AbNormal {Community Project} [Voting Phase]

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Furret
Electric/Water
+Nuzzle
It's main use is to use Surf, and other HMs.

Noctowl
Psychic/Dark
+Dark Pulse
It is nocturnal, as said above, but it also has a ton of traits as being a Psychic-type.

Lopunny & Mega Lopunny
Ground ----- Ground/Fighting
+Earthquake
They're rabbits! Rabbits live in dugouts, which are in the ground.

Present
Grass
Present's are normally put under a tree during Christmas time. wrapping paper is made from tree bark.

Last edited:
Furret
Electric/Water
+Nuzzle
It's main use is to use Surf, and other HMs.

Noctowl
Psychic/Dark
+Dark Pulse
It is nocturnal, as said above, but it also has a ton of traits as being a Psychic-type.

Lopunny & Mega Lopunny
Ground ----- Ground/Fighting
+Earthquake
They're rabbits! Rabbits live in dugouts, which are in the ground.

Present
Grass
Present's are normally put under a tree during Christmas time.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to remove noctowls flying type

As I've stated, the voting phase has begun, but I cannot list all the submissions as usual.
Sorry, but it would take so much of my time, as I am currently using a portable device to type this due to a lack of a laptop/computer, and thus it takes much longer to create all the hides, gather up the submissions, etc.

If you don't know how to vote, look at the OP.

Note: Please ignore Langur's Noctowl submission, and Ghoul King and imas234's Noctowl entries are fused together, as well as The Reptile and Ghoul King's Furret entry. If any of those people do not want their submission fused, please notify me asap.

Anyway, onto this week's questions to keep the chat alive.
  • Which entries for this week do you agree/disagree with? [Remember: Be to the point and decisive, no hate]
  • Do you think any of last week's retyped Pokemon will get more usage because of these retypes?
  • What new sets can be made using last week's retypes?
  • Which/Do Pokemon gain/lose an advantage from Fairy type Covet, Electric type Quick Attack or Flying type Round?
  • Now that Eevee has access to Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam, which Eeveelutions get an advantage from this?
  • Are there any unanswered questions you want to know specifically about this Pet Mod? If so, please tag me when asking the question and I will reply.
Thanks for reading, sorry for inconvenience, Happy Holidays, and get voting!

Well, Electric Quick Attack won't see much use, as physical electrics are few and far between, not to menction they are far from viable.

Round will give Lilligant some Coverage yay could see some very situational use on Mons which want Flying Coverage.

Covet << Return

Play Rough Leafeon much? Hell, could even be good

Do you think any of last week's retyped Pokemon will get more usage because of these retypes?
Audino is more viable on the whole, but it's still got that "too similar to Chansey" thing going on, so how much more use it will actually see is another matter entirely.

Bibarel is overall a better type, though now it fears the likes of Sucker Punch. I could see it going either way, really.

Staraptor is now similar to Hawlucha. but with Intimidate instead of Unburden. I'm not sure if this helps it or hurts it, actually.

Raticate now has the notable unique niche of being a Dark Guts Sucker Puncherrrr... actually it's kind of competing with Zangoose. Hm.

Which/Do Pokemon gain/lose an advantage from Fairy type Covet, Electric type Quick Attack or Flying type Round?
Quick Attack is loved by Light Ball Pikachu, Electivire, Zebstrika, Raikou, Luxray, and some variants of Manectric. Additionally, it provides Water and Flying priority coverage to a ton of things, including Mega Scizor!

Round means everything in the world has gained Hidden Power Flying That Ignores Substitutes. It does matter in Doubles/Triples play though, where suddenly it means universally available 120 BP Special Flying coverage, sort of. Round teams in particular are no longer walled by Ghosts.

Covet is mildly nifty. For Technicians that would like to run Frustration, it's a flat improvement to Play Rough -so Cinccino, Persian, Ambipom, and Hitmontop, basically.

