Alolan Raichu Discussion

Should be able to find a home in UU I would think. An electric type with access to NP is going to see some use at least as long as UU remains the bulky water tier (which it probably will). Outclasses Raikou unless you're super desperate for Raikou's defensive bulk. Otherwise the late game super speed sweep sounds great too.
Raikou and Raichu aren't very comparable since Raichu is 100% dependent on Topu Koko and Electric Terrain. It's far more comparable to Kingdra which is an absolute monster in rain. Raichu will see OU play for as long as Topu Koko is in OU, and other than that it might see UU but suffers comp with Heliolisk which trades one point of speed for a better attack stat.

Am I the only one that things that thing won't see much play after the new toy systome and Pokebank mons are out?
Swift Swim is a broken ability. So much so that people play with shitty pokemon like Politoad just to give their pokemon that boost. Topo Koko is not a shitty pokemon, and forms the beginning of a volt turn core with Raichu. It might not be dominant, but will definitely be paired with Koko every time.

Am I the only one that things that thing won't see much play after the new toy systome and Pokebank mons are out?
If Electric Terrain becomes a legit playstyle, Alolan Raichu will become a staple on Electric Terrain teams as it's probably going to be the best sweeper under that Terrain. With base 110 Speed and Surge Surfer, it can afford to go Modest for more power + Nasty Plot for even more power.

Just think of Kabutops and Kingdra. Not OU but a staple of a very good playstyle.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Stat change anything big, 5 from Attack & Defense was put into Special Attack & Special Defense. I'm kind of wondering if that was worth the effort, or if more shouldn't have been redistributed.

In addition to Psychic and Psyshock it gets two new toys. From level-up (or rather Move Reminder) it can get Speed Swap and by Egg Moves it can get Electric Terrain (um, shouldn't that be the opposite way around?).

So while the changes are subtle, I would say it does set the stage for a different Raichu strategy. Not just in STABs, but have Alolan Raichu (or a partner, maybe one with the Ability to do it...) activate Electric Terrain and at some point, whether it being the plan or Alolan Raichu is about to faint, you can have it use Speed Swap to give its high Speed to a slower partner.

It's too early to say if surf is or isn't in raichu's set, none of the hm moves are listed as far as I've seen. But still, alola raichu has the potential to be one of the fastest mons in the entire series history

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's too early to say if surf is or isn't in raichu's set, none of the hm moves are listed as far as I've seen. But still, alola raichu has the potential to be one of the fastest mons in the entire series history
That's because there are no HMs, barring some event in the future Alolan Raichu isn't getting Surf any time soon.

You didn't look at my screens ?
You can import a Pikachu from a different game and make it evolves in Alolan Raichu in Moon Sun.
And thus, have Surf.

And if I transfer a Pichu/Pikachu from previous generation does it evolve into its Alolan form?
Just out of curiosity can Alolan Raichu still get Volt Tackle? It's not listed for some reason.
To respond do both, Pichu still gets Volt Tackle from breeding, so yes, and Gen 3-6 Pikachu cannot evolve into Alolan Raichu, but if you were to breed a Pichu from them that Pichu would evolve into Alolan Raichu.

Do we have any way to get bona fide proof about this x-gen evolution deal? I trust a photo of this "Gen 6 A-Raichu" about as much as I trust a grainy photo from leak season, especially when we have people saying otherwise left and right, but do we have some explanation for those photos? Like did someone just straight up hack and lie about it?

And even if the photos are legit and Surf is accessible to A-Raichu, does A-Raichu NEED Surf? I'd lean towards no, but it's definitely a nice option. Probably its best for coverage.

Pikachu gets electro ball. what about a doubles for A-raichu and Tapu Koko set with Electro Ball, Agility/Nasty Plot, Psyshock Thunder/Thunderbolt/Nasty Plot/Agility?

To respond do both, Pichu still gets Volt Tackle from breeding, so yes, and Gen 3-6 Pikachu cannot evolve into Alolan Raichu, but if you were to breed a Pichu from them that Pichu would evolve into Alolan Raichu.
Wait so does this mean Arena Trap Dugtrio won't be legal for Battle spot/VGC?

So wait how can you be sure about that Gen 1-3 to 6 Pikachus can't become Alolan Raichus?

To my understanding, that is wrong. Any Pokemon with an Alolan form will evolve into its Alolan form, regardless of where it came from. If you transfer a Kalos Pikachu to Alola, it WILL evolve into Alolan Raichu.

Edit: from an earlier post. Read where it was caught. http://www.noelshack.com/2016-45-1478904810-wp-20161111-016.jpg

Wait, really? I thought I saw something disprove this. Huh, this changes things quite a bit.
I'm hesitant to trust it, simply because I can't find a Gen 6 event Pikachu that's both shiny AND knows Surf. So we really don't have anything to show that this isn't hacked.

I'm with you; I think I saw a page that said non-Alolan Exeggcute (and by extension, Cubone and Pikachu) would still evolve into non-Alolan Exeggutor if evolved in Alola. But for the life of me, I can't find it. I was hoping someone would've tried it by now.

Being one of the only 4 fake out users this gen it will see usuage. Would be great to run with air balloon similar to some old raichu spreads so not to be effected by tapu Lulu's psychic terrain on first turn fake out.

If weather/terrain combos become a thing this gen (which it very well could, especially in VGC), this thing can clean pretty well with Rain/Electric Terrain boosted Thunder. Also, great Doubles utility moves with Fake Out, Speed Swap, Encore, and Wish. Not to mention it can set-up Electric Terrain on its own, essentially giving it +2 Speed and a +1 to one of its STABs, which could be a decent move to consider even in lower-tier singles, if it lands there.

Luckily, it actually benefits from all the terrains in some way. Electric is obvious. Psychic boosts a different one of its STABs, and with 110 Base Speed it definitely appreciates the blocked priority, especially Shadow Sneak. Grassy basically relieves one of its weaknesses in Ground (considering 90% of offensive Ground moves are EQ). Not much to be gained from Fairy, but not much to lose either. I think terrain versatility is going to be very important this gen, and Raichu really does well in all of them.

Raichu-A won't be OU because its checks are everywhere (Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Garchomp) but is a potential UU, or even BL.

Raichu-A @ Alolaraichum Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Surf/Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice/Focus Blast/Electric Terrain

How this cam be UU/BL specially if Tapu Koko is not expectwd to be UU? Yeah, don't forget that Alolan Raichu has a 175 BP STAB that jas supposedly (check out to confirming it) 100% chance of paralysis. This means that if you don't have an Electric, Ground or something like Ferrothorn, you are vulnerable to it.

The only problem is the only supposedly viable Electric Terrain setter in UU except itself can't extend its duration because its M-Ampharos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)