[AG] Ground Arceus

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
QC: Gunner Rohan / Joshz / Trickster
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

Ground Arceus is a very good Pokemon in Anything Goes, as its ability to set up and sweep using either attacking stat makes it unpredictable. While other Arceus formes are used more often in support roles, Ground Arceus is the most effective Arceus forme to use against the ever-present Primal Groudon, giving it a niche in a support role as well, further adding to its viability. Unfortunately, it loses to most of the common Water-types, such as Kyogre, Primal Kyogre, and Water Arceus. It also loses to some common walls, such as Skarmory and Ho-Oh, once it reveals whether if it is a physical attacker or special attacker. However, its resistance to Stealth Rock makes it an effective Defog user, and it functions as a decent Klefki check due to its immunity to Thunder Wave, giving it a firm niche in Anything Goes.

[SET]
name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Extreme Speed
item: Earth Plate
ability: Multitype
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Ground Arceus's Attack to monstrous levels. Earthquake is mandatory as a very strong STAB move that is boosted further by Earth Plate. Stone Edge completes the classic EdgeQuake coverage and hits Flying-types such as Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Yveltal, which Earthquake fails to hit. Extreme Speed nabs KOs on weakened Pokemon and hits Xerneas and Choice Scarf Kyogre before they can KO Ground Arceus. Recover is an option that allows Ground Arceus to check Primal Groudon more easily and set up on a wider range of attacks.

Set Details
========

Ground Arceus runs a very simple EV spread with maximum Attack investment for grabbing more KOs and maximum Speed investment to outspeed as much as possible. A Jolly nature is used to Speed tie with opposing Arceus formes and outspeed Mega Rayquaza and Mega Diancie. Adamant is another option that gives it a notable power increase, including almost guaranteeing the OHKO on physically defensive Yveltal after Stealth Rock damage with a Swords Dance boost, but generally the Speed tier that a Jolly nature lets Ground Arceus hit is much more preferred.

Usage Tips
========

Ground Arceus can be used to set up and break down threats for teammates to clean up later; alternatively, it can be used as a late-game cleaner once its checks and counters have been removed. An effective way to use it is to play mind games with your opponent by bluffing the special or support set and then revealing the physical set and hopefully nabbing a KO or two. Good targets to set up on include Primal Groudon, Aegislash, Poison Arceus, and Steel Arceus; just watch out for burns from Lava Plume or Will-O-Wisp. Ground Arceus can be brought in to revenge kill weakened foes with Extreme Speed before attempting to actually sweep. It should be run on offensive teams that can wear down or defeat its checks and counters.

Team Options
========

Xerneas and Ground Arceus form a fantastic duo with amazing offensive synergy, each demolishing the other's checks. Ground Arceus can eliminate Steel Arceus, Poison Arceus, Primal Groudon, Aegislash, and Ho-Oh, while Xerneas can defeat Skarmory, Yveltal, and Giratina. Xerneas does need Ingrain and Aromatherapy to effectively handle Skarmory, though. Fairy Arceus can easily dispatch annoying Pokemon such as Yveltal and Giratina and appreciates Ground Arceus eliminating Steel-types. Zekrom handles Lugia, Yveltal, Skarmory, and both formes of Kyogre for Ground Arceus. Mega Diancie stops Darkrai from putting Ground Arceus to sleep and can defeat Skarmory with Hidden Power Fire. Good checks to Kyogre such as Palkia and Primal Groudon are necessary on teams with Ground Arceus. Mega Gengar can trap and eliminate Skarmory and Darkrai if it has Focus Blast.

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Judgment
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Recover
nature: Timid
evs: 72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind boosts Ground Arceus's Special Attack and Special Defense in order to attempt a sweep. Judgment is generally Ground Arceus's go-to attacking move. Ice Beam is for Flying-type Pokemon such as Yveltal, Mega Rayquaza, and Lugia, which are immune to Judgment, as well as hitting Levitate users such as Giratina-O and Gengar. Recover is used to allow Ground Arceus to heal off damage accrued during setup and check Primal Groudon and Klefki better.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature is used to Speed tie with opposing Arceus formes and outspeed Mega Rayquaza. 180 Special Attack EVs are used to OHKO Mega Rayquaza with Ice Beam at +1 Special Attack after Stealth Rock damage. 4 Special Defense EVs give Download Genesect an Attack boost instead of an Special Attack boost, forcing it to do less with Ice Beam, the move it usually carries to hit Ground-types for super effective damage. 72 HP EVs give Ground Arceus a bit of bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Ground Arceus should generally be brought in to sweep late-game, after its checks, such as Ho-Oh, Darkrai, and Lugia, have been weakened or eliminated. That being said, it can also be brought in mid-game if you need it to check or remove certain Pokemon, such as Klefki and Primal Groudon; however, make sure it is at reasonable health when you switch it out to keep it healthy for later in the match. It will almost always force out Primal Groudon, so that is an excellent opportunity to set up, and it can also set up on weaker attackers without super effective moves such as Mega Diancie.

Team Options
========

Rock Arceus is a good teammate, as Ho-Oh troubles this set. Bulky Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Water Arceus make for good teammates as well, checking Ho-Oh and weakening or crippling Ground Arceus's other checks with status. Primal Groudon is a nifty partner, as it can check both Primal Kyogre and Xerneas individually, two threats to Ground Arceus. Mega Diancie prevents Darkrai from halting Ground Arceus's sweep while also outspeeding and KOing Ho-Oh.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Recover
move 3: Ice Beam / Defog
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Stealth Rock
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Judgment allows Ground Arceus to defeat Primal Groudon, as well as Steel-types and Poison-types, while also making it not Taunt bait. Recover gives Ground Arceus more longevity and allows it to more effectively check Klefki and Primal Groudon. Ground Arceus is an excellent Defog user due to its resistance to Stealth Rock and ability to take on most Stealth Rock users; however, if a Defog user is found elsewhere on the team, the move can be replaced with Ice Beam or Will-O-Wisp. Ice Beam is a more reliable way of handling Mega Rayquaza than Will-O-Wisp due to Lum Berry being a very common item on it, while Will-O-Wisp allows Ground Arceus to burn Pokemon such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ghost Arceus, and Normal Arceus, making it a nuisance and crippling most Stealth Rock users. It can also be an effective Stealth Rock setter itself due to its ability to force switches against some top Pokemon in Anything Goes.