Now that Eevee has access to Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam, which Eeveelutions get an advantage from this?
Well, Espeon already gets Dazzling Gleam. I think Jolteon might be it for caring about Dazzling Gleam, in practice -anti-Dragon coverage.

Play Rough on the other hand is fantastic for Flareon and Leafeon -now Leafeon in Sun can terrorize Dragon types!

Which entries for this week do you agree/disagree with? [Remember: Be to the point and decisive, no hate]
DARK/PSYCHIC NOCTOWL ALL MY FFFFF

i'm just joking because it was illegal

Really mostly Grass type Present. I just. Grass type Present. Did penguin Santa build a box that explodes into trees?

Votes are in!
Furret
Electric/Fairy +Play Rough, +Wild Charge, +Nuzzle (By Ghoul King and The Reptile )
Noctowl Psychic/Flying +Hurricane, +Light Screen, +Trick Room (By Ghoul King and imas234 )
Note: Due to an error on my part, normally if I did not change anything this submission would also have Psyshock, but that would be illegal. In the end, I decided to cancel out Psyshock. If either Ghoul King or imas234 want to replace one of the three moves here with Psyshock, notify me asap. For now, this is the submission.
Unfezant
Dark/Flying +Knock Off, +Pursuit (By Ghoul King )
Lopunny Fairy +Play Rough (By Throbulator36 and Ghoul King )

Present Ice (By Throbulator36 )
Smelling Salts Fighting (By Ghoul King )
Secret Power Psychic (By Throbulator36 )

Lovely Kiss Dark (By Ghoul King )
Milk Drink Fairy (By Ghoul King )
Sing Fairy (By Ghoul King and Throbulator36 )

Thanks to all that submitted!
And now...

Pokemon (Note: Submissions that have already been made (i.e. Using the same type, with same moves and with the exact same justficiation as someone who submitted before) will not be included)

Smeargle
Watchog
Diggersby
Pidgeot

Damaging moves

Egg Bomb
Barrage
Dizzy Punch

Status moves

Sketch
Glare
Psych Up

Get submitting!

Here are a few discussion points also;
  • Once all Normal Pokemon have been retyped, what should we do first? Look back at previous retypes and possibly change some, or look back at retyped NFEs and start changing them?

Thanks for reading!

canno

formerly The Reptile
Watchog
Dark
+Sucker Punch

Yay more mono Dark-types! I don't see much else working for it - its Pokedex only say it attacks with seeds that it has in its cheeck pouches (not enough justification for Grass imho), and it talks about its bio-illumination. They use it to stun enemies which could be seed as a "dirty trick"? I dunno, there really isn't much here. It thrives in the dark which was my main thing (I know that Dark is Evil in Japan but we got things like Umbreon being Dark, something tied to darkness / night time).

Diggersby
Ground (Bunnelby is Ground)
+Spikes

Simply just kept Ground as their type, as not much else would make sense. They pretty much have all of the Ground-type moves (even Rototiller!) except for Spikes so there you go.

Pidgeot
Flying (prevolutions are also Flying)
no new moves

Pretty much what happened to Diggersby - not much else makes sense. Can't even add any moves tbh outside of randomly adding Focus Blast or Blizzard which would be silly.

Egg Bomb
Grass

Pretty much because Exeggutor is Grass and Eggs fit into the nature mofit. The only other option I see is whatever Chansey's type is or Psychic.

Barrage
Fighting

Surprisingly not a barrage of fists - its actually orbs according to the games. Still went with the obvious Fighting though because its about throwing the objects and that to me seems more fitting with Fighting than anything else.

Dizzy Punch
Psychic

A punch that causes confusion? Sounds pretty Psychic-y to me! The only other option is Fighting (and only for ebic sheer force fighting) and Fairy, but Psychic fits better imho

Sketch
whatever Smeargle is

I have no clue what Smeargle should be, which is why I didn't include it. Sketch should be what Smeargle is though

Glare
Dark

Scaring the opponent so hard that they end up paralyzed sounds like a Dark move to me. Electric is boring too, so Dark is stron.

