Ability Exchange XY

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Sheer force is about 1000 times better than Intimidate, and REckless. Sheer force on specia attackers is unreal, Alakazam with sheer force and a life orb is insanely strong, completely making up for its pitiful bulk. Plus, you dont really need speed with gale wings, an Braviary is a fair bit bulkier. Braviary has Superpower, which is inferior to close combat, but nearly on par and the ability it passes off is too good to ignore.

Why not use Staraptor, which has better speed, Close Combat, and better abilities to pass off in Intimidate and Reckless (sheer force is cool I guess though)
Braviary has a better attack stat, better bulk, a better ability, better HP for recoil, and a better set-up move (staraptor only has work up, and braviary has bulk up)

I think I just found out a nice offensive core thanks to the last 2 comments. Probably not the first person to think of this, but w/e.
Magic Guard Talonflame hits pretty damn hard, with an effective 120 Attack base stat with LO equipped, 120 BP STAB attacks, and high enough speed to run an Adamant nature.
Gale Wings Braviary can spam the 2nd most powerful Brave Bird in the game to be an effective revenge killer.
Sheer Force Alakazam has already proven itself in the past. Clefable could also be used here, thanks to its different typing, superior bulk, and better movepool to abuse Sheer Force.
I think something like Regenerator Swampert would be good here, to absorb the Rock and Electric type moves (while not being weak to water and ice), and allow me to pivot between members of my core. Anyone have anything else to add?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Alõdramoongus!

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature / Quiet Nature
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast / Dragon Tail

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
~ Waterfall
~ Toxic
~ Wish
~ Protect

Amoongus @ Black Sludge
252 HP / 68 Def / 52 SpA / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
~ Spore
~ Giga Drain
~ Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
~ Stun Spore / Synthesis

If using Sap Sipper, Alomomola now only has 1 weakness, and can benefit from the Attack boost of Sap Sipper as well. Its sole weakness, Electric, is resisted by Goodra, who can later Regenerate it off. Goodra is weak to 3 types: Dragon, Ice, and Fairy. Amoongus handles Fairy-types, while Alomomola walls Ice-types. Physically-oriented Dragons, like Garchomp, are handled by Alomomola, while Amoongus stops specially-oriented ones. Amoongus is weak to Ice, Fire, Psychic, and Flying type attacks. Ice and Fire are handled by Alomomola, while Psychic-types, who ususally use Special attacks, are stopped by Goodra. Finally, Physical flying-type attacks are stopped by Alomomola.

Thank you for reading! Note this is all theorymon.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alõdramoongus!

Goodra @ Assault Vest
248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature / Quiet Nature
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast / Dragon Tail

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
~ Waterfall
~ Toxic
~ Wish
~ Protect

Amoongus @ Black Sludge
252 HP / 68 Def / 52 SpA / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
~ Spore
~ Giga Drain
~ Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
~ Stun Spore / Synthesis

If using Sap Sipper, Alomomola now only has 1 weakness, and can benefit from the Attack boost of Sap Sipper as well. Its sole weakness, Electric, is resisted by Goodra, who can later Regenerate it off. Goodra is weak to 3 types: Dragon, Ice, and Fairy. Amoongus handles Fairy-types, while Alomomola walls Ice-types. Physically-oriented Dragons, like Garchomp, are handled by Alomomola, while Amoongus stops specially-oriented ones. Amoongus is weak to Ice, Fire, Psychic, and Flying type attacks. Ice and Fire are handled by Alomomola, while Psychic-types, who ususally use Special attacks, are stopped by Goodra. Finally, Physical flying-type attacks are stopped by Alomomola.

Thank you for reading! Note this is all theorymon.
That looks like one hell of a defensive regenarator core. Unfortunately, only 1 out of 3 Pokemon in the core can deal significant damage. Though I'm assuming most wins will be ragequit-based.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
That looks like one hell of a defensive regenarator core. Unfortunately, only 1 out of 3 Pokemon in the core can deal significant damage. Though I'm assuming most wins will be ragequit-based.

If Alomomola ever gets to +1, it should be able to do some decent damage, as wellas wearing then down with Toxic.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ability Exchange is legit, dunno why it's seeing so little discussion when it's easily one of the best OM I've ever played.

