Almost Any Ability Creative/Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by The Eevee General

AAA is a tier filled with almost unlimited possibilities; that said, the metagame should theoretically be very diverse and full of creative ideas. But that's almost the exact opposite of what the tier is slowly becoming; many players are putting restricting themselves to only using specific sets that are seen everywhere. And it's like this in almost every metagame. However, the underlying truth is that a lot of the time, having an innovative set works far better than a standard set. There's untapped potential in every single metagame, but AAA has so many more possibilities than some other metagames, and a whole treasure trove of sets to be discovered.

This is where this thread comes into play. The purpose of this thread is to introduce players to new and innovative sets, which can help make the metagame less bland. Plus it's a good feeling when you face someone who uses your exact set.

But there's a catch, and although this may be obvious, here are some "types" of movesets you should not post:
1) Shitty Gimmicks*
2) Outclassed Sets
3) Standard Sets
4) Sets that you haven't even tried out yet
*Shitty Gimmicks must perform extremely poorly in testing AND cannot be supported well with an argument by the poster
Also, please use good descriptions, and use good grammar (is "good grammar" even correct grammatically?)
Gliscor @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Trick
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang

GLISCOR IS THE ULTIMATE SKARMORY LURE!!!1!11 SKARMORY ALWAYS SWITCHES IN ON IT AND YOU CAN JUST USE POWER TRICK AND THEN SWORDS DANCE TO OHKO IT. FIRE FANG AND THUNDER FANG ARE THERE SO THAT FLASH FIRE SKARMORY AND VOLT ABSORB SKARMORY CANT STOP YOU. ITS A BRILLIANT SET I HAVENT TESTED IT HAVE FUN GUYS!!!!
(but seriously this gliscor does OHKO max defense skarm o_O)

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald

corcune is a monsta it sets up on everything and makes ppl ragequit i like it bcuz its unbeatable

Pidgeot @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Pursuit

why use starapTURD when you can use BASED BERD JESUS. seriously why is this not uesd more often look at that sexy hairdo, staraptor wishes it were as bootiful as dis but sadly staraptor be cryin itself to death in dat broken mirror that it owns.
plus it beats weedle one on one, something most things are too scurred to do. 10/10 would run again.

(for those who don't know, outclassed by Braviary/Staraptor/Honchkrow)

Klefki @ Choice Band
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Foul Play
- Switcheroo
- Facade

Here's banded klefki, a surprisingly good set that I haven't seen anyone else use.
When you normally see klefki, you think of magic bounce, prankster, flash fire, or levitate; basically it's seen as a defensive, annoying mon. This set does an entirely different take on klefki; it lures in magic bouncers and ends up destroying them with a banded pixilate frustration. The steel typing allows it to resist common priority moves such as extreme speed, brave bird, refrigerate espeed, pixilate espeed, and ice shard. It also has decent bulk, allowing it to almost always get an attack off against a mon without a super effective attack. And it hits like a truck:

252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 342-403 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Braviary: 327-385 (81.1 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 310-366 (86.3 - 101.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (on the switch/using overpredicts)
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 171-202 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-197769759
(by me)

Conkeldurr @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab/Protect

This set makes conkeldurr very durable: conkeldurr will always recover 12.5% of its health, unlike regular play, that it recovers 6.25% health, and it's due to leftovers which can be knocked off. Max special bulk EVs because conkeldurr will became very bulky after some bulk ups, and the opponent will like to send out a special attacker, and these EVs can protect conkeldurr from them. Bulk up is a obvious move here: boosts the attack and defense of conkeldurr, drain punch is a reliable STAB, and gives conkeldurr even more recovery, knock off hits ghosts and psychic types in switch that otherwise, would threaten conkeldurr, poison jab is if don't want to get walled by fairy-types, and protect serves as a barrier to conkeldurr, protecting it from moves like will-o-wisp, thunder wave and knock off that would prevent its poison heal from working, and also give conkeldurr 25% life recover every turn with poison heal.
(by jellicentispringles)

Jirachi @ Iron Plate/Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: null Spe
- Doom Desire
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect

This set is extremely fun to use; I'm sure I'm not the one who first came up with it, but holy hell, this thing is so good. Tinted Lens Doom Desire hits like a truck on everything that isn't a special wall; that's where u-turn comes in. If you think a chansey or a snorlax is coming in, simply use your slow u-turn to get a safe switch in to your physical attacker, and watch as nothing; LITERALLY nothing tanks the series of hits (depending on what poke you use). For example, I run it alongside gale wings braviary to add pressure to most pokemon in the meta, and then most of its common switch-ins simply get obliterated by doom desire. However, your physical attacking slot is really for preference; if you want to ensure that absolutely nothing switches in, run tough claws heracross, whereas if you want a fast mon that applies lots of pressure, run gale wings.

And that's not where the set ends. This thing is an amazing wish passer because of the offensive pressure it provides, allowing you to get some mons back to full health at no opportunity cost. Protect is a multifunctional move that allows you to stall out doom desire as well as get your HP back from wish. Overall a really great pokemon that should be used more.

252+ SpA Iron Plate Tinted Lens Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 274-324 (71.3 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (that's a KO if it switches into braviary)
252+ SpA Iron Plate Tinted Lens Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 294-348 (91.3 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Iron Plate Tinted Lens Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 334-394 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Iron Plate Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 327-385 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(by me)

Florges (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Copycat
- Nature Power
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This is the first set. Prankster is obviously to get priority Nature Power and Life Orb is for some extra power. EV's and nature are equally straightforward, though there might be a better EV Spread, but I really don't know what. You can speed creep for gale wings Skarm or Honchkrow, but it'd require a lot of speed. The crux of this set is of course Nature Power. Under normal conditions it changes into Tri Attack, which is a special Extreme Speed with lower priority but a special effect. Misty Terrain is an awesome move to use, as it will cause Nature Power to turn into Moonblast AND gives Fairy type moves a 50% boost in power, not only supporting Florges itself, but if you run Nature Power Spam (I ran 3 mons with Nature Power, one specs Heatran for just some priority that could get very powerful if I had a terrain up), you support your teammates as well. Copycat is from the old Prankster Copycat set and is useful here too, just because you can revenge opponents without priority. If you want you can use Moonblast to so you always have reliable STAB. Last slot is for HP Ground so Heatran doesn't annoy you as much, but you can use other moves too.

