Amoonguss

Overview
########
While Amoonguss may not be one of the first choices for a team, it has several unique qualities that help it stand out. Its great defensive typing gives it useful resistances to Water-, Electric-, Fighting-, Fairy-, and Grass-type attacks, letting it wall a myriad of common and dangerous threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Thundurus. Where Amoonguss truly shines, however, is its ability to spread debilitating status, particularly sleep, as it has access to the Spore, the only 100% accurate sleep-inducing move in the game. Amoonguss is also incredibly difficult to wear down due to its great bulk and defensive typing, awesome ability in Regenerator, access to Giga Drain, and immunity to Toxic. However, Amoonguss has one major flaw: after putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep, it can't do much to stop another Pokemon from setting up in its face. It also faces severe competition from Mega Venusaur, which is much faster, boasts overall higher stats, and has two fewer weaknesses, thanks to Thick Fat. However, between Regenerator, Spore, and the fact that Amoonguss does not take up a team's valuable Mega Evolution slot, Amoonguss certainly has value over its fellow Grass / Poison type. Overall, despite its shortcomings, if Amoonguss is played carefully, it can provide invaluable support to nearly any team.

Pivot
########
name: Pivot
move 1: Spore
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Foul Play / Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb
move 4: Stun Spore / Clear Smog
ability: Regenerator
item: Black Sludge
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
Spore is the only 100% accurate sleep move in the game and is one of the main reasons to use Amoonguss. Giga Drain is boosted by STAB and heals Amoonguss, adding to its already great bulk and longevity. Foul Play prevents Amoonguss from being setup fodder for physical attackers and lets it handle Aegislash quite nicely. Hidden Power Fire is useful for hitting the Grass-types that are immune to Spore, particularly Ferrothorn. It also hits Scizor fairly hard. Alternatively, Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss's strongest reliable STAB move and has a 30% chance to poison, though its coverage is only useful for hitting Clefable super effectively. Hidden Power Ice can be used instead if Dragon-types are of particular concern. Stun Spore is great alongside Spore, as it allows Amoonguss to spread status even further. On the other hand, Clear Smog helps prevent it from being setup bait, though some Pokemon such as Talonflame, which can threaten Amoonguss without setting up, can still use it as setup bait. In addition, Steel-type sweepers such as Lucario and Scizor are not affected by the move, so they have free reign to set up on Amoonguss if it has already put something else on the opposing team to sleep. Synthesis can be used for more reliable recovery, but it is a bit redundant with Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Black Sludge recovery, so it is generally inferior to Amoonguss's other moves.

Set Details
========
EVs are put into HP and Defense to capitalize on Amoonguss's great resistances to common physical attacks. This allows it to switch in on and stop powerful physical sweepers such as Lucario by either putting them to sleep or paralyzing them. However, a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature can be used if special attackers are more threatening to your team. Black Sludge is the preferred item, as it provides great passive healing in conjunction with Regenerator. Leftovers can be used over Black Sludge, but Black Sludge is more useful as it cripples Trick users and deters them from using Trick on Amoonguss at all.

Usage Tips
========
As it is a pivot, Amoonguss will be switching in very often throughout the match. It is very easy to switch in, thanks to its resistances, Regenerator, and its ability to wall common Pokemon.

Spore is a very powerful tool and should not be used thoughtlessly. Amoonguss will most often only be able to put one opponent to sleep in the entire match because a sleeping opponent often does not have a chance to wake up, so take note of which Pokemon you want to put to sleep before mindlessly clicking Spore. The mere threat of Spore is also very useful. Predicting which Pokemon the opponent will use as sleep fodder and capitalizing on it not only gains momentum, but it allows you to possibly put a more dangerous Pokemon on the opponent's team to sleep later in the battle. However, Amoonguss can be helpless against certain Pokemon after it has already put something else to sleep. Successfully using Spore to its greatest potential requires prediction and clever planning.

To prevent Amoonguss from being setup bait after Spore has been used, you can utilize double switches to deter the opposing team from setting up on it.

Team Options
========
Amoonguss isn't too support reliant as it is usually the one doing the supporting. It can be paired with other Regenerator users such as Slowbro to form a solid defensive core that can be very difficult to break through. Rotom-W and Heatran are good partners, as they have fantastic synergy with Amoonguss and beat Talonflame rather well. Amoonguss pairs nicely with slower sweepers if it opts for Stun Spore.

Other Options
########
An Assault Vest set with Foul Play and Clear Smog is an option as it pairs nicely with Regenerator, but it struggles to do much damage and severely misses the ability to use Spore and, to a lesser extent, Stun Spore. Because of this, it is setup fodder for a wider variety of threats than usual. Energy Ball can be used as it has 15 more Base Power than Giga Drain, though it is generally the inferior option, as Amoonguss appreciates the recovery of Giga Drain too much to give it up. Toxic is also an option, but Amoonguss would much rather spread sleep and paralysis, which are much more debilitating statuses and provide more useful support to the rest of the team.

Checks & Counters
########

**Setup Sweepers**: After it has put something to sleep, Amoonguss is setup fodder for a wide variety of Pokemon, especially ones that threaten it initially or are immune to Clear Smog. Scizor can set up on Amoonguss if it lacks Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore, while Dragonite takes little from Hidden Power Ice thanks to Multiscale and can set up on Amoonguss with Dragon Dance. Fire-types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona threaten Amoonguss with their powerful STAB moves, and can also set up on it, although they are crippled by Stun Spore.