Psych Up
Psychic

"The user hypnotizes itself into copying any stat change made by the target."

That's pretty Psychic to me. Honestly confused why this isn't Psychic to begin with, but whatever.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Smeargle
Psychic
Great learning capabilities, an artist uses it's brain

Watchog
Dark +Glare
Menacing-looking grumpy rodent. Super and Hyper Fangs were retyped to Dark, and Bite and Crunch are already Dark. I don't know why it doesn't get Glare when it's the Lookout Pokemon.

Diggersby
Ground/Fighting (Bunnelby is pure Ground) +Close Combat
It's already part Ground and Fighting kinda fits (because of fist ears), it also learns many Fighting moves. (The truth is, Ground was already submitted)

Egg Bomb
Fire
Hard one. It explodes, and Explosion and Self-Destruct were retyped as Fire.

Barrage
Grass
Exeggutor's signature move. Resembles a seed, and it doesn't look like it explodes.

Sketch
Psychic
Same reasons as Smeargle

Glare

Dark
It's an evil glare. Not much else to add.

• Once all Normal Pokemon have been retyped, what should we do first? Look back at previous retypes and possibly change some, or look back at retyped NFEs and start changing them?

Thanks for reading!
I'd like to retype NFEs that don't have many similarities with their evolution. I like the *preevo* is *one of the two types of the evo* submissions.

oh thank god Lovely Kiss got Dark type, however much of an aesthetic choice it might actually be

Also, I'd prefer to replace Light Screen with Psyshock on Noctowl if imas has no particular objection to that.

I could see going back over some of the things that have already been done and maybe tweaking some of them -I'm not particularly thrilled with how Raticate and Zangoose are overly similar (again), for instance. It shouldn't take too long, unless we're talking being willing to undo any decision and not simply focus on a parameter like "we have too many overly similar results".

Smeargle
Psychic type
+Every move in the game except Chatter

Why: Because what Smeargle does is basically magic in every possible sense of the word, and the Psychic type is unequivocally the type that "it's just magic don't question it" gets dumped on.

Watchog
Electric/Dark type
+Wild Charge, Quick Attack, Snatch

Why: Its tail glows, it learns several Electric moves already, it learns several Dark moves already, and its freaky-deaky eyes really look like some weird combination of Dark/Electric logic to me. I'm actually genuinely puzzled as to why it doesn't get Snatch already, given the obsessive sentry theme.

Diggersby
Ground type (Bunnelby is of course also pure Ground)
+whatever

Why: Just echoing an existing pure Ground entry. Without error: type missing I just can't see any other typing than Ground for it, except maaaaybe Fighting... which was also already submitted.

Pidgeot
Fairy/Flying type (Pidgey and Pidgeotto are pure Flying, Mega Pidgeot is Fairy/Flying)
+Dazzling Gleam

Why: BEHOLD THE GLORY OF ITS PLUMAGE AND DESPAIR AT YOUR OWN LACK OF PRETTINESS. Seriously, the ORAS Pokedex entry talks about that. (Every previous Pokedex entry is "behold my chest muscles" or "I'm a bird that eats fish" or "SPEED MORE SPEED") I've always felt Pidgeot is a very pretty bird whose typing was a bit disappointing for what it is, and its Mega just reinforces this. Conversely Pidgey and Pidgeotto are just tiny boring birds who lacks the awesomeness of Pidgeot. And pure Flying is cool.

Egg Bomb
Fairy type

Why: Fairy coverage! Same typing as Chansey! Exeggutor is the only other Pokemon that learns it and doesn't care and really the typing doesn't even matter since none of the Pokemon that get it will use it!

Barrage
Grass type

Why: Just reinforcing this vote. Not like it really matters: we could make it Dragon type and nobody would notice because nobody would run it.

Dizzy Punch
Flying type

Why: I'm gonna be the weird guy. Thing is: Dizzy Punch is called "tweet-tweet punch" in the Japanese, a clear reference to the circling birdies after you punch their stupid face so hard they're concussed. So: birdy punch!

