Pokémon Aegislash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without Shadow Ball, Aegislash loses a ton of its potential as it loses its most spammable STAB move, which compromises a its ability to break walls so well. It can (and often should) use Sacred Sword as well to hit its best check, Bisharp, on the switch, so you don't really miss out on anything by using Shadow Ball either.

Also, a few other things: Life Orb is a pretty bad item on Aegi since its fantastic natural bulk is a lot of what makes to so great. Also, your set has waaaay too many EVs. Finally, Aegislash is in no way checked by Chansey since Chansey cannot damage it back.
So it wants both Shadow Ball and Sacred Sword?
Is it better to dump King's Shield for an offensive set though and swap it in and out often?

I noticed the the 252 SpD should have been 4.
And I meant without Sacred Sword Aegislash can't do much to Chasney/Blissey and they're kind of at a stand-off doing nothing (without Toxic on Aegislash).

Flash Cannon is mainly for Chesnaught and Mandibuzz, not for Fairies, which are still going to take a shitton of damage.

So it wants both Shadow Ball and Sacred Sword?
Is it better to dump King's Shield for an offensive set though and swap it in and out often?

I noticed the the 252 SpD should have been 4.
And I meant without Sacred Sword Aegislash can't do much to Chasney/Blissey and they're kind of at a stand-off doing nothing (without Toxic on Aegislash).
King's Shield is pretty necessary on it too since it can't be nearly as good of a tank without it. Also, KS + lefties is amazing as it lets Aegislash stay healthy throughout the match. Definitely drop either Shadow Sneak or Iron Head, as Shadow Sneak is very weak as most fairies can't touch Aegislash anyway and are hit hard enough by Shadow Ball. Also, Chansey can do literally no damage to Aegi, so there's no way it loses to it in the long run. I suppose Blissey can run Flamethrower, but Blissey is beyond awful anyway and shouldn't be used in OU, so that doesn't matter anyway.

King's Shield is pretty necessary on it too since it can't be nearly as good of a tank without it. Also, KS + lefties is amazing as it lets Aegislash stay healthy throughout the match. Definitely drop either Shadow Sneak or Iron Head, as Shadow Sneak is very weak as most fairies can't touch Aegislash anyway and are hit hard enough by Shadow Ball. Also, Chansey can do literally no damage to Aegi, so there's no way it loses to it in the long run. I suppose Blissey can run Flamethrower, but Blissey is beyond awful anyway and shouldn't be used in OU, so that doesn't matter anyway.
Will probably drop Iron Head as yeah, what Fairies are really threatening Aegislash.

Seeing as spamming Shadow Ball is kind of the main goal, do most people dump all EVs into SpAtk, or go a little more mixed with some in Attack as well (other than just 4 leftover)?

With the huge rise in SpDef Hippowdon as a million team builds' answer to Aegislash I've seen Weakness Policy with Quiet <20 Spe IVs regain some of its usefulness. Although generally inferior to LO/SP/Balloon/Lefties, being comfortably able to fell one of your most common checks makes for a solid lure, and some Defense EVs can even be used to take the Earthquake better/still effectively check Azumarill and whatnot. Obviously its use is limited, and it's never ideal to welcome being chunked for 60% as a setup cost, but +2/+2 Aegislash, especially when unprepared for, is still a huge dick to deal with, and Hippowdon is weak enough and common enough for it to work if your team has issues with it

Is Weakness Policy no longer favored on non-autotomize Aegis? I use it all the time on my Mixed Aegis, but some people were talking about how WP is a poor item choice for that set.

The way I see it, WP actually lets Aegis get past more things than LO because you take a hit in shield form, and then OHKO (or clean up with Shadow Sneak afterward). That lets you only have to take one hit. Whereas without WP you might only 2HKO, and given Aegis's low speed, you'll have to take 2 hits, which Aegis might not be able to do. So how is LO the better choice? Just because WP is one use only?

LO Aegislash usually finds itself switching in and out repeatedly to spam neutral Shadow Balls whenever it gets the chance, usually on forced switches. Weakness Policy Aegislash doesn't play the same way because you wouldn't want to switch out at all and lose that +2. It's a good item on Automotize Aegislash because you usually find yourself faster than anything without a scarf (or Deoxys-S, but you can carry shadow sneak if it wants to somehow interrupt your sweep), so you don't have to take hits in Blade Form. Without Automotize, you may find yourself begging for King's Shield... I'll stop here.

I've been wondering, has anyone mentioned Meloetta as a counter? I've used it and when running a bulky spread, its highly effective for a couple of reasons:

- its immune to ghost STAB
- players often forget its secondary Normal typing, foolishly
-fails to outrun Meloetta with priority
-Only 2HKO'd by Iron Head at worst (I suggest a bully attacking spread)
-has Shadow Ball to retaliate
-128 Sp. Atk is no joke

Thoughts?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been wondering, has anyone mentioned Meloetta as a counter? I've used it and when running a bulky spread, its highly effective for a couple of reasons:

- its immune to ghost STAB
- players often forget its secondary Normal typing, foolishly
-fails to outrun Meloetta with priority
-Only 2HKO'd by Iron Head at worst (I suggest a bully attacking spread)
-has Shadow Ball to retaliate
-128 Sp. Atk is no joke

Thoughts?
There isnt much of a reason to run meloetta in ou, especcially if you are only using it to check one poke. Melo will also lose to sub toxic and stance dance sets are becoming more popular

0 SpA Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 102-120 (31.4 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (not sure about spatk investment
0 SpA Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 246-290 (75.9 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Im not sure about ev's and these are not great calcs, but it shows melo will get too weakened down and aegislash can just switch out. Your better just using mandibuzz meloetta isnt rly viable in ou

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There isnt much of a reason to run meloetta in ou, especcially if you are only using it to check one poke. Melo will also lose to sub toxic and stance dance sets are becoming more popular
Isn't Stance Dance the SD / KS / Sacred Sword / Shadow Sneak set that everyone says not to use because of how bad it is?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Isn't Stance Dance the SD / KS / Sacred Sword / Shadow Sneak set that everyone says not to use because of how bad it is?
Yes. It was common during the start of the meta, then when crumbler was made people stopped using. Now it has come back a bit, better players are beginning to use it as an end game sweeper. A lot of people use iron>kings shield.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So would something like Shuckle effectively wall Aegislash lacking flash cannon/iron head? Like infestation+protect stall?
Mandibuzz will counter Aegislash that don't run Head Smash (head Smash is rare outside of band). Bisharp also does this same job if Aegi doesn't run Sacred Sword (like Sub toxic and Pursuit Crumblers). Hippo beats all non Sub toxic sets.

Aside from that, there's really not much.

How about Rocky Helmet on Aegi?
Meh, I can't see it being useful. Aegislash really appreciates the passive recovery of Leftovers, and on the SubToxic set (which is really the only set I can see using Helm) REALLY appreciates Lefties. Honestly, Rocky Helmet isn't really good outside of stuff like Ferro that get the added damage with Iron Barbs and get reliable recovery (Leech Seed).

I'm working on an Aegislash for Battlespot based off the one I use on Showdown

Aegislash
Adamant
Stance Change
252 HP / 116 Att / 140 Spe (the spread I use for both Lv 50 and 100)
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-Iron Head

The 140 Speed to outrun 0 Spe Heatran and hit w/ a SS if it decides to switch in. I want to give the Leftovers to Celebi or Mawile as I feel they need it more. Was wondering if Colbur Berry would be a good replacement? Also does Colbur Berry make Knock Off hit for 97.5 BP or b/c it used it before it made contact 65 BP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)