**Strong Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, or Psychic-types**: Amoonguss might be very bulky, but like most Pokemon, it does not take super effective STAB moves very well. Pokemon such as Talonflame, Latios, Heatran, and Kyurem-B can all dent Amoonguss with their respective STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Amoonguss has problems beating certain Steel-types. As a Grass / Steel type, Ferrothorn is immune to Spore, Stun Spore, and Sludge Bomb, takes very little from Giga Drain, and is only 3HKOed by uninvested Hidden Power Fire at best. Likewise, it can set up hazards on Amoonguss, mitigating the effectiveness of Regenerator. Skarmory fears none of Amoonguss's attacks, including Hidden Power Fire, and can use it as Spikes fodder or hit it hard with Brave Bird, but it too must be cautious of Spore.

**Opposing Grass-types**: In general, opposing Grass-type Pokemon are a problem for Amoonguss, as they are immune to Spore and Amoonguss is not powerful enough to break through very many them, even with super effective attacks. Mega Venusaur in particular is neutral to Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, and Hidden Power Ice.

**Entry Hazards**: Spikes and Stealth Rock can help in wearing down Amoonguss, as they prevent it from making full use of Regenerator.

**Taunt**: Amoonguss is crippled by Taunt from the likes of Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, and Sableye. Deoxys-D in particular can set up entry hazards very easily against a Taunted Amoonguss thanks to its huge bulk.

**Clerics**: Heal Bell and Aromatherapy users are able to heal opposing teams of Amoonguss's status spreading in a single turn. Chansey in particular laughs at Amoonguss's attacks, and thanks to Natural Cure, can't be crippled by Spore or Stun Spore.

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
56 Special Attack EVs.

Does anyone remember this? I barely remember what they're for.... I'm unsure if they allow for any specific KOs or 2HKOs, but they give Amoonguss better offensive presence. They'd be good on the AV set.

56 Special Attack EVs.

Does anyone remember this? I barely remember what they're for.... I'm unsure if they allow for any specific KOs or 2HKOs, but they give Amoonguss better offensive presence. They'd be good on the AV set.
I did want to give the AV set some offensive EVs because it's a bit weak otherwise, but I'm not really sure of how many Special Attack EVs I would give it because there aren't any benchmarks I can think of. The Gen V OU benchmark was enough to break +1 Keldeo's Substitutes, but SubCM Keldeo is really rare in this metagame, so I don't know what I should use. I guess I'll just put 56 there for now.

So I talked with PK Gaming about this and we've decided the following:

Move the AV set into the OO section, it's not that good in OU because it doesn't hit that hard and doesn't get STAB on Foul Play to deal big damage on physical threats. It's mostly a sitting duck. Spore and Stun Spore prevent it from being walked all over. Also remove the point about AV in the Overview.

Remove Synthesis from the set and mention it in the comments. Also mention Hidden Power Ice in the comments if Dragons are an important target. Hidden Power Fire doesn't just hit Grass-types, it nails Genesect, Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn, etc, so say that. Amoonguss doesn't need entry hazard removal support, so remove that please. When you talk about pairing it with slow sweepers, make sure that only applies if you're actually using Stun Spore.

In the C&C section, Forretress isn't immune to Spore or Stun Spore, so I would make that clear when you talk about it. You also need to bring up Heatran, Mega Venusaur, Lucario, Scizor.. etc that can set up or switch in against it easily. HP Fire only threatens Scizor and I guess Lucario. Also, Taunt and Substitute users shut Amoonguss down. Grass-types in general that aren't damaged significantly by Sludge Bomb wall Amoonguss. Cleric users also remedy the one reason to use Amoonguss. Espeon and Xatu bounce back Spore and stuff and hit Amoonguss hard with Psychic. Flesh out the C&C Magnemite, you're missing a lot and I'm probably missing stuff too.

QC 1/3

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The 3rd bullet point in the usage tips is completely unnecessary.

Instead, you should mention that players can utilize double switches with Amoongus after Spore has been used, since Amoongus is set up fodder. Here's a scenario. After switching Amoongus into a Pokemon it counters(Rotom-W), make another switch in anticipation of the Amoongus counter.

QC 2/3

So I talked with PK Gaming about this and we've decided the following:

Move the AV set into the OO section, it's not that good in OU because it doesn't hit that hard and doesn't get STAB on Foul Play to deal big damage on physical threats. It's mostly a sitting duck. Spore and Stun Spore prevent it from being walked all over. Also remove the point about AV in the Overview.

Remove Synthesis from the set and mention it in the comments. Also mention Hidden Power Ice in the comments if Dragons are an important target. Hidden Power Fire doesn't just hit Grass-types, it nails Genesect, Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn, etc, so say that. Amoonguss doesn't need entry hazard removal support, so remove that please. When you talk about pairing it with slow sweepers, make sure that only applies if you're actually using Stun Spore.

In the C&C section, Forretress isn't immune to Spore or Stun Spore, so I would make that clear when you talk about it. You also need to bring up Heatran, Mega Venusaur, Lucario, Scizor.. etc that can set up or switch in against it easily. HP Fire only threatens Scizor and I guess Lucario. Also, Taunt and Substitute users shut Amoonguss down. Grass-types in general that aren't damaged significantly by Sludge Bomb wall Amoonguss. Cleric users also remedy the one reason to use Amoonguss. Espeon and Xatu bounce back Spore and stuff and hit Amoonguss hard with Psychic. Flesh out the C&C Magnemite, you're missing a lot and I'm probably missing stuff too.

QC 1/3
How much of the AV set should I mention in OO? Should I mention moves or just that Assault Vest is an option?

IMO there should be some sort of concentration on physical defense instead of special defense or a completely physically defensive set. This isn't (thankfully) gen 5 anymore. Amoonguss is not in an environment where it needs to stomach rain-boosted 120 base power Hydro Pumps from multiple attackers (rain offense gen 5). Now it only has to face 110 base power hydro pumps from usually one offensive water type on a team. Amoonguss can now afford to stave off water-type attackers without devoting all of its EV's to special defense. Some physical threats that Amoonguss can take on include CB Azumarill, Mega-Gyarados, and pretty much every Fighting-type outside of Mega-Medicham.