Sketch
Psychic type

Why: To reiterate: it's friggin' magic.

Glare
Poison type

Why: Glare is actually most strongly associated with snake Pokemon, whom are themselves usually venomous, and it was the signature move of Ekans/Arbok in Generation I. In fact, the Japanese name is "Snake Glare"! So: Poison type.

Also because it's rare to be able to re-type to Poison with any justification at all.

Psych(ic) Up
Psychic type

Why: Echoing The Reptile. Why isn't it Psychic in the first place?

Might as well make some submissions before everyone takes my ideas. :P

Watchog
Ground/Electric (Pre-evo is pure Ground)
+Earthquake, +Wild Charge, +Quick Attack
Based off the Groundhog and Meerkat, two underground-dwelling animals, to make it different than other Ground types, Watchog has luminescent stripes and can learn many electric type moves already by TM and Tutor.

Pidgeot
Flying/Fighting (Pre-evos are pure Flying)
+Focus Blast, +Submission, +Close Combat
Pidgeot is based off a Bird of Prey, primarily the Eagle. Braviary, also based off the Eagle, is now Flying/Fighting too. I know we have a lot of Flying/Fightings now, but this is just kinda an excuse so Mega Pidgeot gets Focus Blast. I decided to choose Fighting just because of that- and the only other type that hasn't been done for Pidgeot could be Fairy because of its ORAS entry...

Dizzy Punch
Fairy
Originally Kangaskhan's signature move, and Kangaskhan is now Fairy/Ground. Fairy obviously fits better. Also, the majority of Pokemon who can learn this move are now Fairy type. The only other type I can think of is Flying, since the japanese name is 'Chirp Chirp Punch'. But that's a really long stretch.
EDIT: nvm that last sentence, Ghoul King...

Glare
Poison
Originally Ekans and Arbok's signature move. Not much else to go on.
Oh, and it's japanese name is Snake Glare, and snakes are associated with Poison.

EDIT: sniped by Ghoul King, in that case Grass type since that's the second type Snakes are associated with.

Smergale fairy
There no good typing for smergale that will suit it
Watchog fighting/dark +close combat + drain punch
Watchog knew some fighting type moves and some dark type

Egg Bomb
Flying
I just imagine birds dropping enormous eggs from the sky to attack the opponent. It doesn't quite make sense with Chansey's and Exeggutor's types, but neither Pokemon really use the attack anyway.

Smeargle
Ground
We already have some dogs that have been changed to Ground (the Stoutland family), and it just seemed to make sense. Smeargle is a dog (kind of), and dogs like mud. Especially since Smeargle is an artist, it can use different types of clays and sands and coal and stuff.

Regigigas
Fighting/Ground
+Hammer Arm +Drain Punch
Ground type because regigigas towed the continents together, fighting type because as the creator of the regi trio, it should have some form of advantage over them. Hammer Arm because it has big arms and is tall enough to squash many pokemon, drain punch because it gets it in gen 4.

Crush Grip
Fighting
Same type as regigigas because it is its signature move also because it implies crushing an opponent in its hand which sounds very fighting type imo.
I second this.
Also:
Pidgeot
Flying pure(nothing else seems to fit this thing)
+boomburst(sonicboom IMO due to its large speed)
Its a fast special bird nothing else to say here really. I mostly got this from its appearance and its stats.

It's Voting Time!
If you do not know how to vote, please read the OP.
If your submission is fused with another's yet you want your submission to be separate, notify me asap.

Dark <+Sucker Punch, +Glare> (The Reptile/the someone)
Electric/Dark <+Wild Charge, +Quick Attack, +Snatch> (Ghoul King)
Ground/Electric <+Earthquake, +Wild Charge, +Quick Attack> (MegaGallade) Note: If this submission wins, Patrat will be pure Ground type by default.
Fighting/Dark <+Close Combat, +Drain Punch> (money12wolf)

Ground <+Spikes> (The Reptile/Ghoul King)
Ground/Fighting <+Close Combat> (the someone) Note: If this submission wins, Bunnelby will be pure Ground type by default.