Set Details
========

The Speed EVs allow Ground Arceus to outspeed fully invested neutral-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon such as Primal Groudon. Running 252 HP EVs and 240 Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximizes Ground Arceus's physical bulk to better take on Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and opposing Arceus formes. 124 Speed EVs can be used to outspeed all Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre; however, any more investment severely compromises Ground Arceus's bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Ground Arceus can be brought in whenever it can safely wall something and remove entry hazards. Bring it in every time on Primal Groudon and most times on Klefki if you lack a separate check to it. An excellent way to use this set is to bring it in on a physical attacker, burn it, and then switch out to a teammate that can set up and sweep. Ground Arceus makes for a great lead due to its ability to cripple opposing leads with Will-O-Wisp or set up Stealth Rock for your team.

Team Options
========

Rock Arceus and Water-types such as Kyogre, Palkia, and Water Arceus make for good teammates, as they can handle Ho-Oh and other Flying-types that Ground Arceus may have trouble with. Defensive Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Lugia appreciate Ground Arceus's entry hazard removal, as Stealth Rock cripples all three to the point where they may be unable to check the Pokemon they must. Sweepers such as Xerneas and Normal Arceus appreciate the free switches and setup opportunities Ground Arceus provides, as well as their checks being crippled or removed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Thunder can be used on a specially attacking set to hit Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and Primal Kyogre for decent damage; however, Ground Arceus needs to have a Calm Mind boost to be able to do decent damage to these Pokemon. Roar can be used to discourage the opponent from setting up and works really well on entry hazard-stacking teams featuring Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scolipede. Perish Song is an option to check setup Pokemon, evasion users, and Baton Pass teams. Refresh makes Ground Arceus less weak to status and allows it to set up on bulky Arceus formes that use Will-O-Wisp or Toxic, such as Fairy Arceus and bulky Normal Arceus. Magic Coat is an option to bounce back status moves used by Pokemon such as Darkrai, Smeargle, and Klefki or entry hazards from the likes of Skarmory, Ferrothorn, opposing Arceus formes, and Primal Groudon. Overheat can be used on the physical set to lure and KO Skarmory.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Choice Scarf Kyogre can easily revenge kill any Ground Arceus set with its rain-boosted Water-type STAB attacks. Primal Kyogre can tank hits from the special set all day long and retaliate with a strong Origin Pulse. It dislikes eating Earthquake from the physical set, though. Water Arceus is bulky enough to withstand any hit and retaliate with a super effective Judgment. Palkia can hit Ground Arceus hard with STAB Hydro Pump; however, it is rare in Anything Goes and takes a lot of damage from Ground Arceus's attacks.

**Bronzong**: Bronzong takes very little damage from anything Ground Arceus does and can set up Stealth Rock and Toxic it in return.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types bulky enough to take Ground Arceus's coverage moves can be difficult to handle. If Multiscale is intact, Lugia can come in and phaze Ground Arceus easily. It does take a large chunk of damage from +2 Stone Edge and +2 Ice Beam, however, but it still survives and can switch in as Ground Arceus boosts. Skarmory hard walls the physical set, not being 2HKOed by +2 Stone Edge and being able to phaze it.

**Ho-Oh**: Ho-Oh gets a special mention, as it hard walls both the special Ground Arceus set and the support set. Its massive special bulk allows it to tank any hit from either set and either phaze it or attempt to get a burn with Sacred Fire. It must watch out for Stone Edge, however, so often the Ho-Oh user will switch it out of Ground Arceus until its set is revealed.

**Xerneas**: Xerneas can set up on the support set and beats the Calm Mind set in a one-on-one situation due to the combination of Geomancy and Power Herb boosting Xerneas faster than Calm Mind boosts Ground Arceus.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai can outspeed Ground Arceus, put it to sleep with Dark Void, and set up a Substitute or attempt to KO it with Dark Pulse.

**Status Users**: Toxic wears all Ground Arceus sets down very quickly and prevents it from doing too much damage. Burn damage is slightly more manageable for the special sweeper and support sets, but it is still annoying to play around, and it cripples the physical sweeper set.

**Giratina**: Giratina is bulky enough to tank any hit from Ground Arceus, even if it has a boost already, and proceed to burn the physical attacking set with Will-O-Wisp or phaze the special attacking set with Roar. It can also use Rest to get rid of all status or damage taken from any set.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey InfernapeTropius11, all analyses start off in bullet point format, and are not written up until they've received two stamps. This is an example of a just posted analysis. Also, I'm aware that it's still work in progress (although I'm not sure what makes it not qc ready), but while I'm here I will say that the overview could definitely be a bit longer

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
This was what I posted in the resources thread for an unofficial analysis, so the only reason it's WIP is because I need to go back through and bullet it for QC. I'll try and think of more stuff for the overview as well, as I realize it is a bit brief.

