Announcement 2021 ZU Circuit Format Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
The purpose of this thread is to finalize the 2021 ZU circuit. Since ZU has never had a proper circuit, I looked into certain tiers and metagames structure their circuits to help develop the structure for ZU's upcoming tournament circuit.

Personally speaking, I believe we should have five current gen (SS ZU) tournaments. Circuit playoffs will be current generation, so I do not see a point in ZU Classic giving circuit points. In my opinion the five tours should be:
  • Type A: Winter Open (single elimination), Spring Seasonal, Fall Seasonal
  • Type B: ZU Ladder Tournament
  • Type C: ZU Majors
As for point systems, I believe Doubles OU's point system and OU's point system to be the most ideal for us. I find DOU's system to be the most simple because circuit points for each tournament type are based on size. For example, type A tours are the largest and reward the most circuit points (seasonals and opens), type B less so, and type C less than that. I also think that the Best Finish Limit (BFL) suits ZU because it will reward high placements and our smaller community size lends itself to this system (as explained here).

OU's circuit points system is another option we can do. OU uses the scoring system we have used for our seasonals and also uses equivalent points. We would use this for single elimination tournaments and this for double elimination tournaments. From what I understand, equivalent points allow for type A, type B, and type C tours to have different values based on ratios rather than assigning different points systems for each tournament category (i.e seasonals, opens, cups, etc). They would also reward consistently high performances since the points from the top performers across type A, B, and C tours are used to calculate equivalent points. This points system is heavily proven and is also relatively simple to understand, so I think it is also suitable for ZU.

Side notes: ZU Classic, ZUPL, and other tours will still take place but will not contribute to circuit playoffs. Once we sort out which system we want to use, Ho3n and I will work on making a circuit schedule (imo winter open should be first, soon approaching).

Community feedback is really helpful and we want to see what you guys think. This will be ZU's first proper circuit and we want ZU to establish a viable system for years to come.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask in the thread. Hopefully within a week we'll have everything planned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)