A Team - Gen V Stall

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
5th gen is fully upon us. With only a few months to go until it comes out in Europe, North America, as well as Australia, the metagame is still an exciting place. Suspect tests are still going on with the hopeful end result of a balanced metagame. That being said, a member as old as I am can't help but at least try to get back into the groove of things even if it's out of interest.

That being said, I hold the view that the best way to learn a metagame is to play stall. Stall relies on checking as many opposing threats as possible and slowly wearing down the opposing team. With so many new Pokemon along with older Pokemon receiving new toys to play with, it will be a tough journey to the top. By playing stall, it enables me to truly learn what is threatening and what is a pushover instead of merely hearing from word of mouth or attempting to read the many, MANY threads in UT.

This team was originally built back when Darkrai, Deoxys-N/A, Skymin, and Inconsistent were still here. However, due to college applications, I was unable to play very often. I decided to wait until they were banned in order to get back into the fray. With everyone having a fresh start in a brand new metagame, the sheer number of teams will lead to a pleasureable experience.

Anyway, enough talking. Let's get onto the actual team!

Team building/Overview:
Knowing that I wanted to play stall from the beginning in order to learn the actual metagame, I immediately sought a bulky Pokemon, one with recovery and massive defenses. Because more teams in this metagame don't bother to carry Rapid Spinners, I knew I had to have Stealth Rock. With the influx of stronger physical attackers, I knew I had to have a physical wall in order to stop all of them. Immediately, my eyes went to one Pokemon: Hippowdon.

Knowing that a stall team succeeds by wearing down opposing Pokemon, entry hazards are mandatory to succeed in that goal. With Hippowdon already having Stealth Rock, a Spiker is a must. Forretress has a hard time setting up entry hazards due to the stronger attacks, while Skarmory never truly appealed to me. One Pokemon jumped out at me: Nattorei. A new 5th generation Pokemon, Nattorei's bulky defenses along with unique typing enables it to switch into many different attacks and immediately begin setting up Spikes. With that, nattorei was added to the team.

No stall team is complete without a dedicated special wall. Evolution Stone Chansey was still relatively undiscovered at this point, and because I was reluctant to change, I stuck with what I knew best: Blissey. Knowing that Nattorei doesn't have reliable healing, a set with Wish is the best choice for my team.

Still with the 4th generation mentality in mind, I needed a Ghost-type Pokemon in order to block Rapid Spin. If the opponent were to remove my entry hazards using Rapid Spin, it makes it that much more difficult to defend against opposing Pokemon. Normally, I would jump to a Rotom forme. However, because of the change in 5th gen that removed the formes' Ghost-typing, I was stuck using another Ghost-type Pokemon. None of the new 5th gen Ghost-types really appealed to me except for one: Burungeru. With handy resistances from its Water-typing, Burungeru can really help defend against powerful attacks.

With my mentality already set on not having Roar on my Hippowdon, another physically defensive wall, one preferably with phazing capabilities, is a helpful boon to my team. Gyarados got a new toy in Dragon Tail, enabling it to phaze even when it's Taunted. Additionally, Intimidate can help soften blows for my Hippowdon to take more easily.

Looking through my team, I noticed quite a large weakness to Breloom. Because my team doesn't carry a Ghost-type Rotom, I was forced to use a different Pokemon in order to check it. Defensive Salamence is a forgotten Pokemon, but it can check Breloom pretty well (as long as it doesn't eat a few Stone Edges). Additionally, with Flamethrower, it can help prevent Nattorei and Forretress from freely setting up.

After playtesting it for a little bit, my team had no real fast revenge killer or ending sweeper to truly finish off the opposing team. Salamence and Gyarados also ended up overlapping in terms of roles because of their similarities. Because I valued Salamence more due to its resistances, Gyarados was chosen to be taken off the team. Furthermore, because my team didn't particularly like entry hazards either, a Rapid Spinner is desired. Adding up all of these individual components, I was left with Doryuuzu. After adding it to my team and testing it out, it was a great fit.

Thus, another team complete.

In depth look:

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang

Overview: Because of team previews, no team really has a "true" lead. However, more often than not, I send in Hippowdon in first because I am too lazy to think that much early game. Additionally, getting up Stealth Rock early game is always helpful in wearing down the opposing team. Furthermore, with the hard hitting physical Pokemon of 5th generation, Hippowdon easily helps along the team with Slack Off and sandstorm stalling away the opposing team.

Moveset: Earthquake is the obligatory STAB move, capable of hitting hard even with uninvested EVs in attack. Slack Off is a major necessity due to the many hits that Hippowdon will be taking. It also enables Blissey to pass Wish onto a different Pokemon instead of having to pass it to Hippowdon. Stealth Rock is underrated, as it can break Multiscale Dragonite and generally wear down opposing teams. Ice Fang is given the nod over Roar because of its ability to hit Randorosu as well as Balloon Doryuuzu.

EVs and item: 252 HP and 252 Def EVs along with an Impish nature give Hippowdon the maximum defensive capabilities. The remaining EVs go into Special Defense. The attacks are just too strong this generation to do a specially defensive spread like Kevin Garrett had last generation on his Hippowdon. Leftovers for gradual recovery.

