the draw. But as long as United, Tottenham, and Liverpool perform at least okish in the EL England should be fine. It's a close race though.

Nvm forgot about Fiorentina lol

Look here for more details.
Fiorentina didn't top their Europa league group so it will depend more on their draw again.

only effects Arsenal :P
Last time I checked, Arsenal is still ahead of Man Utd in the league. They also finished above Man Utd last season. Plus, Martial's goals have suddenly dried up (with LvG's tactics) while Rooney hasn't been great since 2008. I know Arsenal have injuries but still, Man Utd have shown that when they go for the offense, their defense becomes bad while their attacks become blunt when they played defensive (which is 90% of the time)

only effects Arsenal :P
well considering we're in 2nd right now...

Tott to reach EL finals this year? Looks like a strong squad, how far do people think Liverpool will go? I think they could make final 4 if their performances in the EL improve and Benteke finds form or Sturridge stays fit for longer than a week.

In the CL I think our team (arsenal) will have something to prove this year and we could best Atletico, Zenit or Wolfsburg if we really buckle down, but I don't see us getting past the group of 8 if we make it that far.

I really hope PSG gets paired with City in the group of 16, would be great to see as they both need to do better than they have in European fixtures as of late, could be really intense, or very stale.

well considering we're in 2nd right now...

Tott to reach EL finals this year? Looks like a strong squad, how far do people think Liverpool will go? I think they could make final 4 if their performances in the EL improve and Benteke finds form or Sturridge stays fit for longer than a week.

In the CL I think our team (arsenal) will have something to prove this year and we could best Atletico, Zenit or Wolfsburg if we really buckle down, but I don't see us getting past the group of 8 if we make it that far.

I really hope PSG gets paired with City in the group of 16, would be great to see as they both need to do better than they have in European fixtures as of late, could be really intense, or very stale.
The hope for liverpool is that klopp takes the europa league seriously, and if tottenham actually take it seriously then they might actually go pretty far. Unless Van Gaal is fearing for his job, dont think united will take it too seriously which takes down englands score. Psg will beat everyone they are paired up with except barca and bayern

EL has some decent teams in there too. Leverkusen, Sevilla, Valencia, Dortmund, Villarreal, Porto, Olympiakos and Napoli could be tough opponents for the English teams.

PSG is great but Atletico, Wolfsburg and Man City could give them a run for their money. Arsenal better pray they don't get Barca or Real (they seem to always get tough opponents early in the knock out stages except last season. ) Even the three I mentioned just now stands a good chance of knocking them out.

And here I am waiting for a Barca vs. Munich final.
unless they get paired up before the final, or psg catches fire and beats them since they have attacking talent to do that.

Also a question, does anyone else watch those soccer skill videos on youtube? Not the freestyle ones or how to videos but the ones that are edited from pro matches, just curious if anyone knows someone who is actually pretty good that i havent seen yet

EL has some decent teams in there too. Leverkusen, Sevilla, Valencia, Dortmund, Villarreal, Porto, Olympiakos and Napoli could be tough opponents for the English teams.

PSG is great but Atletico, Wolfsburg and Man City could give them a run for their money. Arsenal better pray they don't get Barca or Real (they seem to always get tough opponents early in the knock out stages except last season. ) Even the three I mentioned just now stands a good chance of knocking them out.
Don't forget Schalke, Fiorentina, Basel, Sporting Lisbon and maybe even Rapid Wien and Marseille. Some of those teams might not be as good as those others but they're worth a mention nonetheless (still don't know how Basel managed to not beat Maccabi Tel-Aviv in the Champions League playoffs).

Last edited:

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Group A: France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland

Group B: England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia

Group C: Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Northern Ireland

Group D: Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia

Group E: Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Sweden

Group F: Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary

what do you think lads?

Group A: France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland

Group C: Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Northern Ireland

Group D: Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia

Group E: Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Sweden

Group F: Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary

what do you think lads?
Group A- France Switzerland
Group B- Wales Russia
Group C- Germany Poland
Group D- Spain Croatia
Group E- Belgium Italy
Group F- Portugal Iceland

Group A Placings: France, Switzerland, Albania, Romania
Group C: Germany, Poland, Ukraine, N.Ireland
Group D: Croatia, Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey (Definitely the most difficult group)
Group E: Italy, Belgium, Ireland, Sweden
Group F: Austria, Portugal, Iceland, Hungary

edit: phalanx the phrase you're looking for is "borderline".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)