5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have a technical question about the RNG's inner working which might have some relevance for gen6 move legality. I'm not sure this is the right thread to ask, however I couldn't find any more suitable place.
Some old Pokémon (Kecleon, Plusle, Minun, Ferrothorn, maybe others) gained a hidden ability in XY. At the very east Kecleon, Plusle and Minun were available from the Dream World and catchable in the Entree Forest.
Is the "has hidden ability" value (or whatever the HA marker in the actual data structure is) set to true (or 1 or whatever) for those Pokémon when caught this way, even if they don't actually have a HA?
If yes, can this value be inherited?
This might or might not be useful depending on how Pokébank will work (if it works like Pal Park all of this is completely meaningless), but I think it's still interesting to note.
As far as I'm aware, Minun, Plusle, and Kecleon don't come with a HA flag (same with stuff like Gastly and Koffing).

I can't find an RNG Reporter guide to Entralink and Dream Radar in Black 2 and White 2, even here on smogon I only found the PPRNG one, and since I have a pc that's useless. Can somebody help me finding that?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I can't find an RNG Reporter guide to Entralink and Dream Radar in Black 2 and White 2, even here on smogon I only found the PPRNG one, and since I have a pc that's useless. Can somebody help me finding that?
Here's the guide written by RNGer Aaron for the Radar:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103548132/RNG/Dream Radar RNG Abuse Guide.pdf

Don't have experience with the entralink but here's a few details anyway. AFAIK there still isn't a guide, but there's a lot of details for B/W on the first page.
There isn't a guide specifically for BW2 but it's very similar to BW1. Basically search for a frame that's above 25, hit the seed, transport to the entralink and encounter the pokemon. There's no delays which makes things much easier.
Standard seeds start on IV frame 25, PIDRNG advances 1 frame every 1.7 seconds (or something like that). Anyway, unless it has been fixed, PID frames won't match in Reporter due to a bug.
Edit: The discussions those posts for entralink are from run on pages 800-801 in this thread if you need more info.

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I've decided to try my luck at RNG on Black 2, but I have problems to calibrate it on my DSi.

As a bit of background, I never used precise delay RNGing to get the perfect pokemon before, but I'm used to RNG eggs on Platinum just for Shinies. Basically I don't even change the clock, just note the time when I enter the game, then fish a magikarp 50+ and if there's a shiny egg not too far I fiddle with the pokegear and go to the daycare. It's easy and I'm successful with it.

Now about Black 2 : I tried to calibrate it but RNG Reporter (9.96.5 BETA) doesn't find any possible seed for the pokemon I catch for the time I set.
The DS Parameter Finder seemed clear enough to me, but I double and triple checked what to do in multiple guides, written or in videos. But they all say the same and all the demonstrations seem to be exactly what I do.
I'd like to check with you to see if I missed something or if you have advises.

1. I entered the version : Black 2.
  2. I entered the language : French.
  3. I entered the DS type : DSi\DSi XL (it's a DSi).
  4. I entered the MAC address and double-checked it.
  5. I let no held button, don't touch the variables that the DS Parameter Finder gave me (VCount A0 to C0, Timer0 1600 to 1790, GxStat 6, VFrame 0 to 10), no soft reset and I let "only seach min&max GXStat" checked.
  6. I entered the date and the targeted time.
  7. I tried to synchronize the best as I can my DSi clock to my PC clock, though I noted that the DSi clock doesn't start right when clicking Ok.
  8. I started the game at the targeted time. As I use 00 second, I sometimes started it just before seeing the DSi clock minutes change, sometimes while it's changing and other time half a second after.
  9. I didn't touch the buttons until the cinematic with the shooting star plays. Then I entered the game without C-Gear activated.
  10. As soon as I could I entered the menu and use Sweet Scent. I tried in a cave, in the grass and even I tried fishing too but I abandoned that idea because I'm not sure if it counts a frame or not. I don't have a Synchronize pokemon as a lead.
  11. I captured the pokemon and checked its IV with the "Calculate IVs from Stats" tool mostly but I tried Pokécheck too.
  12. With the IVs set I press "Search" button but "Found" stays desperately at 0. I get no result.
From the guides I read, I was expecting to have a lot of attempts to do to narrow down the most correct Timer0, but 0 result is quite embarrassing.

