5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

I've just notice when using the 5th gen time finder I get different results when generating seeds for shinnies with my ID and SID compared to without my ID and SID. I probably want to use the seeds generated with my ID and SID, right?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've just notice when using the 5th gen time finder I get different results when generating seeds for shinnies with my ID and SID compared to without my ID and SID. I probably want to use the seeds generated with my ID and SID, right?
Shininess of a Pokémon is determined by the TID/SID of its OT. So this is exactly as expected. You should use those generated with the TID/SID entered.

Hi, I'm trying to configure my DS parameters for white 2 version but seem to get differing results on timer0 and not sure if my Gxstat/Vframe are correct. How much will this affect me if they are not perfect? )TBH these parameters do not make sense to me at all)

Also I know people have said that RNGing ID/SID is not worth it in black/white 2, but I would like to know who have RNGed it and tell me why they choose that ID/SID combination. (For aesthetics or function)

RNGing seems so much harder to understand in these generations compared to DPPT/HGSS.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Hi, I'm trying to configure my DS parameters for white 2 version but seem to get differing results on timer0 and not sure if my Gxstat/Vframe are correct. How much will this affect me if they are not perfect? )TBH these parameters do not make sense to me at all)

Also I know people have said that RNGing ID/SID is not worth it in black/white 2, but I would like to know who have RNGed it and tell me why they choose that ID/SID combination. (For aesthetics or function)

RNGing seems so much harder to understand in these generations compared to DPPT/HGSS.
It's normal for the Timer0 to vary a lot. You're just trying to find your most common one when you calibrate. Why do you think your GxStat and VFrame are wrong? If you don't find your most common Timer0, for example, it will be a huge pain down the road as you won't be able to hit your seed reliably. So, it's important that they are as accurate as possible. They are basically just magic numbers that determine what seed you hit.

Possible reasons for rnging id's include:
1) Aesthetics
2) to know their SID for shinies since Pokecheck is down (you can get around that by importing a pokemon now)
3) to make a good spread shiny (especially for roamers).
4) to get a shiny starter

With the widespread availability of good seeds and the lack of roamers, it's almost unnecessary to do so for BW2. Plus, there are a ton of NPCs so its a huge pain. :)

edit: for me, it was mostly (4) XD

Hi all! I am just getting absolutely wrecked trying to RNG this shiny Cobalion I have mentioned about :(. Today I've followed through my procedure thirteen times to only catch one Cobalion (#5) that matched my seed's spread with the correct nature, but not shiny. That's thirteen times I've had to count 322 frame advancements and struggle to catch this thing, no masterballs. It also sucks for me since the one Cobalion that matches my spread has the synchronized nature which still leaves me in the dark about any frame adjustments I need to incorporate. I took .com's advice about using the Rubik's cube timer to hit the date and time, but I still feel like I'm doing something massively wrong. The only thing consistent about my procedure is that I caught two pairs of identical Cobalions, still of wrong seed though. I know my timer0s include 1675, 167B, 1674, 1673, 1672, 167D, and 167E. What do you guys think?

.com

Grumpy old man
Hi all! I am just getting absolutely wrecked trying to RNG this shiny Cobalion I have mentioned about :(.

Today I've followed through my procedure thirteen times to only catch one Cobalion (#5) that matched my seed's spread with the correct nature, but not shiny. That's thirteen times I've had to count 322 frame advancements and struggle to catch this thing, no masterballs. It also sucks for me since the one Cobalion that matches my spread has the synchronized nature which still leaves me in the dark about any frame adjustments I need to incorporate.

I took .com's advice about using the Rubik's cube timer to hit the date and time, but I still feel like I'm doing something massively wrong. The only thing consistent about my procedure is that I caught two pairs of identical Cobalions, still of wrong seed though.

I know my timer0s include 1675, 167B, 1674, 1673, 1672, 167D, and 167E. What do you guys think?
Spaced out your post for readability. Please hit the [RETURN] key from time to time ;).

1/13 is probably about right for B2W2 abuse on a 3DS for hitting the correct timer0 (especially if you didn't choose the most frequently occurring one during calibration).

You can use the pitch of the Chatot calls to confirm your seed so that you don't need to advance the frames all 322 times every single time. For stationary legendaries—in particular those without wandering NPCs—I usually find that the pitch of <4 Chatot calls is sufficient for me to know if I've hit my seed or not. If yes then do the necessary advances, if not then just reset and try again.

I'm trying a new seed that now is only 17 frame advancements but requires key presses which are A-B-up.

Just to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong, I simultaneously press the A and B with the up d-pad right after I open my White 2 slot on my 3DS and keep them pressed down until the shoot star logo appears right?

I appreciate all the advice so far, thanks!

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
I'm trying a new seed that now is only 17 frame advancements but requires key presses which are A-B-up.

Just to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong, I simultaneously press the A and B with the up d-pad right after I open my White 2 slot on my 3DS and keep them pressed down until the shoot star logo appears right?

I appreciate all the advice so far, thanks!
Or you can hold the buttons till the white screen is gone... works for me that way, instead of waiting for the stars to sparkle ;]

Hi, I'm wondering where I find the encounter slot tables for Gen IV/V? The links in RNG Reporter just go to an ad website...anybody know what happened to them?

Hey there!

I haven't really started to learn RNG, but I was going to once I have the time to! Anyway, I was wondering if RNG was possible on a 2DS? I have Black 2, so I'm sure that timer0 is going to be one heck of a troll but I don't want to waste time for something that doesn't work in the first place. Thanks in advance :)

.com

Grumpy old man
When using the 3DS and not using C-gear do you always want to start the game 7-8 seconds before the target time, or will this vary?
I go with ~7.4 seconds. But yes, this is the time the console takes to boot the game, and the seed will not be set until after that time.

