Done Allow room owners to promote to ^

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Change Player/Host to an asterisk (like ✱ ✲ ✻) and use the star for Prize Winner. Star is the best choice for Prize Winner, while it doesn't really matter what the Player/Host symbol is.
Wouldn't that conflict with the * symbol for bots?

sorry for off-topic, but when player/host is used? also, i think that ! works well
Player is used for players in battles; Host is used for groupchat creators. ! is already used for muted users.

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
This is a symbol of victory, although in some places it has political implications
κ Since the κότινος is the olive wreath given to olympic winners, since the olive unicode may be too convoluted for PS size if exists
The common "ok" or "well done" symbol used in some educative systems (also an obscure reference to Nike, the greek goddess of victory)
^ Since they have demonstrated to be powerfull
For all their acomplishments
U know, maybe just a happy face could suffice (its Unicode is U+263A, Inline shrinks it a lot)

Last edited:

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
$? I don't think it's used for anything else.
Cash money prize rank. This might create some confusion or imply that these users are donors or somehow paid for the rank.

For ease of promoting and dealing with the rank, a standard keyboard symbol like ^ would be neat.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Actually, there's a big question remaining. Should ^ come with voice powers or no?

(There's unfortunately no way to base it on whether or not the user was previously voice or something.)

you could always make it into a roomsetting (unless you cant)
afaik some rooms dont like gifting voice that freely and if they wanted to they could just give voice
(also me as RO of a priv room cant actually promote to prize winner)

edit: idk how if this would work but if you could suppress voice/ranks visually with ^, then rooms have the option. When you click on the player it could either show the ^ or ^ and room rank (and global rank)

Last edited:
Actually, there's a big question remaining. Should ^ come with voice powers or no?

(There's unfortunately no way to base it on whether or not the user was previously voice or something.)
If they have voice powers, then there's no real point to it, is there?
I know that the game rooms really do not want someone we reward with a custom (say: good job you won a cycle, here's the custom rank to show off) to be able to completely screw over our rooms by using the voice commands (read: This rank probably wouldn't be used at all if it has voice powers since we could just promote to voice if we wanted that)

Advocate of the devil:
Tempvoices could basically be replaced by this if it did have voice power.

Theia

I danced for you for the last time
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
This is a Wi-Fi specific issue, but I thought I'd weigh in nonetheless, granting voice powers to this rank gives those users the power to start giveaways (probably, we haven't been able to test since ROs can't promote yet), and that's not the kind of thing we'd like to hand out to anyone who wins one of our events.

This is a Wi-Fi specific issue, but I thought I'd weigh in nonetheless, granting voice powers to this rank gives those users the power to start giveaways (probably, we haven't been able to test since ROs can't promote yet), and that's not the kind of thing we'd like to hand out to anyone who wins one of our events.
If I get it right, ^ should be below voices. Couldn't you just set giveaway perms to + anyway with /permission ?

It doesn't really change that this doesnt sound like what the function was requested for. Custom rank is a fun reward for people you don't want to promote to voice, if you want them to have voice powers then why aren't they voice?

It doesn't really change that this doesnt sound like what the function was requested for. Custom rank is a fun reward for people you don't want to promote to voice, if you want them to have voice powers then why aren't they voice?
I really don't care if it ends up not having any perms, like I've said it would be just a plus to the prize. In any case, I really don't get the problem you're seeing with it; how does having access to !dt or any basic commands disrupt your room? If you have a problem with it you can always establish guidelines for the winner and tell them not to use the commands

I really don't care if it ends up not having any perms, like I've said it would be just a plus to the prize. In any case, I really don't get the problem you're seeing with it; how does having access to !dt or any basic commands disrupt your room? If you have a problem with it you can always establish guidelines for the winner and tell them not to use the commands
I run game room with a permanent game going on as well as officials. A reward like this is good for people who don't deserve voice to receive a spotlight that they are a good presence in the room yet not someone we want to give voice, giving it voice permissions breaks the point entirely to mr and other rooms that give voices a level of responsibilities

As far as I know, Voices intentionally have very little powers - all they can do is broadcast certain commands. Like Mitsuki said, I really don't see what permissions you have an issue with.
I elaborated in the last post, didn't I?
In gamerooms you dont want people to just start games, use dt ad nil, spam quotes, etc. Its just not an interruption you want. So I am now limited yo giving this rank to someone I trust enough to use these commands. At that point, I van give them voice.what is the point of this rank then?

Err, let's address these one by one, then:

(a) Start games
As far as I can tell, Lady Monita handles all the games for GC, right? PS permissions don't even matter for this; it's something that Lady Monita herself handles.

(b) Spam !dt
If someone is literally using !dt to a point that you consider spam, they shouldn't be promoted to ^ in the first place - if someone's a detrimental presence to chat, they shouldn't be given ^ even if they win it.

(c) Spam quotes
See (a)

someone I trust enough to use these commands. At that point, I van give them voice
I cannot think of any reason to Voice someone for perms. If you can't trust someone to not flood !dt, they shouldn't be trusted with ^. Voice, to me at least is a rank that acknowledges the contributions a user has made, not a reward with permissions.

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
(a) Start games
As far as I can tell, Lady Monita handles all the games for GC, right? PS permissions don't even matter for this; it's something that Lady Monita herself handles.
Yeah but say in trivia where voices can start scripted games, is a major complication if a prize winner decides to start an official trivia game for no rhyme or reason. It goes along with what nol said about giveaways in wifi.

Yeah but say in trivia where voices can start scripted games, is a major complication if a prize winner decides to start an official trivia game for no rhyme or reason. It goes along with what nol said about giveaways in wifi.
Yeah. And we can demote. Sure. But the damage is done. If I want people to.use dt or start games,I will give them voices. Why would I need a rank that gives them the voice powers then?

If it's a major complication for the Trivia room specifically just don't use the thing. Good contributors to the room will still be marked with +, which should be enough for people to know a prize winner doesn't have the same amount prestige. Think if you were a regular user: would you be willing more to compete for something that allows you to do a different thing from what you usually do or for something that won't change anything at all?

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For a regular user, having a rank is pretty different from normal anyways. Voice is earned by being a good user to the point where you are trusted with broadcast commands, not by winning a contest or tournament or something. If it’s the same as voice but with a different symbol, then why not just reward them with voice itself?

Why does a prize rank need to have trust involved instead of strictly being for someone who wins an event?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)