AAA Almost Any Ability

Didn't you hear the news? We're all switching to Terrak

I want to talk about another team archetype I have been having fun with (especially since the Gengar ban): Trick Room.

Disclosure first: Trick Room is never going to be the most consistent strategy. At the end of the day, you're relying on a field condition that lasts four turns and have no way to extend it or auto-set it. If you pivot to wallbreakers, you really only have three turns to do damage. There will be several times per match that Trick Room ends, and a skilled opponent can take advantage of that.

However, Trick Room gets some notable buffs in AAA that I think make it viable (both in improved setters and higher-damage abusers), and it catches a lot of teams flat-footed. Common walls like Corv, pink blobs, Swampert, Toxapex, and Tapu Fini all struggle against the insane damage output of these wallbreakers, and offensive teams have no hope of switching in safely. I have been able to successfully ladder back into the 1500s with a Trick Room team, and I would love to get feedback from others on how it could be improved/have more discussion about lesser-used strategies that are still viable.

I think there are three parts to a successful Trick Room team: the setters, the abusers, and the cleaner. The team composition I have been enjoying success with recently is two setters, three wallbreakers, and one cleaner.

The Setters

As my previous post suggested, I love slow pivoting in AAA. Most of the Trick Room wallbreakers are frail or have common weaknesses (or both), so getting them in safely is helpful. In order to still be slow once Trick Room is up, that pretty much limits us to mons that learn Trick Room and Teleport. Thankfully, there are several good ones:

All four of these mons are bulky, learn Trick Room and Teleport, and have access to reliable recovery. This makes them excellent candidates to set Trick Room and Teleport to a wallbreaker safely. Whichever ones you choose their move sets will be similar: Trick Room, Teleport, Recovery, and token attack. You do have flexibility in item choice as well (except for Porygon2 who needs Eviolite): Leftovers for Recovery, Mental Herb to shake off Taunt, Focus Sash to take one hit and set up, etc. The team I run uses Slowbro and Porygon2, but there is a good argument for all of them

The two most consistent abilities I have found for the Trick Room setters are Regenerator and Magic Bounce. Regenerator obviously helps keep your setters alive to get Trick Room up multiple times each, while Magic Bounce prevents you from being Taunted (which otherwise ruins any of these mons). Other standard defensive abilities like Intimidate or Magic Guard or even Sturdy can be used, but I have found those two to be the most reliably useful.

The Wallbreakers

Please enjoy the raw damage output that is Tinted Lens, Choice Band Gyro Ball from Stakataka against some of the best physical walls in the game right now:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Stakataka Gyro Ball (141 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 264-312 (66 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Stakataka Gyro Ball (129 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Swampert: 380-448 (94 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 265-313 (77 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Stakataka Gyro Ball (98 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 142-168 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO (Earthquake is a guaranteed 2HKO)
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 246-288 (63.7 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 423-498 (100.7 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tinted Lens allows it to blast through steel resists like Corv and Swampert that normally could handle it comfortably (it should be noted that Intimidate Corv manages to avoid the 2HKO). The rest of Stakatak's moveset can be tailored around what you are weakest to: Earthquake helps with Tox, Superpower helps with Ferro, Heat Crash beats even Intimidate Corv, etc. But the bread and butter of this mon is Tinted Lens Gyro Ball.

It may be tempting to put Steelworker as the ability instead, but Stakataka already has enough power to destroy non-resists and appreciates the extra damage against resists. Trick Room turns are precious, and having Stakataka locked into a not-very-effective coverage move because you mispredicted the switch is devastating.

Ghost+Fire has amazing coverage, and with Poltergiest and Flare Blitz both being 110+ BP coming off of 568 Attack with STAB and Adaptability, it hits things hard. It lacks the raw power of Stakataka, but comes close and offers the flexibility of not being choice locked. Marowak also resists most of the common priority types, which can help against Triage.

Both of Marowak's main STAB moves have drawbacks (90% accuracy+needing item or recoil), so running Shadow Bone or Fire Punch in the other move slots can provide safer alternatives when you don't need all that power. Earthquake can nail Pex as well, Low Kick can hit...something? Maybe? Really Flare Blitz+Poltergiest will carry the bulk of the work.

If you find yourself relying on Flare Blitz, you will eventually kill yourself to recoil. But the raw damage is worth it, and if you die to recoil, you've probably killed or irreversibly crippled 2-3 mons on the other side.

252+ Atk Thick Club Adaptability Marowak-Alola Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 246-290 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Adaptability Marowak-Alola Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 294-346 (72.7 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Adaptability Marowak-Alola Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 248-294 (72 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Adaptability Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 548-646 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 184-218 (60.5 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Poltergeist is actually slightly stronger, but the 90% accuracy bites if they're Recover-stalling you)

Slowking-G under Trick Room becomes Sheer Force Gengar (but with a better speed tier). Psychic+Sludge Wave has pretty good coverage and tremendous power, most importantly destroying Toxapex. Nasty Plot+Focus Blast also allows you to break through non-Unaware pink blobs and Corv, who otherwise would be problematic for this set.

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Slowking-Galar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 546-645 (77.6 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (both Psychic and Sludge Wave have a chance to 2HKO)
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Slowking-Galar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Corviknight: 448-529 (112 - 132.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Slowking-Galar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 413-486 (120 - 141.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The Cleaner

A common occurrence is after you've set Trick Room 2-3 times, crippled or eliminated their best walls, and burned through your wallbreakers, you find yourself with a weakened opponent's team and Trick Room down. This is where a cleaner is handy, and Tapu Bulu makes a fantastic cleaner. Once Tapu's hard counters (especially Corv) are defeated, it can often easily mop up what's left between it's high attack and +3 priority Horn Leech. You may also need to bring out Bulu early if your opponent catches you with Trick Room down since everything else on the team is slow as dirt.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1358577525-bme8g1bimub65z62ymnc9vmqybw57r8pw An early version of this team that shows Staka breaking the physical walls and Maro cleaning up
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1358594132 Maro picking its way through the entire opposing team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1358800848-w7pps70n51hxqs868eykuviso2vhhl1pw Staka putting on a one-man show tearing through an offensive team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1359210937-1e5rq1u4i3i1tg0cso3hqkwghydctw9pw The team even has power to break through stallier teams
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1359204228 Staka making sure Bulu's checks are out of the way before it finishes up

Threats to Trick Room

Trick Room only lasting four turns--no matter what, you're going to have several times per game where Trick Room ends. Good opponents will be looking to take advantage of those turns to set up/bring in their own wall breakers/etc. These will be the most dangerous turns of the match, and positioning yourself to deny their set-up sweepers or hit their wallbreakers will be critical.

Dark types--especially Weavile and Bisharp. All of the common setters are Psychic type or rely on Eviolite and are crippled by Knock Off. They tend to be found on more offensive teams, so maximizing the damage your wallbreakers do while Trick Room is up is vital because you won't be able to set it as much.

Taunt--unless your Trick Room setter is Magic Bounce (or holding a Mental Herb once), Taunt completely shuts down the setters.

Very slow opposing walls--they take less damage from Gyro Ball and in some cases (Ferro and Slowbro/king) can also under-speed Marowak and Knock Off/Scald before it KOs them. These add another level of mind games to the matchup, but can all still be beaten with the right moves.

Powerful wallbreakers--they will likely have several times per match they can get in for free when Trick Room ends. This can create some difficult 50-50s that favor the opponent: switching your own wallbreaker out a turn early so its in when Trick Room ends vs nabbing one more KO? Attacking with your wallbreaker after Trick Room ends to deny set up vs switching and trying to get it up again?

Substitute Blacephalon--this thing has almost made me give up Trick Room lol. Trick Room does NOT have any good answers to this thing.

Priority--obviously priority attacks bypass Trick Room, but I have yet to be overwhelmed by priority attackers. Maro resists all of the Triage types, and Staka has more than enough physical bulk to handle Sucker Punch or Galvanize Extreme Speed. You also have your own priority in Tapu, but well played priority mons can still bypass the speed disadvantage.

Here is a pastebin of the team I have been using most recently. I would love feedback on how it can be improved, strategies to defeat Trick Room in general, or other strategies that are less common but you have found viable!
Most trick room teams seem to have 4 or 5 mons in common. Granted it's not much more diverse in standard, but there's really not that much room to fiddle with it, some mons are just better.

In particular I think you need Wak and Stak offensively, and Porygon + Slowbro are almost always the pivot because of how well they complement eachother, there's not a great alternative combination to run really. And Bulu is almost always the best cleaner as it can perform under Trick Room mid game while also cleaning late game.
It's nice to see Tinted Stak tho, steelworker is so traditional at this point that I wouldn't even have considered running smt else on it.

Trick Room became much better when PH was banned and ppl stopped spamming protect every other turn. But there's still a fair few things I consistently struggle to deal with and they're not necessarily the same as you've highlighted.

Pex is imo the biggest problem, bar none. I don't think any TR mon appreciates losing their item, Stak and Marowak almost become non-threats afterwards. And it has an unrivaled ability to stall turns doing nothing. It's a very hard mon to wear down.
Slowking probably helps with this, I've also had success with Xurkitree under Trick Room as it has much more initial power than Slowking does (Cleanly 2HKOs Blissey without boosts). I haven't actually found many more options that beat it well.

Bulu is the biggest pain among priority mons, it can easily slowball to taking down the entire team if you're not careful as it has good MU against both TR setters. I think that's one of the biggest advantages of Slowking, checking this thing.

Btw you can beat sub Blace with Bonemerang Marowak.

All being said, it seems to me that most ppl who will try to dive in TR as an archetype will make similar conclusions and the finals team are always pretty much the same. That makes it so TR isn't super hard to accommodate for by other teams when building. Intim min speed Corv can very well take on Stakataka andstill be healthy enough for Bulu for example and it's a very spashable mon. Marowak is the true unwallable in TR imo.

Nice to you wrote everything down so neatly tho, hopefully it can help new ppl into trying out different styles and ways to play.

My post above is literally 1 line and has garnered more likes than the actual post, cmon guys support quality posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey there everyone, i'm new to this OM but i wanted to show off a cool set i've been having fun with on the ladder

:arctovish:
Arctovish @ Choice Band
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Icicle Crash
- Psychic Fangs
- Freeze-Dry

when first looking into this OM i was interested in getting an arctovish set to work, though it seemed like the only discussion was about using him on inconsistent rain teams. the idea of this set is to find switches into some of the various walls of the tier via pivot moves or just hard switching on a prediction. it might seem odd to go for band + adamant but i find arctovish is so slow that it's best to prey on walls that are incredibly sluggish regardless.