Edit: I also have to fix the formatting

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ
  • Should be used mindgames to set up and bash things for teammates to clean up later
I would say "should use mindgames to set up and bash things so teammates can clean up later"

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Hmm, thought I already changed that part (I remember noticing it last night) but it must've slipped through the cracks, thanks for pointing that out, I'll reword that bit

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please don't mass tag QC ever

Overview
You still have pluses and minuses in, go back to bullets
Tone down how good the defensive set is, it's definitely not the reason to use this and faces a fair amount of competition from other support arceus formes
It does not counter primal groudon. SD is the first and best set, which cant OHKO, gets 2HKOd by offensive precipice blades, and doesnt like switching into lava plume
You don't need to say both ogre and primal ogre, something else like waterceus can go there
This is really short, I'd rather see a bit more out of this

set 1
Slash jolly first, beating megaray and tying w/arc is way too important

set details 1
I wouldnt leave the alternate bulky spread for SD, it might be ok on CM but SD far prefers just going in fast. At best it's OO worthy

team options 1
Gives examples of how xerneas and groundceus bash each other's checks, be more specific
A good thing to put in UT is the kind of team it's run on. These are all offensive partners, say something about how it will be run on more offensive teams where its partners can effectively pressure counters like skarmory
Needs checks to ogre
Mega Gengar traps skarm & darkrai w/fb

Usage tips 2
The two you have are really really obvious and apply to pretty much every offensive mon, this definitely needs more beefing up
Having up SR is really important before you try to do anything because hooh. Definitely stress the hooh issue as it's the main issue with this set being used
something about bluffing physical

team options 2
If something is bad, don't suggest it. AV Palkia is bad. Regular palkia is probably fine tho
Give SR setters bc HOOH
paralysis support from keys is nice bc slower set

c&c
HOOOOOOOH
darkrai

[11/21/15, 11:06:16 AM] Gunner Rohan: well first of all I don't understand the support arceus set whatsoever
[11/21/15, 11:06:19 AM] Gunner Rohan: the evs & nature make no sense
[11/21/15, 11:06:31 AM] Gunner Rohan: the whole essence of a support mon is that it's support to be on the bulky side
[11/21/15, 11:06:44 AM] Gunner Rohan: but for some reason the nature is modest & the speed creep is completely redudant
[11/21/15, 11:06:59 AM] Gunner Rohan: the spa evs don't even ensure a OHKO on groudon

move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Defog
evs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 spe

This ought to be the support set. Please make the necessary edits and I'll look over again

Last edited:

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
Megazard has pretty much stated everything relevant, however, I have some changes which are quite relevant here.

[SET]
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Calm Mind
evs: 160 HP / 96 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Details
========

• 96 SpA ensures an OHKO on Primal-Groundon after Stealth Rock damage & also on Mega-Rayquaza.
  • 252 Spe Timid so that you don't have to take damage from Rayquaza & you can speed tie vs other CM Arc forms.
  • Rest in bulk
  • 252 Spa is redundant and should be avoided as it does not get any kills whatsoever.
Note: Edit the points similar to the way they are now but uses the points above for reference. Excuse poor grammar please thanks.

The CM set should look like this:

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Excellent Defog user due to its resistance to Stealth Rock, as well as the ability to take on most Stealth Rock users, however, if another Defog member is on the team, Defog can be removed and replaced by Ice Beam + Will-o-wisp.
  • Ice Beam for M-Ray because Will-O isn't reliable.
Set Details
========

• 16 Speed outspeeds neutral base 90s
  • The Special Attack EVs guarantee the OHKO on 248 HP / 8 SpD Primal Groudon sets (Set dependent KO's seem redundant)
  • Maximum Evs are invested in HP & Defense in order to combat Rayquaza & Arceus better
  • Bold nature because more bulk
Note: Just my additional points, if I haven't mentioned a point you've used, it's fine and just needs to be edited according to the set.

Checks and Counters
===================

• Water types: Don't mention scarf ogre, only Primal-Ogre & give it more emphasis. Mention Palkia & Waterceus as well, althought, state that they aren't as common in AG.
  • Ho-oh : Turkey needs a special mention because it single-handedly craps on CM & Support Groundceus.
  • Xerneas: Can trouble Support set & beats CM set 1v1.
That's pretty much everything for now, make these changes and I'll approve it. Also please excuse terrible grammar I really typed this in a hurry.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Megazard has pretty much stated everything relevant, however, I have some changes which are quite relevant here.

[SET]
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Calm Mind
evs: 160 HP / 96 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Details
========

• 96 SpA ensures an OHKO on Primal-Groundon after Stealth Rock damage & also on Mega-Rayquaza.
  • 252 Spe Timid so that you don't have to take damage from Rayquaza & you can speed tie vs other CM Arc forms.
  • Rest in bulk
  • 252 Spa is redundant and should be avoided as it does not get any kills whatsoever.
Note: Edit the points similar to the way they are now but uses the points above for reference. Excuse poor grammar please thanks.

The CM set should look like this:
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Excellent Defog user due to its resistance to Stealth Rock, as well as the ability to take on most Stealth Rock users, however, if another Defog member is on the team, Defog can be removed and replaced by Ice Beam + Will-o-wisp.
  • Ice Beam for M-Ray because Will-O isn't reliable.
Set Details
========

• 16 Speed outspeeds neutral base 90s
  • The Special Attack EVs guarantee the OHKO on 248 HP / 8 SpD Primal Groudon sets (Set dependent KO's seem redundant)
  • Maximum Evs are invested in HP & Defense in order to combat Rayquaza & Arceus better
  • Bold nature because more bulk
Note: Just my additional points, if I haven't mentioned a point you've used, it's fine and just needs to be edited according to the set.

Checks and Counters
===================

• Water types: Don't mention scarf ogre, only Primal-Ogre & give it more emphasis. Mention Palkia & Waterceus as well, althought, state that they aren't as common in AG.
  • Ho-oh : Turkey needs a special mention because it single-handedly craps on CM & Support Groundceus.
  • Xerneas: Can trouble Support set & beats CM set 1v1.
That's pretty much everything for now, make these changes and I'll approve it. Also please excuse terrible grammar I really typed this in a hurry.
I don't mind making the changes, but I ran the calcs for the first set, and 96 SpA doesn't appear to do anything?

+1 8 SpA Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Judgment vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Primal Groudon: 354-416 (87.8 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 180 SpA Arceus-Ground Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza in Strong Winds: 264-312 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You need 8 for Primal Groudon and 180 for MegaRay :/

Also, why would I not mention ScarfOgre..? It's relatively common, outspeeds Groundceus, and OHKOs it.

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't mind making the changes, but I ran the calcs for the first set, and 96 SpA doesn't appear to do anything?

