Pokémon Alola Marowak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want only to underline that Alolan Raichu (a strong Electric Terrain abuser) has Surf in order to get past this thing, so it is worth mentioning alongside Lanturn (is this thing OU?) and Rotom-W.
Yikes, that's good to know. None of the Alolachu I've fought so far ran Surf, so I never knew that was a danger.

Singles Calc:
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 273-322 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 598-704 (229.1 - 269.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Doubles Calc with Tapu Koko partner:
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 205-242 (63.2 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 122-144 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 448-528 (171.6 - 202.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 296-350 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

On the bright side, Raichu can't OHKO Alolawak on its own regardless of what set it runs, and in doubles it needs its partner-in-crime Tapu Koko to help focus it down with Brave Bird or itemless Acrobatics. If that isn't available or Alolachu doesn't Surf on the switch-in, Alolawak puts both of them in the ground, and this is before thinking about what Alolawak's partner does during the chaos (personally I'd have Celesteela throw up Wide Guard).

Yikes, that's good to know. None of the Alolachu I've fought so far ran Surf, so I never knew that was a danger.

Singles Calc:
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 273-322 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 598-704 (229.1 - 269.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 205-242 (63.2 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 122-144 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 448-528 (171.6 - 202.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 296-350 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

On the bright side, Raichu can't OHKO Alolawak on its own regardless of what set it runs, and in doubles it needs its partner-in-crime Tapu Koko to help focus it down with Brave Bird or itemless Acrobatics. If that isn't available or Alolachu doesn't Surf on the switch-in, Alolawak puts both of them in the ground, and this is before thinking about what Alolawak's partner does during the chaos (personally I'd have Celesteela throw up Wide Guard).
A-Raichu in a Rain team will always run Surf (which will OHKO A-Marowak), just something to keep in mind. But wow, A-Mariwak is surprisingly quite bulky.

I posted something similar in The OU Bazaar but I figure I'll briefly touch on it here. Click the link to read the entirety of my write up tho...

This guy forms a really nice core with Alolan Ninetales and Mega Gyarados. They have really nice type synergy, and most of the stuff that kills Marowak you can use as bait/a sacrifice to get Aurora Veil up and sweep with Gyarados. The typing+ability of Marowak is reeeeally cool right now, and it's a relatively safe switch to set up a check/RK something dangerous.

So I just evolved my Rock Head Cubone and got a Cursed Body Marowak-Alolan, do any of you actually have a Rock Head Alolan Marowak or this just speculation? If it can't get RH then Lightning Rod would be the go to ability, I think.

So I just evolved my Rock Head Cubone and got a Cursed Body Marowak-Alolan, do any of you actually have a Rock Head Alolan Marowak or this just speculation? If it can't get RH then Lightning Rod would be the go to ability, I think.
The way I see it is Lightning Rod is the preferred ability 95% of the time right now anyways. aMarowak is absolutely amazing right now considering the plethora of high priority mons it covers.

Singles Calc:

Also, the odds A-Marowak will get some prior damage(like say U-Turn) makes Surf an bigger threat, especially because of the frequent Rain Support and Life Orb A-Raichu has. Maybe Sun support would be useful for Wak, not only reducing water damage, but also eliminating opposing weather influence( Hail/Sand residual damage.)

Question: What does a 252/253 Attack and Speed EV set accomplish for an Adamant A-Marowak? I ask because some youtubers I noticed were running this spread (Pokeaim and Emvee) over the Attack/HP spread in the OP.

Vague

Banned deucer.
Question: What does a 252/253 Attack and Speed EV set accomplish for an Adamant A-Marowak? I ask because some youtubers I noticed were running this spread (Pokeaim and Emvee) over the Attack/HP spread in the OP.
it's mainly for being able to dismantle stall builds effectively and is usually paired with swords dance, STABs, and bonerang. it's not that great of a set actually since it's defensive qualities is what makes it such a good mon which makes the offensive tank set (248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe w/ STABs, wisp + rocks) it's most common and currently best set. many people run a fully specially defensive version too but imo that fits more onto more passive builds.

it's mainly for being able to dismantle stall builds effectively and is usually paired with swords dance, STABs, and bonerang. it's not that great of a set actually since it's defensive qualities is what makes it such a good mon which makes the offensive tank set (248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe w/ STABs, wisp + rocks) it's most common and currently best set. many people run a fully specially defensive version too but imo that fits more onto more passive builds.
Derp, I meant 252 obviously above. Hate typing on my phone.

That's good to know. I was curious because I wanted to do a M-Dos/A-Marowak core since I think they cover each other pretty well but I wasn't sure how I wanted to EV train my Cubone.

Isn't Stealth Rock illegal on A-Wak? It's not an egg move for it in S/M, and iirc with Alolan breeding mechanics, would only fall to regular Marowak. Someone made the comment on Stealth Rox and I don't think that sounds right.