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Grassy Terrain
- Nature Power
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is my second set. I chose Exeggutor because it's a really powerful Pokemon with Grassy Terrain and Nature Power. There were other Pokemon too, but they had worse stats for this job. I was surprised as I never expected myself to use Exeggutor in AAA, but it's actually quite good. Just like the previous set, Grassy Terrain and Nature Power serve as powerful priority and a way to upgrade it. Psychic is a secondary, reliable STAB and Hidden Power Fire is just coverage for annoyances as Skarmory, but watch out for Flash Fire.
I don't think I need to explain this too much as I told p much everything at the last set. Don't believe it's powerful?

252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Cresselia under Grassy Terrain: 224-265 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde under Grassy Terrain: 227-269 (55.7 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew under Grassy Terrain: 251-296 (62.1 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Staraptor under Grassy Terrain: 231-273 (74.2 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill under Grassy Terrain: 434-512 (120.2 - 141.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(by Snaquaza)

Quickscoper (Gengar) @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp / Sludge Bomb

No Guardgar carries one of the fastest reliable non-Prankster sleep moves in the game, outsped naturally by nothing worth mentioning. Of course, most Prankster-Spore users are bloody obvious and lack offensive presence (save Breloom on that last point), so Gengar's niche is working as a fast sleep inducer where most people don't expect a fast sleep inducer, all while dishing out respectable damage. It also checks Bisharp, which seems to be a theme of this thread. Gengar's advantage in that department is that most Bisharps think that they can force Gengar out; even if they wake up as soon as possible and Sucker Punch you, rarely do they expect its sash.

With the ability to reliably status the opponent (and lacking the power of an SF-LO boost on Shadow Ball), this set appreciates Hex (SFLO Shadow Ball is actually only about 5% stronger on a statused opponent). It also takes a nice chunk out of some Poison Healers, and is surprisingly strong without the status boost. An accurate Focus Blast rounds out Gengar's coverage excellently -- between Hex and Focus Blast, staying in on Gengar while asleep is very rarely a good idea. The last slot is up for grabs; Will-O-Wisp, theoretically, is great for spreading status even while something else is asleep, but if the opponent lets their napping Pokemon stay in on it, Gengar has just wasted a precious turn of sleep. And Gengar really does not want to take more hits than it has to. Sludge Bomb should hit some opponents more powerfully than either (unboosted) Hex or Focus Blast, and has an inviting poison chance. But I haven't tested Gengar with Sludge Bomb, so.

EVs and Nature should be self-explanatory. Focus Sash lets Gengar serve as a reliable check to a variety of threats while at full health, but if you have your checking needs handled, Black Sludge probably works -- I personally found it underwhelming, though.

The set's biggest enemies are Magic Bouncers (for obvious reasons), scarfers (which bring it down to its sash, or kill it outright), and birds (which outspeed it and are often immune to Hex). As these are all common in the meta, scouting and team support are absolutely required, but you probably don't need to go too far out of your way to do it.
(by Akumeoy)

Tired of Generic AAA Hyper Offense? Hate priority spam? Wanna rip out the souls of lucarios, dragonites, Braviaries, mamoswines, zygardes, snorlax, Terrakion, Mega Metagross, Skarmory, etc.? Then I have the set for you:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Pursuit
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Basically made with half an ounce of creativity, but it's still easily the most reliable "catch-all" in existence. I honestly haven't seen anyone use it, and honestly, it really deserves more usage. Let's take a look at the generic hyper offense team, off the top of my head: Deoxys-S/Braviary/Mamoswine/Bisharp/Zapdos/Lucario. Out of those pokemon, Doublade beats 4 of them one on one (stops deo-s from getting up two hazards too). I really don't have to say much about this except that it's an excellent pokemon that beats some of the most problematic threats in the meta, because honestly, we really shouldn't have to deal with priority spam. And if this thing rises in usage, I can see priority spam being far, far, far less common.

No replays or calcs, but to be honest you have to try it for yourself to see how good this is. Okay, it's not nearly as creative as any of the other sets in this thread, but hell, it's underrated enough for me to post it.
(by me)

gotta go slow (Ferrothorn) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Explosion

So it turns out that slapping Tough Claws and a Choice Band on something makes it stronger. Who knew?

This is just the Choice Band set from Gen V with Tough Claws and Knock Off. It is, by my calculations, about 2.8 times as powerful as standard Ferrothorn. While it hates Fire- and Fighting-type moves (its Fire weakness is by far the greatest downgrade from a Flash Fire set), it still has more than enough bulk to take neutral and resisted hits and surprise KO in return -- despite having great STABs and solid Attack, nobody expects Ferrothorn to run an offensive set. Bulldoze is maybe a choice over Explosion (despite it not being a great move to be locked into, mispredicts are much less painful), but I've literally never needed that fourth moveslot anyways. The best thing about this set, however, is that you get so much free damage because standard Ferrothorn forces a lot of switches and baits a good deal of setup.

Things that it destroys: Any water type (beware of Scald), Hippowdon, Snorlax (with no defense investment or Curse boosts), Deoxys-D, Rotom-W (even after a burn), Chansey (it can even use Knock Off first for a clean OHKO later), Mandibuzz, any offensive Pokemon that doesn't OHKO it first (watch out for Fighting coverage on birds). Of the things that it can't handle (mostly bulkier Steel- and Fire-types, and things that want to use SE attacks against it), most can be handled with powerful Water types, if you're looking to form an offensive core.

Its primary flaw, as an offensive Pokemon, is that it goes last and has no recovery, which means that it can get worn down to KO range after taking a hit or two. Given that this set is not inclined to stay in for a long time, however, you don't necessarily need to run it with Wish support. A Volt/Turn/Pass is, however, appreciated to get it in safely.

In short, if you need something that can take a hit and KO a lot of things out of nowhere, consider Choice Band Ferrothorn.
(by Akumeoy)

A funny set I've had quite a bit of success with:

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse

Paired with Staraptor or Braviary this thing becomes really good at getting surprise kills if your opponent doesn't see it coming. I like to put Raptor in my first team slot, lead with Heatran disguised as Raptor, watch them switch in Klefki or Mawile or Aegislash, etc, and laugh as it gets roasted, opening their team up for the actual birdspam later in the game. Helps that no one in their right mind is going to use EQ on what they think is a bird, or keep a Fighting-type in on it, which means it practically never gets OHKOed, giving it more chances to nuke stuff.

