Pokémon Alola Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the set I run. You can use it as lead pokemon.

Alolem (Golem-Alola) @ toxic orb
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Rock Polish
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Have been running this set on showdown and it's pretty good. Rock Polish to set up the speed. Then facade get's STAB from Galvanize and extra damage from toxic orb. If you are low on health just use explosion and you can take down your opponent with you. Earthquake against electric type opponent such as Xurkitree.

How good is he at trapping steels actually? I still prefer a faster trapper like Dugtrio, but I really hoped that A-Golem would be an interesting pick.

Curious what you guys think about the potential of a Counter set. Alolan Golem's main problem as a trapper is that it really struggles to do enough damage to common steels (and taking quadruple damage from EQ doesn't help). If you can get Golem in via double-switching or a slow Volt Switch or U-Turn, this set allows Golem to take pretty much any physical hit and KO back with Counter. I made this set specifically for trapping Mega Metagross (which is a huge threat at the moment). Golem can easily take one Hammer Arm or Earthquake and KO back with Counter.

Golem-Alola @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Wild Charge
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock / Volt Switch

How good is he at trapping steels actually? I still prefer a faster trapper like Dugtrio, but I really hoped that A-Golem would be an interesting pick.
Golem-Alola only really distinguishes itself in trapping Skarmory and Celesteela, and hitting harder with his higher attack and STAB Rock/Electric coverage which covers quite a good amount of threats. As a steel trapper, he distinguishes himself hitting physically instead of specially like Magnezone/Magneton. This should go without saying, but he completely out classes Probopass.

You really want a positive attack nature and Choice Band to get the most power for some needed OHKOs on Skarmory and Celesteela, as well as on Genesect with Stone Edge after entry hazard damage. I haven't tried a Scarf set myself; Golem reaches ~283 speed, so he still isn't really capable of outspeeding much unless you also invest in a Speed nature, which let's you reach 310, and by then the drop in power doesn't look too enticing. Golem-A also misses out on trapping Ferrothorn. Also something Golem likes is Sandstorm to compensate his poor SpD, turning OHKOs into 2HKOs.

Dugtrio is a better pick if you ask me, because he can wear a choice band while outspeeding more stuff and still hitting hard. Dugtrio overall also traps more than just Steel types, so he is more versatile and more easily fit into teams. Golem-A should be considered over him only if his niche of trapping the steel-flyers is that important; he faces some competition with Magnezone in that regard, even though he also distinguishes himself with resisting fire and hitting physically.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
If people ran air balloon on it it could counter heatran if it didn't switch into an attack, but that's about it, never seen one of these thing live long enough to see its first attack

Yeah he needs a ton of support to be effective in OU; Sandstorm, psychic terrain to avoid priority from Azumarril and Scizor while outspeeding them, a teammate to remove ground types, has to switch in to a resisted hit (preferably physical, and even better if it's choice locked)... list goes on. He still has his niche in OU, but I think it's even a smaller than Magnezone's niche is and Magnezone wasn't seeing much usage in the past gen to begin with. I guess having two important Steel flying types to trap and being able to OHKO choice locked Genesect after SR damage is cool.

Problem I have with Air baloon is the same problem I have with choice scarf and any other item besides choice band; the Attack power drop is noticeable.

Yeah he needs a ton of support to be effective in OU; Sandstorm, psychic terrain to avoid priority from Azumarril and Scizor while outspeeding them, a teammate to remove ground types, has to switch in to a resisted hit (preferably physical, and even better if it's choice locked)... list goes on. He still has his niche in OU, but I think it's even a smaller than Magnezone's niche is and Magnezone wasn't seeing much usage in the past gen to begin with. I guess having two important Steel flying types to trap and being able to OHKO choice locked Genesect after SR damage is cool.

Problem I have with Air baloon is the same problem I have with choice scarf and any other item besides choice band; the Attack power drop is noticeable.
Is bullet punch an issue? With part electric, Alola Golem does not have a steel weakness.

Golem-Alola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Return
- Rock Slide

I've been running an Assault Vest set to a relatively decent amount of success. It allows Galvanize variants to be able to take a hit from Flash Cannon Magnezone, and multiple other key threats and OHKO with EQ or a respective other coverage move. This Pokemon's more about longevity so I'm a little more inclined to use Return rather than Double Edge or Explosion.

