=

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/03/what-is-that-red-equal-sign-on-facebook-all-about/
http://red4equality.tumblr.com/

if you don't have one for your facebook profile pic you are a hateful bigot who supports genocide against gays

Mine:

My buds':

Cookies' was pretty good too.

This one makes me want to punch somebody.

What's the best you've seen? What's the worst you've seen? What's the best you can come up with? How many supreme court votes do you think this campaign will influence?

Nah thanks, I already wiped out bullying by changing my profile picture to a kids cartoon for 30 days, you guys are on your own now.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Facebook activism: 2013's version of armchair lobbying.
hey shut up you it took me a whole like 60 seconds of hard work to craft that in mspaint this could seriously change things

it could seriously happen

Stratos

Banned deucer.
KONY 2012

On the other hand though, the fuck sopa/pipa stuff did amount to something, but the legislature ≠ the supreme court

eh....i think they are intended as more of a show of support than as something that will actually do anything...the act is not necessarily slacktivism if it makes someone feel better. personally, the sentiment of "you guys are ridiculous! i'm keeping this prof pic of me masturbating on top of the himalayas out of principle" to be just as annoying as the onslaught of red equals signs. i don't mind criticizing the practice, but it just seems counter-intuitive to brag about how much you don't care

i also think it's funny that in typical internet fashion this entire spectacle turned into a contest to see whose was more funny/creative/pop-culture related. i think it's a nice concept that someone struggling in the civil rights debate would see such a prof and think someone was on their side. i don't know how they might feel if they saw two waggling dicks across a red background. but, maybe people don't care and the gripe about our commentator culture is meaningless against a backdrop of people falling in line with a good cause...even it is a bit too internet-y a trend for my pure appreciation

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Of course this entire thing is pretty stupid. Anybody on my FB already knows exactly what I support and why.

I view this as an invitation for somebody to debate with me, but of course that's impossible with any of the friends I have.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
In all seriousness, could you elaborate on that? I literally know nothing about them. When I saw HRC the first thing that sprung to mind was the FRC (Family Research Counsel).

[edit]

Oh yeah, and this one's going to sway SCOTUS:

and another one that makes me want to punch someone:

The phrase "FB icon activism" sounds pretty funny, but more generally speaking, if people can't share themselves over the internet in ways you think are insignificant, how motivated could they ever be to speak on larger platforms? That being said I don't know much about this movement, other than as a vague advocacy for equality.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

clearly you guys aren't doing your part -- this girl was in front of the supreme court with this sign. klainer 12s changing the world.

but anyway i don't see the PROBLEM with the equals sign thing...if it makes people feel like they're doing something then why not? not everyone is going to be able to be in the front lines but it's nice to see that people care. i'd rather have everyone with stupid profile pictures than no one caring about whether everyone should be granted their equal rights.

but anyway i don't see the PROBLEM with the equals sign thing...if it makes people feel like they're doing something then why not? not everyone is going to be able to be in the front lines but it's nice to see that people care. i'd rather have everyone with stupid profile pictures than no one caring about whether everyone should be granted their equal rights.
That's just it, there is no definite problem with it. The issue really is that it's more of a silent protest compared to a full out riot that it should be.

It shouldn't be "hey let's finally try to pass gay marriage, but be weary of the arguments against it."

It should be something on the scale of "Why the fuck haven't we done anything about this until now?"

Icepick and Jumpluff should get cookies for theirs, those are brilliant xD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)