Applying to college

Hi all! I'm currently a junior trying to figure out where I want to go to school. A bit of my stats: projected UC GPA is to be 4.08~4.1 if everything goes well. I dunno my general UW GPA, I'll have to ask my school about it (but it's somewhere between 3.7 and 3.8). I've taken APs and Honors when available, I am currently taking 3 APs and self-studying for 4 additional ones (I took World last year and got a 5. I'm self-studying for Comp Gov, Human Geo, Psych, and probably Macro). Planning to take a college class over the summer, probably for Anthropology or Sociology or something.

My ECs are kinda lame. Marching Band/Color Guard for the past two years, and I'm planning to try out for color guard captain this May. I have about 50+ hours in volunteering (plan to get this to 100+ by August) and I have a part-time job. I'm also going to start a club senior year (only seniors can star clubs...lame) and I am currently a member of two. I also plan to apply for Student Band Association (though if I get color guard captain I'll automatically get in). I'm also trying to get an internship at my local councilman's office for summer.

Still haven't taken SAT/ACT, which is obviously a big part missing but I got a 1320 on the PSAT? I know that's not really that great but it's mostly my math that I need to work on (I consistently do well in Reading). Probably gonna take the ACT.

Intended major is International Relations or Global Affairs. I'm probably going to apply to as many UCs as I can (I am in-state), my top choice being UCLA. Also might apply to USC but it's very expensive so I will need some good financial aid lol.

Any advice for someone like me who is still trying to piece their application together? UC GPA is a bit low for something like UCLA but my college counselor says it should be fine. I'd love to go to USC but again finances are a big thing.

Hi all! I'm currently a junior trying to figure out where I want to go to school. A bit of my stats: projected UC GPA is to be 4.08~4.1 if everything goes well. I dunno my general UW GPA, I'll have to ask my school about it (but it's somewhere between 3.7 and 3.8). I've taken APs and Honors when available, I am currently taking 3 APs and self-studying for 4 additional ones (I took World last year and got a 5. I'm self-studying for Comp Gov, Human Geo, Psych, and probably Macro). Planning to take a college class over the summer, probably for Anthropology or Sociology or something.

My ECs are kinda lame. Marching Band/Color Guard for the past two years, and I'm planning to try out for color guard captain this May. I have about 50+ hours in volunteering (plan to get this to 100+ by August) and I have a part-time job. I'm also going to start a club senior year (only seniors can star clubs...lame) and I am currently a member of two. I also plan to apply for Student Band Association (though if I get color guard captain I'll automatically get in). I'm also trying to get an internship at my local councilman's office for summer.

Still haven't taken SAT/ACT, which is obviously a big part missing but I got a 1320 on the PSAT? I know that's not really that great but it's mostly my math that I need to work on (I consistently do well in Reading). Probably gonna take the ACT.

Intended major is International Relations or Global Affairs. I'm probably going to apply to as many UCs as I can (I am in-state), my top choice being UCLA. Also might apply to USC but it's very expensive so I will need some good financial aid lol.

Any advice for someone like me who is still trying to piece their application together? UC GPA is a bit low for something like UCLA but my college counselor says it should be fine. I'd love to go to USC but again finances are a big thing.
In my personal opinion, if you're shooting for something in the field of IR, UC Berkeley is probably where you'd want to shoot for rather than UCLA. I'm not familiar with the UC GPA system (I'm from the East Coast), so I can' really determine if 4.1 is good in the eyes of UC. Unweighted GPA seems solid. You could possibly get a strong letter of recommendation if you land the internship, which will definitely bolster your chances. The only thing I see that could be a massive problem is your projected SAT score. If you can bring that number to around 1450, you'll be in the running.

Follow up questions:
1) Do you have any SAT II scores? Getting an A in Chemistry at a low-ranking school versus one at a high-ranking school are objectively different, and the SAT Subject test is a good way to reinforce the A's that you have received in some classes.
2) What's your high school ranking in-state and nationally? Colleges do take into consideration these factors in admissions.

I'm not a big fan of USC in all honesty, and there's really less of an incentive to go there over UCLA based on your interests (unless you value the degree over the major).