252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn in Heavy Rain: 174-205 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Heavy Rain: 141-167 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert in Heavy Rain: 412-486 (101.9 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight in Heavy Rain: 372-438 (93 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

i don't have any replays on me rn so just trust me that he clicks fishious rend and it's funny. he's almost a total liability against more offensive teams (unless you bluff a scarf set :blobthinking:) but against bulkier builds he can do some alright work. a jolly nature is also an option as it allows you to outspeed uninvested tapu fini, though the power loss against toxapex is especially notable. prankster walls also stop this set completely, it's just impossible to compete with a priority recover not only making your fishious rend weaker but also healing off the little damage it does. still, it's loads of fun to send him in on like a predicted swampert lead or corviknight defog and instantly taking something out.

thanks for reading! :blobnom:

Arctovish without external rain support is definitely a peculiar thing to run. The garbage speed tier and lack of defensive utility makes it harder to justify then some other, more consistent breakers such as Blacephalon or Terrakion.

But on second thought... that calc of it OHKOing Swampert is definitely interesting... if only there was a way to use Arctovish's garbage speed tier to its advantage... perhaps a way that was mentioned in this thread not too long ago :blobthinking:

Couple comparison calcs for reference:
252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert in Heavy Rain: 412-486 (101.9 - 120.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert in Heavy Rain: 232-274 (57.4 - 67.8%)
252+ Atk Thick Club Adaptability Marowak-Alola Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 294-346 (72.7 - 85.6%)

So Arct hits about ~1.4 times harder than what is typically the most powerful mon on a given TR team, and almost twice as hard than the physical water coverage ppl typically prepare for. This means a team prepared for Barra isn't necessarily prepared for Arctovish at all.

Better yet, Arctovish actually has options. The other day I mentioned that Toxapex was hard to deal with for TR because of Knock Off and Prankster Recover being able to Stall out TR. But Arctovish is peak Toxapex bait.

:ss/Arctovish:
Arctovish @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fishious Rend
- Whirlpool
- Psychic Fangs
- Freeze-Dry
Arctovish @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Whirlpool
- Substitute
- Freeze-Dry
Strong Jaw keeps the same power as Primordial Sea but can hit Pex way harder. While adapt is a bit weaker, but can take advantage of a more powerful Freeze Dry, meaning it handles Toxapex much better (The woke pex player runs min speed Knock Off to underspeed Marowak, meaning Strong Jaw Fish gets stalled, but adapt fish still beats easily).

252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Arctovish Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 164-195 (53.9 - 64.1%)
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Arctovish Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 126-150 (41.4 - 49.3%)

252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Arctovish Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 213-255 (70 - 83.8%)
252 SpA Adaptability Arctovish Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 164-196 (53.9 - 64.4%)

But I think I like Arctozolt even more on TR because of its ability to beat most common electric counterplay in the tier.
:ss/Arctozolt:
Arctozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Freeze-Dry
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Swampert: 676-801 (167.3 - 198.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 499-593 (118.8 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 520-614 (136.1 - 160.7%)
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 322-385 (79.7 - 95.2%) This one is a bit disappointing ngl.

I haven't actually tried them yet but it would probably work aight in TR. At least Zolt isn't hard walled by Heatran (or much else really). Might get around to building with it eventually.

Is there a discussion regarding what abilities actually get banned/suspect? I feel like Primordial Sea and Desolate Land both should not be available for use.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Is there a discussion regarding what abilities actually get banned/suspect? I feel like Primordial Sea and Desolate Land both should not be available for use.

Hi! Currently, there aren't any abilities on the table for ban/suspect--in fact, our watchlist consists of nothing but Pokemon. Could you elaborate on why you believe Primordial Sea and Desolate Land should be banned?

Drizzle and Drought are fine but the side effect of those super-powered variants negating moves entirely is what I feel should be removed. Besides the fact that a common use is to put them on things like Ferrothorn to completely remove it's weaknesses, if something like Neutralizing Gas is banned (which it should not be, because it can be used to shut down some really broken combos like Entei+Sacred Fire+Serene Grace being absurd) why the abilities that completely invalidate entire type pools should be permitted to be used.

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
We also allow abilities like Water Absorb and Flash Fire which provide immunities. Flash Fire is also probably a better ability for Ferrothron anyway since it does not announce itself and Ferro gets no other benefits from rain anyway. Primordial Sea and Desolate Land are both good abilities, but they're used more for their offensive ability (increased damage, accuracy, and charge turns) than defensive. Obviously Heatran also appreciates the water immunity too.

Both of the abilities are good, but there is a lot of counter play to them. Opposing mega weathers can completely shut them down, and the common users (Heatran, Zapdos, Barra, etc.) all have viable checks and counters. The abilities are good and useful, but I would not say they are overcentralizing, overpowered, or even especially difficult to build for.

As for why Neutralizing Gas is banned you can read the full rationale from the Council here, but the TL:DR is that it was very overcentralizing and kinda shut down the whole point of this meta.

Drizzle and Drought are fine but the side effect of those super-powered variants negating moves entirely is what I feel should be removed. Besides the fact that a common use is to put them on things like Ferrothorn to completely remove it's weaknesses, if something like Neutralizing Gas is banned (which it should not be, because it can be used to shut down some really broken combos like Entei+Sacred Fire+Serene Grace being absurd) why the abilities that completely invalidate entire type pools should be permitted to be used.
As UnnerfTalonflame just pointed out, neutralizing gas is not legal because it largely invalidates the purpose of the metagame, far more so that something like Mold Breaker does. However, there are other, more specialized tools you can use to replicate most of the effects you would really need it for. For instance, Sheild Dust is even better against Serene Grace Entei, as rather than revert it to 50% chance it cancels the burn entirely, and also blocks a bunch of other rng reliant strategies like Serene Grace or Kings Rock flinches, fishing for scald burns, and ice beam freezes. Alternatively, you could block it indirectly with Magic Guard, which not only counteracts the burn damage but also poison, leech seed, entry hazards, and recoil damage, or perhaps with Natural Cure, which also allows you to use Rest as a low drawback healing move. Most of these don’t see a ton of usage atm, but that’s more because people don’t tend to use serene grace and the like too much at high level play, rather than because they don’t work, so they can function well for your purpose.

For other abilities, you can use stuff like Mold Breaker to bypass immunity abilities like volt absorb, your own primordial weather to cancel theirs out, or stuff like Wandering Spirit and Mummy to shut down lots of abilities if they make contact. This can allows stuff like Volcarona to counter, say, primordial sea Barraskewda, by replacing its heavy rain with harsh sunshine on the switch-in, despite being a fire type.

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
I was very excited to see the OMPL AAA games this weekend to get some insights to the post-Archeops metagame, and they did not disappoint. Because I have too much free time on my hands, I wanted to do a write-up on the games and overall trends I saw.

Osake vs MZ (94 turns)

This was the opening AAA match of the week, and it was a great battle. From team preview, both teams have several dangerous mons that will be hard to play around.

Osake's Terrakion in particular looms large. MZ's best switch-in to it will likely be Corv, and assuming it is Adaptability + Choice Band, that's not even a good switch: -1 252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 182-216 (45.5 - 54%) -- 46.1% chance to 2HKO. Volcarona also stands out as a solid win condition; Osake will need to figure out if MZ carries a scarfer (both Zap and Latios are good candidates that could revenge at +1) and if Blissey can stop it; if the Volcarona is Magic Guard and the Blissey carries Toxic instead of Thunder Wave, it is not a check at all. Other match-ups, Volcarona may need Blissey removed too. Moltres and Jirachi are both likely more defensive options and probably pivots, with super useful defensive typings.

MZ's team also carries several dangerous threats. In particular I'm SUPER excited to see what Copperajah can do. It's the only mon on either team to not show up on the AAA VR, but with 130 base attack, high BP moves like Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, it has real potential as a slow wall breaker. I would guess it's set is MGLO from team preview, but it could be anything. Latios and G-Zapdos are other potent threats; I'm willing to bet at least one is a scarfer. I'm also interested to see how many of MZ's mons can pivot; Corv, Blissey and Tapu Koko are obvious ones and G-Zap often carries U-Turn. I'm a big fan of pivoting in AAA, and especially with the powerful attackers on both sides I think that could be valuable.

