SM PU A Balanced PU Team

So; I've been sort of in-and-out of Gen 7 competitive play. I've had some trouble actually finding a tier I like playing in this generation. I historically enjoyed playing in lower tiers; but those were very unstable for quite a long time; between the sheer amount of time it took for them to be established, and then USUM coming out and shaking things up again.

So; I started with building the team in possibly the simplest manner possible. Looking at the PU Viability rankings to get some pokemon that performed well in PU and then build a team based around them. As a result; this RMT will be specifically ordered in what I consider importance to the team. The pokemon towards the end are the pokemon I am less sure about. In particular; my final slot has changed multiple times and I'm still unsure if I have the right pokemon there.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

The first pokemon I added to the team is Mespirit. Honestly; I'm a little surprised this thing is still allowed in the tier with it's massive variability in moveset; but I guess it's one of 2 S-Rank pokemon for a reason.

I have personally gone for a more offensive Mespirit. Rocks are on it because Mespirit dosen't find trouble to set them up; but from there I decided on coverage. A surprising amount of people seem to expect defensive or full support Mespirit; and that it's just a free switch-in. And then their switch-in gets hammered by a fairly powerful Psyshock or coverage move. I'm not quite sure of I have the right coverage moves however. Fairy coverage is always solid; as is Ghost, but perhaps I could tailor the coverage moves to work better as a lure or to get through a specific pokemon. HP Ground; for example, could blast an Aggron or Skuntank. Also; all of Mespirit's weaknesses are resisted by Skuntank.

Skuntank @ Black Glasses
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Play Rough
- Poison Jab

I found Leftovers Skuntank to lack a bit of power on it's core moves; while Life Orb wasn't as durable as I liked. So, I settled on Blackglasses. Perhaps I could try a Z-Crystal instead. Regardless; Skuntank was a dominant force in X/Y NU; and is one of the other kings of USUM PU. Sucker Punch+Pursuit allows it to trap Psychics and Ghosts; which are both rather common in the tier. Priority is always nice as well, especially with the Shell Smashers in the tier. Having only a single weakness isn't bad either. Especially when said weakness is a type that Mespirit is Immune to.

I chose Play Rough and Poison Jab for coverage; Play Rough hitting other Dark-types as well as Fighting-types; and Poison Jab hitting Fairies. Skuntank isn't good against Steels; which is another reason why I'm toying with HP Ground on Mespirit. But Steels in PU are pretty rare... because most of them are already in higher tiers.

Aftermath was chosen as the ability because it lets Skuntank trade with quite a lot of physical attackers if need by with Sucker Punch and the 25% hit from Aftermath.

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pyroar was actually added next for a simple reason: I wanted a fast Taunt. Especifically; one able to shut down the likes of enemy Mespirit. Pyroar; with 106 Base Speed; is one of the fastest pokemon in PU in the first place. The rest of the moveset is simple: Raw power to make use of Pyroar's 109 Sp.Atk stat. I don't trust Fire Blast's miss rate so generally go for Flamethrower.

With this core of three pokemon; I started thinking of pokemon to complement them instead of simply looking at viability.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Shadow Claw
- Toxic

Pyroar and Skuntank share Ground weaknesses. My team had a Water weakness and no resistances. Fighting wasn't a huge issue; but with Hitmonchan and Primape running around; I wanted another resistance for that. Trevenant fit all these criteria. Amazingly; Trevenant isn't even ranked on the PU Viability lists. I find this a little unfair to the tree; since this guy is the glue for my team. Trevenant is just fast enough to outspeed a surprising amount of PU's general tanks at Base 56; allowing him to throw up a Sub to absorb status; and then fight back with Leech Seed and Toxic. His Grass/Ghost typing gives him a lot of chances to switch in and get a Sub up and start being a massive pain.

However; none of this explains why Trevenant over Gourgeist-Super [Except the 2 Base speed advantage which lets him throw a sub up in front of said Gourgeist-Super before it can Toxic/Will-O it]. The advantage is in the ability; Harvest. Sitrus Berry activates as soon as you fall below 50% HP. This can lead to situations where Trevenant gets hit; eats a Sitrus; throws up a Sub; Harvests and immediately eats the Berry again; at which point Trevenant is above 50% and behind a Sub, allowing it at least 2 turns to Harvest again. All which Leech Seed is usually doing work. This is why I've gone Sitrus over the Nature-based berries as well. Those Berries only activate below 25%. I'm finding a lot of people have a lot of difficulty answering Subseed Harvest Trevenant.

Oh; and his Sp.Def is better so he eats up Water-type moves better as well than Gourgeist. I'd use Gourgeist if I wanted a pure physical wall; but Trevenant's role is as an annoyer and switch-forcer with incredible longevity.

I dunno. Maybe the extra Sp.Def and touch more speed are not worth running Trevenant over Gourgeist-Super. Base 55 isn't a massive speed tier. Maybe it's better to have Leftovers than Harvest-Sitrus. But Trevenant is working at least.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

I was originally a little suspect of the power of Hitmonchan. I saw the HP and DEF stats and was worried; especially in a tier as physically dominated as PU.