I have EonTimer 1.6, but I must say I'm not sure how to use it. I guess I need to use 5th generation standard mode, but what exactly do I have to enter in "Calibration" "Target Second" and "Second Hit"? If that can help me to calibrate, I'm really interested in using it.

Do you have any idea where's my mistake or what else I should try?

As far as I'm aware, Minun, Plusle, and Kecleon don't come with a HA flag (same with stuff like Gastly and Koffing).
So I guess stuff like Drain/elemental Punch Protean Kecleon won't be possible even after Pokébank (don't bother to answer, I know it won't be). Thanks for the answer.

Here's the guide written by RNGer Aaron for the Radar:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103548132/RNG/Dream Radar RNG Abuse Guide.pdf

Don't have experience with the entralink but here's a few details anyway. AFAIK there still isn't a guide, but there's a lot of details for B/W on the first page.

Edit: The discussions those posts for entralink are from run on pages 800-801 in this thread if you need more info.
Oh, thanks for the DR guide. As for BW2 entralink, I read like everywhere it was a lot easier than BW since they totally removed the whole c-gear seeds thing. But there's only the PPRNG guide. There must be a RNG Reporter guide somewhere.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Oh, thanks for the DR guide. As for BW2 entralink, I read like everywhere it was a lot easier than BW since they totally removed the whole c-gear seeds thing. But there's only the PPRNG guide. There must be a RNG Reporter guide somewhere.
You're welcome! :)

Post #2 of this thread covers entralink abuse with the RNG Reporter. I guess that would be a good place to start. The basics from the PPRNG guide would still apply though (i.e. what you do in the game) so you could still use that as a reference.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, ended up having another problem. I'm now trying to catch a flawless Ditto in Giant Chasm (slots 3 and 6), with the seed E544BB729CAFF257. I'm failing all the time because my timer0 suddenly decided it would change from C7A to C7B, but the weird part is that I'm getting both lv52 Clefairy (slot 0) and lv55 Lunatone (slot 4). What does determine the encounter slot? Is it the PIDRNG? It can't be the IVRNG because I'm always getting the same IV frame (26, 4/11/12/2/2/1). How can I control it?

Last edited:

Agonist

Okay, ended up having another problem. I'm now trying to catch a flawless Ditto in Giant Chasm (slots 3 and 6), with the seed . I'm failing all the time because my timer0 suddenly decided it would change from C7A to C7B, but the weird part is that I'm getting both lv52 Clefairy (slot 0) and lv55 Lunatone (slot 4). What does determine the encounter slot? Is it the PIDRNG? It can't be the IVRNG because I'm always getting the same IV frame (26, 4/11/12/2/2/1). How can I control it?
Yeah, the PIDRNG is what controls the encounter slot. The easiest way to control it is by using Chatot with a custom chatter recorded; view the summary of such a Chatot will advance the PIDRNG by 1 frame each time you view it.

Hi I'm trying to RNG a Shiny Braviary on White 2 but I can't seem to find my starting frame and how many advances i need to make. I was just wondering if anyone who has managed to RNG a Shiny Braviary if they could tell me the best way :/ many thanks :)

Mario With Lasers

Yeah, the PIDRNG is what controls the encounter slot. The easiest way to control it is by using Chatot with a custom chatter recorded; view the summary of such a Chatot will advance the PIDRNG by 1 frame each time you view it.
That's what I thought, but now I'm only getting lv52 Piloswines (slot 1) with the right frame/seed, and advancing with Chatot doesn't change it.

EDIT-- Now I didn't use Chatot and got a flawless lv53 Metang (slot 7). What the hell. Seems Piloswine's at PIDRNG frame 83/93 and Metang's at 92.

EDIT2-- Got it. Apparently, the starting frame's 92. I don't know how I was repeatedly getting 93 before the Metang, though...