For example SD Mega-Lucario without Ice Punch:

252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 124-147 (28.7 - 34.02%) -- possible 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 249-293 (57.63 - 67.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's one of the better options in the tier to shut down Lucario since if you are below 67% you can at least sack a poke to come back in to stop the monster.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Good point, I can't believe I missed that.

The main set should be physically defensive, with a specially defensive spread mentioned in set details.

In checks and counters, should I keep the list of Pokemon that can set up on Amoonguss lumped together as "setup sweepers" or should I separate them into their own sections?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would mention somewhere the competition it has for a team slot with Mega Venusaur, a rather prominent Pokemon with the same typing and reliable (Synthesis is reliable enough nowadays) recovery, as well as more bulk and Thick Fat. It also has relevant power as well as an awesome ability in Thick Fat. These are a lot of pluses over Amoonguss that Mega Venusaur has, so you have to consider that people will wonder why they should use Amoonguss at all.

In C&C, I would say Flying STABs are worth mentioning. Stuff like Talonflame's Brave Bird, Megadactyl's Aerial Ace, Noviern's Hurricane...you get the idea. Psychic STABs are worth mentioning too, especially Latios's Psyshock.

In moves, I think you mean "amplifies its bulk and longevity" rather than 'exemplifies'

Also,
Synthesis can be used for more reliable healing, but it is a bit redundant with Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Black Sludge recovery and is in general inferior to Amoonguss's other moves.
seems awkward because of the two 'ands' in a row. Restructuring the sentence ("Synthesis could also be used to provide more reliable healing, but when you consider it in addition to Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Black Sludge recovery, it seems generally inferior to the other moves competing for the slot.") would improve the "flow" of the sentence.

Set Details
========
*snip*This allows it to stop powerful physical sweepers such as Mega Lucario and either put them to sleep or paralyze them. However, a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature can be used if special attackers are more threatening to your team. Black Sludge is the preferred item as it provides great passive healing in conjunction with Regenerator. Leftovers can be used over Black Sludge, but Black Sludge is preferred as it cripples Trick users and deters them from using Trick on Amoonguss at all.
It's not the EVs that let it put them to sleep, but the moves. What the bulky evs do is let it take wall them and threaten the status, so I'd retool the sentence to make that more clear ("This spread allows it to switch into powerful physical sweepers and threaten them out through sleep or paralysis") Also, because the next sentence is drastically shifting gears by moving to talk about EVs against special attackers, I'd begin the sentence that way ("If you're more concerned about special attackers, an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with calm nature can be used"). The last line suffers from redundancy, mostly because of the repetition of the "preferred item" line, so I'd again recommend slight restructuring to aid the reader ("While both Leftovers and Black Sludge can be used to provide great passive healing in conjunction with Regenerator, Black Sludge is preferred because it cripples Trick users, deterring them from using Trick at all when you have an Amoongus on your team, even if it isn't out.")

Thanks for letting me critique this; your article is well written, and I like the depth you go into for all of the sections!

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Clear Smog helps prevent it from being setup bait, though some Pokemon such as Talonflame can still set up on it easily
Explain why (can threaten easily at +0 etc)

After Amoonguss has been switched into a Pokemon it walls, predict the opponent's switch and switch to an appropriate counter.
I'd get rid of this part, the reader should understand terminology of a double switch. If you do want to keep it, however, perhaps change it into an example, displaying a common situation where Amoonguss should double switch. Do something like "For example, Amoonguss should......"

**Setup Sweepers**: After it has put something to sleep, Amoonguss is setup fodder for a wide variety of Pokemon. Scizor and Genesect can set up on Amoonguss if it lacks Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore, while Dragonite takes little from Hidden Power Ice thanks to Multiscale and can set up on Amoonguss with Dragon Dance. Fire types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona threaten Amoonguss with their powerful STAB moves and can set up on it, though they are crippled by Stun Spore. While Mega Lucario cannot do much to Amoonguss initially, it is strong enough to overpower it after a few boosts. Reuniclus doesn't mind Stun Spore at all and is able to set up on Amoonguss with Calm Mind and overpower it with STAB Psychic-type moves.
I'd probably mention Clear Smog in here somewhere, as that is its main purpose on the set. Perhaps expand on why these setup sweepers in particular care little about Clear Smog, for example being able to threaten Amoong even at +0

I'd also combine some of your checks and counters section, as you can probably bunch some under common titles and make them easier to read

QC APPROVED 3/3

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
GOT THIS
Add Remove Comment
Overview
########
While Amoonguss may not always be one of the first choices for a team, it has several unique qualities that help it stand out. Its great defensive typing gives it useful resistances to Water-, Electric-, Fighting-, Fairy-, and Grass-type attacks, letting it wall a myriad of common and dangerous threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and physical Mega Lucario. Where Amoonguss truly shines, however, is its ability to spread debilitating status, particularly sleep, as it has access to the Spore, which is highly sought after as for being the only 100% accurate sleep inducing move in the game. Amoonguss is also incredibly difficult to wear down due to its great bulk, defensive typing, Regenerator, access to Giga Drain, and immunity to Toxic. However, Amoonguss has one major flaw: after putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep, it has a complete inability in many cases to do much of anything to stop opposing Pokemon team (you are referring to the sleep clause, right?) from setting up in its face. It also faces severe competition from Mega Venusaur, which is much faster, has higher stats overall, and has two fewer weaknesses thanks to Thick Fat. However, between Regenerator, Spore, and most importantly, the fact that Amoonguss does not take up a team's valuable Mega Evolution slot, Amoonguss certainly has value over its rival Mega Venusaur (Pretty much any synonym for Mega Venusaur. Rival sounds the best IMO). Overall, despite its shortcomings, if Amoonguss is played carefully, it can provide invaluable support to nearly any team.