This setup does struggle with bulky waters somewhat, so you do need a check for that, but generally that's not most people's answer to birdspam in the first place, so.

by Yuelia

Sneasel is a pretty cool mon in the meta, although I don't understand why you're running max HP. I think a set that's more like this would be better

Sneasel @ Life Orb / Icicle Plate
Ability: Refrigerate
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Swords Dance / Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Return / Double-Edge
- Quick Attack / Feint / Low Kick

Technically you could run 224 Speed EVs to outpace 252+ Thundurus / Tornadus. I don't know if the extra bulk helps at all though, so I put max speed to speed tie other sneasel and raikou. I think I have a little too many slashes right now, but you can easily go either 4 attacks or SD. You make up for its kind of meh base 95 attack with high BP fridge moves obv. Life Orb is the item of choice because its the go-to item for glass canon mon for a reason :p. However, if you're using Double-Edge Icicle Plate is a good move. Feint is manly there for Dragonite's ESpeed, since it's the only notable ESpeeder you can beat. It also bypasses Protect, although this is less notable. Technically Plate DE is stronger than LO Fridge, but gives you a weaker Knock Off. SD is cool because you can kill a lot of shit at +2, although you do have problems actually getting said +2. Still hits hard without it though.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Sneasel Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Strong Winds: 361-429 (94 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Icicle Plate Refrigerate Sneasel Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Strong Winds: 390-462 (101.5 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

some calcs at +0 (open)

some calcs at +2 (open)

It does best vs offense than stall teams, and has troubles vs bulky watermons. Dunno what else to calc. Tough Claws is also an option, as with Aerial Ace you hit Keldeo, although sadly it lives (doesn't appreciate it though)
(by DJSkrelp, edited by The Reptile)

I've been testing this thing lately, and can conclude that it's a monster:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Grass Knot/Knock Off
- Air Slash/Knock Off

Tornadus-T outspeeds most of the relevant offensive threats in the tier, and can pretty much net a free kill (assuming no fridgespeed). However, one thing I noticed people doing was that they were using gale wings, and honestly that's extremely easy to stop with something like zapdos. So, with this set, I know lazily slapping tinted lens onto a pokemon that spams one attack isn't the most creative of things, but it's certainly a weapon to consider adding to your team, especially since rain teams have been getting more and more relevant lately.
some relevant calcs (open)

You could opt for Tornadus-I for more power, but then you have to gamble the speed tie against thundurus-I, but it's honestly personal preference, as Incarnate is noticeable stronger.
(by me)

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Tentacruel has apparently already been posted, but it was deleted so I am going to submit this. Assault vest regenerator tentacruel is just such a good pivot pokemon and general wall. Water/Poison is an excellent type that allows it to check or counter many threats in aaa. It is one of the few mons with rapid spin, allowing you to stack hazards and remove theirs. Scald and knock off are the best utility moves in the game, allowing you to get burns on things and get rid of items. Acid spray is partly a filler move, but it allows you to beat things like suicune 1v1 because of the sdef drops. (Acid spray is a 40 bp move that drops sdef by 2 stages if you didn't know what it does.) Some of the things tentacruel switches into or checks: Entei, Heatran, Aegislash, Doublade, Blaziken, Heracross, Genesect, Manaphy, Gengar, Volcarona, Mega Diancie. Also, because of the poison typing, it can afford to switch into many defensive mons and knock them off and fish for scald burns, such as Chansey, Mandibuzz, defensive Skarmory, Goodra, Regirock, Deoxys-D, and more. Good team mates are pokemon that can switch into strong ground attacks, or block volt switchers/beats electric types, or switch into latios/any other psychic type, as well as anything that sets spikes or stealth rocks. Levitate Doublade, pre-mega levitate metagross, Hippowdon, volt absorb Mandibuzz/Skarmory, and Ferrothorn are all good pokemon that pair well with tentacruel.

MegaILLUSIONDOS

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Substitute

While looking at the set first glance, one might think it silly. Gyarados acquires more weaknesses, and Volt Absorb Gyarados is already effective enough as it is. However, this is the precise reason to build a team around this beast. It acquires even more attack power, and your foe will not see it coming. Set up on a psychic type, and prepare for domintion.

This works when you remove possible counters from the opponents team, and remove phasers. Though requiring support, I've personally been rekt by one. I never saw it coming.
(by DJSkrelp)

Here is a great set with mew that i love to use.It's great for playing mind games with your target.

@ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Me First
- Transform
- Soft Boiled
- Defog

The Main Gimmick with this set is the prankster ability.With it you won't be needing to invest speed EVs and can focus on bulk/defense.Prankster Me First is great you'll be able to use your foe's attack against them with 1.5x power and it's a lot of fun seeing your foe's attack kill them.Transform is great if they try to set up you'll be able to copy their stat boast,ability and pokemon with priority.Soft Boiled is a handy move to carry as you can heal yourself before the foe gets to attack.Defog is so you can remove annoying hazards that may cause problems for your team.

Of course there are problems with this set.Me First will not work if the target does not use a direct damage attack,so you'll fall to moves like toxic And you can't directly attack anyways.But overall this set can be really useful.

So in the end this is a fun gimmicky set that can really turn around matches.

Azumarill @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpA
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Scald
- Perish Song

This set is designed to take on Stallbreaking Fighting types without much pain. Basically, Scald can burn them, Substitute and Protect an help stall them out, while Perish Song is always a nice way to get rid of their potential SD boosts. The investment allows me to wall them for as long as necessary without being forced out and, thus, have a better chance of burning or beating them.
(not showing the infernape set, as it was meant to hardcounter bisharp, a pokemon that is now banned)
(by NOCturnal Hunter )

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switchw
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

It counters all gale wings skarmory sets and swiches in comfortably to any choice locked brave bird (cannot switch into superpowers/close combats without defense investment tho ;_;). I actually came up with this when i was having trouble with gale wings skarmory and wanted something that beats it. This isn't too bad at other things tho, it's STAB's pack quite a punch and it works well as a slow volt switcher. Thunderwave criples predicted switchins while toxic actually lands on other electric types, ground types and random electric immunity ability mons. I mainly run modest to let it be a solid foul play switchin (i've had bad experiences with trying to switch mons into umbreon) , and aaa teams generally having fast mons let it move last most of the time.
by imas234

I think this could be pretty cool:
Heatran @ Air Balloon/Leftovers/Flame Plate???
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Metal Sound
- Magma Storm/Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Earth Power/Filler move of your choice

Okay, i know, i know, it looks like a dumb set, and it probably is, but bear with me here for a second. Desolate land heatran forces many switches, into things like primordial sea ferrothorn, chansey, flash fire scizor, and friends to beat it. This set takes advantage of pretty much all its counters by subbing in their face, and spamming metal sound to make sure they get annihilated by fire blast/earth power. Once you use metal sound at least once, Earth power 2HKOs Ferrothorn (which can no longer beat you 1v1), Earth power 2HKOs scizor (which stands no chance against you without superpower), Fire Blast 2HKOs Chansey, and Fire Blast OHKOs Snorlax. So they'll either be forced to switch into something that does not appreciate a fire blast, or they'll be forced to sacrifice chansey. Keep in mind that unlike regular offensive heatran, this heatran can trap and kill just about anything, even its dedicated counters.