Note: Whatever submission wins, Pidgey and Pidgeotto will be pure Flying type by default.
Flying <+Boomburst> (The Reptile/Rich Homie Supreme)
Flying/Fairy <+Dazzling Gleam> (Ghoul King)
Flying/Fighting <+Focus Blast, +Submission, +Close Combat> (MegaGallade)
Flying/Dragon <+Draco Meteor> (Throbulator36)

Psychic <Obviously no new moves> (the someone/Ghoul King)
Fairy <Obviously no new moves> (money12wolf)
Ground <Obvously no new moves> (GiveUsYourBones)

Grass (The Reptile)
Fire (the someone)
Fairy (Ghoul King)
Flying (GiveUsYourBones)

Fighting (The Reptile)
Grass (the someone/Ghoul King)

Psychic (The Reptile)
Fairy (MegaGallade)
Flying (Ghoul King)

Same type as Smeargle (The Reptile)
Psychic (the someone/Ghoul King)

Dark (The Reptile/the someone)
Poison (Ghoul King)
Grass (MegaGallade)

Due to lack of submissions, this move's type has been decided by default.
Psychic (The Reptile/Ghoul King)

Note: Due to a request, Noctowl now gets Psyshock instead of Light Screen.

To keep the thread alive, here are a few discussion points from the previous week's changes and more:
  • Which entries for this week do you agree/disagree with? [Remember: Be to the point and decisive, no hate]
  • Do you think any of last week's retyped Pokemon will get more usage because of these retypes?
  • What new sets can be made using last week's retypes?
  • Which/Do Pokemon gain/lose an advantage from Ice type Present, Fighting type Smelling Salts and Psychic type Secret Power?
  • Are there any unanswered questions you want to know specifically about this Pet Mod? If so, please tag me when asking the question and I will reply.
Once again, thanks for submitting, and get voting!

Which entries for this week do you agree/disagree with? [Remember: Be to the point and decisive, no hate]
Mostly Flying type Egg Bomb annoys me, because it completely ignores the fact that exactly zero Flying types get Egg Bomb.

Do you think any of last week's retyped Pokemon will get more usage because of these retypes?
Furret is what Dedenne should've been in the first place, and is liable to see a lot more use -Fairy/Electric is a cute combination that actually works well together, since Electric covers up Fairy's Steel weakness, presenting a Pokemon only weak to Ground and Poison. It also retains STAB on Quick Attack, only Quick Attack itself is a much more useful type, though that's a relatively minor point since a number of Standard Electric types get Quick Attack and have overall better stats. Even so, it's a nice type combination.

Noctowl is competing with Xatu, Sigilyph, and Swoobat (Not even getting into Lugia), but that's not so bad since it's overall tankier than all of them and only Sigilyph also gets Tinted Lens. It's also the slowest of them, which is relevant now that it's a Trick Room setter, and its access to Hurricane is notable -only Shiftry, Mewtwo, Volcarona, and Vivillon get Calm Mind or Nasty Plot alongside Hurricane in Standard, so Noctowl has a niche as a surprisingly effective Flying setup sweeper, particularly if supported by something like Gravity. (Albeit that takes away the best defensive advantage of being a Flying type)

Unfezant is now competing with Honchkrow, Mandibuzz, and strictly speaking Yveltal. Ignoring Yveltal, it's the fastest of the three, and its Attack is only slightly lower than Honchkrow's, albeit it's also the most overall fragile of the three. (It has better Physical bulk than Honchkrow, but worse Special bulk due to less Special Defense and HP, while Mandibuzz beats it out handily on both ends) It might prove to not really have a niche -93 Speed is not actually that fast- but it at least has escaped "Hi I'm the latest crappy clone of existing Pokemon", including that no re-typed Pokemon has been re-typed to Dark/Flying before it, so it's not obviously inferior to anything. (Except Yveltal) It's just too bad its Abilities are nothing special -Super Luck is OK, Rivalry is unreliable, while Big Pecks is pretty useless to such an offensively weighted Pokemon.