Last edited:

Agonist

Hi I'm trying to RNG a Shiny Braviary on White 2 but I can't seem to find my starting frame and how many advances i need to make. I was just wondering if anyone who has managed to RNG a Shiny Braviary if they could tell me the best way :/ many thanks :)
Sandstorm advances the PIDRNG by ~60 fps, so it will be at least several hundred frames in.

That's what I thought, but now I'm only getting lv52 Piloswines (slot 1) with the right frame/seed, and advancing with Chatot doesn't change it.

EDIT-- Now I didn't use Chatot and got a flawless lv53 Metang (slot 7). What the hell. Seems Piloswine's at PIDRNG frame 83/93 and Metang's at 92.

EDIT2-- Got it. Apparently, the starting frame's 92. I don't know how I was repeatedly getting 93 before the Metang, though...
That... doesn't seem right, especially for BW1. Starting frame should be between 40-60, not 92. You're not walking around for an encounter, are you?

Mario With Lasers

Sandstorm advances the PIDRNG by ~60 fps, so it will be at least several hundred frames in.

That... doesn't seem right, especially for BW1. Starting frame should be between 40-60, not 92. You're not walking around for an encounter, are you?
Nope. 640 steps outside of grass, walk inside it, Sweet Scent. I'm dealing with this again: the starting frame changed to 93-94 (I can never get the bugger right).

For what it's worth, there's a shaking bush every time I SR. It always appears at the same spot and after the same amount of steps, so I don't think it's responsible for the variable frame. It probably explains the high starting frame... I guess.

Last edited:

Agonist

Nope. 640 steps outside of grass, walk inside it, Sweet Scent. I'm dealing with this again: the starting frame changed to 93-94 (I can never get the bugger right).

For what it's worth, there's a shaking bush every time I SR. It always appears at the same spot and after the same amount of steps, so I don't think it's responsible for the variable frame. It probably explains the high starting frame... I guess.
It will still advance if you're walking near grass, just not as fast. If you're using RNGR Reporter, copy your seed to the main window, and click the find initial starting frame button (it should calculate it being between 35-60), and if you're using PPRNG, it will display it automatically. Also, out of curiosity, why aren't you using Sweet Scent?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh, I didn't know about that. And sure, if I SR and go straight to the patch of grass, the first pokémon I find is a Solrock, at PID frame 51.

No, I am using Sweet Scent, but only after walking the 640 steps to get to frame 26.
Generally, its easier to just keep searching for a seed that gives you an IV frame of 1 to avoid all of this nonsense.

Hey guys. I have a wondercard I haven't used in-game for a Pokémon with a hidden ability. I'm using PPRNG to find Wondercard seeds, but nothing shows up when I indicate that the wondercard is locked into the HA, and I've never seen a hidden ability in the ability (0,1, or hidden) column now that I think about it.

Hi, I am planning to RNG a shiny hidden power fire 70 (31/30/31/30/31/30) Latios (Dreamyard) in Black-2. (I am only on the 2nd gym right now)
This is my first time, so please tell me if my methods are wrong. (I have read the guide on BW RNGing but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong so as not to waste valuable time)

Once I reach the end of victory road (last cave w/ no NPCs), I will calibrate by finding my DS parameters (timer0, etc)
Use pokecheck to get the sweet scent captured pokemon's IVs (and my Trainer and Secret IDs too).
BTW, can I just get my parameters as soon as get a sweet scenter? I may have to RNG for a specific TID/SID; going all the way to victory road just to restart the game would be a waste of time.

Using a made up profile (TID, SID, timer0), I did a test run on RNG Reporter 9.96.5
Under 5th Gen Time Finder; IVs (standard seed); stationary; min/max frame 1/200; max shiny advance 300; IVs set to get hidden power fire 70; sync-able frame
I found a seed on frame 152 with shiny frame 244 (search nearby shiny frames box checked)
Now, back to the main RNG Reporter window; Gen 5 PIDRNG; stationary; BW2 box checked; calculate initial PIDRNG frame - starting frame = 53

So if my target IV frame is 152, where is my target PIDRNG frame? Is it the 244?
If 244 is indeed the PIDRNG frame that makes IV frame 152 shiny, I subtract 53 (the starting PIDRNG frame), so I should advance it by 191 frames.
(These frame numbers are just examples)
Sometimes, for other IVs, I get an IV frame that is more than the shiny frame, leading me to think that the shiny frame is indeed the PIDRING frame. However, both are just labeled "frames" regardless of whether I am using IV (standard seeds) or Gen 5 PIDRING anyways, which makes the term confusing.