Playing style: I generally play very recklessly with Hippowdon. If I see an opposing Politoed, I keep Hippowdon in even if it may be more advantageous to send in Nattorei or Blissey first. Hippowdon is slower than Politoed, which enables sandstorm to stay up and not let the opposing team sweep my team. Furthermore, I'm not afraid to take heavy damage on the first turn just to get up Stealth Rock. Because my team abuses resistances, the opposing team will be hard pressed to constantly switch in and out in order to check my Pokemon.

Considered changes: Roar > Ice Fang. Although Ice Fang is useful in taking down some Pokemon, there are those situations where I would much rather Roar in order to predict the switch-in. However, it makes it that much harder for my team to take down Doryuuzu.

Nattorei (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Overview: Nattorei is the premier Spiker in this generation. With Payback's nerf and harder hitting opponents deminishing Forretress's utility as well as Skarmory's inability to check Rain Dance teams that well, Nattorei is added onto my team instead. With Spikes and Leech Seed generally wearing down the opponent, Nattorei is a key component of my large plan. Furthermore, with its massive defenses, it can serve as a general switchin to plenty of Pokemon just to get the cycle all started again.

Moveset: Spikes is a necessity on a stall team, especially with as many threats in this metagame as there are now. Because Nattorei only has Leftovers, it is stuck with Leech Seed in order to gain other recovery. However, Leech Seed has a double use. It enables me to switch Nattorei into an Outrage, Leech Seed, and Spikes up while the opposing Dragon is losing at least 20% a turn from Leech Seed, Iron Barbs, and sandstorm. Power Whip serves as my anti-Rain Dance move as well as my check for Cloyster. Gyro Ball hits fast enemies hard such as doing close to 60% to Birijion who think they can freely set up in front of Nattorei. Both of these attacking moves serve as general STAB moves also, though I find myself using Spikes and Leech Seed MUCH more often.

EVs and item: I'm not really sure what these EVs do but they give a nice balance of Defense and Special Defense. I know from experience that a Shell Break Icicle Spear only does 85% max to this Nattorei, meaning that even with Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes down, at full health it can live and KO back with Power Whip. Otherwise, it's a good general spread for taking Draco Meteors and whatnot. Leftovers are Nattorei's only way of healing away damage besides Leech Seed. Although I could use Shed Shell to escape from Magnezone, Leftovers is much more useful.

Playing style: I bring Nattorei in on basically every bulky Water-type Pokemon I can find with the exception of Rotom-W because many of them carry Hidden Power Fire to hit Nattorei with. From there, depending on my HP, I either Spikes or Leech Seed. I'm not afraid of Magnezone KOing my Nattorei, as it enables me to lay down at least another layer of Spikes because they only 2HKO me with HP Fire. I also tend to bring this in on other Nattorei because for some reason they never Spikes in front of me, they always switch out immediately. Finally, I'm not afraid to leave it in and Gyro Ball/Power Whip something to cripple it, as it makes it that much easier to take down later on in the match.

Considered changes: Potentially changing the EVs but they work for me so there's no real need to do so.

Doryuuzu (F) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Overview: It may be strange to have such a potent sweeper on a stall team, but Doryuuzu fits a unique position on this team. With immunity to both Toxic and Thunder Wave, it can easily come in on status moves and threaten immediately. I end up thinking of this as a 5th gen Scarftar because of its Speed enabling it to check many things that stall teams are weak to. However, that view is slightly skewed because of Rapid Spin. With Doryuuzu having the capability of 2HKOing spinblockers, Ghosts are afraid of even coming in in the first place, which enables me to get off a free Rapid Spin. Furthermore, Doryuuzu's Speed and power enable me to finish off opposing teams that can't be worn down as easily.

Moveset: Swords Dance is there to not only scare away Ghost-type Pokemon but also to pull off a sweep in the end of the game if it's necessary. It's one of the main reasons my team can handle Rain Dance teams: I take down their Politoed, bring Hippowdon back in, and then get Doryuuzu to get a Swords Dance and then sweep. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB move, capable of dealing massive damage due to Doryuuzu's base 135 Attack and Swords Dance. Rock Slide hits any Levitating and Flying-type Pokemon and with Doryuuzu's Speed can pull off a flinch or two when it's needed. Rapid Spin is actually the main reason it's on my team. Burungeru and Blissey hate Toxic Spikes, Hippowdon and Nattorei hate Spikes. With Ghosts fearful of coming in, Doryuuzu can easily get off a Rapid Spin.

EVs and item: Max Speed is a necessity to Speed tie opposing Doryuuzu while max Attack for the most power. Doryuuzu doesn't have the bulk to invest in HP a lot anyway, so this is the best spread available. Balloon is chosen because the additional immunity is helpful against Choiced Pokemon if Salamence is dead and Hippowdon is weakened.

Playing style: Being the most frail member of the team, obviously I'm very cautious about switching it in. This can be a bad thing at points because if I don't get it in, opposing Spikestacking teams can quickly wear down my team. In reality I should probably be more aggressive with it but it does its job well either way.

