Solar Blade
Behemoth Blade
Stone Axe
Ceaseless Edge
Population Bomb
Kowtow Cleave
Bitter Blade
Aqua Cutter
What is Population Bomb doing there? That doesn’t sound like a cutting move, and Maushold doesn’t look like they have anything especially sharp about them.

GF really had it out for the slowtwins huh? At least galarian slowking will still be OU, since it doesn't need teleport in the first place.

I can already see slowbro and slowking just dropping off a cliff viability wise though since teleport was such a key part to their kits. At least galarian-slowking only loses scald, which won't hurt it that much honestly unlike kantonian slowbro and slowking...

Apparently this is the full list of moves boosted by Sharpness:

Cut
Razor Leaf
Slash
Fury Cutter
Air Cutter
Aerial Ace
Leaf Blade
Night Slash
Air Slash
X-Scissor
Psycho Cut
Cross Poison
Sacred Sword
Razor Shell
Solar Blade
Behemoth Blade
Stone Axe
Ceaseless Edge
Population Bomb
Kowtow Cleave
Bitter Blade
Aqua Cutter
so Dragon Claw is not boosted by Sharpness, oh ok

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
what are your thoughts on the buffs and nerfs?

and if i forgot any notable buffs and nerfs, you can find them in these 2 links
https://pastebin.com/VbP2Md04
https://pastebin.com/pghsfRYm
or in case those 2 links expire, go to this doc done by RoiDadadou
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ijn8Im8kU0QnjNyi3AJ6a5feM/edit#gid=1877548319
>give entry hazards to every Mon in existence
>remove knock off and Defog from everything after spending the last 2 generations building it up to a good distribution
>the most reliable counter to hazards is running boots on all your mons again since they’re never gonna get knocked off

surely this will not have an unhealthy impact on the meta :))

No, Home will replace the moves with Lv Up moves if it can’t learn it naturally in SV.
Damn, they covered everything then.
Alright, here are my thoughts based off what's given so far:

