Approved Add ??? type Arceus to showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear developers of showdown

I was going around in showdown and I realized that the ??? type Arceus is missing. So, yes I know ??? type Arceus was removed in gen 5 so it had a life of 1 gen but I believe that is should be kept for the reason that it could still be used in custom battles and also it would be neat if it was acknowledged a bit more. You guys even have the pokéstar studios pokemon and missingno.

Thomas9790

??? arceus would have the battle properties of normal arceus without a ??? plate, even if it shows as ???
this is corrected visually in gen 7 cg, but not in gen 4 cg
the ??? plate doesn't exist in any games and the ??? type means that there is no type for the pokemon to have

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
the ??? plate doesn't exist in any games and the ??? type means that there is no type for the pokemon to have
I mean, magikarp's revenge and cap mons don't exist in the games either
I see just one little problem. If it's custom battle, Arceus ???-type + Wonder Guard will be impossible to beat (unless moongeist beam or ability who nullify Arceus ability). But yeah, let's try it.
Similar things can be said about Wonder Guard fire types with burn up.

Nonetheless though, it'd be a great idea!

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Tmi489 is correct here. This would be purely cosmetic since Gen 4 Arceus behaves similarly to Gen 5+ Arceus; you need Multitype and a Plate to be a type other than Normal. If you mismatch the form and don't have Multitype, you're Normal type but can appear to be another type.

The difference in Gen 4 is that if you mismatch the form and do have Multitype, Arceus changes form every time it switches in to match its held Plate (or Normal if it doesn't have one). You don't even need to badly hack an Arceus to see this for yourself since Ditto Transforming into Arceus behaves identically; first it copies the Arceus cosmetically, then immediately changes to the form matching Ditto's Plate if it has one, otherwise Normal.

tl;dr: On PS, ???-type Arceus would just be a neat little easter egg with no battle implications. It will never actually take damage as a typeless Pokemon.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
A ???-type Arceus wouldn't be able to be hit on the first turn, though.
That problem can easily be fixed with a focus sash... Unless we are talking about rock blast and water shuriken anyways, but like with moongeist beam, they are very specific moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
A ???-type Arceus wouldn't be able to be hit on the first turn, though.
either you can't hit wondertomb turn 1 unless you bring fairy/mold moves back into gen 4 (or use the fire fang glitch, or mold breaker)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Please bring the arceus ??? to Pokémon Showdown. I believe it is not a complex implementation, like, even Eternatus-Eternamax is now available in custom game, in addition to Pokestar Spirit as well, Paleo Wave, Shadow Strike, MissingNo., etc. And Dorron is right. Custom game now has access to neutralizing gas. Look what happened to pure hackmons with the arrival of Eternamax and Ngas. Wonder Guard had never lost as much strength as it did with the arrival of Neutralizing Gas. Custom Game is on a larger scale, since it allows you to go further. Honestly, in a scenario where there is neutralizing gas everywhere, Eternamax can be just as threatening as Arceus ??? if not more threatening.

This is one of the (one of) threads with the most views with the status of "pending".

I make an appeal, please add the "arceus ???" !

Last edited:

Deleted User 594026

Banned deucer.
I agree with you - I think that Arceus-??? should be added to Showdown as it is as part of the gen4 game files. And I'm sure more people agree with us.

Even Missing No (a hack Pokémon with a hack type) was added, and now, with Legends: Arceus, Hisui pokemon, that you can't use out of costume battles, where added. Pokestar Pokémon, and Eternatus Eternamax, that can't be obtained legitimaly and, when obtained via hacking, is not even dynamaxed, were introduced too.

I was amazed to confirm there was no Typeless Arceus sprite in Showdown's files. Arceus-??? should definitely be added. He's as legit, if not more legit, than Pokestar Pokémon or Missing No. And definitely doesn't break Costume Battles more than Eternamax Eternatus or other hidden gems.

Trainers have been waiting at least since 2019 for this change. Please don't leave this topic abandoned for more time.

Last edited:
This would be another tool to help with Eteramax in Pure Hackmons, among other things. Here's a possible set with which it could use:
Arceus-??? @ Mental Herb
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Magic Powder
- Parting Shot / U-Turn
- Dark Pulse

Sidenote: I don't know how Arceus types work with Hackmon formats, so this may totally be a bust.

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This would be another tool to help with Eteramax in Pure Hackmons, among other things. Here's a possible set with which it could use:
Arceus-??? @ Mental Herb
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Magic Powder
- Parting Shot / U-Turn
- Dark Pulse

Sidenote: I don't know how Arceus types work with Hackmon formats, so this may totally be a bust.
Since hackmons only allows for things able to be hacked into gen 8, this wouldn't be allowed.

Deleted User 594026

Banned deucer.
Its not really odd, the idea is hackmons is based on hacking SWSH. If a pokemon doesn't exist in SWSH's data you can't really use it in battle.
As I said before, this shouldn't be a discussion of whether it would be usable in Hackmons or not, as it would always be usable in Costume Battles.
This is about introducing it in the PS! Pokémon data, where it should be. And that introduction is not dependent of where you can use it or not.

Last edited:

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
As I said before, this shouldn't be a discussion of whether it would be usable in Hackmons or not, as it would always be usable in Costume Battles. This is about introducing the typeless form in the PS Pokémon data, where it should be. And that introduction is not dependent of where you can use it or not.
Why not? Might as well see where it can be implemented and correct a user's mistake. No reason not to bring it up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)