Considered changes: None really.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Overview: Blissey will always be the defensive wall that I use. Even though Evolution Stone Chansey is bulkier on both sides than Blissey, there are a few reasons I still use it.
1) Blissey has Leftovers. I like seeing the bar go up and down.
2) Defensive capability not cut by 1/3 through Knock Off or Trick, making Blissey still capable of walling many Pokemon.
3) Blissey pride.
In reality, Chansey would be a better Pokemon here. Either way, Blissey does an awesome job of tanking whatever comes its way. It's one of the key points in defeating a lot of setup sweepers as Toxic is a key component in wearing them down. Other than that, it's Blissey.

Moveset: Wish is extremely helpful for this team as it enables me to keep Nattorei healthy as well as other teammates if they can't get off a Recover/Slack Off. I enjoy having Softboiled as well because I like having the extra healing PP. It also enables Blissey to get from 1% to 100% in one turn. Seismic Toss is there for the consistent 100 damage while Toxic is part of my plan to slowly wear down opposing enemies.

EVs and item: 252 HP lets Blissey pass the largest Wishes while 252 Def and a Bold nature give Blissey the most physical defense. Leftovers is one of the key reasons I use Blissey over Chansey (I like seeing the moving HP bar).

Playing style: Switch Blissey in on many special attackers, Softboiled if low on HP, Toxic otherwise, Seismic Toss for free damage. Blissey isn't that hard to use, but it can get a bit tricky sometimes. Overall a straightforward Pokemon.

Considered changes: Chansey > Blissey but Chansey is lame. Also Flamethrower > Seismic Toss to break Gengar's Subs and 3HKO Nattorei but then I get walled by Heatran.

Burungeru (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Boil Over
- Recover
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Overview: On paper, Burugeru plays a key role for this team: blocking Rapid Spin. In practice, this doesn't work so well. Because it is weak to Toxic Spikes, opposing teams that try to Rapid Spin often have Toxic Spikes as well. Additionally, it's susceptible to Spikes, making its job not as easy. Nevertheless, its Water-typing makes it really easy to switch into things like Infernape and Heatran and tank their Fire Blasts. Its Ghost-typing is also one of the ways that I slowly wear down Birijion. Other than that, I can't really think of things that Burugeru does. However, it does do its job when it has to.

Moveset: Boil Over (Boiling Water) is incredibly useful due to its burn chance for unsuscepting Pokemon like Nattorei. Recover serves as instant recovery which enables it to heal away any residual damage. Taunt prevents Forretress and Nattorei from setting up Spikes as well as boosting Pokemon from setting up too much. Shadow Ball serves as a secondary STAB and can hit other Burugeru as well as various Psychic-type Pokemon.

EVs and item: 252 HP and 252 SDef with a Calm nature enables it to switch into even Starmie and spinblock well. Since Burugeru dies to Doryuuzu either way, there's no need in my mind to invest in Defense. Leftovers aids in healing away the chip damage.

Playing style: It's hard to really describe because I don't have much playtime with it. I don't bring it in a lot and oftentimes it becomes death fodder. However, I'm not afraid of freely switching it into Forretress to actually block Rapid Spin when it has to.

Considered changes: MANY. A list:
  • 252 HP and 252 Def with a Bold nature. Patches up Burugeru's frailer side and gives it more overall bulk.
  • Toxic > Shadow Ball. Prevents sweepers from setting up in case Blissey can't switch in for whatever reason.
  • Compeletely ditching Burugeru and replacing it with a defensive Rotom-W. 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold nature, Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Fire / Will-o-Wisp. Enables me to handle Gliscor and Gyarados better.

Salamence (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spd
- Wish
- Protect
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower

Overview: Last but certainly not least we have Salamence. Banned in 4th gen for being a fierce mixed sweeper, it rejoins 5th gen on my team as a defensive wall. Intimidate coupled with the incredibly useful resistances from its Dragon-typing means that it can check a lot of stuff. Furthermore, even with its HP lacking in comparison to Blissey, it can still pass Wish decently. Originally I thought Gyarados would be better for this team but when Salamence takes 20% from a Focus Punch from Breloom and has a reliable way to take it out, you know you've made the right choice.

Moveset: Wish and Protect serve as Salamence's main way of healing. Protect is insanely useful to the point that I sometimes wish I had it on Blissey but it fits Salamence a lot better for whatever reason. Dragon Tail is quite a useful move, as even with 0 Atk investment it still does a chunk of damage. That, coupled with entry hazards, means that the opponent will find itself suddenly missing quite a bit of its HP. Flamethrower isn't there to sweep but more to make sure Forretress, Skarmory, and Nattorei don't have a field day with Salamence.

EVs and item: 248 HP EVs give Salamence the maximum non-Stealth Rock weak HP while 32 Speed lets Salamence outspeed Tyranitar (for whatever reason). The remaining EVs go into Defense. An Impish nature is used because I don't want to reduce Dragon Tail's damage and Flamethrower is only for a few Pokemon anyway so it's not a huge problem. Like the rest of my team, Leftovers helps with walling.

Playing style: I'm really quite rash about Salamence. I take risks and switch it in to Pokemon that can easily KO it just to get the Intimidate on it and then go back to Hippowdon or Nattorei to sponge attacks. I also tend to Dragon Tail a lot. As for Breloom, I let something go to sleep and then watch as Breloom can't break through Salamence's defenses.