Turn 1: Osake leads with his Fini and MZ leads with Copperajah; likely fearing a scald, MZ switches to Koko, who gets his Life Orb knocked off (strongly suggesting an MGLO set, or now just MG)
Turn 2: Osake switches to Jirachi, which takes next to nothing from a Thunderbolt; this strongly suggests an Assault Vest on Jirachi, so it's probably RegenVest. Depending on the Latios set, this could be really good news for MZ; Vest Jirachi is a great check to Latios, but struggles to do damage back if Latios carries Calm Mind.
Turn 4: MZ hard-switches in Corv which shows itself to be Dauntless Shield with Leftovers, while Osake U-Turns to Desolate Land Volcarona. DS Corv at least kinda-sorta switches into Terrakion, while the lack of Magic Guard on Volc means either Toxic or Thunder Wave Blissey can threaten it.
Turns 5-7: Blissey comes in and tanks the Fire Blast, and then Soft-Boils the damage while Osake goes to Fini; MZ then goes to Koko who takes nothing from Knock Off (the Blissey being at full health denies us the chance to see if it is Regenerator).
Turn 8: Both sides hard switch and we get Copperajah in against Jirachi (that's two hard-switches by Koko, does it not carry U-turn or Volt Switch?)
Turn 9: Jirachi U-Turns to Fini, which does NOT appreciate the Heavy Slam from Copper. Without knowing the exact sets it's hard to tell what exactly the sets are, but I'm sticking with MGLO unless otherwise proven.
Turn 10: MZ predicts the Corv switching and greats it with Heat Crash (definitely not choiced), doing 48%. Corv is an Intimidate set with Leftovers.
Turn 13: After several turns of Roosting for slightly more health than Heat Crash does, Osake goes to Moltres while MZ sets rocks. No Desolate Land appears, so this is likely a Magic Guard set.
Turn 14: MZ brings in Blissey while Osake U-Turns and brings in Corv. I know this is back-seat driving, but I am surprised to not see Terrakion here. This is a very safe switch in for it, and nothing on MZ's team can stomach a Close Combat or Stone Edge.
Turn 17: After a few turns Defogging/setting more rocks, the Moltres aims a Flare Blitz at Copper and gets Blissey instead. Significantly, it takes recoil damage, so not Magic Guard. And it shouldn't be Regenerator since Fini and Jirachi are...I'm at a loss here.
Turn 19: More shuffling, and Moltres comes in (without having regenerated health, so no idea on its ability) and catches a Power Whip from Copper. Honestly, no idea why MZ went with Power Whip since everything on Osake's team is hit harder by Heavy Slam.
Turn 22: G-Zap makes it's first appearance and immediately U-turns out as Jirachi comes in. The U-Turn damage is consistent with no boosting ability or item, so this is probably our Choice Scarf mon (best guess for ability is Adapt or Regen; Copper and Koko should both be Magic Guard ruling that out)
Turn 25: Latios makes it's debut and hits Jirachi on the switch with Psyshock. We don't see LO recoil, which means this might be Choice Specs, but I have another theory: 252 SpA Soul Dew Adaptability Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 52-62 (12.8 - 15.3%). If this is the set, I love the idea as it helps preserve longevity while still maintaining power.
Turn 28: Koko lands a paralysis on Jirachi with Thunderbolt. Wonder if that will matter later.
Turn 31: G-Zap takes a U-turn from Jirachi, this will maybe help us tell if its regen.
Turn 32: MZ hard-switches in to a Defogging Corv. I will touch on this more later, but this means Heat Crash will 2HKO since Intimidate is not in effect.
Turn 33: Blissey is confirmed regenerator as it continues to badly check Moltres.
Turn 34: Latios Draco Meteor's Jirachi, which does way too little damage for my theory. Back to the drawing board.
Turn 39: Fini is revealed to be Choice Scarf as it Tricks it onto Corv.
Turn 41: MZ hard-switches Koko against Jirachi's U-turn, allowing Osake to safely bring in Terrakion against Copper. MZ has some hard choices here with no rock resists and a crippled Corv.
Turn 42: MZ goes to G-Zap (who was not full health, so not Regen) and takes 72% on the resisted Close Combat (confirming Adapt+Band). MZ either has scarf on Zap, or is really bluffing that he does. (Osake switches out next turn)
Turn 43-51: Osake has a hard time forcing Koko off the field with Rachi and Fini, as neither can out-damage it's Roost recovery (it also gets burned by Scald and takes no damage, confirming MG).
Turn 52: MZ hard-switches to G-Zap who is promptley KOed by Scald (crit did not matter). I'm very surprised by this move, as Blissey seems like a very safe switch-in to Fini who has been Scalding several turns in a row. I can only guess a predicted switch did not materialize, and am again wondering about the lack of U-turn on Koko.
Turns 54-56: Blissey stays in on Rachi to use Seismic Toss, only to be greeted with a U-turn into Terrakion. Now MZ has to deal with Terrakion again, this time choosing to sacrifice his crippled Corv. I feel like this would have been a good time to Teleport, as it would have under-sped U-turn to with the pivot turns.
Turn 57: Latios comes in to force out Terrakion, but instead of attacking uses Calm Mind. Terrakion is switched out to bring in Corv.
Turn 58: MZ gets his first KO of the match as Corv falls to Draco Meteor. The damage is consistent with an Adaptability boost without a boosting item, but I am still not fully sure what the set is here.
Turns 59 and 60: Volcarona comes in to set up Quiver Dance, but is forced out by the threat of Blissey's Toxic.
Turn 62: Blissey stays in again on Rachi who U-turns into Terrakion. However, Terrakion goes for Stone Edge, which misses Copperajah (which would have KOed unless Copper had bulk investment)
Turns 65 and 66: MZ tries to bring Blissey into Moltres, who U-turns to Terrakion. This time Stone Edge lands and KOs Copperajah.
Turns 67 and 68: Latios comes in, forces Terrakion to Fini, who takes 57% from Psyshock. Without its scarf, it gets 2HKOed.
Turn 69: Volcarona comes in, and MZ goes for the Draco Meteor, which KOes from full (without knowing the set, this may have been a roll. My best guess (Adapt without boosting item) is a 25% chance to OHKO no bulk Volc)
Turn 70: Terrakion cannot take a -2 Psyshock from 70% and is also KOed (again, this may have been a roll, it may not have been)
Turns 71-94: At this point the battle is functionally over, all MZ has to do is Calm Mind against Rachi (who can't outdamage Roost) up to +6, and then end the game).

Both sides brought 2 attackers between 100 and 110 base speed, highlighting the still-fast-but-not-uber-fast attackers that are more free post-Archeops. In fact Tapu Koko was the only mon present that had a higher base speed than Archeops.

Terrakion is a huge threat. Rock + Fighting has amazing coverage, and it's Stone Edge is almost as powerful as Archeop's Head Smash (and Close Combat is actually more powerful). As we saw in this battle, even if the opponent guesses right and switches in a resist, the resist can still take a huge chunk of damage (G-Zapdos was effectively taken out of commission by a resisted move, and Copperajah was KOed). I was very impressed by Terrakion in this battle, and have been since the ban.

Latios is also a major threat. I am still curious exactly what item and ability MZ ran, but it has several good options (Adaptability, Tinted Lens, Magic Guard, Dragon's Maw). I'm also intrigued by the idea of running Adaptability + Soul Dew with the moveset MZ ran; it would give it a good amount of power without dealing with Life Orb recoil. It's 110 base speed tier is still amazing, and will only be more amazing if we see the meta slow down slightly.

I am starting to come around on Dauntless Shield over Intimidate for Corviknight. Twice in this battle, MZ was able to pivot in Copperajah on Corv and threaten it with a 2HKO it could not have if it was Dauntless. Also, against set up sweepers, Dauntless actually preforms slightly better:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 181-214 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 34.8% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 204-242 (51 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk Kommo-o Thunder Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 272-320 (68 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+5 252 Atk Kommo-o Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 354-418 (88.5 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Intimidate is still good as well, especially if you're going to be aggressive about pivoting since you can hand off a weaker attacker to something else. But I am starting to think Dauntless has more use cases than I gave it credit for.

Pivoting continues to be an excellent way to gain momentum in AAA. Osake brought Terrakion in safely several times using a slow U-Turn, and MZ also used U-turn and Teleport effectively to bring in better matchups.

Coopearjah was fun and it's always exciting to see new mons. It put in decent work, but I kept feeling like I was watching a slightly-inferior Stakataka. It does have the ability to outspeed a lot of walls, and pure steel is a better defensive typing than steel/rock, which is nice, but I feel like the extra power of Gyro Ball is better. I may play around with it more and see if I change my mind.

I know this is backseat driving and both of these players are much better than me, but I feel like Osake could have been more aggressive with Terrakion earlier. It was such a huge problem for MZ's team (and most teams) and didn't even take the field for the first time until turn 41. Specifically turn 14, where Jircahi gets a slow U-turn off on Blissey, or turn 17 Moltres could have U-turned on Copper predicting the switch, could have gotten Terrakion in much earlier and really put stress on MZ's team.

Fc vs motherlove (20 turns)

motherlove's team stands out as a priority grass spam team. Zarude and Rillaboom almost certainly carry Grassy Glide and Tapu Bulu is likely the standard Triage Horn Leech set. The strategy is pretty clear; all three of these mons have similar checks, so overwhelm the checks with too many threats and try to break through. Slowbro is likely a terrain-setting pivot to boost/enable the attackers, and Tapu Koko is good speed control and also annoys several of the common grass checks (namely Corv). On team preview I have no idea what Metagross is supposed to do, but maybe we'll find out.

Fc's team is a little more standard, but includes several mons with very varied potential sets. Mew is likely defensive, but the exact flavor remains to be seen. My guess is we're looking at Regenerator Scarf Lando-T, Magic Guard offensive Cob, and Choice Specs Primordial Sea Prima, which all exert significant offensive pressure while having useful and complimentary defensive typings. Blissey should be our standard teleport pivot, and Genesect as always could be anything.

Genesect and Cobalion are going to be the key to this match; they both resist grass (4x in Gene's case) and are huge blockers to grass spam. motherlove will need to break through those to get a clear path for whichever grass spammer is still alive at that point.

Turn 1: Sure enough, Slowbro is a grassy terrain setter, and motherlove wastes no time in getting terrain up. Fc leads with Mew, who's ability is not announced right away. Slowbro takes a Wisp and Teleports to get Koko in, who is Primordial Sea.
Turn 2: Mew attempts to Wisp again (clearly predicting a switch) which misses while Koko fires off a LO Thunder for 49% and lands a paralysis. Mew has just announced itself as Prankster, which is normally a big problem for physical offensive teams. However Bulu's +3 priority will still outspeed Mew, and Zarude is immune to Prankster so really only Rillaboom (and probably Metagross? Still don't know what it does) have to worry about it.
Turn 3: never mind, Mew's Wisp goes after Koko's Thunder with the paralysis, so it's not Prankster. Is this the world's slowest Koko? I'm officially confused here. Anyway, Mew is down to 11%, but at least it finally burned Koko.
Turn 4: Fc switches to Lando who takes 47% from a Grass Knot, perfectly consistent with no-bulk-investment Lando.
Turn 5: motherlove switches to Rilla who takes 59% from a U-Turn and is now up against Cob. This is a bad matchup for Rilla.
Turn 6: Rilla is promptly KOed by Steel Beam. Confirmed we are seeing offensive Magic Guard Cob.
Turns 7-8: Koko comes in and Fc safely switches to Blissey, who is tickled by Grass Knot. It is then tickled again as it Teleports to Lando (if Blissey is Regenerator, it will be full health next time we see it). Terrain ends.
Turn 9: Slowbro comes in to re-set terrain, and Lando U-turns to bring in Gene.
Turn 10: Gene KOs Slowbro with Energy Ball. No LO recoil, I would guess this is a SFLO Gene at this point. Tapu Koko comes in.
Turn 11: Koko Thunders Gene for 89% and a para, and Gene KOs back with Ice Beam. Did motherlove EV his Koko to be 327 speed, which would underspeed a max speed Mew like we saw on turn 2, but still outspeed Gene, which is a cool tech? Or am I completely missing something from turn 2? Either way this is a big win for motherlove as now the 4x grass resist is crippled an unable to stop grass spam. Zarude comes in.
Turn 12: Gene dies to Power Whip, Cob comes in.
Turn 13: Cob does 98% to Zarude with Close Combat (if it's standard MGLO from the VR with only 4 attack investment, this never OHKOs. If FC invested, this may have been a roll), but Zarude's Power Whip in return misses. Without knowing Zarude's exact set we can't say exactly what it would have done, but even without a boosting ability or item it should be about 50%, so this is a significant miss.
Turn 14: Cob Volt Switches to finish off Zarude and bring in Blissey (who is not full health, so not regen). motherlove brings in Metagross, who consumes grassy seed to boost defense. Looks like an Unburden Metagross, which is a cool tech that threatens a lot of teams.
Turn 15: Metagross uses Iron Defense (I guess to protect against priority? Or he knows Scarf Lando still outspeeds him, which would be odd?) and Blissey tries to Thunder Wave, which misses. Payback for the Power Whip I guess.
Turn 16: Ah, Body Press, that would make sense with Iron Defense. Blissey is dead, and Prima comes in.
Turn 17: Metagross can only deal 78% with Meteor Mash and falls to Weather Ball, which OHKOs from full. #givePrimarinaMoreRespect
Turn 18: Bulu SDs on Weather Ball, trading 70% of it's HP for +2 attack. Worth it.
Turn 19: Surprisingly, Prima cannot take a +2 Horn Leech at 30% health. Cob comes in.
Turn 20: Bulu only does 43% to Cob who promptly KOes back to end the match.