Isn't Stealth Rock illegal on A-Wak? It's not an egg move for it in S/M, and iirc with Alolan breeding mechanics, would only fall to regular Marowak. Someone made the comment on Stealth Rox and I don't think that sounds right.
Teach Stealth Rock to a pre-Gen VII Cubone, then evolve it in Alola. At least, it should work that way.

But until PokeBank is out for Sun and Moon... it's unavailable.

Cubone only evolve into A-Marowak in S/M, so it technically is until January.

What actually is the best number of speed EV's to invest in A-Marowak?

I read somewhere that it was 148-ish? to outspeed base 65's?? Yet the OP only mentions 124 EV's to outspeed base 60's??

I'm confused.

Just gonna mention that they do get flame charge for a speed boost if you wanna use it with its bone thick club bone item
Plus flare blitz looks fun with no recoil damage
Do love how togedemaru is a good support for A marowak with its magnet rise wish and u turn

I've tried this thing out on Showdown and it's very underwhelming. Even with flame charge it's still way too slow, and it's not very good at taking hits either even if you invest in bulk especially since it has a fair number of weaknesses. I don't know what tier it'll be but it'll certainly be below OU. It might be ok under Trick Room room but then again a lot of things are.

I've tried this thing out on Showdown and it's very underwhelming. Even with flame charge it's still way too slow, and it's not very good at taking hits either even if you invest in bulk especially since it has a fair number of weaknesses. I don't know what tier it'll be but it'll certainly be below OU. It might be ok under Trick Room room but then again a lot of things are.
Why are you even running Flame Charge? Marowak is meant to pivot in on certain threats and punish the switch in with either a powerful attack or Will-o-wisp. Hell Sp.Def Marowak doesn't even run Thick Club because it tanks hits surprisingly well due to its numerous resistances + Immunities.

Dumb question, but how do you get rocks or Fire Punch on the Alolan form? I thought Cubone transferred over would evolve into regular Marowak?

Why are you even running Flame Charge? Marowak is meant to pivot in on certain threats and punish the switch in with either a powerful attack or Will-o-wisp. Hell Sp.Def Marowak doesn't even run Thick Club because it tanks hits surprisingly well due to its numerous resistances + Immunities.
I've heard some people bring up a flame charge set which I thought was silly. This thing can do well in VGC doubles with Lightningrod.

This mon is putting a lot of work in every match and I end up throwing it onto a lot of teams because its role compression is great. Here's the set I have ended up with:

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Ice Beam / Will O Wisp / Rock Slide

Im really enjoying the mixture of power and utility that a specially defensive thick club set is giving me. I know that without leftovers you get chipped down more, but marowak gets so much value for money out of thick club that i cant really pass it up- a 400 attack stat without having to invest a point in it is great. In the last slot I have started using Ice Beam to 2hko landorus-t, who I'm finding switches into Marowak a lot. Will-O-Wisp will cripple it also, but Im appreciating the ability to just chunk it for half its hp at the moment, and if Grassy terrain is up (bulu is a good partner) then Marowak will just beat defensive landorus-t easily.

This mon is putting a lot of work in every match and I end up throwing it onto a lot of teams because its role compression is great. Here's the set I have ended up with:

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Ice Beam / Will O Wisp / Rock Slide

Im really enjoying the mixture of power and utility that a specially defensive thick club set is giving me. I know that without leftovers you get chipped down more, but marowak gets so much value for money out of thick club that i cant really pass it up- a 400 attack stat without having to invest a point in it is great. In the last slot I have started using Ice Beam to 2hko landorus-t, who I'm finding switches into Marowak a lot. Will-O-Wisp will cripple it also, but Im appreciating the ability to just chunk it for half its hp at the moment, and if Grassy terrain is up (bulu is a good partner) then Marowak will just beat defensive landorus-t easily.
How effective have you found Ice Beam to be on A-Wak? I'm not thinking of an good reason to run it over a rock move since both cover flying. Only thing I can think of offhand is garchomp.

its literally just for the lando switchin, garchomp gets hit for a 2hko after rocks by an uninvested shadow bone. its just something i found i could use on my team after playing with it a few times, but i've also found rock slide super useful so it can act as a volcarona/zard-y answer and grant edgequake coverage. honestly i would rate rock slide to be better but i just wanted to show another response that marowak could have to lando outside of will-o-wisp.

0 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 440-520 (148.1 - 175%)

8 SpA Marowak-Alola Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-Therian: 180-216 (47.2 - 56.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

What actually is the best number of speed EV's to invest in A-Marowak?

I read somewhere that it was 148-ish? to outspeed base 65's?? Yet the OP only mentions 124 EV's to outspeed base 60's??

I'm confused.
124 should carry you past Base 60s like Clefable (as well as slower ones like Chansey), though 132 will assure that you outpace Celesteela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)