Considered changes: Roost over Wish, Dragon Claw over Protect, Roar over Dragon Tail. However, Protect is really useful on Salamence so I probably won't make this change.

Ending:
Stall teams are never done. This is merely the tip of the iceberg. With so many different Pokemon viable as well as new Pokemon leaving and entering the metagame, stall teams will always change to adapt. This is merely step one of a long journey. Let's see what happens along the way.

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Threat list (in alphabetical order) (stolen from Iconic with some edits)

Black is fine.
Orange can be problematic.
Red is dangerous, I really have to play my best to handle it.

Arcanine
  • Physical attacker: Hippowdon doesn't care, Salamence can Intimidate, Doryuuzu can outspeed an KO with Earthquake/Rock Slide.
Birijion
  • Calm Mind: Tough to handle. Go to Blissey on the Calm Mind, Toxic, then begin stalling and predicting well with switches to Burugeru/Salamence on Focus Blast/Giga Drain along with Protect.
  • Swords Dance: Much easier to handle than the Calm Minder. Salamence can eat a +1 Stone Edge and phaze it out with Dragon Tail, meaning that the next time it comes in it'll have around 50% max, making it easier to handle. Sometimes I like to be gutsy with Nattorei and just Gyro Ball for a good 60%.
Blaziken
  • Swords Dance: Salamence handles it if it has Thunderpunch/Shadow Claw for Burugeru, Buru handles it otherwise. Hippowdon can eat one hit and KO back with Earthquake.
Blissey
  • General wall: Slowly wear it down with Toxic. Might get a bit annoying but Nattorei can Leech Seed stall if it doesn't carry Flamethrower.
Borutorosu
  • Nasty Plot: Quite annoying because +2 Focus Blast hits like a truck. Get off a Toxic, stall for a bit, revenge with Doryuuzu if I have to.
  • Mixed: Theoretically this can cause quite a bit of damage to my team so I just have to predict correctly and revenge KO with Doryuuzu. It's a good thing Doryuuzu is immune to Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt...
Breloom
  • SubPunch: Let something get put to sleep, send in Mence, wall.
  • Subseed: See above.
Bronzong
  • Wall: Nattorei sets up Spikes, Hippowdon takes whatever hits.
  • Offensive TR: Nattorei, Hippowdon.
Burungeru
  • Wall: Spikes do a number on this, Toxic it if I can. Buru can Shadow Ball it if I feel gutsy.
Cloyster
  • Shell Break: Nattorei has to be at full health to handle this. It comes in on the Shell Smash, lives the Icicle Spear, and KOes back with Power Whip. If it KOes Nattorei, go to Doryuuzu and hit it with a Rock Slide.
Deoxys-D
  • Spiker?: Don't see it but it can't do much to Doryuuzu while I can just Rapid Spin/set up. Nattorei can Spikes also, Blissey can Toxic.
  • Agility: Can't do anything to Nattorei or Doryuuzu. Might take a while to take down though.
Deoxys-S
  • Lead: Hippowdon 2HKOes while they Taunt and Stealth Rock. Probably the best way of handling it.
  • Attacker: Doryuuzu outspeeds and KOes. Nattorei can probably live a HP Fire and KO back.
Doryuuzu
  • Swords Dance: Salamence can eat a +1 Rock Slide and Flamethrower/Dragon Tail to break the Balloon. Doryuuzu can Speed tie and KO with EQ if opposing Doryuuzu doesn't have its Balloon. Hippowdon can live a hit and KO with EQ if no Balloon.
Dragonite
  • Dragon Dance: Salamence Intimidates it, go to Hippowdon and hit it with a few Ice Fangs.
  • MixNite: Predict well, Doryuuzu can revenge.
Erufuun
  • Annoying little thing: Go to Nattorei, Gyro Ball several times. Salamence scares it away with Flamethrower if it's not gutsy enough to stay in and Twave Mence.
Espeon
  • Calm Mind: A lot don't carry something for Nattorei so I just start Gyro Balling or setting up. Hippowdon goes straight for the EQ, Blissey goes straight for STosses.
  • Baton Pass: Can be annoying. Just adapt to the situation.
Forretress
  • Spiker: Annoying because I don't often change Hippowdon so it ends up getting like 4 layers or something stupid against me. In reality I shouldn't have this trouble, I'm just lazy.
Garchomp
  • Swords Dance: Send in Mence, lure it into Outrage, switch to Nattorei or Hippowdon. Alternatively, Hippowdon can 2HKO with Ice Fang.
  • Choice Scarf: Predict. Hippowdon for everything, Nattorei for Outrage/Dragon Claw, Salamence for everything else.
  • Choice Band: See above. It just hits harder.
Gengar
  • Life Orb: Blissey stalls it down.
  • SubSplit: Somehow break the Sub and get Nattorei to Gyro Ball.
  • Choice Specs/Scarf: Prediction. Blissey for everything but Focus Blast, Burungeru otherwise.
Gliscor
  • Poison Heal: Intimidate switch between Mence and Nattorei. Easiest if they don't carry Taunt or Toxic. Hippowdon can Ice Fang, Burungeru can Boiling Water.
  • Swords Dance: Actually problematic because my team can't stop it fast enough. Getting Rotom-W would make this easier.
Gyarados
  • Dragon Dance: Trouble because nothing on my team can actually KO it. Doryuuzu fears a surprise Waterfall while Mence can only Dragon Tail out and cause it to take more Stealth Rock damage. Rotom-W would fix this also.