Pivot
########
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb

Moves
========
Spore is the only 100% accurate sleep move in the game and is one of the main reasons to use Amoonguss. Giga Drain gets STAB and heals Amoonguss, which adds to its already great bulk and longevity. Hidden Power Fire is useful for Grass-types, which are immune to Spore, particularly Ferrothorn. It also hits Scizor, Forretress, and Genesect fairly hard. Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss's strongest reliable STAB move and has a 30% chance to poison, though its coverage is only useful for hitting Togekiss, Celebi, and Breloom super effectively. Hidden Power Ice can be used if Dragon-types are of particular concern. Stun Spore is great alongside Spore as it allows Amoonguss to spread status. Clear Smog helps prevent it from being setup bait, [though some Pokemon can still set up on it easily if they threaten it without any setup, such as Talonflame.] (I don't understand what you're saying...maybe rephrase it) It also does not affect Also, Steel-type sweepers such as Lucario and Scizor are immune to the move, so they have free reign to set up on Amoonguss after it has put something else on their team to sleep. Synthesis can be used for more reliable healing, but it is a bit redundant with Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Black Sludge recovery, so it is in general inferior to Amoonguss's other moves.

Set Details
========
EVs are put into HP and Defense to capitalize on Amoonguss's great resistances to common physical attacks. This allows it to switch in on and stop powerful physical sweepers such as Mega Lucario by either putting them to sleep or paralyzing them. However, a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature can be used if special attackers are more threatening to your team. Black Sludge is the preferred item as it provides great passive healing in conjunction with Regenerator. Leftovers can be used over Black Sludge, but Black Sludge is more useful as it cripples Trick users and deters them from using Trick on Amoonguss at all. (Maybe say something about how lefties is safer if black sludge is tricked back onto a non-poison on your team?)

Usage Tips
========
As it is a pivot, Amoonguss will be switching in very often throughout the match. It is very easy to switch in thanks to its resistances, Regenerator, and its ability to wall common Pokemon.

Spore is a very powerful tool and should not be used thoughtlessly. Amoonguss will commonly only be able to put one opponent to sleep in the entire match due to the sleep clause, so take note of which Pokemon you want to put to sleep before mindlessly clicking Spore. The mere threat of Spore is also very useful. Predicting which Pokemon the opponent will use as sleep fodder and capitalizing on it not only gains momentum, but it allows you to possibly put a more dangerous Pokemon on the opponent's team to sleep later in the battle. Additionally However, Amoonguss can be helpless against certain Pokemon after it has already put something else to sleep. Successfully using Spore to its greatest potential requires prediction and clever planning.

To prevent Amoonguss from being setup bait after Spore has been used, you can utilize double switches to prevent deter it from being used as setup fodder by the many common Pokemon that can set up on it the opposition from setting up on the mushroom (or a synonym).

Team Options
========
Amoonguss isn't too support reliant as it is usually the one doing the supporting. It can be paired with other Regenerator users such as Slowbro to form a solid defensive core that can be very difficult to break through. Rotom-Wash and Heatran are good partners as they have fantastic synergy with Amoonguss and beat Talonflame particularly well. Amoonguss pairs nicely with slower sweepers if Stun Spore is opted for is used as it is good at spreading paralysis. (Seems unnecessary...)

Other Options
########
An Assault Vest set with Foul Play and Clear Smog is an option as it pairs nicely with Regenerator, but it struggles to do much damage and severely misses Spore and to a lesser extent, Stun Spore. Because of this, it is setup fodder for a wider variety of threats than usual. Energy Ball can be used as it has 15 more Base Power than Giga Drain, though it is generally the inferior option as Amoonguss appreciates the recovery of Giga Drain too much to give it up. Toxic is also an option, but Amoonguss would much rather spread sleep and paralysis, which are much more debilitating statuses and provide more useful support to the rest of the team.

Checks & Counters
########

**Setup Sweepers**: After it has put something to sleep, Amoonguss is setup fodder for a wide variety of Pokemon, especially ones that threaten it initially or are immune to Clear Smog. Scizor and Genesect can set up on Amoonguss if it lacks Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore, while Dragonite takes little from Hidden Power Ice thanks to Multiscale and can set up on Amoonguss with Dragon Dance. Fire types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona threaten Amoonguss with their powerful STAB moves and can set up on it, though they are crippled by Stun Spore. While Mega Lucario cannot do much to Amoonguss initially, it is strong enough to overpower it after a few boosts. Reuniclus doesn't mind Stun Spore at all and is able to set up on Amoonguss with Calm Mind and overpower it with STAB Psychic-type moves.

**Strong Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, or Psychic-types**: Amoonguss may be very bulky, but like most Pokemon, it does not take super effective STAB moves very well. Pokemon such as Talonflame, Latios, Heatran, or Kyurem-B can all dent Amoonguss with their respective STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Amoonguss has problems beating certain Steel-types. As a Grass- and Steel-type, Ferrothorn is immune to Spore, Stun Spore, and Sludge Bomb, and takes very little from Giga Drain, and is only 3HKOed by uninvested Hidden Power Fire at best, while it can set up hazards on Amoonguss, which help mitigate the effectiveness of Regenerator. Forretress is similar in this regard, but it must be more cautious of Hidden Power Fire and is not immune to Spore unless it has Overcoat, unlike Ferrothorn. Skarmory fears none of Amoonguss's attacks, including Hidden Power Fire, and can use it as Spikes fodder or hit it hard with Brave Bird, but it too must be cautious of Spore.

**Opposing Grass-types**: In general, opposing Grass-type Pokemon are a problem for Amoonguss as they are immune to Spore and Amoonguss is not powerful enough to break through very many them, even with super-effective attacks. Mega Venusaur in particular is neutral to Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, and Hidden Power Ice.