Also, depending on what your family can afford, it really doesn't hurt to also apply to some out-of-state schools. Since your interest lies in Political Science, I believe some LACs should also be fine for you as long as you have extra-curriculars in college. Some other schools I would suggest are:

1) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
2) Tufts University
3) NYU
4) University of Texas, Austin
5) USMA/USNA
6) The George Washington University
7) Georgetown University

West Point and Naval Academy are a bit of a stretch, especially if you're not physically fit to pass their tests and fail to get a endorsement, but it does give you a big foot up for your interests.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Your ECs aren't that lame. Maybe..."average" for what I can glean of your probably high school? I don't personally think that adding two extracurriculars is going to make you stand out or adding another AP class. I think people stress way too much over this stuff in HS.

If you're trying to figure out where to go to college...you need to ask yourself, what do you want out of college? Because the education you're going to get will be practically the same everywhere that offers your major, unless you're planning on doing grad school (which I'm guessing you're not doing that at this point in your life, haha). The UC system is probably good, but expensive and crowded. Try looking outside of it, if a smaller school is what you're looking for! Touring schools is the absolute most important thing for people deciding where they want to go to college. You need to go somewhere that you will feel comfortable living at for 4-5 years of your life.

Update, I took the GMAT studied for a weekish and got a 580. 51st percentile which I really can’t complain about given how little I studied. Would’ve put in more time but I’m working a ton of hours. I’m relying on my kickass work experience and stellar GPA to carry me and I’m not applying to any super high level bschools anyways. PM me if you have questions about the test I’m happy to share more about my experience!

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is just a friendly reminder for all of you prospective college students to consider your finances carefully. Don't make a mistake that could ruin your life for a decade or more. This is particularly important in America, where student loans are incredibly difficult to discharge through bankruptcy. Understand what you're signing, and (where relevant) ensure that your family understand what they're co-signing.

Avoid Sallie Mae/Navient like the plague.

It's going pretty well. I started early and I've also been pursuing multiple scholarships so that I won't be steeped in college debt. I've gotten emails from many ivy league and private colleges so I'll see which ones I get accepted too and go from there. My counselor has been helping me a lot also.

It's going pretty well. I started early and I've also been pursuing multiple scholarships so that I won't be steeped in college debt. I've gotten emails from many ivy league and private colleges so I'll see which ones I get accepted too and go from there. My counselor has been helping me a lot also.
Which Ivies?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What kind of emails are we talking here? I get emails from MIT, doesn't mean I can go there. Don't assume you'll be accepted until you're accepted

What kind of emails are we talking here? I get emails from MIT, doesn't mean I can go there. Don't assume you'll be accepted until you're accepted
Ye I already know that like I said I'm waiting for acceptance letters. And I also applied for financial aid programs to get assistance with tuition. Rn all I can do is wait. But I got invited to tour Harvard and attend a summer camp to get an idea of the type of University it is. The university also gave me the ability to ask any questions to actual students

Ye I already know that like I said I'm waiting for acceptance letters. And I also applied for financial aid programs to get assistance with tuition. Rn all I can do is wait. But I got invited to tour Harvard and attend a summer camp to get an idea of the type of University it is. The university also gave me the ability to ask any questions to actual students
Those are virtually useless, in my opinion. You'd have to have some really big awards or stacked extracurriculars to think you could get a spot against legacies, private school students, and donors.

Those are virtually useless, in my opinion. You'd have to have some really big awards or stacked extracurriculars to think you could get a spot against legacies, private school students, and donors.
Well I applied to many colleges so if I don't get accepted to one I have backup plans

Quick question: I'm starting to get to writing my common app essay (I'm a junior), but I really don't know how to talk about myself. Any tips on how I can get more comfortable writing about myself? (can give more details about myself if necessary)

Quick question: I'm starting to get to writing my common app essay (I'm a junior), but I really don't know how to talk about myself. Any tips on how I can get more comfortable writing about myself? (can give more details about myself if necessary)
Personally, I would just keep on writing over and over and over and over and over again. It took me a while and a lot of forcing myself to write for imaginary deadlines (or deadlines I didn't care that much about and could sort of afford screwing up, although I don't recommend this) till I finally got good at writing personal essays. I think one thing that's worth practicing is picking a topic you care a lot about and writing about that first - my guess is, more likely than not, you'll end up not talking about yourself enough in the first draft, and will instead get caught up in that topic you enjoy so much. Keep on rewriting and trying different things till it finally clicks. It's great that you're starting this early, that will definitely help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)