Once I calibrate and get an actual profile, I'll just hope to get some manageable seeds.

On the other hand, I also read about RNGing my TID and SID in advance to make a certain seed with certain IVs shiny

Say, on the Time Finder I got a seed with HP fire 70 IVs on frame 5 (4 advances = 128 steps 4x, 4 pokemon in party)
But NOT shiny...
So, I copy the seed to Gen V "Pandora's Box" TID/SID Manipulation Tool; frame 5; find ID seeds to get new TID/SID
Back to the main RNG Reporter window; plug my new TID/SID; Gen 5 PIDRING; stationary; BW2 box checked
Frame 4 turned out to be shiny (off by -1 frame), so I just have to adjust the pandora's box frame to 6; get yet a new TID/SID to use, to make frame 5 shiny
But, when I used calculate initial PIDRNG frame, the starting frame is 49...The next shiny frame is 9746
So, I have to get an IV frame larger that 49 then? Do the TID/SID RNG process again and finally get my shiny HP fire 70 frame?

BTW, dreamyard doesn't have NPCs on the ground level; but do the NPCs on the basement level affect the PIDRNG frames?

- a newbie to RNGing
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Agonist

Hey guys. I have a wondercard I haven't used in-game for a Pokémon with a hidden ability. I'm using PPRNG to find Wondercard seeds, but nothing shows up when I indicate that the wondercard is locked into the HA, and I've never seen a hidden ability in the ability (0,1, or hidden) column now that I think about it.
It doesn't matter, since it has its Hidden Ability set. The A0/A1 only matters for wondercards that can have either normal ability; otherwise, you can just use any seed regardless of the ability.

Hi, I am planning to RNG a shiny hidden power fire 70 (31/30/31/30/31/30) Latios (Dreamyard) in Black-2. (I am only on the 2nd gym right now)
This is my first time, so please tell me if my methods are wrong. (I have read the guide on BW RNGing but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong so as not to waste valuable time)
You can find the IV's of the sweet scented pokemon with the IV Calculator on RNG Reporter, for your SID, on the other hand, uploading the pokemon to pokecheck will save you a lot of time. Tecnically you can calibrate as soon you get the C-Gear, is recommended that you caught a high-leveled pokemon to get an accurate info on that pokemon IV's. (is catching 30 pokemons and check it IV's on the spot againts uploading 30 pokemons to pokecheck to get it IV's)

In the guides you read they must have been very clear that in the Time Finder Window the min/max frame must be set to 1 (both) to simplify the RNG process since is kinda difficult to accurately advance the IVRNG. Also the time finder is ONLY to get a seed for a desired IV's spread (in your case a HP Fire spread), for any other info of the pokemon (nature, shininess, gender, ability, etc) you need to input the seed you found onto the RNG main window. I suggest you to re-check the guides you used and post any question on this thread.

About the "nearby shiny frames", i think you don't use it for 5th gen RNG, but don't quote me on this since i'm not sure. I always searched shininess on the main window.

Onto the frames confusion: there are IVRNG frames and PIDRNG frames, both different and both have different ways to be calculated and advanced.

About the ID/SID RNG I suggest you the guide on nuggetbridge http://nuggetbridge.com/breeding/ma...ng-your-id-in-bwwith-tidbits-on-roamer-abuse/ is one of the simplest to follow. Again any question you have you can post here :)

And finally, dreamyard have one WNPC. You can fight him so he stop and you don't have to account for any undesirable advance. But in case you already battled him, the PIDRNG advanced would not be to much (for me he only advanced 3 frames). And no, the underground NPC does not advance your PIDRNG frames.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)