Applying to college

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's worth noting that they use weird essay prompts for a reason. If you're not the sort of person to whom an answer to their essay prompts comes naturally, you might not actually be all that happy at UChicago. I've known a few people who've gone there and all of them are really, really weird. And yes, I'm saying that with full knowledge of tons of Smogonites. These kids were weirder than most anyone on Smogon.

It's worth noting that they use weird essay prompts for a reason. If you're not the sort of person to whom an answer to their essay prompts comes naturally, you might not actually be all that happy at UChicago. I've known a few people who've gone there and all of them are really, really weird. And yes, I'm saying that with full knowledge of tons of Smogonites. These kids were weirder than most anyone on Smogon.
The problem is that I don't know whether I should write it on the straight and narrow or turn it into one giant veiled political satire. I've heard people say that try to keep humor or jokes at a minimum, but this prompt feels like a perfect prompt for a humorous essay.

There's also a lot of normal people. The weirdness is really overstated, and if anything, the administration is moving away from a lot of the quirks that make it so "weird" through closing the off-campus dorms, which I would say contain a high proportion of the weird people (well, with the exception of one on-campus dorm). It's definitely there if you want to take part in the quirky uchicago experience, but it's also possible to have a more "traditional" college experience as well. that doesn't mean it's for everyone, but it's not a school for crazy people. there's a great variety of people including athletes, greek life kids, hipsters, and the aforementioned "weird kids."

what uchicago really eats up imo is giving a shit about the school and actually showing genuine interest in attending. that's the sort of thing that sets people apart. you should only apply if you truly want to go there, but at the same time don't be put off by the school's reputation. uchicago is definitely trying to shed their "quirky" reputation and become more of a "mainstream" school option on par with the ivies, stanford, mit, etc.

Last edited:

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Unrelated question: Why do people always say "Ivies, Stanford, MIT"? There really only two Ivy League schools on par with Stanford and MIT. Why bring Cornell, Brown, UPenn, Yale, Columbia, or Dartmouth in this? Also, note that "Harvard, Princeton" is the same number of words as "Ivy League."

Unrelated question: Why do people always say "Ivies, Stanford, MIT"?
Not too sure what the gist of this question is, but I'll answer to the best of my ability. The phrase "Ivies, Stanford, MIT" has essentially become the popular opinion of elite American universities due to the number of successful alumni (Kennedy dynasty, almost every U.S. Supreme Justice, Emma Watson, Donald Trump, Dr. Seuss, Bill Nye, Neil DeGrasse Tyson). The Ivy League originally was an NCAA athletic conference that contained a majority if the colonial-era universities (which also happen to be academically prestigious). Stanford has the strongest overall programs in the United States in pretty much every academic field. MIT produces a lot of successful scientists and businesspeople (e.g. Koch brothers). There are many other universities that produce successful people, but mainstream media (movies, TV, etc.) usually focus on these ten schools.

Also, note that "Harvard, Princeton" is the same number of words as "Ivy League."
Yes it does.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Not too sure what the gist of this question is, but I'll answer to the best of my ability. The phrase "Ivies, Stanford, MIT" has essentially become the popular opinion of elite American universities due to the number of successful alumni (Kennedy dynasty, almost every U.S. Supreme Justice, Emma Watson, Donald Trump, Dr. Seuss, Bill Nye, Neil DeGrasse Tyson). The Ivy League originally was an NCAA athletic conference that contained a majority if the colonial-era universities (which also happen to be academically prestigious).

Yes it does.
In colloquial speech, people use "Ivy League" to refer to Harvard, Princeton and Yale -- schools with established influence and wealth -- to the exclusion of the five other schools (possibly with the exception of Wharton) that are only formally a part of the Ivy League based on the historical sports league ties you describe. The other Ivy League schools have no "prestige" or power outside the worlds of Asian Tiger Moms.

When people hear Ivy, they think Kennedy and SCOTUS (Ginsburg is the only member to not go to HYP), not Dr. Seuss and Emma Watson. As for Trump, have you not noticed how the much of the American media laughs at Trump's claims of going to an Ivy League school? His claims are valid on technical grounds, but in practice he is claiming membership of an elite he is not a part of.

In colloquial speech, people use "Ivy League" to refer to Harvard, Princeton and Yale -- schools with established influence and wealth -- to the exclusion of the five other schools (possibly with the exception of Wharton) that are only formally a part of the Ivy League based on the historical sports league ties you describe. The other Ivy League schools have no "prestige" or power outside the worlds of Asian Tiger Moms.

When people hear Ivy, they think Kennedy and SCOTUS (Ginsburg is the only member to not go to HYP), not Dr. Seuss and Emma Watson. As for Trump, have you not noticed how the much of the American media laughs at Trump's claims of going to an Ivy League school? His claims are valid on technical grounds, but in practice he is claiming membership of an elite he is not a part of.
What's your argument?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
What is this argument in general tbh

Ppl say "ivies" cuz its quicker than "harvard princeton yale" who gives a shit

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
What's your argument?
My argument is that talking about "Ivy League" schools is misleading to people seeking advice in applying to college (here and on other forums) because what people writing mean is Harvard, Princeton and (maybe) Yale while children reading this will be thinking that Columbia and Brown are including in the discussion -- they aren't.

An analogy: Just as Russell Group as a whole and Oxbridge are two very different animals, so the lower Ivies nothing are nothing compared to HYP.

What is this argument in general tbh

Ppl say "ivies" cuz its quicker than "harvard princeton yale" who gives a shit
It's misleading.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Because the Ivy League is a literal group of schools that has been known as the Ivy League for a long-ass time?

