AFL 2013 (just in case)

Not sure how many of you follow this great sport, but I've started a thread just in case. We're already nearly 7 full rounds in and a number of key points have arisen that I can use to summarise some of the season so far:

Adelaide today showed losing star Taylor Walker may not be so bad, as they've uncovered a new talent named Tom Lynch, who decimated Greater Western Sydney today;

Gary Ablett is running amok yet again for Gold Coast while the young ones find their feet;

The video review system seems like it could reeeeally use some fine-tuning;

The "Three Amigos" seem to be an impressive combo at Carlton, and Judd seems to be taking a back seat popularity-wise, and;

The Demons suck. They really suck. I mean, a 60-point loss to Gold Coast? How does Mark Neeld still have his job as coach of that train-wreck?

So there you have it. Hopefully I find a few other followers of this great Australian sport.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Oh fuck yes, top thread.

Huge Bombers fan here. Watched every game in its entirety except for the loss to Geelong because I had plans. Frustrating loss considering we played all over them for patches.

Carlton will be irrelevant until then can actually get some KPP to take advantage of their midfeld.

Lol Melbourne.

Top 4 this year, assuming no horrific injuries, will be something containing Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon I reckon, with Freo being my smokey. Form can change quickly (hell, just look at what happened last year to my Dons -_-) but thats what I think when I look at the quality of players on the team lists.

Top 4 this year, assuming no horrific injuries, will be something containing Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon I reckon, with Freo being my smokey. Form can change quickly (hell, just look at what happened last year to my Dons -_-) but thats what I think when I look at the quality of players on the team lists.
Hawthorn and Geelong are pretty much a lock for the top 4.

The other 2 teams could be basically any of Sydney, Essendon, Collingwood, and Fremantle -- all fairly strong sides with some clouds over them.

Carlton would be a strong team if they weren't missing half their forward line on a rotating mess of dumb decisions and injuries.

I feel bad for Neeld, he's copping a lot of flack because Melbourne are playing badly, but half their (vaguely) experienced players are injured so they're basically a team of rookies without a good leader -- despite this they're still a good chance to avoid the wooden spoon. Gold Coast are, if nothing else, a clear step above the Bulldogs/Demons/GWS at the bottom of the table in that they're competitive with some of the mid table clubs.

Gold Coast yesterday got the job done, beating the Bulldogs by 32 points 93-61. Astonishingly, they're 4-4, and even if for less than 24 hours, Gold Coast are ahead of teams such as Carlton and Adelaide on the ladder and have a winning streak for the first time ever. What promise the Suns are showing!

Gold Coast yesterday got the job done, beating the Bulldogs by 32 points 93-61. Astonishingly, they're 4-4, and even if for less than 24 hours, Gold Coast are ahead of teams such as Carlton and Adelaide on the ladder and have a winning streak for the first time ever. What promise the Suns are showing!
Yeah, they're a pretty decent team -- that being said, I think they're ahead of Carlton and (to a lesser extent) Adelaide based mostly on fixture strength (that and I'm guessing at the time of your posting having played one more game); they've played against the three weakest sides in the competition (Melbourne, Bulldogs, and GWS).

I actually thought this thread was going to be about the Arena Football League, than I remembered: no one watches it anymore. sigh

I can count the number of AFL games I've seen on one hand, but I will say it's pretty entertaining to watch.

Okay, I think it's safe to assume that should Melbourne put the kind of effort they did vs Fremantle this weekend against the Hawks, Mark Neeld will be just about done.

On the plus side, Carlton draw the Giants this weekend!!

Okay, I think it's safe to assume that should Melbourne put in the kind of effort they did vs Fremantle this weekend against the Hawks, Mark Neeld will be just about done.

On the plus side, Carlton draw the Giants this weekend!!

Gold Coast put up a very good fight with Geelong on the weekend for 3/4 of the game -- who knows what would've happened if they kept their shots on target, kicking accuracy has been the difference maker a lot this season.

St Kilda seem much weaker than their list would indicate this season.

Well, Carlton did a good job beating St Kilda on the weekend -- Henderson as a forward really works for them, wonder why they don't do it more often.

I pretty much breathe AFL. Big Adelaide supporter, our preseason was horrible on and off the field. Such a disappointing year given we were a goal outside the GF last year. Exited this week since it is the Showdown down here, which is all we have to play for for the remainder of the year.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Brisbane sacking voss was a stupid move imo
The talent was all there and we were headed in the right direction it came out of the blue and the fact that they did it before they could confirm paul roos would coach them was just a genuinely terrible move

Despite not supporting the bombers, i dont think they should have their points stripped this season. I think some senior figures getting banned for a while + a hefty fine + no picks in this years draft would be the appropriate punishment given how little evidence there is, the most severe likely punishment would be no premiership points next year given how the bombers would be a real genuine contender for the flag next year

hird banned + 2 mil fine + draft picks taken + premiership points gone gdi thats a really hefty punishment lol
Not a fan of the draft pick move (though I don't think it will hurt Essendon as much as it hurt Carlton in the early 2000s, they have quite a young list that should really develop well over the next few years), the rest is completely fine in my mind.

Essendon weren't shaping up to be competitive in the finals anyway, so I don't think the points loss is all that bad.

their points weren't even taken away, they were just dropped to 9th. this isn't really a harsh punishment, essendon are a big club so the 2 mil fine, while nasty, isn't as big a deal as it would be for most other clubs and i'd bet that bomber thompson will go on to coach them next season so it's not like they'll struggle to find a coach now that hird's gone. having said that, we still do have to see what ASADA come up with as they can still be punished further.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Freo - Hawthorn

Freo wants this premiership a lot more than hawthorne does IMO, it should be a good one to watch. To think if this was being played at subi freo would be favourites for sure and would more than likely win cleanly and comfortably :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)