This match was much closer than it looked. On Turn 13, if Zarude's Power Whip hits, it does a minimum of 45% to Colb, and that's with no boosting item or ability. If Zarude was Choice Banded (which there is a good chance it was) or had an ability that boosted damage by ~30% like Adaptability, that leaves Colb in range to be KOed by +2 Bulu and completely changes the end game. Of course Fc may have played differently knowing his Colb was weakened, but it's not like his team was swimming in other Bulu checks.

I'm really curious about the Koko that undersped Mew, outsped paralyzed Mew, and outsped Gene. The only theory I have is that Mew was max speed, and the Koko was EVed to exactly 327 speed. When I first watched this battle I was baffled why Fc let his Genesect get crippled by Koko since it's his best answer to grass spam, but if he thought Gene outsped it all makes sense. Unless I am missing something, that's a cool tech on Koko to lure Gene and cripple it for your grass spammers.

I'm generally a big fan of stacking mons with similar checks like motherlove did and trying to beat down their shared checks. Especially in a metagame as fast-paced as AAA, it can be hard for checks to find a chance to recover. Grass spam is especially interesting since it has a boosting terrain, priority, and high-damage attackers. However, 8 of the A-or-higher ranked mons resist grass, and 4 of those are quad-resists, so it's not exactly hard to build a team that has multiple checks to grass. Corv in particular is concerning since it also has reliable recovery. I would be curious to play with this team more and see how it holds up.

Metagross is a cool Unburden mon since it's steel typing and high defenses help resist priority. It feels like a cleaner though, and Bulu is already an amazing cleaner, so I would probably rather have another wallbreaker in its place.

Fc's team was much more standard, but again we see the trend of 99-110 base speed attackers (Gene and Cob) and overall less investment in sturdy physically defensive walls. Fc's defensive core (other than Blissey) relies on varied resistances and offensive pressure, which I think is a strong composition in this meta.

The Number Man vs Atha (41 turns)

I really like atha's team here. We have two really dangerous attackers in Terrakion and Genesect, two good utility mons in Garchomp and Tapu Fini, and two strong defensive mons in Corv and Ferro. In particular I want to see what set Genesect and Ferro are running, Genesect because it has so many dangerous sets and they all have different checks, and Ferro because it has lots of subtle techs that could be useful here. I expect both Genesect and Terrakion to put in a lot of work here.

If we're honest, I don't love TNM's team composition here. He has the Swampert-Corviknight-Chansey core which are all really nice defensive mons and great pivots (especially together), but they are extremely passive and I find work best when the other three mons exert a ton of offensive pressure to make up for their passivity. Togekiss is an amazing cleaner, but it exerts very little pressure on switch-in since its STAB move is 50 BP and it's coverage options aren't super high power either. Golisopod is a really interesting mon who I think has a lot of potential in this meta, but it's more of an anti-offense pick than a wallbreaker, and this team has lots of anti-offense already. I'm not sure what Latias is supposed to do, but it doesn't scream wallbreaker either. All of his mons are good mons, and maybe I'm missing something, but on preview I think this team will have a hard time handling atha's team pressure.

Turn 1: TNM leads with Goli, and atha leads with Ferro. TNM switches to Corv which reveals it's Dauntless Shield while Ferro lays down some spikes. Nothing crazy.
Turn 2: Corv Defogs away the spikes and Ferro knocks off its Rocky Helmet. Ferro is also revealed to be holding leftovers.
Turn 3: Corv U-turns and reveals that Ferro is Wandering Spirit (which gives Ferro a Dauntless Shield boost, that's kinda funny). Latias comes in and eats a Knock Off, doing 55%. That's a rough blow to TNM, who I assume wanted to trick that scarf onto Ferro.
Turns 4 and 5: they trade Knock Offs and Aura Spheres until Latias is dead and Ferro is at 32%. Goli comes in.
Turn 6: atha goes to Intimidate Corv, who takes 30% from Liquidation and offers some Rocky Helmet damage too. Based on the amount of damage, Goli is likely Choice Banded.
Turns 7-8: atha roosts while TNM switches to Swampert, then atha hard-switches to Garchomp and gets trapped by Whirlpool. I've become a huge fan of Whirlpool Swampert, worst case you miss you get a switch without worrying about a double switch, best case you trap something that can't 1v1 Swampert and dies.
Turns 9-11: Garchomp is apparently Choice Scarfed and atha decides setting rocks is the best it can do before dying. Pert also sets rocks. Genesect comes in once Chomp is done dying.
Turn 12: TNM switches to Chansey as atha U-turns, brining in everyone's new favorite wallbreaker, Terrakion.
Turn 13: Corv comes in and is knocked down to 28% on a Close Combat. That didn't work.
Turn 14: Corv is switched to Togekiss, who between rocks and CC is knocked down to 38%.
Turns 20 and 21: after a few turns of pivoting and healing, atha gets Genesect in on Corv, and U-turns on Chansey to get Terrakion in again. This time TNM lets Chansey die.
Turn 23: atha tricks Fini's Choice Scarf onto Goli, weakening it. Also Fini can still trick a choice item onto something else.
Turn 27: TNM gets rocks off the field, which is critical since both Kiss and Goli are weak.
Turn 32: Gene uses Bug Buzz to KO Swampert from 70%. Very very likely this is Choice Speced, which means Togekiss can come in safely (and does).
Turns 33 and 34: atha switches to Fini who we know has Trick and a Choice Band while Togekiss Nasty Plots. TNM switches to Corv, who know has a Choice Band.
Turns 37 and 38: after a U-turn, Gene is in against unboosted Togekiss. It fires off a Flash Cannon that leaves does 39% to Corv and leave it at at 33%. KOs next turn.
Turn 39: Goli comes in, atha switches to Corv to eat the First Impression. Rocky Helmet kills it.
Turns 40 and 41: Togekiss Nasty Plots while Corv U-turns to Gene. Gene only takes 44% from +2 Draining Kiss and KOs back for the win.

I really like the combination of Choice Band Terrakion and Choice Spec Genesect (guessing Adaptability on both for the ability). Especially since the most reliable swtich-in to Choice Specs Genesect is the pink blobs, which risk coming into a U-turn and seeing Terrakion instead. They put an immense amount of pressure on the common defensive cores. I think that's a great pairing.

We saw another case of Intimidate Corv vs Dauntless Shield Corv in this game. The difference really didn't matter, expect giving Ferro a defense boost (add another niche case to Intimidate's ledger).

I touched on this in team preview, but I think the Corv+Pert+Pink Blob core really needs more immediate offensive pressure from the rest of their team to get the most out of them. They fold too easily to powerful neutral attacks to last forever, and just put no pressure on the other team.

Goli is great and more people should use it. Bug/water has a weirdly good set of resistances, it has solid bulk, access to lots of priority, can set spikes, and generally annoy offense. I think it has a solid place in this meta.

Togekiss is also a really dangerous cleaner. Since most of the other Triage users (and priority users in general) are physical, teams anti-priority measures usually center on that. Flying/Fair is also a solid defensive typing, and Nasty Plot>Calm Mind gives it a great niche over Tapu Lele. I love Togekiss on a team with lots of wallbreakers.

atha brought three mons between 99 and 110 base speed, fun fact. TNM only brought Latias, but I'm still noting this trend.

shiloh vs Jrdn (29 turns)

Jrdn has a nice, fairly standard looking team. Corv and Pex are defensive stalwarts, I would guess Heatran is too based on the rest of his team (otherwise he's pretty weak to special attacks), Chomp and Zap have good offensive presence and defensive utility, and Lele is probably a Triage cleaner (or for fun, it could be a Tinted Lens wallbreaker). Nice balanced team that should be able to wear down opposing teams into Lele cleaning range.

shiloh's team, on the other hand, screams hyper offense shenanigans. Mew and Koko are both common hyper offense leads (screens for Koko, screens or hazards for Mew). Lele is probably also a Triage sweeper, Genesect could be lots of things. Not sure what Snorlax does, but I'm sure it involves Belly Drum, and I'm sure Excadrill has an equally unique set. There's no defensive core to speak of, so it'll come down to can at least one of shiloh's sets overwhelm Jrdn's team.

Turn 1: shiloh leads Mew, Jrdn leads Pex. Neither of them like that apparently, and both hard switch to make it Koko vs Corv.
Turns 2-5: Koko gets both screens up and also reveals Taunt (stops Heatran's Toxic) and U-turns to bring in Gene on Corv. Time to see what this Gene can do.
Turn 6: Jrdn switches to Heatran (which is normally a pretty good Gene check) to find out it can Zap Cannon. We're looking at a Life Orb No Guard Genesect, which is not what I think Jrdn (or I) were expecting.
Turn 7: Gene brings Heatran to 14% and benefits from a full para, which assuming Heatran carries literally any fire move (likely) probably saves its life. Rough break for Jrdn.
Turn 8: Jrdn goes to Corv who takes 66% and is now paralyzed (Heatran is probably Regenerator, only reason I can think of to not just sac it at this point).
Turn 9: Gene Shift Gears while Corv U-turns back to Heatran (and it was Regenerator).
Turn 10: Heatran survives a Zap Cannon at 5% and this time gets a Lava Plume off, killing Gene. Screens are down now, so shiloh goes to Koko.
Turns 11-13: shiloh gets both screens up (helped by another full para on Heatran) and then U-turns to set up Snorlax vs Toxapex.
Turn 14: Pex uses Knock Off to reveal Snorlax had a Quick Claw (???) as Snorlax Belly Drums. Not sure what shiloh's plan here is, since I don't see how Snorlax can get around Prankster Haze...
Turn 15: Snorlax's Quick Draw (???) activates, but that only moves you first in your priority bracket. Pex Hazes, Lax Body Slams.
Turns 16-20: Snorlax just plugs away with Body Slam (landing a para on turn 17) while Pex tries to chip it and heal. Turn 20 ends with a 28% Pex (in KO range) and 19% Snorlax.
Turn 21: Lele switches in on a Recover.
Turn 22: Lele Calm Mind's on a full para by Pex. Jrdn claims that he's Gunk Shot, which if that's true (and I have no reason to doubt him): 0 Atk Toxapex Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 224-266 (79.7 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, and a pretty high chance to poison.
Turn 23: Pex dies to Psychic (and did not go for Haze, probably trying to Gunk Shot on continued set up).
Turn 24: Corv dies to Thunderbolt.
Turn 25: Jrdn brings in Heatran, but immediately goes to Chomp to steal more Regnerator recovery for Tran. shiloh Calm Minds.
Turn 26: Jrdn goes back to Heatran which takes next-to-nothing from Draining Kiss.
Turn 27: Jrdn goes back to Chomp (more Regenerator) and dies to Psychic. But now Heatran is outside the OHKO range of any of Lele's moves.
Turn 28: ...but that only matters if Toxic does not miss. Which it does. Jrdn forfeits.