How would Golem work as a suicide lead? I need a stealth rock user, and Galvanized Explosion seems pretty strong...

How would Golem work as a suicide lead? I need a stealth rock user, and Galvanized Explosion seems pretty strong...
It would be pretty powerful but if the opponent brings in any ground type or anything with Lightning Rod/Motor Drive/Volt Absorb, that bomb gets defused. If they don't have any of these or you save it for later it would put quite the dent in whatever it hits.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Golem-A @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge / Return
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Lets make this clear. Golem-A wont be OU. Or UU. But this thing has promise to be a monstrosity in RU where it probably will land. Its hardcountered by Flygon, but other than that, it can punch several holes in RU teams. Flygon might not even stay in RU, which is great news for it. Really wants Superpower, Fire Punch and Ice Punch from move tutors but its great regardless.

Golem-A @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge / Return
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Lets make this clear. Golem-A wont be OU. Or UU. But this thing has promise to be a monstrosity in RU where it probably will land. Its hardcountered by Flygon, but other than that, it can punch several holes in RU teams. Flygon might not even stay in RU, which is great news for it. Really wants Superpower, Fire Punch and Ice Punch from move tutors but its great regardless.
Just curious, is flygon moving up or down a tier?

It's funny because this thing hits like a truck but the problem is actually hitting something.

0 Atk Galvanize Golem-Alola Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 246-290 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
0+ Atk Galvanize Golem-Alola Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 270-318 (88.8 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I mean there are a ton of things you 1hk0 with 0 to 4 attack EVs using galvanise explosion, brings back memories of Gen 1 explosion memes...

It will be a beast in the lower tiers though...

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Its hardcountered by Flygon
0 SpA Golem-Alola Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Flygon: 132-156 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

WERE'S YOUR GOD NOW?!
jk please don't run this dogshit

Golem-Alola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Return
- Rock Slide

I've been running an Assault Vest set to a relatively decent amount of success. It allows Galvanize variants to be able to take a hit from Flash Cannon Magnezone, and multiple other key threats and OHKO with EQ or a respective other coverage move. This Pokemon's more about longevity so I'm a little more inclined to use Return rather than Double Edge or Explosion.
I highly advise you run max speed with Adamant. As shown in the OP, there are an absurd amount of bulky Water types and walls that you can outspeed and avoid the Water move altogether, as well as a potential Scald burn. AV should still work fine without the HP investment considering your natural bulk. Jolly also has the ability to outspeed Heatran and base 80s, so it's something to consider, but I suppose at that point you may as well just run LO or Choice Band for the power.

I highly advise you run max speed with Adamant. As shown in the OP, there are an absurd amount of bulky Water types and walls that you can outspeed and avoid the Water move altogether, as well as a potential Scald burn. AV should still work fine without the HP investment considering your natural bulk. Jolly also has the ability to outspeed Heatran and base 80s, so it's something to consider, but I suppose at that point you may as well just run LO or Choice Band for the power.
Does the additional HP really not matter? Would it still live a Flash Cannon from Magnezone? (at my current EV spread, Flash Cannon does 63% roughly)

Does the additional HP really not matter? Would it still live a Flash Cannon from Magnezone? (at my current EV spread, Flash Cannon does 63% roughly)
It should be fine without the lucky crit:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Golem-Alola: 204-240 (67.7 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Its been a while since I've posted but I've come up with, what I think is a pretty good OU wallbreaking/steeltrapping set.
Golem-A @ Firium Z
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Ability: Magnet Pull
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Wild Charge
- Focus Punch
- Hammer Arm/explosion

The EV spread gives enough special attack to reliably OHKO maximum specially defensive Ferrothorn with no hazard support, enough speed to outspeed ferrothorn, mantine and skarmory (with 12 or less speed EVS), Chansey and Blissey, and the rest of the point poured into attack. 12 speed mantine seems like it may become standard so its a good point to reach to be able to check mantine.