+1 8 SpA Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Judgment vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Primal Groudon: 354-416 (87.8 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 180 SpA Arceus-Ground Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza in Strong Winds: 264-312 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You need 8 for Primal Groudon and 180 for MegaRay :/

Also, why would I not mention ScarfOgre..? It's relatively common, outspeeds Groundceus, and OHKOs it.
Oh nevermind, I seem to have derped the calcs. Didn't notice the calculator used Naive nature on Rayquaza, my apologies. Also, P-don takes 6% initial damage from SR when it enters the field, not 12%. It takes 12% after changing to Primal form.

Give me some time & let me discuss and appropriate set with the rest of the QC, for now let it remain the way it is until we come up with a better set. Please do make other changes.

I don't think Scarf Ogre deserves a mention especially with how P-Ogre is pre-eminent over it. Moreover, both of them ensure KO's on Groundceus anyway so mentioning Scarf Ogre seems unnecessary to me.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
For the special sweeper set we have agreed on an ideal EV spread of:
72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Due to a mishap with the calc, the SpA fact was a tad off. Therefore an adjusted spread such as seen here would be appropriate for the set.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Oh nevermind, I seem to have derped the calcs. Didn't notice the calculator used Naive nature on Rayquaza, my apologies. Also, P-don takes 6% initial damage from SR when it enters the field, not 12%. It takes 12% after changing to Primal form.

Give me some time & let me discuss and appropriate set with the rest of the QC, for now let it remain the way it is until we come up with a better set. Please do make other changes.

I don't think Scarf Ogre deserves a mention especially with how P-Ogre is pre-eminent over it. Moreover, both of them ensure KO's on Groundceus anyway so mentioning Scarf Ogre seems unnecessary to me.
Doesn't it change to primal forme immediately, before hazard damage? I don't know for sure but the 180 is definitely enough either way so not really a big deal, more curiosity on my part.

For the special sweeper set we have agreed on an ideal EV spread of:
72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Due to a mishap with the calc, the SpA fact was a tad off. Therefore an adjusted spread such as seen here would be appropriate for the set.
This was what I was gonna put, good to see we're all agreed on it.

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
Doesn't it change to primal forme immediately, before hazard damage? I don't know for sure but the 180 is definitely enough either way so not really a big deal, more curiosity on my part.

This was what I was gonna put, good to see we're all agreed on it.
It enters the field as regular don, takes 6%, then evolves into primal form.

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
CM Groundceus Set Details
========

• 180 SpA EVs are used to OHKO Mega Rayquaza with Ice Beam at +1 Special Attack after stealth rock damage.

Team Options
========

• Assault Vest Palkia is also a nifty teammate, checking and usually defeating or at least weakening both Kyogre and it's Primal forme
AV Palkia is a terrible mon and should honestly never be ran on any team ever. So, replace that line with:

• Primal Groudon is a nifty partner as it can check both Primal Kyogre and Xerneas individually, both of which are threats to Arceus-Ground.
Everything else is fine. Good work on the analysis, implement both the changes and it's a QC 1/3. :toast:

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hi qc time

[OVERVIEW]

• id probably mix the first 2 points, and say something like "can perform a physically attacker role, specially attacking roll, or support role effectively" and maybe add how it can be unpredictable because of that.
  • together, to say something like "able to perform a physically offensive, specially offensive, or support roil effectively" but with a better flow or something. the next point adds into this, but explain why youd use a groundceus for these rolls instead of another arc form.
  • instead of "checks primal gorudon", id say something like "the best arc form against pdon" because it is the best, one of its biggest selling points is how well it performs against pdon
  • give examples. WHAT common water types does it lose to?
]
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• id put recover in other options, personally

Usage Tips
========

• seeing as its sort of a contradiction the way you have it, combine "Should be used to set up and bash things for teammates to clean up later" and "Alternatively, it can be used as a late-game cleaner once it's checks and Counters have been removed" into one point (sentence)
  • id remove the point about double switching, that is something every pokemon can do pretty much and isnt really noteworthy

Team Options
========

• mention that xerneas needs to carry ingrain and aromatherapy to effectively deal with skarm, especially ingrain
  • i wouldnt mention fire types lol, they just compound the water weakness, and ice isnt super common in ag anyways except as occasional coverage
  • remove lugia there, lugia is not a reliable ogre answer, unless getting killed by scarf (not even primal power) water spout after rocks counts as checking, as well as being weak to both thunder AND ice beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• change "as well as hitting Giratina-O hard" to just say levitate mons such as gira-o because it prevents groundceus from getting hard walled by an unmegad gengar
  • also, remove mention of hooh, ice beam does like 15% or something lmao

Usage Tips
========

• add more here, 2 tips that are along the same lines doesnt really cut it

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• id slash in stealth rock with willo, as groundceus can be a solid sr setter

Set Details
========

• metion what different speed intervals can cover

Usage Tips
========
  • id still like to see more here, 3 usage tips is kinda lacking imo

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• remove mention of stealth rock here since it was mentioned
  • roar isnt actually good against baton pass teams, lol. not really. between espeon and ingrain its often just sacking a turn. instead, mention roar can be used to shuffle setup sweepers and dissuade setting up on groundceus. also good for racking up hazard damage
  • mention running stuff like spikes and tspikes support and sr on the set as great options if running roar
  • actually explain why perish song is so good to deal with baton pass teams, and explain you should run enough speed to outpace smeargle (and mention how much is needed) in order to not be spored

when ur done, qc 2/3 and write it up my boy :)

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Implemented and wrote this up, thanks Josh :]
Although minimum speed Arceus hits 276 speed, and maximum Jolly Smeargle only reaches 273, so it doesn't need any investment to not get Spored :p
Ready for the third QC check!