Honestly that match was pretty haxy so it's hard to draw a lot of conclusions from it. Several full paras that mattered and a Toxic miss that took the situation from "bleak" to "hopeless."

No Guard Gene is an interesting set that messes with most of its common checks.

Triage Lele is a serious threat for a lot of the same reasons outlined in the TNM game; it has more power due to a secondary STAB, but slower setup.

Jrdn brought two more of our semi-fast attackers, shiloh brought zero.

Overall Takeaways

Clearly I love Spoiler tags and have gone too far. I can't stop. Please help.

Disclaimer first: it's only four games. The ban just happened and the meta isn't settled. They're tournament games, which are very different than ladder games. All of these takeaways could look really dumb right now in two weeks. But these are players who know the metagame extremely well and I think we can still learn a lot from these games.

RIP to our super-fast attackers

On the AAA VR thread, there are five mons with a base speed higher than Archeop's 110 in the A tier. The four above, including Weavile, were used a combined zero times (Tapu Koko was used three times, once as a hyper-offense screen setter which doesn't really count). I'll be curious to see if this trend holds true, or if we're overcorrecting right now and will swing back. All of them can still do work against unprepared teams, and I think they're all still going to be good once the meta settles, but for now they're missing in action.

I am very afraid of this thing
We only saw it in two games, but it put in serious work in both. Unless I'm doing the calc wrong, Choice Band + Adaptability with the correct move would have been a 2HKO at worst against every mon we saw this week (Toxapex can probably fish for a miss with Prankster Recover, but still a shaky check). It's still not as splashable as Archeops was due to choice lock, lack of U-turn and vulnerability to chip damage, but it is a menace and not any weaker.

Other semi-fast attackers shined as well
The average team this week had 1.75 attackers between 99 and 110 base speed, which is clearly our new critical speed range. There's a variety of threats in this range (as seen from the sprites), and all of them have enough bulk or good resistances to take a stray hit or two. I will be interested in seeing as time goes on if one of these rises above the rest (my guess is Terrakion), or if we end up with a more diversified set of offensive mons.

Corv is still King of the Roost
Corv was featured five times across the four games, and it's not hard to see why. Good bulk, good abilities to choose from, great resistances, reliable recovery, hazard clearing, and pivoting all in one mon? Yes please. I am interested in seeing what its main ability ends up being long term, Dauntless Shield or Intimidate. We saw two Intimidates, two Dauntlesses, and one unknown (Jrdn's Corv never revealed an ability).

Defense in general felt like it relied more on resistances and Regenerator beyond just pure defensive stats. Mons like Tapu Fini, Moltres, Colbalion and Landorus-T all put in work by using their resistances and immunities to thwart offense attackers. We only saw Swampert once and rock resistances were rare in general (to be fair, outside of Terrakion, rock attackers are equally rare).

Those are my thoughts. If you have any other thoughts, comments, observations, or corrections please feel free to reply!

Last edited:
Hi everyone you might recognize me as the multiple-day-long holder of the #1 spot on the aaa ladder and unlike the elitist ompl players who arent willing to share anything (not teams, not ban information, not even a french fry), today I have for all of you a bunch of teams Ive had a lot of success with both in climbing the ladder and consistently beating said elitist arrogant ompl players (in casual test games) (in theory at preview).

Anyways idt any of these are groundbreaking but theyre still fun and i think theres some interesting ideas i played around w:

:Terrakion: :Chansey: :Corviknight: :Tapu Fini: :Volcarona: :Weavile:
I made this terrak set cause I was tired of clicking sd and not staying in at +2 the rest of the team is p boring. U ohko scarf chomp and live eq + lo + rocks and theres other calcs like dshield body press stuff that gets sad. Run megahorn if u wanna hit mew but not on this team imoimo

:Tapu Lele: :Zarude: :Lanturn: :Corviknight: :Cobalion: :Barraskewda:
This lele set comes from the same logic as terrak where i just wanna setup and click shit without switching out, its sticks around forever. Theres also 5 pivot moves on this team lmao! however only one of them is a slow pivot and it gets volt blocked by every ground so in reality the lele just carries this team. Btw this lele triggers smth dangerous within TheCoastsOfToast, he literally didnt commentate ompl games the entire weekend and came back just to shit on jrdn using this set, so dont blame me if u decide to use this and he suddenly joins ur battle and starts saying mean things about you and lele and "i just dont get it"

:Altaria: :Magnezone: :Mew: :Glastrier: :Barraskewda: :Terrakion:
This teams called spdef dnite balance. After i made the team it looked sexy af and then i loaded it and my builder told me dragonite was not allowed for some reason (Think is this a glitch?) so i replaced it w altaria and MAN altaria is dogshit. However the teams still decent i think

:Genesect::Landorus-Therian: :Tapu Fini::Tapu Bulu: :Talonflame::Jirachi:
Sometime midway thru making these teams i saw talonflame in a+ rank. Youll notice half the teams in here get 6-0d by talonflame and yea those were the teams that were made before this change. Anyway this is just my old sample just with talon as a fire > volca cause it seemed to fit the theme.

:Darmanitan-Galar: :Mew: :Tapu Koko: :Corviknight: :Garchomp: :Ferrothorn:
Gdarm seemed kinda hype so i tried to find any justification to use it over weavile and I finally found one. Apparently it can 2hko intim corv with flare blitz! Its p fun to spam icicle crash i stay in alot on things im not supposed to cause ill probably flinch anyway if they dont double

:Mew: :Primarina: :Landorus-Therian: :Kommo-o: :Skarmory: :Tapu Koko:
This is hazard stack voltturn but the whole teams walled by like delta stream corv and a bunch of other common shit. Idk i win most games w it tho maybe im just different (after all i am the OM Grand Slam Winner (for those who didnt know))

:Arctozolt: :Swampert: :Corviknight: :Genesect: :Silvally-Dragon: :Blacephalon:
I thought zolt was trash but after losing to it like 10 times in a row on ladder i finally made my own team aaaaand its not bad. The blace set is hype if ur opp is tryharding cus then theyll calc and think ur scarf and stay in w their water type on solar beam.

:Garchomp: :Mew: :Ferrothorn: :Corviknight: :Blacephalon: :Blastoise:
Oh look its another heal bell + fat setup guy that breaks everything team. This is one of the closest things ill make to stall (its stall cus the corv doesnt have uturn or setup) theres alot of holes but im sure u could tweak it

:Grimmsnarl: :Chansey: :Toxapex: :Zapdos-Galar: :Cinderace: :Tapu Koko:
not another random mon with grass coverage!! Only this ones better bc theres no fucking way any of u knew grimmsnarl learns power whip (i certainly didnt), anyways this team seems alright, probably the worst of the mix cus rest of the mons besides grimm are pretty filler tbh. Oh also you can go thunder punch to hit intim corv.

:Weavile:
One oher random thing that should prob be common knowledge but everyone I talked to last weekend didnt know about (i didnt know either till like two weeks ago) is beat up mechanics. Apparently statused mons dont count for beat up so if u see a weavile u think is beat up, just throw out a couple scalds or twaves early and youll have a better time. Not saying whether weaviles broken or not (i stay away from politics) but idk thats definitely helpful for limiting (disclaimer: far from 100% foolproof method!!) technician and mglo is much easier to switch into so hope that info helps other ppl.

Lastly free keld free gengar and free zamazenta crowned thx for reading

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
Appeals + C&C Lead
One oher random thing that should prob be common knowledge but everyone I talked to last weekend didnt know about (i didnt know either till like two weeks ago) is beat up mechanics. Apparently statused mons dont count for beat up so if u see a weavile u think is beat up, just throw out a couple scalds or twaves early and youll have a better time. Not saying whether weaviles broken or not (i stay away from politics) but idk thats definitely helpful for limiting (disclaimer: far from 100% foolproof method!!) technician and mglo is much easier to switch into so hope that info helps other ppl.
While we’re on the subject of weird Beat Up mechanics that aren’t always common knowledge, for some reason Beat Up does NOT make contact with the opponent. Which is a shame, because Weavile OHKOing itself on a Rocky Helmet mon would be hilarious (alternate idea: every mon on the opposing team takes Rocky Helmet damage). In addition certain abilities like Wandering Spirit will not trigger against it, nor will the poisoning effect of Baneful Bunker.

Also Beat Up’s base power is determined by the base attack stat of each of your mons, not their actual attack with investment/nature/etc. A fully invested Choice Band Landorus-T and a no-investment defensive Landorus-T lead to the exact same power Beat Up.

Last edited:

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
Appeals + C&C Lead
As someone who normally loves the slightly gimmicky team based strategies like Rain because I'm not a good player and my only hope is abusing them, I've tried to build Rain several times and have found it to be pretty inconsistent. There will be some games you win on team preview, but there are a number of metagame trends that frustrate Rain teams.

The biggest one is the existence of Primal weathers, especially Desolate Land. They will cut off your rain turns, and even if you bring your setter back in on them, their weather dominates. Desolate Land is especially devastating as it will also completely nullify your water type moves, and matches up well against the common setters (Corv is usually the one I have seen and used, access to recovery is nice to have on your setter for longevity).

Another issue is that usually the best abusers of Rain are Swift Swimmers, and being able to give Swift Swim to any mon certainly opens the doors to a lot of abusers. Unfortunately, priority is very common in AAA, especially Triage, and no amount of swimming swiftly can bypass priority. Additionally the defensive mons in this meta are bulky and hard to wear down, especially with access to abilities like Intimidate and Regenerator, and since you are running Swift Swim as your ability you can't run damage-boosting abilities. The two-ability clause also prevents you from running more than two Swift Swimmers, and it's hard to find two mons that can break through all of the common defensive cores.

Finally, with so many good abilities to choose from, you can effectively build "Swift Swimmers" without dedicating your team to them. The big draw to rain is you get 50% more damage on water-type moves and can double your speed with Swift Swim. However, speed is binary, and there's no advantage to being twice as fast as your opponent compared to just a little faster, so running a Choice Scarf + damage boosting ability (like Adaptability or Tough Claws) on any mon can mimic the same effect without dedicating your team to it (wouldn't your Swampert rather have Regenerator?). Or, you can run Triage or Unburden and be super fast without a rain setter. If your rain mon is benefiting from the accuracy boost to Thunder and Hurricane, it could just run Primordial Sea or No Guard instead.