The great thing about Heatran is that it can actually come in on some very potent threats. For example, Manaphy barely does any damage with +3 Ice beam, while you easily destroy it with Earth Power. Suicune is complete substitute fodder, Skarmory will almost always switch out, Braviary loses to you one on one due to the speed EVs, PH Vaporeon is complete substitute + metal sound fodder (have fun with that baton pass), and the list goes on.

Oh, and did I mention, it bypasses unaware?

(by me)

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD (run jolly if you want to pursuit trap more things)
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch/Stone Edge/Crunch/Earthquake
- Stealth Rock/Stone Edge/Crunch/Earthquake

Nothing all that special at first galnce, just a prankster taunt mon, but when you look at it more, it really is amazing. Deoxys-S is now pretty much the most reliable lead in the meta, notorious for getting up "guaranteed hazards" throughout matches. Not any more; by leading with this tyranitar, you can prankster taunt it, then pursuit as it switches out, and reliably set up rocks some time in the match with the prankster (deoxys-s teams dont run defog), and just like that, a huge thorn in your ass gets pulled out. The thing about Tyranitar is, its use doesn't just run out there; it's a fantastic all around pursuit trapper that traps things like victini and latios, which can really be annoying if you don't have something like ph umbreon or flash fire gliscor do deal with them. This thing can also stop sun in its tracks, by use of sand stream and that insane bulk that allows it to tank heatran's eruptions and proceed to hit it with a powerful attack or pursuit trap it as it tries to switch out. Oh, and one last thing: do you get annoyed when braviary suddenly comes in and ruins your potential sweep? With any prediction or sacrifices, your opponent can say hi to Tyranitar can come in and deal 70% damage with pursuit + brave bird recoil + pursuit, and if rocks are up, that's pretty much a kill.
(by me)

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Normalize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

After posting a shitty joke set (see second post), I decided to redeem myself with this. Gengar can easily stop sweepers like unaware suicune, and basically wrecks any slower mon than it, easily forcing out and subbing on mons like bisharp. SF gengar is quite popular so you can simply skill swap on the switch in then sub/fire off a free shadow ball. Not gonna put in calcs because it hits just as hard as normal gengar, but puts in a lot of work and can easily steal momentum and screw up stall teams. Skill swap also beats poison heal mons, as skill swapping them after 3 turns of being in makes them take toxic damage as if they had been in for 3 turns. Does get walled by chansey and bulletproof things that resist sludge wave if they switch back in, but so does SF Gar.
(by Megazard Z)

Also, since i've been meaning to post something here for a while, here's a krookodile set i've had success with.

Krookodile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Stone Edge / Pursuit/ Crunch

I came up with this after the bisharp and mamoswine ban. Krookodile seemed like a perfect replacement because it has the strong knock off and eq which made those two so popular. while it lacks the immediate power both of them had, it's a lot faster. Also having bulk up as the setup moves make it harder for it to be revenge killed by the common priority abusers in the meta. The reason crunch is slashed is because it can take out some things after the first (stronger) knock off while the second weaker knock off can't. 240 speed jolly lets it outspeed jolly lucario and adamant entei, but an adamant set could be used instead to deal more damage at the expense of being less effective vs lucario and entei

What it does: My teambuilding is limited to "can this hit hard?" so uh don't expect much from me in terms of what it does. What i do with it is basically try setting up / predict mons that might come in and click the right coverage move. I didn't even do these calcs when i made the set, i just did it now to make the post look nice. Feel free to make fun of me or point out any mistakes i made
What beats this set: fast hard hitting things, especially special attackers. Most things can't switch in but can revenge kill, like victini (jolly/scarf), gengar, latios (only if it has focus miss) etc. Intimidate hippo is a pain in the rear as always.
(by imas234)

@ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Signal Beam
- Ice Beam

This Thing gets a lot options with sheer force which is awesome!If you can set up a tail glow you'll do massive damage to anything with moves like scald,ice beam,energy ball and psychic.The focus sash makes sure you get a tail glow off and if your feeling risky go for the life orb.You won't be able to take a free hit but you'll do extra damage without the recoil!I don't see many people using this pokemon or the sheer force ability for some reason even though sheer force is a great ability.This thing can sweep entire teams very easily.

Problems: Manaphy can be out sped by a lot of pokemon scarfed or not.Focus sash won't protect from the some what rare multi hit attacking pokemon.But that's about it for this thing's problems.

Overall:Fantastic sweeper and that happy smile from manaphy is something you don't want coming at you.
(by SparkyAgain)

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Wild Charge
- Knock Off
- Superpower

This set focuses on coming in late game and cleaning from there. Magic Guard is pretty cool on Thundurus (especially physical ones) as it isn't hurt by Stealth Rock, Life Orb or Wild Charge, so it's way harder to wear down, something that would easily hurt it if it didn't have Magic Guard. It's also cool against more defensive Pokemon on styles other than Hyper Offense as usually they can't hurt you that badly, and you can set up at least one Bulk Up. Bulk Up also raises your defense so if you threaten something out or find something that isn't too strong, you can set up and it'll be harder to kill or revenge you, due to the defense boost. It's not mindshockingly strong, but it's main attribute is its good speed. Its speed tier of 111 is excellent, as it just outspeeds a lot of relevant Pokemon at the 110 speed tier, while not much that is relevant outspeeds it, especially not barely. It's power is good enough to plow through weakened Pokemon and frailer Pokemon on offense, especially if you can get a Bulk Up boost. It has a little more trouble against stallier teams, but you can spam Knock Off at the start of the battle to wear them down and once something is out that can't touch you (You can't be hurt by Toxic) you can start setting up.
(by Snaquaza)

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Electric]

This is a very strange set that I used on a semi-stall team in order to trap all varients of ferrothorn and skarmory, along with every other relavant steel type other than +2 bisharp (although I wasn't aiming to trap that.) Basically, you switch in and taunt them. You then fire blast, and if they are flash fire then hit them with earth power or HP Electric. Taunt when necessary. A very strange set, but it is the best magnet pull pokemon imo. Evs are pretty basic, feel free to tweak them.
(by Pagoose)

Honestly this is a really dumb set that theoretically should fail in every aspect of being a moveset, but it somehow works, so I'll post it here:
Jellicent @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (if specs), or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (if scarf)
Modest/Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Shadow Ball/Recover/Will-o-Wisp
- Trick

Sure, we've probably all tried some variant of offensive jellicent, but probably not to much success. This was the first offensive jellicent set I tried that actually worked.