Then I realized I could for HP investment; an Assault Vest and Drain Punch and have a pokemon that could withstand most Special attackers in the tier; allowing me to invest fully into DEF on my Trevenant. Hitmonchan wasn't picked for the team to cover a specific weakness; although the Rock resistance is appreciated. Hitmonchan is just here as a pivot and switch-in to Special Attackers; as well as a Revenge-Killer and cleaner with Mach Punch. I wouldn't say Hitmonchan is an indispensable part of the team, but he's certainly won me a fair few games as well.

Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Liquidation
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

And here's the slot I am least confident in. With Pyroar and Trevenant, I wanted a FGW core. I've tried various Water-types. Lanturn made me too Ground-weak. and just felt like a momentum loss. Omastar just didn't fit the team and never got chances to set up. Even tried a Nasty Plot Simipour but that simply didn't work either. My current solution is Floatzel; giving the team a second physical threat. I specifically have gone with Band Floatzel because it allows me to use Switcheroo and Floatzel's incredible speed of Base 115 to Trickband in response to most pokemon in PU who like to set up. Banded Base 105 Attack is also pretty difficult to switch into.

However... I'm just not finding much of a chance or reason to make use of Floatzel. Most matches I win... I don't even use it. Maybe the flaw with this slot is that I keep trying Water-types. It hasn't escaped my notice that my team lacks any resistance to Flying, but Flying-types are not amazingly common in PU and most of them are frail enough that Skuntank and Hitmonchan's priority deals with them. Maybe I should go with something bulkier; or of a different type; to act as another pivot or supportive/annoyer pokemon like Trevenant. Or maybe just something like Eelectross to cover the Flying weakness.

I mean; Floatzel isn't showing itself to be strictly bad... but it's seeing a lot less use than the other 5 pokemon on the team.

Hey so I took a look at ur team and I noticed a few sets needed to be tweeked to work more effectively.
Mesprit + Skuntank + Pyroar + Hitmonchan + Qwilfish + Dugtrio-Alola
Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Skuntank @ Black Glasses
Ability: Aftermath
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Poison Jab

Pyroar @ Firium Z
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Dugtrio-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

So first off I changed ur Mesprit set to Choice Specs > Life Orb and I opted to get rid of SR and Shadow Ball. My main concern with this set was how unreliable it is at setting rocks due to its lack of recovery and Life Orb chip damage each turn. Due to its slow speed tier, I also thought that Specs would make for a better wallbreaker set. I chose Ice Beam > Shadow Ball as it is a better coverage move hitting bulky Grass- and Ground-types, like Lurantis and mudsdale, for better damage, while Shadow Ball would be considered a draw back to be locked into due to Normal immunity. In the final move slot I added Uturn, so that Mesprit could pivot, however Healing Wish or Trick can be ran here if u would rather that; I dont think u need trick due to already having 2 taunt Pokemon to shut down Walls. I also changed Psyshock to Psychic to help against setting up Gurdurrs.
I changed Play Rough to Crunch on Skuntank as Play Rough does not do enough damage to bulkier Fighting-types to be worth running. Eg. 252+ Atk Skuntank Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 124-146 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO. In general you are mostly going to click Poison Jab against Fighting- and Dark-types to try and chip them and get the potential poison, and tbh Dark-types dont usually stay in against Skuntank (apart from Spiritomb who would burn it) since they are affraid of the poison.
I changed Flamethrower to Fire Blast, and ur Life Orb to Firium Z just to increase Pyroars damage output, and that is because that is what the Taunt Pyroar set usually runs.
I changed Hitmonchans ev spread to help u outspeed Adamant Aggron, and other offensive base 50 Speed Pokemon that run max Speed, but not a + Speed nature.
Next I removed Trev and Float since Trev isn't a solid Grass Resist, being unable to check Water-types that carry Ice-type coverage, and I also found this Pokemon rather passive, and I removed Float since it didn't really have a reason to be on the team outside of completing the FWG core, which I unfortunately had to get rid of. In their spots I put Qwilfish, a much safer Water- and Fighting-type resist also having the ability to set up Spikes / TSpikes to chip Pokemon, helping the offensive half of the team break (Mes + Skun + Pyroar). Finally, I added Dugtrio-Alola to the team to set up Stealth Rock for the rest of the team, and the reason I chose him over any other SR setter was thanks to his Ground-typing letting him absorb Electric-type moves. VolTurn was something I noticed could exploit ur old team, and this was something I wanted to fix with my update. Toxic can be run over Sucker Punch if u would rather, but I felt that Sucker Punch was more fitting as 1. u already have TSpikes, and 2. This is a bit more of an offensive build.

Anyway I hope u liked my updates, and if u don't, then u can always revert back to ur original team. In general I felt that I was able to fix a few of your weaknesses, and while I did not add a Ground resist, I felt that it was not needed due to Mesprit's Ground immunity and it being able to switch in and punish something in return with either Specs damage, or via pivoting. In terms of some of the sets u were running, u are able to do /smogdex Pokemon in order to see what a Pokemon usually runs in a tier, or if the set that u are looking for is not available there, feel free to ask in the PU room. If there is anything u would like to know about why I changed such a thing, feel free to ask, and I wish u the best of luck if u decide to use this team n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)