The Winners:
  • Hisuan Arcanine actually got a breakthrough by gaining Head Smash + Rock Head. Big bro Aggron would be so proud ;-;
  • Quagsire, and by extension Gastrodon, got full compensation for losing Scald and nerfing Recover by gaining hazard moves after so long.
  • Forretres getting Body Press is a godsend for it.
  • Did Breloom really need Close Combat? Oh well, more punching for me, then.
  • Zangoose gaining Agility might be a big deal, or could be entirely inconsequential. Guess we'll see.
  • Groudon's eating well tonight. Also, Rayquaza did not need either of those moves.
  • We get it Arceus, you're god! Now let all of the other Pokemon have their fun!
  • Ceaseless Edge (and by extension Stone Axe) look to be interesting moves that give their users their own really valuable niche.
  • And on that note, Sharpness seems to be a generally fantastic buff as well, we'll just have to see how much it increases in power.
  • Hisuian Braviary is something worth fearing now. Tinted Lens and a signature move that patches up its Speed while attacking is fantastic.
  • They buffed Landorus. WHY did they buff Landorus?
  • I'm strangely kind of hyped for Chesnaught. Body Press and Super Fang are perfect moves for it.
  • Hisuian Decidueye got a major overhaul. Probably won't be OU, but man, is it better than it would have been before.
  • Oricorio got Quiver Dance. Oh no.
  • ...can we all agree that Magearna did not deserve to receive Spikes for no reason?
  • Grimmsnarl getting Parting Shot didn't worry me at first, until I remembered it also had Prankster.
  • Even with all the other nerfs, Zamazenta finally, after years of waiting, gained Body Press.
  • Yes Gamefreak, the one thing that Urshifu absolutely needed more than anything else was a bigger power boost from Swords Dance.
  • Ground coverage is something that Regidrago really appreciates.
  • Oh hey, Spectrier actually gets a unable special attacking option now.
  • Ursaluna looks... terrifying. I'm actually kind of worried about this one, to be honest.
  • Sneasler gets a legitimate movepool update that goes perfectly well with its stats
  • Enamorous get Superpower, which... hey, Enamorous has Contrary, doesn't it? Uh oh.
The Losers:
  • Dear god, they murdered Slowbro. Scald gone, Teleport gone, and Slack Off nerf removes half of the reason why Slowbro was good in the first place.
  • Even though Scizor got Close Combat, losing Roost is enough of a nerf to overshadow it. Part of the reason Scizor was so good was due to how resilient it was, and outright losing that forces a total gameplay shift for the worst.
  • Oh, Weavile, baby, what did they do to you? Knock Off and Triple Axel were the moves that made Weavile so good, and Ice Spinner is no consolation prize for it.
  • Alomomola lost Scald. GOOD.
  • Bisharp losing Knock Off is a big deal. I don't even think Eviolite is enough to make people look away from that one.
  • Hydreigon lost Roost and Defog, two big moveslots that affect its viability, but gained... Stealth Rock? What? Where? Why? How? WHY DOES THIS ONE BOTHER ME SO MUCH?
  • Volcarona losing Roost ruins the bulky midrange aspect of Volcarona, and will be felt by many players.
  • *obligatory pointing and laughing at the colossal Protean nerf*
  • Sylveon lost Mystical Fire, and not even Trailblaze will be enough to patch that one up.
  • AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- I mean, oh how unfortunate, Toxapex lost both Knock Off and Scald.
  • Lurantis lost Superpower, and by extension the last bit of its lasting fanbase.
  • Tsareena also lost Knock Off and Triple Axel, which is tragic.
  • Here lies Rillaboom's hopes and dreams. What a baby.
  • No more Flip turn pivoting, Barraskewda. You ain't Swift Swimming out of this one!
  • Just like Rillaboom, Indeedee lost half the reason to even consider it.
  • Sweet Jesus, Gamefreak saw that something was wrong with their pet, took it to the vet, and absolutely NEUTERED ZACIAN. Intrepid Sword nerf is one thing, but Zacian-C got a whopping 10% power nerf on top of that. Serves it right, if I'm being honest.
  • Oh hey, Glastrier actually lost it's usable ground coverage now.

Last edited:
GF really had it out for the slowtwins huh? At least galarian slowking will still be OU, since it doesn't need teleport in the first place.

I can already see slowbro and slowking just dropping off a cliff viability wise though since teleport was such a key part to their kits. At least galarian-slowking only loses scald, which won't hurt it that much honestly unlike kantonian slowbro and slowking...
They have access to a new pivoting move. Well, the Slowkings get it, Slowbro doesn't.

Chilly Reception:

The user tells a chillingly bad joke before switching places with a party Pokémon in waiting. This summons a snowstorm lasting five turns.

It's not negative priority, but it still pivots them out and sets up snow (the new Ice weather condition that replaces Hail. Instead of doing chip damage, it raises the Defense of Ice types).

both slowkings got a switchout move that sets up snow weather

Isn't it ironic that the Slowkings may end up being the best Snow setters of the tier
rip obamasnow

Incidentally actually having a pivot move that sets a weather might be also a good way to combat the various sun teams that will happen to abuse protosynthesis

y
Damn, they covered everything then.
Alright, here are my thoughts based off what's given so far:

The Winners:
  • Hisuan Arcanine actually got a breakthrough by gaining Head Smash + Rock Head. Big bro Aggron would be so proud ;-;
  • Quagsire, and by extension Gastrodon, got full compensation for losing Scald and nerfing Recover by gaining hazard moves after so long.
  • Forretres getting Body Press is a godsend for it.
  • Did Breloom really need Close Combat? Oh well, more punching for me, then.
  • Zangoose gaining Agility might be a big deal, or could be entirely inconsequential. Guess we'll see.
  • Groudon's eating well tonight. Also, Rayquaza did not need either of those moves.
  • We get it Arceus, you're god! Now let all of the other Pokemon have their fun!
  • Ceaseless Edge (and by extension Stone Axe) look to be interesting moves that give their users their own really valuable niche.
  • And on that note, Sharpness seems to be a generally fantastic buff as well, we'll just have to see how much it increases in power.
  • Hisuian Braviary is something worth fearing now. Tinted Lens and a signature move that patches up its Speed while attacking is fantastic.
  • They buffed Landorus. WHY did they buff Landorus?
  • I'm strangely kind of hyped for Chesnaught. Body Press and Super Fang are perfect moves for it.
  • Hisuian Decidueye got a major overhaul. Probably won't be OU, but man, is it better than it would have been before.
  • Oricorio got Quiver Dance. Oh no.
  • ...can we all agree that Magearna did not deserve to receive Spikes for no reason?
  • Grimmsnarl getting Parting Shot didn't worry me at first, until I remembered it also had Prankster.
  • Even with all the other nerfs, Zamazenta finally, after years of waiting, gained Body Press.
  • Yes Gamefreak, the one thing that Urshifu absolutely needed more than anything else was a bigger power boost from Swords Dance.
  • Ground coverage is something that Regidrago really appreciates.
  • Oh hey, Spectrier actually gets a unable special attacking option now.
  • Ursaluna looks... terrifying. I'm actually kind of worried about this one, to be honest.
  • Sneasler gets a legitimate movepool update that goes perfectly well with its stats
  • Enamorous get Superpower, which... hey, Enamorous has Contrary, doesn't it? Uh oh.
The Losers:
  • Dear god, they murdered Slowbro. Scald gone, Teleport gone, and Slack Off nerf removes half of the reason why Slowbro was good in the first place.
  • Even though Scizor got Close Combat, losing Roost is enough of a nerf to overshadow it. Part of the reason Scizor was so good was due to how resilient it was, and outright losing that forces a total gameplay shift for the worst.
  • Oh, Weavile, baby, what did they do to you? Knock Off and Triple Axel were the moves that made Weavile so good, and Ice Spinner is no consolation prize for it.
  • Alomomola lost Scald. GOOD.
  • Bisharp losing Knock Off is a big deal. I don't even think Eviolite is enough to make people look away from that one.
  • Hydreigon lost Roost and Defog, two big moveslots that affect its viability, but gained... Stealth Rock? What? Where? Why? How? WHY DOES THIS ONE BOTHER ME SO MUCH?
  • Volcarona losing Roost ruins the bulky midrange aspect of Volcarona, and will be felt by many players.
  • *obligatory pointing and laughing at the colossal Protean nerf*
  • Sylveon lost Mystical Fire, and not even Trailblaze will be enough to patch that one up.
  • AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- I mean, oh how unfortunate, Toxapex lost both Knock Off and Scald.
  • Lurantis lost Superpower, and by extension the last bit of its lasting fanbase.
  • Tsareena also lost Knock Off and Triple Axel, which is tragic.
  • Here lies Rillaboom's hopes and dreams. What a baby.
  • No more Flip turn pivoting, Barraskewda. You ain't Swift Swimming out of this one!
  • Just like Rillaboom, Indeedee lost half the reason to even consider it.
  • Sweet Jesus, Gamefreak saw that something was wrong with their pet, took it to the vet, and absolutely NEUTERED ZACIAN. Intrepid Sword nerf is one thing, but Zacian-C got a whopping 10% power nerf on top of that. Serves it right, if I'm being honest.
  • Oh hey, Glastrier actually lost it's usable ground coverage now.
you forgot to talk about Shell Smash Drednaw, it is better Barbaracle now
big bro Blastoise would also be proud

K302

Luck is a skill
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
- Spectrier gets Draining Kiss
Bruh GF really loves this thing , at least we can quickban it without mutch discussion now.

I am really worried about the recovery move nerf, we can ban everything but we can't just change a game mechanic.

I would also like to rember everyone that National Dex guarantees Asylum for every Move/Pokemon like Scald, Ferrothorn or Knock Weavile which is about to get purged by GF!