Anyways, I was looking for a mon that takes advantage of zapdos not named "motor drive manaphy" that happens to not get walled by snorlax and ferrothorn. The result? It's hard to explain, just see for yourself.

At +1, and with a specs, there are very few things that switch in. Anyways, the point is, you come in on a volt switch/discharge, as heat wave/hp ice can't really touch you, and then you kill something (as long as you're facing bulky offense/hyper offense). Scarf lets you beat hyper offense easily, whereas specs lets you beat bulky offense easily.

Specs Calcs (open)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-215327510 (sorry for obnoxious name lol, also i think he just lost from being afk)
(by me)

inb4 Sheer Force (Gengar) @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Perish Song / Taunt
- Shadow Ball / Sludge Wave / Taunt

This isn't incredibly creative but I think it's better than most normalize gengar sets I usually see on the ladder or even in tours.
More often than not when a gengar runs normalize it will try to skill swap straight away. And that's usually quite ineffective since you can just switch out and back into your counter (switching on a non sheer force gengar is A LOT easyer).
This one is different since it actually traps the opponent. Say you send gengar on something that obviouslt doesn't want to be in front of it (Slurpuff for example). Use mean lock on the incoming goodra / chansey or whatever the opp uses to counter sf gengar switchin. Skill swap them normalize, use perish song and switch out on a normal resist / ghost type on the last turn (or stay in if you're an idiot).

This thing is in my opinion a great lure set and can possibly pave the way for something that has similar counters to gengar like sheer force landorus.
It's also quite fearsome for stallteams since he can just trap and kill every mon 1 by 1 (suicune / goodra / chansey / cress you name it)

Taunt it an option so that skarmory doesn't ww you but is inferior to shadow ball or perish song. Since perish song actually kills stuff and shadow ball is essential if you don't want to be dead weight against offense.
(by motherlove)

(All sets with 3 likes or more will enter the archive)
(Try to limit yourself to 1 set per post unless you're posting re-iterations of the same set)
So, uh, get innovative and get posting! And keep those 4 rules in mind and you should be good!

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mew @ Starf Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance/psychic/aura sphere

Posting this because I was told to. Manages to pass on a lot of defensive teams and works pretty well overall. Also can lure in Bisharp and hit with an aura sphere from behind a sub. Probably will get thrown out as a shitty gimmick, but can put in a lot of work, especially with the surprise factor :)

Actually I change my mind on only letting me decide on the sets; that wouldn't be too great for this thread. So I'll make it more of a community thing

Since people seemed incredibly obsessed with likes nowadays, why not make them actually have a use?

From now on, all posts with 3 likes or more will enter the archive.
also 420 posts goml ppl

Conkeldurr @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab/Protect

This set makes conkeldurr very durable: conkeldurr will always recover 12.5% of its health, unlike regular play, that it recovers 6.25% health, and it's due to leftovers which can be knocked off. Max special bulk EVs because conkeldurr will became very bulky after some bulk ups, and the opponent will like to send out a special attacker, and these EVs can protect conkeldurr from them. Bulk up is a obvious move here: boosts the attack and defense of conkeldurr, drain punch is a reliable STAB, and gives conkeldurr even more recovery, knock off hits ghosts and psychic types in switch that otherwise, would threaten conkeldurr, poison jab is if don't want to get walled by fairy-types, and protect serves as a barrier to conkeldurr, protecting it from moves like will-o-wisp, thunder wave and knock off that would prevent its poison heal from working, and also give conkeldurr 25% life recover every turn with poison heal.

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 252 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Kick / Brick break / Pursuit

S-ranked mon with very common ability so creative amirite

This set uses the overwhelming presence of Adaptability / Tough Claws / Flash Fire Bisharp to surprise the opponent, counter-lead, and prey on the defensive opponents that are often sent out to stop it. Specifically, common Deoxys leads crumble in front of it (Mold Breaker Deo-S does get a hazard off, but at the cost of dying without a sash). The first EV spread and the Fighting move option are to always tank +2 252+ Tough Claws Bisharp's Sucker Punch / Iron Head from full health and OHKO back while outspeeding Adamant Bisharps; if always living through this specific matchup is important to you, run Leftovers, because otherwise LO recoil just makes you trade. If you don't care at all about tanking hits, probably just switch to the full offensive EVs and a Life Orb. Moves should be self-explanatory.

It doesn't have the raw power of fully offensive Bisharp sets, or the utility factor of other Magic Bouncers, but more or less acts as offensive support while handling some of the defensive mons that people rely on to stop it.

Klefki @ Choice Band
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Foul Play
- Switcheroo
- Facade

Here's banded klefki, a surprisingly good set that I haven't seen anyone else use.
When you normally see klefki, you think of magic bounce, prankster, flash fire, or levitate; basically it's seen as a defensive, annoying mon. This set does an entirely different take on klefki; it lures in magic bouncers and ends up destroying them with a banded pixilate frustration. The steel typing allows it to resist common priority moves such as extreme speed, brave bird, refrigerate espeed, pixilate espeed, and ice shard. It also has decent bulk, allowing it to almost always get an attack off against a mon without a super effective attack. And it hits like a truck:

252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 342-403 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Braviary: 327-385 (81.1 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 310-366 (86.3 - 101.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (on the switch/using overpredicts)
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Klefki Frustration vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 171-202 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-197769759

I used to have several teams of which I could put in this thread. Like TR and rain, for example.