**Magic Bounce Pokemon**: Similarly, Magic Bounce Pokemon are immune to Spore and can either hit Amoonguss hard with STAB Psychic moves in the case of Espeon and Xatu or set up Swords Dances on it in the case of Mega Absol. Do note, however, that Amoonguss is immune to its own status moves being bounced back at it due to its Grass typing.

**Entry hazards**: Spikes and Stealth Rock can help in wearing down Amoonguss, as they prevent it from making full use of Regenerator.

**Taunt**: Amoonguss is crippled by Taunt from the likes of Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, and Sableye. Deoxys-D in particular can set up entry hazards very easily against a Taunted Amoonguss because of its huge bulk.

**Clerics**: Heal Bell and Aromatherapy users are able to heal opposing teams of Amoonguss's status spreading in a single turn. Blissey and Chansey in particular laugh at Amoonguss's attacks while not being crippled by Spore or Stun Spore themselves thanks to Natural Cure.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Amateur check.

Add
Remove
Comments
Overview
########
While Amoonguss may not be one of the first choices for a team, it has several unique qualities that help it stand out. Its great defensive typing gives it useful resistances to Water-, Electric-, Fighting-, Fairy-, and Grass-type attacks, letting it wall a myriad of common and dangerous threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and physical Mega Lucario. Where Amoonguss truly shines, however, is its ability to spread debilitating status, particularly sleep, as it has access to the Spore, which is highly sought after for being (eliminating this makes the sentence somewhat less rambly) the only 100% accurate sleep inducing move in the game. Amoonguss is also incredibly difficult to wear down due to its great bulk, and defensive typing, Regenerator, access to Giga Drain, and immunity to Toxic. However, Amoonguss has one major flaw: after putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep, it has a complete inability in many cases to do much of anything can't do much to stop another Pokemon from setting up in its face. It also faces severe competition from Mega Venusaur, which is much faster, has boasts (using "has" twice makes kinda ruins the parallel structure) overall higher stats overall, and has two fewer weaknesses thanks to Thick Fat. However, between Regenerator, Spore, and most importantly, (this detail is unecessary and causes too much comma splicing) the fact that Amoonguss does not take up a team's valuable Mega Evolution slot, Amoonguss certainly has value over its fellow Grass- and Poison-type. Overall, despite its shortcomings, if Amoonguss is played carefully, it can provide invaluable support to nearly any team.

Pivot
########

Moves
========
Spore is the only 100% accurate sleep move in the game and is one of the main reasons to use Amoonguss. Giga Drain gets is STAB boosted and heals Amoonguss, which adds adding to its already great bulk and longevity. Hidden Power Fire is useful for hitting the Grass-types, (Eh, this comma adds too much splicing) which that are immune to Spore, particularly Ferrothorn. It also hits Scizor, Forretress, and Genesect fairly hard. Alternatively, Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss's strongest reliable STAB move and has a 30% chance to poison, though its coverage is only useful for hitting Togekiss, Celebi, and Breloom super effectively. Hidden Power Ice can be used instead if Dragon-types are of particular concern. Stun Spore is great alongside Spore as it allows Amoonguss to spread status even further. On the other hand, Clear Smog helps prevent it from being setup bait, though some Pokemon such as Talonflame can still set up on it Amoonguss easily if they can threaten it befire before (Talonflame will probably just spam Brave Bird rather than use its "befire" STAB) they set up. Talonflame is a good example of such a Pokemon. Also In addition, Steel-type sweepers such as Lucario and Scizor are not affected by the move, so they have free reign to set up on Amoonguss after if it has already put something else on the opposing team to sleep. Synthesis can be used for more reliable healing, but it is a bit redundant with Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Black Sludge recovery, so it is in general generally inferior to Amoonguss's other moves.

Set Details
========
EVs are put into HP and Defense to capitalize on Amoonguss's great resistances to common physical attacks. This allows it to switch in on and stop powerful physical sweepers such as Mega Lucario by either putting them to sleep or paralyzing them. However, a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature can be used if special attackers are more threatening to your team. Black Sludge is the preferred item as it provides great passive healing in conjunction with Regenerator. Leftovers can be used over Black Sludge, but Black Sludge is more useful as it cripples Trick users and deters them from using Trick on Amoonguss at all. (The Trick user can always just Trick the Black Sludge back onto another one of your Pokémon, crippling two rather than just one. I don't think the opponent will be all that "deterred".)

Usage Tips
========
As it is a pivot, Amoonguss will be switching in very often throughout the match. It is very easy to switch in thanks to its resistances, Regenerator, and its ability to wall common Pokemon.

Spore is a very powerful tool and should not be used thoughtlessly. Amoonguss will commonly most often only be able to put one opponent to sleep in the entire match because a sleeping opponent often does not have a chance to wake up, so take note of which Pokemon you want to put to sleep before mindlessly clicking Spore. The mere threat of Spore is also very useful. Predicting which Pokemon the opponent will use as sleep fodder and capitalizing on it not only gains momentum, but it allows you to possibly put a more dangerous Pokemon on the opponent's team to sleep later in the battle. However, Amoonguss can be helpless against certain Pokemon after it has already put something else to sleep. Successfully using Spore to its greatest potential requires prediction and clever planning.

To prevent Amoonguss from being setup bait after Spore has been used, you can utilize double switches to deter the opposing team from setting up on it.

Team Options
========
Amoonguss isn't too support reliant as it is usually the one doing the supporting. It can be paired with other Regenerator users such as Slowbro to form a solid defensive core that can be very difficult to break through. Rotom-Wash and Heatran are good partners as they have fantastic synergy with Amoonguss and beat Talonflame particularly rather well. Amoonguss pairs nicely with slower sweepers if Amoonguss it opts for Stun Spore.