Team slots are precious, and dedicating a whole slot to a mon that does nothing on its own (your Drizzle setter) is a big ask that needs a big pay-off. Ask yourself, would you rather have two Swift Swimmers and a rain setter, or three mons with other great abilities that can boost speed or damage (and hold a Choice Scarf if you really want speed)?

The surprise factor, especially if you do a good job of team building and hiding who your Swift Swimmers are, can definitely net you KOs and run through unprepared teams. But it is not hard to prepare for rain without compromising the composition of your team. Rain can be good in some cases, but it has a plethora of checks and there are better, more reliable team building strategies like Trick Room.

Edit: of course, after posting this, I tried to build Rain again and it is really fun when it works. It is absolutely not broken, and will always be very matchup dependent, but with the right tweaks it might be able to be a useable off-speed team. Having to win 6 50-50 predictions every game is the sign of a healthy team right?

Last edited:

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
Appeals + C&C Lead
With the June usage stats out, I wanted to take a minute to highlight some mons that are underused relative to their position on the AAA Viability Rankings and explain why I think you should be using them more.

Talonflame (A+ on the VR, 39th in usage)
In standard play, Talonflame has a lot of issues: very low base attack, crippling Stealth Rock weakness, killing itself with recoil, common checks, and a situational ability. In AAA however, access to Magic Guard rectifies most of those issues, and several metagame trends make it even better.

The only set Talonflame should be running is Magic Guard Life Orb Attacker, and it hits surprisingly hard. With Magic Guard negating the recoil from both Life Orb and moves, Talonflame has two 120 Base Power, 100% accurate, no-drawback STAB moves (Flare Blitz even carries a 10% burn chance). Additionally, in a metagame that is virtually devoid of Rock types, the only common mons that resist both STAB moves are Primordial Sea Electric types (lesser-seen sets: Flash Fire Corv or Skarm, Dracozolt, and Nihilego). Even better, most of Talonflame's common checks in Standard play aren't relevant here. Tyranitar and Rotom-W are nowhere to be seen, and Landorus-T and Heatran no longer run Intimidate and Flash Fire, respectively.

Fire/Flying is also a weirdly good defensive typing, boasting 6 resistances and an immunity. Critically, this includes all of the Triage types (Fighting, Fairy, Grass, and Bug), making it hard to revenge kill with priority. With Swords Dance and Roost, it can set up on a number of defensive mons that struggle to out-damage Roost, such as Ferrothorn and Body Press mons. Late game, if you're sure it's the fastest mon left, you can even Swords Dance once on bulky waters, being able to live one shot from most un-boosted Scalds and not fearing the burn (just be sure they're in OHKO range after the Swords Dance).

Talonflame plays very similarly to MGLO Weavile, including raw power, and I find them often competing for the same slot on my teams. Talonflame has the advantage of no-drawback STABs (Knock Off has reduced power after the first hit, and Triple Axel has shaky accuracy), recovery, and better defensive typing for setting up and avoiding revenge killing, while Weavile has more max power, more unpredictability (it has other viable sets), item removal, and priority. They also have slightly different checks; if you're team is struggling with Cobalion and Tapu Fini, Talonflame can break past both better than Weavile. If Zapdos or Primordial Sea Tapu Koko are problems, neither can switch into Weavile (neither can break through Toxapex though).

Mamoswine and Bisharp (B+ on VR, 62nd and 65th in usage)
Mamoswine and Bisharp are interesting cases as they both play essentially the same way as their standard counterparts, just with Adaptability added. Both of them rely almost exclusively on their STAB moves, making them essentially 33% stronger versions of themselves.

The formula to both of them is pretty straight-forward: use the amazing coverage combination of your STAB moves and high offensive stats (boosted by either an item or Swords Dance in Bisharp's case) to break down common defensive walls that may be annoying the rest of your team. Both also have access to priority to not be dead-weight against offense, but thanks to the proliferation of faster priority in AAA, neither is as reliable as you would like.

There's not quite as much to say about these two since they're basically the same as their standard play versions, but they are still potent wall-breakers that can make life easier for your sweepers.

Togekiss (B+ on VR, 72nd in usage)
Togekiss is a dangerous Triage mon, and one that is often under-prepared for. It's most common set is Nasty Plot + 3 Attacks, and that Nasty Plot is what differentiates it from the other Triage mons.

Priority is an important part of the AAA metagame, and every team needs to be prepared to deal with Triage. Due to most priority users being physical attackers (Weavile, Genesect, Tapu Bulu, Kommo-o, Zarude, etc.) teams are usually less prepared for special priority.

The most common special Triage user is Tapu Lele, who is Togekiss's primary competition for a team spot. Lele has a slightly higher special attack, but most notably a useable second STAB move, offering it much more immediate power. Togekiss's advantage comes from faster set up; since Lele's best set-up move is Calm Mind, Togekiss can get to +2 in the same amount of time it takes Lele to get to +1, making it's Draining Kiss (assuming LO and Modest for both) about 25% stronger after one turn.

Fire Blast lets it get through Corviknight and offensive Heatran, mons that are normally good checks to Triage. Psyshock lets it beat non-Unaware Blissey and Chansey. Frustratingly it still misses the 2HKO on Toxapex, meaning it cannot sweep unless Pex is severely weakened.

Given one free turn, Togekiss can plow through offensive teams and still has the power to heavily threaten and break through defensive teams. It's a solid win condition that teams are often underprepared for.

Are there any other under-used mons you have found to be effective in AAA? I'm always looking to try new strategies and ideas, and using underutilized mons is a great way to uncover new synergies and team strategies!

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
With AAA Seasonal starting in a few days, I wanted to take this time to highlight some of my favorite sets I've been spamming on ladder and in room tours.

:ss/heracross:
Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

It's Heracross. I kinda had to make a set for it even if it wasn't the best in the metagame...and I was pretty surprised by how good it was! This tier has solid Fighting resists (Mew, Toxapex, Tapu Fini, etc), but I've found that one of the main issues with them is the fact that they have to resist Fighting and/or have DShield and a recovery move to consistently switch into these Fighting types. Enter Heracross, who preys upon teams that rely on Mew and an offensive Flying type to check Fighting-types. Its secondary STAB in Megahorn already hits Mew, but Tinted Lens is simply the icing on top of the cake: now, you don't even need to predict! Just click CC and watch as bulkier teams proceed to sack something every time it comes in. Of course, it requires solid pivot support to function due to its middling bulk, lack of relevant resistances, and disappointing speed (you need Ada to get crucial 2HKOs like vs non-Intimidate/DSheild Corviknight, Toxapex, and the OHKO on bulkless Zapdos), but after testing I can say it's a pretty cool breaker capable of taking advantage of common meta trends.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 243-286 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Tapu Fini: 210-248 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Megahorn vs. +1 248 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 302-356 (74.9 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 152+ Def Mandibuzz: 237-280 (56 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 210-250 (53.2 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:ss/pikachu:
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Refrigerate
Naughty Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off

I understand I posted a Galvanize set a while back and called the mon bad; however, that was before I opened my eyes to the monster that is Refrigerate Pikachu. BoltBeam is notoriously good coverage when it comes to Pokemon, and pseudo STAB on two priority moves in a tier that lacks offensive Ice resists is great. Basically everything defensively that would be okay with switching into FakeSpeed (Swampert, DSheild Mew, Ferrothorn, Fire-types) either hate getting Volted on into Heatran (expect FF Ferro, I hate that thing), hate losing their item to Knock Off, or are forced to recover after they take too much damage, leaving them sitting ducks for a free switch-in. Obviously Pika does hinge heavily on a surprise factor, but even without that, it makes a great partner in top tier mon Heatran due to its ability to pivot into Heatran on stuff like Steels, who can usually take the FakeSpeed combo but fail to threaten Heatran. It's an interesting revenge killer that I heavily recommend not using without a very good defensive backbone: Pikachu can take one or two weak stray hits, like a Corvi U-turn, but otherwise it is frail as a feather.

:ss/zygarde-10%:
Zygarde-10% @ Soft Sand / Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

We all know about the stupid Band set that absolutely decimates teams without a Ground resist that isn't a steel bird, or something stupidly bulky like Slowbro or DSheild Mew, but did you know about the Dragon Dance set? I've been using this on screens recently, and being able to change moves combined with the damage buff Soft Sand provides does wonders. Suddenly, that DSheild Mew is now forced to spam its recovery, or else it gets quickly overwhelmed by the constant barrage of Thousand Arrows or Outrage. I would almost never use this as a sweeper due to its laughable bulk and status weakness (Lum Berry alleviates this a bit), but I think it's a pretty solid breaker because it's able to wear down the opposing team so something like the dreaded BD Kommo-O or LO SG Genesect can sweep.

Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone participating in the AAA Seasonal!

(also atha I am so sorry we keep running into each other on ladder, I'm not counter teaming you on purpose I swear)

hi guys, this team i found in ladder and i switched to heatran with a tapu koko.
1625875894339.png

Fujiwara no Mokou (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance
Everyone already knows Talonflame, in AAA 7 gen it was very used, that's why I used Diancie Regen to control it with Power Gem...

Koishi Komeiji (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
Defensive response for the offensive beasts of the metagame. ice beam for Ground types and volt switch for pokemon with regen that cannot change (Tapu Fini)

Wakasagihime (Tapu Fini) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Defog
Response to Weavile and dragon types.

Tenshi Hinanai (Garchomp) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Poison Jab
Response to electrical types (except Tapu Koko or Refrigerate users)

AYAYA (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Spikes
- Roost
This ability allows you to punish regeneration users who use U turn or Flip Turn, since if they touch you, you change their ability and they do not recover.

Iku Nagae (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Roost
Many people are not ready for Tapu Koko, being one of the fastest pokemon in the metagame, beating Weavile, Talonflame and Alakazam. With Magic Guard / Life orb and calm mind you allow to beat Blissey in 1vs1, he cannot paralyze you and he will only have to use Teleport, which would be fatal since it would raise my special defense and force the enemy to attack me.

just gonna share 2 cool sets i made recently

zerp (:celebi:) @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Solar Beam
- Recover
- U-turn
its like desoland heatran but weaker and with recovery + u-turn, using it on u-turn spam and its so fun, beats all the standard stuff grass/fire desoland heatran beats. it needs to be shiny because its a really good shiny

big man ting (:gyarados:) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Waterfall
- Power Whip
- Dragon Dance
this is a pretty unique and hard to use set, but BOY does it put in work. loses to desoland heatran and koko and a few others, but you can swap power whip for eq if you need to. aside from those two, it can mow through tons of threats such as zapdos, zapdos-g, pert, fini, talonflame, weavy boy, volc, and non-sash zam. i've had an absolute blast using this set, so you probably should too. if you want more sets you're not getting them

YOu wANt SOMe SeTs?! wEll cOme gEts sOomE!