However, since I accidentally deleted those teams, I don't really have many sets here. However, I do have 2 interesting gimmicks, one that really works quite well, the other being limited but very good at its main role.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 136 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Slack Off
- Brick Break
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

This Infernape is very underused because it isn't quite as good as other things that are way better, and with GW spam being everywhere, it usually fails to make an impact. However, if there is one thing it can do well, it is being hard counter Bisharp no matter what. Brick Break is strong enough to kill Bisharp, and while Close Combat is better, it lowers your defenses, and that is pretty bad for something that is supposed to "wall." WoW is a nice method to burn its opponents, while it can always take out PH users on the switch, although, who would be stupid enough to just switch in their PH user without using a slow U-turn/Volt Switch? 248 HP gives you a large amount of bulk while allowing you to take out Bisharp, although it really doesn't make THAT big of a difference. With 136 Defense, he can tank literally every semi-common attack Bisharp carries. U-turn always is nice to allow you to pivot, while Slack Off is nice recovery. 44 Speed allows Infernape to outspeed Jolly Bisharp, while the bulk can allow it to switch in on Adamant Bisharp. It is nice to have a fallback plan if the set the Bisharp is running isn't what you think it is.

You think this set has to be wary of Bisharp carrying Psycho Cut? Oh please!

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 136 Def Infernape: 159-187 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not as much as you thought, right?

Now for the more silly set:

Azumarill @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpA
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Scald
- Perish Song

This set is designed to take on Stallbreaking Fighting types without much pain. Basically, Scald can burn them, Substitute and Protect an help stall them out, while Perish Song is always a nice way to get rid of their potential SD boosts. The investment allows me to wall them for as long as necessary without being forced out and, thus, have a better chance of burning or beating them.

Edit: I got the calc of Bisharp's Psycho Cut v Infernape wrong, just fixed it.

Last edited:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Electric]

This is a very strange set that I used on a semi-stall team in order to trap all varients of ferrothorn and skarmory, along with every other relavant steel type other than +2 bisharp (although I wasn't aiming to trap that.) Basically, you switch in and taunt them. You then fire blast, and if they are flash fire then hit them with earth power or HP Electric. Taunt when necessary. A very strange set, but it is the best magnet pull pokemon imo. Evs are pretty basic, feel free to tweak them.

Jirachi @ Iron Plate/Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: null Spe
- Doom Desire
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect

This set is extremely fun to use; I'm sure I'm not the one who first came up with it, but holy hell, this thing is so good. Tinted Lens Doom Desire hits like a truck on everything that isn't a special wall; that's where u-turn comes in. If you think a chansey or a snorlax is coming in, simply use your slow u-turn to get a safe switch in to your physical attacker, and watch as nothing; LITERALLY nothing tanks the series of hits (depending on what poke you use). For example, I run it alongside gale wings braviary to add pressure to most pokemon in the meta, and then most of its common switch-ins simply get obliterated by doom desire. However, your physical attacking slot is really for preference; if you want to ensure that absolutely nothing switches in, run tough claws heracross, whereas if you want a fast mon that applies lots of pressure, run gale wings.

And that's not where the set ends. This thing is an amazing wish passer because of the offensive pressure it provides, allowing you to get some mons back to full health at no opportunity cost. Protect is a multifunctional move that allows you to stall out doom desire as well as get your HP back from wish. Overall a really great pokemon that should be used more.

252+ SpA Iron Plate Tinted Lens Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 274-324 (71.3 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (that's a KO if it switches into braviary)
252+ SpA Iron Plate Tinted Lens Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 294-348 (91.3 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Iron Plate Tinted Lens Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 334-394 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Iron Plate Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 327-385 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

rawr (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Effective answer to bisharp

-1 252+ Atk Adaptability Bisharp Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 36-43 (10.5 - 12.6%) -- possible 8HKO
-1 252+ Atk Adaptability Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 44-52 (12.9 - 15.2%) -- possible 7HKO
-1 252+ Atk Adaptability Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 176-208 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Being able to effectively switch into bisharp, then set up a dragon dance while sponging up the sucker and iron head to revenge kill with eq is a gift. It comes in on tons of things that arent fighting types, and finds a ton of times to set up. Intimidate is usually ran on physical walls, but it's a really good ability to use offensively to set up on plenty of things. Even if checking bisharp isn't something you worry about, +1 tyranitar is something nobody wants to deal with, and flying types not named skarmory (who cares, skarmory has to whirlwind you out and then hope you dont go into a special attacker) can't handle the stone edge.

Also this.

252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 268-316 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The main check to this is fighting types pretty much. I've lost this thing too many times from overestimating it's bulk and thinking I can live a -1 close combat. Aside from that bulky water types like unaware CroCune and prankster users like Mew can stop me with a burn.

Overall this may not be the most creative set in this thread, but it it's an underrated set that doesn't see much usage.

rawr (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Effective answer to bisharp

-1 252+ Atk Adaptability Bisharp Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 36-43 (10.5 - 12.6%) -- possible 8HKO
-1 252+ Atk Adaptability Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 44-52 (12.9 - 15.2%) -- possible 7HKO
-1 252+ Atk Adaptability Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 176-208 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Being able to effectively switch into bisharp, then set up a dragon dance while sponging up the sucker and iron head to revenge kill with eq is a gift. It comes in on tons of things that arent fighting types, and finds a ton of times to set up. Intimidate is usually ran on physical walls, but it's a really good ability to use offensively to set up on plenty of things. Even if checking bisharp isn't something you worry about, +1 tyranitar is something nobody wants to deal with, and flying types not named skarmory (who cares, skarmory has to whirlwind you out and then hope you dont go into a special attacker) can't handle the stone edge.

Also this.

252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 268-316 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The main check to this is fighting types pretty much. I've lost this thing too many times from overestimating it's bulk and thinking I can live a -1 close combat. Aside from that bulky water types like unaware CroCune and prankster users like Mew can stop me with a burn.

Overall this may not be the most creative set in this thread, but it it's an underrated set that doesn't see much usage.
Problem is that it only works before mega evolving, and even then Bisharp will switch out, making it take a lot of time of which a more offensive Mega Tyranitar much better, but even then, Bisharp hates him.

Also, there is always the occasional Low Kick Bisharp would destroy that Tyranitar.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Bisharp Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 452-536 (132.5 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not to mention that Low Kick Bisharp is an excellent lure for checks like your Tyranitar. Overall, if you want to use Intimidate to check Bisharp, try my Infernape, although Blaziken can be used as a more offensive version (forgot to mention that, never tested it, will try sooner or later).

Edit: I forgot about how Bisharp holds a Life Orb in AAA, so now Mega Tyranitar is food for Bisharp, yum. Anyways, updated the calc. And, nice check. It can't switch in safely, but once he is in, Bisharp is screwed. You have to scout for Low Kick first to make sure Tyranitar is safe, though.

Last edited:
Problem is that it only works before mega evolving, and even then Bisharp will switch out, making it take a lot of time of which a more offensive Mega Tyranitar much better, but even then, Bisharp hates him.

