2019-20 Football/Soccer Thread

I think moving to Liverpool is gonna be hard for anyone that isn't an established world class player. They have to fit into a system that's been established for a few years now and fight for places with people that have been playing in it for a while. I think Minamino is an above average player, as shown by his performances at his previous club, but I don't think he's anything special yet. He has pace and the technique and I think he can fit well into this Liverpool team, but he does need some time to adjust. He's only been in England since January; he needs time to adjust to the team and his new lifestyle.

Frustratingly, Japan doesn't seem to have a diverse group of players, with their only good ones being attacking midfielders (excluding the few exceptions like Nagatomo and Okazaki). This means some of the good ones will get left out of the national team. I don't think Minamino nor Kubo will, though. Both have insane clout due to the teams they are affiliated with.
Minamino has had less than 500 minutes at Liverpool. Shows some flashes here and there but so far he's just an inferior Firmino. It's still too early to call him a flop though.
Wish Liverpool would loan him out for playing time, stashing young players like this isn't really going to help his development at all.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
leeds up, seem like a fun team to root for, bielsa kicks ass, nice to have a likeable Villain. been watching some hls from their early 2000s cl run and its got me in the mood.

wonder if ATM is a good bet for the cl now... got p fortunate to beat liverpool but now theyre kinda in a nice spot. RBL isnt suited to break down banks so id favor them there, maybe they have to hope that sweet boys atalanta do the business against PSG because a neymar / mbappe axis could beat the block. would be quite pleased with a atalanta atleti semi though, two likable teams for cert, no way of really complaining there...

on the other side perhaps Real madrid are sneakily more likely to progress than the scoreline suggests. liberated from the expectation of the ball they might be on to attack through city's soft belly... a game where a simpleton like me would consider gareth bale. but probably not. pep will play the pivot and try to win with defensive possession, and it will likely work. bayern will kill off chelsea and move with real prejudice through barcelona... theyll meet the winner of the city rma tie there, juve are shit. that's a tough game to predict, blue bloods both, bayern maybe better but i wouldnt count out either possible opp.

Arsenal's performance in the FA cup today, combined with their performance against Liverpool on Wednesday really just shows how little fundamentals of football really matter in the EPL. In both of their victories, Arsenal had sub 35% possession of the ball. Despite the popular belief that Liverpool and Manchester City are class clubs, I don't believe they'll be able to live up to the skill of Real Madrid, Juventus, and the like in the future.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i have spent the past two days celebrating in my city off my nut, can't stress enough how great the atmosphere has been. football truly does bring people together in a way that only we football fans understand. yeah it is just a game, but if you know football you will know what this means to the people of my city. i'm not one of these leeds fans who are saying we are back "where we belong", you can only be in the premier league on footballing merit and not the size of your fanbase, but fuck me is it good to be back and we deserve it based on our football in the past two seasons. i fucking love marcelo bielsa.

i was 9 when we got relegated, i have spent most of my life watch leeds united be dogshit. the club going bust, relegation to league 1, selling our own ground, losing to non-league clubs in the cup, nutcases like cellino running my club, battling for 15th in the championship. all in the past now. yeah we might go straight back down and we certainly need to strengthen our squad, but it feels good to get our chance again.

pupbert

Banned deucer.
ConGratulationsto Leeds United !

But will They be able to Repeat This Success????
That remains to me determined. . .. . . . . . . .. . .

Leicester's turn of form has been ridiculous and they gifted goals again.
Anyway, gg in Fantasy League. Finished third but 43 points behind No. 1 Rowan.

leeds up, seem like a fun team to root for, bielsa kicks ass, nice to have a likeable Villain. been watching some hls from their early 2000s cl run and its got me in the mood.

wonder if ATM is a good bet for the cl now... got p fortunate to beat liverpool but now theyre kinda in a nice spot. RBL isnt suited to break down banks so id favor them there, maybe they have to hope that sweet boys atalanta do the business against PSG because a neymar / mbappe axis could beat the block. would be quite pleased with a atalanta atleti semi though, two likable teams for cert, no way of really complaining there... omegle

on the other side perhaps Real madrid are sneakily more likely to progress than the scoreline suggests. liberated from the expectation of the ball they might be on to attack through city's soft belly... a game where a simpleton like me would consider gareth bale. but probably not. pep will play the pivot and try to win with defensive possession, and it will likely work. bayern will kill off chelsea and move with real prejudice through barcelona... theyll meet the winner of the city rma tie there, juve are shit. that's a tough game to predict, blue bloods both, bayern maybe better but i wouldnt count out either possible opp.
Arsenal had sub-35 per cent possession of the ball in each of their victories. Given the common perception that Liverpool and Manchester City are elite teams, I don't think they will measure up to Real Madrid 's skills;

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to my UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE unbiased predictions! I’ll predict all the way to the finals, so let me get started!