Set Details (for physical sweeper set)
  • Make sure you mention that it needs an SD up first to OHKO Yveltal after rocks because otherwise it does around 40%
Moves (support set)
  • Mention Lum Berry as the reason why Ice Beam is a more effective way of dealing with Megaray than Will-o-Wisp
Other Options
  • I'd also mention Ho-oh being hit by Thunder there since that's the only way a special set can do anything to it and does 50+% after rocks with a CM up meaning it OHKOs (having a CM up is also the only way it does decent damage to P-Kyogre for that matter)
Checks and Counters
  • Giratina-A also counters it since it can burn the physical set or easily tank ice beams from the calm mind set (even if it has a calm mind up) and then phase it out. It also rests off all Will-o-Wisps and damage.
All pretty minor things though since this is looking fine. QC 3/3 (◕‿◕✿)

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
did this kinda quick so apologies for that but you've waited long enough

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Arceus-Ground is a very good Pokemon in Anything Goes, as it is able its ability to set up and sweep using either attacking stat, making makes it unpredictable. While other Arceus formes are used more often in support roles, Arceus-Ground is the most effective Arceus forme to use against the ever-present (add hyphen) Primal Groudon, giving it a niche in a support role as well, further adding to its viability. Unfortunately, it loses to most of the common Water-types, such as Kyogre, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus-Water. It also loses to some common walls, such as Skarmory and Ho-Oh, once it reveals if it is a physical attacker or special attacker. However, its resistance to Stealth Rock makes it an effective Defog user, and it functions as a decent Klefki check due to its typing giving it an immunity to Thunder Wave, giving it a firm niche in Anything Goes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts your Arceus-Ground's attack to monstrous levels. Earthquake is mandatory as a very strong STAB move that is boosted further by Earth Plate. Stone Edge completes the classic EdgeQuake coverage combo and hits Flying-types such as Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Yveltal, (AC) that which Earthquake fails to hit. Extreme Speed nabs kills KOs on weakened Pokemon and hits Xerneas and Choice Scarf Kyogre before they can KO you Arceus-Ground. Recover is an option which that allows you Arceus-Ground to check Primal Groudon more easily and set up on more a wider range of attacks.

Set Details
========

Arceus-Ground runs a very simple EV spread with maximum Attack investment for grabbing more kills KOs and maximum speed investment to outspeed as much as possible. A Jolly nature is used to Speed tie opposing Arceus formes and outspeed Mega Rayquaza and Mega Diancie. Adamant is another option which that gives a notable power increase, including almost guaranteeing the OHKO on physically defensive Yveltal after Stealth Rock damage after with a Swords Dance boost, however but generally the speed tier that a Jolly nature lets you Arceus-Ground hit is much preferred.

Usage Tips
========

Arceus-Ground can be used to set up and bash things break down threats for teammates to clean up later; (SC) or alternatively, it can be used as a late-game cleaner once it's its checks and counters have been removed. An effective way to use it is to play mindgames with your opponent by bluffing the special or support set (RC) and then revealing the physical set and hopefully nabbing a kill KO or two. Good targets to set up on include Primal Groudon, Aegislash, Arceus-Poison, and Arceus-Steel; (SC) just watch out for burns from Lava Plume or Will-O-Wisp. It can be brought in to revenge kill weakened foes with Extreme Speed before attempting to actually sweep. It should be run on offensive teams who that can wear down or defeat its checks and counters.

Team Options
========

Xerneas and Arceus-Ground is form a fantastic duo with amazing offensive synergy, both demolishing the other's checks. Arceus-Ground can eliminate Arceus-Steel, Arceus-Poison, Primal Groudon, Aegislash, and Ho-Oh, while Xerneas can defeat Skarmory, Yveltal, and Giratina. Xerneas does need Ingrain and Aromatherapy to effectively handle Skarmory, (AC) though. Arceus-Fairy can easily dispatch annoying Pokemon such as Yveltal and Giratina (RC) and appreciates Arceus-Ground eliminating Steel-types. Zekrom handles Lugia, Yveltal, Skarmory, and both formes of Kyogre for Arceus-Ground. Mega Diancie stops Darkrai from putting Arceus-Ground to sleep and can defeat Skarmory with Hidden Power Fire. Good checks to Kyogre such as Palkia or and Primal Groudon are necessary on teams with Arceus-Ground. Mega Gengar can trap and eliminate Skarmory and Darkrai if it has Focus Blast.

[SET]
evs: 72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 Spd SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind boosts your Arceus-Ground's Special Attack and Special Defense in order to attempt a sweep. Judgment is a hard-hitting STAB attack, and is generally the Arceus-Ground's go-to attacking move you use the most. Ice Beam is for Flying-type Pokemon such as Yveltal, Mega Rayquaza, and Lugia, (AC) who that are immune to Judgment, as well as hitting Levitate users such as Giratina-O and Gengar. Recover is used to allow you Arceus-Ground to heal off damage done during set up setup and check Primal Groudon and Klefki better.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature is used to tie opposing Arceus formes and outspeed Mega Rayquaza. 180 SpA Special Attack EVs are used to OHKO Mega Rayquaza with Ice Beam at +1 Special Attack after Stealth Rock damage. 4 Special Defense EVs give Download Genesect the Attack boost instead of the Special Attack boost, forcing it to do less with Ice Beam, the move it usually carries to hit Ground-types for super effective damage. 72 HP gives EVs give Arceus-Ground a bit of bulk and an odd HP number to reduce passive damage. (Groundceus takes 1/16th damage from SR and 1/8th from burn, so you're just looking for any number not divisible by 8. Which 399 is, but not because it's an "odd" number, and elaborating on it isn't too helpful bc these are leftover EVs anyway. Hence also me moving the SpD EVs one sentence back because for that number you actually have a specific purpose in mind) 4 SpD EVs gives Download Genesect the Attack boost, instead of the Special Attack boost, forcing it to do less with Ice Beam, the move it usually carries to hit Ground-types for Super Effective damage.

Usage Tips
========

Arceus-Ground should generally be brought in to sweep late-game, (add hyphen) after its checks, such as Ho-Oh, Darkrai, and Lugia, are have been weakened or eliminated. That being said, it can also be brought in mid-game if you need it to check or remove certain Pokemon, such as Klefki and Primal Groudon; (SC) however, (AC) make sure it is at a reasonable HP level health when you switch it out to keep it healthy for later in the match. It will almost always force out Primal Groudon, so that is an excellent opportunity to set up, and it can also set up on weaker attackers without super effective moves such as Mega Diancie.

