Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- U-turn
- Toxic
Pretty much a standard Pelipper as a rain setter. I'm running max def to absorb physical hits better, scald is more to fish for burns than to do damage. Toxic instead of defog, since I already have a defogger. Toxic also stops things from setting up on it, along with putting a timer on other mons. Pelipper seems like such an obvious lead, so you can counter predict pretty easily and get the advantage right away. If they don't really have any threats though, it generally does make a good lead.

1651203904583.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Body Press
Ferro counters a lot of threats that give rain teams trouble, and checks a lot of other mons. Haven't really had a lot of situations where power whip or gyro ball would do anything useful, so I'm running body press for ferro vs ferro matchups among other things. Also functions as a special wall, it absorbs hits and constantly throws out leech seeds and knock offs.

1651203919049.png

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Roost
First rain abuser :D Zapdos flings out 100% accurate thunders and hurricanes like nobodys business, and can do massage damage to opponents teams. Roost keeps it healthy, so it can continually dish out damage. I can try to pivot into electric moves with this (if not running a mon with electric immunity), but electric moves still do a ton of damage to zapdos. Not much else to really be said here.

1651203991841.png

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Fangs
Another rain abuser, this thing can either be brought in safely from pelippers u-turn, or some other free switch in, force something out, then grab some momentum with flip turn. Even out of rain this thing does some massive damage. It can also act as a late game cleaner, when any threats or checks have been chipped/removed. Pretty much a standard barraskewda, with psychic fangs to hit pex.

1651204004993.png

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog
This is my teams defogger, there's pretty much no other purpose for it. It can knock something off on a switch, and the 100% accurate hurricanes are nice, but I'm open to suggestions for replacements. Tornadus doesn't really contribute much other than hazard removal, and adds another electric weakness. I've used it as an emergency SD kartana revenge killer at times, but barraskewda could do pretty much the same. 168 speed EVs to outspeed base 110 mons and below, that's pretty much the last relevant speed tier. Max hp because torn acts as a pivot, rather than a more offensive force.

For the last slot, I've experimented with a couple mons, these are a few that i liked best

1651204018993.png

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- Psychic
My one and only real sweeper that I've tried, it can actually be quite deadly once faster threats are taken care of. Other than that, it acts as a pivot to block electric moves, and covers a some of the weaknesses in this team (primarily and zeraora, regieleki, neither of them can really touch thundurus, and thundurus blocks any attempt to volt switch out)

1651204037975.png

Volcanion (M) @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
this thing acts as an insanely powerful wallbreaker, able to OHKO or 2HKO pretty much the whole tier with just steam eruption under rain. Flamethrower under rain seems kinda counterintuitive, but still can OHKO max Spdef ferro some of the time. This it probably one of my favorite mons to use tbh.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight in Rain: 357-420 (89.2 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 312-372 (88.6 - 105.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

The last mon I've tried is Seismitoad, for the electric resist along with the sweeping potential. Usually this is my late game cleaner, although I can also use it as a pivot if needed. It can get rocks up, along with acting as a sweeper. Makes a great lead, as a lot of people expect pepper and send out an electric type.

1651204054368.png

Physical set:
Seismitoad @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Special set:
Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Any suggestions on what I could change? I've noticed I really do struggle with matchups against electric types like zeraora or regieleki, especially if i'm not carrying seismitoad. I think i'm also a little weak to dragons, with pretty much no ice coverage. Against a sweeper, I either have to get a toxic off from pelipper, or I have to resort to chip with tornadus/zapdos hurricanes, then sacc and revenge kill with barraskewda if possible

You build a pretty strong team,

I personally like to run Specially defensive Pelipper and Physically defensive Ferrothorn
cause it give high damage from Body press and Pelipper can tank a Draco-meteor from Dragapult

I also think you should run Poison Jab(For Fini) or Crunch (for pult) in place of Psychic fangs

For the last Slot of the team Volcarion is not a good option as your team is already very weak to Electric
Thundurus-T is a good electric immune buy your team is also weak to Rock type's and adding it can make SR deadly
So i think Seismitoad might be the best option in the team, You also can try to run the Choice spec set if you want more power

Structurally I don’t see anything wrong with the team- running double birds. Seismitoad is for sure the best final option. I do however recommend a Dark type in this meta. So consider either Crawdaunt > Barraskewda or Moltres-Galar> Tornadus-Therian.

