Alphabet Cup

I haven't seen Heatran seen hyped up on here. That's a shame, because it can wall. Earlier on this thread, I posted a 59-turn Heatran stall. Here's the set:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Hurricane
- Heal Order
- Horn Leech
- Fire Blast

This Heatran can wall some serious sh*t. The Defense allows it to wall some uses of EQ (and sometimes, you can predict one and switch into a Thundurus), as does the HP. The Attack is helpful (I would've put Eruption on it 'cuz Heal Order and Horn Leech help it stay at high HP, but it's not allowed) for Horn Leech. To be honest, it does need some Sp. Atk boosts to the EVs, but I'm new at the entire "make a team" thing (and the Special Attack helps a LOT). I also have a Breloom, Scizor, and Aegislash on my team, so if someone sends out a Latias while one of those three is out, I just switch in to Heatran and get the Flash Fire boost (take that, Lava Plume). Hurricane is for Fighting types (and Dragons when needed), Heal Order is to wall opponents, Horn Leech is for Water and Ground types (and to get HP back up), and Fire Blast is for STAB (and using Flash Fire).

I haven't seen Heatran seen hyped up on here. That's a shame, because it can wall. Earlier on this thread, I posted a 59-turn Heatran stall. Here's the set:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Hurricane
- Heal Order
- Horn Leech
- Fire Blast

This Heatran can wall some serious sh*t. The Defense allows it to wall some uses of EQ (and sometimes, you can predict one and switch into a Thundurus), as does the HP. The Attack is helpful (I would've put Eruption on it 'cuz Heal Order and Horn Leech help it stay at high HP, but it's not allowed) for Horn Leech. To be honest, it does need some Sp. Atk boosts to the EVs, but I'm new at the entire "make a team" thing (and the Special Attack helps a LOT). I also have a Breloom, Scizor, and Aegislash on my team, so if someone sends out a Latias while one of those three is out, I just switch in to Heatran and get the Flash Fire boost (take that, Lava Plume). Hurricane is for Fighting types (and Dragons when needed), Heal Order is to wall opponents, Horn Leech is for Water and Ground types (and to get HP back up), and Fire Blast is for STAB (and using Flash Fire).
fml

Hey guys! I've been doing this OM on ps and having tons of fun! Then I was like 'I bet there's a thread for this' lol so here I am. Anyway, just wanted to share some cool ideas (lots have already been mentioned)

Snorlax with Leftovers
Thick fat 252hp 252SpD 4At
Curse
Slack off (it's about stinking time!! Makes so much sense for a natural move)
Body Slam
Sacred fire/EQ/Crunch
This set is amazing! He tanks special hits like a boss, then physical ones at a couple boosts. Hits hard with some boosts that aren't hard at all to set up. Normal + fire coverage is great (dang you heatran), but EQ is viable as is Cruch for dem ghosts. Paralysis and burn chances can be really helpful to cripple offensive mons and wear down some walls like hippo that might take a while to beat with body slam.

Machamp with Leftovers
Guts 252Hp 252At 4SpD
Bulk up
Milk drink
Mach punch (also GF, like really?)
StoneEdge/knock off/meh idk other coverage or STAB
This is my other bulky setup mon that I love. Solid priority, good bulk, coverage move. Only problem is that he doesn't have a strong STAB, so I guess you could run CC over Mach punch but the priority is so useful. Often I find myself getting two boosts and taking out the offensive mons with MP and using SE for everything else. WAIT! Not NoGuard? :O Yes. Guts works great on this set because I don't run dynamic punch or for that matter any strong STAB. And since everyone sees a Machamp and automatically thinks dynamic punch set they will go for a ghost and burn him. I BU on the switch, get another on the burn turn, heal when needed, and am sitting at a nice +3.

Surely more sets to come, but for now, if you are in need of a bulky setup attacker give one of these two a try!

I feel as though there is always that point in certain games where it's Thundurus vs Thundurus, and then it's down to the speed tie. Also, what are your favourite E-speed users? Personally, I use Excadrill, but i'd like to know some other opinions (Escavalier etc).

I feel as though there is always that point in certain games where it's Thundurus vs Thundurus, and then it's down to the speed tie. Also, what are your favourite E-speed users? Personally, I use Excadrill, but i'd like to know some other opinions (Escavalier etc).
Personally I've been using this Linoone Setup:

Linoone @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Low Kick

It doesn't benefit hugely from the fact it can learn Low Kick, and it's definitely viable outside of alphabet cup, but given a free turn to set up this thing does huge damage regardless of it's 50% chance for crit thanks to gluttony + the lansat berry.

