Hobbies About the Furry Fandom.

I dunno, hardcore cosplayers from other fandoms spend a ton on stuff too. Look at how pricey things like lolita dresses get for an extreme example. But I agree that cosplay isn't as much of a "part" of other fandoms as it is for furry. And lol $1000 try more like £3-4000

Maybe eventually but I literally just finished my fursuit like 3 weeks ago and JMoF is in january
That makes sense, though it costed me around 200$ just for materials to make my partial fursuit, and another 200 for a custom outfit, so fursuiting is expensive. I’ve never seen Lolita dresses get that expensive so that’s new to me.

I do recommend JMoF, a super nice con! You would need to know a bit of Japanese though, I took a few classes which helped alot.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
That makes sense, though it costed me around 200$ just for materials to make my partial fursuit, and another 200 for a custom outfit, so fursuiting is expensive. I’ve never seen Lolita dresses get that expensive so that’s new to me.
I don't follow lolita at all so maybe what I heard was just a meme or something.

I made a table of how much it cost for me to put together my suit.

I do recommend JMoF, a super nice con! You would need to know a bit of Japanese though, I took a few classes which helped alot.
You've been? I only know tourist level japanese, like thank you and excuse me and stuff like that. I wouldn't go by myself though, most of the fun from cons is from doing stuff with friends, and the friends I would go to jmof with do know more japanese.

I don't follow lolita at all so maybe what I heard was just a meme or something.

I made a table of how much it cost for me to put together my suit.

You've been? I only know tourist level japanese, like thank you and excuse me and stuff like that. I wouldn't go by myself though, most of the fun from cons is from doing stuff with friends, and the friends I would go to jmof with do know more japanese.
I have been, as I’m very active in the fanbase and go to lots of cons with my family as they love furries. cons are always better with friends. I go to cons out of my country less often though because travel can be expensive.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I have been, as I’m very active in the fanbase and go to lots of cons with my family as they love furries. cons are always better with friends. I go to cons out of my country less often though because travel can be expensive.
Will you be going to MFF? I'm considering it because I've already got like 6 internet friends who will be going there.

Will you be going to MFF? I'm considering it because I've already got like 6 internet friends who will be going there.
I don’t think so, Falkneraptor will be at Anthro Northwest as that’s a con I go to every year. I don’t plan on going to any cons until my new fursuit is finished as I sold my practice fursuits for material costs.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Are Bronies quite common in the Furry Fandom?

Lolita dresses from top brands tend to be around $150~$500. (Brands such as Baby The Stars Shine Bright, and Angelic Pretty)
I've never heard of Lolita dresses that cost near $1000, at least from Japanese brands.
And I personally won't take non-Japanese brands seriously.
(My Lolita dresses aren't from Japan though. I go to a tailor and have them custom made for me. But the point is, non-Japanese Lolita have next to no market value.)

Also, Lolita is not cosplay, strictly speaking. Unless the anime character is a Lolita herself, otherwise, Lolita is not cosplay.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Are Bronies quite common in the Furry Fandom?
They do exist, but they tend to keep to themselves.

Lolita dresses from top brands tend to be around $150~$500. (Brands such as Baby The Stars Shine Bright, and Angelic Pretty)
I've never heard of Lolita dresses that cost near $1000, at least from Japanese brands.
And I personally won't take non-Japanese brands seriously.
(My Lolita dresses aren't from Japan though. I go to a tailor and have them custom made for me. But the point is, non-Japanese Lolita have next to no market value.)
Ok, I'm not sure where I heard of $1000 lolita dresses then.

^
What they said

But here is my suit so far, I got a custom made base, needs fur(feathers), the beak, teeth and hair still. Also need to line the eyes and mouth. Getting the base in the mail soon so I should be finished before my con.

03F7B103-29A0-4E74-AD30-BB03B66BE724.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you think I have furry inside of me when I really want more books, video games, and movies to star nonhuman and nonhumanoid animals? I know I've experienced this frustration of not finding such media all the time, and I know back in high school, I was one of the very few people who wrote stories from the point of view from another animal (a crow, a duckling).

Do Furries love Pokemon, particularly the Mystery Dungeon games?

Do you think I have furry inside of me when I really want more books, video games, and movies to star nonhuman and nonhumanoid animals? I know I've experienced this frustration of not finding such media all the time, and I know back in high school, I was one of the very few people who wrote stories from the point of view from another animal (a crow, a duckling).

Do Furries love Pokemon, particularly the Mystery Dungeon games?
No, you aren’t a furry unless you say you are, as lots of people enjoy anthro characters, they are fun and colorful!

Alot of furries do love Pokémon, it’s very popular in the fandom actually. Usually I see them enjoying the main series games and mystery dungeon as much as any other Pokémon fan. Some even make their own “Pokesonas”

I was introduced to furries through Pokémon, I was influenced alot. I just started out as a fan of Pokémon and dinosaurs and look at me now haha

Last edited:

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was introduced to furries through Pokémon, I was influenced alot. I just started out as a fan of Pokémon and dinosaurs and look at me now haha
I think what got me into the fandom (slow but eventually) were StarFox games, mainly because I have always liked Foxes, which led me to find pretty cool artwork, one thing leading to another.