Other Options
########
An Assault Vest set with Foul Play and Clear Smog is an option as it pairs nicely with Regenerator, but it struggles to do much damage and severely misses the ability to use Spore, and to a lesser extent, Stun Spore. Because of this, it is setup fodder for a wider variety of threats than usual. Energy Ball can be used as it has 15 more Base Power than Giga Drain, though it is generally the inferior option as Amoonguss appreciates the recovery of Giga Drain too much to give it up. Toxic is also an option, but Amoonguss would much rather spread sleep and paralysis, which are much more debilitating statuses and provide more useful support to the rest of the team.

Checks & Counters
########

**Setup Sweepers**: After it has put something to sleep, Amoonguss is setup fodder for a wide variety of Pokemon, especially ones that threaten it initially or are immune to Clear Smog. Scizor and Genesect can set up on Amoonguss if it lacks Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore, while Dragonite takes little from Hidden Power Ice thanks to Multiscale and can set up on Amoonguss with Dragon Dance. Fire types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona threaten Amoonguss with their powerful STAB moves, and can also set up on it, though although they are crippled by Stun Spore. While Mega Lucario cannot do much to Amoonguss initially, it is strong enough to overpower it after a few boosts. Reuniclus doesn't mind Stun Spore at all that much (a single missed turn due to a full paralysis can be fatal) and is able to set up on Amoonguss with Calm Mind and overpower it with STAB Psychic-type moves.

**Strong Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, or Psychic-types**: Amoonguss may be very bulky, but like most Pokemon, it does not take super effective STAB moves very well. Pokemon such as Talonflame, Latios, Heatran, or Kyurem-B can all dent Amoonguss with their respective STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Amoonguss has problems beating certain Steel-types. As a Grass and Steel-type, Ferrothorn is immune to Spore, Stun Spore, and Sludge Bomb, takes very little from Giga Drain, and is only 3HKOed by uninvested Hidden Power Fire at best,. Likewise, while it can set up hazards on Amoonguss, which help mitigate mitigating the effectiveness of Regenerator. Forretress is similar in this regard, but it must be more cautious of Hidden Power Fire, and unlike Ferrothorn, it is not immune to Spore unless it has Overcoat, unlike Ferrothorn. Skarmory fears none of Amoonguss's attacks, including Hidden Power Fire, and can use it as Spikes fodder or hit it hard with Brave Bird, but it too must be cautious of Spore.

**Opposing Grass-types**: In general, opposing Grass-type Pokemon are a problem for Amoonguss as they are immune to Spore and Amoonguss is not powerful enough to break through very many them, even with super-effective attacks. Mega Venusaur in particular is neutral to Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, and Hidden Power Ice.

**Magic Bounce Pokemon**: Similarly, Magic Bounce Pokemon are immune to Spore and can either hit Amoonguss hard with STAB Psychic moves in the case of Espeon and Xatu or set up Swords Dances on it in the case of Mega Absol. Do note, however, that Amoonguss is immune to its own status moves being bounced back at it due to its Grass typing.

**Entry hazards**: Spikes and Stealth Rock can help in wearing down Amoonguss, as they prevent it from making full use of Regenerator.

**Taunt**: Amoonguss is crippled by Taunt from the likes of Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, and Sableye. Deoxys-D in particular can set up entry hazards very easily against a Taunted Amoonguss because of thanks to its huge bulk.

**Clerics**: Heal Bell and Aromatherapy users are able to heal opposing teams of Amoonguss's status spreading in a single turn. Blissey and Chansey in particular laugh at Amoonguss's attacks, while and thanks to Natural Cure, they can't be not being crippled by Spore or Stun Spore themselves, thanks to Natural Cure.
Overview
########
While Amoonguss may not be one of the first choices for a team, it has several unique qualities that help it stand out. Its great defensive typing gives it useful resistances to Water-, Electric-, Fighting-, Fairy-, and Grass-type attacks, letting it wall a myriad of common and dangerous threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and physical Mega Lucario. Where Amoonguss truly shines, however, is its ability to spread debilitating status, particularly sleep, as it has access to the Spore, the only 100% accurate sleep inducing move in the game. Amoonguss is also incredibly difficult to wear down due to its great bulk and defensive typing, Regenerator, access to Giga Drain, and immunity to Toxic. However, Amoonguss has one major flaw: after putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep, it can't do much to stop another Pokemon from setting up in its face. It also faces severe competition from Mega Venusaur, which is much faster, boasts overall higher stats , and has two fewer weaknesses thanks to Thick Fat. However, between Regenerator, Spore, and the fact that Amoonguss does not take up a team's valuable Mega Evolution slot, Amoonguss certainly has value over its fellow Grass- and Poison-type. Overall, despite its shortcomings, if Amoonguss is played carefully, it can provide invaluable support to nearly any team.

Pivot
########

Moves
========
Spore is the only 100% accurate sleep move in the game and is one of the main reasons to use Amoonguss. Giga Drain is STAB boosted and heals Amoonguss, adding to its already great bulk and longevity. Hidden Power Fire is useful for hitting the Grass-types that are immune to Spore, particularly Ferrothorn. It also hits Scizor, Forretress, and Genesect fairly hard. Alternatively, Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss's strongest reliable STAB move and has a 30% chance to poison, though its coverage is only useful for hitting Togekiss, Celebi, and Breloom super effectively. Hidden Power Ice can be used instead if Dragon-types are of particular concern. Stun Spore is great alongside Spore as it allows Amoonguss to spread status even further. On the other hand, Clear Smog helps prevent it from being setup bait, though some Pokemon such as Talonflame can still set up on Amoonguss easily if they can threaten it before they set up. In addition, Steel-type sweepers such as Lucario and Scizor are not affected by the move, so they have free reign to set up on Amoonguss if it has already put something else on the opposing team to sleep. Synthesis can be used for more reliable healing, but it is a bit redundant with Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Black Sludge recovery, so it is generally inferior to Amoonguss's other moves.