Team Options
========

Arceus-Rock is a good teammate, (AC) as Ho-Oh troubles this set. Bulky Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Arceus-Water make good teammates as well, checking Ho-Oh and weakening or crippling its Arceus-Ground's other checks with status. Primal Groudon is a nifty partner as it can check both Primal Kyogre and Xerneas individually, two threats to Arceus-Ground. Mega Diancie is a good partner, as it prevents Darkrai from halting Arceus-Ground's sweep while also outspeeding and KOing Ho-Oh.

[SET]
evs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe (just use max HP and 240 Def)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Judgment allows it Arceus-Ground to defeat Primal Groudon, as well as Steel-types and Poison-types, while also making it not Taunt bait. Recover gives Arceus-Ground more longevity (RC) and allows it to more effectively check Klefki and Primal Groudon. Arceus-Ground is an excellent Defog user due to its resistance to Stealth Rock, as well as the and ability to take on most Stealth Rock users; (SC) however, (AC) if a Defog user is found elsewhere on the team, it the move can be removed and replaced with Ice Beam or Will-O-Wisp. Ice Beam is a more reliable way of handling Mega Rayquaza than Will-O-Wisp due to Lum Berry being a very common item on it, while Will-O-Wisp allows it Arceus-Ground to burn Pokemon such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Arceus-Ghost, and Arceus-Normal, making it a nuisance and crippling most Stealth Rock users. It can also be an effective Stealth Rock setter itself (RC) due to forcing its ability to force switches on against some top Pokemon in Anything Goes.

Set Details
========

The Speed EVs allow Arceus-Ground to outspeed fully invested neutral-natured (add hyphen) maximum speed base 90 Speed Pokemon such as Primal Groudon. 248 HP EVs gives an odd HP number to lower damage from passive forms of damage. (odd number =/= less passive damage. Max HP puts Groundceus at 444 HP, which isn't divisible by 8 (for burn) or 16 (for SR), and there's literally no situation in which the reduced HP makes a difference for Groundceus) 244 Def EVs and with a Bold nature maximizes phsyical Arceus-Ground's physical bulk to better take on Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and opposing Arceus formes. 124 Speed EVs can be used to outspeed all Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre; (SC) however, (AC) any more investment severely compromises Arceus-Ground's bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Arceus-Ground can be brought in whenever it can safely wall something and remove entry hazards. Bring it in every time on Primal Groudon every time (RC) and most times on Klefki most times if you lack a separate (dedicated?) check to it. An excellent way to use this Arceus-Ground set is to bring it in on a physical attacker, (AC) and burn it, and then switch out to a teammate who that can set up and sweep. Arceus-Ground makes for a great lead due to being able its ability to cripple opposing leads with Will-O-Wisp or setting set up Stealth Rock for your team.

Team Options
========

Arceus-Rock and Water-types such as Kyogre, Palkia, and Arceus-Water make good teammates, as they can handle Ho-Oh and other Flying-types Arceus-Ground may have trouble with. Defensive Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Lugia appreciate the Arceus-Ground's entry hazard removal, (AC) as Stealth Rock cripples all three to the point where they may be unable to check the Pokemon they must. Sweepers such as Xerneas and Arceus-Normal appreciate the free switches and set up setup opportunities Arceus-Ground provides, as well as the crippling or removing of their checks that Arceus-Ground provides being crippled or removed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Thunder hits can be used on specially attacking set to hit Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and Primal Kyogre for decent damage on special attacking sets; (SC) however, (AC) Arceus-Ground needs to have a Calm Mind boost to be able to do decent damage to these Pokemon. Roar can be used to discourage the opponent from setting up on Arceus-Ground and works really well on hazard stack entry hazard-stacking teams in conjunction with featuring Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scolipede. Perish Song is an option to discourage set up users check setup Pokemon, (still kinda clunky but "check" seems to be the best option that goes with all three categories) evasion users, and Baton Pass teams. Refresh makes it Arceus-Ground less weak to status and allows it to set up on bulky Arceus formes that use Will-O-Wisp or Toxic, such as Arceus-Fairy or and bulky Arceus-Normal. Magic Coat is an option to bounce back status moves used by Pokemon such as Darkrai, Smeargle, and Klefki (RC) or hazards from the likes of Skarmory, Ferrothorn, opposing Arceus formes, and Primal Groudon. Overheat can be used on the physical set to lure and kill KO Skarmory.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Choice Scarf Kyogre can easily revenge kill any Arceus-Ground set with its rain-boosted Water-type STAB attacks. Primal Kyogre can tank hits from the special set all day long (RC) and retaliate with a strong Origin Pulse. It dislikes eating Earthquake from the physical set, (AC) though. Arceus-Water is bulky enough to withstand any hit and retaliate with a super effective Judgment. Palkia can hit it Arceus-Ground hard with STAB Hydro Pump; (SC) however, (AC) it is rare in Anything Goes and takes a lot of damage from Arceus-Ground's attacks.

**Bronzong**: Bronzong takes very little damage from anything Arceus-Ground does (RC) and can set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Arceus-Ground in return.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types (add hyphen) bulky enough to handle take Arceus-Ground's coverage moves can be difficult to handle. If Multiscale is intact, Lugia can come in and Whirlwind phaze Arceus-Ground out easily. It does take a large chunk of damage from +2 Stone Edge and +2 Ice Beam, (AC) however, but it still lives and phazes Arceus-Ground, survives and it can switch in as it Arceus-Ground boosts. Skarmory is able to hard(space)walls the physical set, not being 2HKOed by +2 Stone Edge and phasing being able to phaze Arceus-Ground.

