2018-19 NBA Thread

it was a charming anecdote and i shant be shamed for it.
sure, but what does that have to do with anything? nash's suns were maybe the best offense in the history of the nba, though they're prolly behind golden state. he was indisputably the engine of those offenses and the team's best player. kobe was arguably never the best player on a title team - shaq is inarguable, pao is disputable but i'll dispute it. kobe was fantastic. but it's impossible to overstate nash's offensive talent. comparable to curry, perhaps the best offensive player of all time.
It matters because you could put Kobe in the 90s or 80s and he would be nearly as good because 9f his footwork and post play, where as Nash would have been destroyed if he tried to get near the rim. Hell even his first step wasn't exceptional, he just knew how to leverage his body to his advantage with the new rules. The "modern" NBA started in 1984. You can move players from after that time around anywhere and make fairly accurate comparisons. Case in point is how much better nash would fare in today's game, especially this season with even more restrictions on defense and the offensive explosion. But he would be trash in the late 80's and early 90's. A truly transcendent talent could thrive despite the era. Someone like Lebron or Anthony Davis would be good regardless of the era. But hey, I also loathe Westbrook, Wall, Harden and other overrated point guards of this decade

Rondo loves playing the Blazers, Zu put in solid minutes tonight, Josh Hart is a stud, and McGee is looking like one of the best acquisitions this summer.

Not the first time scrubs have career nights against us and it won't be the last. Terrance Ferguson got his career night vs us last season smh.

That game was over after the first quarter haha. And we got to rest Kawhi so win-win. Really impressed with Nick Nurse so far. He's been experimenting with different lineups and has Lowry playing at an elite level with both of our bigs. And Siakam is legit blossoming into a special talent. Hopefully our bench gets it together soon (looking at Norm and CJ in particular) so that the starters don't have to keep bailing them out.

We actually owned the 2nd to 4th quarters but that 1st quarter was too much to overcome. It's not really like the Raptors took their foot off the pedal either so really I'm still not going to push the panic button. 10 games in, we're 4-6 and just had our first double-digit loss. What really sucks is playing (and losing to) a few teams that we'll eventually battle for playoff seeding. San Antonio twice, Portland twice, Minnesota. That's half our schedule so far, and we'll be done with San Antonio in another month. Of course those suspensions didn't help, either.

Nick Nurse has really revamped the Raptors for the better it's baffling what took them so long to make the coaching switch. Even Lowry is living up to his contract I've been critical of for so long, though I still think they could've signed him for less.

Now imagine being a Raptors fan and not wanting to trade Poeltl and dump a massive salary or fire the previous head coach, who was it again? Don't even remember his name.

Yeah Lakers have had knee of the tougher schedules this far and were handicapped by the Ingram/rondo suspensions. This team still has a lot of work to do, especially on defense (heh so does most of the league for that matter), but it's way too early to panic. Fuck Woj for slanting that report about Magic and Walton. Lakers should win seven of the next ten games. Also Lebron has been coasting through the first third of the season for years now so I'm not worried about his motor either.

Tyson Chandler should be able to give us a bit of a boost. Our rebounding rates have been terrible, even McGee probably because he's been contesting shots and has therefore been unable to recover in time for boards. As long as he can still rebound and throw down alley-oops, Chandler should help.

Also, I don't know how Washington isn't shaking anything up at the moment. Those guys don't even look like they want to play with each other.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Now that we're a month into the season, I've written an article with my five biggest surprises from the 18-19 season so far.

https://www.sidelinespice.com/singl...BA-review-5-of-this-seasons-biggest-surprises.

Agree or disagree, I'd love to start some discussion on what's been a wacky start to the NBA season.

Also, I think I've only plugged it in the football thread so far, but if you like what you read and wanna see more basketball articles that myself and my team put up through the year, give my page https://www.facebook.com/SidelineSpice/ a like :heart:.

Boston is a bit of a small surprise to me. I knew they would have an adjustment period bring back two stars (yes, I consider Gordon Hayward one, albeit barely) while the two young guys who took them to the ECF last year had to take a back seat. It's a huge adjustment to make, and I may have overestimated Brad Stevens's ability to put it all together. Jaylen Brown has just been flat out bad in a few games.

Josh Hart has been great and needs minutes. I thought we should try starting Lonzo/Hart/Ingram/James/McGee but then we played relatively well vs the Kings so who knows. Lance and McGee have been great additions so far. Wonder what's going on with Beasley, who was gonna get some minutes here and there. Also, Tyson Chandler has been so useful on both ends of the floor. All those (illegal) screens, defensive presence where he'll get the benefit of the whistle at times for his reputation, tapping out rebounds etc. LeGM doing his thing calling in a favor from James Jones in the Suns FO.

It took Ujiri forever to realize he had to move on from Casey and that other guy, but the patience (or stubbornnes I guess) paid off.

Jimmy Butler has finally been traded. People kept telling me they wouldn't get a better offer than Richardson, the corpse of Dion Waiters, and a protected first, so I'm happy. Also kudos to Thibs for sending him back to the East.

The Melo curse is real af.

Boston tbh i expected this to happen. Offense for them the past few years feels horribly underachieved (always ranked average to bottom half), and after their success last year, guys can't just go back to being role players. Kyrie still is Kyrie and Tatum is doing his best Kobe impression.

A logjam of scorers shooting too many midrange.

Aw fuck LeVert just Went down with a nasty injury. Looks like he got rolled on by Okogie and snapped his tib/fib sideways. Super shitty seeing a guy who his worked his ass off and was just breaking out get injured. Hope he makes full recovery

KAT with a statement game (though with 10 turnovers) after Butler got traded. Wiggins still certified trash.

Anthony Davis finally wins a game over the Raptors, but more importantly, my boy Randle got to start.

I've honestly been impressed with the Queens Kings. Vivek took a lot of heat over the years but Vlade seems to have figured something out. It's always a good day when the Spurs lose.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really missing Steph right now, we look a bit patchy without him. Cook needed to be more aggressive, only taking 7 shots. KD fouling out was bs on that last call.

Saw on Twitter that in the games where Paul George (Team USA 2014 Showcase), Gordon Hayward (2017 Celtics vs Cavaliers), and now Caris LeVert (2018 Minnesota vs Brooklyn) all had their leg injuries, Derrick Rose was present.

EDIT: Wow, the Warriors are suspending Dray for his spat with Durant.

Last edited:
Apparently Draymond repeatedly called KD a bitch and dared him to leave in free agency.
Draymond Green said:
We don’t need you. We won without you. Leave.
Can't believe one play in an early regular season game would lead to all this lmao.

Blazers are frauds anyway. West is truly wild right now: 1st seed has 6 losses, 7th seed has 7 losses, 12th team has 9 losses. Meanwhile, Jazz are tied with the Wolves for 14th place lmao.

The West is crazy. I can legitimately see every team except the Suns and Kings making the playoffs. Who do you think makes it in the end?

Meanwhile the East has four true contenders to make it to the finals (five if you want to include Indiana). The Eastern Conference semifinals are going to be insane.

You think the Wolves can make it..? Andrew Wiggins remains to be certified trash. It's tough to say tbh but I don't think the Clippers and Grizzlies are for real. I'm surprised Gallinari is still healthy tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)