Set Details
========
EVs are put into HP and Defense to capitalize on Amoonguss's great resistances to common physical attacks. This allows it to switch in on and stop powerful physical sweepers such as Mega Lucario by either putting them to sleep or paralyzing them. However, a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature can be used if special attackers are more threatening to your team. Black Sludge is the preferred item as it provides great passive healing in conjunction with Regenerator. Leftovers can be used over Black Sludge, but Black Sludge is more useful as it cripples Trick users and deters them from using Trick on Amoonguss at all.

Usage Tips
========

Spore is a very powerful tool and should not be used thoughtlessly. Amoonguss will most often only be able to put one opponent to sleep in the entire match because a sleeping opponent often does not have a chance to wake up, so take note of which Pokemon you want to put to sleep before mindlessly clicking Spore. The mere threat of Spore is also very useful. Predicting which Pokemon the opponent will use as sleep fodder and capitalizing on it not only gains momentum, but it allows you to possibly put a more dangerous Pokemon on the opponent's team to sleep later in the battle. However, Amoonguss can be helpless against certain Pokemon after it has already put something else to sleep. Successfully using Spore to its greatest potential requires prediction and clever planning.

Team Options
========
Amoonguss isn't too support reliant as it is usually the one doing the supporting. It can be paired with other Regenerator users such as Slowbro to form a solid defensive core that can be very difficult to break through. Rotom-Wash and Heatran are good partners as they have fantastic synergy with Amoonguss and beat Talonflame rather well. Amoonguss pairs nicely with slower sweepers if it opts for Stun Spore.

Other Options
########
An Assault Vest set with Foul Play and Clear Smog is an option as it pairs nicely with Regenerator, but it struggles to do much damage and severely misses the ability to use Spore, and to a lesser extent, Stun Spore. Because of this, it is setup fodder for a wider variety of threats than usual. Energy Ball can be used as it has 15 more Base Power than Giga Drain, though it is generally the inferior option as Amoonguss appreciates the recovery of Giga Drain too much to give it up. Toxic is also an option, but Amoonguss would much rather spread sleep and paralysis, which are much more debilitating statuses and provide more useful support to the rest of the team.

Checks & Counters
########

**Setup Sweepers**: After it has put something to sleep, Amoonguss is setup fodder for a wide variety of Pokemon, especially ones that threaten it initially or are immune to Clear Smog. Scizor and Genesect can set up on Amoonguss if it lacks Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore, while Dragonite takes little from Hidden Power Ice thanks to Multiscale and can set up on Amoonguss with Dragon Dance. Fire types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona threaten Amoonguss with their powerful STAB moves, and can also set up on it, although they are crippled by Stun Spore. While Mega Lucario cannot do much to Amoonguss initially, it is strong enough to overpower it after a few boosts. Reuniclus doesn't mind Stun Spore that much and is able to set up on Amoonguss with Calm Mind and overpower it with STAB Psychic-type moves.

**Steel-types**: Amoonguss has problems beating certain Steel-types. As a Grass and Steel-type, Ferrothorn is immune to Spore, Stun Spore, and Sludge Bomb, takes very little from Giga Drain, and is only 3HKOed by uninvested Hidden Power Fire at best. Likewise, it can set up hazards on Amoonguss, mitigating the effectiveness of Regenerator. Forretress is similar in this regard, but it must be more cautious of Hidden Power Fire, and unlike Ferrothorn, it is not immune to Spore unless it has Overcoat. Skarmory fears none of Amoonguss's attacks, including Hidden Power Fire, and can use it as Spikes fodder or hit it hard with Brave Bird, but it too must be cautious of Spore.

**Taunt**: Amoonguss is crippled by Taunt from the likes of Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, and Sableye. Deoxys-D in particular can set up entry hazards very easily against a Taunted Amoonguss thanks to its huge bulk.

**Clerics**: Heal Bell and Aromatherapy users are able to heal opposing teams of Amoonguss's status spreading in a single turn. Blissey and Chansey in particular laugh at Amoonguss's attacks, and thanks to Natural Cure, they can't be crippled by Spore or Stun Spore themselves.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like everything with that check. Just change Fire types to Fire-types in Setup Sweepers and this is

GP 2/2

On and super effective > super-effective in Opposing Grass-types.

Also, Magnemite, if you could post in this thread when you&'very meads any changes that would be great. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Ok so there are minor errors here and there
Add
Remove
Comments
Overview
########
While Amoonguss may not be one of the first choices for a team, it has several unique qualities that help it stand out. Its great defensive typing gives it useful resistances to Water-, Electric-, Fighting-, Fairy-, and Grass-type attacks, letting it wall a myriad of common and dangerous threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and physical Mega Lucario. Where Amoonguss truly shines, however, is its ability to spread debilitating status, particularly sleep, as it has access to the Spore, the only 100% accurate sleep-(hyphen)inducing move in the game. Amoonguss is also incredibly difficult to wear down due to its great bulk and defensive typing, awesome ability in (it sounds like its typing is regenerator lol) Regenerator, access to Giga Drain, and immunity to Toxic. However, Amoonguss has one major flaw: after putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep, it can't do much to stop another Pokemon from setting up in its face. It also faces severe competition from Mega Venusaur, which is much faster, boasts overall higher stats(remove space), and has two fewer weaknesses,(AC) thanks to Thick Fat. However, between Regenerator, Spore, and the fact that Amoonguss does not take up a team's valuable Mega Evolution slot, Amoonguss certainly has value over its fellow Grass- and Poison-type Grass / Poison type. Overall, despite its shortcomings, if Amoonguss is played carefully, it can provide invaluable support to nearly any team.