Lopunny has lost perfect coverage as a Mega (It's STABs are both bad against Poison types), but hasn't lost any power (Return is Fairy) and now its primary STAB is actually effective against stuff, so that's pretty sweet overall. It's not a downgrade, but it's not an upgrade -regular Lopunny meanwhile is a little bit more appealing as a Klutz Tricker, since it has a more useful typing, full stop. I don't know if it'll see more use, I don't know if it'll see less use. I'm fine with that.

Which/Do Pokemon gain/lose an advantage from Ice type Present, Fighting type Smelling Salts and Psychic type Secret Power?
Present now offers powerful Physical STAB for Delibird, but nobody cares. More interestingly, it provides Physical BoltBeam to Light Ball Pikachu/Raichu, gives Azumarill a Physical Ice move, and grants several other Fairies powerful (But unreliable) Physical Ice coverage. It's still Present, so it's still unreliable and unappealing overall, but Physical Ice is so bad all around that it may see use as one of the better Physical Ice moves.

Smelling Salts is kind of hard to say, since it's a bit gimmicky in the first place, but it at least is a good type now. Granbull and Aggron do both get Thunder Wave with it, so that's something I guess?

Secret Power provides Physical Psychic coverage to an enormous list of Pokemon. Seriously, go to Showdown and type "/ds Secret Power, !Zen Headbutt, !Psycho Cut" (Minus the " at each end) and glory in having a list longer than the screen is tall jam itself in. Not that Psychic is that great a type, but there are almost certainly a number of Pokemon that appreciate it regardless.

This may have been covered and I didn't see it, but where will we be able to play this mod after the project is completed?
I am currently seeing if anyone is willing to help code.
If I don't find anyone, once the project is completed, I will code it myself and ask PS server owners if they would implement the code.

EDIT: The reason for this is because I self-taught myself javascript a few years ago but I've forgotten most of the rules. I can code the mod, but I may make a few mistakes which will thus take longer when I code it.
Also, I cannot create a server myself as I cannot install required software unforthnately.
I haven't started coding at all, but I will when the project is completely completed, or at least, all moves and Pokemon have been retyped. After all moves and Pokemon have been retyped we will give the retyped moves to other Pokemon.

Last edited:
Hell, I could probably code it. Type changes and movepool changes are pretty easy. (Only thing I'm unclear on myself is for stuff like adding Dazzling Gleam to Eevee: would I need to manually add it to the evolved forms movepools, or would it automatically know that the lower stage can learn it? I don't actually know that myself) Not that I'm good at coding, but whatever.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This has already been coded by NotACoolName I think, he just didn't announce it. Or he's still working on finishing it, but it's in his repo. I thought about hosting it, but I didn't want to keep updating at every new week.

This has already been coded by NotACoolName I think, he just didn't announce it. Or he's still working on finishing it, but it's in his repo. I thought about hosting it, but I didn't want to keep updating at every new week.
Really? No one told me about this! Thanks for telling me, I have to thank him!
Also, thanks for debating about hosting this project. We haven't got much Pokemon or Moves left, so it will be done hopefully soon.
Thank you once again.
Hell, I could probably code it. Type changes and movepool changes are pretty easy. (Only thing I'm unclear on myself is for stuff like adding Dazzling Gleam to Eevee: would I need to manually add it to the evolved forms movepools, or would it automatically know that the lower stage can learn it? I don't actually know that myself) Not that I'm good at coding, but whatever.
Thank you for the offer. :)

I have another question, which might also have been covered but I'm not sure about. Are we going to assign some of the retyped moves to mons that are just keeping their types? For example, now that Work Up is Fairy, are we going to give it to Pokemon like Slurpuff, a Fairy type Pokemon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)