I'm at a bit of a loss at what I need to do.

I found a more manageable Cobalion at a different date, lower frame, and with key presses (A-B-up). Today I categorized twenty-eight Cobalions using the reporters date and ~7 second start-up time correction. I caught seven different sets of Cobalions, though none of them were the generated seed's spread.

Here's my conflict. Do I just catch twenty-eight more Cobalions hoping I have just been unlucky? If I am doing anything wrong then this will just be a waste of time, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried listening to Chatot's pitches to save time, but I'm unable to correlate what the reporters says to what I'm hearing. I feel like I'm getting the key presses wrong because on the 3DS I can't have B and up (d-pad) already pressed down as I open the game because it moves the cursor so I either immediately repress A along while pressing B and up or keep A down while pressing B and up.

And for clarification, the shiny frame is 68 and my calculated initial PIDRNG frame is 51 so ideally I need to advance the frame 17 times, right?

Thanks for all the advice. I seriously feel like cloning this guy and trading it to the people who have helped me, if they're interested.

.com

Grumpy old man
I mentioned this in an earlier post; but you can use the Chatot pitches to identify your seed without having to do all the advancements every time.

If I'm on a route with wandering NPCs I normally look around 10 frames beyond the initial frame for a noticeable pattern; like Low Low Low, or High High Low, etc. I then listen to the chatot calls, and if this doesn't occur pretty quickly I reset.

I believe there are indeed such NPCs on the route with Cobalion in B2W2 and so 17 advancements will most likely land you beyond your desired frame, since the NPCs are also (most likely) advancing the frame before you open your menu, and while you're pressing A on Cobalion.

Repressing A or holding it down doesn't matter, only the buttons which are currently being held while the game seeds itself.

You could try just immediately entering the battle with Cobalion (without opening your menu) and catching it in a Master Ball. Then check it's IVs against those listed in the adjacent tab to ensure that you are hitting one of your calibrated timer0's. If you are not, then it may be worth recalibrating, and using the Cobalion's IVs as your guide.

Edit: Since I didn't explicitly say it:
I would not blindly try 28 more times without confirming that you were hitting one of the neighbouring timer0's.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Hey there!

I haven't really started to learn RNG, but I was going to once I have the time to! Anyway, I was wondering if RNG was possible on a 2DS? I have Black 2, so I'm sure that timer0 is going to be one heck of a troll but I don't want to waste time for something that doesn't work in the first place. Thanks in advance :)
I don't have one so I can't say for sure, but other users have reported being able to find their parameters just assuming it's a 3ds (which it basically is). So I would assume that yes, it's possible.

Have you tried recalibration while using your timer? Maybe you are getting a more common one now that you are using a timer. But yeah, as .com mentioned, the adjacent seed tool would also be helpful because it would allow you to see if you are doing keypresses right, but are just getting trolled

(ninja'd XD)

I believe this is the new link: Encounter Tables

It is a download, so you can't just quickly look up online.

EDIT:
Dammit, forgot to quote initially...
Hopefully you'll read this, ScampMC
Hopefully this isn't considered advertising another site, but I uploaded all of the encounter tables to a Google Site (link in sig) so that now all of them are online (looks pretty bad for several hours worth of work XD). Since it's through Google Sites there aren't any domain costs so hopefully they'll stay there :)

edit: darn it, forgot to set the viewing privileges on some of the pages. They're there anyway XD There we go. All should be visible now.

Last edited:
I've just checked my adjacent Seed tab and I found that I have hit twice a seed listed. The seed I hit is Timer0: 1675, 01/19/11 03:17:07, and frame 3.

The seed I want to hit is Timer0: 1674, 01/19/11 03:17:08, and frame 3. I started the game at the :00sec to get the :07secs so I probably want to start at :01secs to get the :08sec?

What does the frame 3 mean?

Thanks I feel like I've made progress :).

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I've just checked my adjacent Seed tab and I found that I have hit twice a seed listed. The seed I hit is Timer0: 1675, 01/19/11 03:17:07, and frame 3.

The seed I want to hit is Timer0: 1674, 01/19/11 03:17:08, and frame 3. I started the game at the :00sec to get the :07secs so I probably want to start at :01secs to get the :08sec?

What does the frame 3 mean?

Thanks I feel like I've made progress :).
Frame 3 is the IV frame. Are you advancing that at all? A frame of 1 is highly recommended. Assuming you can be consistent, yeah you would want to start 1 second later than you are to hit 8 sec.

haha you're welcome (not trying to take all the credit...I've only posted a few times XD). We're not there yet, but we're getting closer :)

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I know that the shiny frame is 68 and the initial PIDRNG frame is 51, so I need to advance by 17 ideally, and the time finder frame is 1, so what's this frame 3?
Right, 17 is ideal, but as .com pointed out, it would be fewer with NPCs. The time finder frame (1) is the IV frame. The 3 is also an IV frame. The natures/genders/shininess and the IV's are handled by 2 different rng's this gen. If you aren't walking around before encountering cobalion, you will be on frame 1. So that frame 3 seems to be a false positive. There was an issue with the adjacent seed tool in previous versions, but the notes say that it was fixed so I don't think it's an issue in your version (could be wrong)

Are you limiting the results to max/min frame of 1 in the adjacent seed tool? Your method should be IV's standard seed, and the max/min frame as 1. Do you get any matches then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)