8 Simple Rules to Make Everyone's VGC Experience Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
<3 these rules. Thanks for the refresher on what to be ready for.

Few things I thought when reading:
#2...get SOME sleep, don't be so tired that you can't enjoy the day. Sleep a TON before getting to Indy so you're prepared for <5 hour nights!

(I probably shouldn't be talking here, ask Evan, even though it was over fast :l) but in #5 don't be a butthurt 10 months after losing and post a video about it while continuing your grudge. That usually isn't helpful. If you do overreact (it happens :l) man up and apologize to the person, and be sincere. Anyone in masters should accept that apology willingly.

And eat Steak N Shake at least once, and make it a goal to hang out with people at least 3 times a day. Or do what I'm doing and take a picture with everyone you've wanted to meet! (Also fulfills rule 6!)

I was kinda afraid to post this but whatevs, not gonna be a wallflower.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
challenge accepted
I agree :P

but then again I know theres a starbucks near the hilton resort ill have to use since enegry drinks are disgusting. plus I intend to get some sleep so I can get up nice and early, or just stay awake because of the jetlag, well see when it happens :P
2 more ffing months :P

I guess ill have to do my trips on thursday monday and tuesday I suppose :P

Agree with everything in the OP, even though I am guilty of breaking a few rules =p Also, I am disappointed that huy is reinforcing the usage of the term "smogonaut" when "smogonite" is obviously much more correct and also sounds a lot nicer xD

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
oh my god icepick, you're going? i love your art. i will do more than say hi to you, my friend. x_x

1. Did all the time
2. I could barely stay asleep the night before due to brain hype, so I guess I did that.
3. Done, and done.
4. I thought I was... but nope
5. On my 5th and 6th round I felt like table-flipping... but I've learned my lesson, it was mostly my fault anyways I brought underpowered Pokemon
6. I did that, definitely.
7. Did that too
8. Tried not to do that, but sometimes I felt myself feeling that.

I'll definitely take all of these tips into perfect consideration next time, I feel like I need to make VGC '13 better for myself.

Not really a rule, but some helpful advice:

If you're staying in a room with multiple people, bring surge protectors. People have a lot of devices that need to charge overnight; cell phones, laptops, the DS they're going to use in the event, various other game systems, etc. I guarantee you that no matter how many outlets the hotel provides, it won't be enough. In order to avoid that situation, simply make sure someone in your room is bringing one. You only need one or two.

OMG I have to shower before future tournaments?!

All joking aside, if I may add one thing to rule number one, it would be this - if you see someone all alone, it might be nice to talk to them; we are all pokenerds after all, and some, if very few, of us don't have very good social skills (schools are bitches :p).

Slashmolder

'Ello Governor
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Sleeping is for the weak.

But yeah when I went to regionals and worlds 2011 I hardly talked to/saw anyone and it wasn't as fun as this year. Much more fun to meet people.

I totally agree with this thread. I remember having the greatest time hanging out with everybody last year at Nats and Worlds. It's all about having fun and spending the greatest weekend ever with your fellow pokebros...OH, and Steak & Shake. :3

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In terms of some of the stuff in my rush I neglected my video camera but still took a few pictures.

Some other thing: double check those group photos, there can never be enough group photos and at Toronto regionals an incident happened where a huge idiot who took two years of photography classes took three blurry group photos.

Try to bring something memorable or cool, I brought the smoganada logo for one. The shy part is absolutely frustrating because I street passed with a certain smogon member at the event but they never said hi to our group. A pack of cards or something non-pokemon while waiting tends to also be good while registration waiting.

Also at the event if you can: reserve sofa's/chairs/power outlets for your smogon group if you finish a match early or are not playing. Most important!

I was wondering, since I will be there with my mom, how would I go about convincing her to allow me to participate in late night wanderings and pokemon stadium games?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was wondering, since I will be there with my mom, how would I go about convincing her to allow me to participate in late night wanderings and pokemon stadium games?
throw a temper tantrum, i hear that works well.

Maybe have her meet some of the more responsible people in the group you'll be with if she won't let you go to start with.

Convince her they're nice people, or something along those lines but a bit deeper

Plan Y
Throw a Temper Tantrum.

Plan Z
Sneak Out.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Really now guys, really?

Solace's typical 16 year old teenage girl advice and Brandon's huggies commercial advice aside, all it takes is you planning ahead and being 1 step ahead of your situation.

Take the time to introduce your mother to some of us maybe? That way when the time comes, she will know (or at least have an idea) the people she is allowing you to go hang out with at night

Edit: damn, ninja'd............

throw a temper tantrum, i hear that works well.
Tell her you're a big boy now, and you gotta do big boy things. jk
Maybe have her meet some of the more responsible people in the group you'll be with if she won't let you go to start with.

Convince her they're nice people, or something along those lines but a bit deeper

Plan Y
Throw a Temper Tantrum.

Plan Z
Sneak Out.
Really now guys, really?

Solace's typical 16 year old teenage girl advice and Brandon's huggies commercial advice aside, all it takes is you planning ahead and being 1 step ahead of your situation.

Take the time to introduce your mother to some of us maybe? That way when the time comes, she will know (or at least have an idea) the people she is allowing you to go hang out with at night

Edit: damn, ninja'd............
Well thanks for the advice, I guess I'll make my best attempt at introducing her to you guys. (:

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I am also the appointed Responsible Chaperone. If I like you enough, I will volunteer to take you under my wing for free.

I am also the appointed Responsible Chaperone. If I like you enough, I will volunteer to take you under my wing for free.
There should be 3 responsible people (minimum) in each group, lol.

But there are quite a few responsible members around. (I'd like to be considered one).

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Evidence from last year indicates that Ninahaza may not be responsible. I will look into interviewing people and making a responsible user list in the near future.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I guess I could be counted as responsible. Parents love me because I'm foreign, and therefore clearly trustworthy. My accent is just so reputable.

But seriously, I don't mind if you want me to talk to your parents if you want to chill without them for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)