:ss/Incineroar:
Meow (Incineroar) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge/Taunt/Earthquake/Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Swords dance/Taunt

Scare out weavile and surprise fini.

Adamant is run for 81% chance to ohko after rocks, and flame charge is to enable some sweeps. Quake breaks pex, blitz is just raw damage and taun is better for stall breaking, cc just hits ff ferro and the sorts and yeah have fun.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Incineroar Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 294-346 (85.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

:ss/magnezone:

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Body Press
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

-OR-

Magnezone @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator / Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Def / 132 Spe
Timid Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Neat momentum sap for fini, pex (i just hate them two mfs), corv, ferro, blissey or anything really. The second set can just annoying some bitches cause nothing really tryna switch in on dat. Good partner for weavile. That incen irronically destroys.

Last edited:
if you want more sets you're not getting them
so that was a fucking lie

this was :victini: (:mew:) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Psychic / Flamethrower
- Leaf Storm / Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
i made this set without realizing victini was banned so i just took the set and plopped it onto a mew. you'll need an answer to weavile and garchomp if you dont have ice beam, so i'd recommend fini as a partner here. max hp + 192 def bold always lives 2 cb technician taxels from jolly weav. set is pretty self explanatory, fire/grass coverage is amazing against the top tiers atm, and fire blast + tbolt ensures you dont auto lose to va/ff/stream corv

ag/ (:aegislash:) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Reflect
- Shadow Sneak
"you cant use that its not regen registeel" - everyone after seeing this set
registeel is great and all but it doesnt have a ghost typing, meaning it cant actually switch into terrifying shit like mguard zapdos-g. of course, it comes with the drawback of a dark and ghost weakness making you countered by weavile, but thats nothing some team support cant fix. using reflect here because its on semi-stall with primsea zapdos, good to just give it more opportunities to switch in

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
It's finally that time again...

SAMPLE TEAM SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN!!!

Note: Submissions are now open (again)! If you have one you think is worthy feel free to post about it here in the thread :]

Format: While there's no strict format requirement for sample team submissions, it helps to include a blurb (short description) explaining what the team is, how it works, and perhaps even some strengths and weaknesses. If you're having trouble deciding if a team is worth submitting for samples or not, one way to think about it is to ask yourself: If I was new to this meta and didn't fully understand all of the ins and outs, would I be able to pick up this team and easily discern what each Pokemon is meant to do? (to a relative extent, at least) The council will compile all of the submissions and the qualifying ones will all be released in a future post.

Edit: To see other sample teams that previously made it through, check out this post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/almost-any-ability.3656414/post-8286473

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
Appeals + C&C Lead
When I was new to the meta, CorvBlissPert was an easy to understand and use strategy that helped me learn the meta quickly, so I would like to submit CorvBlissPert+The Killer T's.

The premise of the team is simple; use a bulky, pivoting core to maneuver your attackers into advantageous positions. Terrakion is an amazing wall breaker with almost no safe switch-ins. Talonflame's excellent speed tier, coverage, and good-enough power lets it pressure a lot of teams, while Magic Guard + 7 resistances lets it set up on bulkier teams. Tapu Bulu is speed control, immediate power, and usually your win condition. Only a few mons can stop Tapu Bulu from sweeping, and Terrakion and Talonflame put pressure on almost all of them.

Swampert, Corviknight and Blissey all have great bulk and access to pivoting. The best way to use them is to bring in whichever one best answers what forced your attacker out, and immediately use U-Turn/Flip Turn/Teleport to bring an attacker back out again (I often joke whenever the Blissey gets Tricked a Choice Scarf "cool, this changes nothing"). They all have good bulk but can be worn down, so wearing down the other team faster with your attackers is vital.

The team is not perfect. Set up sweepers, especially ones that boost speed (Genesect, Volcarona, Unburden Kommo-o) are major threats that can break through this team. Also the most powerful wall breakers (Terrakion, Technician Weavile, Specs Heatran) are too powerful for the pivots and can break them down. Against threats like these, it's important to make sure your attackers are on the field and threatening them as much as possible so they can't get in safely.

(Are we allowed to submit multiple samples? If so here's a quick pitch for some other teams, if not ignore these and consider the above team)

Kommo-o hyper offense: this team is even more straight forward, but a little less intuitive to use well. Koko sets screens, Kiss and Bulu are Triage sweepers, Kommo-o is Unburden Belly Drum, Mew abuses passive teams, and Xurk is really just there to deal with Toxapex and Unaware mons. It's hard to check all five of these offensive threats, so the idea is slap them all on one team and abuse the one they can't cover. Biggest weakness is someone setting up faster than you (turn one Volcarona says hi), because this team has literally no defensive counterplay.

Trick Room: you can read more about my thoughts on this team here, but this has actually been one of my more successful teams. Marowak-A under Trick Room is the closest thing to un-wall-able in the meta, and Stakataka + Tinted Lens + Gyro Ball takes all of the guess work out of choosing a move. It's probably not the best team for learning the meta (since you're literally flipping the meta upside down), but it's a good team for having fun and winning some games.

I know better than Think: have you ever come across a team that was pretty good and thought to yourself, "I bet I could make it better by replacing one of its most important pieces with something random?" That's what I did here. Please do not consider this a serious submission.

Hey, I'm kinda new to this but here's...something

https://pokepast.es/99a158fc0cd05ede

It's a Triage Centiskorch team, pretty straight forward. Coil is a really good setup move, it even fixes Power Whip's accuracy, which is need for some water types, I guess. The speed invesment is for outspeeding neutral Corv and Skarm.

Primordial Sea Specs Jolteon and Scarf Magic Guard G Darm as offensive teammates. Jolteon outspeeds stuff like Talonflame, Weavile and Alakazam, while having close to a 100% chance to OHKO the latter two, plus Weather Ball helps for grounds. G Darm is kinda filler, but helps against even more ground types and some dragon types.

Diancie helps cuz I'm scared of stuff like Blacephalon lol. Corv's real good, y'all already know, and Amoonguss kinda walls Barraskewda plus Grassy Terrain support is always welcomed.

Alakazam, Mamoswine, and maybe Terrakion could be difficult to handle with this team, but I swear that Triage Leech Life after a single Coil is hella strong.

Would appreciate any insight on this!

im still a bit new to aaa but i feel confident enough to submit a sample

:genesect::tapu-fini::blissey::toxapex::dhelmise::tapu-koko:
https://pokepast.es/73c9d19365859cde

im a big dhelmise fan, and love building teams around it. here's a quick rundown of the team:
genesect is the main wallbreaker here. energy ball is a really underrated option imo, beat the two S tiers outright. tbolt lets you threaten non-ds/va corvi
fini is the main garchomp and weavile check on this team, along with the main form of hazard control. ice beam is there to actually threaten chomp, and the EVs are there to guarantee survive 2 cb tech weavile taxels. it also beats talonflame which can be an issue for this team
bliss is the rocker and genesect check. genesect in general is an issue for this team, but stoss can but pressure on it. if its regen, it wont be threatening bliss anyways
tspikes are great for genesect's wallbreaking, which is why im using pex here. also handles stuff like kommowo and talonflame
dhelm has speeeeeeeeeeeeeeen and glide, along with a ghost typing. it lets it switch into a zapdos-g cc and once its weakened, you can finish it with glide. glide is also just great priority overall
koko is mandatory on every single non-stall team imo, its easy to understand what it does here

main weaknesses here are zapdos-g and weavile. everything else is fine enough to handle, if a bit tough against rare stuff like ff scizor. zapdos-g just rips this team apart if you dont play your hand right, so make sure koko stays healthy. weavile does something similar, you just need fini to be healthy instead

Dans ce poste, je voudrais parler de deux Pokémons & d'un talent que je trouve unhealthy pour ce tier.

Weavile

Ce Pokémon est incroyablement fort dans le tier actuellement et cela se ressent beaucoup lorsqu'on build une team, je me sens obligé de mettre un Pokémon spécifique pour pouvoir venir sur Weavile qui ne fait que ça ou presque alors que j'aurais aimé avoir d'autres Pokémons bien meilleurs dans ma team.

Les Switch-Ins à Weavile sont très limités et peuvent quand même perdre le duel contre lui pour la plupart.
Je voudrais commencer par les plus communs et dire comment ils peuvent perdre le duel contre.

Cobalion

La popularité de Cobalion a augmenté depuis le début de l'OMPL car Weavile utilisait souvent Poison Jab comme coverage pour toucher Tapu Fini, pourtant ce Pokémon perd automatiquement contre Weavile Low Kick.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 387-458 (100.2 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vous êtes forcé d'utiliser la Chople Berry pour pouvoir venir sur Weavile, mais même là vous n'avez qu'à vous faire Knock Off et vous avez perdu votre réponse à Weavile.

Tapu Fini

Celui-ci est plutôt cocasse car tout le monde le considère comme l'un des meilleurs Switch In à Weavile et pourtant il doit rely sur de la chance pour pouvoir le passer, même sans Poison Jab.
Poison Jab le passe très facilement, il suffit de le chip un peu puis vous êtes casi sûr de l'OHKO.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 281-333 (81.6 - 96.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sans Poison Jab c'est plus compliqué de le passer mais quand même très largement faisable.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 159-186 (46.2 - 54%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Si vous réussissez entièrement vos 2 Triple Axel et qu'il ne vous burn pas avec Scald / ne vous crit pas avec Moonblast, alors vous en venez à bout.
Il faut également maintenir les Rocks sur le terrain pour éviter d'avoir un roll (qui est d'environ 55% de chance de 2HKO), mais c'est assez simple car Tapu Fini perd contre énormément de rock setters et ne pourra pas Defog facilement.

Mew

Mew Colbur Berry est certainement le pire Switch-In Weavile, le fait de ne pas avoir les bottes handicape énormément Mew dans une game tout ça pour venir uniquement sur Weavile no Band, je suis assez surpris qu'absolument personne ne se dise encore qu'avoir Mew Colbur Berry n'est pas ok du tout à cause de sa fiabilité overall désastreuse à cause des Hazards, et c'est aussi un exemple parfait pour voir à quel point Weavile restreint le builder.

Corviknight

Corviknight sans Body Press a beaucoup de mal a assumé les coups de Weavile, en effet il vient dessus sans problème mais est obligé de U-turn pour pouvoir mettre un Revenge Killer.