The deoxys forms probably should be doing other things, like hazard laying or DeoS can do some attacking. Dream Eater is a neat move but often not very useful :/ .

Personally I've been using this Linoone Setup:

Linoone @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Low Kick

It doesn't benefit hugely from the fact it can learn Low Kick, and it's definitely viable outside of alphabet cup, but given a free turn to set up this thing does huge damage regardless of it's 50% chance for crit thanks to gluttony + the lansat berry.
With belly drum being more widely distributed, there are probably better things to do it in this meta. Linoone is good in normal metas where he has the niche if being the only belly drum + strong priority user. Now Bisharp (better defensively and coverage), Bouffalant (Same reasons, but no priority) and others. Low kick is a nice addition though

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/alphabetcup-101471882

Here's a close battle I had recently (I'm on the right btw). I confess I made some pretty bad plays (like Knocking Off Escavalier's CB for instance), but it's all for fun, you know?

Here's the team I used. My nicknames are inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and I tried to avoid anything too mainstream.

Defender (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 48 SAtk / 252 HP / 192 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Bulky tank that uses Volt Switch for momentum. Takes Spores and can dispel Toxic Spikes if need be.

Gladiator (Breloom) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Bullet Seed

Well, I kinda wanted to use BD Breloom. I've never seen it sweep (nor will I probably ever) but it could catch someone off guard.

Tinker (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald

Hazard control. Can easily come in on Spore and Will-o-Wisp thanks to Natural Cure.

White Mage (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Aromatherapy

I love Unaware Clefable in this meta. In a metagame where setup sweepers run amok, getting this beast in and throwing a Clear Smog in their faces is always satisfying.

Lanista (Eelektross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Drain Punch
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off

E-Speed user and bulky attacker, providing utility with Knock Off and momentum with Volt Switch.

Trickster (Pyroar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Parting Shot
- Hyper Voice
- Psystrike

Choice Scarf revenge killer that can use Parting Shot for momentum. Psystrike is an interesting tool that hits Blissey harder and surprise Geomancy Gengar (as seen in the replay).
Any suggestions for improvement? I'm considering running EQ over Drain Punch on Eelektross since my team gets stomped all over by Heatran (or perhaps HP Ground over Hyper Voice or Psystrike on Pyroar). Also considering a better sweeper than Breloom.

Has it been mentioned yet that Gardevoir not only gets Geomancy but can run it with Stored Power? That's 140+STAB damage. That's pretty scary.

Just remembered a strategy I thought of a while ago...Electivire and Emolga now get Electrify, which is just a free speed boost. They both have okay speed, but that strategy could just rack up a bunch of speed boosts. Just a thought.

EDIT: It's a free speed boost if they have Motor Drive as their ability.

Just remembered a strategy I thought of a while ago...Electivire and Emolga now get Electrify, which is just a free speed boost. They both have okay speed, but that strategy could just rack up a bunch of speed boosts. Just a thought.

EDIT: It's a free speed boost if they have Motor Drive as their ability.
Boosts are almost nothing in this tier if you don't have priority. Electivire and Emolga do get ExtremeSpeed, but they don't have enough Attack to KO Thundurus. Electivire gets Meditate, but a +1 is not enough too, if the Thundurus runs 252 HP. If Electivire is of any use in the tier, it's that it can run a defensive spread and have Endeavour + ESpeed. And that is only gimmicky at best; also fails completely against Ghost types.

Has it been mentioned yet that Gardevoir not only gets Geomancy but can run it with Stored Power? That's 140+STAB damage. That's pretty scary.
As already mentioned, never set up Geomancy until you have taken out Thundurus and Special Walls (Gardevoir gets Psyshock, so it wouldn't care much about Special Walls though). That'd be an utter waste of Power Herb. Greninja is the current best user of Geomancy, in my opinion. Outspeeds and KOs Thundurus with Protean Ice Beam and can safely set up Geomancy late-game. It also gets Giga Drain to deal with Quagsire, but has little else to deal damage to Unaware Clefairy and Chansey/Blissey.

Has Cosmic Power/ Cotton Guard Chansey been tested yet?
Cotton Guard definitely has, but I'm not sure it has been tested with Cosmic Power. I mean, there are more viable members (here's looking at you, Cresselia (got PP stalled into a loss by a Cosmic Power Cresselia (long story))), but that would absolutely work.

I have experimented with a rather weird set on Kyurem-Black. It works quite well as a physical counter. With Kings Shield, Knock Off, Fusion Bolt, and Ice Beam with full Defense investment. King Shield ends any sweep in an instant and Kyurem-B's high defensive bulk and natural atk makes it easy to hit back with Fusion Bolt for a good chunk of damage on any pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)