Alphabet Cup

I've played this metagame for a few days now and I've noticed that Butterfree can make for a somewhat reliable Smeargle replacement when you have another "S" Pokemon in your party.

My Butterfree currently has:

Sleep Powder (learned)
Belly Drum (B)
Baton Pass (B)
Quiver Dance (learned)

Thanks to its ability Compound Eyes, the 75% accuracy of Sleep Powder is bumped up to 91% in the absence of Spore. Theoretically you could give this Butterfree a Wide Lens to amp up this accuracy even more, but then it wouldn't have a Focus Sash in order to have a guaranteed turn to pull off Sleep Powder.

This Butterfree can serve many of its teammates' needs. If you need a 4x Attack boost, Belly Drum will get it done. If you want a solid Sp Atk, Sp Def, and Speed increase, then you can use Quiver Dance.

However, this Butterfree has no attacking moves, so it will be completely shut out by Taunt. If it is the last Pokemon in your party, your opponent will automatically win. But, if you want an "S" Pokemon on your team that's not Smeargle, Butterfree is a solid choice.
Yeah butterfree is very cool in this meta. With accesses to powerfull moves like blue flare and boomburst, It's quite strong actually. It can be used as a sweeper, or a baton passer. Not the best, but has a nice niche

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Both Lati
So when steam eruption gets implemented who'll be the best candidate for it? For that matter are there any good users of diamond storm and light of ruin?
Light of Ruin - Both the Latis and Lucario, Landorus-I, maybe Ludicolo.
Steam Eruption - Samurott, Seismitoad, Starmie, Salamence and mixed Sharpedo, Slow twins, anything really, considering most of this group gets Shell Smash (idk if it has been banned yet), they have no problem running Mixed anyway, especially Sharpedo.

As for Diamond Storm no one gets it as STAB but there are decent users of it, like Darmanitan, Diggersby and Dugtrio. I don't remember if Storm had a secondary effect, but if it does it's gonna be a very good move for Darm.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Both Lati

Light of Ruin - Both the Latis and Lucario, Landorus-I, maybe Ludicolo.
Steam Eruption - Samurott, Seismitoad, Starmie, Salamence and mixed Sharpedo, Slow twins, anything really, considering most of this group gets Shell Smash (idk if it has been banned yet), they have no problem running Mixed anyway, especially Sharpedo.

As for Diamond Storm no one gets it as STAB but there are decent users of it, like Darmanitan, Diggersby and Dugtrio. I don't remember if Storm had a secondary effect, but if it does it's gonna be a very good move for Darm.
OH GOD STEAM ERUPTION. I FORGOT ABOUT STEAM ERUPTION.
Although, to be honest, I never saw Scald being used. Probably because Sacred Fire is generally better. But Steam Eruption will make like even more hellish for physical attackers that already get hit by burns all the time.

Diamond Storm has a chance to increase Defense, so it is indeed very good on Darm.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
OH GOD STEAM ERUPTION. I FORGOT ABOUT STEAM ERUPTION.
Although, to be honest, I never saw Scald being used. Probably because Sacred Fire is generally better. But Steam Eruption will make like even more hellish for physical attackers that already get hit by burns all the time.

Diamond Storm has a chance to increase Defense, so it is indeed very good on Darm.
*Searing Shot, in the case of special attackers

So when steam eruption gets implemented who'll be the best candidate for it? For that matter are there any good users of diamond storm and light of ruin?
Steam Eruption: Suicune, Sceptile, Swampert and Sylveon. (Sceptile is the best user, imo, having access to Spore, or with an outright offensive set of Shell Smash, Seed Flare, Searing Shot and Steam Eruption, granting it excellent coverage. Even Dragons don't want to take the chancy SpD drop from Seed Flare)

Light of Ruin: The Latis and Landorus are the best users.