Sauf que :
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 258-303 (64.5 - 75.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Corviknight U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 128-152 (45.5 - 54%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO

En faisant ça vous vous retrouvez avec un Corviknight avec environ 30% qui ne vient sur rien du tout surtout s'il y a les rocks, et même si par chance vous arrivez à soigner votre Corviknight, Weavile pourra recommencer le processus car il a 60% de chance de tanker 2 U-turns.

Toxapex

Toxapex est un peu plus particulier que les autres, sur le papier c'est un très bon Switch In Weavile qui peut venir plein de fois pendant le match, même sur le Band si le Rocky Helmet est porté, le problème c'est que c'est assez simple de PP Stall ses Recovers, il souffre beaucoup des Hazards et est difficile à placer dans une team avec du VoltTurn car il supprime totalement votre momentum lorsque vous le posez sur le terrain, et que les teams plus défensives laisseront souvent Weavile venir sur le terrain.

Conclusion :
Soit vous devez jouer un hardcounter comme Corviknight ou Skarmory Body Press, soit vous devez jouer un de ces cores défensifs pour être sûr de le passer sans encombres :
Cobalion Chople Berry + Mew Colbur Berry (Cobalion est celui que vous mettez en premier, s'il vous Koff alors vous savez s'il est band ou SD, s'il est band alors Cobalion le wall facilement, s'il est SD alors Mew sera votre Switch-In de prédilection)
Tapu Fini Haze + Mew Colbur Berry (Vous scoutez en mettant Tapu Fini en premier, s'il est SD vous faites Haze puis vous mettez Mew, s'il est Band vous laissez Fini)
Mew Colbur Berry + un Rocky Helmet + une Dark resist capable de le rk (Mew est le pokémon que vous mettez en premier pour le scout, s'il est band mew tank et vous pouvez mettre votre Rocky Helmet qui est en général Regenerator pour pouvoir se heal facilement puis en dernier vous mettez votre Dark Resist pour le revenge kill)

Weavile restreint énormément le builder tout en étant un des Pokémons les plus rapides du tier qui est facile à mettre sur le terrain pour rk ou via slowturn, ce n'est certainement pas un Pokémon que l'on devrait garder dans ce tier où il y a beaucoup de menaces à gérer.

Psychic Surge

Je vais absolument rien dire et juste montrer des calcs :
Expanding Force | Psyshock | Focus Blast

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Scizor in Psychic Terrain: 163-192 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD
Mew in Psychic Terrain: 196-231 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest
Silvally-Dragon in Psychic Terrain: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 348-409 (49.4 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert in Psychic Terrain: 202-238 (50 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey in Psychic Terrain: 475-559 (66.5 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 262-310 (74.4 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Les seuls vrais Switch-Ins sont Mandibuzz qui n'apprécie vraiment pas recevoir le Scarf ou les Specs ou Corviknight max SpD Flash Fire (pour Azelf).

Pour pouvoir les gérer on est obligé de jouer généralement un RegenVest / Blob + Dark-type, ça ne serait pas gênant s'il n'y avait pas que 2 Dark-types forts dans le tier (Weavile & Zarude), tous les autres sont niches voire mauvais et difficile à justifier dans une team.

Genesect

Beaucoup de gens pensent que ce Pokémon n'est pas broken ou mauvais, je vais montrer un seul set qui 2HKO l'entièreté du tier.

Genesect @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head / Leech Life / Shift Gear / Energy Ball / U-turn
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Flamethrower
- Flamethrower / Shift Gear / U-turn

Déjà, vous voyez bien qu'il y a un problème, il y a tellement de moves forts sur un set de Genesect.
Quel Pokémon allez-vous mettre contre ça ?

Silvally ?
32 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Dragon: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO
32 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Rock: 367-432 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Swampert ?
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 322-385 (79.7 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Heatran ?
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran in Harsh Sunshine: 222-263 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Zapdos ?
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 242-286 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Blissey ?
32 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 317-374 (44.3 - 52.3%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO
(Vous n'avez besoin que de très peu de dégâts de chip pour pouvoir le 2HKO)

Je ne dis pas que Genesect a besoin de cliquer le bon move à chaque fois pour pouvoir faire quelque chose, je dis surtout que ce n'est pas possible de le gérer sans risquer de perdre un Pokémon, c'est juste de la chance à ce niveau-là.

Et ce n'est qu'ici qu'un set, et s'il était Scarf pour Revenge Kill facilement ? Band ? Specs ? en plus d'être AoA ou Sweeper avec Shift Gear.
C'est impossible de prédire à quel Genesect vous avez à faire, et quel move il va cliquer, c'est également impossible de lui mettre la pression constamment dans un match et de le faire venir sur aucun Pokémon de votre équipe car il pourra venir via voltturn, le hard sur un Pokémon qu'il peut tanker, ou revenge kill.
Si vous avez un moyen de le gérer facilement, s'il vous plait dites le moi car je ne comprends pas pourquoi la plupart de la communauté AAA ne le trouve pas fort.

In this post, I would like to talk about two Pokémon & one ability that I find unhealthy for this tier.
Weavile

This Pokémon is incredibly strong in the tier at this moment and this is felt a lot when building a team, I feel obliged to put a specific Pokémon to be able to come on Weavile which does only that or almost only that whereas I would have liked to have other Pokémon much better in my team.

Switch-Ins to Weavile are very limited and can still lose against it for the most part.
I would like to start with the most common ones and tell how they can lose against.

Cobalion

Cobalion's popularity has increased since the beginning of OMPL because Weavile often used Poison Jab as coverage to hit Tapu Fini, yet this Pokémon automatically loses to Weavile Low Kick.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 387-458 (100.2 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You are forced to use the Chople Berry to be able to come on Weavile, but even then you just get Knocked Off and you have lost your answer to Weavile.

Tapu Fini

This one is rather funny because everyone considers it one of the best Switch In Weavile and yet it has to rely on luck to pass it, even without Poison Jab.
Poison Jab breaks it very easily, you just have to chip it a bit and then you're pretty sure of the OHKO.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 281-333 (81.6 - 96.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Without Poison Jab it is more complicated to breaks but still very possible.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 159-186 (46.2 - 54%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If you fully succeed with your 2 Triple Axels and it doesn't burn you with Scald / doesn't crit you with Moonblast, then you break it.
You also need to keep Rocks on the field to avoid getting a roll (which is about 55% chance of 2HKO), but it's pretty easy because Tapu Fini loses to a lot of rock setters and won't be able to Defog easily.

Mew

Mew Colbur Berry is certainly the worst Switch-In Weavile, not having the boots handicaps Mew enormously in a game for come only on Weavile no Band, I'm quite surprised that absolutely no one is still saying that having Mew Colbur Berry is not ok at all because of its disastrous overall reliability because of Hazards, and it's also a perfect example of how much Weavile restricts the builder.

Corviknight

Corviknight without Body Press has a lot of difficulties to assume the blows of Weavile, indeed it comes on without problem but is obliged to U-turn to be able to put a Revenge Killer.

But :
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 258-303 (64.5 - 75.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Corviknight U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 128-152 (45.5 - 54%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO

By doing this you have a Corviknight with ~30% that doesn't come up with anything at all especially if rocks are up, and even if by chance you manage to heal your Corviknight, Weavile will be able to restart the process because it has 60% chance to take 2 U-turns.

Toxapex

Toxapex is a bit more peculiar than the others, on paper it's a very good Switch In Weavile that can come many times during the match, even on the Band if the Rocky Helmet is worn, the problem is that it's quite easy to PP Stall its Recovers, it suffers a lot from Hazards and it's difficult to place in a team with VoltTurn because it totally removes your momentum when you put it on the field, and more defensive teams will often let Weavile come on the field.

Conclusion :
Either you have to play a hardcounter like Corviknight or Skarmory Body Press, or you have to play one of these defensive cores to be sure to pass it safely :
Cobalion Chople Berry + Mew Colbur Berry (Cobalion is the one you put first, if it Koff you then you know if it's band or SD, if it's band then Cobalion will wall it easily, if it's SD then Mew will be your Switch-In)
Tapu Fini Haze + Mew Colbur Berry (You scout by putting Tapu Fini first, if it's SD you make Haze then you put Mew, if it's Band you stay with Fini)
Mew Colbur Berry + a Rocky Helmet + Dark-resist who can revenge kill it (Mew is the pokémon you put first for the scout, if it's band mew tank and you can put your Rocky Helmet which is usually Regenerator to be able to heal easily then in last you put your Dark Resist for the revenge kill)

Weavile restricts the builder a lot while being one of the fastest Pokémon in the tier that is easy to put on the field for rk or via slowturn, it's definitely not a Pokémon that should be kept in this tier where there are many threats to deal with.
Psychic Surge

Just see these calcs :
Expanding Force | Psyshock | Focus Blast

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Scizor in Psychic Terrain: 163-192 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD
Mew in Psychic Terrain: 196-231 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest
Silvally-Dragon in Psychic Terrain: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 348-409 (49.4 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert in Psychic Terrain: 202-238 (50 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey in Psychic Terrain: 475-559 (66.5 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 262-310 (74.4 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only real Switch-Ins are Mandibuzz who really doesn't appreciate receiving the Scarf or Specs or Corviknight max SpD Flash Fire (for Azelf).

To be able to manage them you have to play a RegenVest / Blob + Dark-type, it wouldn't be a problem if there weren't only 2 strong Dark-types in the tier (Weavile & Zarude), all the others are niche or even bad and difficult to justify in a team.
Genesect

Many people think that this Pokémon is not broken or bad, I will show one set that 2HKOs the entire tier.

Genesect @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head / Leech Life / Shift Gear / Energy Ball / U-turn
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Flamethrower
- Flamethrower / Shift Gear / U-turn

Already, you can see that there's a problem, there are so many strong moves on one Genesect set.
What Pokémon are you going to put against that?

Silvally ?
32 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Dragon: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO
32 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Rock: 367-432 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Swampert ?
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 322-385 (79.7 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Heatran ?
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran in Harsh Sunshine: 222-263 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Zapdos ?
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 242-286 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Blissey ?
32 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 317-374 (44.3 - 52.3%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO
(You need very little chip damage to be able to 2HKO it)

I'm not saying that Genesect needs to click the right move every time to be able to do something, I'm saying that it's not possible to manage it without losing a Pokémon, it's just luck at this level.

And this is only one set, what if it was Scarf for Revenge Kill easily? Band? Specs? in addition to being AoA or Sweeper with Shift Gear.
It's impossible to predict which Genesect you're dealing with, and which move it's going to click, it's also impossible to pressure it constantly in a match and make it come on any Pokémon on your team because it can come via voltturn, hard on a Pokémon it can tank, or revenge kill.

If you have a way to handle it easily, please tell me because I don't understand why most of the AAA community doesn't find it strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)