Also, there is always the occasional Low Kick Bisharp would destroy that Tyranitar.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Bisharp Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 452-536 (132.5 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not to mention that Low Kick Bisharp is an excellent lure for checks like your Tyranitar. Overall, if you want to use Intimidate to check Bisharp, try my Infernape, although Blaziken can be used as a more offensive version (forgot to mention that, never tested it, will try sooner or later).

Edit: I forgot about how Bisharp holds a Life Orb in AAA, so now Mega Tyranitar is food for Bisharp, yum. Anyways, updated the calc. And, nice check. It can't switch in safely, but once he is in, Bisharp is screwed. You have to scout for Low Kick first to make sure Tyranitar is safe, though.
Actually I forgot to add that too. I was wondering why the damage was so low, just forgot to put that in the calc lol.

I think I'll post another set that's been serving me well (and which I posted in the ladder thread a while back, but it didn't get much attention there): No Guard Gengar.

Quickscoper (Gengar) @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp / Sludge Bomb

No Guardgar carries one of the fastest reliable non-Prankster sleep moves in the game, outsped naturally by nothing worth mentioning. Of course, most Prankster-Spore users are bloody obvious and lack offensive presence (save Breloom on that last point), so Gengar's niche is working as a fast sleep inducer where most people don't expect a fast sleep inducer, all while dishing out respectable damage. It also checks Bisharp, which seems to be a theme of this thread. Gengar's advantage in that department is that most Bisharps think that they can force Gengar out; even if they wake up as soon as possible and Sucker Punch you, rarely do they expect its sash.

With the ability to reliably status the opponent (and lacking the power of an SF-LO boost on Shadow Ball), this set appreciates Hex (SFLO Shadow Ball is actually only about 5% stronger on a statused opponent). It also takes a nice chunk out of some Poison Healers, and is surprisingly strong without the status boost. An accurate Focus Blast rounds out Gengar's coverage excellently -- between Hex and Focus Blast, staying in on Gengar while asleep is very rarely a good idea. The last slot is up for grabs; Will-O-Wisp, theoretically, is great for spreading status even while something else is asleep, but if the opponent lets their napping Pokemon stay in on it, Gengar has just wasted a precious turn of sleep. And Gengar really does not want to take more hits than it has to. Sludge Bomb should hit some opponents more powerfully than either (unboosted) Hex or Focus Blast, and has an inviting poison chance. But I haven't tested Gengar with Sludge Bomb, so.

EVs and Nature should be self-explanatory. Focus Sash lets Gengar serve as a reliable check to a variety of threats while at full health, but if you have your checking needs handled, Black Sludge probably works -- I personally found it underwhelming, though.

The set's biggest enemies are Magic Bouncers (for obvious reasons), scarfers (which bring it down to its sash, or kill it outright), and birds (which outspeed it and are often immune to Hex). As these are all common in the meta, scouting and team support are absolutely required, but you probably don't need to go too far out of your way to do it.

A funny set I've had quite a bit of success with:

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse

Paired with Staraptor or Braviary this thing becomes really good at getting surprise kills if your opponent doesn't see it coming. I like to put Raptor in my first team slot, lead with Heatran disguised as Raptor, watch them switch in Klefki or Mawile or Aegislash, etc, and laugh as it gets roasted, opening their team up for the actual birdspam later in the game. Helps that no one in their right mind is going to use EQ on what they think is a bird, or keep a Fighting-type in on it, which means it practically never gets OHKOed, giving it more chances to nuke stuff.

This setup does struggle with bulky waters somewhat, so you do need a check for that, but generally that's not most people's answer to birdspam in the first place, so.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gengar @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

After posting a shitty joke set (see second post), I decided to redeem myself with this. Gengar can easily stop sweepers like unaware suicune, and basically wrecks any slower mon than it, easily forcing out and subbing on mons like bisharp. SF gengar is quite popular so you can simply skill swap on the switch in then sub/fire off a free shadow ball. Not gonna put in calcs because it hits just as hard as normal gengar, but puts in a lot of work and can easily steal momentum and screw up stall teams. Skill swap also beats poison heal mons, as skill swapping them after 3 turns of being in makes them take toxic damage as if they had been in for 3 turns. Does get walled by chansey and bulletproof things that resist sludge wave if they switch back in, but so does SF Gar.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Today I build a team with imas234 centered around Nature Power spam. It seems gimmicky and it kinda is, but it's effective and caused me to win the first tourney I participated in. Above all, it's extremely fun to play with and a lot of people can attend that they are extremely powerful if they managed to set up. (like manu 11 )

Florges (F) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Copycat
- Nature Power
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This is the first set. Prankster is obviously to get priority Nature Power and Life Orb is for some extra power. EV's and nature are equally straightforward, though there might be a better EV Spread, but I really don't know what. You can speed creep for gale wings Skarm or Honchkrow, but it'd require a lot of speed. The crux of this set is of course Nature Power. Under normal conditions it changes into Tri Attack, which is a special Extreme Speed with lower priority but a special effect. Misty Terrain is an awesome move to use, as it will cause Nature Power to turn into Moonblast AND gives Fairy type moves a 50% boost in power, not only supporting Florges itself, but if you run Nature Power Spam (I ran 3 mons with Nature Power, one specs Heatran for just some priority that could get very powerful if I had a terrain up), you support your teammates as well. Copycat is from the old Prankster Copycat set and is useful here too, just because you can revenge opponents without priority. If you want you can use Moonblast to so you always have reliable STAB. Last slot is for HP Ground so Heatran doesn't annoy you as much, but you can use other moves too.

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Grassy Terrain
- Nature Power
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is my second set. I chose Exeggutor because it's a really powerful Pokemon with Grassy Terrain and Nature Power. There were other Pokemon too, but they had worse stats for this job. I was surprised as I never expected myself to use Exeggutor in AAA, but it's actually quite good. Just like the previous set, Grassy Terrain and Nature Power serve as powerful priority and a way to upgrade it. Psychic is a secondary, reliable STAB and Hidden Power Fire is just coverage for annoyances as Skarmory, but watch out for Flash Fire.
I don't think I need to explain this too much as I told p much everything at the last set. Don't believe it's powerful?

