A Colo(u)rful Walr(o)us

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm doing a theme Walrus based around colors. Hopefully that hasn't been done.

This is a Walrus that will be finished, so maybe that will convince some extra people to join in. I know I slowly stopped participating because too many people didn't ever finish their Walruses. I have a 1 to 1 finishing rate at the moment, so if you want to join a Walrus where all of your songs will be judged, please join this one.

The theme of my last Walrus was "I like old music". Since then I have tried to be a lot more open-minded to newer music. You should know that I like rock, pop, soul, r&b, alternative, and folk music, but I'm not as likely to enjoy as much hip-hop, rap, club, metal, or country music. I could list my favorite artists, but those all exist within 1970-1989, and this is not an old music Walrus, it is a color Walrus (and if you really want to pander, you can find my first Walrus with my favorite artists and existing ratings). I will say that as far as new(er) music goes, I like Bjork, Daft Punk, Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, Gorillaz, and Celine Dion, to name a few. You can submit these, you can submit for any artist this time. If you feel like submitting fully instrumental music (orchestral, soundtrack, video game, etc) that is totally fine.

Every category is basically the same. There is a color and you have to submit a song that makes you feel like that color. You must submit both a song and a short explanation of how the song relates to the color. For instance, "this song makes me angry, so I submitted it for Red" or "this song is super gay, so I submitted it for purple". Songs will be graded 50% on how well I think it relates to the color and 50% on how much I like the song. Now if the color (or a similar color) is in the title, I will subtract one point out of 10, and if the color is in the lyrics (but not the title) I will subtract half a point out of 10. This is to dissuade laziness, but if you feel that a song that breaks this rule is absolutely the right choice, feel free to submit it, cause if you're right, 9 points out of 10 is still really good. Lastly, I will be dropping the lowest score a person gets, because 11 is a stupid number of categories (I just can't justify dropping any of these colors), so if there's a color that you just can't be assed to find a song for, just let me know.

#1: Red

#2: White

#3: Orange

#4: Pink

#5: Yellow

#6: Grey

#7: Green

#8: Brown

#9: Blue

#10: Black

#11: Purple

If I really need to give examples as to what colors mean, let me know, but I'd like to keep it vague to see what y'all think.

Let's say sign-ups will close next Monday, 5/4. Sign-up by posting, sending me your first song (although sending me all songs asap is preferable). and joining the Walrus discord https://discord.gg/a75gk3Z. If you want to join but want to use your freebie on Red (for some reason, I would assume everyone would submit for that one), just let me know that you won't be sending a song for it.

Bonus
If you want to recommend "Rainbow" songs (ones that celebrate all colors and thus can't fit any category), then submit them and I'll use them as category kickoffs. If I pick one of your songs (or more), I'll give you 1 bonus point.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
hi, do we get docked points if the album that a song is on is named after a color, or is the loss of points only for the song title/lyrics?

also, you broke smogon dark mode with your bottom text, rip.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Bonus
If you want to recommend "Rainbow" songs (ones that celebrate all colors and thus can't fit any category), then submit them and I'll use them as category kickoffs. If I pick one of your songs (or more), I'll give you 1 bonus point.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I've been sent multiple songs because "the video has the color in it" or "the artist is associated with this color" and I do not care, this will not get you any points. I want the song to feel like the color.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
19. Celever
Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
Color 1.9 / Song 1.8

Player's Argument:
Alright if you can get over the fact that this is by a pretty pop star marketed to teenage girls, this is legit the best song I have for this colour. It's about the experience of going through a panic attack and thinking that everything around you is a danger to you, and red is the colour of danger. (I didn't include this song cos it says blood 15 times and blood is red, wanna make that clear lol)

My Thoughts:
Celever makes a good argument for red being about danger and triumphantly overcoming it. Unfortunately, probably due to the lame kind of music, the song does a piss-poor job of feeling like that.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
18. Lebossle
Varien - The Scarlet Dawn
Color 2.8 / Song 2.1 / Title Penalty

Player's Argument:
it's epic, and scarlet is red.

My Thoughts:
Lebossle was one of two meme subs, having subbed to each category a song that has a direct connection to its color, whether that's the artist name, album name, or use in a video.

Unfortunately scarlet is just red, so that's a title point penalty. Lebossle didn't put much more thought into their songs than the meme, but I guess this sort of has an epic sound. I'm not big on dub-step, but if this were music in a video game it would passable, which is the basis I'm giving its score (I have no clue what to do with it otherwise). Feels like I'm being very generous here but whatever.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
17. Isa
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2
Color 2 / Song 2

Player's Argument:
Chaotic instrumental with plenty of energy.

My Thoughts:
Isa was the other meme sub, having subbed a song with a different color in each category.

Is Red the color of chaos? It's an energetic color and energy creates chaos and disorder... hmm... very debatable. Don't know that this individual song really convinces me though. And as a "Part 2" to a song I have on my playlist (thanks to my last Walrus no less), you'd think this would be a good song but not really.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
16. ctgd
Chris Christodoulou - Blood on the Dancefloor
Color 2.4 / Song 2.2

Player's Argument:
red because blood in title, because theme of vampires, because somewhat menacing, and also a club track (if you need something to push the red into bright territory)

My Thoughts:
Title aside sounds like a pretty Black song to me. Not much to say all around.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
15. shubaka17
GIRLI - Can I Say Baby?
Color 2.3 / Song 2.4

Player's Argument:
see image but also, the pure love? the yearning for human contact and validation? but the crushing humiliation that maybe I'm wrong, maybe you don't feel the same way, and color rushes to my cheeks. I and You being used as an orator, shubaka17 is not in love with you vonfiedler

My Thoughts:
I want to try not to say this song is Pink, because the video is very pink and the artist is named GIRLI, but it's not a song about a deep love. It's a song about a fledling love and that feels very pink.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
14. Aladynn
Dying Fetus - Subjected to a Beating
Color 4.6 / Song 1 / Lyric Penalty

Player's Argument:
Red to me is a color of not just anger, but a sort of pure primal, bloodthirsty rage. From a musical perspective I pretty much only associate it with death metal and punk. I think this song really captures that "seeing red" state super well.

My Thoughts:
Lot of balls to submit this kind of metal to someone who says he doesn't like the genre. Also gets a lyric penalty for "Like a thousand red stabs of pain", though maybe I should forgive that from a song which has completely unintelligeble lyrics? Nah, I don't like it enough to give it that leeway. Gets all its points from being very Red.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
13. Schiavetto
Lianne La Havas - Heartbreak
Color 2.5 / Song 3

Player's Argument:
Red is a color with mixed connotations, signifying danger and vitality, love and anger. For me, this song captures the intensity of those contradictions like few others do, celebrating the pain of heartbreak and the rebirth that lies beneath that pain.

My Thoughts:
Tried to hit a very simple color from multiple angles and ended up with Red as "heartbreak". Sounds fairly Blue to me, but I'll meet you halfway. Decent new R&B song.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)