**Ho-Oh**: Ho-Oh gets a special mention, (AC) as it completely hard(space)walls both the special Arceus-Ground set and the support set. Its massive special bulk allows it tank any hit from either set and either Whirlwind it out phaze it or attempt to get a burn with Sacred Fire. It must watch out for Stone Edge, however, so often the opponent will switch it out of Arceus-Ground until you reveal its set.

**Xerneas**: Xerneas can set up on the support set and beats the Calm Mind set in a one-on-one (add hyphens) situation due to the combination of Geomancy and Power Herb boosting Xerneas faster than Calm Mind boosts Arceus-Ground.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai can outspeed Arceus-Ground, (AC) and put it to sleep with Dark Void, before setting and set up a Substitute or attempting to kill KO it with Dark Pulse.

**Status Users**: Toxic wears all three Arceus-Ground sets down very quickly and prevents it from doing too much damage. Burn damage is slightly more manageable for the special sweeper and support sets, but it is still annoying to play around, (AC) and it cripples the physical sweeper set.

**Giratina-A**: Giratina-A is bulky enough to tank any hit from Arceus-Ground, even if it has a boost already, and proceed to burn the physical attacking set with Will-O-Wisp or phaze the special attacking set with Roar. It can also use Rest to get rid of all status or damage taken from any set.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
mfw eleventh analysis checked in nine hour span

all Arceus-x --> x Arceus. uhh i think i managed to catch them all but if you see any left, fix em. also i might've accidentally changed one or two "Arceus-Ground's" to just "Ground Arceus" instead of "Ground Arceus's" so yeah look out for that too when implementing heh
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Ground Arceus is a very good Pokemon in Anything Goes, as its ability to set up and sweep using either attacking stat makes it unpredictable. While other Arceus formes are used more often in support roles, Ground Arceus is the most effective Arceus forme to use against the ever-present Primal Groudon, giving it a niche in a support role as well, further adding to its viability. Unfortunately, it loses to most of the common Water-types, such as Kyogre, Primal Kyogre, and Water Arceus. It also loses to some common walls, such as Skarmory and Ho-Oh, once it reveals whether if it is a physical attacker or special attacker. However, its resistance to Stealth Rock makes it an effective Defog user, and it functions as a decent Klefki check due to its immunity to Thunder Wave, giving it a firm niche in Anything Goes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Ground Arceus's Attack to monstrous levels. Earthquake is mandatory as a very strong STAB move that is boosted further by Earth Plate. Stone Edge completes the classic EdgeQuake coverage and hits Flying-types such as Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Yveltal, which Earthquake fails to hit. Extreme Speed nabs KOs on weakened Pokemon and hits Xerneas and Choice Scarf Kyogre before they can KO Ground Arceus. Recover is an option that allows Ground Arceus to check Primal Groudon more easily and set up on a wider range of attacks.

Set Details
========

Ground Arceus runs a very simple EV spread with maximum Attack investment for grabbing more KOs and maximum Speed investment to outspeed as much as possible. A Jolly nature is used to Speed tie with opposing Arceus formes and outspeed Mega Rayquaza and Mega Diancie. Adamant is another option that gives it a notable power increase, including almost guaranteeing the OHKO on physically defensive Yveltal after Stealth Rock damage with a Swords Dance boost, but generally the Speed tier that a Jolly nature lets Ground Arceus hit is much more preferred.

Usage Tips
========

Ground Arceus can be used to set up and break down threats for teammates to clean up later; alternatively, it can be used as a late-game cleaner once its checks and counters have been removed. An effective way to use it is to play mind games with your opponent by bluffing the special or support set and then revealing the physical set and hopefully nabbing a KO or two. Good targets to set up on include Primal Groudon, Aegislash, Poison Arceus, and Steel Arceus; just watch out for burns from Lava Plume or Will-O-Wisp. Ground Arceus It can be brought in to revenge kill weakened foes with Extreme Speed before attempting to actually sweep. It should be run on offensive teams that can wear down or defeat its checks and counters.

Team Options
========

Xerneas and Ground Arceus form a fantastic duo with amazing offensive synergy, both each demolishing the other's checks. Ground Arceus can eliminate Steel Arceus, Poison Arceus, Primal Groudon, Aegislash, and Ho-Oh, while Xerneas can defeat Skarmory, Yveltal, and Giratina. Xerneas does need Ingrain and Aromatherapy to effectively handle Skarmory, though. Fairy Arceus can easily dispatch annoying Pokemon such as Yveltal and Giratina and appreciates Ground Arceus eliminating Steel-types. Zekrom handles Lugia, Yveltal, Skarmory, and both formes of Kyogre for Ground Arceus. Mega Diancie stops Darkrai from putting Ground Arceus to sleep and can defeat Skarmory with Hidden Power Fire. Good checks to Kyogre such as Palkia and Primal Groudon are necessary on teams with Ground Arceus. Mega Gengar can trap and eliminate Skarmory and Darkrai if it has Focus Blast.

[SET]
evs: 72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind boosts Ground Arceus's Special Attack and Special Defense in order to attempt a sweep. Judgment is generally Ground Arceus's go-to attacking move. Ice Beam is for Flying-type Pokemon such as Yveltal, Mega Rayquaza, and Lugia, that which are immune to Judgment, as well as hitting Levitate users such as Giratina-O and Gengar. Recover is used to allow Ground Arceus to heal off damage accrued done during setup and check Primal Groudon and Klefki better.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature is used to Speed tie with opposing Arceus formes and outspeed Mega Rayquaza. 180 Special Attack EVs are used to OHKO Mega Rayquaza with Ice Beam at +1 Special Attack after Stealth Rock damage. 4 Special Defense EVs give Download Genesect the an Attack boost instead of the an Special Attack boost, forcing it to do less with Ice Beam, the move it usually carries to hit Ground-types for super effective damage. 72 HP EVs give Ground Arceus a bit of bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Ground ARceus should generally be brought in to sweep late-game, after its checks, such as Ho-Oh, Darkrai, and Lugia, have been weakened or eliminated. That being said, it can also be brought in mid-game if you need it to check or remove certain Pokemon, such as Klefki and Primal Groudon; however, make sure it is at reasonable health when you switch it out to keep it healthy for later in the match. It will almost always force out Primal Groudon, so that is an excellent opportunity to set up, and it can also set up on weaker attackers without super effective moves such as Mega Diancie.