Diamond Storm: Diggersby is the best user imo. But it's usually better off having Dark Void. But note that D-mons get Dragon Dance. I've seen one of two Duoblades using that. Dugtrio could use it, I guess, more reliable than Stone Edge.

Someone managed to used ESpeed Sylveon against me. That can't be right.
Seconded. Try using a Fusion Bolt + Flare Blitz Greninja. It works (Because Froakie can learn Fusion Bolt and Flare Blitz). Moves can be inherited from Pre-evos in the current ladder. Probably misinformed server coding.

Proof: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/alphabetcup-96187597 (Flare Blitz + Fusion Bolt Greninja. Defend Order + Diamond Storm Excadrill & ExtremeSpeed Sylveon)

That aside, a Freeze Shock Greninja does sound very cool. Maybe Frost Breath to mess up Thundurus, but would be a real waste of a Power Herb + Geomancy.

Last edited:
Ice Punch Infernape has really surprised me in this metagame. With a Focus Sash, my Infernape has OHKO'd and put dents in Pokemon that would threaten it normally like Thundurus, Tornadus, Gliscor. It has been the star of the team every game.

TalkTakesTime , appearently something's coded wrong. You coded this, right?
Seconded. Try using a Fusion Bolt + Flare Blitz Greninja. It works (Because Froakie can learn Fusion Bolt and Flare Blitz). Moves can be inherited from Pre-evos in the current ladder. Probably misinformed server coding.

Proof: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/alphabetcup-96187597 (Flare Blitz + Fusion Bolt Greninja. Defend Order + Diamond Storm Excadrill & ExtremeSpeed Sylveon)

canno

formerly The Reptile
Slaking = SKILL SWAP, SHELL SMASH, SOFTBOILED, AND SPORE!
Slaking is mad powerful. It does have 4MSS though, since it needs to run Skill Swap and Return for STAB, leaving 2 moves. Still think it's a top tier mon though. Personally, I run Sacred Fire and a support move or Protect.

This thread seems to be focused on the letters B and S a lot, which I think is BS.

(insert 2 drums and a rimshot here)

In all seriousness, Rampardos. Rampardos has the highest base attack of all non-legendary non-mega evolutions. And now it gets Rock Wrecker and Rollout. When combined with a Life Orb, it can get off some serious damage, but when combined with a Wide Lens (yup, using a Wide Lens) and perhaps switched in on a Baton Pass with boosted Speed and Defense/Special Defense, you can get off all 5 hits of Rollout. The fifth one will have a base power of 480, which, when combined with STAB and the already high attack, can wreck practically anything. I don't have time to go to the damage calculator, but lemme be the first to say holy s***.

EDIT: Sans Wide Lens, the odds of Rollout hitting all 5 times is (9/10)^5, which comes out to...about 59%. Better than Sheer Cold, but that's not saying much.

Speaking of Sheer Cold, Lapras gets Lock-On. 100% accurate Sheer Cold is my kind of Sheer Cold.

TalkTakesTime

as shallow as a plate of cereal
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Both Rock Wrecker and Rollout are kind of terrible to be honest. The problem is that Rampardos is very frail; while it has immense power, it's going to be very hard pressed to either survive for the 4 turns it would take to get to the 480 BP Rollout, or to survive the revenge kill after it uses Rock Wrecker. Because it takes a minimum of 2 turns to set up, plus it has to be brought in on something that can't immediately KO it, it's really not worth the effort. It could be ok with Head Smash or Stone Edge, but it doesn't really gain anything other than Rapid Spin, Recover, and maybe Rock Blast, none of which it can really make great use of. I just don't see Rampardos ever being worth using in this, because it has the same problems as it always does, and almost everything else gains more than it does, so it just sinks even further into obscurity.

re: Lock On Sheer Cold Lapras, that combination already exists (Articuno has it). There's a reason it never gets used; OHKO moves are banned. Apart from that, you can always just switch out of Lock On and its effect disappears, so it's not exactly reliable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)