Moveset:
Fire blast + Firium Z is to be able to OHKO ferrothorn, wild charge provides good STAB and lets Golem OHKO Mantine, which synergizes well with ferrothorn. Focus Punch and Hammer arm are useful for checking Chansey and Blissey by abusing Focus Punch's ability to hit second so that they cannot use softboiled between hits. Explosion is an alternative which guarantees the 2HKO against chansey and is a useful finisher when Golem is finished to deal massive damage even without Galvanize, however if there are still steel types that need to be trapped it would be useful to not be forced to sacrifice Golem.

Damage Calcs with explanations
Ferrothorn:
252+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
75% chance to OHKO Maximum specially defensive ferrothorn. This sets major purpose is to counter ferrothorn so while most ferrothorns don't have this high a special defense investment, I feel it is necessary since that is the primary purpose for this set.

Skarmory:
252+ SpA Golem-Alola Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 138-164 (41.3 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 176-210 (52.6 - 62.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Golem-Alola Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 204-242 (61 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 134-158 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Golem-Alola Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 148-176 (44.3 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Golem-Alola Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 194-230 (58 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Skarmory has no way to threaten Golem outside of toxic, and golem should outspeed with the given EV spread. Wild Charge + Fire Blast will always 2HKO if used in combination regardless of the Skarmory set. Focus punch is relevant since if the skarmory attempts to roost spam, focus punch can be used to hit after the roost for SE damage and guarantee a KO. If for some reason the Skarmory has a significant speed investment it will likely attempt to stall out this set.

Mantine:
40 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 424-504 (113.3 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Mantine Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Golem-Alola: 228-270 (75.7 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Mantine seems to be making a splash in OU since it got +20 base HP, and roost access this gen. While not able to serve as a counter to Mantine, golem is able to check it with this build as it outspeeds and OHKOs even max defense Mantine. Mantine and ferrothorn cover each other's weaknesses very well so I suspect they will start showing up on teams together.

Blissey:
40 Atk Golem-Alola Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 474-558 (66.3 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Golem-Alola Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 316-372 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Golem-Alola Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 394-464 (55.1 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Golem is able to Cheese Blissey through Focus punch abuse allowing Golem to hit twice without Blissey being able to use softboiled since Golem should outspeed and focus punch will always strike after the opponent attacks.

Chansey:
40 Atk Golem-Alola Focus Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 346-408 (53.8 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
40 Atk Golem-Alola Hammer Arm vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 230-272 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
40 Atk Golem-Alola Explosion vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 288-339 (44.8 - 52.8%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO
Chansey is the same as Blissey however Chansey has a chance to survive Focus Punch + Hammer arm, This is the primary reason to use explosion over Hammer arm as your chance to 2HKO becomes fairly reliable.

Celesteela:
40 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 168-198 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Golem-Alola Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 152-180 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 256-302 (64.3 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
40 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 230-272 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Celesteela Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Golem-Alola: 199-235 (66.1 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I'm not familiar with the popular Celesteela sets, however Golem should be able to trap and 2HKO Celesteela with proper prediction, and unless Celesteela has significant speed investment this golem set will outspeed it.

Other Options:
An EV Spread of 48 Atk/236 SpA/216 Spe with a lonely nature allows Golem-A a 100% chance to OHKO 252 HP/168 SpDef (OU Utility) with Inferno Overdrive, which increases Golem-A's ability to break other walls with the higher attack.

For even more power to check walls using its physical attacks you can run life orb with the original spread (40 Atk, 252SpAtk,216Spe, Rash nature) but you have only a 18.8% chance to OHKO with fire blast. This raises to 93.8% with one layer of spikes, or 56.3% with SR. 2 layers of spikes, or 1 layer with SR guarantee the OHKO.

Galvanize can be run over magnet pull if you believe the set will catch your opponent off guard in which case double edge should replace wild charge. This is risky because there is the potential for the opponent to switch out their ferrothorn. That being said Galvanize explosion on this set has a 18.8% chance to OHKO chansey, 100% chance to OHKO Blissey, 100% chance to OHKO Skarmory(watch out for sturdy though), 100% chance to OHKO max defense Celesteela. It also allows Golem to check Slowbro since double edge does at least 70% and explosion OHKOs, Explosion even OHKOS max defense mega slowbro. It also OHKOs Toxapex which can check the standard set.

Closing Statement:
The main draw to this set is its ability to hard counter Ferrothorn, but the thing that sets it apart as a trapper is its ability to also serve as a check to many other walls in the format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)