A return to pokemon (NU RMT)

Well, I've been absent from playing since before platinum version, but now I've gotten back into it. I don't really like the new OU but I've found the new NU to be very fun. I've won a few matches with this team (after the period of playing against the clueless folks, though I admit I did get a kick out of the choice specs Tauros someone used on me) but feel it definitely needs some fine tuning.

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock

I've always had a soft spot for the no guard dynamicpunch lead, I used to use scarf Machamp all of the time and have found Golurk to be just as good in NU. EQ for hard hitting STAB, SR is my only entry hazard but I feel it's sufficient. I often find myself really, really wishing he had access to shadow sneak rather than shadow punch.

Golbat @ Eviolite
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- Taunt

Wow, eviolite is a ridiculously powerful item. Golbat's resists combined with eviolite's insane defensive boost make him a really annoying threat, capable of walling many physical attackers, countering setups, and of course annoying the hell out of supports with taunt. Considering infiltrator over inner focus, but considering both flinch and screens are pretty uncommon in NU, I don't think it really matters.

Haunter @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain

Trickspecs Haunter is another answer to sweepers, being able to screw whatever it can't kill with a swapped choice specs. Pretty classic, straightforward set. Kinda wish it got focus blast for all of the normal types, but hey, can't have everything.

Cinccino @ Life Orb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- U-turn
- Tail Slap

I question how much longer this thing will be in NU, because it is damned impressive. Not only can it fling out huge attacks, but all of its attacks basically ignore substitutes and it's lightning fast. Rock+Grass+Normal covers almost every imaginable threat for neutral, and U-Turn is the icing on the cake, allowing easy switches in to whatever it can't kill.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Fire Blast

Weezing is a pokemon that I dearly love, but one that hasn't been performing as well as it used to in my UU teams. Its fall to NU may have been for a reason, I've found, as it can't survive well in the lower tiers now that gen 5 introduced a lot of pokemon with a ton of raw power. This is one of the main reasons I'm posting the RMT, because I think it may be time to kiss this guy goodbye, but I'm not sure what the most effective defensive pokemon would be here :pirate:

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Trait: Filter
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam

Mime has always been a staple of my lower tier teams, good speed combined with passable defenses and nasty plot makes him quite threatening, especially once counters have been removed or nullified by Golbat and Haunter.

As for what I'm noticing trouble with, not a whole lot as of yet, but I have a hard time dealing with other Ciniccios, Haunter is outsped and so frail he can't really take a rock blast, bullet seed destroys Golurk, Weezing's not bulky enough to handle tail slap unless I make him max defense, which would critically weaken his sdef. Golbat is also hit by rock blast and Mime can't defend very well against it either. Considering maybe Gurdurr, but not very sure, I have little experience with gen5 pokemon.

Oh god damnit, it logged me out while I was posting it and I redirected to the wrong board after logging in, can a mod move this to RMT? Sorry about that.

If you don't like Weezing, Skuntank can do nicely.

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Sucker Punch can help stop Cinccino by hitting it's horrible defense hard, but it takes a lot of damage in the process, so it's still not a great counter. It's better than Weezing, though, because of it's Dark typing, which means there's no fear of switching it into a Psychic-type and Pursuiting. Taunt is extremely useful because most people switch in their hazard setters against Skuntank expecting to wall it, and then get forced to switch out when they can't use SR or Spikes. Speaking of that, Skuntank doesn't fear Toxic Spikes either. Sucker Punch gets STAB and the boost from 252 Atk EVs, and it doesn't require Skuntank to have a lot of speed. Poison Jab is a good STAB too, but you can replace it with anything, really, since you'll find that you won't use it a whole bunch. Actually, Poison Jab is good to hit Fighting-types hard than Sucker Punch or Pursuit.

Oh as a note: If you can use force a switch with Taunt, do it and follow with Pursuit. Seriously. Pursuit hits pretty hard on some things when they flee.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First, you do need a bit more description on a couple of your Pokemon at least. Try adding important details like what the purpose of the Pokemon is, why you chose that particular Pokemon over a similar one, and what the item and EVs are for. Just stuff like that really helps people rate after all. Second, you should PM/VM a moderator and politely ask the to change this to an NU RMT, otherwise most NU raters will pass this by accidentally.

Third, a good reason why your Weezing isn't effective is because you EVed it Special Defensively. Weezing is a physical wall, so changing it to a Physical Defensive EV spread will do wonders. Replacing Thunderbolt with Sludge Bomb is also a good idea, since you need STAB (and a way to hit Flash Fire Pokemon).

Your team is very...odd to say the least. You mashed 3 Poison-types, 2 Ghost types, a Normal type, and Mr. Mime onto the same team and you don't see any problems besides opposing Cinccino? You may need to test this team out A LOT more (at least 20-30 times, not including the first few battles you have when you start off). You also should take a gander over to Battling 101 to improve your team-building skills so that your teams have better synergy.

I'll do what I can with as few changes as I can. To start, Haunter needs to go. It doesn't provide you with anything that you don't already have, and the teamslot can be used for something that helps the overall team instead. Since judging by your minimal descriptions, this team's main win condition is Mr. Mime, I'll focus on helping it sweep. Scarf Sawk would thus be a great replacement for Haunter. It gives you a powerful revenge killer, as well as a way to break through Steel-types and Special Walls. Next, Golbat is very redundant with Weezing and one or the other should be removed. Actually, Skuntank does really well over Golbat by giving you a Poison type that is immune to Psychic-type (and 2 Poison-types that are immune to Ground as a trade-off).

Finally, you should run enough Speed on Golurk to outspeed minimum Speed Alomomola, which is 84 Spe EVs (deducted from HP).

Changes:

Weezing: Physical Defensive spread>Special Defensive spread; Sludge Bomb>Thunderbolt
Golurk: 176 HP/ 252 Atk/ 84 Spe Adamant Nature

Sawk>Haunter
Skuntank>Golbat

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Just look at Gengan's Skuntank!

Good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)