That's why people say it. And lmao you're more than a little pretentious about college and it's not cute.
People don't use "Ivy League" literally. It's a metonymy for a three specific schools.

People don't use "Ivy League" literally. It's a metonymy for a three specific schools.
Regardless, at least people will find out about the five other ones from here. :)

And frankly speaking, Ivy League discussion pops up a lot in the news. References to Dartmouth, UPenn, etc. are in the news a lot. And this:

source: Business Insider

These are the rates for the class of 2019. If Harvard, Princeton, and/or Yale are the metonymy for the Ivy League, the latter two would be much high on the list. But as you can see, schools such as Cornell, UPenn, and Columbia, have larger numbers of applications and correlate to a more widespread recognition.

Unrelated question: Why do people always say "Ivies, Stanford, MIT"? There really only two Ivy League schools on par with Stanford and MIT. Why bring Cornell, Brown, UPenn, Yale, Columbia, or Dartmouth in this? Also, note that "Harvard, Princeton" is the same number of words as "Ivy League."
I assume this question is directed at me wondering why I and maybe others find the rest of the Ivies on par with stanford/MIT/harvard/princeton, considering that the answer is otherwise fairly obvious.

To why the answer is obvious - the Ivy League consists of schools that have very low acceptance rates and have usually been ranked very highly, with all 8 in the top 16 in the last ranking by the US World and News or whatever. No other group of schools has that sort of reputation. This is a fact. Thus, when you have enough similar objects, people like to group them together for ease and simplicity sake. We can also do this because most people agree to this standard definition. You disagreeing doesn't make the term any less valid, since people recognize that I am referring to elite schools in general, even if Columbia isn't an elite school according to you. This is how grouping objects works. No group is ever perfect. Obviously, people will disagree with the inclusion and exclusion of certain schools. That's fine. You can have your own opinion. Maybe if you provide a compelling argument as to why the lower Ivies should be excluded other than claims with no evidence then it could catch on and change people's minds on what they consider to be the most prestigious schools.

Do you have any evidence that suggests the 5 other Ivies have "no" prestige? Do you have any evidence that shows that people don't use "Ivy League" literally? It's clear that you look at those group of schools very closely and hold them to a high standard. Great, you're completely entitled to your opinion. Unfortunately, not everyone is as brilliant as you or even I, and so, what occurs as a result is that Brown/Yale/Columbia become to them what MIT/Stanford/Harvard is to you. It isn't wrong, it's being realistic. The notion that if you aren't going to one of "The Kitty Kat's Big 4" then your wasting your time is preposterous because not everyone is exactly the same as you (which is why I think your previous advice was terrible as well considering it's geared specifically only towards a person like yourself).

So when I refer to the "Ivies, Stanford, MIT," I am not making the case that Dartmouth is on par with MIT. I am referring to the most prestigious schools in the US, and saying "Ivies" is a way of communicating that. What schools are the most prestigious is certainly up for debate. But in that moment all I wanted to do was make a comparison between top US universities. Whether or not they actually were is irrelevant given that my list wasn't completely off.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Business Insider is selling a story about Ivy League schools, which include the other schools by formal definition.
The reason that the acceptance rate to Columbia is on par with those of HYP is that most decent but neither brilliant nor interesting students of the appropriate milieux know better than to apply to HYP just because they have perfect or near-perfect test scores and grades and a mediocre research profile upon graduation. That is not the case with Columbia or Cornell, schools many and working- and lower-middle-class students apply to simply because they are part of a particular athletic association.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK congrats you're now just talking out of your ass and I will tag user Sam, who goes to Cornell, to shut you up. I can also tell you that your description of non-HYP ivies does not apply to Penn, Columbia, or Brown either (all schools I know very well). Can't speak to Dartmouth.

Also your use of words like milieu and metonymy doesn't actually make you smart.

That is not the case with Columbia or Cornell, schools many and working- and lower-middle-class students apply to simply because they are part of a particular athletic association.
what. Columbia is hardly working class since it has one of the most expensive fees out of any Ivy.

Bughouse

Poor students can attend any of these schools for free.
While it's true they have good aid policies, this overstates it by a wide margin. Moreover, a significant portion of aid comes from work-study, rather than grants.

You're also forgetting that a very large percentage of students are very, very wealthy (At Penn, for example, 55% of all students pay full-ride meaning they are in top few % of wealth in the country). Consider the following: http://canadagooseatpenn.tumblr.com/ These jackets cost $600 and they are ALL OVER campus to the point someone made a tumblr to satirize it.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
While it's true they have good aid policies, this overstates it by a wide margin. Moreover, a significant portion of aid comes from work-study, rather than grants.

You're also forgetting that a very large percentage of students are very, very wealthy (At Penn, for example, 55% of all students pay full-ride meaning they are in top few % of wealth in the country). Consider the following: http://canadagooseatpenn.tumblr.com/ These jackets cost $600 and they are ALL OVER campus to the point someone made a tumblr to satirize it.
Wealthy students know how this works and do not need to worry about lower Ivies' lack of prestige: Wealthy students who find jobs at prestigious firms often do so because they are well-connected, not because they went to the right university. Students needing financial aid will certainly have their costs covered at HYP. The only people in actual trouble with respect to financial aid are upper-middle-class students from areas with high costs of living -- it's the reason for what's going on with in-state admissions to the UC schools.

Bughouse

OK you know everything, and I give up. Have a nice life always knowing more than everyone else, including people who have actually experienced the things you have not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)