In the meantime, I’ve updated the sets to make the team more competitive.

Quick notes for modern rain:
-Pelipper should be min speed for weather control and slowest U-Turn

-Knock Off makes getting past Glowking and RH users easier. Consider it on Tornadus-T over a coverage move if you can

-If Volcanion is not on the team, Ferrothorn needs Power Whip. CM Tapu Fini is very hard to break.

-Seismitoad has to be Timid; Scarf Kartana is extremely common. Only a maximum defense Zapdos will wall it.

-Seriously consider a dark type. Beat Up, Shadow Ball, Demon sets (Cosmic Power + Stored Power), Slowtwins and Future Sight are all over the place.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Roost

Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet

EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

Last edited:
You build a pretty strong team,

I personally like to run Specially defensive Pelipper and Physically defensive Ferrothorn
cause it give high damage from Body press and Pelipper can tank a Draco-meteor from Dragapult

I also think you should run Poison Jab(For Fini) or Crunch (for pult) in place of Psychic fangs

For the last Slot of the team Volcarion is not a good option as your team is already very weak to Electric
Thundurus-T is a good electric immune buy your team is also weak to Rock type's and adding it can make SR deadly
So i think Seismitoad might be the best option in the team, You also can try to run the Choice spec set if you want more power
Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll try a couple games with the changes
Yeah, I guess I don't really need psychic fangs on barra if Zapdos is alive, but if zapdos is dead (and I'm not using seismitoad), there's no way I'm breaking a pex

Structurally I don’t see anything wrong with the team- running double birds. Seismitoad is for sure the best final option. I do however recommend a Dark type in this meta. So consider either Crawdaunt > Barraskewda or Moltres-Galar> Tornadus-Therian.

In the meantime, I’ve updated the sets to make the team more competitive.

Quick notes for modern rain:
-Pelipper should be min speed for weather control and slowest U-Turn

-Knock Off makes getting past Glowking and RH users easier. Consider it on Tornadus-T over a coverage move if you can

-If Volcanion is not on the team, Ferrothorn needs Power Whip. CM Tapu Fini is very hard to break.

-Seismitoad has to be Timid; Scarf Kartana is extremely common. Only a maximum defense Zapdos will wall it.

-Seriously consider a dark type. Beat Up, Shadow Ball, Demon sets (Cosmic Power + Stored Power), Slowtwins and Future Sight are all over the place.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Roost

Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet

EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
Oh ty for the changes, I'll make sure to try them out, along with moltres-g
A question, why run weather ball on seismitoad? It doesn't seem like that much of a power increase over scald (and its only in rain too), and you could fit a move like focus blast for ferro, or even poison jab for fini

Oh ty for the changes, I'll make sure to try them out, along with moltres-g
A question, why run weather ball on seismitoad? It doesn't seem like that much of a power increase over scald (and its only in rain too), and you could fit a move like focus blast for ferro, or even poison jab for fini
Weather ball calcs
252 SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Rain: 313-370 (87.6 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Rain: 301-355 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Rain: 301-355 (93.7 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Scald Calcs
252 SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Rain: 252-297 (70.5 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Rain: 241-285 (66.5 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Rain: 241-285 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is why you prefer Weather ball over scald on Seismitoad

Yes, and you can run Modest on Toad to secure those calcs into OHKOs. Timid vs. Modest is a judgment call on Scarf Kartana. With Barraskewda + 2 birds you should be ok vs. Scarf Kartana but it is a personal preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)