  • Resttalk: Can't really do much to my team offensively, though Dragon Tail is annoying.
Heatran
  • Choice Scarf: Blissey fully walls it especially since Explosion got nerfed. Burungeru can come in on Fire Blast, Earth Power, and Dragon Pulse.
  • Balloon: See above.
  • Substitute: Get its HP down low enough with Blissey and Burungeru, then KO.
Hihidaruma
  • Physical attacker: Salamence has Intimidate, Hippowdon has massive defense.
Hippowdon
  • Wall: Nattorei sets up. Anything else walls in general except Doryuuzu.
Infernape
  • Mixape: Salamence walls except for HP Ice and doesn't like Stone Edge as much. Burungeru doesn't take much except Grass Knot. U-turn is annoying in general but oh well. Hippowdon can take a Fire Blast if need be and KO back with Earthquake.
  • Swords Dance: Salamence handles it if it doesn't carry Stone Edge. Burungeru resists/is immune to both STABs.
  • Nasty Plot: See above.
Jirachi
  • Calm Mind Wish: Hippowdon can eat 2 +1 Psychics and 2HKO back with Earthquake (hazards may be needed). Doryuuzu revenge kills, Salamence can Dragon Tail for more entry hazard damage before it's too boosted up.
  • Choice Scarf: Prediction. Hippowdon eats most of its attacks.
  • Sub + TWave (or TWave in general): Hippowdon's immune to Thunder Wave and has the Defense to take multiple Iron Heads. Salamence can Intimidate to lessen those blows.
Jolteon
  • Special attacker: Blissey. Doryuuzu can revenge kill, Nattorei can Leech Seed.[/B]
Kabutops
  • Swords Dance: Make sure it's not raining then bring in Nattorei and Power Whip for the KO. Intimidate with Salamence then go to Hippowdon so it can live the next Waterfall and KO back with Earthquake.
Kingdra
  • Dragon Dance: Lure it into Outrage with Salamence and then switch in Nattorei or Hippowdon.
  • Special attacker: Blissey or Nattorei, depending on how I feel. Burungeru on Hydro Pump/Surf (only if Specs). Preferably not have rain up.
Kojondo
  • Physical attacker: Hippowdon. Salamence for Intimidate fun. Burungeru can switch in on Hi Jump Kick for fun.
Kyuremu
  • Special attacker: Blissey can probably stall Focus Blast and just sit there for Life Orb recoil. Never really seen one but seems simple enough. Doryuuzu can revenge.
Latias
  • Calm Mind: Blissey can Toxic or Seismic Toss accordingly. Nattorei handles it if it doesn't have HP Fire.
  • Choice Specs/Scarf: Prediction. Hopefully Blissey doesn't get Tricked.
Latios
  • Calm Mind: See Latias.
  • Choice Specs/Scarf: See Latias.
Lucario
  • Swords Dance: Hippowdon can live a Swords Danced Close Combat and KO back with Earthquake. Salamence can handle Lucario if it doesn't carry Stone Edge or Ice Punch (most don't). Burungeru can hopefully burn with Boiling Water if Lucario doesn't carry Crunch. Doryuuzu can outspeed and KO.
  • Nasty Plot: Doryuuzu can outspeed and KO if it doesn't have Vacuum Wave. Salamence won't like special attacks but it can live a +2 LO Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse and hit back hard with Flamethrower.
Ludicolo
  • Rain Dance attacker: Hopefully rain isn't up. Blissey can take a bunch of hits because it's Blissey, Nattorei can live one Focus Blast and hit back hard with Power Whip. Trouble if it carries Giga Drain.
  • Swords Dance: Nattorei resists Waterfall and Seed Bomb and only fears it if it carries Drain Punch. If it doesn't have Ice Punch, Salamence can Dragon Tail it away.
Machamp
  • 4 attacks: Switch around smartly with Hippowdon, Burungeru, and Salamence, getting various Intimidates on it.
  • Sub + 3 attacks: Hopefully have gotten an Intimidate on it. Hippowdon should be able to tank any hits.
Magnezone
  • Trapper: Can only trap Nattorei, which can be problematic at times. Otherwise, it's not such a big problem. At least Nattorei gets up another layer of Spikes before it dies.
  • Choice Scarf: Predict. Hippowdon, Doryuuzu, Blissey.
Metagross
  • Agility: Hippowdon eats it for breakfast unless Metagross gets tons of Attack boosts from Meteor Mash.
Nattorei
  • Tank: Go to my own Nattorei and begin setting up Spikes. I don't mind having it set up Spikes against me as soon afterwards I'm probably gonna Spin them away with Doryuuzu. Salamence can threaten it with Flamethrower if it's weak enough.
Ninetales
  • Nasty Plot: Go to Hippowdon to get rid of the sun, then go to Blissey or Burungeru to Toxic/Boiling water.
  • Defensive: They last longer but aren't of any additional threat to the team. See above.
Onokusu
  • Choice Band: Predict accordingly. Salamence and Doryuuzu for Earthquake, Nattorei and Hippowdon for Outrage.
  • Dragon Dance: Switch to Salamence somehow to lure it into a Outrage then go to Nattorei or Hippowdon.
  • Swords Dance: Don't see them but same plan. If they have Dragon Claw instead of Outrage that's slightly more problematic, but Hippowdon can take him.
Politoed
  • Rain Dance whatever: Keep Hippowdon alive. That's how you beat Rain Dance teams. As for Politoed itself, it often carries either Toxic or Focus Blast, rarely both. Toxic variants go to Nattorei, Focus Blast go to Blissey.
  • Choice Specs/Scarf: Blissey handles it either way. Burungeru has Water Absorb.