PSG (2) vs Atalanta (1)

PSG are the clear favorites here. However, I’m not sure with this result and how well PSG would do without Mbappe.

RB Leipzig (1) vs Atlético Madrid (3)

I am not sure how well Leipzig will do, especially that they are against a tough opponent: Atlético Madrid. I think Atlético Madrid would emerge victorious.

Barcelona (2) vs Bayern Munich (3)

Barcelona have recently been in poor shape even before they beat Napoli, while Bayern has been doing so good lately.

Manchester City (2) vs Lyon (0)

Easy win for Manchester City. They have good offenses that could prove too much for Lyon.

Semis:

PSG (5) vs Bayern Munich (4)

I’m not sure how this match will go through, since both teams are equally matched. It would probably result in a 1-1, then proceed to pens, which could result in a PSG win.

Manchester City (3) vs Atlético Madrid (1)

Manchester City just outclasses Atlético Madrid. This going to probably be an easier Madrid to fight over Real Madrid, and this would result with Manchester City going to the Finals for the first time.

FINALS:

PSG (4) vs Manchester City (3)

PSG is obviously going to win this. Mbappé coming back to play in the Champions League with PSG is going to spell defeat for Manchester City, and PSG will win their first Champions League title!

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
bayern adapted frighteningly fast... lyon had nonzero joy trying to come out with the ball in a scrum and then have their snipers fire forward at a sort of three man weave attack, so bayern got one maybe against the run of it through individual skill and then adapted to using the technical qualities of their centerbacks to almost hit wide receivers breaking the back line. Nullified the attack, sucked them forward, banged in another, this a wrap. PSG going to be smacked by these dudes on Sunday I do believe

This Bayern team is similar to Germany in 2014 where pacy attackers give them trouble. Lyon didn't manage to convert in the first 20 minutes and Bayern scored to end the game. They will have to adjust for PSG to account for the Neymar and Mbappe threat.

This Bayern team is similar to Germany in 2014 where pacy attackers give them trouble. Lyon didn't manage to convert in the first 20 minutes and Bayern scored to end the game. They will have to adjust for PSG to account for the Neymar and Mbappe threat.
Goal+Over2,5 is the bet for this final. But I think Bayern can win this cup.

Hello and welcome to my UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE unbiased predictions! I’ll predict all the way to the finals, so let me get started!

PSG (2) vs Atalanta (1)

PSG are the clear favorites here. However, I’m not sure with this result and how well PSG would do without Mbappe.

RB Leipzig (1) vs Atlético Madrid (3)

I am not sure how well Leipzig will do, especially that they are against a tough opponent: Atlético Madrid. I think Atlético Madrid would emerge victorious.

Barcelona (2) vs Bayern Munich (3)

Barcelona have recently been in poor shape even before they beat Napoli, while Bayern has been doing so good lately.

Manchester City (2) vs Lyon (0)

Easy win for Manchester City. They have good offenses that could prove too much for Lyon.

Semis:

PSG (5) vs Bayern Munich (4)

I’m not sure how this match will go through, since both teams are equally matched. It would probably result in a 1-1, then proceed to pens, which could result in a PSG win.

Manchester City (3) vs Atlético Madrid (1)

Manchester City just outclasses Atlético Madrid. This going to probably be an easier Madrid to fight over Real Madrid, and this would result with Manchester City going to the Finals for the first time.

FINALS:

PSG (4) vs Manchester City (3)

PSG is obviously going to win this. Mbappé coming back to play in the Champions League with PSG is going to spell defeat for Manchester City, and PSG will win their first Champions League title!
That was impossible regardless. Champions bracket did not allow this pairings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)