Defiant is something I'd love to play around with a bit more, seems like a really solid choice given the way the real OU metagame turned out. I'd love to switch a Scarfed Kyurem-B into a predicted Defog after setting up some hazards early game. From there on thanks to it's great bulk CUBE becomes hard to take down and insanely difficult to stop and can stomp through weaker teams.
Kyurem-Black passes a nice ability in Mold Breaker which is a great ability to help stomp through common defensive cores. Last gen, the big thing was Flash Fire Ferrothorn / Levitate Heatran / Iron Barbs Cresselia. With Mold Breaker a Pokemon such as Darmanitan can easily stomp that core whilst also passing a useful ability in Sheer Force to something like Alakazam or Thundurus both of which have useful abilities to pass. (Magic Guard, Defiant and Prankster)

I'd like to point out that it's hardly fair to use a Mega Pokemon to dump a terrible ability onto just so that it is relieved when the Pokemon Mega Evolves. If we leave it the way it is I feel that there is no opportunity cost to using some really powerful Pokemon which isn't really right. I propose that Mega Pokemon should keep there previous ability when Mega Evolving in AE so that people put more thought into teambuilding and don't just try and be broken as possible.

Also Magic Guard LO Archeops Head Smash is broke as hell, that thing needs to be banned imo.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreed. Everybody goes on about passing Magic Guard and Gale Wings, but there are many other abilities that can be passed that haven't been discussed yet. For instance, Pixilate Hyper Voice could really help Togekiss, especially since it doesn't get any STAB more powerful than Dazzling Gleam. In return, it could pass Serene Grace (if it gets unbanned which it might) or Hustle (unless it gets banned which it could). Trevenant could receive Infiltrator to Leech Seed through Subs, while passing on Harvest for something bulky to abuse. Blissey could get either Unaware or Magic Guard/Bounce or even take a page from Hackmons and go for Imposter (again, if unbanned, which it should because it implies a 5v6 battle) while passing on Serene Grace (again, if unbanned) to something else. Also, every special attacker can now abuse Technician-boosted HP.

We should really start talking about some abilities we've overlooked, as well as questioning what is broken and what isn't.

I found this meta very fun in gen 5, and I'm expecting it to be the same for gen 6. Poison Heal Cresselia will probably receive even more usage due to the Drizzle nerf (HydraRest Cress doesn't work anymore), although, that was the most common set anyways. I can see Protein getting use, as well as Gale Wings. When will this be implemented on the main server, I can't find it in the potions for tier when teambuilding?

Sap sipper swampert anyone??
As for insanely powerfull attackers, what about marowak? Any ideas to abuse marowak's 586 Attack?

Here's a core that I think would be very fun:
Mega Aggron + Furfrou
Now, if Megas can swap abilities, then you get something with a Defense stat that bypasses any known limit possible. Meanwhile, Furfrou now can have Filter, which is a cheaper Fur Coat. Also:
Greninja + Nidoking.
Enough said.

Sheer Force Scald, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse and Extrasensory/U-turn on Greninja? Protean Nidoking? That's a brilliant idea Chestnaught! Gonna go steal it and use it on like every team haha.

EDIT:
One thing I thought of: Aurorus + Aggron
Aggron gets Refrigerate to get excellent coverage against everything except bulky waters and Aurourus gets Sturdy to compensate for its awful typing.

Last edited:
Iron Defense Aggron everybody:
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron: 69-82 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron: 39-46 (11.3 - 13.3%) -- possible 8HKO
+6 252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron: 240-284 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes (not even guaranteed!)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron in Sun: 129-153 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+5 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron in Sun: 283-334 (82.2 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron in Sun: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron: 69-82 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron: 39-46 (11.3 - 13.3%) -- possible 8HKO
+6 252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron: 240-284 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes (not even guaranteed!)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron in Sun: 129-153 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+5 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron in Sun: 283-334 (82.2 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Aggron in Sun: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
U forgot mold breaker.
With mold breaker, anything can break through aggron or just use special attacks.
Some calcs
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Mold Breaker Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Aggron: 400-472 (116.2 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Albacore

Impressive. It's a shame that special attacks exist, though.

I honestly think it's better to pass Fur Coat to a special wall like Chansey or Goodra.

Now that I think about it, AV Goodra/Tentacrual with Fur Coat would be nearly unstoppable given Wish & Heal Bell Support.

I was wondering about Floette-Eternal and her insane move, Light of Ruin. She can abuse the move to its full extent with neat abilities like Magic Guard(imho the best because it cancels recoil), Rock Head(see above, but less effective because it doesn't block hazards or status), Adaptability, Reckless(mah power) Regenerator, Harvest(those two for handling the recoil) etc, while passing a great ability in Flower Veil. For those who don't know, if a Pokémon whit Flower Veil or a teammate on the field at the same time is a Grass type, the ability negates stats drops AND non-volatile status such as paralysis, so she can pass the ability to a Grass type such as Trevenant, Ferrothorn or something, or to a Mega , since the ability is overwritten anyway when you megaevolve.

How would meloetta + greninja work?? Meloetta can go mixed with Relic Song/Close Combat/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball while greninja gets Serene Grace to abuse Scald/Ice Beam/Dark Pulse for flinches-burns-freezes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)