Pivot
########

Moves
========
Spore is the only 100% accurate sleep move in the game and is one of the main reasons to use Amoonguss. Giga Drain is
STAB boosted by STAB and heals Amoonguss, adding to its already great bulk and longevity. Hidden Power Fire is useful for hitting the Grass-types that are immune to Spore, particularly Ferrothorn. It also hits Scizor, Forretress, and Genesect fairly hard. Alternatively, Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss's strongest reliable STAB move and has a 30% chance to poison, though its coverage is only useful for hitting Togekiss, Celebi, and Breloom super effectively. Hidden Power Ice can be used instead if Dragon-types are of particular concern. Stun Spore is great alongside Spore,(AC) as it allows Amoonguss to spread status even further. On the other hand, Clear Smog helps prevent it from being setup bait, though some Pokemon such as Talonflame, which can threaten Amoonguss without setting up, can still set up on Amoonguss easily if they can threaten it before they set up use it as setup bait (tbh this is worded weirdly so you might wanna rewrite this sentence). In addition, Steel-type sweepers such as Lucario and Scizor are not affected by the move, so they have free reign to set up on Amoonguss if it has already put something else on the opposing team to sleep. Synthesis can be used for more reliable healing recovery, but it is a bit redundant with Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Black Sludge recovery, so it is generally inferior to Amoonguss's other moves.

Set Details
========
EVs are put into HP and Defense to capitalize on Amoonguss's great resistances to common physical attacks. This allows it to switch in on and stop powerful physical sweepers such as Mega Lucario by either putting them to sleep or paralyzing them. However, a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature can be used if special attackers are more threatening to your team. Black Sludge is the preferred item
,(AC) as it provides great passive healing in conjunction with Regenerator. Leftovers can be used over Black Sludge, but Black Sludge is more useful as it cripples Trick users and deters them from using Trick on Amoonguss at all.

Usage Tips
========
As it is a pivot, Amoonguss will be switching in very often throughout the match. It is very easy to switch in
,(AC) thanks to its resistances, Regenerator, and its ability to wall common Pokemon.

Team Options
========
Amoonguss isn't too support reliant as it is usually the one doing the supporting. It can be paired with other Regenerator users such as Slowbro to form a solid defensive core that can be very difficult to break through.
Rotom-Wash Rotom-W and Heatran are good partners,(AC) as they have fantastic synergy with Amoonguss and beat Talonflame rather well. Amoonguss pairs nicely with slower sweepers if it opts for Stun Spore.

Other Options
########
An Assault Vest set with Foul Play and Clear Smog is an option as it pairs nicely with Regenerator, but it struggles to do much damage and severely misses the ability to use Spore
,(RC) and,(AC) to a lesser extent, Stun Spore. Because of this, it is setup fodder for a wider variety of threats than usual. Energy Ball can be used as it has 15 more Base Power than Giga Drain, though it is generally the inferior option,(AC) as Amoonguss appreciates the recovery of Giga Drain too much to give it up. Toxic is also an option, but Amoonguss would much rather spread sleep and paralysis, which are much more debilitating statuses and provide more useful support to the rest of the team.

Checks & Counters
########

**Setup Sweepers**: After it has put something to sleep, Amoonguss is setup fodder for a wide variety of Pokemon, especially ones that threaten it initially or are immune to Clear Smog. Scizor and Genesect can set up on Amoonguss if it lacks Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore, while Dragonite takes little from Hidden Power Ice thanks to Multiscale and can set up on Amoonguss with Dragon Dance. Fire-types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona threaten Amoonguss with their powerful STAB moves, and can also set up on it, although they are crippled by Stun Spore. While Mega Lucario cannot do much to Amoonguss initially, it is strong enough to overpower it after a few boosts. Reuniclus doesn't mind Stun Spore that much and is able to set up on Amoonguss with Calm Mind and overpower it with STAB Psychic-type moves.

**Strong Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, or Psychic-types**: Amoonguss may might be very bulky, but like most Pokemon, it does not take super effective STAB moves very well. Pokemon such as Talonflame, Latios, Heatran, or and Kyurem-B can all dent Amoonguss with their respective STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Amoonguss has problems beating certain Steel-types. As a Grass and Steel-type Grass / Steel type, Ferrothorn is immune to Spore, Stun Spore, and Sludge Bomb, takes very little from Giga Drain, and is only 3HKOed by uninvested Hidden Power Fire at best. Likewise, it can set up hazards on Amoonguss, mitigating the effectiveness of Regenerator. Forretress is similar in this regard, but it must be more cautious of Hidden Power Fire, and unlike Ferrothorn, it is not immune to Spore unless it has Overcoat. Skarmory fears none of Amoonguss's attacks, including Hidden Power Fire, and can use it as Spikes fodder or hit it hard with Brave Bird, but it too must be cautious of Spore.

**Opposing Grass-types**: In general, opposing Grass-type Pokemon are a problem for Amoonguss,(AC) as they are immune to Spore and Amoonguss is not powerful enough to break through very many them, even with super effective attacks. Mega Venusaur in particular is neutral to Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, and Hidden Power Ice.

**Magic Bounce Pokemon**: Similarly, Magic Bounce Pokemon are immune to Spore and can either hit Amoonguss hard with STAB Psychic-type moves in the case of Espeon and Xatu or set up Swords Dances on it in the case of Mega Absol. Do note, however, that Amoonguss is immune to its own status moves being bounced back at it due to its Grass typing.

**Clerics**: Heal Bell and Aromatherapy users are able to heal opposing teams of Amoonguss's status spreading in a single turn. Blissey and Chansey in particular laugh at Amoonguss's attacks, and thanks to Natural Cure, they can't be crippled by Spore or Stun Spore themselves.

gp 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)