Team Options
========

Rock Arceus is a good teammate, as Ho-Oh troubles this set. Bulky Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Water Arceus make for good teammates as well, checking Ho-Oh and weakening or crippling Ground Arceus's other checks with status. Primal Groudon is a nifty partner, (AC) as it can check both Primal Kyogre and Xerneas individually, two threats to Ground Arceus. Mega Diancie prevents Darkrai from halting Ground Arceus's sweep while also outspeeding and KOing Ho-Oh.

[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Judgment allows Ground Arceus to defeat Primal Groudon, as well as Steel-types and Poison-types, while also making it not Taunt bait. Recover gives Ground Arceus more longevity and allows it to more effectively check Klefki and Primal Groudon. Ground Arceus is an excellent Defog user due to its resistance to Stealth Rock and ability to take on most Stealth Rock users; however, if a Defog user is found elsewhere on the team, the move can be replaced with Ice Beam or Will-O-Wisp. Ice Beam is a more reliable way of handling Mega Rayquaza than Will-O-Wisp due to Lum Berry being a very common item on it, while Will-O-Wisp allows Ground Arceus to burn Pokemon such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ghost Arceus, and Normal Arceus, making it a nuisance and crippling most Stealth Rock users. It can also be an effective Stealth Rock setter itself due to its ability to force switches against some top Pokemon in Anything Goes.

Set Details
========

The Speed EVs allow Ground Arceus to outspeed fully invested neutral-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon such as Primal Groudon. Running 252 HP EVs and 240 Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximizes Ground Arceus's physical bulk to better take on Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and opposing Arceus formes. 124 Speed EVs can be used to outspeed all Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre; however, any more investment severely compromises Ground Arceus's bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Ground Arceus can be brought in whenever it can safely wall something and remove entry hazards. Bring it in every time on Primal Groudon and most times on Klefki if you lack a separate check to it. An excellent way to use this Arceus-Ground set is to bring it in on a physical attacker, burn it, and then switch out to a teammate that can set up and sweep. Ground Arceus makes for a great lead due to its ability to cripple opposing leads with Will-O-Wisp or set up Stealth Rock for your team.

Team Options
========

Rock Arceus and Water-types such as Kyogre, Palkia, and Water Arceus make for good teammates, as they can handle Ho-Oh and other Flying-types that Ground Arceus may have trouble with. Defensive Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Lugia appreciate Ground Arceus's entry hazard removal, as Stealth Rock cripples all three to the point where they may be unable to check the Pokemon they must. Sweepers such as Xerneas and Normal Arceus appreciate the free switches and setup opportunities Ground Arceus provides, as well as their checks being crippled or removed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Thunder can be used on a specially attacking set to hit Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and Primal Kyogre for decent damage; however, Ground Arceus needs to have a Calm Mind boost to be able to do decent damage to these Pokemon. Roar can be used to discourage the opponent from setting up and works really well on entry hazard-stacking teams featuring Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scolipede. Perish Song is an option to check setup Pokemon, evasion users, and Baton Pass teams. Refresh makes Ground Arceus less weak to status and allows it to set up on bulky Arceus formes that use Will-O-Wisp or Toxic, such as Fairy Arceus and bulky Normal Arceus. Magic Coat is an option to bounce back status moves used by Pokemon such as Darkrai, Smeargle, and Klefki or entry hazards from the likes of Skarmory, Ferrothorn, opposing Arceus formes, and Primal Groudon. Overheat can be used on the physical set to lure and KO Skarmory.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Choice Scarf Kyogre can easily revenge kill any Ground Arceus set with its rain-boosted Water-type STAB attacks. Primal Kyogre can tank hits from the special set all day long and retaliate with a strong Origin Pulse. It dislikes eating Earthquake from the physical set, though. Water Arceus is bulky enough to withstand any hit and retaliate with a super effective Judgment. Palkia can hit Ground Arceus hard with STAB Hydro Pump; however, it is rare in Anything Goes and takes a lot of damage from Ground Arceus's attacks.

**Bronzong**: Bronzong takes very little damage from anything Ground Arceus does and can set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Arceus-Ground it in return.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types bulky enough to take Ground Arceus's coverage moves can be difficult to handle. If Multiscale is intact, Lugia can come in and phaze Ground Arceus easily. It does take a large chunk of damage from +2 Stone Edge and +2 Ice Beam, however, but it still survives and can switch in as Ground Arceus boosts. Skarmory hard walls the physical set, not being 2HKOed by +2 Stone Edge and being able to phaze Arceus-Ground it.

**Ho-Oh**: Ho-Oh gets a special mention, as it hard walls both the special Ground Arceus set and the support set. Its massive special bulk allows it to tank any hit from either set and either phaze it or attempt to get a burn with Sacred Fire. It must watch out for Stone Edge, however, so often the opponent Ho-Oh user will switch it out of Ground Arceus until you reveal its set is revealed.

**Xerneas**: Xerneas can set up on the support set and beats the Calm Mind set in a one-on-one situation due to the combination of Geomancy and Power Herb boosting Xerneas faster than Calm Mind boosts Ground Arceus.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai can outspeed Ground Arceus, put it to sleep with Dark Void, and set up a Substitute or attempt to KO it with Dark Pulse.

**Status Users**: Toxic wears all three Ground Arceus sets down very quickly and prevents it from doing too much damage. Burn damage is slightly more manageable for the special sweeper and support sets, but it is still annoying to play around, and it cripples the physical sweeper set.

**Giratina**: Giratina is bulky enough to tank any hit from Ground Arceus, even if it has a boost already, and proceed to burn the physical attacking set with Will-O-Wisp or phaze the special attacking set with Roar. It can also use Rest to get rid of all status or damage taken from any set.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)