Since Roost was nerfed to 5 PP (like all recovery moves), they're functionally indentical
Sorta. Morning Sun like Moonlight has downsides (aka being worst under certain conditions).

However... it's stronger under Sun, and Sun will be everywhere at least in early metas, so arguably that's almost a buff.
I would also like to rember everyone that National Dex guarantees Asylum for every Move/Pokemon like Scald, Ferrothorn or Knock Weavile which is about to get purged by GF!
I am sure NatDex is going to be full of people being glad that Toxapex will keep its viability :)

With Scizor losing access to Roost, unless there is another recovery move it can get (which I doubt) the only way this retains viability is through its role as an attacker. Swords Dance sets with three moves or even the Choice Band/Choice Scarf sets will return. Though losing the option to roost will impact how it is played.

I guess H-Typhlosion gets eruption, which is nice, but probably won't do much for it. Though STAB Ghost and Fire is strong offensive coverage.

The amount of mons that get Spikes or other entry hazards is just stunning honestly. Getting three layers of spikes is gonna be easier with so many distributions. And of course, more Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes to boot. I imagine that Volcorona has to use Heavy Duty Boots now, along with Charizard, just to avoid dying all the time.

Groudon may have lost Heat Crash but it can still run bulky options, especially with Will o Wisp. Though how good this is remains to be seen.

Also, Rayquaza getting U-Turn. Yeah, that is a buff that it did not need but will 1000% abuse to the fullest.

I'm not sure how good Rayquaza with U-turn will be tbh. It's really slow compared to most good ubers now, no longer has V-Create, doesn't hit that hard without band, can't feasibly run a defensive spread, and has a Stealth Rock weakness. Taking it alongside the other two good pivoters in the format means carrying *three* dragon types with nothing to mitigate their shared weaknesses, and you need a fourth one to get rid of rocks because Giratina is the only good defogger.

They really gave Spectrier a nice Fairy type special move while taking away High Horsepower from the horse pokemon Glastrier.

While one is over in Ubers while the other is dead. Nice.
You'd be surprised to know that in the format they balance for, it's the reverse.

Spectrier saw exactly 0 usage in VGC, while Glastrier actually saw a lot of use in trick room teams and as anti-trick room options until restricted meta was a thing. Thus it's actually logical that they buffed Spectrier.

And funnily, this applies to the genies too! Tornadus and Thundurus-I both saw play, while Landorus-I and Landorus-T saw almost 0 play! And it surprises you they buffed it?

Daily reminder: smogon doesn't exist, all balancing is done toward BSS and VGC.

With Scizor losing access to Roost, unless there is another recovery move it can get (which I doubt) the only way this retains viability is through its role as an attacker. Swords Dance sets with three moves or even the Choice Band/Choice Scarf sets will return. Though losing the option to roost will impact how it is played.
Yeah, losing roost sucks, but at least it gets Trailblaze and Pounce as some compensation I guess. Both moves get boosted by Technician and will be useful on Scizor for helping it get past waters and debuffing the opponent's Speed respectively. I do wish it still kept Roost though. I think Kleavor might be the more interesting Pokemon this generation since it has better Speed and Sharpness will boost the power of its STABs to great levels. Scizor needed Roost to leverage the benefits of its defensive typing since its bulk was kinda ehh, but now that'll be harder to do.

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Any news on roost empoleon? P sure it was from event but curious if Its on the game or empo not in game

Is Knock Off just gone? Is that why so many mons are losing the move?

I don't like this, because Knock Off is fantastic utility. Knocking away heavy Gliscor's Toxic Orb is an amazing way to ruin what is otherwise a scary wall, as it preventing guts abusers from getting those self inflicted status conditions. Yeah, removing leftovers, heavy duty boots, and berries are nice as always but even minor stuff like removing Choice items, life orb and eviolite has applications.

Hopefully it is just distributed less, rather than removed outright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)