Anonymous threatens Sony (again) and some shitty pop singers..

That's only partially true; at the moment, Nintendo would have to issue a cease and desist or enter a lawsuit with the offending websites. I'm not entirely sure of the details, since Nintendo is a foreign company, but copyright laws are not international and I doubt that they would be able to actually shut down PO/Smogon.

However, with SOPA, Nintendo (presumably it'd have to be Nintendo of America) could seek court orders to block access to these websites, regardless of the lack of international copyright laws or lack of a lawsuit.

Perhaps Nintendo was a poor example, as them and Game Freak are foreign, but similar situations will arise for other companies.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yup..considering nintendo is indirectly gaining from smog or PO...
They haven't taken any action/voiced any concern against online sims as of yet, and I doubt they will do so if the bill gets passed. Bottom line is, we aren't making any money that they could be taking through use of the name.

Except company's don't need SOPA to take action against copyright offenders. If Nintendo wanted to try and shut down Pokemon Online or Smogon, they could try that now; SOPA isn't suddenly empowering them or giving them any more significant pull against copyright offenders. They certainly can't just shut down Smogon on a whim because they own Pokemon, with or without the bill.
With the bill they can definitely do what you said they couldn't. That is what the bill does. It empowers them and assists them in taking out any illegal competitors by cutting them at the root. Right now what they do is more like killing animals that are infected with a specific disease in order to prevent infection to others. With SOPA they would (metaphorically speaking) be able to effectively commit genocide on entire species that are especially vulnerable to the said disease even before any others are infected, effectively lowering the chances of the disease finding any sort of vector and therefore raising the chances of it dying out, no matter how beneficial the said species would be otherwise.

They haven't taken any action/voiced any concern against online sims as of yet, and I doubt they will do so if the bill gets passed. Bottom line is, we aren't making any money that they could be taking through use of the name.
what i mean by indirectly gaining is smog/po is a good maketing strategy for nintendo to:
1. attract buyers for current and future pokemon games
2. keep the market active even the game has been released long ago.

and kudos to smog, you're one of the best community nowadays.

The thing I'm trying to stress is that we need to make small accommodations for these torrent sites or whatever to be shut down. Why can't the smogon community thing in da corner I forgot what it's called be Nyan Cat? The guy who made Nyan Cat sure as hell didn't copyright it. And yes. You can still post on the boards. Just don't be posting a whole wack of copyrighted stuff.

I sure do love Big Brother watching me and making sure I don't do any bad things.

No, but seriously, what the hell's the matter with you?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The thing I'm trying to stress is that we need to make small accommodations for these torrent sites or whatever to be shut down. Why can't the smogon community thing in da corner I forgot what it's called be Nyan Cat? The guy who made Nyan Cat sure as hell didn't copyright it. And yes. You can still post on the boards. Just don't be posting a whole wack of copyrighted stuff.
Because its like playing whack-a-mole: people will illegally download faster than you can shut down the sites. Also: the reason people pirate is because you punish legitimate users with DRM. I buy the Humble Indie Bundle every fucking time because I buy the games once, pay what I think they're worth (or what I can at the time), and I can put them on any computer I damn well please. They are MY games. Entertainment companies want your cake and eat it too, and unfortunately the general public pays for it.

As a final note: Switzerland cut down on legislation against piracy and the music/movie industry's profits in that country increased. I'll buy whatever game or music you want me to if you let me have it where I want, when I want.

Also: the reason people pirate is because you punish legitimate users with DRM. I buy the Humble Indie Bundle every fucking time because I buy the games once, pay what I think they're worth (or what I can at the time), and I can put them on any computer I damn well please. They are MY games. Entertainment companies want your cake and eat it too, and unfortunately the general public pays for it.
Holy shit, this. Ubisoft has tried to blame their floundering PC sales on piracy, when in reality, their insanely draconian DRM pushes even legitimate buyers away from actually BUYING games.

No one wants to deal with what amounts to sophisticated Spyware when playing a video game they payed for. To reiterate, all DRM does is fuck the customer, since pirates remove it and have an easier time playing the game in the long run.

“Anonymous” is a name that can be used by anyone on the internet. When “Anonymous” does something, what that actually means is that one or more people using the name did that thing on behalf of everyone who identifies as “Anonymous”.

A statement like “Anonymous will hack Sony” is not a warning to Sony. It’s a request made to other people identifying with the name. So, “Anonymous will hack you” really means “hey, somebody should hack these guys, does anybody feel like doing it?”. Likewise, “Anonymous will boycott Sony for reasons xyz” is effectively saying “let’s boycott Sony, here’s why they deserve it”. The fact that the media scrambles to publicize anything anybody says under the name Anonymous plays directly into their hands.

If enough capable people feel like doing it, then it gets done. If not, it doesn’t. So no, Anonymous does not make promises, nor does it go back on them. Statements like “Anonymous never does anything” demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works. If you’re mocking Anonymous for “attacking the wrong people” then you are way off-base. That video was released by a single person. If people don’t feel that Justin Bieber deserves to be attacked, then he won’t be. If they do, then to be honest, he probably does.

The point of hacking something like the PlayStation network is to make these complex issues directly relevant to the everyday lives of a large demographic. A convenient side effect of hurting the users’ experience is that it can cost Sony financially, but that was never the primary goal. The goal is to draw attention to the unethical behaviour of this company, for its support of SOPA, its obsession with drowning all of its products in DRMs, or anything else that could be considered harmful.

Sony is already on the lengthy list of corporations that I’m not going to fund. In that sense, I myself am participating in a Sony boycott (though as a pretentious indie).

And could somebody tell me who the fuck Kim Kardashian is?

(reposted from my blog) (sort of)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but isn't Anonymous a large collective of hackers that releases these threats when they've agreed to go through with their threat? I understand that people probably do stuff like this under the guise of Anon when they aren't actually affiliated, but I don't think saying that threatening a hack by Anonymous is the equivalent of the Bat signal (my words, of course) is accurate.

And Kim Kardashian a curvy woman who comes from a very wealthy family that has their own abomination of a reality show. She's also famous for being an idiot and having a clothing line.

There is no structure in the Anonymous branches because anybody is free to join. The only real core that the organization has is its founder and his circle who organize the big ("big") events. But then again, anybody could be the founder since he apparently wears a mask or something.

I can definitely see smogon being decked out in a Nyan cat theme. /sarcasm

I wonder if the person who actually made the video and the note only did it to scare sony into removing itself from the sopa support list? It could just be a coincidence, but could sony really be that scared of being hacked again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)