2017/18 (Soccer) Football Thread

that badge is horrendous lmao. what were they thinking? they went about it allllll wrong.

they had such a nice badge too.. what a soulless look. its like a fucking logo for a tshirt company.

Watching Sturridge now makes me feel a bit sad. For the first 18 months he was with us, he was world class. Sadly, injuries have taken a toll on him.

I'm still wondering why clubs didn't even try moving for Aubameyang. 60 mil in this crazy market is a bargain for someone who has scored close to 40 goals for the past 2 seasons (and is on track for yet another great season).

Yeah I don't understand transfers sometimes. Why did Conte want Batshuayi out when he was doing perfectly well? From what I've watched, the front three of Bats, Haz and Willian always looked better and more fluid (and scored more goals) than the front two of Morata and Hazard or when Hazard was used as striker. Maybe it's because Conte only ever used Bats in easy cup games but still, Hazard hasn't done well at all as a false nine in the league.

You can see why Arsenal wanted Auba but I guess just no other club needed a fast goal poacher! But yeah the lack of any interest in Auba is surprisingly considering his scoring record. I also don't understand why City refused to get Sanchez for more than 20m and then immediately makes a 60m bid for Mahrez. OK age and wages might be a factor but Sanchez is the more proven superstar so it still doesn't make much sense if they were in the market for a new winger.

Arsenal still shit at the back. Ramsey is huge for us. New boys look just fine.

Mhiki is honestly probably thrilled he can play some proper football now.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
You can see why Arsenal wanted Auba but I guess just no other club needed a fast goal poacher! But yeah the lack of any interest in Auba is surprisingly considering his scoring record. I also don't understand why City refused to get Sanchez for more than 20m and then immediately makes a 60m bid for Mahrez. OK age and wages might be a factor but Sanchez is the more proven superstar so it still doesn't make much sense if they were in the market for a new winger.
There's 3 reasons for that, first that it's hard to think of a team that doesnt have a striker as good or better than Aubameyang and that can afford paying 63M €. The second is that Aubameyang has already played Champions League this season, which makes him even less enticing for teams that may need a striker like Real Madrid. Third, he's 28. Splashing 60 million during the winter transfer market for a player that can't play Champions League and who's only going to decline in the future is not smart business.

HOWEVER, I think it makes a lot of sense for Arsenal, and I actually think Arsenal was the most succesful team in this transfer window. Arsenal isn't playing Champions League this season so that wasn't an issue, and it's very likely that they won't qualify for next season's UCL either. They also had to offload Sanchez and look for a replacement, and let's be honest Aubameyang is the best Arsenal could hope for considering their situation. Arsenal was able to get Mkhitaryan (who is extremely good and a very underrated player) and secure Özil's contract as well. I hear a lot of people say that Arsenal did poorly because they lost Sanchez but I dont think its that big of a deal, Aubameyang is just as good and signing Mkhitaryan (who's better than both) more than makes up for it.

Arsenal still needs to improve the defense, but if they manage to do that during summer they'll be in a fantastic spot. So kudos to them for doing good business last month, though I'm sure they'll somehow fuck up in summer.

PS: Speaking of clubs doing bad business, the amount of good young players Schalke lets go for free is ludicrous. Last year it was Kolasinac and Matip, and now they're losing Goretzka (their best player) to Bayern.

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got to say, I'm loving Chelsea's form right now.

-2 wins in 10 games
-Have Barcelona coming up in UCL
-Upcoming EPL matches against Man U and Man City
-Conceded 7 goals to Bournemouth and Watford
-Gave Crystal Palace their first win of the season
-Lost to West Ham while they were in terrible form.

-Bakayoko is still in their team.

Got to say, I'm loving Chelsea's form right now.

-2 wins in 10 games
-Have Barcelona coming up in UCL
-Upcoming EPL matches against Man U and Man City
-Conceded 7 goals to Bournemouth and Watford
-Gave Crystal Palace their first win of the season
-Lost to West Ham while they were in terrible form.

-Bakayoko is still in their team.
- Gary Cahill still starts

Bakayoko is defo up there for worst player of the season. It's not just that he doesn't defend but he's also selfish and rampages up the field before shooting miles wide and he does this every game. I thought Conte was an amazing manager but now I'm having doubts coz I don't know how Bakayoko keeps staying in the team after every horrendous performance - it's frustrating to watch as an Arsenal fan and that's saying something!

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bakayoko is defo up there for worst player of the season. It's not just that he doesn't defend but he's also selfish and rampages up the field before shooting miles wide and he does this every game. I thought Conte was an amazing manager but now I'm having doubts coz I don't know how Bakayoko keeps staying in the team after every horrendous performance - it's frustrating to watch as an Arsenal fan and that's saying something!
I beg to differ. I very much enjoy watching Bakayoko fuck up every game as an Arsenal fan!

And to think that he was one of the most highly rated young midfielders before this season. Sounds more like players believe their own hype.

You do know VVD's case was because
1) Liverpool didn't turn up for 2 of the 3 games (you can't expect 1 man to solve the problem)
2) Against Spurs, Wanyama scored a worldie. And Moss being an asshole in giving 2 non penalties to Spurs, right?

One day... one day Wenger will leave and our tactics will change, our demeanor will change, and our expectations for players will change.

Such mediocrity for no reason.. we have plenty of fucking talent. No one is being pushed. Wenger is too fucking soft and outdated. It's wild.

But.. none of it was surprising.. and i had 0 expectations today for a win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)