Porygon2
  • Wall: These are stupidly bulky. Just keep on switching around, getting off a Toxic on it, and then generally stalling. I haven't met a variant that Nattorei can't set up Spikes on yet so I get down a few layers.
Randorusu
  • Rock Polish: Smart switching until I can get Hippowdon in. It can live an HP Ice and hit hard with Ice Fang.
  • Swords Dance: Really hard for my team to take down. Salamence can Intimidate to reduce the power so Hippowdon can actually live an Earthquake while Hippowdon then hits it with Ice Fang. Annoying but I see Rock Polish versions more often.
  • Physical attacker: Salamence gets an Intimidate, Hippowdon walls afterwards and hits it with Ice Fang.
Rankurusu
  • Calm Mind: My team comes to a dead stop against this. Magic Guard helps against entry hazard damage, it's pretty bulky so my attacks won't do much against it, and it has Recover to heal off any damage. In order to fix this, I'd have to change at least 2-3 Pokemon on my team, something like Bulky SD Roost Scizor or Calm Mind Latias. I'm perfectly fine with not beating this.
  • Trick Room: Not as big of a problem, go to Blissey and start Seismic Tossing.
Roobushin
  • Bulk Up: Most carry Payback so Salamence can come in and Dragon Tail it out and force it to take more entry hazard damage. If it carries Stone Edge, Salamence gets hit hard but still manages to force it out.
  • Choice Band: Predict accordingly. Salamence and Hippowdon both do well.
Rotom-W
  • Wall: Still can't do anything to Blissey. If it doesn't have HP Fire, Nattorei sets up and only risks being burned by Will-o-Wisp.
  • Choice Specs/Scarf: Watch out for Trick on Blissey but other than that predict the attacks accordingly.
Salamence
  • Dragon Dance: Hippowdon can live an Outrage and KO back with Ice Fang. Salamence can lure it into Outraging and then go to Nattorei or Hippowdon.
  • Mixmence: Tricky but the power of prediction does well. Doryuuzu can revenge kill. Also, sandstorm, Stealth Rock, and Life Orb work well in taking it down.
Sazandora
  • Special attacker: Blissey survives any hit and Toxics it so slowly wear it down.
  • Mixed: Lure it into Outrage and then go to Hippowdon/Nattorei.
Scizor
  • Choice Band: Hippowdon eats ANYTHING. Salamence has Intimidate. Burungeru doesn't mind Bullet Punch or Superpower.
  • Swords Dance: A +1 LO Bullet Punch barely does over 50% while Salamence can scorch Scizor with Flamethrower.
Shandera
  • Choice Scarf: Blissey for anything. Burungeru otherwise.
Skarmory
  • Spiker: Nattorei can Spike in front of it also. Doryuuzu isn't afraid to Rapid Spin either since it's immune to Spikes. Salamence can scare it away with Flamethrower.
Starmie
  • Special attacker: Blissey has no problems with this. Burungeru can live 2 Thunderbolts and KO back with Shadow Ball.
Tentacruel
  • Toxic Spiker: Only annoying because nothing on my team can kill it fast. Blissey is the best choie as it doesn't have to deal with Poison before switching in yet. From there, it can Seismic Toss. Nattorei can Power Whip several times while Doryuuzu can Earthquake or Rapid Spin away Toxic Spikes but fears Boiling Water/Surf.
Terakion
  • Double Dance: Can't do enough to Hippowdon. Hippowdon KOs back with Earthquake. If it only got the Swords Dance, Doryuuzu can revenge. It it only got the Rock Polish, it's too weak to sweep. Problematic if it has Balloon.
  • Choice Scarf: Predict accordingly. Hippowdon and Salamence work fine.
Tyranitar
  • Choice Scarf: Predict accordingly. Hippowdon for anything, Salamence for Superpower/Earthquake, Nattorei for its STABs. Doryuuzu can revenge.
  • Choice Band: See above
  • Mixtar: Slightly annoying but Nattorei can live a Flamethrower and KO back with Power Whip/Gyro Ball. Hippowdon can taken an Ice Beam and ht it with Earthquake while Doryuuzu can outspeed and it hit with Earthquake.
Urugamosu
  • Sweeper: I usually have Stealth Rock and Spikes up so it's already below 40% when it comes in. Blissey can handle the rest, Burungeru for emergencies. Doryuuzu can revenge if it only got 1 Butterfly Dance.
Vaporeon
  • Wish support: Nattorei comes in and Spikes up. Blissey can Toxic it. Burungeru can Taunt it to prevent it from helping its teammates.[/B]
Venusaur
  • Growth: Blissey for special variants, though it takes a while because it's immune to Toxic. Salamence for physical variants. Hopefully sandstorm is up so it can't get more double boosts from Growth.
Zapdos
  • Special attacker: Blissey. Doryuuzu can hit it with Rock Slide if it comes in on Thunderbolt.
Zoroaak
  • Nasty Plot: I usually don't pay attention in battle so I accidently lose a Pokemon while playing against it. Nevertheless, go to Blissey afterwards and Toxic stall with help from Burungeru for Focus Blast predictions.
Zuruzukin
  • Bulk Up: Salamence resists Drain Punch and doesn't take much from Crunch/Payback and can Dragon Tail it out.
  • Dragon Dance: Annoying because they carry Ice Punch. Intimidate with Salamence, go to Hippowdon and start Earthquaking. I can also be gutsy and just Dragon Tail out with Salamence.

