Project Anything Goes Tutoring

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Approved by cromagnet and Zayele. Inspired by this thread.
:xy/smeargle:
Anything Goes Tutoring

Introducing the Anything Goes Tutoring program. This program aims to increase the skill level of Anything Goes players by pairing expert players with players wanting to succeed further in the metagame(s).

Anyone on Smogon is able to sign up, as long as your account has at least 5 posts and is at least one month old. There is no specific time of which you have to apply. You can always sign up as long as this project is open.

Members can sign up by posting in this thread. The metagames currently available for this program are Gen 8 Anything Goes, Gen 7 Anything Goes, Gen 6 Anything Goes, and National Dex Anything Goes. Other variants of this metagame such as Gen 4 Anything Goes and BDSP Anything Goes will be added in the future once they get further developed.

Sign-ups will work in two ways -

If you want to tutor: Those who want to tutor can sign up with their PS! account name, timezone, and metagame(s) they are interested in tutoring for. However, it's also necessary to provide a list of achievements for the metagame(s). Examples could be made in the form of Smogon tournaments won, Showdown ladders peaked, or highest GXEs made. Some form of evidence is recommended.

Format for tutors to follow:
PS Username:
Timezone:
Metagame(s):
Achievements:

PS Username: Ransei
Timezone: GMT -4
Metagame(s): Gen 6 Anything Goes, Gen 7 Anything Goes
Achievements: Accomplished making > 90 GXE in both of these formats at some point, including on four separate occasions in Gen 7 Anything Goes. I no longer have a trace of evidence for this but I have an RMT of making near that amount, with 33-1: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ag-a-broken-promise-r.3642473/.

If you want to BE tutored: Those who want to be tutored can just sign up with their PS! account name, timezone, and metagame(s) they are interested in being tutored in.

Format for tutees to follow:
PS Username:
Timezone:
Metagame(s):

PS Username: Ransei
Timezone: GMT -4
Metagame(s): Gen 8 Anything Goes

• Pairing: After signups are made I'll try to make the most suitable tutor + tutee pairings. I'll carry a standard list of tutors, but if they don't fit your timezone or can't be active I'll try to figure out how this can best be resolved. I will make a post each time I assign a pairing, then a conversation will be made with you and your tutor, so you can communicate and I can follow your progress.
  • Training: After tutors and tutees are paired, it'll be between you and your tutor. You'll both have to try and schedule a time for tutoring. On your scheduled time, you should get advice with teambuilding, battling and how the metagame is put together. You'll also learn whatever else you want to know, such as metagame threats and what you need to check, as well as general battling skills that include: Knowing when to take risks, identifying roles in a team, and winning the lead matchup. If you're not happy with your tutor, inform me with an explanation of why and I'll try to fix it. Each tutor +tutee pairing will go through a phase lasting approximately 2-3 weeks, depending on when you feel comfortable with what you've learned. Each phase should last a maximum of three weeks, so tutors will be capable of moving on to other tutees.
This thread will also serve as a general informational thread. You can ask questions about it here, and I keep track of who's tutoring who at the moment.

If there are issues about how a tutor behaves, (s)he'll probably be (temporarily) removed from the project. This way we can make sure no tutees have a bad experience.

The first batch of tutor + tutee parings will begin approximately one week from now. This will give time for tutors to sign up.

Current Tutor Sessions

1/17/2022
WSun1 is now tutoring Paino
Unicorns is now tutoring Bro Darkrai
Ballfire is now tutoring a salamence
Trade is now tutoring Darkinator

If you have any questions or concerns, contact Ransei either through Pokemon Showdown PMs, Smogon conversation, or Discord direct message (Ransei#6792).

Last edited:

Will

about you
is an official Team Rater
OMPL Champion
PS Username: I Lack Cranium
Timezone: GMT -5
Metagame(s): Gen 7 Anything Goes, Gen 8 Anything Goes, National Dex Anything Goes
Achievements: I have extensive ladder experience. Peaked 2k+ multiple times across these ladders. GXE peak >97%. Also have extensive tournament experience ranging from AGPL to NDWC and am on the council for all of these tiers.

Last edited:

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
PS Username: Unicorns
Timezone: -8 rn
Metagame(s): USUM
Achievements: long-time community member, previously mentored several solid players, went 4-0 in USUM in AGPL III, Elo peak like >2K, GXE peak like 95 something?

Note: I would greatly appreciate a tutee with correspondence over Discord

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
We're a little short on the tutor:tutee ratio so for now there will be four pairings.

Our first session of parings:

WSun1 is now tutoring velvet

Unicorns
is now tutoring Crunchman

Ballfire
is now tutoring 80 yrs

Trade
is now tutoring Archiiiie17

Ill try to find more tutors for Anything Goes. More pairings will be made as more tutors sign up. Each session will end after 2-3 weeks from when they began.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)