270toWin

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=499d

better tool for making a map imo

Edit: Also, here is my map
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 6.42.16 PM.png

Tilt blue texas may be a bit of a "lolwut" but hear me out: Texas currently has above 108% the votes they had in 2016, mostly coming from in person early voting, with 1/10th being from mail ins. These voting methods traditionally benefit Democrats. Texas' highest turnout rate, when looking at percentage of the Voter Age Population, was 44% in 2016, which is bottom 5 in the country, and the highest it ever had was 47%. A massive increase to this, which could be possible if Texas gains millions more on election day, would smash Texas' previous % voting rate, and therefore give Democrats a better shot, as traditionally more turnout is better for Democrats. Texas has more registered Democrats than Republicans, but this is only a recent change, and independents in Texas usually split to Republicans, so the first fact isn't usually relevant. However, in this election, independents polled have been more likely to split to Biden.

The polls only hold a 1% lead for Trump, which already could shift left in the normal Margin of Error, but honestly I don't think the polls have taken into account the unprecedented increase in voter turnout in Texas. Not to mention, Trump led by 12 in Texas in 2016, and only won by 9, which suggests an overestimation of Trump support in Texas.

However, regardless of what may happen, unpredictable shenanigans may throw this into contention, or if those 100k votes from Harris County are thrown out, that could affect things too. Who knows.

edit 2: https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html
also check out this link on data for early votes and mail ins. The good news is that most relevant states already have received a majority of their mail ins.

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bit of a tangent, but I remember someone arguing that when Texas goes blue, Republicans may be more willing to let go of the electoral college, because it no longer benefits them.

Would be interesting. Maybe Democrats will suddenly be like 'Wait no the electoral college is good uwu' if they're going to win it every time

Bit of a tangent, but I remember someone arguing that when Texas goes blue, Republicans may be more willing to let go of the electoral college, because it no longer benefits them.

Would be interesting. Maybe Democrats will suddenly be like 'Wait no the electoral college is good uwu' if they're going to win it every time
Texas will likely never become reliably “blue”; at best it would become like Florida, a large and diverse swing state. Obviously that is not good for the Republicans either, but I feel like the potential loss 38+ reliable red Texas electoral votes will eventually be balanced by the gradual erosion of the Democrats’ midwestern blue wall. Once reliably Democratic midwestern states like MN, WI, and MI no longer feel so safe, and traditional midwestern swing states like PA and OH seem to be trending redder than in the past.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The electoral college still fundamentally favors whatever party claims more rural voters, which is the GOP. It is hard to imagine a scenario where a national popular vote is more advantageous to them, since Ds have won nearly all popular votes recently, and frankly Ds could be running up the score even more if people just voted at higher rates in NY and California once they knew their votes actually mattered.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

when will every border state go blue and every other state go red for the prettiest electoral map ever

i like how my map is just myo's but trading arizona and ohio for florida. and not leaving that part of maine grey. and not doing leans.

Last edited:
I think Trump will win 304-234. This election will be very tight no matter how you spin it. No one is going away with a landslide. However, I'd edge Trump ~55-45. Riots in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania (and here especially, Biden's comments on banning fracking) I think will give him the edge to squeak out the wins in those states, especially since there has been a clear distain for law enforcement and, in turn, mass destruction and looting to major cities. With that said though, the states that I feel have the highest likelihood of flipping (based of their statuses in my prediction) are: Nevada, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. All of these will be razor-thin margins. I also think the GOP will narrowly keep the Senate, but I have my doubts that they'll take back the House despite the possibility of making small gains.

(The only thing I would reasonably change on here, I think, is shifting New Mexico from Likely D to Lean D. The Latino vote is what affected a large swab of New Mexico voters last time, and Trump's approval amongst Latinos has shot up. Other than that, maybe shift Kansas to Likely R and North Carolina to Lean R as opposed to safe and tilt respectively).

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.56.58 AM.png

Edit: If there's any states you feel could go a different way, let me know! I'd be happy to give my reasoning on my thought processes for any specific one.

Attachments

Last edited:
As a Pennsylvanian living in a deeply red area, I can assure you that PA will flip blue (discounting the possibility of any extraconstitutional voter suppression bullshit). Joe Biden isn't anywhere near as reviled as Hillary Clinton was, and I have seen more Biden signs in my area than there were Hillary signs four years ago. Also keep in mind that Trump only won the state by a very slim margin, so Biden only needs to turn over a handful of voters to win the state. Also, fracking just isn't really a big issue in most of Pennsylvania.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)