Other All Gen Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, something has happened with the release of X and Y: there are six slots for each team, and now, for the first time, there are that many generations of pokemon. What does this mean? Well, it's been almost two decades, but my childhood dream birthed in the release of Gold and Silver has come true: All Gen Battles.

Similar to Monotype, this is a meta based on limited slots and optimization in the midst of a simple rule; Monotype's rule, obviously, is that your team has to share the same type. All Gen's rule is just as simple:

In All Gen, you may only use one Pokemon per generation.

Like Scizor and Tyranitar? Better pick between 'em, because they're both Gen II. Think Aegislash is the bee's knees? Well then sorry Greninja, no room for you.

The only complication, Mega Evolution, is easily answered: Mega Evolution's generation is the same as its initial form. So, obviously, Mega Blastoise takes the Gen I slot, not the Gen VI slot. Otherwise one pokemon would take two slots!

The best part is, as more gens are added, this playstyle doesn't go away; this is just the first time we've been able to have a one-gen-per-slot meta and I'm really, really excited about it.

Initial items to consider:
-Some gens have more choices than others; look at the sheer population size difference between, for instance, Gen V and Gen VI.
-While earlier generations have definite threats, power creep also means more options tend to be available in later gens, even if pure population is similar.
-There are type discrepancies between gens, some obvious (for instance, no Dark-types in Gen I) and some more subtle (for instance, lots more Fighting-types to choose from in Gen V).
-No SkarmBliss! Sorry, nostalgia!

No nostalgia for me anyways, didnt try comp till D/P and didn't become a nerd of it until B2/W2.

Chansey
Skarmory
Blaziken
Gastrodon
Excadrill
Greninja

Just off the top of my head :)

This looks kinda fun. What about Megas though? Count as Sixth gen mons or the gens of their respective base forms?

Edit: oops, saw that in first post.

Then I'd have to say:

Vaporeon
Azumarill
MMawile
Gliscor
Ferrothorn
Talonflame

I was mulling over this exact idea months before its release and I'm still pretty excited to make a team for it sometime. I'm still working on my standard team atm though so I haven't really put any thought into it yet... but I'd start with my favourites and modify it from there, so something like:

Dragonite
Blissey
Mawile
Togekiss
Ferrothorn
Talonflame

Stall:

Chancey
Skarmory
Latias
Gliscor
Jellicent
Aegislash

How does mine look? :)

Last edited:
Gyarados
Skarmory
Breloom
M-Lucario
Reuniclus
Talonflame

Just threw some overpowered favorites together, hopefully no glaring weaknesses.

These teams are cool, but what's the rhyme or reason? The teambuilding, rather than listing your top six? I don't doubt some of you have methods to your madness but I'd love to know what they are!

I had to log on to post for this, no reason not to.

Gyarados - Mega
Espeon
Swampert
Garchomp

Volcarona
Sylveon

This actually looks really balanced and fun.

These teams are cool, but what's the rhyme or reason? The teambuilding, rather than listing your top six? I don't doubt some of you have methods to your madness but I'd love to know what they are!
I was mulling over this exact idea months before its release and I'm still pretty excited to make a team for it sometime. I'm still working on my standard team atm though so I haven't really put any thought into it yet... but I'd start with my favourites and modify it from there, so something like:

Dragonite
Blissey
Mawile
Togekiss
Ferrothorn
Talonflame
I dunno, lets see... I got lots of bulk in this set. Dnite probably a paralysis passer, Togekiss could run Body Slam then for ground types. Talonflame could run tailwind to double my team's speed instead if I feel paralysis wont be the way to go during team preview. Blissey might get cut for Vested Ttar... Blissey is my favourite pokemon but I'll be honest if she really got no new toys this gen I will regretfully bench her with a heavy heart. Always liked Ferro for physical walling but might not fit well if my team is aiming to take advantage of attacking first through speed reduction/boosting... if I use him, it would be to set up hazards, otherwise maybe Galvantula instead for Sticky Web to really make a mess of my opponents' speed.

It's funny how the ralts line is split between Gen III and IV. Hooray for getting to use my favourite pokemon in this supposed metagame. :D

- Gen I -
Chansey (Eviolite)
Special Wall, obviously.

- Gen II -
Scizor (standard CB set)
Physical Sweeper, nothing much to say here

- Gen III -
Gardevoir (Mega)
Bulky Special Sweeper
"Wait what, bulky, with that defense?" Full health EVs and Screens support help out so damn much it's ridiculous.

- Gen IV -
Gallade
Crippler and secondary physical sweeper
I run WoW on Gallade. Call it stupid or whatever you want, but being able to singlehandedly counter major physical threats like Sucker Punch Mawile is amazing. And again, Reflect support helps him out a lot

- Gen V -
Scolipede
Speed Boost and Baton Pass
Gardevoir and Gallade are good pokemon: They're not used because of their poor 80 Base Speed and low physical defense, so this guy's purpose should be obvious.

- Gen VI -
Double Screen Klefki
Obvious purpose is obvious. Foul Play so it doesn't get locked down by taunt after setting up Reflect, TWave to further help along my team's innate "slowness"

That's what I would use in such a metagame. It has a rather glaring flaw in that I get completely ruined by Fire-type moves, although with a Light Screen up MegaGardevoir should be able to take most fire attacks head on, at least non-STAB ones.
I will always use so-called NU/RU pokemon on my team even in OU. It's just a matter of properly getting around their faults by teaming them up with OU pokemon that can turn them into viable threats.

I like the idea. Are Ubers allowed or is there OU AG (all gen), UU AG, etc?

I had a similar idea but instead it was you had to use one slot for all the Smogon tiers so there's a wide spread.

- 1 Uber
- 1 OU
- 1 UU
- 1 RU
- 2 NU

You could substitute BL for a NU slot but I figured being forced to use two NU slots would make for a more interesting meta. Maybe that or a Little Cup slot.

I like the idea. Are Ubers allowed or is there OU AG (all gen), UU AG, etc?

I had a similar idea but instead it was you had to use one slot for all the Smogon tiers so there's a wide spread.

- 1 Uber
- 1 OU
- 1 UU
- 1 RU
- 2 NU

You could substitute BL for a NU slot but I figured being forced to use two NU slots would make for a more interesting meta. Maybe that or a Little Cup slot.
What about:
1 Uber
1 OU
1 UU
1 RU
1 NU
1 PU (Other Metagame)

Guess I'll explain my list then.

Vaporeon
Azumarill
MMawile
Gliscor
Ferrothorn
Talonflame

Type synergy, that's all I need. Vaporeon is physically defensive and passes massive Wishes, and can absorb Water/Ice attacks aimed at Gliscor/Talonflame or Fire attacks aimed at MMawile/Ferrothorn. Azumarill is a great revenge killer (pesky Blazikens) and hits like a truck. MMawile is the truck and the four tons of concrete it's carrying; nothing is safe from its massive attack stat. Gliscor is pretty bulky and can absorb Ground attacks aimed at MMawile or Electric attacks aimed at Vaporeon/Azumarill. Ferrothorn is a great wall in general and can cripple opposing sweepers with Thunder Wave, making Azumarill/MMawile's jobs easier. Talonflame rounds out the team by being a great priority killer, terrifying the Grass Pokemon that threaten Vaporeon/Azumarill and can run either WoW to cripple opposing physical attackers or U-Turn to scout enemy switches.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No discussion for weeks and most of the posts here don't promote any discussion. Locking this for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)