P.D: Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky ftw

I think what got me into the fandom (slow but eventually) were StarFox games, mainly because I have always liked Foxes, which led me to find pretty cool artwork, one thing leading to another.

P.D: Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky ftw
I love starfox aswell, Falco was always my favorite.

Though what really drew me into the fandom was the amount of creativity, the idea of having your own character online to roleplay as sounded like alot of fun. You can be any animal you want, even a Pokémon and roleplay as them. I love when people RP to pet me, feed me chicken and treat me like a little raptor. It makes me really happy and honestly helps with alot of stress in my life, pretending to be a cute dinosaur online.

If any furries read this I’m just curious what led you to choose your fursona or main OC, if not a furry what about your non animal character?

Last edited:
Been to a furry convention, I like furries, they are good people, unfortunately I was never able to melt my brain to relate to an animal, the closest I get is very 'wild' elves with animal features (horns, tails) and ears that react to emotion.

Tho are elves Deer Nekos :P

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Been to a furry convention, I like furries, they are good people, unfortunately I was never able to melt my brain to relate to an animal, the closest I get is very 'wild' elves with animal features (horns, tails) and ears that react to emotion.

Tho are elves Deer Nekos :P
you don't need to "relate" to being an animal

you don't need to "relate" to being an animal
From every experience I had had with this and seeing how furries work, you kinda do, you cannot encourage someone to be a furry and push them along, whatever fursona they have kind of "comes" to them in a weird creative / spiritual / artistic way, if you don't have that to an animal, then it doesn't work; the best I have ever had with that was to elves.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The core concept of a furry is someone who is an enthusiast of animals with anthropomorphic (aka human-like) characteristics, "relating" to an animal is not always the case nor necessary, though most furries just so happen to relate to an animal they like a lot.

I think I am choosing my words wrong, I don't mean in the sense of "my favorite animal is a giraffe therefore I can be a giraffe-fur" but more that you need to have a connection on some emotional level or else it don't work.

Idk, I had a lot of furs try to work with me to make a fursona, and it don't feel right, you gotta have to right feels about it.

I think I am choosing my words wrong, I don't mean in the sense of "my favorite animal is a giraffe therefore I can be a giraffe-fur" but more that you need to have a connection on some emotional level or else it don't work.

Idk, I had a lot of furs try to work with me to make a fursona, and it don't feel right, you gotta have to right feels about it.
I can see what you mean, as alot of people connect to their fursonas, not as if they are spiritually their fursona, as if it was something they were really fond of both design wise or character wise. Connecting with a character usually just comes naturally, you create a design you like and you find yourself getting lots of art of that character, roleplaying a lot, etc.... More than your other characters. I didn’t mean for my weird dinosaur to be my “fursona” but it just happened overtime.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
From every experience I had had with this and seeing how furries work, you kinda do, you cannot encourage someone to be a furry and push them along, whatever fursona they have kind of "comes" to them in a weird creative / spiritual / artistic way, if you don't have that to an animal, then it doesn't work; the best I have ever had with that was to elves.
I mean if you want to phrase it like that, sure, but from my experience fursonas are basically just a combination of aesthetics that someone likes. It's not very different from picking out a forum avatar or customising a character in a video game for example, just with a lot more freedom. It's the same way with my OCs, I just pick a bunch of existing characters I like, pick and choose parts that I like about them and mix them together and add some more stuff I like the look of. My fursuit character started off as a goodra recolor lol

Sure, some people have this whole emotional spiritual thing going on with their fursona but it's definitely not a requirement. For many people it's just as simple as "I think wolves are cool and my favourite colors are blue and green so I'll make a blue and green wolf". Hell, there's even a whole market for people to buy and sell fursona designs.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Obligatory not a furry here.

Furry fandom has always been an interesting point of...observation to me I guess. I'm generally pretty open about most minorites (LGBT+ and the such) as long as you aren't saying you have 14 genders, men are the spawn of satan, and you identify as an Attack Helicopter or something of the like. Turned out good in a lot of cases. Knew a lot of lesbian girls in theater, was friends with a hermaphrodite in HS, and was acquainted with a transwomen in my time at Pizza Hut. All really cool about it.

Furries tho kind of have always rubbed me wrong I guess, but I think I know why. I think a lot of it has to do specifically with how internet subculture and meme culture has interpreted the common furry: actually thinking they are animals and with majorly sexual interests and a straight furry fetish. All the uwu , OwO, and nuzzles you stuff has practically become a meme at this point to most of us normies, and has greatly effected our view of the furry. Of course, my view was also affected by a particulary distasteful reply to a random comment I had made.

Just my thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)