Hello supermarth64.

This is a pretty solid, albeit generic stall team, although it paints an almost perfect picture of stall in the current 5th gen metagame. However, there are quite a few common Pokemon that cause most stall teams trouble, and these Pokemon stand out to yours as well.

These three Pokemon are Rankurusu, Birijion and Voltolos. Due to Magic Guard, there is almost nothing you can do vs. a Calm Mind Rankurusu and it will more often than not, outright sweep you, unless you get a couple of handy crits / spdef drops with Burungeru. While the latter two certainly do not threaten to sweep your entire team cold, they both present huge issues and can possibly remove 2-3 Pokemon on your team. Voltolos, in particular, is able to hit your entire team super-effectively, and 2HKO every member in the process. You have identified all three as pretty huge threats to your team in your threats list, although you said you would have to change too much of the team in order to fix that. However, I have one quick fix that you might want to try out. Have you ever considered Calm Mind + Roar Latias over Burungeru?

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid | Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse / Calm Mind / Roar / Recover

With Calm Mind and Roar, Latias is able to Calm Mind alongside both Rankurusu and Birijion. It is then able to force them out with Roar leaving a +6 Latias in your opponent's wake. Latias is also able to deal with Voltolos comfortably as Hidden Power [Ice] is the best attack Voltolos can muster against it, and even that is comfortably shrugged off. What Latias brings to the table, is insurances vs. all three of these threats to your team, the ability to rack up entry hazards with its Roar [the Lati twins are both incredibly good at forcing switches] and a late-game cleaner with almost all its checks Spikes bait. However, you do actually lose out on quite a bit by replacing Burungeru. Without Burungeru, you no longer have a dedicated spin-blocker. But, I don't really think that is really a huge problem, because in reality there are not really that many viable spinners in this metagame. Latias also comes with the huge problem of being Pursuit bait, but Roar does not only rack up entry-hazard damage, it can also scout for counters [although Team Preview helps a lot with this...]. As long as you play Latias conservatively, you should be able to keep it around until lategame to deal with that last-Poke Rankurusu [which Latias will almost always beat due to the fact that Psychic and Focus Blast do poor damage and Dragon Pulse can 3-4HKO the offensive versions forcing it to recover every second turn].

While running two offensive dragon-types may look quite odd, replacing Salamence with Latias would open you up to Pokemon such as Roopushin. Salamence can also be a last ditch effort to stop opposing Doryuuzu and Intimidate can be really useful for helping Hippowdon and Nattorei take boosted physical attacks.

Just something to consider. Good team and good luck!

This is a really solid start to a stall team with good defensive synergy everywhere that allows you to take on nearly all threats. Stall + rapid spin dory is always hard to beat. You do have problems with some stallbreakers though; taunt + will-o-wisp pokemon like Burungeru (fairly common) and Mew (less common) can slowly wear down your team. You've also identified SD Gliscor and Randorosu as threats, and these pokemon are really rising in popularity and are key threats to cover. Rotom-W is a great pokemon to handle all of these threats. I recommend a spread of 252 HP / 184 def / 72 SpA bold; the special attack guarantees a 2HKO on max/max+ burungeru with thunderbolt, and the rest is placed in defense to take on Randorosu. Make sure you include pain split in its moveset, over either hp fire or will-o-wisp.

After that, it seems like you have problems with calm minders that can get around Blissey. Manaphy in the rain (good luck switching hippo in) and calm mind Rankurusu can both switch in and pretty much say gg. Without changing your type-synergy too much, I recommend calm mind + roar Latias over Salamence. It can still take on Breloom, and it can calm mind alongside the aforementioned threats before roaring them out when it gets to +3 or so. The only problem I can see with this change is that it leaves you Roobushin weak; I'm not really sure how to deal with that other than turning your team into a carbon copy of mine, which I want to avoid.

Also keep using Blissey. Chansey is lame.

EDIT: Starting working on this post before I saw Heist's and now I'm sad that he beat me to the CM Roar Latias punch. Use it.