252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Cresselia under Grassy Terrain: 224-265 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde under Grassy Terrain: 227-269 (55.7 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew under Grassy Terrain: 251-296 (62.1 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Staraptor under Grassy Terrain: 231-273 (74.2 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Exeggutor Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill under Grassy Terrain: 434-512 (120.2 - 141.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edit: I know I have two sets, but they're very similar and are probably okay in one post

Today I build a team with imas234 centered around Nature Power spam. It seems gimmicky and it kinda is, but it's effective and caused me to win the first tourney I participated in. Above all, it's extremely fun to play with and a lot of people can attend that they are extremely powerful if they managed to set up. (like manu 11 )

Florges (F) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Copycat
- Nature Power
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Grassy Terrain
- Nature Power
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Edit: I know I have two sets, but they're very similar and are probably okay in one post
I guess this works, since they perform basically the same thing, but next time try to limit it to 1 set per post, as it makes it much easier for me to archive a set if you only post 1 at a time.

But yeah, I have used that Florges before, and it was definitely fun to use; a special 214 BP fairy priority move just hurts. Although you should probably put 52 EVs in speed to outspeed 8 speed Braviary, as that's certainly a common threat.

I have posted this set in the main AAA thread,but as i just found this one where it is more appropriate to post, i shall do so.

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Lava Plume
- Focus Blast/Extrasensory
This is a pretty cool set i have made which makes use of the loved lava honey badger that sucks, until AAA came to life! This set basically consists of Eruption spam and coverage, Eruption deals a crap ton of damage to basically anything, not many mons that resist it can tanka hit very well. Solar Beam is amazing coverage with fire type moves and packs a punch, 3rd spot is reserved for fire stab just incase you are low on hp and the last slot is for a random coverage move really, as typhlosion does not have many coverage options. Its the best Eruption spammer because it has decent special attack coupled with decent speed tier and can dish out some serious damage but it really needs rapid spin/defog/magic bounce support.

252+ SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos in Sun: 276-325 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos in Sun: 276-325 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Typhlosion Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 226-266 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 214-253 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Thanks for taking your time to read this :)

Florges (F) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Copycat
- Nature Power
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Grassy Terrain
- Nature Power
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The problem with that Florges set is that Misty Terrain does not, in fact, increase the power of Fairy-type moves. Of the three Terrain moves, it is the only one not to boost its associated type. Instead, it halves Dragon-type attacks used by or against grounded Pokémon. Grassy Terrain boosts your priority Energy Ball just fine, so there's that at least.

I have posted this set in the main AAA thread,but as i just found this one where it is more appropriate to post, i shall do so.

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Lava Plume
- Focus Blast/Extrasensory
This is a pretty cool set i have made which makes use of the loved lava honey badger that sucks, until AAA came to life! This set basically consists of Eruption spam and coverage, Eruption deals a crap ton of damage to basically anything, not many mons that resist it can tanka hit very well. Solar Beam is amazing coverage with fire type moves and packs a punch, 3rd spot is reserved for fire stab just incase you are low on hp and the last slot is for a random coverage move really, as typhlosion does not have many coverage options. Its the best Eruption spammer because it has decent special attack coupled with decent speed tier and can dish out some serious damage but it really needs rapid spin/defog/magic bounce support.

252+ SpA Typhlosion Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 226-266 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 214-253 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Thanks for taking your time to read this :)
Have you ever seen aesf's sun team? It consists of a Chlorotran that essentially does that Typhlosion's job BETTER when sun is up. Sure, sun has to be set up first, but it provides so much pressure that entire teams fall apart. Not to mention that it is used EVERYWHERE.

(Okay, just to make things clear, this is by no means a creative set, but definitely an underrated one)

Tired of Generic AAA Hyper Offense? Hate priority spam? Wanna rip out the souls of lucarios, dragonites, Braviaries, mamoswines, zygardes, snorlax, Terrakion, Mega Metagross, Skarmory, etc.? Then I have the set for you:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Basically made with half an ounce of creativity, but it's still easily the most reliable "catch-all" in existence. I honestly haven't seen anyone use it, and honestly, it really deserves more usage. Let's take a look at the generic hyper offense team, off the top of my head: Deoxys-S/Braviary/Mamoswine/Bisharp/Zapdos/Lucario. Out of those pokemon, Doublade beats 4 of them one on one (stops deo-s from getting up two hazards too). I really don't have to say much about this except that it's an excellent pokemon that beats some of the most problematic threats in the meta, because honestly, we really shouldn't have to deal with priority spam. And if this thing rises in usage, I can see priority spam being far, far, far less common.

No replays or calcs, but to be honest you have to try it for yourself to see how good this is. Okay, it's not nearly as creative as any of the other sets in this thread, but hell, it's underrated enough for me to post it.

Have you ever seen aesf's sun team? It consists of a Chlorotran that essentially does that Typhlosion's job BETTER when sun is up. Sure, sun has to be set up first, but it provides so much pressure that entire teams fall apart. Not to mention that it is used EVERYWHERE.
Never saw his/her team, but sounds like a big threat! The thing with this Typhlosion set is that you do not need sun up and you have an immunity to water types, so you can choose a team mate for your team that you really needed but that was weak to water, not to mention that this Typhlosion can counter any water type that doesnt have primordial sea and thats a big plus because water is a pretty common attacking type.

(Okay, just to make things clear, this is by no means a creative set, but definitely an underrated one)

Let's take a look at the generic hyper offense team, off the top of my head: Deoxys-S/Braviary/Mamoswine/Bisharp/Zapdos/Lucario. Out of those pokemon, Doublade beats 4 of them one on one (stops deo-s from getting up two hazards too). I really don't have to say much about this except that it's an excellent pokemon that beats some of the most problematic threats in the meta, because honestly, we really shouldn't have to deal with priority spam. And if this thing rises in usage, I can see priority spam being far, far, far less common.
I don't doubt that this is as effective at taking on individual physical attackers as you say it is (the calcs I've done thus far support this), but with no recovery to speak of, it's not going to be destroying Hyper Offense / priority spam teams -- not even ones that are running four non-Fire physical attackers :3

If this set does become popular, I should note that Refrigerate Entei doesn't break a bird-eating sweat decimating it with Sacred Fire.

What's the general viability of Megas with weather dependent abilities, with their pre mega forms with drought, Drizzle, and Sand stream?
I find Mega Houndoom not even need to invest in Sp Attack it hit quite hard and Sucker Punch and Pursuit are nice to have.

Mega Pert Sounds alright, A hard to switch in waterfall and the ability to be non flying fire type water absorbers is nice.

Mega Chomp and Mega Steelix have stupidly strong EQs.

But they do only get one to to set up it so they sound gimmicky to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)