Stall is hard to pull of this gen, and this is a decent stall team. Abomasnow is slowly gaining popularity, being able to cancel sun, rain and sand. SubSeedBlizPunch really can cause trouble for this team. Since there is nothing about Abomasnow in the threat list, I suggest you find a reliable way to counter it, as it can come in Buru, Hipp and to an extent, Blissey and Nattorei.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, from your threat list, you have trouble with Swords Dancing Ground-types like Landlos and Gliscor. You have rain covered well enough, IMO, so I think it would be better if you changed Nattorei to Skarmory:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD (Change around if you wish)
Nature: Bold
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Spikes

Richard, no Taylor Swift theme for this one? I am disappoint.
Anywho, shouldn't you be considering Shandera instead of Magnezone when picking leftovers over shed shell on Natt? With so many people using it as a Breloom+steeltype check, imo, shed shell is a better choice. Wouldn't be surprised if the SubCM set had no problem setting up too.

Very nice team man. I think that you should go with what Heist's suggestion of CM Roar Latias over Burungeru, rapid spinning is not very common right now and Latias prevents you from being destroyed by Rankurusu.

One other suggestion I'd like to make is ResTalk shuffle Garchomp over your WishMence. While I don't think this is really as important as Latias > Burungeru, I think it warrants a try. The set is:

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
- Dragon Tail
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This gives you a solid sleep absorber and a good 'speed shuffler'. Just something to consider trying, good luck with the team.

edit: I really think Evolution Stone Chansey > Blissey here. You're not packing anything to hit ghosts anyways, so it's not like you're losing out on that. Chansey is alot bulkier and only has 5 base less HP.

Richard, no Taylor Swift theme for this one? I am disappoint.
Anywho, shouldn't you be considering Shandera instead of Magnezone when picking leftovers over shed shell on Natt? With so many people using it as a Breloom+steeltype check, imo, shed shell is a better choice. Wouldn't be surprised if the SubCM set had no problem setting up too.
unless he is playing in a DW tier shandera is irrelevant; it hasn't been released with shadow tag yet.

anyway this team looks really solid, I really think stall is very much playable in gen 5 unlike what the popular opinion was a few weeks ago and I think this team proves it

The one thing I noticed about this very good stall team due mostly to my unfamiliarity with them is a slight problem with Venusaur on the threat list. If it carries Growth+Giga Drain, Blissey cannot beat it at all due to an alternation of Growth+Giga Drain outdamaging S-Toss. For this reason you have a bit more cause to run Flamethrower, but I'm not sure this is the best option due to the rarity of Sun teams, just making you aware of this though.

Mence can handle it unless it carries HP Ice (which means it doesn't have HP Fire for Natt), or Sludge Bomb (more probably), which at +2 has 81% chance to OHKO, though. I really love the defensive Mence set though, I think it's a great niche for him now there's so many new/unbanned dragons around.

EDIT: Oops, my calcs were for Timid Venusaur, if Modest then it gets a clean OHKO on Mence.

Why softboiled over Protect on Bliss? They are both good options but protect is good for scouting and adding up that extra damage.

Heck, Flamethrower could even be used over Softboiled, exploiting Blissey's one advantage over Chansey in Higher Special Attack. Wish works well for recovery anyway, albeit a more delayed form.

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
*Cough* Wow I am a huge slacker.

@Heist: I was thinking using that Latias as I've seen you suggest it to a few teams already. However, personally I was thinking that I should put it over Salamence but your suggestion of replacing Burungeru for it is a much better idea. It's working well so far, though obviously more testing will be needed.

@Snunch: Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather keep Salamence. Intimidate is much more useful than it's given credit for, and Salamence is a key player even if it may not look like one.

@Jcpdragonx: With the addition of Latias onto my team, Abomasnow shouldn't be that big of a problem. With its massive Special Defense, it can Calm Mind in front of Blizzards (as long as they don't freeze) and then the opponent is left with a +6 SpA and SpD Latias to deal with. Thanks for the caution anyway.

@Shrang: I don't really see how that helps with Gliscor (I still lose to last Pokemon SD Gliscor) and Landlos does a truckload with Stone Edge to Skarmory while the best I can do is Whirlwind it out. I think it's just one of those things that my team (and stall teams like it) will have trouble with.

@NJzFinest: You suck lol. No DW Shandera yet gg.

@Blazin Kickin Chicken: Intimidate is much too useful to give up just for a Resttalker, so Salamence is staying. I'll try out Chansey but I'm ignorant/inclined for Blissey anyway :P.

@FarmerWithShotgun: Thanks for the comments.

@Benlisted: Yea I hadn't really faced many Venusaurs yet but most of them are Sleep Powder/Growth/2 attacks, meaning it has 4MSS. Even so, with Latias now on the team, it can come in and set up Calm Minds so boosted Sludge Bombs won't be as difficult for my team to handle now.

@Dragonmist19: Blissey ruins those as long as I don't get the Trick on it, and even then it still has the defenses to tank their hits pretty well. Additionally, it's not like that's the only thing on my team that's stopping it.

@AzZona: I like to use Softboiled over Protect. I know sometimes the extra Toxic damage is helpful but more than not I end up switching out to something that can handle the Pokemon that threatens Blissey anyway.

@jynx KB: Wish by itself is almost always a bad idea, I would know from personal experience. Even then, without Wish (aka if I replace Wish with Flamethrower), then I have no real means to support the rest of my team with besides Salamence who doesn't have as good Wish-passing capabilities as Blissey does.

Keep these rates coming, I'll update my team some time tomorrow!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)